Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557657 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #2940 on: January 19, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »
Death Star engineers: smart enough to design the ultimate space weapon, but not smart enough to correct design flaws/security measures once they knew the plans were stolen.

Maybe the problem was still in committee.

The time frame from the theft of the plans to the assault on Yavin IV was only a few days, and I think everyone on the Imperial side who knew there was a fatal flaw ended up getting killed.

It's like two days or something, from A New Hope's start to its finish. Unless the Sandcrawler takes a heap of time from picking up the droids to arriving at Owen's place. Anywho, it's brisk.

In ROGUE ONE, it's eventually clear that Scarif has a security problem, and once Krennic arrives it's known that data has been sent from the Imperial base, but it's not inherently clear if the Imperials know what data was stolen.

Even if they /do/ find that it's the Death Star's plans, it's possible that the Imperials want to show it to any planets that are wavering on aligning with the Rebels, pushing them to join.

Imperials are so overconfident with their new toy, it's likely they don't suspect that there is a flaw. I mean, Krennic does, but Erso was "his hire," so he's not going to advertise that with Tarkin trying to push his shit in all the time.

« Reply #2941 on: January 19, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »
The hardcore fanbase that seems to comprise fandom nowadays is the worse I've ever seen it. They've gone from I like this thing and hope it turns out well to, I have one very specific vision of this thing and if its not exactly like how I want it, then its complete shit and I'm never going to shut up about it.

It's not just Star Wars. It's just about everything.

There was always this side to fandom. But it feels increasingly tiresome nowadays. Or maybe I just increasingly find it tiresome to engage.

I was a pretty hardcore Star Wars fan in the 90s, but I don't remember it being like this.

I've got lots of stuff that I really like, but I stay away from fandom. It's just too much.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2942 on: January 19, 2018, 06:20:37 PM »
The hardcore fanbase that seems to comprise fandom nowadays is the worse I've ever seen it. They've gone from I like this thing and hope it turns out well to, I have one very specific vision of this thing and if its not exactly like how I want it, then its complete shit and I'm never going to shut up about it.

There was always this side to fandom. But it feels increasingly tiresome nowadays. Or maybe I just increasingly find it tiresome to engage.

I was a pretty hardcore Star Wars fan in the 90s, but I don't remember it being like this.

I've got lots of stuff that I really like, but I stay away from fandom. It's just too much.

It's obsessive behavior.

I remember being so excited as a young nerd whenever I found people who liked the same stuff I did. Now it's so easy to connect with people on the internet, find people with those same interests… 

…actually, let's change that to "opinions." We can find people who share the same opinions, so it is a short step from THAT to thinking, "We are all CORRECT" instead of "We all share the same OPINION."

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #2943 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:50 PM »
You can call it whatever you want but i will always curse bungie and microsoft to damnation for murdering the fuck out of Halo.

etiolate

« Reply #2944 on: January 19, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »
Nerds always had opinions and ideas. You can just read all of them now thanks to social media.

Also, as I stated earlier in here (I think), the longer a fictional world exists, the more information flows into it and the closer it gets to having rules.

On the flip side, if you create a brand new fictional world then you can set up nearly every idea you have into it because it's a blank state with less rules established. The problem is that we have too many people trying to crawl into established works created by others to put in their own ideas that care less/don't understand the rules and connection of that fictional world.

Stop jumping on old works and create your own thing. I do not appreciate all this hijacked fiction that tends to bubble out of the fanfic world.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2945 on: January 19, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »

It's obsessive behavior.

I remember being so excited as a young nerd whenever I found people who liked the same stuff I did. Now it's so easy to connect with people on the internet, find people with those same interests…

…actually, let's change that to "opinions." We can find people who share the same opinions, so it is a short step from THAT to thinking, "We are all CORRECT" instead of "We all share the same OPINION."

