Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 550876 times)

Wrath2X

It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:33:03 AM »
Teaser was alright, looked like Star Wars. Here's a link:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lucasfilm/starwarstheforceawakens/

special fellow out here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:57:51 PM by Great Rumbler »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
quicktime?  :ufup

sarslip

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »
it looked aiight but  jj abrams still a moist ass director  :pacspit 

all that cgi too  :trash

Himu

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
Kermit.gif X INFINITY
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
THAT LIGHT LANCE.
IYKYK

thabiz

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
pass

sarslip

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
seeing Episode One on opening night, one of the spergiest spergsappointments of my teen youth  :shaq2

Himu

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
THAT VOICE OVER :lawd
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
Will be the first movie I have seen day 1 since.....ever.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »
THAT LIGHT LANCE.

More like a light Broadsword but still :hyper
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »
THAT LIGHT LANCE.

More like a light Broadsword but still :hyper

I hope somebody debuts light whips in this one. Sounds dope.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
Looks like a star wars movie. :yeshrug not really interested in troopera or the empire anymore.

:mouf
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
I am much more excited for JJ Abrams' Star Trek aesthetic applied to Star Wars than whatever the fuck Lucas tried doing with the prequels.  The last two Star Treks were pretty great Star Wars movies themselves.

This looks like great fun.  I am definitely hyped, but I am not expecting this to in any way continue the OT's legacy or wipe away the PT's sins.  Just...a fun movie!

Hilt's a little strange tho
püp

Cheddahz

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
stormtropper looked shook at the beginning of the trailer

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
I'm awaiting the SJW affront to this teaser on GAF

"Not enough women in power positions"

"Where are the <insert minority here> at?"
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
WHO CARES

:hyper
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »
WHO CARES

I surely don't babe. I'm just waiting since it's now "cool" to be offended by the most awesomest things in this world.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
INDEED DONT CARE

LIGHT BROADSWORD

IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
Well, it will be a vastly different universe than the EU that was... given how bad they mucked it up, that's fine, I suppose.

But yeah, looks like loads of Stormtroopers on Tattooine 30 years after Death Star II... which is odd... and Boyega is playing or is just impersonating a Stormtrooper, Isaac is a Rebellion (or New Republic) fighter pilot?  Neat.  Will look forward to finding out more about the new folks.

EU went to shit right around the Vong invasion. What the BLUE FUCK was that all about.

OMG brehs intelligent plants are coming. Oh yeah and the force doesn't work...except it does...except it doesn't...chewbacca is dead....fuck you.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »
I'm surprised they went with this instead of another full reboot (of course the latter takes more effort and talent). The 'remnants of the empire' storylines were always the most boring stuff in the expanded universe they decided to destroy, not sure why they're going with this apart from a need to shoehorn all the old characters from the first movies in. I'm sure it'll be a decent action flick since the Star Treks were alright, but as someone who considers himself a pretty big star wars guy the whole setting of this movie doesn't get me hype.

Hopefully this means we can start getting more star wars games this time :rejoice battlefront soon come

Battlefront....hell yeah I'm kicking all your borian asses on that shit.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
Well, it will be a vastly different universe than the EU that was... given how bad they mucked it up, that's fine, I suppose.

But yeah, looks like loads of Stormtroopers on Tattooine 30 years after Death Star II... which is odd... and Boyega is playing or is just impersonating a Stormtrooper, Isaac is a Rebellion (or New Republic) fighter pilot?  Neat.  Will look forward to finding out more about the new folks.

EU went to shit right around the Vong invasion. What the BLUE FUCK was that all about.

OMG brehs intelligent plants are coming. Oh yeah and the force doesn't work...except it does...except it doesn't...chewbacca is dead....fuck you.

I quit at the Vong stuff, too.  I've read plot summaries - it certainty didn't get better afterwards.

I was super glad they didn't go that route for the movies.....I had a slight tinge of fear on that.
YMMV

E-DuB

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »
INDEED DONT CARE

LIGHT BROADSWORD

This x 1000. However I found it interesting that they presented a storm trooper sans a helmet. Weren't these guys supposed to be nameless, faceless replicants? Is this bugger going to get into some shit?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
EU was and always has been trash. The only good star wars stuff is the original movies.

