Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 893954 times)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
Re: minor inconveniences that are not struggles
« Reply #6480 on: November 07, 2018, 02:43:22 AM »
Surely there are other advisors you could pay in this case?
i'm finding that in this region, they all suck supersaiyan donkeydick so moving from one to another won't help :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6481 on: November 07, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »
Having a serious problem with ONE co-worker. It's been a while since I had to work this hard just to maintain basic civility.

You know what to do.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

BisMarckie

« Reply #6482 on: November 07, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »
We have all this amazing tech, yet we still can't really treat a cold. Made myself look like an idiot by coughing and blowing my nose constantly during a meeting.

Calling in sick for the rest of the week.  :hmph

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #6483 on: November 07, 2018, 11:28:32 AM »
I talked to my old manager for no more than one minute last night, the first time in a month because I was fucking BANNED from talking to her, and today I found out she's being fucking transfered to a different store. Cocksuckers. This is such bullshit. Fuck this shit. Fuck them. Fuck! I'm LEAVING, wtf is the big deal?!
Sex, flirting, arguments, restraining orders.

Your work life sounds like an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6484 on: November 07, 2018, 08:16:18 PM »
The dog made a hole in her favorite toy and stuffing started coming out.  She loves this thing and it was so hard taking it away from her.  :( :'(  She kept trying to eat the stuffing so it had to be taken away.  Let her keep chasing it to tire her out and I'm gonna go throw it away in a bit.  I put it on top of a table and she kept looking at it and then at me, waiting for me to throw it. 
:stahp

Fortunately replacements are easy to get and I ordered two more coming on Friday.  Gonna keep a backup for the next time this happens. 
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #6485 on: November 07, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »

Sorry you are sick, but I think the correct word here is asshole.

Hate when people show up at work coughing and sneezing virus everywhere;  wonder how many people you just got sick?

I was the only one who had any idea how to tackle a specific problem . I could have stayed at home and we would have probably lost the.biggest client of the year. I'm sure people will be fine with a runny nose when these bonus checks start rolling in. :money :trumps

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6486 on: November 07, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »
Couldn’t have given your input over the phone though?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6487 on: November 07, 2018, 09:21:28 PM »
Hate when people show up at work coughing and sneezing virus everywhere;  wonder how many people you just got sick?

There's someone at my wife's job who brings her kids to the office every time they get sick instead of staying home with them.   :-\  I can't believe that people put up with that shit there.  Apparently the boss is OK with it.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #6488 on: November 07, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »
Shostas life is fascinating.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6489 on: November 07, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
Shostas life is fascinating.
Had a total Curb moment just now. Been talking to this barista for a couple of weeks. We were chatting and I said I was going to get some sushi and asked if she wanted any. As a half offer. Because that's polite. I wasn't, like, super serious. But it was out there. And she said she would love that. So she goes away for a bit to help someone and comes back and I ask what she wants and she's being difficult and I can tell she wants to rescind accepting the offer. Because SHE was just being polite. "I'll just have whatever you don't eat." "I'm going to eat everything I order though.." I can't take back the offer because, like, I'm fucking in this now, and so is she, and it's so awkward for both of us. So she says "I'll just have whatever." And stupid me goes "are we gonna split it?"

:snoop

But seriously, ALL she had to say was "I'm not really hungry actually." That's what I wanted her to say! That's all it takes! It's not like I'm trying to waste money on strangers! Well now it's even more awkward because it looks like I'm trying to give her gifts?! But I can't NOT disappear without coming back with some food! I'm a regular there! This is so fucking stupid!
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #6490 on: November 07, 2018, 11:20:40 PM »
Just tell her your balls taste kind of fishy.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6491 on: November 07, 2018, 11:24:34 PM »
I had a bit of a blow up via email exchange yesterday arguing about unfair labor practices with my manager and another team lead sideways to her. Realistically, does it affect anything if you quit without notice?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6492 on: November 07, 2018, 11:32:46 PM »
I had a bit of a blow up via email exchange yesterday arguing about unfair labor practices with my manager and another team lead sideways to her. Realistically, does it affect anything if you quit without notice?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2017/08/14/ten-good-reasons-to-quit-without-giving-notice/#3b36fd0f751a

I wish the working world were civil and human enough for me to tell working people "Never, ever quit a job without giving two weeks notice!" but I can't.

