Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 555110 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #5640 on: October 12, 2022, 07:27:16 AM »
The third episode of Andor is by far the best Star Wars thing that Disney have ever produced. In fact, this whole show is the best Star Wars thing since RotJ.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5641 on: October 17, 2022, 11:48:42 PM »
Nearly finished episode 4 of Andor and I love how they have captured the extreme bureaucracy needed to run a tyrannical galactic empire and still make it all entertaining.

The best compliment I can pay this show is that I'd still watch it even if it wasn't a Star Wars show.

EDIT: Anton Lesser is absolutely killing it as Major Partagaz. He just oozes bureaucratic efficiency and cunning. Superb acting.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 09:11:46 AM by Potato »
Spud

« Reply #5642 on: October 28, 2022, 08:45:36 PM »
Tales of the Jedi is out and is a bore.

Each episode is about 15 minutes and fills in backstory you really weren't ever concerned about.

One good part:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yaddle the yoda clone. But only because I am feeling generous.
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5643 on: November 27, 2022, 06:41:32 AM »
I quite liked some of the episodes of Tales of the Jedi.

Finally finished Andor and it was legit good.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5644 on: December 21, 2022, 11:33:28 PM »
Haven't seen a single second of anything Star Wars since The Last Jedi.

Got Disney Plus for Beatles Get Back and figured I should catch up after hating this franchise since TLJ absolutely trashed it.

Started with TFA.

Very mediocre movie in hindsight with lots of potential. The  fake out of using Finn with a lightsaber in promoting material but then making him a Shia Lebouf no no no no no esque comedy relief sticks. Rey is an awfully boring character, compounded with being a Mary Sue. I truly think I and others were too caught up in the hype for this when it came out to see past the flaws.

Next, The Last Jedi, which I have seen only once.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5645 on: December 22, 2022, 12:32:47 AM »
13 minutes into TLJ and of course they've turned the only black character into comedy relief again. Finn blows but let's not get it twisted. He blows in TFA too. We were just blinded to it.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5646 on: December 22, 2022, 01:17:13 AM »
Ohhh, I can't wait until you get to TRoS
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5647 on: December 22, 2022, 01:59:52 AM »
I'm watching TLJ and once again I LOVE every single thing with Luke and Rey and Kylo. It's all such a refreshing take on Star Wars but more than that a wonderful deconstruction of each character. But I know that the payoff is nothing and it all resets. It's a movie that says it's going to be brave that looks outside the cave for a few minutes but goes back and never steps one foot outside. It only teases your cock but never gives a happy ending.

I will say this though, it's more interesting to watch than TFA
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 02:11:25 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5648 on: December 22, 2022, 03:22:37 AM »
TLJ is the strongest of the three sequel films for sure. Still not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination and treats established characters with utter disrespect (not just Luke etc). TRoS is a complete insult to intelligence in general, not just Star Wars.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5649 on: December 22, 2022, 03:42:36 AM »
I finished TLJ and I still don't know how to feel. It's like on the cusp of a masterpiece. A lot of things that bothered me bothered me a lot less but I still question the entire Finn/Rose b plot and the entire segment on the salt planet. Watching ROTS tomorrow. Then rewatching Rogue One.

I still disagree the movie disrespects Luke in any way and felt the movie gives him a conclusive arc.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5650 on: December 22, 2022, 03:48:06 AM »
Omfg I wanted to peep the first five minutes of ROTS and the opening crawl is so bad I'm fucking dying of laughter and I have Covid :dead :dead

The dead speak! The Galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE

:sabu :sabu :sabu
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5651 on: December 22, 2022, 03:51:34 AM »
It actually does get worse
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5652 on: December 22, 2022, 03:55:50 AM »
:sabu

Oh my goodness this movie deserves my full attention. I cannot wait to dig in to this piece of shit tomorrow :dead
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5653 on: December 22, 2022, 07:09:29 AM »
The best part about the rise of the skywalker is that the emperor reveal was made in fucking fortnite :girlaff

The film would have still sucked balls, but imagine of they did the reveal as a commercial a day or two before the film, that would have been pretty rad, even if it makes no sense for him to be back :elon
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5654 on: December 22, 2022, 07:37:17 AM »
I still disagree the movie disrespects Luke in any way and felt the movie gives him a conclusive arc.

