Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 885266 times)

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2015, 09:21:08 PM »
Just checked my vita and it's at 10%  :'(
dur

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »
I p much go into panic mode and find a charger as soon as my portable electronics drop below 70%

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2015, 01:24:22 AM »
I had to smoke filtered cigarettes. :brazilcry

Tasty

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2015, 01:39:02 AM »
A furry on Twitter favorited one of my ACNL posts.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2015, 01:46:41 AM »
Washing machine's circuit board is busted, to replace it will cost me almost as much as a new washer.

:piss Whirlpool :piss2

Any recommendations for a top-loader for ~$600?
^_^

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2015, 02:14:53 AM »

Why do we still smoke at all  :mindblown

Future gens won't understand it. They will never know the calming and cool sensation of a menthol cigarette.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 02:29:01 AM »
I recently met a 19yo chick who smokes. It kind of blew my mind because I rarely see young people smoking cigs these days.

Cheddahz

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 02:33:21 AM »
I recently met a 19yo chick who smokes. It kind of blew my mind because I rarely see young people smoking cigs these days.
I mean, nobody in the Detroit area can even afford them (besides Big Sean)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2015, 02:42:43 AM »

Future gens won't understand it. They will never know the calming and cool sensation of a menthol cigarette.

You're asking someone whose preferred spirit was last relevant 100 years ago, preferred outdoor activity hasn't fundamentally changed since 1885, and preferred hobby is reading books, why he does something that's outmoded.

Your L is available at will call.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2015, 03:55:11 AM »

You're asking someone whose preferred spirit was last relevant 100 years ago, preferred outdoor activity hasn't fundamentally changed since 1885, and preferred hobby is reading books, why he does something that's outmoded.

Your L is available at will call.

My L's follow me all day every day. :goty One more can't hurt.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 04:19:48 AM »
My visiting mother (who is still hard of hearing despite hearing aids) has determined that her hearing isn't as bad as I think it is. So far I have been unable to think of a polite way of saying that she lacks perspective, because she literally hasn't heard what she's missing AND I'm the one who has to repeat myself several times a day.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
Trying to finish up wiring this arcade cabinet but I can't find my crimping tool :(

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
Washing machine's circuit board is busted, to replace it will cost me almost as much as a new washer.

:piss Whirlpool :piss2

Any recommendations for a top-loader for ~$600?

Same thing that happened to my $800 Bosch. They said it was $500 to replace the board. It lasted 1 year and 6 weeks.

Mowed the lawn for the first time this season.  :shaq2
©ZH

Kara

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2015, 05:11:55 PM »
I was wearing a shirt with a stylized representation of (a young, svelte, debonair) Napoleon on it and he was mistaken for a pirate by someone who yelled, "Arrr!" at me.

Vive l'empereur.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2015, 05:24:44 PM »
I was wearing a shirt with a stylized representation of (a young, svelte, debonair) Napoleon on it and he was mistaken for a pirate by someone who yelled, "Arrr!" at me.

Vive l'empereur. (Image removed from quote.)
RAIDAHS!

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »
so you guys know I often claim that I could write a book about the stupid stuff I see at client sites. I feel people think I'm exaggerating.  Let me give you an example of what happened to me on Friday when I was dropshipped into a ultra high priority meeting last minute. We were having a meeting to go over a deck that was going to present to an executive (which I always find a waste of time to begin with, if they're executives that have to be spoon fed the right decisions, then they shouldn't be executives) and the following happened (these coworkers are a mix of people from my company and the client):

Client 1: "So it will take us 16 man weeks."
Client 2: "Well the executive is a woman, so that might be offensive."
Client 1: "OK, I can change it to Man/Woman weeks"
Client 1: "That wont fit in the cell. We'd have to resize the table"
Client 2: "Person weeks?"
Client 3 (a woman): "No, that seems like we're pandering."
Me: "Fine! Just rename it to Resource weeks."
Client 2: "Resource weeks? What are these people? Oil? Machines? A commodity? No way. That's insensitive"
Me: "Ok. Weeks. Just weeks."
Client 1: "But what kind of 'week'? I mean we're a software company, our week never ends. But we're talking a 5 day week here. 'Weeks' would be misleading"
<proceed to have 20 minute derail about what kind of 'weeks' should be used with no progress whatsoever>
Me: "Look. See that guy? and that guy? and me? We're all billable to you. Given our billable rates per hour and taking into account we've been talking about 'weeks' for 20 minutes and estimating your salaries we've just spent $500 of your companies money about which type of 'weeks' we should use. I personally don't care. If there's confusion around it they could have asked the question and we could have given an answer in 10 seconds. Pick whatever you want, just pick something. We are not adding value here."

