Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557127 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #1500 on: December 22, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
Yeah, people act like RotS is a lot better than the first two, but it's honestly not. The action scenes are all pretty good, though. I think at the time people were just so happy it was going to be over they overrated it.
yar

Himu

« Reply #1501 on: December 22, 2016, 09:47:53 PM »
AOTC is my least favorite. Seeing Yoda doing ninja flips just felt wrong.

I didn't like a single trilogy film and have only seen them once and only once.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1502 on: December 22, 2016, 09:50:50 PM »
Remember in AotC where Obi-wan spent nearly the entire movie trying to figure out what was going on with the clones and then Yoda just shows up and is like "Well, we got a clone army now, I guess"? :neogaf
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1503 on: December 22, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »
The Jedi order kinda deserved to get wiped out, real talk
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1504 on: December 22, 2016, 11:15:17 PM »
Remember in AotC where Obi-wan spent nearly the entire movie trying to figure out what was going on with the clones and then Yoda just shows up and is like "Well, we got a clone army now, I guess"? :neogaf

THIS. ONE HUNDRED TIMES, THIS.

The movie kicks its own legs out from under it. The interesting part, Obi-Wan's investigation, turns out to expose all this fuckery FOR NOTHING. No-one blinks. The uninteresting part, stalker/bodyguard Anakin can slurp my tumescent chub. Hayden Christiansen is not a bad actor, but that movie buried him.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #1505 on: December 23, 2016, 07:38:17 AM »
TPM is the best prequel, despite being shit. AOTC is completely boring and ROTS fails on basic movie making requirements like characterization. At least TPM seems like it has a bit of spark to it here and there.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1506 on: December 23, 2016, 07:54:26 AM »
I havent really thought about this since a year ago, but there is no way to redeem Kylo Ren post TFA

Oblivion

« Reply #1507 on: December 23, 2016, 08:44:40 AM »
Not a popular opinion, I'm sure, but it's hard to decide if I enjoyed the prequels or TFA more.

I'm not trying to defend the prequels, as they're terribly written and terribly directed, but they actually kept my attention all the way through.

With TFA, yes there's nothing particularly offensive like Jar Jar, and there's no laughable lines like Anakin talking about sand, and it's a solid, competently made film. But overall, it was just incredibly boring. The most common complaint that people attribute to it is that it's too similar in plot to ANH. That didn't bother me, though. I cared way more about the execution, and felt it was sorely lacking. It felt rushed, lacked tension, had a shitty lead villain, and seemed to lack the same kind of tension and dread that was apparent in all the other movies.

And I'm not too fond of Rey either.

Freyj

« Reply #1508 on: December 23, 2016, 11:41:16 AM »
I havent really thought about this since a year ago, but there is no way to redeem Kylo Ren post TFA

If they try I'm going to be disappointed. That's Blizzard levels of retreading old ground.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1509 on: December 23, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »

If they try I'm going to be disappointed. That's Blizzard levels of retreading old ground.
I dont mean in the context of the story and making him turn back to the light side of the force, i mean as in save the character on a film level, what can they even do with this char now? he's effectively garbage 

Himu

« Reply #1510 on: December 23, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
Return of the Jedi fucking sucks, brehs. It's prequel tier outside of the Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes. And not just the ewoks shit. The rest of the movie is dogshit, too. Everything people hate about the prequels is staring you right in the face in that movie, yet everyone was still shocked when those movies were the same dogshit he served you up 15 years earlier.

bullshit. jedi has flaws but its positives make it on par with empire for me.

it has the best and most iconic scenes in the series.

