Author Topic: MLB 2015: We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it  (Read 18284 times)

Real baseball starts Monday!

And for some reason people are picking my team to do well. I think we're better than last year, but uh... please don't jinx the M's.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:36:01 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: MLB 2015: We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
...at least you're looking better than the Braves

:tocry
yar

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »

I think the Mariners are gonna be really good this year, but everyone picking them to win the AL should stop. Now.
野球

El Babua

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
Marlins might go over .500 this year.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »
Marlins might go over .500 this year.

That was my goal last year with the M's... and it happened!

Marlins .500 Dare to Dream 2015!
野球

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
Indiana gonna win it all, it's the year of Cleveland!

Cavs.  :lawd

Indians.  :rejoice

Browns   :tocry
YMMV

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Yu Darvish getting dat Tommy Johns. :noah
©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »
Verlander looks like he might be headed down the same path. It's not "if, but when" when it comes to pitcher's arms.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »
Yea, lots of talk here about how bad of an idea it was to give him an extension. At the time he still had three years left on his deal.

Seems like many here think the Tigers window has closed or is done after this year.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
I feel bad for the Twins. They sign Santana based on recent performance, come to find out that the recent performance was probably due to steroids. Oh yea, and you lose him for half a year and still owe him 55 million over the next 4.

Next collective bargaining the MLB needs to make it so players can have their contracts revoked if they test positive. It will put more teeth into the testing policy.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 08:59:54 PM »
Don't got Time Warner so I can't watch Dodgers :shaq2
reckt

Cheddahz

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »

Please don't remind me

Sausage

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:20 PM »
I feel bad for the Twins. They sign Santana based on recent performance, come to find out that the recent performance was probably due to steroids. Oh yea, and you lose him for half a year and still owe him 55 million over the next 4.

Next collective bargaining the MLB needs to make it so players can have their contracts revoked if they test positive. It will put more teeth into the testing policy.

Baseball contracts are insane. Why would you ever play another sport.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 09:00:28 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2015/04/cleveland_indians_2015_preview.html#incart_m-rpt-1

World Series
spoiler (click to show/hide)
85 wins actually
[close]
or bust. Post the links to your favorite teams lineup
spoiler (click to show/hide)
For my daily sports gambling addiction
[close]
so everybody can check them out.

Baseball Season  :rejoice

Fuck Detroit PD   :ufup
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 09:02:05 AM »

Baseball contracts are insane. Why would you ever play another sport.

Trust me man if I wasn't all bat no field I would have went that route. I seriously couldn't play defense to save my life. I hit 14 home runs my junior year though.

:mynicca

guaranteed money  :rejoice
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:08:28 AM »
Real baseball starts Monday!

(Image removed from quote.)

And for some reason people are picking my team to do well. I think we're better than last year, but uh... please don't jinx the M's.

Kluber > Hernandez 

Deal with it.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »
Welp, the Braves just traded away the best closer in baseball. It makes sense (we're gonna suck for at least 2 years, why have Kimbrel on that team?) but sucks for me as far as having reasons to go to games before the team moves to White Flight Stadium at Chik Fil A Field up in the burbs in 2017.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
Welp, the Braves just traded away the best closer in baseball. It makes sense (we're gonna suck for at least 2 years, why have Kimbrel on that team?) but sucks for me as far as having reasons to go to games before the team moves to White Flight Stadium at Chik Fil A Field up in the burbs in 2017.

Yeah they got pennies on the dollar too, shit trade. Definitely in the tank for the year.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »

Yeah they got pennies on the dollar too, shit trade. Definitely in the tank for the year.

I mean, at face value it's a shit trade. But, they were never gonna be competitive this year, and long term it frees up like 60 million dollars to (allegedly) chase free agents with. So long term it makes sense, and there's no guarantee Kimbrel would still be at that level in 2-3 years when the team was (hypothetically) ready to be competitive again. This trade was all about moving Upton, IMO. We did get a top 50 prospect and the 41st pick in the draft, too. I think we have 4 of the top 50 picks in this year's draft. The team is doing smart things for the future, but it sucks for the short term.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »

I mean, at face value it's a shit trade. But, they were never gonna be competitive this year, and long term it frees up like 60 million dollars to (allegedly) chase free agents with. So long term it makes sense, and there's no guarantee Kimbrel would still be at that level in 2-3 years when the team was (hypothetically) ready to be competitive again. This trade was all about moving Upton, IMO. We did get a top 50 prospect and the 41st pick in the draft, too. I think we have 4 of the top 50 picks in this year's draft. The team is doing smart things for the future, but it sucks for the short term.

