Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535994 times)

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #1920 on: February 18, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
Can't do cool like like snap chat the beer I'm drinking at lunch since my boss now follows me

That gets old when you're like 23. Nobody cares, even you boss, trust me.

I should hope not, he was buying
dur

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1921 on: February 19, 2016, 01:11:52 AM »
So work has shifted my work role from more of delivery and management to more sales. My company needs me to do this role, I get that. But I hate it. I. hate. it.
I know how to manage people, I know how to manage projects, I know how to build, I know how to negotiate what's needed, I know how to lead. But this sales stuff? I hate all of it. I don't like things that are beyond my control, and nearly everything in sales is beyond your control. A client decides to do something internally? Nothing you can do. They decide to start next quarter instead of this quarter? Nothing you can do. They don't get back to you for weeks? Nothing you can do. They, for some silly reason don't like you? You're fucked, and there's also practically nothing you can do. When I was managing a team, something goes wrong I know the levers to pull to fix it. Someone doesn't return my call? They're fired. Etc, etc. I've been around the block long enough to know that there's growing pains in every new position as you flex muscels you haven't used before. But, this seems to me to be beyond growing pains to just being something I really don't like. I didn't mind it when it was a deal or two here and there, but 100% all this? No thanks. I'm somewhat torn, my company needs this to be done, and really I'm the only one that makes sense to do it, so I can't really say, "Hey, I hate this, let someone else do this." and I'd rather not leave my company to leave the role. But I don't know if this is going to work.
que

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1922 on: February 19, 2016, 05:30:43 AM »
Yea I'm not built for sales. I barely enjoy meeting with clients at all, imagine having to do it all the time and constantly be blindsided by "thanks but we decided to do x instead."

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1923 on: February 19, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »
I could barely get to the bathroom due to joint pain this morning and when I got there, I was coughing up bloody sputum.  :( Doctor believes that I have a viral chest infection and so the only types of support are pain/cough medicines. Amazingly, I am now more or less functional.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1924 on: February 19, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »
get well dude.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1925 on: February 19, 2016, 09:18:16 PM »
It turns out I have probably given/gotten it from my lady friend a few days ago. :doge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1926 on: February 20, 2016, 02:01:57 AM »
Nice. Now gift it to a third person, you gotta carry on.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1927 on: February 20, 2016, 03:05:15 AM »
It turns out I have probably given/gotten it from my lady friend a few days ago. :doge

Wow nice humblebrag, breh. Some of us can only wish we were bleeding out of various orifices because we were with a girl.
©@©™

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1928 on: February 20, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
Got super wasted. Hit up my ex-gf on facebook. I haven't talked to her in nearly four years after dumping her. Tried to get her to come over so I could hit it. Failed. This took place between 3AM and 4AM. Never opening up facebook messenger again so that I never have to spent a fragment of a second reading the shit I sent her. I am a broken man.  :clap

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1929 on: February 20, 2016, 03:30:29 PM »
Please also note that the girl I love broke my heart and I am suffering.  :(

« Reply #1930 on: February 20, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
Stay strong, king of the internet.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1931 on: February 21, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »
So work has shifted my work role from more of delivery and management to more sales. My company needs me to do this role, I get that. But I hate it. I. hate. it.
I know how to manage people, I know how to manage projects, I know how to build, I know how to negotiate what's needed, I know how to lead. But this sales stuff? I hate all of it. I don't like things that are beyond my control, and nearly everything in sales is beyond your control. A client decides to do something internally? Nothing you can do. They decide to start next quarter instead of this quarter? Nothing you can do. They don't get back to you for weeks? Nothing you can do. They, for some silly reason don't like you? You're fucked, and there's also practically nothing you can do. When I was managing a team, something goes wrong I know the levers to pull to fix it. Someone doesn't return my call? They're fired. Etc, etc. I've been around the block long enough to know that there's growing pains in every new position as you flex muscels you haven't used before. But, this seems to me to be beyond growing pains to just being something I really don't like. I didn't mind it when it was a deal or two here and there, but 100% all this? No thanks. I'm somewhat torn, my company needs this to be done, and really I'm the only one that makes sense to do it, so I can't really say, "Hey, I hate this, let someone else do this." and I'd rather not leave my company to leave the role. But I don't know if this is going to work.

If sales isn't for you, then inevitably your work overall is going to suffer.  If your overall work begins suffering, then your reputation takes a hit if you're well known in your industry (I assume you are some kind of project manager or consultant).
🍆🍆

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1932 on: February 21, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »
yeah it's a mixed bag. I'm closing deals and making contacts. If anything my reputation has gotten better. But secretly I just hate it all.
Luckily it's just early in this process and I already see what you're talking about. While I'm doing OK for right now, eventually it's going to get bad, I just need to find a way to get out somehow.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1933 on: February 21, 2016, 03:24:45 PM »

If sales isn't for you, then inevitably your work overall is going to suffer.  If your overall work begins suffering, then your reputation takes a hit if you're well known in your industry (I assume you are some kind of project manager or consultant).

