Author Topic: Yes bécane! - The Other Bore Biker Daddies (Tour de France, brehs)  (Read 30579 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Yes bécane! - The Other Bore Biker Daddies (Tour de France, brehs)
« Reply #240 on: July 28, 2018, 06:54:49 AM »
Is the tour still a thing? Serious question, how is viewership nowadays? Only hearing bar things about this years Tour.

Viewership a bit down this year though it might by just context with the world cup. Still as big as ever.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #241 on: July 28, 2018, 07:49:09 AM »
I've mostly followed the Tour on radio, old style but my favourites this year :

Dan Martin, again. Never stop not waiting to attack.
Majka, Kruijswijk, Van Avermaet for animating the race.
Bernal sounds like a future monster.
A mention for Chavanel on his 18th and last Tour.

Letdowns : Landa, I expected more of him than just try his hand at one stage. Bardet though apart from winning it he would never live up to his two podiums. Barguil, hard to deny he seems to waste his potential by being so obtuse to modern training. Getting cosy in a middling French squad is not the good idea.

Teams I liked : Lotto Jumbo, most improved since the last Tour, they now look like a very strong outfit. Quick Step, more influential than you would expect in a GT.

Teams flops : Lotto Soudal, invisible the whole time bar for the brave attempts by De Gendt. Barhain-Merida had a pretty poor showing too though heightened by Nibali pulling out. Katusha.
ὕβρις

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #242 on: July 28, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
 :doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #243 on: July 28, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »
:doge

Team Sky riders finish 2, 3, 4 of the ITT  :goty2 (+ 14, 17 and 25 with Luke Rowe as the only outlier in 112th place)
ὕβρις

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
It looked like Zakarin's brakes started to give way at the end of the stage before he fell off the back. Not a great look for the only SRAM team.

zakarin is such a shit descender though. it was more likely a flat spot causesd by the way he was skidding around the corners

he also did the gc group a favor by going in the back... even the Eurosport commentators were mentioning how he needed to go in the back before he causes an accident

I think he's kind of shit in general once you factor in doping, but the moment I'm thinking of happened in the relative flat of a town / village / whatever they're called and then he just faded away afterwards. Could have just been nerves (he almost ate the tarmac when the rear wheel locked up) or his lack of skill, you're right.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #245 on: July 28, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
It's baloney that Froome is going to podium despite never doing domestique duties. Great time trial though, everyone seemed to have written him off.

To add to my earlier point about sponsorship being too insular and exacerbating the economic problems of the sport: Team BMC was underwritten for awhile by the owner of BMC Switzerland who died this year and the new leadership at the company signaled they had no interest in continuing the arrangement because it hadn't made business sense in a long time. This lead to the following shuffle of bike (and title) sponsors: Giant is going to be a (possibly the only!) title sponsor for Team BMC next season and Cervelo is going to be a title sponsor for Team Sunweb next season. At a certain level I understand why Giant would want to sponsor a "super" team, but Team BMC is "American" (they get tons of TV time here) and Giant doesn't need any help in the American market. Cervelo is owned by a Dutch conglomerate and that ownership jumped at the chance to sponsor Team Sunweb because it has the best Dutch rider in the sport on it. (Sorry, Kruijswijk.) This all has a certain logic to it, but it's not going to reverse the trend that began after Lance.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #246 on: July 28, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
I never looked into it but is there a reason why lotteries were so enamored with cycling (Lotto BE, Lotto NL, FDJ, ONCE... Probably missing a couple earlier ones, Italians maybe) ? My guess is probably due to laws surrounding national owned lotteries limiting the outlets they could invest in... Though I heard Lotto NL and FDJ are phasing out as sponsors soon, too.

It never looked very healthy on the economic front, much less so with billionaires & petrostates picking up the burden of "saving" World Tour teams in the last decade or so.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #247 on: July 28, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
Fandom in Europe skews more proletarian than it does in la anglophonie so you see more proletarian sponsors like lotteries, home improvement (Quick-Step, Hansgrohe), payday lenders (Cofidis), utilities (Movistar, Direct Énergie), or housewares (BORA) for European teams.

