Author Topic: True Detective season 2  (Read 21450 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: True Detective season 2
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2015, 08:59:34 PM »
Vox article is solid too:
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/10/9125723/true-detective-finale-recap-season-2

Not surprising that pretty much everyone had the same complaints as we did in here though.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2015, 09:05:15 PM »
zzzzz

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »
I'm pretty glad I ended up stopping after episode 2 or 3
dur

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2015, 11:10:26 PM »
I actually had a lot more fun talking about this season than I did season 1. I don't know if it's just the 'bitching is fun' gene built into New Englanders, but seeing this thing take an 8 episode long swan dive into utter mediocrity has been a blast. Almost every week the show showed brief glimpses at how it could have been good, yet managed to top the last episode with bafflingly awful dialogue. I'll probably watch it again in a few months on the iPad with a notepad doc open to write down the funniest shit that somehow managed to get from pen to page to an actors mouth. The 'blueballs of the heart' and 'these contracts' lines stick out the most in my mind but there are at least a couple dozen other lines that are just as amazing.

bluemax

« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2015, 11:42:24 PM »
Yeah hating on this nonsense of a season was more fun than watching it.
NO

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2015, 08:38:07 AM »
"Half anaconda, half great-white" was definitely my favorite.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2015, 05:44:17 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2015, 10:48:50 PM »
I'm two episodes in; the cinematography is largely pretty, but the editing is somewhere between nonsensical and atrocious. It's hard to tell where anyone is looking, or where they're going at any moment. I can't tell if they're trying to emphasize LA's shabby monotony or if it's just an accidental tone they've achieved.

Also, reading this, because I'm already super confused:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

How much cocaine do you think Nic's doing, on a scale of "busy housewife" to "Tony Montana"?

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2015, 10:54:43 PM »
I'm two episodes in; the cinematography is largely pretty, but the editing is somewhere between nonsensical and atrocious. It's hard to tell where anyone is looking, or where they're going at any moment. I can't tell if they're trying to emphasize LA's shabby monotony or if it's just an accidental tone they've achieved.

Also, reading this, because I'm already super confused:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

How much cocaine do you think Nic's doing, on a scale of "busy housewife" to "Tony Montana"?

My guess is somewhere in the "Johnny Depp in 'Blow'" neighborhood.
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2015, 05:02:03 AM »
I just finished episode 4, with the shootout.

Vince Vaughn is given occasionally cornball stuff to say, but is basically doing a good job. His character is affectless, but that's his defense mechanism. He only lets the rage out when it does what he needs it to do.

Taylor Kitsch isn't given much to work with -- I mean, his character's backstory is pretty great, and his internal tension and unwillingness to accept himself for who he is, what he has done... that's all fantastic. And then somehow all the opportunities to really dig into it are just not present. When he's responding to a situation, he's fantastic, but there just aren't enough scenes for him to push back against.

Most surprisingly, Colin Farrell doesn't really do much with his role, and Rachel McAdams can actually act. This is the best I've ever seen her act. Normally she is a complete scene killer for me, but she is completely killing it here.

All that said, as exciting and visceral as the shootout was, it felt like just as much "sound and fury." We have a build-up with Sr. Amarillo being the suspect, and then automatic weapons fire, dead cops, explosion (wtf?), dead civilians, dead bus, and then the resolution. As each of the remaining cops looks at each other and reacts to what's happened, it is entirely unclear what the director expects the audience to feel, or what this all meant. I recognize that a serialized drama starts with the assumption that we'll tune in again next time to continue the story, but we spent 15 minutes of crazed violence, only to end it with unreadable looks between the leads, signifying nothing.

It was great, last episode, seeing Fred Ward (Colin Farrell's character's father) in the lounge where the Conway Twitty lip-synch was happening. I wish that guy had gotten more work in life. Hell, I wish Remo Williams had become the series it was intended to become.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
Finished the series last night. It must benefit from binge-viewing, because I thought it was great. Nic Pizzolato is an unrelenting nihilist; he must be fun at parties. While not as accomplished as season one, it is still very good.

It shared a few things in common with the first season. Supernatural-seeming red herrings lead up to a letdown of utterly mundane crimes. Actual supernatural insight will never serve to improve our situation, e.g. knowing when someone we love has been killed, predictions of our own death will prove correct. High level corruption goes unpunished. Good people frequently die badly, and innocence serves poorly as a shield.

Most of the directors spent time trying to ape Fukunaga's first-season cinematography, and succeeded in many single shots, but not as a unified whole. The shots of the Conway Twitty lip-synch lounge and Bezzirides' ride on The Great Escape boat, superimposed ocean and timing felt more like David Lynch sequences than anything else.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2016, 09:50:56 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2016, 09:53:13 PM »
well shit

Stoney Mason

« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »
To be fair its not official yet. But I could easily see it happening.

Tasty

« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2016, 10:05:40 PM »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2016, 12:02:22 AM »
 :shaq2
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2016, 12:06:29 AM »
Why give him a new show instead of making him prove his worth with another season of True Detective? Doesn't really make sense that HBO would launch something helmed by a guy coming off a disaster. And I didn't hate S2 as much as some but still.

I'd be curious what he can do with a smaller scope. Having four major characters was a terrible idea, as was the ridiculous plot. I'd see if he can deliver something smaller - doesn't have to be two detectives, it could be one or even zero - and then determine whether to give him the keys to another show.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2016, 01:00:44 AM »
They probably feel the brand is damaged. Better to create something new instead of trying to rehab it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2016, 02:26:31 AM »
They probably feel the brand is damaged. Better to create something new instead of trying to rehab it.

That was my thought as well, but it's almost certainly typical Hollywood regime-change policy. With Bloys replacing Lombardo, anything started under the old watch can only be a partial win for the new leadership. Even making a turnaround on True Detective would be seen at least in part as attributable to s1's tremendous success. Better for Bloys to put Pizzolato on a new thing and be able to take credit for helping the talent find their footing anew.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2016, 01:52:17 AM »
S2 of TD had two major problems- one, it was rushed, and two, there was no one who could curb Pizza. No one there to say: four main characters is too much. Vince Vaughn is wrong for this role. You're doing too much coke. Also, the tone suffered because there were different directors instead of one.

Give him plenty of time to develop a 3rd season and pair him up with a hungry younger director with something to prove and you'll get a good product. Personally, I'd like to see them try to rehab the TD franchise because I really like anthology shows. Tell a story in one season, none of this shit drags on forever bullshit.
yar

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2016, 02:04:43 PM »
I'm glad it's done. I liked the first season a lot and by the end of it almost all of my friends were watching it but I actually kind of enjoyed how the world simultaneously turned on the show once season 2 turned out to be trash more than watching season 1. The discussion of the show shifted from the show itself to "Can you believe this sucks so bad now? Next episode can't possibly be worse" followed by "Holy shit! That was somehow even worse!" One of the rare times society has collectively been as baffled.

RIP Stan, you were too good for this cruel world