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1511 on: December 23, 2016, 12:00:49 PM »
There isn't anything in the entire PT as good as this:

Except maybe Duel of Fates.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1512 on: December 23, 2016, 12:01:48 PM »
whoever says jedi sucks can eat shit personally. luke vs vader is THE star wars scene.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1513 on: December 23, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
He's already cemented himself as firmly on the dark side, there's little room for a revert and it would be foolish for him to. He's pretty weak (couldn't beat Fin or Rey) although he was trained by Luke and I suppose a bit by Snoke, very little menace coming from him.  I think they could make a thing out of a self loathing, desperate villain like Maria Winters from the recent Exorcist show
spoiler (click to show/hide)
who eventually gets the power she desires through scummery and boot licking
[close]
but I doubt they try this.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1514 on: December 23, 2016, 12:14:25 PM »
Let's be fair, Star Wars is a wee bit trash as a whole.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1515 on: December 23, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »

no u
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1516 on: December 23, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
ROTJ was like a Zelda game. Equal parts amazing mixed with shit.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1517 on: December 23, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »

Europeans

:confused
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1518 on: December 23, 2016, 03:19:25 PM »
Eeeeehhhhhh. Gotta disagree with you, man. The stuff at Jabba's palace is mostly fun to watch, and the space battle at the end was, up until Rogue One, the best space battle in the franchise.

Pretty much everything that happens on Endor is garbage, and the end is kinda blah.

Compare that to RotS, which is pretty much just endless cringeworthy bullshit with a few nice action segments. Not feeling the comparison.

I do agree that there's a massive drop off between Empire and RotJ, but come on... nothing else in the series is even close to Empire. RotJ is fun but flawed. RotS is a piece of shit.
yar

Himu

« Reply #1519 on: December 23, 2016, 04:51:51 PM »

My "Star Wars sux" phase was during my early 20's even though I actually liked Star Wars. Embrace the dark side, Vom. Embrace the fact that you like Star Wars. It's okay, we understand and we're here! :brazilcry You need to do this for yourself!
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1520 on: December 23, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #1521 on: December 23, 2016, 05:00:52 PM »
I can't hate Jedi. It was my fave growing up. I can't hate Ewoks. They're so cute! Luke turning himself in, Luke's fight with Vader and with himself as he grows closer to joining the dark side. The will he? Will he not of Jedi is GOAT on first watch and you're a naive 11 year old kid who actually bought into Hammil's performance that he was joining the dark side. I don't care what anyone says the choreography, the lighting, the direction. Vader's redemption! It is the best Star Wars has ever been and makes me hard to take people who hate Jedi seriously.

LOOK AT IT!!!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:14:28 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #1522 on: December 23, 2016, 07:30:23 PM »
What's supposed to be the good scenes in ROTS?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1523 on: December 23, 2016, 09:11:39 PM »

Probably guest directed by Spielberg or something.
dog

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #1524 on: December 23, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »
I guess that would be okay if their relationship was remotely believable

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1525 on: December 23, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »

I enjoyed the spectacle of Palpatine going full evil mode on Yoda and chucking Senate podiums at him
WDW

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #1526 on: December 23, 2016, 11:07:34 PM »
Ian McDiarmid was maybe the only actor of the prequel trilogy to come out the whole thing relatively unscathed. Yeah, he's hammier than a luau, but he's also seemingly possessing of magic powers that make the Lucas-penned dialog he has to perform sound somewhat natural (within the context of the thing he's in). Maybe its only the very low bar set by the previous two films, or the fact that I haven't seen it in a decade, but I look upon Revenge of the Sith as being sporadically entertaining, perhaps even bordering on okay, maybe even good if I'm feeling charitable and can trust my hazy recollection of it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1527 on: December 23, 2016, 11:11:51 PM »
Revenge of the Sith is easily the worst one. It was really a growing up experince as teenager realizing something you loved as a kid could be so terrible. It's kind of the first big movie I could look at and realize how bad it was.

The terrible droid comedy that was so cringe worthy in the beginning. Which is then mixed with awful tone bending dark stuff with Anakin and Count D. Watching how dumb Anakin was and  how easily he was manipulated due to shitty writing. How dumb Yodda looked and acted in that movie. Just how sterile and boring the movie looked. That overly long fight that I couldn't bare to even find excitement.