Pre-internet world it was slightly harder for fandoms to groupthink around things and sort of codify a solid wall of opinion. I remember when you use to meet nerds in the past and share opinions on things, it was a surprise and interesting experience to get their take. They liked some things I hated and hated some things I really liked.

Post internet and especially in our modern social medium age fandom groupthink is established almost immediately. Within a week of something happening there is a default opinion fandom has settled on. This will occasionally change if some important nerd or media figure weighs in and is able to form a strong argument to shift opinion down the road but generally speaking opinions feel much more monolithic in a much shorter amount of time than they ever have in the past.

This isn't just contained to nerdom circles.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2946 on: January 20, 2018, 04:57:17 AM »
Yeah though the pretense of being "underground" always sounded overblown, it used to be that the social spots were much more local and you didn't exactly had the choice of what crowd you mingled with. "Nerd" or "Geek" forums tend to fall under the banner of the lowest common denominator, and whoever appointed himself the savvy [insert your most hated billion dollar franchise] academic  may seem to tower discussion when really quite a few of the people are only there for animu loli games / nunsploitation / nigerian films / straight edge nu doom / crime novels.

Turns out that in internet discussion market of ideas it goes as with all other markets : monopolies are bad.
ὕβρις

« Reply #2947 on: January 20, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »

It's obsessive behavior.

I was all over Usenet in the early 90s (and not just Star Wars, I was on alt.music.smash-pumpkins and a bunch of video game related groups as well) and then moved on to TheForce.net around the time the Special Editions came out. I'm sure it was there but I still don't remember things being like they are now. Guess I'm just getting old.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2948 on: January 20, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »

:o

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2949 on: January 21, 2018, 07:12:24 AM »
Alternatively, make more of it.

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #2952 on: January 28, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2953 on: January 29, 2018, 04:44:14 AM »
Reading Chuck Wendig's "AFTERMATH" book 1 — I can see why it's divisive. I have trouble understanding who's saying what, and where they are, and when it is in the timeline. I've also got a 38ºc fever, but a fucking Star Wars book should not be hard to understand.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2954 on: January 29, 2018, 08:48:44 AM »

It's obsessive behavior.

Very good point, also why social media and the internet are polarizing our world.

Take away easy access to people with similar opinions and you will try to find common ground with people around you.

Think back to high school, your best friends were like minded, but not carbon copies of your exact opinions.

Himu

« Reply #2955 on: January 29, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2956 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:35 AM »
Wow he is more then a body you know

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2957 on: January 29, 2018, 09:11:20 AM »
let the past die.
Kinda the opposite for me, only time I'll get interested in Star Wars again is deep in the past like Old Republic times and the birth of the Sith kinda stuff.

Dennis

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2960 on: January 29, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2962 on: February 04, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #2963 on: February 04, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »

I thought this was like, a licensed car or Doritos ad or something (like the Goldblum JW/Jeep ad.)

Looks absolutely terrible. Probably the first SW movie I miss in theaters since Attack of the Clones.

Tasty

« Reply #2964 on: February 04, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:19:21 PM by Tasty Meat »

Himu

« Reply #2965 on: February 04, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »
Hahahaha Star Wars’ shitty spiral continues.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2966 on: February 05, 2018, 12:41:10 AM »
Shitty spiral?

Last two mainline movies were great

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2967 on: February 05, 2018, 12:47:26 AM »
Shitty spiral?

And the most recent three were better than the previous three.

But Solo will probably still end up being garbage, though, given all the behind-the-scenes nonsense.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2968 on: February 05, 2018, 12:49:59 AM »
Shitty spiral?

Rogue one sucked, last Jedi was bad, and Solo looks awful. :lol
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2969 on: February 05, 2018, 12:52:59 AM »
Rogue One was fine, Last Jedi was really good, Solo will probably be bad but whatever. :yeshrug
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2970 on: February 05, 2018, 12:57:41 AM »
Your view is too nuanced for 2010-2018, things are either SHIT and getting worse, or THE BEST and getting better.

