Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557480 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #660 on: December 19, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
I mean the thing is, why is there a separate Resistance? Why is'nt the Republic just fighting the Empire Remnants/First order/whatever. It would be a lot less dumb if it was just the Galactic Republic. Separating them from the the Galactic Republic just so you can use a word that sounds like Rebels is really dumb. I mean you really don't call a group a Resistance or Rebels against a group that isn't actually a dominating power.

Still a fun movie though.

Mods Help

« Reply #661 on: December 19, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
From reddit, from someone who could explain it better than me:

Some fans have complained that if there was a government of the "New Republic" then why was there a "Resistance"; wouldn't it just be the military of that New Republic?

After ROTJ, the remnants of the Empire fell back to territories outside of Alliance control. Presumably, some form of truce was made between the new First Order and the New Republic.

However, the First Order started building a much larger military force in the years leading up to TFA, including rumors of a new super weapon. This prompted the New Republic to arm and fund Resistance rebels living under First Order control in order to gain a foothold for the coming conflict and potentially destabilize the First Order while not declaring outright war.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #662 on: December 19, 2015, 06:18:43 PM »
Saw the movie this morning.  Brief musings:

-I liked this movie.  I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, but I enjoyed watching this.  It didn't feel like the Lucas movies in a lot of ways -particularly the dialogue- and that's a good thing.
-At the same time, this really was "A New Hope 2.0."  A lot of similarities there. 
-When Han Solo appeared, he just took over the screen.  Everybody else took a back seat to him.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Don't like the way he went out.  Should have died doing something more fitting of his character.
[close]
-The actor who played Kylo Ren is not exactly the most attractive fellow out there and looked flat-out goofy with that hairstyle.  When he took off the helmet, I was like "No, NO!!  PUT IT BACK ON!!"  :lol
-Some of the fan servicey stuff was a little too much. 
Did we really need the Millennium Falcon again? Just having it appear and Rey saying it was junk and not to bother would have been a perfect little easter egg joke.
[close]
-They did a good job of establishing the characters' personalities and back stories very quickly, without needing to go into too much.  I like that the Force stuff was back to being something magical/mystical again.
-That new 'ace pilot' character didn't get enough screen time.  I thought he was basically going to be the new Han.  Maybe in the sequel.
-BB-8 is a much more likable droid character than C-3PO and R2D2.
-It felt weird knowing that Mark Hamill was back and yet
his role in the movie was essentially like a cameo appearance at the end.
[close]
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #663 on: December 19, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
Some fans have complained that if there was a government of the "New Republic" then why was there a "Resistance"; wouldn't it just be the military of that New Republic?

After ROTJ, the remnants of the Empire fell back to territories outside of Alliance control. Presumably, some form of truce was made between the new First Order and the New Republic.

However, the First Order started building a much larger military force in the years leading up to TFA, including rumors of a new super weapon. This prompted the New Republic to arm and fund Resistance rebels living under First Order control in order to gain a foothold for the coming conflict and potentially destabilize the First Order while not declaring outright war.
The problem is that the film doesn't even begin to discuss this. Taking just the film we have the Empire which has re-branded itself but is otherwise exactly the same (except more powerful) using all the same soldiers outfits and fighters and resources and so on, a new bunch of rebels who are now resistance, and somebody said there was a Republic but all their top people (Leia, Ackbar) are hanging out with the resistance surviving on minimal resources (that they'll arguably have even less of after this film) that all happen to be the things the rebels used rather than seemingly appropriating any of the now abandoned Empire reserves.

The Starkiller weapon seems to be a bit more of a big deal than "oh yeah, let's give a few extra X-Wings to the resistance" considering the First Order could have spent the entire timeline of this movie firing it at every system within range and seems like something you would want to nip in the bud early on. But never the less, the Republic still allowed them to blow up their home system and entire fleet with it rather than "risk" war.

