Author Topic: True Detective season 2  (Read 21452 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: True Detective season 2
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2015, 02:25:32 PM »
That felt like it was supposed to be the second episode of the season.  I fact with just a few minor tweaks it could have been the second episode, given that we learned as much in that as the entire 4 episodes preceding it.  It feels like (and probably is) a rushed first draft.

Casper had my money
Missing girl
I just want my son

etc etc

you're right.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
This was the first episode where I felt an actual sense of momentum. Though I've been waiting so long for the hooks to finally sink in that I was pretty surprised to see there's only three episodes left, feels like we're still getting started.

Bebpo

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
These last 3 episodes are going to be the most amazing train wreck ever.

As long as it doesn't end up generic, cliche and predictable.  Because if the end surprises after all the nothing is just stuff people figured out from ep1/2, that's just dull.  For a trainwreck you gotta have it go crazy stupid.

This was the first episode where I felt an actual sense of momentum. Though I've been waiting so long for the hooks to finally sink in that I was pretty surprised to see there's only three episodes left, feels like we're still getting started.

I felt that for maybe the last 15 minutes from the scene with Velcoro and the Psych onwards.  Before that was the same glacial pace as the rest imo.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »
I liked the episode more than the last couple but it still had problems. The pacing of nearly every episode has been very slow, made worse by the editing. Scenes come and go without making an impact, some linger too long, and perhaps the biggest issue is that so many scenes are essentially repeated. Frank being the main culprit in this regard, as we get hit over the head with a wave of similar scenes every episode.

The season is almost over and I feel like very little has been accomplished.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2015, 08:36:26 PM »
I liked the episode more than the last couple but it still had problems. The pacing of nearly every episode has been very slow, made worse by the editing. Scenes come and go without making an impact, some linger too long, and perhaps the biggest issue is that so many scenes are essentially repeated. Frank being the main culprit in this regard, as we get hit over the head with a wave of similar scenes every episode.

There was one wtf moment for me in the episode- I think it was Frank and his lady talking, then they cut to another scene, then BACK TO THE SAME FUCKING SCENE WITH FRANK AND HIS LADY FOR ALL OF ANOTHER MINUTE OR TWO. What in the everliving fuck.
yar

bluemax

« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2015, 12:32:40 AM »
For comparison episode 5 of season 1 was the one where they meet and execute Reggie LeDoux and "wrap up" the case, then it time skips to 02 where Cohle gets info that makes him believe they got the wrong guy and he revisits the school. Episode 6 is about how Cohle and Marty move apart from each other, episode 7 is them taking the case up again in the present day, and then episode 8 is the big showdown and finale.

So assuming no more time skips

Episode 6: more personal issues shit from everyone, episode ends with someone making a discover or having a realization that leads to the center of the conspiracy.

Episode 7:Someone puts it all together, conspiracy starts to unravel, Semyon probably also continues to unravel, cliffhanger to final show down.

Episode 8: Final show down, big picture finally unveiled, consequences of revealing it are laid out, our heroes make tough choices. Taylor Kitsch still doesn't decide to be gay. Bezerides and Velcoro do butt stuff and live grumpily ever after. Frank Semyon gives one last awful monologue before his lady reveals she had a baby with his smarmy blonde assistant. Mayor Chessani's daughter, Woodrugh's fiance and Bezerides sister become lesbian lovers.

THE END.
NO

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2015, 12:36:33 AM »

There was one wtf moment for me in the episode- I think it was Frank and his lady talking, then they cut to another scene, then BACK TO THE SAME FUCKING SCENE WITH FRANK AND HIS LADY FOR ALL OF ANOTHER MINUTE OR TWO. What in the everliving fuck.

Yup that's the exact scene. IIRC the cut was to the gay cop having dinner with his fiance and her mom. Made no fucking sense.

Even a show like Game Of Thrones which often has too many characters/stories tends to handle editing better.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2015, 12:37:09 AM »
I've seen a lot of comments from regular people saying that was the best episode of the season. And I can see that point of view because a lot of stuff happened in the episode relatively speaking. But none of it actually made me care any more about any of the characters or just the general plot. So I think this season in particular just isn't for me.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2015, 01:08:10 AM »
Editing etc was closer to the first 2 episodes as well. Loved that small scene with Kitsch and Mcadams finding the torture hut/them walking through the forest.

I just don't get how they seemingly gave their least talented guy the big shootout episode. Y'all had Lin do two episodes and you don't give him the big explosive one?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
Editing etc was closer to the first 2 episodes as well. Loved that small scene with Kitsch and Mcadams finding the torture hut/them walking through the forest.