See I think they bit too soon. If they would have held out until around the trade deadline some closer deficient playoff contender would have gave them some legitimate assets. Prospects are always the most dangerous game.

Google the indians returns for the following

Bartelo Colon   :rejoice

CC Sabathia  :tocry

Cliff Lee    :snoop
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 11:56:17 AM »
Prospects are dicey, but our farm system is so stocked now that we can afford to turn some of these pitching prospects into quality position players before the 2017 season. We have a good, young and affordable starting pitching staff already, so I think most of these starters in our farm system that we've collected over the winter will turn into position players over the next few years... well, at least I hope so, because what we have now is a bunch of scrubs and Freddie Freeman. Poor Freddie, he could put up MVP numbers if he had lineup protection and guys on base in front of him.

Fortunately I'm old and remember the last time the Braves were consistently shitty, so this won't be the end of the world for me.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 11:58:47 AM »
Prospects are dicey, but our farm system is so stocked now that we can afford to turn some of these pitching prospects into quality position players before the 2017 season. We have a good, young and affordable starting pitching staff already, so I think most of these starters in our farm system that we've collected over the winter will turn into position players over the next few years... well, at least I hope so, because what we have now is a bunch of scrubs and Freddie Freeman. Poor Freddie, he could put up MVP numbers if he had lineup protection and guys on base in front of him.

Fortunately I'm old and remember the last time the Braves were consistently shitty, so this won't be the end of the world for me.

Life long Indians fan    :bolo

You guys broke my heart back in that series. damnit.

We were definitely the better team, shit our 3-8 hitters averaged what .290 25 75 between them? That and we had vizquel and lofton setting the table.

Be right back, I need a drink :tocry

edit: Maddux is my favorite pitcher ever though. Topped out at what? 85MPH....yet still dominant.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 12:17:17 PM »
When he was in his prime (last couple of Cubs years, first few Braves years) Maddux topped out at like 90, 91. What made him so great were 2 things: 1) He could put the ball wherever the fuck he wanted, with movement and 2) he was the smartest dude on the field, by far, and he knew it and thus wasn't afraid of anyone.

And yeah, y'all should have won that 95 World Series, but I have a hard time feeling bad for you guys since the Braves should have won probably 2 WS out of 91, 92 and 96. ESPECIALLY 96. Motherfucking Yankees.

:pacspit
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
When he was in his prime (last couple of Cubs years, first few Braves years) Maddux topped out at like 90, 91. What made him so great were 2 things: 1) He could put the ball wherever the fuck he wanted, with movement and 2) he was the smartest dude on the field, by far, and he knew it and thus wasn't afraid of anyone.

And yeah, y'all should have won that 95 World Series, but I have a hard time feeling bad for you guys since the Braves should have won probably 2 WS out of 91, 92 and 96. ESPECIALLY 96. Motherfucking Yankees.

:pacspit

Well that and this man

[-------------]   regular strike zone

[-------------------------]  maddux strike zone

I never saw anybody get more off the plate K's then him.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
That's true, but it was the era he pitched in, and he was still effective after MLB moved to more vertical strike zone rather than horizontal in the early 2000's. He and Glavine both were masters at that shit.

Smoltz was always my favorite Braves pitcher, though. If he hadn't had so many injuries he would have had 300 wins too. I doubt we ever see another pitcher get to 300. 4-5 years ago people were talking about CC getting there and look what happened to him. Sucks, even if he is a filthy fucking Yankee.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 12:27:05 PM »
That's true, but it was the era he pitched in, and he was still effective after MLB moved to more vertical strike zone rather than horizontal in the early 2000's. He and Glavine both were masters at that shit.

Smoltz was always my favorite Braves pitcher, though. If he hadn't had so many injuries he would have had 300 wins too. I doubt we ever see another pitcher get to 300. 4-5 years ago people were talking about CC getting there and look what happened to him. Sucks, even if he is a filthy fucking Yankee.

Top 5 pitchers I have ever seen, in order;

1) Pedro (that 5 year era he was so dominant it wasn't even funny)
2) Maddux (better overall career than Pedro but never quite as dominant)
3) Kershaw (Scare how fucking good this guy already is)
4) Pre roids Roger Clemens  (Durp)
5) orel hershiser (Was amazing with the dodgers)

edit: Forgot my personal favorite Dwight Gooden but his wheels fell off as quick as they went on.