Too many hard-working and honest employees have been walked out the door like criminals just for giving notice at their job. It's unethical to refuse an employee's notice without paying them for that time, but there are skeevy managers who do it anyway.

There is too much fear in too many organizations. There is no business justification for ripping off an employee who is only trying to quit their job in a dignified and professional way by giving notice. Some managers are so fearful that they think anybody who quits their job is a traitor and a risk. They don't realize that their own fear is their biggest enemy.

Unless a manager trusts themselves enough to trust the people they hire, they will never be a leader. They will only be equipped to manage through fear, because they don't know how to build trust.

Here are ten good reasons to quit your job without giving notice.

1. Quit your job without giving notice if you don't  believe that you will be allowed to continue working through your notice period (and you need the money). It is preferable to give your manager two weeks notice when it is possible. However, if you know from past experience with a particular manager or organization or your gut knows that your manager will not honor your two-week notice, then forget it! Just pack up your stuff and go. You can tell your manager you're leaving on your way out the door.

2. If you've found a better job and they need you to start right away, and your current manager has given you no reason to offer them the gift of two more weeks of your time, then forget the notice period and bolt.

3. Quit without giving notice if there is nothing for you to train anyone else on, your time in the job has been miserable and you aren't planning to include the job on your resume.

4. Don't worry about giving notice if the company is laying people off and looking to save payroll dollars.

5. Forget the two-week notice if you and your manager at having a major conflict and/or your boss has started a "paper trail" in order to eventually fire you. They want you out anyway, so the two-week notice is pointless. They are hoping you find another job and move on.

6. You can leave without giving notice if your manager or someone else in authority does or says something horrible to you, and sadly it happens. You do not have to stick around to put up with two more weeks of abuse. You can say "I will be leaving now" and dip!

7. Get up and go without giving notice if you are going to work for a competitor -- and your employer sees a move to  a competitor as an unforgivable sin.

8. Quit your job without a notice period if you've only had the job for a month or two and there really isn't anything for you to do for two more weeks.

9. Leave your job the minute you find a better job if your managers require or expect you to do anything illegal, unsafe or ethically wrong. Our young friend Monica ran into a situation like this. She was hired into a boiler-room sales operation and given a script to read to customers. The script was full of lies. Monica hated the job but she needed an income. The minute she found something better, she fled. No two-week notice for slime bags!

10. Above all, quit without notice and get out of any job that makes you feel unsafe. Just get out. Don't assume that because you work for a well-known company or because your friend got you the job, somehow that will protect you. Get out of any unsafe work situation right away. Trust your gut!

:leon

Makes me wish I just walked out of my last job...damn.  :lol  I went through some crap the same day I put in my notice and there were no bridges to burn since just about everyone I knew there has since quit or been fired.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6493 on: November 08, 2018, 12:09:57 AM »

It doesn't sound like you'll be expecting a stellar reference from them, so... no.

kingv

« Reply #6494 on: November 08, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
Do companies ever actually contact references?

I’ve never contacted a reference when hiring nor have I ever had a reference contacted when being hired.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6495 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
Do companies ever actually contact references?

I’ve never contacted a reference when hiring nor have I ever had a reference contacted when being hired.

Maybe it depends on the field?  Had it happen at my last job numerous times and have been called by people when my friends have listed me before.  Had someone ask if they could list me as a reference a few months back and said sure.  TBH I didn't even remember how good or bad of a worker she was (She was one of the newer people who came in right before I quit) and was glad that the person who phoned me to ask about her never called back for info.  :lol
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #6496 on: November 08, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »
If I ever get phones as a reference I will refer to the person exclusively as Old girl or old boy.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6497 on: November 08, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
I will refer to the person as Old dog or old salty dog if the call is about the cabin boy position. 

Tasty

« Reply #6498 on: November 08, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6499 on: November 08, 2018, 10:17:22 AM »
"Hello is this Old dog?  I'm calling regarding old salty dog.  He says he cabinned boyed under you in ... lets see ... from 2013 to 2015?  Could you tell me about that."