The film essentially clears the board of what was "supposed to have happened" (even according to this reboot) in the prior three decades to reestablish the state of things pre-ESB.

benjipwns

« Reply #664 on: December 19, 2015, 09:12:45 PM »
I think one of the best parts about Thrawn was that the galaxy was now "up for grabs" both diplomatically and militarily, the New Republic was trying to hold together without a common foe and fear that it would fail like the Old one (which was also seen as oppressive/distrustful before it became an Empire in the old EU and in Lucas' brilliant Kubrickian prequel trilogy), the remnants of the Empire were trying to find what they could to stop themselves being rolled back farther and the encroaching of what they viewed as galactic anarchy and chaos. Heavily outdated technology was being fought over to either gain or deny it to the other side simply because so much was in flux and a few slight advantages here and there could be big ones in the moment. Same with making treaties with otherwise non-important races and then the story showed how they could become important simply due to outside events.

I think Lucas ran into that challenge when making us uncomfortable as humans and challenging our racist preconceptions in the prequel trilogy in that if the "good" guys (aka human-supremacists) aren't weaker the "bad" guys don't feel like a threat (Trade Federation, the openly fake Separatists) and if you're rehashing the original trilogy it's the same ol' the weaker good guys will triumph over the powerful bad guys which the original Star War probably would not have easily as gotten away with doing two more times over had it not gone batshit crazy in expanding the mythology in Empire and Jedi. (Lucas' admits until he figured out the Vader/Luke twist and the backwards ramifications from it, Empire's script was garbage and he didn't necessarily want to continue. As TA noted, the original was Flash Gordon inspired.)

VIII, IX and all the rest can still be great as VII is ultimately irrelevant, but J.J. just J.J.'d us. Again.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #665 on: December 19, 2015, 09:29:54 PM »
I liked it, got spoiled the big moment but it was still solid and the second best in the series

The new characters are awesome, they did a great job establishing their personalities

Mods Help

« Reply #666 on: December 19, 2015, 10:25:16 PM »
I think Lucas ran into that challenge when making us uncomfortable as humans and challenging our racist preconceptions in the prequel trilogy in that if the "good" guys (aka human-supremacists) aren't weaker the "bad" guys don't feel like a threat (Trade Federation, the openly fake Separatists) and if you're rehashing the original trilogy it's the same ol' the weaker good guys will triumph over the powerful bad guys which the original Star War probably would not have easily as gotten away with doing two more times over had it not gone batshit crazy in expanding the mythology in Empire and Jedi. (Lucas' admits until he figured out the Vader/Luke twist and the backwards ramifications from it, Empire's script was garbage and he didn't necessarily want to continue. As TA noted, the original was Flash Gordon inspired.)

VIII, IX and all the rest can still be great as VII is ultimately irrelevant, but J.J. just J.J.'d us. Again.

Huh? I don't think the movie works in that way at all. If anything, if gives a lot of pathos towards the villains even, namely Ren. In the old trilogy, besides ESB, the heroes are never really weak. They sneak into the Death Star and for the most part it ain't no thang. Luke uses the force to blow up the Death Star and star haven't a duel. The bad guys are laughably out matched in that movie despite the amount of times they hammer down that the good guys are outmatched. ESB is a lot more balanced. But that isn't necessarily true in ROTJ, what with Ewoks and all that other mess. The good guys in Star Wars - weak? Aside from ESB, since when?

TFA shows the good guys in a far more weak position. Contrast with Luke in ESB and they have absolutely no idea what they're doing and that was a half cocked, inexperienced Luke. Even Kylo Ren has no idea what he's doing. TFA shown Star Wars heroes at their most vulnerable besides ESB and I'm not exactly sure it's a bad thing.

Combined with the conflict that will emerge in Rey in future movies and things get even more interesting.

benjipwns

« Reply #667 on: December 19, 2015, 10:39:03 PM »
Cutting out the first part of that post has removed one half of the comparison.

In Star War, the rebellion is fighting a massive galactic empire with a superweapon that obliterates much of its leadership, and relies heavily on an orphaned kid from a desert planet and a hastily enlisted smuggler. In Empire, the rebellion is on the run from being defeated constantly. They aren't ever presented as an equal force to the Empire but you always know they will triumph. That's the same as in TFA and the status quo it leaves.