Contrast that with Mitchelton (wine), Drapac (money laundering real estate investment), Sky (pay-TV), and bike companies for the Anglosphere.

Personally I don't care for lotteries being able to advertise at all, let alone in the sport, but if Cofidis and the Kingdom of Bahrain can sponsor in the sport without issue I know that's wishful thinking.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #248 on: July 28, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
Yeah The Ringer touched on that (the fandom being more blue collar). Orieca was a mining company, too.

With regards to the situation at QuickStep, someone mentioned that sponsoring this outfit (main) for a Belgian company would probably be on the same order of magnitude than one of the major teams in the local football league. The Tour probably has bigger international appeal but for some of those sponsors it's not really here or there (though Belgium is probably one of the places where you'll get a ton of domestic coverage too). Their new secondary sponsor, Maes breweries, is not a brand that get exported AFAIK.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »
It's also the hot season for new contracts and the rumor mill is that Sky would be interested in Soler and Pinot :doge Soler sounds rational because he has the profile they love and is already a bit of a luxury domestique with prospect of becoming a good GT contender.

Movistar is bleeding support riders, with some speculation that Quintana is loathed by most of his teammates. Though really in truth it's probably the money and the success that lures so many to Sky : they also offered a lucrative 5 year contract to Evenepoel which is supposedly the next Belgian big thing but he turned it down for QuickStep. I would guess because he'll have more freedom from the get go to chase wins in one day races if he's strong enough or because he's more interested in Classics than GT.
ὕβρις

Kara

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2018, 01:08:04 AM »
Soler to stay at Movistar.

Jan Ullrich arrested in Mallorca for trying to break in Til Schweiger house to attend a party he wasn't invited to. Ullrich has not been in a good place for many years and is a bit of a pariah in Germany.

Bernal and Latour probably out for the remainder of the season and Landa unsure to attend the Vuelta because of an horrific crash at San Sebastian. Alaphilippe won the race.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2018, 07:08:39 AM »
And Ullrich was arrested again in Frankfurt after hitting, under the influence of drugs, a prostitute. He flew back home to enter rehab...
ὕβρις

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »

:ohyeah

BisMarckie

« Reply #254 on: August 20, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
I went for a 85km ride yesterday at a very leisurely pace and yet I am still sore. I should do this more often. :doge

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #255 on: August 20, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »
 :respect

BisMarckie

« Reply #256 on: August 20, 2018, 06:30:05 PM »
I want to go roughly the same distance next week but with a slightly more difficult profile.

Pray for me.  :doge

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
 :gddr5
La Vuelta a Espańa

BisMarckie

« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
I managed to do my 90 km route. Only managed a little over 20km/h on average though, but to be fair, I had to go uphill basically all the time. :doge

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2018, 12:12:56 PM »
i might be alone in watching today's stage but what a fucking race

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #260 on: October 05, 2018, 04:22:16 PM »

this is everything

Kara

Re: Yes bécane! - The Other Bore Biker Daddies
« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
There's been a lot of nasty press here with his win, which I can understand, but Sagan is a creep and everyone here loves him because he lip syncs Grease or whatever.

Wish Bardet could have won, on a selfish note. He's so close to really getting that marquee palmarčs.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »
Team Sky to become Team Ineos, possibly with even more budget.
Direct Énergie rumored to get a sponsorship from French Big Oil company Total.

Is this green washing ?

Will Astana change names to reflect the rechristened city denomination ?
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2019, 03:26:02 AM »
Dumoulin out of the Giro, for some Dutch journalists possibly a blessing in disguise for his upcoming Tour performance. Otherwise all favorites are there and nicely bunched together in the GC after this first week. Roglic is the tentative front runner but lost a top clmbing domestique IIRC. Same for Nibali. Consensus is that Astana has the strongest team as a whole.

Lastly, rumors / speculations that Bernal's injury, which was supposed to lead Ineos (ex-Team Sky) in Italy, was purely diplomatic in order to have him on the Tour.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2019, 10:35:23 AM »
Team Sky to become Team Ineos, possibly with even more budget.
Direct Énergie rumored to get a sponsorship from French Big Oil company Total.