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6500 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:01 AM »
I've been called for references multiple times;  they ask all manner of questions.. don't beleive the BS that "they can only ask if you worked there and how long" that you'll hear.

Yes, references matter.
I've had the exact opposite. If someone puts me as a personal reference then yeah I give tons of honest feedback.
But if it's just a company check every company I've been with has had a strict policy that you can verify that they were employed and if  you fired them or not. That's all. Even if they ask why they were fired, we were told to not disclose and just say they were let go and that's that.
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6501 on: November 08, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »
The problem is with my manager's director. My manager has tried to negotiate on my behalf for the past year and is also happy to be a reference for the other places I'm applying to.

Y'all don't know how bad it is in a unionized company that has no official performance metrics.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6502 on: November 08, 2018, 02:55:24 PM »
Filled with Jack Remington levels of rage and just trying not to blow up at work. Tell me more about this quitting without notice

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6503 on: November 08, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »

Fortunately replacements are easy to get and I ordered two more coming on Friday.

Uh oh.

shosta

« Reply #6504 on: November 08, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
replacement employees are easy to get and brawndo's boss ordered two more coming on Friday
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6505 on: November 08, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
Hopefully they’re sent the same route as bork’s packages usually are

Update to my work mood: I went into my bosses office, closing the door behind me, and had a really good 2 minutes hate and I’m feelin better — plus my new famicom clone I won on toreba was on my desk when I came out
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:32:08 PM by CatsCatsCats »

shosta

« Reply #6506 on: November 08, 2018, 05:54:39 PM »
What even set you off?
每天生气

jorma

« Reply #6507 on: November 08, 2018, 06:01:05 PM »
The problem is with my manager's director. My manager has tried to negotiate on my behalf for the past year and is also happy to be a reference for the other places I'm applying to.

Y'all don't know how bad it is in a unionized company that has no official performance metrics.

I'd give notice and suffer through it if i wanted to use the manager as a reference, since leaving without giving notice is going to affect her the hardest and her review of you might be less than stellar if she's wading in shit because of you leaving on the spot..

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6508 on: November 08, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »
What even set you off?

Carrying the vast majority of the work load due to coworker incompetence and laziness

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6509 on: November 08, 2018, 10:48:20 PM »
I know that feel. :noah

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6510 on: November 09, 2018, 12:18:55 AM »
Whenever Windows 10 has an update it wants to restart for, my right mouse button loses about 90% of its sensitivity. I can't decide if I appreciate this notification or not.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6511 on: November 09, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
Woke up in the middle of the night with a severe charlie horse - thought I was having a stoke for a second. 

kingv

« Reply #6512 on: November 09, 2018, 12:14:54 PM »
Woke up in the middle of the night with a severe charlie horse - thought I was having a stoke for a second.

I get those in my calf like twice a year.

It’s excruciating.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6513 on: November 09, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
Same

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #6514 on: November 09, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
wasn't paying attention to my barber when he asked a question (i find haircuts relaxing and had zoned out)

so now I am sporting a clean shaven face for the first time in years. rut row
dur

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #6515 on: November 09, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
I look like a less fat rich Evans. I don’t know how to classify this

Except need to get to the gym more
dur

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6516 on: November 10, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
I woke up this morning after having slept with the window opened and was immediately like "Smoke! I smell smoke! Something's on fire!" I jumped out of bed in a panic and after I woke up a little I realized that it's just the smell from the outside from the state being on fire. I'm sure all this ash in the air is going to be great for me.
que

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6517 on: November 10, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
Waiting to go to brunch with my wife, starving and in need of caffeine. I made the mistake of putting on a sweater and now I look “nice” and she needs more time

Raist

« Reply #6518 on: November 10, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »
Dress nicely, "oh shit, gimme five more """"minutes"""" "

Dress not nicely, "so you legit think you're gonna go out in public with me, dressed like this?"

shosta

« Reply #6519 on: November 10, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
I woke up this morning after having slept with the window opened
:???
It was almost freezing last night!
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6520 on: November 11, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
I have a tendency for lipoma on my thighs, particular the right leg, and a new one has popped up that seems to be situated on a nerve or something so I feel like I have a pulled quad 24/7.
Wow, what a lazy limp noodle legged bitch. Probably a gamer.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6521 on: November 12, 2018, 07:02:03 AM »
Went to lunch with two new-to-the-team guys and two regular lunch friends today, and as I'm paying the bill, one of the regulars says, "Oh, but the new guys aren't going to pay, right? Just us?"