None of this fine, great, probably

Also as we have the prequel trilogy as a benchmark one would really have to twist their minds to claim SW was not on a upwards trajectory from that

Himu

« Reply #2971 on: February 05, 2018, 01:06:13 AM »
Your view is too nuanced for 2010-2018, things are either SHIT and getting worse, or THE BEST and getting better.

:lol

Overly defensive, huh?

I think TFA is a pretty good movie. Not great, and nothing special. But it’s pretty good and enjoyable. Using “there are only extreme opinions in our society now!” is a horrific defense. People have their own opinions and I think the last two Star Wars movies released are bad.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2972 on: February 05, 2018, 01:11:57 AM »
Its ok friend we can agree to disagree and laugh at the Solo movie together soon, lets build bridges not burn them  :-*

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2973 on: February 05, 2018, 01:16:26 AM »
Rogue One was garbage apart from 5 minutes of fan service at the end.

Himu

« Reply #2974 on: February 05, 2018, 01:20:33 AM »
The fan service was garbage to me actually.

“Don’t you guys want to see badass Darth Vader?!” :lol

And the ending shot of CG Leia...You can practically hear a narrator go,”next time on Star Wars!” as it transitions to the credits. :lol So bad.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2975 on: February 05, 2018, 01:24:57 AM »

I was watching a shitty movie and an unexpected moment of seeing Vader as the in-world badass he is came up, i was like 'neat'. We never really get to see Vader as a badass savage through-out the originals, mostly just him toying with Luke and standing around looking constipated  :idont

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2976 on: February 05, 2018, 01:29:03 AM »
I'm looking forward to it. It's more Star Wars to continue washing the Prequel movie aftertaste away.

Danny Glover is going to be Mr. Steal Your Girlrissian. F

inally doing something fun with the "12 parsec" Kessel Run will be charming.

Hell, just making up for the lame-ass Solo parts in RotJ, after he'd been turned into a big dumb joke, will be great to see him charm, cheat, and shoot his way out of problems.

Himu

« Reply #2977 on: February 05, 2018, 01:36:48 AM »

I was watching a shitty movie and an unexpected moment of seeing Vader as the in-world badass he is came up, i was like 'neat'. We never really get to see Vader as a badass savage through-out the originals, mostly just him toying with Luke and standing around looking constipated  :idont

True. I don’t blame anyone for liking the scene, I just thought the hot potato element where they pass the info to the next person before being horrifically murdered was too cheesy. I was actually chuckling at how bad it was watching a bunch of rebels play catch with the data. :lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2978 on: February 05, 2018, 01:42:15 AM »

“Hope.”

Do you get the reference? The next movie in the timeline is called A New HOPE. Did you see how they artistically and  SUBTLY (:lol) gave the nod to ANH? So creative. It’s poetry, it rhymes.

:rofl
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2979 on: February 05, 2018, 02:05:00 AM »
Well you know Rembrandt was just a commission painter too

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2980 on: February 05, 2018, 02:45:35 AM »
I should take a break from this thread. So much fucking negativity.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2981 on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:45 AM »
Naaah man I will totally go to the cinema to see Solo  8)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2982 on: February 05, 2018, 02:54:02 AM »
chewbacca groan at the end sold me

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2983 on: February 05, 2018, 02:55:31 AM »
spin off a rebels thread and i'll be positive 99% of the time

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2984 on: February 05, 2018, 03:21:50 AM »

Personally I have no preconceived notions about the movie (outside of the fact that I'm tired of them re-treading pieces of the universe that don't especially need a backstory)

I know the movie has been a bit of a disaster via directors and reshoots and such but coming into it I don't have any particular hate for the movie. My bar is it couldn't be any worse than Rogue One which would honestly surprise me.

I just think you are starting to see hardcore types burning out on Star Wars with this yearly cycle. Even though many hardcore people don't seem to mind this pace of churn from those marvel movies.

I'd still rather watch Han Solo movie more than Age of Ultron Infinity War Civil War Apocolpyse 27.