Is this green washing ?

I'm glad les boys are on the state oil company gravy train now. Y'all did it. :tocry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Whenever their Twitter account posts something I still don't recognize the uniform. :lol
[close]

Having a chemical conglomerate feels like a moral upgrade over being in Murdoch's bosom but probably isn't.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2019, 04:36:43 AM »
There's talk of BIG MONEY and BIG TRANSFERS around with Total now in the fray, latest rumors are Kristoff and Alaphilippe. I'm a little concerned that we'll see once more a top French rider suddenly plateau and underperform after he gets his top contract with a French team. I don't know if it's complacency, management issues, skewed perception or something else but it never really pans out optimally.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #266 on: May 23, 2019, 03:48:30 AM »
Démare had his first win of the season on the Giro, in a stage where most of the contenders were involved in a crash in the last km.  :-\
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #267 on: May 23, 2019, 04:18:17 AM »
There's talk of BIG MONEY and BIG TRANSFERS around with Total now in the fray, latest rumors are Kristoff and Alaphilippe. I'm a little concerned that we'll see once more a top French rider suddenly plateau and underperform after he gets his top contract with a French team. I don't know if it's complacency, management issues, skewed perception or something else but it never really pans out optimally.

The stereotype outside France is that the training there is 20 years behind the times. (Bardet having to travel to Switzerland to get a power meter is the oft mentioned anecdote.) No idea if that's true or not, but I like to think it is a little (because I like that more than Sky marginal doping baloney).

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #268 on: May 23, 2019, 04:50:08 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be a stereotypical baguette holding snob making a gallant but hopeless stand against doping but considering what "top of the line training regime" entailed in the last three decades...

Another glaring unavoidable issue is that the Tour is really the only metric that counts, no matter how absurd. I'm not sure Alaphilippe would benefit from being forced to plan his season around that and be judged by his performance there or his "inability" to be a contender.

Oh well... Hopefully we can avoid a Team Ineos parade.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #269 on: May 23, 2019, 05:08:44 AM »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/campenaerts-hits-back-at-wiggins-suggestion-that-he-should-swap-teams/

:lol :dead

Daniel Friebe on the Cycling Podcast also expressed his belief, following the signing of new (British IIRC) staff that Barhain-Merida will probably downsize the remains of its Italian core.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2019, 10:10:47 AM »
Roglic as the top GC contender of the Giro, a new pink jersey leader and a Barhain staff member investigated by the UCI for links to the doping doctor at the center of the recent Austrian scandal... Slovenia has really boomed at the top of the cycling game yesterday.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2019, 05:19:29 PM »
After half a Giro of heightened criticism at how flat the race was (up to the point that some riders and journalists were concerned that it actually messed with the form and conditioning of favorites), fireworks finally started for good today. S.Yates was the biggest loser, he sorta bonked. Lopes had a bad day too though a mechanical didn't help. Zakarin (who won the stage), Mollema, Carapaz and Landa were the biggest winners and took back time to Roglic. Nibali followed in the Slovenian wheel without too much issue. A lot of GC riders apparently look spent so who knows if they'll be able to keep up but it is shaping up well for an exciting finale.

Edit : And Nibali is trying really hard to psych out Roglic by moaning incessantly about his passivity.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:37:06 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #272 on: May 24, 2019, 05:55:51 PM »
If Froome were Kenyan-Kenyan and named something like Chris Frumchotui, he would've been the darling of this forum for at least a couple of years.

:lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's maybe some truth to that.
[close]

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2356100#p2356100
ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #273 on: May 24, 2019, 06:31:10 PM »
The culture wars reached cycling. :noooo

Probably the last place where I expected a Ben Shapiro reference.  :doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #274 on: May 24, 2019, 06:51:24 PM »
I took a read at The Clinic over there and was mildly surprised to see the motor doping thread has been, for all intents and purposes, dead since last Tour after being all the craze for a couple of years. I guess the lack of any actual scrap to latch to or the lack of more bold claims by dubious insiders killed it somewhat.