5 minutes later they settled on "16 M-F Weeks."
Which personally is probably the most confusing of all the options but whatever.

So no. No I don't exaggerate.
que

Kara

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2015, 08:52:24 PM »
Why not just use hours instead of weeks? :Creepy Stalker

e: Also labor IS a commodity in the capitalist mode of production. :AntonioGramsci:

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
I asked the same thing, and the answer was (I'm not kidding)

"That hours number is over 4 digits. That'll freak them out."

Think that executives from a multi billion dollar company are going to freak out over a 4 digit number brehs

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:12:50 PM by I'm a Puppy! »
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2015, 11:15:36 PM »
Fucking L.A.
que

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2015, 11:19:41 PM »
Do I really want to pay $490 for a new phone?

No the hell I don't  >:(

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2015, 11:33:20 PM »
About a couple of years ago, the terminology switched to "labor hours" or just "hours" officially.

Of course, people, men and women, still use "man hours" often because they have better things to do than quibble over inane terminologies.  They're at the risk of being considered double plus ungood but nobody has actually complained about it yet.
🍆🍆

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2015, 11:33:43 PM »
Told a girl I'd skype sex with her once she got home from the bars. But I'm just going to sleep instead
dur

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:09 PM »
Nurtured GF's self esteem. Now she has too much self respect to make good on those promised threesomes :goty2

dkdk

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2015, 01:35:51 AM »
they got some shitty looking MOBA on my ESPN

eSports :brazilcry

Kara

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2015, 01:39:23 AM »
they got some shitty looking MOBA on my ESPN

eSports :brazilcry

WE IS MAJOR LEAGUE NOW

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2015, 01:43:53 AM »
M-F weeks...sounds like "Monday thru Friday" weeks.
:snoop

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2015, 02:05:45 AM »
MF like Mike Frank Corleone  :rejoice

Vertigo

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2015, 02:51:25 AM »
Nurtured GF's self esteem. Now she has too much self respect to make good on those promised threesomes :goty2

If anything that should have helped things along.

I nurtured my wife's self esteem and we've at last count had 5 threesomes with other women so far.  :rejoice

Kara

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2015, 04:36:35 AM »
Good fucking grief, how many Netflix "Originals" are just taped stand-up routines.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »

I nurtured my wife's self esteem and we've at last count had 5 threesomes with other women so far.  :rejoice
Would you or have you consented to MMF threesomes now? Because fair's fair, and so on.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »
Every time I think we're finally over this gamergate shit some idiot goes out and starts the whole thing up again.
que

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:14 AM »
I was peeing and out came the dreaded three-way stream. What a fucking mess.

Fuck home toilets for being so low to the ground.

I've had 2, but 3?  :holeup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »
It's not even 11AM and I've racked up two Ls. First, The Joker by The Steve Miller Band started blaring at work, and naturally everyone had to sing along/repeat my name.

Later my mom showed up. I had off handedly mentioned I wasn't getting much sleep to her, weeks ago. Well she showed up and gave me a packet of sleepy time tea. Only the front desk people saw her but I'm sure everyone will know the story by the end of the day.
:goty

nudemacusers

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2015, 11:15:19 AM »
lol moms showing up to work

i'm so sorry :brazilcry
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »

Shoulda sat  :hitler

Tasty

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »

Shoulda sat  :hitler

:larry

Vertigo

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »

Would you or have you consented to MMF threesomes now? Because fair's fair, and so on.

It's certainly been discussed, but the missus has always been more into the idea of fun with the ladies, so it's been all been FFM.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2015, 12:25:46 PM »
You lucky dog.

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
There's a somewhat tiny craft beer scene in this city (Germany's like 3 decades late to this party), but it seems like everyone's already fighting with everyone.

There's like 3 relevant beer stores. I work at one of them, mostly for fun. If all I wanted was to earn some money, I wouldn't even bother. Now I could switch to a newer, much more inventive/relevant store, but I know it would just lead to a mess. 90% sure I'd be banned from my current store's/brewery's premises, which I would really dislike.

Fucking hate that even at this size, you really have to work hard to navigate all the politics. This was supposed to be an easy side job while I'm a student, in a field that I love, with lots of fun people around, and now it's turning into a mess.

Kara

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »
It's not even 11AM and I've racked up two Ls. First, The Joker by The Steve Miller Band started blaring at work, and naturally everyone had to sing along/repeat my name.