3 most overrated

1) Randy Johnson
2) Nolan Ryan
3) CC Sabathia
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
I can't disagree with that list too much; I have the same 1-2. Prime Pedro was the craziest shit ever; he did all of that during the height of the steroid era, too, and I'm 99.9% sure he wasn't juicing. Kershaw is nuts today but hasn't proven himself under pressure in the post-season yet. Still, I'd say that he's definitely in there. I'd probably put Smoltz in at #5 just for his post-season numbers, which are insane. If he keeps it up, Madison Bumgarner might crack the top 5 too- that shit in the WS last year was fucking nuts. I remember watching the last game and when he came in, I knew it was over.

CC is definitely overrated. Dude should have signed with a NL team, could have won a lot more games, though.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
I can't disagree with that list too much; I have the same 1-2. Prime Pedro was the craziest shit ever; he did all of that during the height of the steroid era, too, and I'm 99.9% sure he wasn't juicing. Kershaw is nuts today but hasn't proven himself under pressure in the post-season yet. Still, I'd say that he's definitely in there. I'd probably put Smoltz in at #5 just for his post-season numbers, which are insane. If he keeps it up, Madison Bumgarner might crack the top 5 too- that shit in the WS last year was fucking nuts. I remember watching the last game and when he came in, I knew it was over.

CC is definitely overrated. Dude should have signed with a NL team, could have won a lot more games, though.

I was at a Red Sox versus Indians playoff game, and we were down 1 with a few innings lift. My father and I were pumped getting ready to get world series tickets when we saw Pedro (who had been scratched due to back problems earlier that week) come out of the bullpen with these "you're done" eyes.

Found it

:badass
He proceeded to destroy our souls in one inning.
YMMV

Tasty

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 12:45:43 PM »
#BostonStrong, bitches.  :punch

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV

Tasty

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »
Hopefully stronger than our pathetic showing last year. :lol

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »
Hopefully stronger than our pathetic showing last year. :lol

We got your manager, you see what happened :-)
YMMV

Tasty

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 12:53:37 PM »
Right now I'm 100% focused on the Bruins anyways. And if the Sox fail to make it to the playoffs again this year I can just look forward to the NHL preseason. :rejoice

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »
Right now I'm 100% focused on the Bruins anyways. And if the Sox fail to make it to the playoffs again this year I can just look forward to the NHL preseason. :rejoice

Y'all is a bunch of spoiled fucks

If the Pats ain't winning the Red Sox are.

If the Red Sox ain't winning the Bruins are.

If the Bruins ain't winning the Celtics are.

If the Celtics aren't winning, the Pats are.
YMMV

Tasty

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »

Y'all is a bunch of spoiled fucks

If the Pats ain't winning the Red Sox are.

If the Red Sox ain't winning the Bruins are.

If the Bruins ain't winning the Celtics are.

If the Celtics aren't winning, the Pats are.

Dat's why we's tha best.  :punch

(Though personally I give fewer than 0 fucks about the Celtics, and I'm only a bandwagon Pats fan since I don't like football.)

Now we gotta get the Revolution to kick some grass in soccer and our domination will be complete. :rejoice

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
:pacspit Boston sports fans

Most entitled, whiny ass titty babies on earth. So many bandwagon fans not from the area, too

Quite possibly the only fans more delusional in all of sports are Cowboys and Redskins fans.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 01:06:44 PM »
:pacspit Boston sports fans

Most entitled, whiny ass titty babies on earth. So many bandwagon fans not from the area, too

Quite possibly the only fans more delusional in all of sports are Cowboys and Redskins fans.

Most whiny? Yup

Most entitled? Nah that's strictly LA Fans.
YMMV

Tasty

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
Was gonna say something about LA too. :lol

NY fans used to be particularly bad but I think they've cooled off in recent years. Thank god.

Fucking Yankee scum :pacspit

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »
Was gonna say something about LA too. :lol

NY fans used to be particularly bad but I think they've cooled off in recent years. Thank god.

Fucking Yankee scum :pacspit

Oh yeah, Jets sucks, Giants suck, Nets Suck, knicks suck, yankees suck, mets suck as usual. It's a good time to be alive.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
I can understand Yankees and Giants fans being entitled; those organizations have won lots of championships. Knicks, Mets and Jets fans tho?