This one better be at least fun rather than whatever Rogue One was going for.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:26:11 AM by Stoney Mason »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️

agrajag

« Reply #2986 on: February 05, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »
I thought the trailer looked cool

Tasty

« Reply #2987 on: February 05, 2018, 08:48:38 AM »

Sorry we're not sucking corporate cock as much as you want. Will reprogram to better lick Kathleen Kennedy's taint in the future. I forgot that we owe international conglomerate Disney our undying love and affection and that we shouldn't have our own opinions.

I FUCKING LOVE STAR WARS

Tasty

« Reply #2988 on: February 05, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
Also if this is some rollicking space romp, why is it using Rogue One's ultra desaturated color pallet? Is that just what SW looks like now? Though even RO had color in the tropical planet.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2989 on: February 05, 2018, 08:53:13 AM »
Space operas are my opium and Didney is the only drug dealer in town. :noah

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2990 on: February 05, 2018, 09:04:37 AM »
I'm going to watch the movie without prejudging it, because I can see how you can make it good (using Solo as a portal into the seedy underbelly of that world and introducing new characters).

But if it's just going to be a bunch of fan-service ("Remember!?!") scenes, I will hate it even more.

Also, I feel like Chris Pratt in Guardians is the modern Han Solo and it will be hard to watch this and not wish I was watching him instead.

« Reply #2991 on: February 05, 2018, 11:31:38 AM »
The trailer was better than I was expecting it to be. [shrug]
野球

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2992 on: February 05, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
In an ideal world this movie wouldn't have all this over the top action. Like watch as we FIGHT ON TOP OF A ROTATING TRAIN! Or FLYING THE FALCON THROUGH A NEBULA WITH A WEIRD CTHULU MONSTER. i dunno, it's not what i think of when I think of a Han Solo story.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:07:23 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

paprikastaude

« Reply #2993 on: February 05, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
Han Solo = Harrison Ford being Harrison Ford
Anything else =/= Han Solo

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2994 on: February 05, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
I like what I’m seeing so far.  :idont

kingv

« Reply #2995 on: February 05, 2018, 12:35:53 PM »
I liked the trailer ok, but from what I can see, neither Donald Glover or the peckerwood playing Han Solo really nailed their parts.

Han Solo just seems like a different dude, and Lando doesn’t seem to be acting like a smooth colt 45 drinking motherfucker.

Donald Glover basically has the look down, but maybe he couldn’t afford a perm in his 20s

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2996 on: February 05, 2018, 12:37:40 PM »

Sorry we're not sucking corporate cock as much as you want. Will reprogram to better lick Kathleen Kennedy's taint in the future. I forgot that we owe international conglomerate Disney our undying love and affection and that we shouldn't have our own opinions.

I FUCKING LOVE STAR WARS

We don't want you to suck Disney's cock, just stop sucking your own.

The last three SW movies have at least been good enough to not merit complete derision. Full stop.

___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2997 on: February 05, 2018, 12:42:47 PM »
Here's the full teaser:

dog

Tasty

« Reply #2998 on: February 05, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »

I FUCKING LOVE STAR WARS

We don't want you to suck Disney's cock, just stop sucking your own.

The last three SW movies have at least been good enough to not merit complete derision. Full stop.

I'll suck whatever cocks I want. :ufup

I'm not deriding anything or basing my opinion of the trailer on the other movies. I think the trailer looks like shit and I'm basing my expectations for the movie on that.

You know how I know this movie's gonna blow chunks?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2999 on: February 05, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »

I mean, sure she's terrible, but don't forget the guy playing Han is so shitty they hired an acting coach for him in the middle of shooting. But it's not gonna be trash because of bad casting or shitty acting - it's not like the OG Star Wars are beloved for the tour-de-force performances on display. It's gonna be trash cuz it's a superfluous prequel that has no justification to exist outside of being a cynical cashgrab that had it's directors fired in the middle of it and basically had to be reshot.