I don't know, I just think it's an awful movie.

Oblivion

« Reply #1528 on: December 25, 2016, 06:49:32 PM »
As far as Rogue One goes, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Way moreso than TFA. It helped that I went in with zero expectations, but the movie was pretty damn fun. The main factor was due to the fact that there was a sense of tension and grand adventure and spectacle. TFA always felt minor league, and the world felt so cramped and compact and its action scenes were all (or nearly all) small scale. R1 is the movie I was hoping TFA would be.

I have to say though, with both movies, I really didn't care for the lead girls.  :yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #1529 on: December 27, 2016, 02:55:11 AM »

I'm not the only one who finds R1 prequel tier :rejoice
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:01:39 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1530 on: December 27, 2016, 04:00:45 AM »
Saw it.

Umm... I don't like it as much as the reviews. I don't like it as much as the force awakens. It's certainly no prequel level disaster but I found myself often frustrated with it. The first half I liked a lot more. It was slower paced. It felt unique and different. The second half feels like a trademark Star Wars movie and that was the wrong call for my tastes. I didn't need all that. The whole point of these off shoot movies for me is that they should feel really different than the main numbered movies. It's like this movie wanted to do that but then they didn't have the balls to go full on with it. Everytime they could have went in a really really interesting fresh direction, they kept playing it safe and doing what you would expect from a Star Wars movie. I'm kinda okay with the numbered sequels doing that. But less so in these kind of movies. And more importantly I just think the force awakens does it better. That movie was generally just more fun and exciting. This movie wants to be dark and different but tonally it misses the mark a lot and often tries to be too fun and exciting for its own good when it doesn't really have the material for it. I also didn't need the handholding tie ins to the original movie. I know complaints like this sound really nitpicky but it did start to grate on me. I understand why they think they need to do that kind of stuff. But they really don't. It's not fresh and it felt kind of insulting like they are treating us like idiots.

This all sounds slightly more negative than I am about the movie. Like I said I enjoyed the first half alot. And I don't dislike this movie. I just think its kind of average for a piece of Star Wars material.

I think it looks very good. The aesthetics are great. We'll see how I feel about it over time and years down the road.

helios

« Reply #1531 on: December 27, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »

I'm not the only one who finds R1 prequel tier :rejoice

That ANH edit was great and captures why R1 falters

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1532 on: December 27, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
My wife had never seen the original Star Wars movies before, so I tried showing her A New Hope yesterday.  She got about halfway through and couldn't take it anymore.  Said it was too boring.

:stahp

What I was noticing was how...low budget it all seemed.  I've never seen Star Wars in HD before (was watching some fan-created HD version of the original, unaltered movie) and little things about the costumes and sets really stood out.
ど助平

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1533 on: December 27, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
A few extra spoiler thoughts from last night.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I didn't care for the lead actress. They simply didn't characterize her enough. I don't know this character. They didn't show any background from this character other than she loves her parents and her motivations are basically all plot derived. She seems uninterested at first. And then a crusader later in the movie and this all turns on the drop of a hat because she sees her dad in a hologram. It feels unearned.

You can compare her to Luke Skywalker in that both are kind of bland but Luke's bland was earned. You spend a ton of time with him in the first movie before any shit goes down. You know him. You see his gradual evolving. This character in rogue one didn't have that. One moment she is there and the next moment she is lecturing everybody in the rebellion about what they should be doing. I didn't love rey from Force Awakens as much as everybody else did, but the setup and her increasing involvement was still better. It's like a slightly sped up version of the original Luke Skywalker story and it still works. This all could have worked in this movie but it feels like there are missing scenes or missing better connected pieces of story. 