Thrawn and the dynamical, not mechanical Prequel Trilogy by comparison don't place the characters in a falsely weak position.

benjipwns

« Reply #668 on: December 19, 2015, 10:56:31 PM »
This is essentially somewhat the same argument I have had with people over J.J.'s Star Trek. He goes out of his way to wipe the slate clean, while maintaining it hasn't been.

He did it with Trek by involving all the time travel bullshit and bringing Old Spock into a separate timeline then fast-forwarding through the "new timeline" so he can get the TOS Enterprise crew to status quo. And he did it in TFA by fast-forwarding through anything referencing the prior three decades so he can eliminate the New Republic and we can get back to the plucky rebels resistance against the powerful Empire First Order.

I imagine this is why Luke isn't in the film. His importance prior to self-exile would have to be explained.
[close]

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #669 on: December 19, 2015, 11:01:42 PM »
Much better then I'd thought it would be, nice to be pleasantly surprised, despite some occasional touches of lameness (space Nazis, really?).

Favorite part? Well, I liked Ridley, Boyega, and Issac quite a bit in their roles (also, the pain meds for Ford musta been mixed with caffeine pills, nice to see him shivagit again). I also very much liked how the character development was really done in part with the action, that whole show don't tell thing that most films don't do enough of. But yeah, its pretty solid, if not quite spectacular.

Mods Help

« Reply #670 on: December 19, 2015, 11:11:17 PM »
That's the thing though. I'm not sure why you go into this expecting the table hasn't been reset given the prequels. I also don't get how you would expect a ROTJ sequel and it not take place a few decades after the original. Most people wanna get to where the meat of the action is. We already saw how building up a powerful force through politics works in Star Wars works with the prequels, and I don't think it's constructive towards the SW formula.

Do you have any other better ideas?

Like I said above, sounds like trying to find a fault with the movie.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:15:33 PM by Mods Help »

benjipwns

« Reply #671 on: December 19, 2015, 11:19:57 PM »
Just want to note I don't dislike the film as much as it may sound or as much as J.J.'s Treks. It didn't have any of the glaring plotholes of those, the new characters/actors are pretty much all great and there's a good distribution of their time. Outside of those types of things I generally prefer to critique franchise films on their continuity/universe/etc. And that's the problem I have here, it's J.J. being J.J. again. I forgive contrivances to put characters conveniently together if they're seemingly in-world unintentional. (Which is why TDK and TDKR don't escape me critiquing this.)

Rey is better than Finn. Don't listen to the lies.

Wait, I remember another flaw. Way too little Captain Phasma. It's like she had something else to do and disappeared for the most part.

That's the thing though. I'm not sure why you go into this expecting the table hasn't been reset given the prequels.
Because it's supposed to take place 30 years after Jedi AND establishes that certain events happened in between that it completely discards and/or eliminates so as to return the franchise to a pre-ESB galactic state?

I also don't get how you would expect a ROTJ sequel and it not take place a few decades after the original.
I expect things to have happened in those inbetween decades and the film to have explored them more than showing a bunch of recognizable props buried in the sand.

Like I said above, sounds like trying to find a fault with the movie.
Could be that I consider it a fault with the movie.

Do you have any other better ideas?
Of course I'm going to think I have better ideas than to rehash Star War and bring back the original arc.

The important thing is that Rian Johnson can figure out how to dig himself out of the galactic mess J.J. handed him for VIII and IX.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:25:00 PM by benjipwns »

Mods Help

« Reply #672 on: December 19, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »
despite some occasional touches of lameness (space Nazis, really?).

:wag

:bow

Was the closest thing to seeing live action Zeon.

Mods Help

« Reply #673 on: December 19, 2015, 11:24:58 PM »
Just want to note I don't dislike the film as much as it may sound or as much as J.J.'s Treks. It didn't have any of the glaring plotholes of those, the new characters/actors are pretty much all great and there's a good distribution of their time. Outside of those types of things I generally prefer to critique franchise films on their continuity/universe/etc. And that's the problem I have here, it's J.J. being J.J. again. I forgive contrivances to put characters conveniently together if they're seemingly in-world unintentional. (Which is why TDK and TDKR don't escape me critiquing this.)

Rey is better than Finn. Don't listen to the lies.