just like any examples of poor writing, there are in fact successful ways to write a fallen/washed up Luke storyline, but TLJ fumbled it horribly

he literally left his best friends and sister to die, no matter how much he now hates the concept of a Jedi he wouldn't do that

he'd show up committing to using nothing but his own strength or piloting, cutting himself off from the Force, because helping his sister is more important than anything else

he'd even do it by way of feeble apology for fucking up her son (not true, but in his eyes)

everyone else has to already be dead, partly due to his own failings, in order for him to have nothing left to live for

he even says shit like "the Jedi created Darth Vader" and Rey says "yeah but a Jedi redeemed him too" and either the premise is so wrongheaded to begin with, or the writing is too weak to have him come up with any retort

given his history he also wouldn't even think of attacking his own nephew, he'd sit down with him and say "hey dude I know something or someone is occupying your thoughts, can we work this out, I'll go with you to confront it whatever it is" etc etc

or even flip it around, have Kylo standing over Luke with an ignited lightsaber, and Luke's failing was to dismiss him from the Jedi school

:idont
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 07:50:48 AM by Uncle »
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #5655 on: December 22, 2022, 07:43:55 AM »
Omfg I wanted to peep the first five minutes of ROTS and the opening crawl is so bad I'm fucking dying of laughter and I have Covid :dead :dead

The dead speak! The Galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE

It's really amazing how a company can spend 275 million on a movie and then the director and co-writer hand in the most half-assed script possible

Tasty

« Reply #5656 on: December 22, 2022, 11:44:09 AM »
I hated TLJ at release so much I legit thought I'd never see Ep 9... But then the script leaks and reactions made TRoS a must-see if only to be apart of a good ol' non-political-based film bashing. We don't seem to have too many of those (Morbius being the most recent).

In hindsight there's things to appreciate in TLJ. Mostly the cinematography.

Tasty

« Reply #5657 on: December 22, 2022, 11:45:28 AM »

It's really amazing how a company can spend 275 million on a movie and then the director and co-writer hand in the most half-assed script possible

To be fair there were earlier scripts. Kennedy just checked them in the trash.

Duel of the Fates is such a better movie on paper.

Himu

« Reply #5658 on: December 22, 2022, 04:20:04 PM »

just like any examples of poor writing, there are in fact successful ways to write a fallen/washed up Luke storyline, but TLJ fumbled it horribly

he literally left his best friends and sister to die, no matter how much he now hates the concept of a Jedi he wouldn't do that

he'd show up committing to using nothing but his own strength or piloting, cutting himself off from the Force, because helping his sister is more important than anything else

he'd even do it by way of feeble apology for fucking up her son (not true, but in his eyes)

everyone else has to already be dead, partly due to his own failings, in order for him to have nothing left to live for

he even says shit like "the Jedi created Darth Vader" and Rey says "yeah but a Jedi redeemed him too" and either the premise is so wrongheaded to begin with, or the writing is too weak to have him come up with any retort

given his history he also wouldn't even think of attacking his own nephew, he'd sit down with him and say "hey dude I know something or someone is occupying your thoughts, can we work this out, I'll go with you to confront it whatever it is" etc etc

or even flip it around, have Kylo standing over Luke with an ignited lightsaber, and Luke's failing was to dismiss him from the Jedi school

Here's the thing:

Rian Johnson did with what he could.

Your problem lays with JJ not him.

Who killed Han with Luke not there? JJ did. Not Rian. Who put Luke fucking Skywalker at the end of the galaxy with a hidden map to find him? JJ did. Therefore, Rian, in order to actually come up with an excuse Luke good enough to allow that to happen to fucking begin with, HAS been walked into a writing obstacle where he has validate Luke's decisions. TLJ is the result. What you cannot accept is that the premise, as given in TFA, was already shit and poisoned with nowhere to go but a few destinations. Rian took to the few places it could go for Luke's character naturally.

You say "how could he create a Luke that was fine with Han and Leia dying?" as if TFA, the movie where Luke was absolutely fine letting Han get killed by his own son, doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 04:25:05 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5659 on: December 22, 2022, 05:29:05 PM »

Here's the thing:

Rian Johnson did with what he could.

Your problem lays with JJ not him.