As far as the structure of the movie for some reason through cultural osmosis, I though the plot was going to take a James Bond approach or a Dirty Dozen approach to the structure. It doesn't. I thought both of those approaches would have been really cool but I also would have been fine with a really compelling approach whatever they did. Instead like I said in my other post, it fell into making a traditional Star Wars movie thing where we need space battles and ground battles and doing some kind of attack to open up a shield. Why? I felt like that was the laziest approach you could take. I don't need space battles in every Star Wars thing to know its a Star Wars movie. I feel like the infiltration part of the movie should have been the really clever interesting part of the movie but for me it was the worst part. It should have felt like when everybody is on the ship with Darth Vader in New Hope and they rescue Princess Leia. Sneaking around. Having interesting clever bits with them like a spy movie. It doesn't .

As we approached the ending there was a thing that was slightly pissing me off where I started to get nervous that all the side characters were going to die and the two leads would escape. I was really fearing that was going to happen so its a weird thing to say but I was very happy when everybody died including the leads. That being said, I didn't feel like much of anything at the ending unfortunately. I either didn't know these characters well enough to feel sad, or I didn't like them enough to be sad, or the journey hadn't been thrilling or suspenseful enough to be sad or wistful at the ending. It just felt like yep that happened. It was like filling in a jig saw puzzle where I always knew what was going to happen.

Stars Wars movies are very predictable. You know what's going to generally happen much like a comic book movie. But in the best Star Wars movies and comic book movies, you set aside that part of your brain and get caught up in the ride. You grew attached and your emotions take over. The original three movies do that for me. The force Awakens does that for me. This movie doesn't. Once we hit the middle part of the movie, I was always aware of where we were going and it was front and center in my brain. Maybe its because this is rehashed material. But I mostly think it's because of execution. I feel like you take the idea of this movie and make a really cool thing from it. But you have to be bold. You have to say we aren't making A Star Wars Movie. You are making a cool, fun, dark, movie that happens to be set in the Star Wars universe. I feel like they wanted to do that at certain times but they just couldn't fully embrace it for fear of alienating their core audience. 
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1534 on: December 31, 2016, 06:15:19 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:24:49 PM by Stoney Mason »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1536 on: January 01, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »
Do not waaaaaaant
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1537 on: January 02, 2017, 12:18:19 AM »

:dead

etiolate

« Reply #1538 on: January 02, 2017, 03:26:42 AM »
Saw Rogue 1

Did not enjoy it as much as TFA, even if TFA is a routine exercise of doing ANH. One thing about R1 that I kept feeling while watching the movie was that it felt heavily influenced by recent blockbusters moreso than the influences that went into the original trilogy. A different take was expected, but I felt the influence in R1 felt all too closely familiar to other recent films rather than staking out a vibe of its own. One example would be that Eastern mysticism and film influenced the original films, but that element in R1 feels like a gag done with Asian actors rather than a part of the world itself, which felt like recent self-referential blockbusters rather than Star Wars.

So Rogue one managed to be different at times from the main films without feeling really different in a way that sticks out. I kept thinking of Katniss Everdeen does Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's still a pretty good film. It just feels off in some way. Pacing uneven, first half much better than the rest of the film, a lot of lines out of place or needlessly put in.

helios

« Reply #1539 on: January 02, 2017, 07:56:38 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:dead

This is your own masterpiece would be awesome to say to someone who supremely fucked up, though.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1540 on: January 03, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »
I'm really surprised by how well Rogue One has done over the Christmas and New Years weekends. Seems like word-of-mouth has been really strong after the first week or so.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1541 on: January 05, 2017, 01:23:01 AM »
It's a good movie. It's uneven, but it's better than a lot of what's out there. I may end up liking it more than Ep. VII on a second viewing.

etiolate

« Reply #1542 on: January 05, 2017, 02:46:37 AM »
Being better than what's out there isn't hard. All the previews I saw were god awful looking remakes.