I just don't get how they seemingly gave their least talented guy the big shootout episode. Y'all had Lin do two episodes and you don't give him the big explosive one?

let this man direct your action scenes breh

btw he just got an Emmy nom for best directed episode  :lol

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
I'm glad that I have not watched this yet
püp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2015, 02:51:03 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

pain is inexhaustable, brehs

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2015, 07:38:23 AM »
Oh, man. That looks not-good.

Possibly doubleplus un-good.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2015, 11:44:45 PM »
Velcoro's rock and roll drug binge  :lol :lol :lol
zzzzz

Bebpo

« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2015, 01:28:01 AM »
These contracts...signatures all over them!

and this is how the story moves forward on the case?   :lol  Detectives can't actually figure anything out themselves so they magically find a document that explains everything which they will read in ep9 to explain the plot of the show.  This writing is terrible this season.

Otherwise was an ok ep.  Moved at the speed of a crawl and getting to the parties should have been the mid-season ep4 part.  Really just feels like Piz wrote a 2 hour movie-length story and then dragged it out to 8 eps of runtime.

Also the show being 100% predictable on the plot so far is ugh.  By ep2 or 3 we pretty much knew that the Casper killing was some how related to the corrupt local politics that happened at the sex parties and that the mayor and those involved didn't want anyone looking into the stuff so they setup the investigators with the meth house gang to have the meth house gang get killed and framed for the killing and the file closed (and with any luck kill the investigators).   By ep6 of 8 all that's happened is the show slowly showing us (and having the main characters figure out) what we know already.  It's completely unsatisfying and comes across as a really low-brow plotline.  The only thing interesting is what was the deal with Casper's killing, which they're saving for the last 2 eps to get into.
[close]

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2015, 01:42:07 AM »
That Frank scene where he's telling the boy he's full of gold :lol :lol :lol

Pretty obvious with this season that Pizzaman is a trash writer, and Fukunaga was working miracles on his end.
zzzzz

Bebpo

« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2015, 02:11:42 AM »
Yeah, that's my hunch too.  That Fukunaga was the reason S1 was good and it probably explains the bitterness between them.

Bebpo

« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2015, 02:13:09 AM »
I actually feel bad for all the actors outside Vaughn, although maybe even Vaughn a little.  I feel like even Kitsch is trying to do a good job, but these actors are given so little to work with here.  It's hard to even hate on Vaughn acting the same in every scene since he's given the worst scenes and some stupid ass dialogue like blue balls of the heart.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2015, 04:06:01 AM »

Pretty obvious with this season that Pizzaman is a trash writer, and Fukunaga was working miracles on his end.

Naw, his novel, Galveston, was very good from start to finish.

bluemax

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:50 AM »
The music when Farrell and Kitsch are sneaking around outside the mansion is so amazingly bad and unfitting. Its like something from a dramatic Hallmark movie or some shit.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »
I'll fully admit I'm no longer being fair to the show. Because I honestly don't like it this season, its all coming back to roost. And because I don't honestly enjoy any of the characters, my brain just sort of goes to a different place when I'm watching. I should just stop because I'm not getting anything from it, but I've already wasted the time so...

Every character is so dour I'm just over it. Every scene is so blatant about where its going the moment it starts. And its not any one individual. I think they are all trying their best. It's just so meh. It's like all the trappings of a high prestige show but none of the actual quality or heart of one. 

The initial scene where Colin and Vaughn are having their tough guy showdown. I mean its all just tough guy blather. The scene should matter. I'm supposed to be riveted. But instead I'm just laughing at the dialogue and their "burning intensity". Because none of the early stuff has worked, the stuff that is supposed to pay off now in later episodes is just so boring.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »
I'm mainly just watching at this point to see what other stupid trainwrecks they can possibly have, and because there are only 2 more episodes. Here's hoping Pizza takes a year off to write something genuinely good if there is a Season 3. I really do like anthology shows but this season has been a letdown.
yar

studyguy

« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »
Should I come back and run through this yet if I didn't like the first few eps?
pause

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »

I think that if you can watch it all in one run through it will watch better. At least your disappointment is contained to one day at that point and not drawn out over 8 weeks or whatever.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »

If you are the type who doesn't have an OCD type brain that has to finish stuff you started, then I can honestly say just skip it.