Who killed Han with Luke not there? JJ did. Not Rian. Who put Luke fucking Skywalker at the end of the galaxy with a hidden map to find him? JJ did. Therefore, Rian, in order to actually come up with an excuse Luke good enough to allow that to happen to fucking begin with, HAS been walked into a writing obstacle where he has validate Luke's decisions. TLJ is the result. What you cannot accept is that the premise, as given in TFA, was already shit and poisoned with nowhere to go but a few destinations. Rian took to the few places it could go for Luke's character naturally.

You say "how could he create a Luke that was fine with Han and Leia dying?" as if TFA, the movie where Luke was absolutely fine letting Han get killed by his own son, doesn't exist.

let me say to begin with, did you know that Luke didn't actually leave a hidden map to his location? TFA is horrible at communication. people just kind of vaguely know he went to a Jedi temple in a certain area but don't know where it is, and R2's map is actually data he downloaded from the Death Star all those years ago that contains information on the location of Jedi temples. so for starters, forget the idea that there was a map "hidden" anywhere, he literally just went to a Jedi temple and they found old data that gave them a good guess as to where he went

regardless of that, there are approximately 5 million other possibilities for what you can do with the story where JJ left it

just off the top of my head:

• Rey is face to face with Luke. Luke says "why have you disturbed my meditation?" she says why, Luke says "oh shit we gotta go help Leia" and they leave, literally nothing wrong with this
  • Luke's X-Wing malfunctioned/crashed and he's just been stranded and that's why he didn't come back. His attitude and reveals about Ben can be whatever you want
  • Rey tries to give Luke the lightsaber. He says nothing and does nothing, and she is perturbed by this, goes to thrust the saber into his hand...it passes through him, Luke is a hologram. He's somewhere else and left a message here for those who might come looking for him. Now you can do anything you want with Luke and find him at the end for a cool return in the third movie. Note this is just as much a surprise fake out to the audience as what Rian actually went with (tossing it over his shoulder)
  • Rey is face to face with Luke. Luke says "I don't know who you are but you fucked up coming here. Turns out this place was a popular Jedi temple for meditation because it contains a dampening field that suppresses launch thrusters, with only a small window for escape once every 10 years. It gave prospective Jedi no choice but to stay grounded and focus on their training. And now you are stuck here with me, though I would love to be able to escape and help my sister." Now the two of them can work together, get to know each other and find a solution to escape

here's the best one: at the end of TFA we have still never seen Snoke in the flesh and have no idea who he is. Rey meets Luke and they talk about the galactic situation, but Luke seems confident that Snoke is present on ach-to, Rey asks who Snoke is and we get an entire back story. Later, surprise, the twist of the second movie is that who we thought was Luke was Snoke in a Force disguise all along, and he knew so much about Snoke because he literally was him. Luke has been captured and tortured in the caverns below all along. Snoke tries to corrupt Rey too but fails and she saves Luke as Snoke escapes. Perfectly geared up for a triumphant team-up third movie

Luke doesn't have to be "fine" with Han's death, he just has to be stranded or otherwise out of commission

and also notice that in all of these situations, you can still do whatever you want with Ben, have a completely different story for why he split from Luke

and you can also do whatever you want with everyone else, they don't have to be on a long slow chase as the final remnants of any resistance, you don't even need to have Rose Tico at all if you want
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:55:32 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5660 on: December 22, 2022, 05:42:47 PM »
It’s all really bad, and was doomed to failure the moment they failed to make Finn’s journey the core storyline with Ben’s the secondary storyline.  A former stormtrooper trying to become a Jedi and fight the good fight under the tutelage of your classic heroic trio, and a family trying to bring back a son gone down a bad path, that’s all that was needed.  We don’t need another sand rat of unknown beginnings becoming Space Jesus (but this time new and improved! Perfect from the start, has no flaws they need to overcome!), we don’t need another empire vs rebellion, we don’t need yet another Death Star, and we certainly don’t need another fucking emperor.

If someone now asks my thoughts about Star Wars (and Trek for that matter), I just tell them to check out Farscape instead, that way they avoid all the wretched garbage of modern Hollywood and still come out with a banger of a sci-fi story.

Himu

« Reply #5661 on: December 22, 2022, 06:07:28 PM »
You can pick on Rian Johnson all you want, but make a Luke that wants the Jedi gone is interesting, and he's right. To think there's no Light without Jedi is vanity. Everything he said was correct.