Yeah, definitely.

Puppy, does your boss and/or boss' boss know that you're not only unhappy in your new role, but that you have no interest in it?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1934 on: February 21, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »
Oh he knows. But he's like "You'll learn to like it." And also he's also said that if I don't do it he'd have to shut down that line of business because he doesn't have anyone else that can do that, and the role is not really one you can hire. Granted I've only been at it for about 4 months, so everyone's like "It's just growing pains. Don't worry."
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1935 on: February 21, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
Lost 4 games in a row in Rocket League.  Such a real struggle today. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1936 on: February 21, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »
Ate Taco Bell and watched Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke while stone sober.
©@©™

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1937 on: February 21, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Not one of the four fucking turntables I own work and neither does the replacement I bought off amazon. I am so fucking frustrated. Why can't shit just fucking work as described, fuck

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1938 on: February 21, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
Did they all break at once? Have they been in storage? I don't understand how that is possible and also some sort of surprise. 

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1939 on: February 21, 2016, 10:51:37 PM »
I had been using a decent older Bose player before the belt wore out, so I swapped in one of my Numarks since I haven't done anything DJ related in years. That one just started to 'wobble' the pitch, and I discovered today that the other Numarks tone arm is broken. The last one just doesn't seem to be getting power, but it's got a pretty garbage cartridge anyway.

The Numarks shitting the bed was kind of a surprise, but I'm more annoyed by buying something new that just flat out doesn't work. Now I have to wait til Wednesday to play this Barter 6 lp >:(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1940 on: February 22, 2016, 02:21:28 AM »
Oh he knows. But he's like "You'll learn to like it." And also he's also said that if I don't do it he'd have to shut down that line of business because he doesn't have anyone else that can do that, and the role is not really one you can hire. Granted I've only been at it for about 4 months, so everyone's like "It's just growing pains. Don't worry."
Yeah, that's a load of bullshit for your boss to be that way. If you don't like it, if it doesn't interest you, you're going to leave. You'll either check out formally by quitting, or you'll be less effective because you're not engaged or allowed to self-actualize. It may be a good idea to start looking around for other options. Sorry you're having a bad time of it.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1941 on: February 22, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »
Ate an entire box of thin mints today.

Fuck you girl scouts.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1942 on: February 23, 2016, 02:07:26 AM »
Yeah, that's a load of bullshit for your boss to be that way. If you don't like it, if it doesn't interest you, you're going to leave. You'll either check out formally by quitting, or you'll be less effective because you're not engaged or allowed to self-actualize. It may be a good idea to start looking around for other options. Sorry you're having a bad time of it.
Yeah, I'm dusting off the old CV.
this week I'm doing some good ol' delivery work. So that's good. But yeah, I should probably start getting serious about looking.
que

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1943 on: February 23, 2016, 03:25:32 AM »

The only time in sales where you don't feel growing pains is when you are on track to hit that target and get a bonus.

The lows can be very low and the highs are high.

I've been kind of demoted in my role (after being in a way too senior role to begin with), but they changed my comp plan and I actually get way more money now, was ready to quit, but this is working quite well now, at least this quarter  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #1944 on: February 23, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »
I didn't think there was such thing as "bad tea" but I randomly grabbed some lemongrass citrus green tea at the market and not only does it smell disgusting, it tastes just as bad  :-X

gross

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1945 on: February 23, 2016, 03:49:59 PM »
There were free meat pies in the lab today and I accidentally picked a vegetarian one.  I wish I were dead. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1946 on: February 23, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
I've had plenty of free meat pies in my day :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1947 on: February 23, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »
What your mom gives you doesn't count.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1948 on: February 24, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »
Installed a python package from github and it blew up my entire python environment.  Took 2 days to figure out and I ended up having to nuke all my python modules and reinstall.  FUCK THIS SHIT.   

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1949 on: February 24, 2016, 09:28:13 PM »
gitgud
©@©™

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1950 on: February 24, 2016, 09:35:02 PM »
Noticed my hair line has been receding and my hair is thinning out. Isn't bad yet, but I definitely notice differences compared to a year or two ago. Preparing myself mentally for a devito, larry david, or just shaving it all off. Luckily I have facial hair, so I won't be completely nude on my head.

OH!

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1951 on: February 26, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »

fuck
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1952 on: February 26, 2016, 03:47:46 PM »
That sucks.  :(

What hit you?
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1953 on: February 26, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »
At least you weren't drunk.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Right?
[close]

I'm sorry.
[close]

But not very sorry.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1954 on: February 26, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »
Fuck it I'm buying cookies today. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1955 on: February 26, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »
arvie :dead

that sucks BN sorry to see. I'm kinda surprised I've only been in one mini accident, and it didn't do any external damage.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1956 on: February 26, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
That sucks.  :(

What hit you?