It does not get "better". The rest is of the same quality as the first few episodes.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2015, 02:16:13 PM »

Naw, his novel, Galveston, was very good from start to finish.

Trash TV writer
zzzzz

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
Pizzaman is a good writer when he sticks To southern gothic shit.  It's clear from this season he's out of his comfort zone.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »

It's stuff like this. That's delivered with such earnestness and no smile or wink anywhere in the show that is the true blue balls of the heart. It's like Pulp fiction if you sucked out every bit of fun, or joy, or surprise, or soul.

archie4208

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2015, 10:01:55 PM »
It's a big step down from season 1 (ya'll aren't kidding about the godawful dialogue) but I'm still enjoying it.   :yeshrug

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2015, 10:26:35 PM »
Apart from the bad-pulp dialogue, the writing this season seems like a reaction to how many viewers focused on the Carcossa mythology rather than the emotional arc of the characters last round.  This season refuses to indulge the supernatural and doubles down on exploring the Dark Brooding Souls of its characters, and it's to the shows detriment.  It seems like Pizza is trying to prove to himself that he's a more serious writer than he actually is, and it's a bit embarrassing to watch him face-plant like this. 

That being said, I still look forward to it every week, and I will be disappointed if HBO doesn't give him another crack at it.

Bebpo

« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2015, 10:31:20 PM »
Apart from the bad-pulp dialogue, the writing this season seems like a reaction to how many viewers focused on the Carcossa mythology rather than the emotional arc of the characters last round.  This season refuses to indulge the supernatural and doubles down on exploring the Dark Brooding Souls of its characters, and it's to the shows detriment.  It seems like Pizza is trying to prove to himself that he's a more serious writer than he actually is, and it's a bit embarrassing to watch him face-plant like this. 

That being said, I still look forward to it every week, and I will be disappointed if HBO doesn't give him another crack at it.

But Rust and Marty's relationship was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than this.  It was the soul of S1's show.

bluemax

« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2015, 10:57:36 PM »

But Rust and Marty's relationship was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than this.  It was the soul of S1's show.

Yeah. I mean Rust and Marty were two fucked up people with messed up lives, but the show gave you enough info to see how they learned to work together, respect each other and play off each other's strengths and weaknesses. This season there's so many people and they spend so little time together that there's no chemistry. There's just these characters having random moments of expository brooding that's supposed to be deep but it doesn't get built upon and the other characters usually don't respond and it goes nowhere.

It's also annoying how much screen time and how many awful monologues are given to Frank Semyon.
NO

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »
The show hit rock bottom with Vaughn's heartfelming speech to Stan's kid.  Most people are still confused as to who Stan even was and Vaughn's delivery was so bad.  Two more episodes of this shit brehs  :'(
vin

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
these contracts... there's signatures all over them

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2015, 04:22:55 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2015, 10:40:40 PM »
Easily the best episode of the season for me. Things happened, actors didn't appear to be suffering through every bit of dialogue.

At this point it really feels like he had four episodes worth of material and didn't have time or know how to plot it better for 8.

Barry Egan

« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2015, 10:53:13 PM »
yeah it was a really great hour of TV, and if this were episode 3 instead of 7 it could have been an awesome season.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2015, 11:53:05 PM »
Looks like the last two episodes are gonna be pretty good, but will end up being a mixed to poor season overall.

:yeshrug
yar

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2015, 01:47:39 AM »
That episode was actually ok. Still feels crazy to me that next episode is the last. Don't know how there can be a satisfying conclusion when things only just started happening.
zzzzz

bluemax

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:39 AM »
That episode wasn't terrible, other than it bringing Kitsch to a lack luster end.

At least that insane reddit theory about Burris being a secret good guy is totally kaput.
NO

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2015, 02:25:32 AM »
So the last episode is apparently feature length. Not psyched about that with a show that already feels like a chore to watch 90% of the time.
zzzzz

Barry Egan

« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2015, 02:45:42 AM »
nm.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »
only thing i didn't like was the final stuff between mcadams/farrell

I was shipping for Velcoro and the bar waitress :shaq2

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »
only thing i didn't like was the final stuff between mcadams/farrell

I was shipping for Velcoro and the bar waitress :shaq2

Same.

archie4208

« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2015, 09:53:57 PM »
F
[close]

bluemax

« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:05 PM »
I gotta admit, I was totally off on Chessani's kids being the kids from the robbery. I completely forgot about the secretary but she definitely stood out in the episodes she was in so it isn't surprising that she came back as being important.