It was JJ and Disney that didn't give this a nice solid headstart and plan by not making Finn the main character and the story about a stormtrooper that redeems himself and a Jedi that falls to the dark - two opposite streams who find themselves where the other once stood. Instead we get a Mary Sue girl who is just good with the Force. The End.

Sequel Trilogy sucked from the get go.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5662 on: December 22, 2022, 06:08:09 PM »
I think Rian Johnson was just overwhelmed with The Last Jedi and the opportunity to work with the likes of Mark Hamill and Disney in general.
The things that people mostly dislike about The Last Jedi don't match up with any of his previous work at all. I think that there was a lot of corporate meddling but Johnson doesn't want to burn any bridges.

When you look at Looper and Knives Out he added in some stuff like the family having a debate about politics but he didn't try to push any particular agenda or point of view. 
He emphasized some characteristics of the rich spoiled family to make sure you wanted all of them to lose (and they ultimately did).

He's also known to make movies that are quite fast paced. Knives Out isn't slow for a detective type film, it moves pretty quickly after the first 20 minutes or so, the same with Looper.

With The Last Jedi you could pretty much tell which things were added so Disney could check diversity checkboxes or make action figures.
I think that his overall direction of the film was quite interesting (far more interesting than what JJ attempted). The theme of Kylo and Rey both chasing and being haunted by 'ghosts from the past'.
The general idea of Luke being a hermit who has detached himself from the world is also not that different from how Yoda had isolated himself.

With that said, I think it would've been better if Johnson had made the Han Solo or Rogue One spin-off instead of the 2nd episode in a trilogy of films or the 8th in a 9 movie arc.
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5663 on: December 22, 2022, 06:30:38 PM »
You can pick on Rian Johnson all you want, but make a Luke that wants the Jedi gone is interesting, and he's right. To think there's no Light without Jedi is vanity. Everything he said was correct.

Rian didn't even believe this

by the end of his own movie he's subverted everything everyone keeps trotting out as being so brilliant and inspiring, he didn't commit to any of it, and in fact puppeted out yoda to say why luke was wrong, and had luke refute the actual title of the movie

the movie should've ended with kylo reaching out to rey after asking for her support, which mirrors the ending of TFA with a similar reach
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #5664 on: December 22, 2022, 06:35:20 PM »

by the end of his own movie he's subverted everything everyone keeps trotting out as being so brilliant and inspiring, he didn't commit to any of it, and in fact puppeted out yoda to say why luke was wrong, and had luke refute the actual title of the movie

the movie should've ended with kylo reaching out to rey after asking for her support, which mirrors the ending of TFA with a similar reach

I agree about the lack of commitment and if you read my thoughts on the movie it's my biggest problem with it. I think he wanted to commit but Disney made him back out. Once Rose says "we fight for what we love" it gets all Disney on us.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5665 on: December 22, 2022, 06:50:43 PM »
No matter what your thoughts, what is the most unbelievable in all of this is that somehow Disney entered into the development of a three movie sequel series to a 6 movie story arc WITHOUT an overarching plot and no control over what the directors were going to do with characters that had been solidly characterised for decades. This is in spite of owning the biggest movie franchise in history which has been successful BECAUSE it has had a long-term plot mapped out before they even began filming anything.

The whole thing is astounding.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5666 on: December 22, 2022, 07:01:31 PM »

I agree about the lack of commitment and if you read my thoughts on the movie it's my biggest problem with it. I think he wanted to commit but Disney made him back out. Once Rose says "we fight for what we love" it gets all Disney on us.

doesn't seem right to say literally anything wrong with the film is everyone's fault but Rian's

oh it was Disney, oh it was JJ, or maybe the guy just made a shitty film
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5667 on: December 22, 2022, 07:24:33 PM »
No matter what your thoughts, what is the most unbelievable in all of this is that somehow Disney entered into the development of a three movie sequel series to a 6 movie story arc WITHOUT an overarching plot and no control over what the directors were going to do with characters that had been solidly characterised for decades. This is in spite of owning the biggest movie franchise in history which has been successful BECAUSE it has had a long-term plot mapped out before they even began filming anything.