Hollywood is straight up trash right now. This is competing against Assassin's Creed and the Trolls movie.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1543 on: January 05, 2017, 05:37:31 PM »

:o

Rebels looks like it's moving up to peak Clone Wars-tier
___

Himu

« Reply #1544 on: January 05, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
Being better than what's out there isn't hard. All the previews I saw were god awful looking remakes.

Hollywood is straight up trash right now. This is competing against Assassin's Creed and the Trolls movie.

Currently Fences, Moonlight, and Hidden Figures are in theaters. So I disagree.
IYKYK

helios

« Reply #1545 on: January 05, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

Too much negativity in here.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1546 on: January 05, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »
They are very triggered by the reception of this movie based on the number of videos they've cranked out on it. But that is a funny ass video.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1547 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »
People like Star Wars movies? No way!
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1548 on: January 06, 2017, 12:32:50 AM »
life has too many villains  :ohhh

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1549 on: January 06, 2017, 03:00:58 AM »
The part about the sponsor at the end is ruthless. The depiction of geek sycophants is pretty on point.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #1550 on: January 06, 2017, 03:54:01 AM »
I can't believe that after that whole bit suddenly adding in another sponsor "Nerd Box" is what got Rich to finally crack. (I'm working from the assumption they just filmed this until he did.) He's struggling earlier I think when Mike says the thing about the whole respect the troops horseshit.

benjipwns

« Reply #1551 on: January 06, 2017, 03:58:23 AM »
some guy in the GAF thread bu made posted a link to this:

the part that killed me was the titles/font discussion

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1552 on: January 06, 2017, 04:16:50 AM »

How is this controversial? It's a poorly acted, generic heroes journey, and half of the movies are unwatchable.

Currently Fences, Moonlight, and Hidden Figures are in theaters. So I disagree.

2/3rds of those were produced outside of Hollywood lol

benjipwns

« Reply #1553 on: January 06, 2017, 05:03:57 AM »
Other than the first one it's kinda amusing to note the now four best well received Star Wars films were not directed by, nor screen written by, George Lucas. (He only has story credit on Empire and Jedi IIRC.) And Lawrence Kasdan was the writer on three of them. (Empire, Jedi and Force Awakens)

And really when you go back and compare some of that dialogue in the first one (ask bork's wife) to the next two when Ford and Fisher and Hamill pushed back and played a role in doing their own dialogue/characterization...you can kinda see the Prequels amazing work coming. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1554 on: January 06, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »

Too much negativity in here.

They've aped the YouTuber bullshit so well, I can't even watch it as parody.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1555 on: January 07, 2017, 05:18:25 AM »

:neogaf :expert
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1556 on: January 07, 2017, 08:24:33 PM »
How much is that in real money?

freal though, why?

helios

« Reply #1557 on: January 07, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »
Because nerds

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1558 on: January 07, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »
How much is that in real money?

freal though, why?

14 228,13 US$ at current rate.
I read, where I got the link to the page, that it also happens to be the second biggest LEGO set (over 5000 pieces, it's big). It sold at over 500$ back when it was released. The ridiculous price is probably the seller getting crazy ideas on how much he can scalp needy geeks but the price for used ones (Almost 4000$) seems in line with the most repeated estimates...
Apparently, because of the scarcity, some fans decided it was easier to just buy several thousands individual pieces to do the model. There's guides :
https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/2wksds/the_cheapskates_guide_to_bricklinking_a_10179_ucs/

It's my understanding that LEGO really went down hard on the niche of adults with disposable income when they realized a decade ago there was a ton of money to milk there. Those elaborate sets (Star Wars, famous monuments) are not kid's toys by any means.

And yeah. Geeks. :kobeyuck

EDIT :
Some dude added 100$ of LED lights into his, because why not ?
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/57894-10179-ucs-falcon-pricing/&do=findComment&comment=1256070
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:08:46 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1559 on: January 07, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
Makes sense. Funny how this stuff probably sells a shitload more to than the obviously adult-targeted stuff like the Fallingwater model and shit