Not sure I'm too sad about it though it's bound to happen in major pro races at one point.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2019, 03:18:11 PM »
Great ride by Carapaz today to take the pink jersey. The favorites group was a bit lightheaded in giving too much leash (or unable to pursue), it's not clear Roglic or Nibali are in total control here, Roglic seemed weirdly unconcerned on the finish line as Nibali was sprinting for bonus seconds... As someone on the CN forums said Roglic's confidence is either 0% or 100% judging on how the stage was raced. Yates had a better day, so did Lopes (pretty weak attacks tho), Majka kept up, Zakarin sunk and Landa might be expected to be a superdom... Again. :lol
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:24:00 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2019, 04:11:01 AM »
Also Colombian team Manzana Postobon was dissolved afterone too many doping case involving its riders.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2019, 03:41:55 AM »
Is there many other sports where a coach having to take a piss will serve extensive media coverage as a major game fact ? :lol

Roglic had a bad Sunday, suffering a mechanical in the last stretch of the stage and being forced to change bikes with his teammate Tolhoek because the team car was right at this moment stopped so that the DS could answer the call of nature. It was impossible to swap bikes beyond that because the racing went hectic upfront and Roglic crashed as he was trying to bridge the gap, relinquishing 40 second to Carapaz and Nibali.

There's speculation that Roglic picked form too early and is starting to fade. It's also clear he is impaired by the lack of support as his domestiques are not quite up to the task.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2019, 04:49:37 AM »
Interesting bit of trivia in today's Cycling Podcast : Valerio Conti, who was on top of GC several days earlier in that Giro, is the first rider born in Rome to wear the pink jersey. Danilo di Luca in 2007 was the first "southern" born Giro winner (if Abruzzes counts as southern), since then joined by Sicilian born Vincenzo Nibali.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »
Another good eventful stage despite the backup route but the gaps weren't as dramatic as they could have been ultimately. Lopez bonked at the end and lost a handful of seconds in the last kilometers, it's hard to imagine he can contend despite a very strong show of force by Astana. At this point Carapaz or Nibali look like the most probable winners, especially since they have the strongest teams besides the Kazakhs on top of being the strongest riders.

Ciccone took the stage in flamboyant fashion as the strongest man of a major breakaway that went up the road a few kilometers in.

Edit : Lopez had apparently the fastest climb on the Mortirolo

http://www.climbing-records.com/2019/05/migul-angel-lopez-fastest-on-mortirolo.html?m=1
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:58:08 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #280 on: May 28, 2019, 09:57:59 PM »
VK, just wanted to say that while I don't care for the Giro I'm really appreciating the updates. :respect

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #281 on: May 29, 2019, 04:16:32 AM »
VK, just wanted to say that while I don't care for the Giro I'm really appreciating the updates. :respect

:preach I usually only get into a fever for the Tour but things lined up well this year with the Giro being broadcasted live, free and easily streamable plus my planning allowing it to have stages as background noise. It is definitely a pleasing race to follow as no team is so ridiculously strong they can hammer out opposition just by tempo.

Carapaz is going to Team Ineos and that's the worst kept secret it seems. It made the rounds yesterday that he was approached by another team. He's managed by an agent who has many South American riders and over half a dozen clients at Ineos. That agent had a meeting a few days ago with Dave Brailsford and a famous talent scout specialized in South America.
It's not confirmed but it's all been reported as direct as it could be short of making an affirmative statement.

At any rate, Movistar has a whole swath of riders with contracts ending soon and probably couldn't afford to keep a Giro-winning Carapaz on top of Valverde, Landa and Quintana. The Spanish team is notoriously cagey about any transfer talk but it's already been rumoured that Quintana may have avenues elsewhere (Arkea Samsic). Valverde expected to stay put, because he's as much family / prop that you could be for a star rider. As for everyone's favourite cycling Iago, Landa, who knows what dark scheme he's thinking of anyway.