The whole thing is astounding.
You forgot the part where when they decided to dump the guy they had wrap up the trilogy they went back to the guy who they hired who hadn't bothered to do any of that stuff in the first place and has an aversion to wrapping up stories at all. :lol

Himu

« Reply #5668 on: December 23, 2022, 03:23:56 AM »
I hated TLJ at release so much I legit thought I'd never see Ep 9... But then the script leaks and reactions made TRoS a must-see if only to be apart of a good ol' non-political-based film bashing. We don't seem to have too many of those (Morbius being the most recent).

There's so much to appreciate in TLJ even if it doesn't entirely work. The visuals and everything are wonderful. The salt planet seems like a hoth retread but it works so well with the films theme. We are one wind blow away turning from white to red. I wanted more on Luke's Jedi planet. I loved everything with the Caretakers and the Porgs. That low key silhuouette shot with "The jedi must end." Whew! Film is an amazing looker.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5669 on: December 23, 2022, 03:51:36 AM »
"we decoded the Intel from the First Order spy...and it confirms the worst. Somehow Palpatine returned."

:dead :dead :dead

Holy fucking shit these characters trying to force C3P0 TO TRANSLATE SITH WRITING HAS ME ALMOST THROWING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL HOLY FUCK LEAVE C3P0 ALONE. And then Rey the sole Jedi, isn't in 3p0's corner and is like,"any flirtation with the dark side, even a translation, is a transgression and road we can never walk. We will find another way." Holy shit I was expecting this movie to be hilarious but it's frustrating and insulting to any Star Wars fan.

Letting the bad guys haul in the Falcon?! At this point I'm readily rooting for Palp
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 04:51:13 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5670 on: December 23, 2022, 04:55:47 AM »
BB-8 finds a droid on the abandoned ship

Rey reaches out to touch it

Droid backs out

"No thank you "

"Someone harmed it. It's okay you can trust us."

AS THEY TRAVEL ON THE WAY TO A BLACK MARKET DROIDSMITH SO THEY CAN CIRCUMVENT C3P0'S CODING THAT DISALLOWS HIM TO TRANSLATE SITH LANGUAGE WHICH THEY DON'T RESPECT

:stop

Sjdbfbsjbebfkanw :snoop
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:04:57 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5671 on: December 23, 2022, 09:41:23 PM »

There's so much to appreciate in TLJ even if it doesn't entirely work. The visuals and everything are wonderful. The salt planet seems like a hoth retread but it works so well with the films theme. We are one wind blow away turning from white to red. I wanted more on Luke's Jedi planet. I loved everything with the Caretakers and the Porgs. That low key silhuouette shot with "The jedi must end." Whew! Film is an amazing looker.

This shot. I can't pinpoint any other movie that inspired the feeling "I dreamt this as a kid" (right down to placement and color/lighting/etc.) as strongly as this one shot. A figment rendered flawlessly.

benjipwns

« Reply #5672 on: December 23, 2022, 10:17:15 PM »
The Last Jedi is quite beautiful, the JJ ones are more like STAR WARS HD TEXTURE PACK™ but Rogue One suggests this probably was not JJ's personal achievement and instead something LucasArts could easily do which makes some sense.

Himu

« Reply #5673 on: December 23, 2022, 10:19:25 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

This shot. I can't pinpoint any other movie that inspired the feeling "I dreamt this as a kid" (right down to placement and color/lighting/etc.) as strongly as this one shot. A figment rendered flawlessly.

Rise of the Skywalker isn't nearly as much a looker cinematically or thematically. It's pretty forgettable.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5674 on: December 23, 2022, 10:29:04 PM »
Mandalorian Ep 1

Most refreshing thing from Star Wars in generations. Holy shit. My old Star Wars fanboy heart is beating and I thought it was gone.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5675 on: December 23, 2022, 11:05:28 PM »
Mandalorian Ep 1

Most refreshing thing from Star Wars in generations. Holy shit. My old Star Wars fanboy heart is beating and I thought it was gone.
Wait until you get to Andor. Not only a fantastic Star Wars show, but a fantastic show. Period.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5676 on: December 24, 2022, 03:39:01 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