Wait, I remember another flaw. Way too little Captain Phasma. It's like she had something else to do and disappeared for the most part.

That's the thing though. I'm not sure why you go into this expecting the table hasn't been reset given the prequels.
Because it's supposed to take place 30 years after Jedi AND establishes that certain events happened in between that it completely discards and/or eliminates so as to return the franchise to a pre-ESB galactic state?

Is it really a galactic empire or are you assuming?

I'm expecting Phasma to join the Resistance. She betrayed the order way too fast. I think she may be like Finn or may take influence from him.

benjipwns

« Reply #674 on: December 19, 2015, 11:30:22 PM »
Building a weapon the level that it did, with the shown manpower and fleets, and being enough of a threat the now destroyed New Republic didn't want to go to war with them, I'm going to assume The First Order is fairly powerful on a galactic stage. It also seems to be headed by a type of large Emperor figure.

Of course, if J.J. had bothered to discuss anything that had happened in the 30 years prior we might know something about The First Order other than that they were ctrl+r'd over "New Empire" or something.

Wookiepedia's entire non-TFA-plot info:
In the years that followed, the First Order emerged, inspired by the principles of the fallen government and led by former officers of the Empire. The First Order was active approximately thirty years after the Battle of Endor, and fought against the Resistance.

benjipwns

« Reply #675 on: December 19, 2015, 11:37:48 PM »
I mean if a new Star War* movie opens with Luke and Han leading a force of Jedi and Stormtroopers into battle on a frozen desert Endor against the Ewoks who can fire laser beams out of their eyes and fly led by C3PO, you probably would want some explanation of how things got to this state.

Or not because it would be too fucking awesome.
[close]

*And only a Star War movie.

Beezy

« Reply #676 on: December 19, 2015, 11:53:30 PM »
Never been a huge Star Wars fan, but this was a really fun movie. Overhyped to shit by the innanets, but still a good movie.

Mad Max is easily the better reboot/sequel though. :P
[close]

Mods Help

« Reply #677 on: December 20, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »
Building a weapon the level that it did, with the shown manpower and fleets, and being enough of a threat the now destroyed New Republic didn't want to go to war with them, I'm going to assume The First Order is fairly powerful on a galactic stage. It also seems to be headed by a type of large Emperor figure.

Of course, if J.J. had bothered to discuss anything that had happened in the 30 years prior we might know something about The First Order other than that they were ctrl+r'd over "New Empire" or something.

Wookiepedia's entire non-TFA-plot info:
In the years that followed, the First Order emerged, inspired by the principles of the fallen government and led by former officers of the Empire. The First Order was active approximately thirty years after the Battle of Endor, and fought against the Resistance.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=189949088

Also remember there's 20 minutes of footage on the cutting floor. I'm expecting an extended blu Rey cut.

Mods Help

« Reply #678 on: December 20, 2015, 12:13:02 AM »
I liked The Force Awakens more than Mad Max Fury Road and I like Fury Road A LOT.

benjipwns

« Reply #679 on: December 20, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »
This kind of thing is why they said they wanted to wipe out the entire EU. (And also Trek's canon...)

:snoop

That information does help, but J.J. did still wipe out the New Republic before we ever got a chance to know about it...

All that said, VIII and IX still have a much better chance of universe/continuity saving/building than Beyond does.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:26:25 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #680 on: December 20, 2015, 12:22:40 AM »
Mad Max Fury Road is the best movie of the year for me.
But is it really a movie? It's kinda like saying Taco Bell is the best restaurant of the year. True, it's a restaurant, but it's also so much more.

Mods Help

« Reply #681 on: December 20, 2015, 12:43:13 AM »
This kind of thing is why they said they wanted to wipe out the entire EU. (And also Trek's canon...)

:snoop

That information does help, but J.J. did still wipe out the New Republic before we ever got a chance to know about it...

All that said, VIII and IX still have a much better chance of universe/continuity saving/building than Beyond does.

Also, consider that the movie lacks the exposition you crave...likely because of the prequels.

benjipwns

« Reply #682 on: December 20, 2015, 12:49:04 AM »
I'm going to just assume it has more to do with J.J. (And that things are going to improve leaps and bounds with Rian Johnson writing both VIII and IX.)