Later my mom showed up. I had off handedly mentioned I wasn't getting much sleep to her, weeks ago. Well she showed up and gave me a packet of sleepy time tea. Only the front desk people saw her but I'm sure everyone will know the story by the end of the day.

lol your mom loves you

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »

lol your mom loves you

Love begins with an L.
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »
lol nurturing mothers who care :sabu

:brazilcry
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »
Definition of a minor inconvenience that is not a struggle:

Last week I ordered a Moto X direct from Motorola's website instead of through my provider (AT&T) because I wanted one that I couldn't get through the provider- 32 gb in red instead of black. Apparently Motorola fucked something up and had to cancel my order, but only after my payment cleared so now I have $200 stuck in limbo for probably 7-10 business days, and in order to make sure I can get what I want I have to go to a fucking AT&T store and talk to an actual human being, which is disgusting in this, the year of our Lord 2015.
yar

Kara

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »
lol nurturing mothers who care :sabu

:brazilcry

Carry someone in your person for 9 months and then treat them like :trash y'all. :neogaf

studyguy

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:52 PM »
Something I ate last night. Dunno what it is but every couple minutes the rest of this office is gonna smell it.
pause

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2015, 04:19:51 PM »
hey guys here's an actual struggle for you: my job bumped up my pay but took away medical coverage and all but two sick or personal days. can someone break down to my simple ass how badly I lost today?
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »
Time to become a robot.

Kara

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »
I didn't want today to be my cheat day but my friend who's a trained chef left me fresh baked goods and I'll be assed if I let those not remain fresh.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
:fbm pay aside, I really liked my job. I don't wanna look for a new one, but the dream is dead  :gloomy
pcp

Kara

« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
hey guys here's an actual struggle for you: my job bumped up my pay but took away medical coverage and all but two sick or personal days. can someone break down to my simple ass how badly I lost today?

If your raise isn't equal to the cost of your coverage and the earnings you would have been entitled to while sick/vacationing you got smoked.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »

Yes, but I'll need to know numbers. Increased amount of pay, cost of health insurance, how many personal days you had previously, and your rate of pay/day.
yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
let's just say my pay was...low, and now it's a little less low. I had a pretty good amount of vacation days; dunno the exact amount but it was a few weeks. I don't know the exact cost of my coverage, but I'm figuring a few extra thousand a year doesn't make up for it.
pcp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »
let's just say my pay was...low, and now it's a little less low. I had a pretty good amount of vacation days; dunno the exact amount but it was a few weeks. I don't know the exact cost of my coverage, but I'm figuring a few extra thousand a year doesn't make up for it.

Almost certainly not; an average Silver plan on the exchanges runs $300ish/month, minus any subsidies you qualify for, which will probably be low to non-existent I'm guessing.

Re: your vacation days, see if you still have any left from your previous arrangement. I think they'd have to pay those out or still let you use them.
yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
yeah I'll get paid out for my old vacation days which is cool, but in the future it'll just mean that getting sick = losing money
pcp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »
yeah I'll get paid out for my old vacation days which is cool, but in the future it'll just mean that getting sick = losing money

Yeah, it sucks. Also you will lose money going on vacation, etc. I live that struggle as an independent contractor. :-/
yar

Kara

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
From the limited knowledge I have, it doesn't seem accurate to use an unsubsidized premium figure for the purposes of determining how screwed Jimbo got.

:expert

HOWEVER, it is worth factoring in the cost of the time it will take to get insurance, deal with any billing hiccups, and finding any new doctors / specialists.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2015, 06:09:02 PM »
From the limited knowledge I have, it doesn't seem accurate to use an unsubsidized premium figure for the purposes of determining how screwed Jimbo got.

:expert

HOWEVER, it is worth factoring in the cost of the time it will take to get insurance, deal with any billing hiccups, and finding any new doctors / specialists.

Sadly I think Jumbo is gonna have to factor his wife's income in, so he's probably screwed on subsidies. Get divorced, buddy! (half serious)
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2015, 06:09:59 PM »
I was watching College Women's Softball at lunch, which is already a triple-threat of struggle (watching college sports, watching women's sports, watching softball), when this girl came up to bat that was straight up named Nychole, like that was a real name.

I googled Nychole, and the first hit is a pornstar and the second hit is her.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »
WCWS :noah :lawd

Kara

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »
Mechanic finished working on my (outdated) race bike and made adjustments to it for comfort instead of performance. Now I'm going to have to remove like 2 screws and switch around 3 spacers to undo the damage. :goty