:ufup

STFU with your whining. Those organizations have each had brief flashes of minor relevance surrounded by mediocrity at best and all too often outright shittiness.

My favorite are Mets fans, tho. Because the Braves shat on the Mets for so long, and Chipper made the Mets his bitch on the regular.

:jawalrus
yar

Tasty

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
Rangers :larry

Sabres  :comeon

Islanders :mindblown

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »

Protip: 99% of the country could give two fucks about hockey. (Which is why they are always broke as fuck)
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
Braves got 400 year old click hitter Prado in at the 5 hole today, :umad
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2015, 01:26:39 PM »

He's on the Marlins now

(...who we're probably gonna lose to :fbm)
yar

Tasty

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »

Protip: 99% of the country could give two fucks about hockey. (Which is why they are always broke as fuck)

Yeah and all that money in the NFL and NBA goes to those fuckwits heads :ufup

Would rather have my nice and humble hockey gods :rejoice

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »

He's on the Marlins now

(...who we're probably gonna lose to :fbm)

Oh I meant Marlins, just got on that braves track earlier.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
Our 3 hole hitter is the corpse of Nick Markakis

Our 5th hitter is our defensive specialist catcher

...gonna be a long season, brehs

yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »
Our 3 hole hitter is the corpse of Nick Markakis

Our 5th hitter is our defensive specialist catcher

...gonna be a long season, brehs

How the fuck does Nick Markakis still have a job?

*Looks at the indians roster and sees Nick Swisher.

Oh nevermind.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
Worst part is that we went out and GOT him this offseason; dumped $44 mil over 4 years in his lap

Hopefully he does ok this season and we can dump him at the trade deadline. Trade deadline is gonna be nuts for the Braves this year; anyone we have that's done ok and isn't named Freeman, Simmons, Teheran, Wood or Miller will be available.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
Worst part is that we went out and GOT him this offseason; dumped $44 mil over 4 years in his lap

Hopefully he does ok this season and we can dump him at the trade deadline. Trade deadline is gonna be nuts for the Braves this year; anyone we have that's done ok and isn't named Freeman, Simmons, Teheran, Wood or Miller will be available.

We're paying Swisher 15 million a year to make stupid commercials, rehab his knee for 2 years, hit .200, slap a lot of high fives, and not make west coast road trips.
YMMV

ToxicAdam

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
You guys read this about the bathrooms at Wrigley? Incredible.

http://deadspin.com/an-absolute-shit-show-tales-from-the-wrigley-field-b-1695920768

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
Sign guys for "clubhouse" reasons, brehs

:foxx
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »
You guys read this about the bathrooms at Wrigley? Incredible.

http://deadspin.com/an-absolute-shit-show-tales-from-the-wrigley-field-b-1695920768

I like how they formed their own urinal on the concourse and off duty chicago cops couldn't be assed to deal with it.

Chicago....brehs
YMMV

ToxicAdam

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 03:23:51 PM »
Amazingly, the historical shittiness of the Yankee organization has actually turned Arod into a somewhat sympathetic figure. I'm find myself rooting for the guy to remain relevant (but not break any significant records).

Even Vince McMahon couldn't pull something like this off.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
Dude will never get to the hall of fame. That will be more punishment for his ego then fans hating on him now. I don't have a beef with him, I,m with you here.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
I don't have a beef with him over the steroids thing, because a shit ton of people were (and probably still are) using. His general shitty attitude, lying, denying, frivolous lawsuits, and unsubstantiated but believable rumors that he had a painting of himself as a centaur made make it impossible for me to feel any sympathy for his stupid ass, though.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »
I don't have a beef with him over the steroids thing, because a shit ton of people were (and probably still are) using. His general shitty attitude, lying, denying, frivolous lawsuits, and unsubstantiated but believable rumors that he had a painting of himself as a centaur made make it impossible for me to feel any sympathy for his stupid ass, though.

I hope he has a good season just to rub it in his face that he didn't need the drugs to get it done. Talk about ultimate fuckup.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »
As long as he mostly DH's I think a 20-25 hr season is totally reasonable. Any time spent playing in the field will be like rolling the dice on those shitty hips of his, though.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2015, 03:44:26 PM »
As long as he mostly DH's I think a 20-25 hr season is totally reasonable. Any time spent playing in the field will be like rolling the dice on those shitty hips of his, though.

20-25 seems a bit high but that New Yankee stadium is a rocket launcher so could be.....
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »
Looks like he might need to though, Yankees getting rocked on opening day

:heh
yar