Timothy Zahn = no, fuck you.

Is he the guy who did the books on that blue guy? Then yes, he was pretty good.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »
INDEED DONT CARE

LIGHT BROADSWORD

This x 1000. However I found it interesting that they presented a storm trooper sans a helmet. Weren't these guys supposed to be nameless, faceless replicants? Is this bugger going to get into some shit?

He could be just "borrowing" the outfit as is commonplace on these movies.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »
INDEED DONT CARE

LIGHT BROADSWORD

I think they probably retconned it
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
when the emperor came to power, he realized that an army of strictly clones wouldn't cut galactic imperialism, and decided to recruit regular joe shmoes as well via local indoctrination and training facilities

I'm sad I know that
püp

bunny

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 11:18:27 AM »
Bet the white girl falls in love with the black guy, oy vey

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 11:18:47 AM »
Bet the white girl falls in love with the black guy, oy vey

:mynicca

Don't hate because our stormtrooper outfits have modifications for bigger package protection, breh.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
We really know this is what would be happening
[close]
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
Seriously though, the best part of the SW universe was the possibilities, and that's why i kept buying the games and occasional book / comic as a kid. Like, what kind of weird ass aliens will be on this planet. What strange part of the jedi/force will this story reveal? What kind of society is on this planet? Cool new ships/gadgets? Because for me the actual stories werent very good, it's why (IMO) SW translates so well to games, the visual and exploration aspect made it perfect for games like KotoR and Jedi Knight.

So when you see tie fighters, the millenium falcon, tatooine, stormtroopers, x-wings and you know there's a recycled cast coming (Image removed from quote.)

I think this makes a bad argument because of course they're showing this stuff off. You think they'd advertise what's NEW in the new trilogy when they're trying to make OT fans have a modicum of excitement? They want to butter up the old fans before anything else. Personally I never found SW like that, though I can see how you would. For me, SW was always about action and adventure in a nice package. It just scratches a particular itch and the exploratory/discovery thing was always more Trek's lane than Star Wars for me. That trailer had everything I like and expect from Star Wars: strange worlds with strange inhabitants, bad ass imagery, SPACE FIGHTS :gun, gun shoot outs, and laser swords with a nice brisk pace.
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »
No Adam Driver :(

Timber

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
this is gonna be an enjoyable and completely forgettable movie. which is probably the most anyone can hope for.
w/e

sarslip

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
it's fitting that the guy responsible for making star trek generic is now gonna do the same for star wars, as i always would confuse the two as a kid

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
As has been touched on before JJ is probably more suited for Star Wars than he was for Stark Trek at least when it comes to what I expected from Star Trek.

I think the movies will almost certainly be solid movies. I'm not sure JJ is capable of making something timeless in the way the original movies are but I guess we'll see.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »
At this point, I'll settle for something competent out of the new movies, which I'm confident Abrams can deliver. Let's be real, the prequels shat all over the goodwill built up for this franchise so much that I think we'll all just be happy if we get something better than that.
yar

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
Light broadsword :lol That's some gimmicky bullshit.
zzzzz

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »
Ok that looks badass. I'm guessing we'll get an extended trailer for the Superbowl, with Luke/Han/Leia.

Admittedly my anticipation is largely based around the fact that there's virtually no way this could be worse than the prequels. Abrams is overrated but he gets Star Wars, whereas he clearly didn't "get" Star Trek imo and made it something it's not.

Himu

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
Why does everyone think that Abrams is doing the entire trilogy?
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »
Probably most people don't follow movie news that much and since he's doing the first most people assume he would do the others.