Especially considering that part about Han's never opened cargo container. :lol

Mods Help

« Reply #683 on: December 20, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »
For all of this talk of JJ, you should be more worried about IX's director the most.

Mods Help

« Reply #684 on: December 20, 2015, 12:58:40 AM »
Is it too late to replace him?

JJ did his job: get people excited about Star Wars again. It's up to Rian to make the trilogy into a classic. That other guy tho...I would have liked Duncan Jones instead.

benjipwns

« Reply #685 on: December 20, 2015, 01:15:48 AM »
My complaint about J.J. is his writing (and who he picks to partner with 90% of the time), not his directing. The Star Trek films showed he's a perfect Star Wars director.

The key for me with my Rian comments is that he's writing both, not just VIII. Even if they somehow convinced J.J. to write all three, it'd likely be better than three separate writers, for example.

The directing doesn't bother me as much because there's a formula that I imagine 500 suits at Disney will not allow you to touch.

I think when you're starting (or effectively so) a single universe it helps to minimize the number of replaced writers or directors. Even when the writers are bad, they keep a consistency that helps build the universe/characters better than if you ping around to five separate decent writers.

First two Iron Mans had Jon Favreau directing (and RDJ "writing" all his scenes), first two Avengers had Joss Whedon writing and directing, James Gunn writes and directs the Guardians films. Markus and McFeely have written/are writing Captain America 1, Thor The Dark World, The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War. Russo Bros will direct Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War.

Over in the DCFU Snyder, Goyer and Terrio are the ones who are doing/will have done Man of Steel, BvS, Justice League 1 and 2.

These will all connect thematically, even if like Ultron individual parts aren't as great it maintained the characters and everything "arc" wise from the first.

This was something that concerned me when they split the films up not just among directors but originally writers (IIRC, Rian was supposed to do a side-story not write both VIII and IX) especially letting J.J. go first and bail out completely. (I had always assumed he'd at least direct the trilogy to be honest.)

I'm pretty sure Colin Trevorrow got it because of Jurassic World's big dollahs, which he's writing the sequel (2018) of too which is why he won't write IX apparently. (Thankfully?)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:20:56 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #686 on: December 20, 2015, 01:21:54 AM »
That other guy tho...I would have liked Duncan Jones instead.
Duncan Jones is vastly overrated if we're being honest. He made one good movie(Moon) and it wasn't that good. He had potential but I feel like it was wasted somehow along the way.
He's doing WARCRAFT, he won't have time for a piddly little niche franchise like Star Wars.

Tasty

« Reply #687 on: December 20, 2015, 01:22:47 AM »
They should get Josh Trank back for IX  :heyman

benjipwns

« Reply #688 on: December 20, 2015, 01:25:24 AM »
I'd hand him the entire next trilogy. But we need a five year or more break to buy enough tents.

Mods Help

« Reply #689 on: December 20, 2015, 01:29:14 AM »
Is it too late to replace him?

JJ did his job: get people excited about Star Wars again. It's up to Rian to make the trilogy into a classic. That other guy tho...I would have liked Duncan Jones instead.

Duncan Jones is vastly overrated if we're being honest. He made one good movie(Moon) and it wasn't that good. He had potential but I feel like it was wasted somehow along the way.

Hmmm. :brazilcry

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #690 on: December 20, 2015, 01:42:25 AM »
A question because I can't pay attention properly

So ben changed his name to kylo ren after the ren knights, but who exactly are the knights? Just dark side baddies?
Those were them in the flashback when ben murked all the other jedi right

[close]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:46:35 AM by eleuin »

Tasty

« Reply #691 on: December 20, 2015, 01:42:58 AM »
I'd hand him the entire next trilogy. But we need a five year or more break to buy enough tents.

Disney can afford the destruction fees for a couple apartments I'm sure :heyman

benjipwns

« Reply #692 on: December 20, 2015, 01:49:52 AM »
Part of me wishes Fox would pay Trank $1 to make his "masterpiece" edit of FF and then they put it out on torrents.