The thing about this shot is usually when you make a hero against the odds shot, you do so to make the hero look small and the villains and their might look big to create size differential. In this shot it's the opposite: Luke is taller than the First Order's might. It's incredible case of breaking the rules to articulate and sell narrative. Nothing is empty in this shot, everything is placed perfectly to make a well balanced composition. It's truly perfect.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5677 on: December 25, 2022, 02:17:03 AM »
The Mandalorian season 1

Completed! Goooooooooooooooood shit! Excellent use of old style episodic television combined with serialization. Great combination of westerns, Lone Wolf and Cub, and the most fascinating portrayal of post Jedi Star Wars put to screen. The best thing to happen to Star Wars in arguably generations.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5678 on: December 25, 2022, 05:16:08 AM »
Andor. Do it. Don't bother with anything else.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5679 on: December 25, 2022, 10:22:45 AM »
Finishing Mando s2 first.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5680 on: December 26, 2022, 03:35:09 PM »
Finishing Mando s2 first.

a.k.a Pilot Season for Upcoming Shows On Disney +

Himu

« Reply #5681 on: December 26, 2022, 09:45:45 PM »
Okay. Baby Yoda eating frogs, okay. But eating the frog lady's frog babies was too much for me especially after her extinction speech. JFC it's not funny.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5682 on: December 26, 2022, 11:52:23 PM »
Rogue One

Much better than I remember. I was wrong about it. The best Star Wars film of the new era easily. Haven't seen Solo though.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #5683 on: December 27, 2022, 12:54:31 AM »
Rogue One's good because it actually started from a premise and was entirely self-contained. It's extra funny because Disney took it away, reshot it and edited the fuck out of it but they still couldn't ruin it because the core idea was too good. My favorite part is when they dropped all those shots in the first trailer that hyped everyone from the movie.

I still liked it enough to where I don't even want to complain about the Vader wank that ends it because it was the one of the few times Vader actually acted like his reputation and did so just because he was really annoyed. :lol

Obligatory:

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5684 on: December 27, 2022, 05:28:34 AM »
Rogue One

Much better than I remember. I was wrong about it. The best Star Wars film of the new era easily. Haven't seen Solo though.
Solo is decent but a very generic heist film. you could replace the cast with the Fast & Furious gang or Guardians of the Galaxy and it wouldn't make a difference.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #5685 on: December 27, 2022, 10:51:16 AM »
Rogue One's good because it actually started from a premise and was entirely self-contained. It's extra funny because Disney took it away, reshot it and edited the fuck out of it but they still couldn't ruin it because the core idea was too good. My favorite part is when they dropped all those shots in the first trailer that hyped everyone from the movie.

I still liked it enough to where I don't even want to complain about the Vader wank that ends it because it was the one of the few times Vader actually acted like his reputation and did so just because he was really annoyed. :lol

Obligatory:

To be fair, the director's admitted they shot a lot of those just for the trailer. Including the ending shot of Jeyn being lit up.

https://gizmodo.com/why-the-rogue-one-trailers-most-iconic-shot-never-appea-1790910745

Himu

« Reply #5686 on: December 27, 2022, 01:00:29 PM »
Andor EP 1

Refreshing just like Rogue One!
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #5687 on: December 27, 2022, 06:53:33 PM »
To be fair, the director's admitted they shot a lot of those just for the trailer. Including the ending shot of Jeyn being lit up.

https://gizmodo.com/why-the-rogue-one-trailers-most-iconic-shot-never-appea-1790910745
Well, that's even dumber.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5688 on: December 27, 2022, 07:02:58 PM »
The worst thing about Rogue One is that it's a heist movie without much of a heist. Too much action, not enough espionage.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #5689 on: December 27, 2022, 07:09:08 PM »
It's one of those heists where somebody tells them everything about it first and they really just run into problems along the way rather than it being very elaborate. I think the characters could have been better too, they aren't exactly rogues, everybody has more noble reasons than even Han Solo who's a fake rogue. They didn't even bother with setting up some kind of mercenary who decides to not betray the team in the moment because that's just how bad the Death Star is. :lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5690 on: December 27, 2022, 08:18:49 PM »
I still question the decision of showing one of the main heroes shoot his buddy in the back right from the outset

it didn't feel like that was the kind of character he played for the entire rest of the movie, and there are so many other possible creative decisions that would've established him as a rogue without making him a murderous dick