It totally looks like he was at fault tho.  :doge

You'll be 'kay BK. Doesn't look like the frame or anything powertrain related got damaged so just chillax and then rev the nuts off a rental for a few days.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1957 on: February 27, 2016, 12:31:20 AM »
I was at fault yeah.  Dude in front slammed his brakes so I had to as well but I did it too late and had to swerve a bit.  Oh well.

No I wasn't drunk doofus.  I haven't gotten behind the wheel after having even one beer in five months
püp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1958 on: February 27, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »
Sorry BN. One valuable thing I've learned on a bike is spacing. I don't know why people like to drive so close together. 

« Reply #1959 on: February 27, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »
One thing I've learned over my 15 years of driving, numerous professional driving courses such as the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, the State Department's Personal Security Detail driving course, and multiple military driving courses: driving is dangerous. Anyone can say after an accident, "You should have done X," but with the amount of driving Americans do (something like 16,000 hours over the course of a lifetime), accidents are bound to happen. I hope you're not hurt and I wish you better luck in the future.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1960 on: February 28, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »
For clarity I wasn't saying he should have done something different since he didn't really provide enough specifics. Just stating an observation that I've made that came to mind from his situation. People like to drive really close together and I don't understand why.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1961 on: February 28, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
For clarity I wasn't saying he should have done something different since he didn't really provide enough specifics. Just stating an observation that I've made that came to mind from his situation. People like to drive really close together and I don't understand why.

Well you ride bikes so I'm guessing you are a lot more careful when it comes to braking distances. In my first car (also a Mazda lol) my brakes locked up on the highway and I bumped the trailer hitch of the SUV ahead of me. I got VERY lucky and only had a dent on my license plate while he had no damage at all but you know like most people, I only learned how much your speed/distance/etc matters by getting into an accident.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1962 on: February 28, 2016, 04:33:05 PM »
Yeah. It's not covered very well in basic driving courses so no one realizes how far it takes to stop at a decent speed. My first car was also a Mazda by the way. A 1998 Mazda 626! That damn thing was awesome.

studyguy

« Reply #1963 on: February 29, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
My girl had two of her teeth crack due to an accident a while back, had to have a bridge installed. They just finished it and she's freaking out about it since it was two of the teeth you see facing forward when you smile and she thinks it looks awful. I think it looks fine but damn, you'd think someone just died with how she reacted to it. She's not having it, guess she's going back to see if they can have anything done.  :-\
pause

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1964 on: February 29, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
My girl had two of her teeth crack due to an accident a while back, had to have a bridge installed. They just finished it and she's freaking out about it since it was two of the teeth you see facing forward when you smile and she thinks it looks awful. I think it looks fine but damn, you'd think someone just died with how she reacted to it. She's not having it, guess she's going back to see if they can have anything done.  :-\

time to start saving for implants

studyguy

« Reply #1965 on: February 29, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »

Time to go to Mexico I guess...
pause

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1966 on: February 29, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »

Breast implants, to make sure no one's looking at her face.  :phil
©@©™

studyguy

« Reply #1967 on: February 29, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
 ??? :o So my ass is at work, I guess she hit the dentistry back up a fucking wreck crying or something.
Dentist is checking the lab to have them remake the bridge with something closer to her original imprints, dude is eating the cost of it.
I'm legit surprised and grateful as a motherfucker right now. Dude's a nice old guy with his small practice who told her beforehand not to be worried since she was nervous as fuck about having to get two teeth removed.

fuck  :rejoice
pause

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1968 on: February 29, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »
Better give him something nice, like a toothless blow job. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1969 on: February 29, 2016, 07:34:32 PM »
Watching more mass layoffs take place at my company  :-\

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1970 on: March 01, 2016, 03:02:49 AM »
3am im drunk and I hate my life.  went down like 6 rankrs in rocket league today. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1971 on: March 01, 2016, 09:17:25 AM »

I saw the news and was hoping you weren't affected. Good luck to you.
©ZH

Mods Help

« Reply #1972 on: March 01, 2016, 04:04:14 PM »

thankfully you're good

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:41:17 PM by Mods Help »

Mods Help

« Reply #1973 on: March 01, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »
wrong thread

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1974 on: March 01, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »
Tell your dad Trump's not going to win. In the meantime, save as much money as possible and make the decision to emigrate when you want.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1975 on: March 01, 2016, 04:59:02 PM »
How did he fuck you? 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

studyguy

« Reply #1977 on: March 02, 2016, 01:04:31 AM »
Better give him something nice, like a toothless blow job.

I settled on a handy, I'm considering spitting on my hand to boot. Least I could do in gratitude.   :PP
pause

studyguy

« Reply #1978 on: March 02, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »
Fuck my girl's teeth new struggle.

Supposed to fly out to Colorado on Friday to snowboard till Sunday. Apparently the dude in charge of booking shit for the crew was like... lmao forgot. So we're scrambling to find lodging and I guess we're paying regular price for tickets since no one bothered to decide what mountains we were hitting till today. Fuck  :lol
pause

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1979 on: March 06, 2016, 11:15:53 PM »
what did you do
WDW