So the last episode is apparently feature length. Not psyched about that with a show that already feels like a chore to watch 90% of the time.

Quote from: Slate
Next week’s 90 minute—yes! 90 minute—finale should involve Velcoro and Bezzerides trying to find Laura and Leonard and going to the Feds “or CNN” with the conspiracy, because if they don’t, they are going to be murdered by Burris and Holloway et al.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:41:17 AM by bluemax »
NO

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2015, 12:26:10 AM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2015, 01:59:54 AM »
Finally got around to watching the last couple episodes. Ep 6 wasn't bad; my brothers warned me it was pretty bleh but I thought it was alright. My biggest problem being the hooker party house. I can buy a female cop getting in. I can't buy her getting out after stabbing two dudes, while carrying a drugged girl. Not to mention the other cops just so happening to stumble into the exact right room where the exact documents that held the exact documents they were looking for.

Really liked ep 7. Very tense. Sad to see Gay Batman go tho. He was my nicca.

From a plot perspective this season is a mess though. Pieces have come together but still...jesus. Really the thing that makes it worse is the horrible pacing (and puzzling editing).

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »
Sad to see Gay Batman go tho. He was my nicca.

Newsfeed
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
Watched the last episode. I could see that if you were invested that was by far probably the best episode of the season. I'm not really invested so I thought it was fine for what it was but nothing really awesome.

The mystery aspect of the show has probably been the most disappointing. I don't care about that at all. I'm remotely interested in what happens to the characters in the finale and see if more of them die I guess.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2015, 12:02:27 AM »

I did like these last two episodes though.
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2015, 01:08:31 AM »
Well, at least we've got this to look forward to, man.

yar

Bebpo

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2015, 01:31:24 AM »
Well that was worse than any finale I could have ever imagined even going in with the lowest of expectations.  Show sucked.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2015, 01:38:33 AM »
Well that was worse than any finale I could have ever imagined even going in with the lowest of expectations.  Show sucked.

:picard

It wasn't that bad, imo.

What did you want, a happy ending? No show ever telegraphed that that wouldn't be happening more than this one ever did, for fucks sakes. You could tell that Ray was dead as soon as he made the idiotic decision to see his kid one last time. And Frank's demise was also entirely predictable- when he was going into his downward spiral, he fucked over so many people there was no reasonable way to believe he would come out that alive. If it hadn't been the Mexicans, it would have been someone. He got sloppy and let his guard down after he got the diamonds.
[close]
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2015, 01:59:18 AM »

:picard

It wasn't that bad, imo.

What did you want, a happy ending? No show ever telegraphed that that wouldn't be happening more than this one ever did, for fucks sakes. You could tell that Ray was dead as soon as he made the idiotic decision to see his kid one last time. And Frank's demise was also entirely predictable- when he was going into his downward spiral, he fucked over so many people there was no reasonable way to believe he would come out that alive. If it hadn't been the Mexicans, it would have been someone. He got sloppy and let his guard down after he got the diamonds.
[close]

Like you said, everything was entirely predictable, full of cliches, characters all acting like idiots, the actual mysteries in the series ended up be nothing (birdman lol), and they basically threw up their hands and just wrapped up all subplots by a series of big loud shootouts and off-screen "tying up loose ends".  So many scenes insulted the viewer's intelligence and for some reason they made it 90 mins but actually only wrote 60 mins and just dragged out scenes on after another,  and that last scene Frank appears in for instance was just face plantingly stupid, especially the end.

I've honestly never seen a show nosedive in quality like this did between seasons.  I really think S1 must have been all on Fukunaga, because S2 is seriously hack job level.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2015, 02:18:19 AM »
Watched it. Very predictable. It wasn't any worse or any better than any part of the season for me. It was always mediocre from beginning of the season to the end. It just never clicked or found its rhythm or was about anything that I cared about or touched me. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody to watch.

It also always tried to sort of act like it was more clever than it was. The first season partially has the same flaw but it has those wonderful characters to fall back on.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2015, 03:47:22 AM »
Best part was when the lady told Vince Vaughn he can't act for shit. 0/10 bad season. I'm not watching Season 3 until it's at least half way through and I'm assured by people I can trust that it doesn't suck.
zzzzz

bluemax

« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2015, 05:07:36 AM »
Worst detectives ever. Even Shitty Batman in Name Only in the Chris Nolan movies was a better detective.
NO

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
Well, at least we've got this to look forward to, man.

(Image removed from quote.)

“This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous.”
©@©™