La Gazzetta Dello Sport got dragged a bit for publishing an article insinuating some very dark speculation after Roglic's discarded bike was nowhere to be found on Jumbo Visma's car following the stage he had a mechanical in and took Tolhoek's one. He himself was offered a functional bicycle by Movistar second car, so that's where the missing contraption was but that only became clear the following day.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #282 on: May 29, 2019, 06:55:08 AM »
Also quite a shock to see Movistar tactics™ being effective.
They still have time to jinx it tho.
They're leading the team classification (again) so there's that.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2019, 02:44:33 AM »
Frenchman Nans Peters won the bike race yesterday, which got the TV commentators up to cringy heights which in turn rolled my eyes at the back of the skull. But the AG2R rider was indeed the strongest of a chaotic breakaway despite being composed of strong raiders like Jungels (who had a bit of a relative stinker again... Bypassing classics for the Giro wasn't the best idea), Formolo or De Gendt. Peters extracted in the final kilometers and quickly put a minute he never lost. Chaves chased and finished second : He's not back to his rising star status of a couple of years back but that's encouraging.
First AG2R stage win on the Giro since 2011 IIRC. They had a meager year so far, it's their first World Tour success this season.

Landa squeezed an attack just before the finish and he took 19 seconds to Nibali (who also lost 7" to Carapaz). Baby gains but it's weird Nibali couldn't follow. Maybe a day without and he's lucky there was no earlier attacks.

Today supposedly a stage for the last two remaining sprinters, Ackermann and Démare, for the best sprinter jersey.

On the transfer front, Carapaz's agent is adamant that several offers are/were on the table including Arkea Samsic (again !) but common wisdom is that the move to Ineos is done and settled. Ineos would also keep all its high profile riders next season (Froome, Thomas, Kwiat, Bernal).
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
What just happened? Somebody destroyed a bike in front of break:D

I was only listening to RAI coverage and they were talking about some crazy guy throwing stuff.
I could not see what happened, fortunately nobody got hurt.

EDIT: it has just been reported by RAI that, apparently, he was a bit inebriated and wanted to participate in today's stage, he was obbiously denied that, so he lost his marbles

Wiggins is wild

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2360638#p2360638
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
What the fuck Groupama-FDJ :hhh  :snoop

After letting a three man break forward -a guarantee that Ackermann wouldn't be able to take the sprint jersey from Démare- that Bora (and Israel Cycling + Quick Step) didn't chase efficiently they decided to suddenly roll it back with 2km left for a bunch sprint just at the moment the break seemed it would make it on knife's edge (It sort of did, Cima won narrowly). Ackermann takes second place, Démare is 7th or 8th and lose the sprinting jersey, most definitely for good.

What a cock up, Jesus.

The Directeur Sportif was as surprised and pissed as anyone behind the screen. The strategy this morning was to let a break take the stage to protect the jersey, and to sprint defensively and let Bora take responsibility if need be so one of the riders (Démare himself or a road captain) fucked that up.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #286 on: May 31, 2019, 03:56:36 AM »
It would seem that the Giro Race Radio was inaccurate in giving gaps yesterday, which may account for some of the tactics being off pace, the bunch thought the breakaway was closer for a lot of the final stretch.

No ITT in the upcoming Tour. Watch Team Ineos savage the race and (French) climbers anyway.

Edit : Misunderstood, there's one short ITT with hills.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:33:23 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #288 on: May 31, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »
Esteban Chaves winning the stage like a boss.  :mods
ὕβρις

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #289 on: May 31, 2019, 05:45:36 PM »
esteban chaves parents :dead

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #290 on: May 31, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »
It's do or die tomorrow with the last stage & mountains before the ITT. Nibali needs to at least take a minute or 90 seconds on Carapaz, others behind him even more. It could happen but Carapaz looked strong throughout.

People already having Monday Morning Directeur Sportif Insights with a debate that Nibali maybe was too focused on Roglic to mark Carapaz who soared to victory in stage 14 with almost two minutes on the Italian. But to be fair, who was really paying attention to Carapaz and considered him a contender ? It seems absurd to say this about a guy who managed to finish fourth in the GC to that race before but it is at least partially true.