I'm sure he was just trying to reinforce that he planned to pay, but at that point, I had to cover the two other guys' lunch or look like a cur.

(The place was cheap, but I think I'll have to think hard before inviting that guy to the Trattoria I'd been hoping to revisit soon.)

shosta

« Reply #6522 on: November 12, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »
I clean fuel pumps and put cash in a register for $9.55

Wtf does your boss txt about then
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6523 on: November 12, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »
Had a sex dream only to wake up and realize the girl had her vagina on backward relative to her butthole.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6524 on: November 12, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
what-what in the literal front butt

kingv

« Reply #6525 on: November 12, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »
So she wiped back to front! :neo :ohhh

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6526 on: November 12, 2018, 01:21:55 PM »
I...wait. Then wiping poop off could be a nearly orgasmic experience since the clit would become a poop nub.
que

shosta

« Reply #6527 on: November 12, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
That is maybe your worst post ever. Shame on you for writing that.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6528 on: November 12, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
I am disgusted. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6529 on: November 12, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
Driving the shittiest loaner car a mechanic has ever given me. 98 Plymouth Voyager, heat stuck at full blast with one of those heat activated air fresheners, and within the first quarter mile from the mechanic the whole instrument panel went out. Shit better be done tomorrow :punch

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6530 on: November 13, 2018, 12:03:07 PM »
So your mechanic's loaner car is busted? That's be a bit concerning if he can't keep his own cars in working order  :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6531 on: November 13, 2018, 12:12:11 PM »
.....  :'(

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #6532 on: November 13, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »
Your mechanic is probably using your car as a loaner car to the next customer, and then using their car as a loaner car to the customer after that, and on and on until they give you your original car back as a loaner
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6533 on: November 13, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
Its loaners all the way down.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6534 on: November 13, 2018, 01:21:58 PM »
You should take the loaner to another mechanic and see if you can get a better loaner.
©@©™

hampster

« Reply #6535 on: November 13, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »
Trader Joes stopped selling the firm tofu I like :'(

It was nice and cheap too. They replaced with a crummy soft kind.
Zzz

Raist

« Reply #6536 on: November 13, 2018, 06:18:32 PM »
Your mechanic is probably using your car as a loaner car to the next customer, and then using their car as a loaner car to the customer after that, and on and on until they give you your original car back as a loaner

It's the infinite hotel mindfuck all over again  :stahp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6537 on: November 13, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »
Had to read a fucking stupid and gross Arvie post while trying to browse a thread (it was this thread). Along with a fucking gross Puppy follow-up.
Sorry, head canon is forever
- Shosta
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6538 on: November 15, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
Delivery fun #2018:

Had a package that was supposed to come on 11/5 not get delivered by the post office because a signature was required.  Put in a request online to have it redelivered on 11/7.

It never came.  Two days ago I put in a request to hold it at the post office and went by this afternoon.  There was the most helpful, cheerful postal worker I have ever seen working there.  People loved this guy- they actually gave him an ovation.  :lol  I got a much less happy lady who spent 30 minutes trying to find my package.  The other guy takes over and stays super-positive, going "we're not going to try to find it...we will find it" and goes into the back. 

15 minutes later...nothing.  He's not happy anymore and has given up.   :lol  The tracking system also went down at this point.  I felt bad for the guy.  I wasn't even mad in the slightest since I knew this kind of thing was going to happen- My super power is to have deliveries get fucked up.  He took my info and said they'd call me and I wouldn't have to sign for it, but to me this came off as "we lost this shit and this is the best way to get you out the door today."
 :whatsthedeal
ど助平

Raist

« Reply #6539 on: November 15, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »
To be fair, requesting for it to be redelivered 2 months later was a bit much.

:doge
:woody
:ohyou
[close]
[close]
[close]