A question because I can't pay attention properly

So ben changed his name to kylo ren after the ren knights, but who exactly are the knights? Just dark side baddies?
Those were them in the flashback when ben murked all the other jedi right

[close]
ya basically, he's their leader now I think, I imagine there'll be more about them when there's more about him, they had to keep a lot of his backstory out of this one for plot purposes obviously

Also, I imagine they'll tie much more into Luke's plot.
[close]

EDIT: I also don't think they're part of The First Order at all really but more allies of opportunity.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:54:39 AM by benjipwns »

Mods Help

« Reply #693 on: December 20, 2015, 02:09:55 AM »

apparently rey's theme is bastilla's theme?

Tasty

« Reply #694 on: December 20, 2015, 02:21:06 AM »
They should get Josh Trank back for IX  :heyman

He wasn't working on IX, he was doing some pin off. Either Rogue One or some other one.

I know, I meant "back in the Disney family." :heyman

I think Garreth Edwards (Godzilla dude) is doing the spinoff.

Tasty

« Reply #695 on: December 20, 2015, 03:56:10 AM »
You're gonna get Michael B Jordan as Young Lando in the Han Solo spinoff and like it, mister.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #696 on: December 20, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »
When can we discuss spoiler type stuff?

Not my nicca Han
[close]

:stahp
YMMV

Mods Help

« Reply #697 on: December 20, 2015, 09:21:36 AM »
We been discussing it the last page. Ain't no one got time for spoiler tags no more. If you are in this thread now and haven't seen the movie and care about spoilers you're a moron.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #698 on: December 20, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Okay than man the First Order is way to entrusting of their soldiers. These ain't clones bro.

Also Han and Leia's first meeting almost had me crying like a baby.
YMMV

Mods Help

« Reply #699 on: December 20, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
Apparently according to the art book First Order has an entirely different culture than the Empire and value their troops as people and not mere pawns?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #700 on: December 20, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »
Apparently according to the art book First Order has an entirely different culture than the Empire and value their troops as people and not mere pawns?

Fair enough but even the novelization states over and over again how their trust in their troops leaves them open to weakness. Even though they thought it was impossible...it happened.

How you gonna have a star weapon 50 times as large as the death star be so lightly guarded? I mean I get it super Han flew in at light speed but you'd have thought they learned a lesson from the past in terms of "one guy throwing switches defeats you" type shit.
YMMV

Mods Help

« Reply #701 on: December 20, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
I need to read the novel. How is it?

Jeez, look at me considering reading a Star Wars novel. Haven't done that since I was 11. I forgot I was a huge Star Wars geek. The Phantom Menace came out two years later ripping my love apart. :lol

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #702 on: December 20, 2015, 09:51:41 AM »
It's not terrible. Explains some stuff the movie glosses over in a bit more detail.
YMMV

Mods Help

« Reply #703 on: December 20, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #704 on: December 20, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »
Saw it. I'll be seeing it again in 3D IMAX hopefully. It was really enjoyable. One downside is that there's so much fan-service in it that I was frequently pulled out of the moment just by analyzing why I was enjoying it. "Oh, this is like that other thing in ANH! And that's from ESB!"

I enjoyed everything that was new more than things which were rehash, but I appreciated the call-backs.

Unlike most people who have commented, I enjoyed Kylo Ren /more/ than I expected.
He's young and unsure of himself, and convinced nothing he can do will ever be as good as his grandfather's accomplishments. They might as well have called him Darth JJ. I can't wait to see if these Disney movies manage to go ahead and make the same move: kill their predecessor to make themselves their own entity.
[close]

Someone earlier mentioned that the First Order was lame for being "Nazis in space." Dude. Seriously, if you didn't recognize the source material in the original trilogy, you were not paying enough attention.

Domnhall Gleason as a competing Tarkin-like foil to rein-in Ren was just great. The competitiveness, the glittering cruelty and madness which comes with an irresponsible pursuit of power... Lovely.

It partially had me wondering, as both Domnhall and Kylo Ren were so eagerly seeking Snokes' approval, would Ren have been able to stay the course with the Dark Side, had he not been basically goaded into pursuit?