jyn was also unlikeable from the outset, I found it hard to get invested in much of the group
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #5691 on: December 27, 2022, 09:21:53 PM »
I liked Jyn. Cassian is the person that needed selling but they did a good job showing that he's done bad things for the Rebellion and this time he wanted to do something that counted for something. The group of characters was the weakest link in the film and continues to be. It would have been better if there were no "main character" as we had flashbacks of each character and why they were doing this. After all, if it's an ensemble film and it's about the group the group should all have equal weight. The focus on Jyn, as much as I like her, muddles the story. It's like Oceans 11 if it focused way too much on George Clooney's character. What makes a successful heist story work is learning about the ensemble so we can learn their strengths, their weaknesses. As it is, we have a Donnie Yen obsessed with the Force with no clarified reasoning as to his relationship with it besides a single line about the crystal farm. The movie tells but doesn't show nearly as much. This is where it falls to convince.

It's a really good movie. Has flaws but perfect is the enemy of the good, especially in an era with Rise of the Skywalker.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 09:26:45 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5692 on: December 27, 2022, 10:54:00 PM »
Andor is even better than Mandalorian season 1. Holy fuck, Star Wars is having a creative resurgence. I never thought I'd ever see the day. I remember seeing the Rogue One and Last Jedi and just completely killing my Star Wars fandom because I realized,"Star Wars will never be anything other than Jedi and the Force. It's a limiting, inferior, piece meal franchise made to sell toys. Its better days stopped after 1983. There's only one franchise with Star in it that has merit and it doesn't end in Wars." And here we are, with something as good as Andor. Not a Jedi or Sith in sight, just people, and the boots of fascism in their muddy, bloody tracks.

Andor and Mandalorian remind me of stuff we got before the nerd culture boom, before it was all dad jokes and consumerist dribble, where the stories are made to make the audience think as much as entertain them. I have no idea what is going on at Lucasfilm but I am loving their new direction in a post-Skywalker world. George's legacy may truly become what it always had the potential to be.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5693 on: December 28, 2022, 01:50:14 AM »
Told you
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5694 on: December 29, 2022, 01:26:34 PM »
It has been forever since I've seen something where I had no idea what was going to happen next.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5695 on: December 30, 2022, 11:23:18 PM »
Finished Andor s1 and I was so disappointed there wasn't a s2 available immediately after. Damn, I'm hooked. By the end of it I was so jealous of the writers. I can write but can I write like that? And by that I mean, make me care about a bunch of no name characters within a few minutes. Over and over, time after time, this show manages to take characters that are seemingly strangers and make real and fleshed out within just a few scenes. I have to rewatch tit again while taking notes to learn how this show writes characters because holy shit it had me actually pausing and asking,"how are they able to do this over and over?" By the end of the season there's so many characters we care about, even the antagonists who are seemingly evil, as they all meet in one giant ensemble as if a painting. Like, we barely know the kid who made the pipebomb but we feel for him and doesn't say shit, maybe a couple of lines at most throughout the entire season. "How did these writers pull this off?" I haven't seen a show or movie make me think like that which is modern and contemporary in a VERY long time. I am beyond impressed. "How do I write like that?" is the highest compliment I can give something.

Mando s2 is pretty boring so far. It's also too serialized. It's like they don't understand what made s1 so good.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 11:28:53 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5696 on: December 31, 2022, 12:12:34 AM »
I think it's a combination of great writing, acting and directing that comes together for Andor. There's plenty of well written shows that fall flat because they don't have one of those essential elements.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5697 on: December 31, 2022, 01:23:33 AM »
I really hope they don't adapt to the dumb people that call Andor "slow" and "boring" because it doesn't have Jedi or Sith or the Force and start to pander to them.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #5698 on: December 31, 2022, 01:48:20 AM »
The Disney+ exec producers have been given pretty decent amounts of power over these. Filoni and Favreau have particularly been elevated quite a bit by Disney.

Himu

« Reply #5699 on: January 06, 2023, 11:23:50 PM »
Mandalorian s2 is utterly horrific.

It's like a video game. Mando asks for help, someone says,"sure thing....if you help us first" almost every damn episode. It's like an open world video game with sidequests and it's the most tedious shit ever how they're trying to serialize something that was so episodic and benefited from that story format.

It makes me worry they'll fuck up Andor s2.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 02:24:07 AM by Himu »
IYKYK