Anyway it was a pleasing race to follow because it wasn't strangled by the top teams but at the risk of sounding smug... That's the happy result of lower attractivity and competition. The Tour is a victim of its success in that way.
ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #291 on: May 31, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »
Planned my route for tomorrow. First time riding my bike this year. Gonna take it easy and just ride for around 80km.
 Mostly flat roads, but the weather is going to be nice and I will probably stop for a glass of wine on the way.   8)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2019, 06:42:45 AM »
Nibali up to GOB levels of illusion and psyching out opponents : his latest interview for RAI / Gazzetta is about how Landa is the strongest and implying Carapaz shouldn't rely on him today.

Edit : Zakarin in the break, now that's entertainment.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:24:17 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »
Monster tempo by Astana in the second of the five climbs today and everything is already down to the big guys. Nibali and Roglic got dropped by Lopez, Landa and Carapaz but bridged back on the descent. There's no denying the latter three looks like the strongest at that point.

Zakarin fumbled in the descent. Sivakov (the Franco-Russian rider as French commentators insist, though to be fair he does consider himself French despite running Russian for next Olympics) is also quite good. Another monster rider in Ineos :/ . Rumors that Lopez may be headed to Ineos, apparently, because I guess the deck is never too stacked in pro sports.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »
Rest of the tappa underdelivered a bit but that's often the case for those "ultimate chance to win" stages at the very tail end. After pushing so hard the pace went down enough that most of the big names managed to join back. Crashes and outside circumstances were the most notable thing : Zakarin, Majka and most importantly Lopez crashed... Seemingly because of a spectator for the Colombian, who was pissed enough to slap the guy. He'll maybe get a penalty for that and lost some time on Sivakov, white jersey still in play ? Roglic was pushed by a spectator for long seconds and didn't gesture the guy to stop. The Slovenian couldn't keep up when Landa, Carapaz and Nibali pushed hard in the finish despite throwing his all into it : he basically towed the rest of the GC guys for 2km only to lose single seconds to them still. Carapaz tried to gift Landa the win but Bilbao was the strongest to take his second stage win. But seeing the Maillot Rose working hard at the front was class, not gonna lie.

Landa is on the GC podium but I'd imagine Roglic is expected to claw that back in the ITT tomorrow.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »
Roglic slapped with a 10 seconds penalty for that fan push.
Lopez is probably discussed by judges.

Alaphilippe renewed for 2 years at Quick Step
Zakarin rumoured at CCC.

I think Carapaz just likes grimacing for no reason

Perhaps he trains with Voekler in the offseason?

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2361513#p2361513

Scott would have done better with Nieve for GC

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34601&p=2361390&hilit=Nieve#p2361390

:dead
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #296 on: June 02, 2019, 08:52:17 AM »
About today's ITT...

i put 500$ on campenaarts x 1.75, easy money.

YIKES

:yikes :dead

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2361876#p2361876
ὕβρις

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #297 on: June 02, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
Going to ride to work in the morning. First ride for about 4 weeks and it's freezing at the moment. Not looking forward to it, but it needs to be done.
Spud

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2019, 09:02:56 AM »
According to the Gazzetta, Carapaz will go from his current 150k€ / year Movistar contract to a 1,5m€ / year one at Ineos. Movistar goofed up with keeping his salary up to date...

Rumors that Jumbo Visma is interested in Kittel... And that Katusha may fold.

Team Dimension Data is having an annus horribilis.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #299 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:27 AM »
Big conservative money rumors :

Dave Brailsford to perhaps be promoted to manage the performance of all the sporting endeavours of Ineos billionaire boss (that include an America's Cup team and perhaps soon the OGC Nice football club).

Rod Ellingworth was earmarked to replace him but he left shortly after the team changed sponsors to Barhain-Merida. Barhain also has a partnership with McLaren now that could get upgraded to a main sponsorship or so it's told.

Michelton-Scott might also get a main or second sponsor from Colombia.

Most of the Giro 2019 top 10 riders will probably not be at the Tour, with Nibali and Roglic now reported hesitant to features. S.Yates on the other might end up doing it to support his brother.

Probably a lot of movement at DQS, like every year, with Alaphilippe moving up the hierarchy they'll probably have the usual brutal turnover imposed by their relatively limited budget. People expect Viviani and Mas to go to richer pastures at the very least
ὕβρις