Himu

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
The language in a lot of posts suggests people think he's doing more than one movie though.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »
He is.  He's producing all of them, AFAIR
püp

Himu

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »
Producing != directing
IYKYK

sarslip

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »
gimmicky bullshit.

everything falling into place.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
writing>directing

It's not going to be hard to find someone with a nice visual eye for space shit, made even easier due to Abrams already having guidelines down for practical effects. It's harder to get a script that isn't distinguished mentally-challenged. However as I said, there's no way it'll be worse than Lucas' dialogue so I'm cool.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 12:49:09 PM »
I like the broadsword saber but when you think about it, the point of a broadsword crossguard is to avoid getting your hand fucked up. But if you're a jedi or sith, you're capable of blocking laser shots with your eye closed, why would you need protection of any kind lol.

But fuck it, looks cool to me.

cool breeze

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
looks good.  looked like a JJ Abrams made Star Wars movie, some straight up Spielberg boner shots.  and the prospect of a lightsaber fight in a snowy forest is pretty awesome.

Himu

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 01:08:04 PM »
I like the broadsword saber but when you think about it, the point of a broadsword crossguard is to avoid getting your hand fucked up. But if you're a jedi or sith, you're capable of blocking laser shots with your eye closed, why would you need protection of any kind lol.

Because the light saber offers zero protection to the hand and we've seen two hands cut off in the series from them? It actually makes a lot of sense but nerds gotta wah wah
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »

Because the light saber offers zero protection to the hand and we've seen two hands cut off in the series from them? It actually makes a lot of sense but nerds gotta wah wah

3 times- Count Dookie had his hands cut off in the last prequel.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »
oh shit you're right. I guess jedis and siths ain't shit.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 01:39:32 PM »
writing>directing

It's not going to be hard to find someone with a nice visual eye for space shit, made even easier due to Abrams already having guidelines down for practical effects. It's harder to get a script that isn't distinguished mentally-challenged. However as I said, there's no way it'll be worse than Lucas' dialogue so I'm cool.

Force Awakens is written by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan; Rian Johnson is currently the only writer announced for the two sequels, though that could change.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »

3 times- Count Dookie had his hands cut off in the last prequel.

also anakin chopped off samuel l jackson's hand.

who knows, the energy blade of this broadsword lightsaber is all crackling and unstable compared to others shown.  maybe it's meant to look more eviler, or maybe it's a sith struggle and he's can't build a proper lightsaber.

I also like the the lightsaber used as a light source.  the series is inconsistent about that but it's something in the games. 

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
No Adam Driver :(
pretty sure he's the narrator, and I'm somewhat sure he's the sith-lookin fella
SRY

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
The best thing about the SW universe is the darkside of the foce everyone gets red light sabers, black cloaks and cool eyes. Also, they get to kill children.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »
that's definitely adam driver, hope his dorky lookin face has a mask on it

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »
when the emperor came to power, he realized that an army of strictly clones wouldn't cut galactic imperialism, and decided to recruit regular joe shmoes as well via local indoctrination and training facilities

I'm sad I know that

As the archbishop of arcana I absolve you of your nerd shame. *makes the sign of the aquila*

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »
trailer nails it, it speaks deeply to that 12 y/o special fellow in me

:mouf  :aah
◕‿◕

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2014, 05:03:49 PM »
So, I think the lightsaber looks cool

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
black man doing his thing in the galaxy baby
reckt

bunny

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
So, I think the lightsaber looks cool and all, but, I do want to point out that you couldn't actually use those sidesabers to block like a crossguard.

The little hilt nubs stick out near the top of the main hilt.  Those aren't made of energy.  A lightsaber would cut right through them.  You strike blades with him, and then you just bring your blade down, and then no more "crossguard," leaving sith-y with a fairly broken, maybe still functional, pretty standard lightsaber with a grip that you'd better be very careful with lest you stick it into the beam.

BUUUUUT.  Could be very useful in all those close quarter Jedi / Sith and / or Dark Jedi fights when they're striking sabers and grunting at each other, because then all of a sudden you can have your hilt spring a lightsaber into their face.

i'm sure i would just lightstab myself in the chest with those side glowy thingies, but i guess that's why i'm not a jedi or sith or whatever
QED

El Babua

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »
I like how the force was some mystical thing in the earlier movies and is now just an excuse to make crazier looking space swords.