As for the death of Han Solo, wow. Hard to believe they finally did it, but Harrison Ford was campaigning for this during RotJ, and it's no surprise that this would be a big stipulation in his contract. Dude never liked Solo, and was probably hard to convince to return. More importantly, I enjoyed the mythic resonance of Kylo killing his father, in an Arthur/Mordred manner; "Come, father. Let us embrace."   
[close]

Finding myself crushing pretty hard on Rey -- pretty sure with my history, this means she'll turn out to be lesbian.

We been discussing it the last page. Ain't no one got time for spoiler tags no more. If you are in this thread now and haven't seen the movie and care about spoilers you're a moron.

I don't think that's entirely fair, but if we are going to roll that way, can Wrath or a Moderator please change the thread title to include "SPOILERS"

Mods Help

« Reply #705 on: December 20, 2015, 10:34:58 AM »
That's fair, but if I hadn't seen the movie and I care about spoilers, I wouldn't be clicking anything Star Wars related. But I guess some people would still be interested in impressions.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #706 on: December 20, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
WTF moments:
  • Why have a desert planet with signature Moisture Farming Vaporators and that one standalone archway which looked straight out of Boonta Speedway -- but it's not Tatooine?
  • Who the hell was Max Von Sydow's nameless character?
  • What the hell did Solo and Fin do with Captain Phasma?
  • Was there some subtle CG used on Carrie Fisher's face during the shot showing her reaction to Han's death? Her nose suddenly became very tiny, and the lighting seemed off.
  • R2-D2 was in "low power mode" ever since Luke disappeared, and no-one thought to ask him about a map? A map which even C3PO speculated might be in R2's memory?
[close]

Mods Help

« Reply #707 on: December 20, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »
WTF moments:
  • Why have a desert planet with signature Moisture Farming Vaporators and that one standalone archway which looked straight out of Boonta Speedway -- but it's not Tatooine?
  • Was there some subtle CG used on Carrie Fisher's face during the shot showing her reaction to Han's death? Her nose suddenly became very tiny, and the lighting seemed off.
  • R2-D2 was in "low power mode" ever since Luke disappeared, and no-one thought to ask him about a map? A map which even C3PO speculated might be in R2's memory?
[close]

Phasma went into the garbage chute ANH style
[close]

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #708 on: December 20, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
WTF moments:
[close]

Phasma went into the garbage chute ANH style
[close]

Can confirm. In the Book it's solo's idea and when they all look at him he says something along the lines of "What! I have experience in these things"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:36:22 AM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Beezy

« Reply #709 on: December 20, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »
After finding out that Oscar Isaac is short for Oscar Isaac Hernández Estrada and realizing that SW:TFA stars a woman, a black dude, and a hispanic dude going up against an unstable white man, my group of friends have decided that the movie was pretty amazing. Have any butthurt think pieces shown up yet?

Mods Help

« Reply #710 on: December 20, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
Can't wait for the butthurt Mra's and racists to come out of the wood work. This films greatest blessing :rejoice

:rejoice

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #711 on: December 20, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
the opening text crawl incase anyone wants to see it

http://i.imgur.com/Yk81R4V.gifv
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:11:06 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #712 on: December 20, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
Best Star Wars movie since Guardians of the Galaxy.
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #713 on: December 20, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »
Watched it again. Yup, it annihilates A New Hope.

Mods Help

« Reply #714 on: December 20, 2015, 04:20:35 PM »
Poe is a fighter pilot. I'm not sure how his acting in the film deserves any accolades? Adam Driver did a much better job in this and had much more material.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #715 on: December 20, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »
Saw it today. I'm not really a star wars fan and with that I have to say its the best star wars movie to me. It's just mostly action and fun. My wife borderline hated the OT and PT but really liked this movie. She came out making light saber sounds and shit.

I didn't read anything about the plot so everything was a nice surprise. Can't wait for the next one.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #716 on: December 20, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
rian johnson is awful

brick is awful wank
brothers bloom is awful wank
looper is awful wank

i don't even go to the cinema that much and i keep getting burned by this dickhead.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #717 on: December 20, 2015, 11:38:57 PM »
Is this worth watching in imax/3d?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #718 on: December 20, 2015, 11:59:01 PM »
imax yeah.

3d nah
püp