Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535293 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #2100 on: April 18, 2016, 08:23:57 AM »
There's thunderstorms and flooding all around Houston today.  My job uses an emergency alert system that will text you, call you and email you if facilities close or anything else happens.  I woke up at 4am and hadn't received anything.  Left home at 5:20 and still hadn't received anything. 

I made it about 200 ft from my job relatively unscathed, just soaking wet which I can handle.  Then right before the turn off to my job I run into some really high water.  I couldn't see shit and my bike shut off.  I managed to coast across the gigantic puddle sitting in the middle of the 6 lane road.  I got my bike started again and putted into the parking garage.

And right at that time I got a text from my job saying that work was delayed 4 hours.  SEND THAT SHIT BEFORE PEOPLE ACTUALLY LEAVE FOR WORK!  6am is the regular start of the day for most of the company.  Why would you send that shit at 6:15?!?!

And there's still the trip home to think about it....

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2101 on: April 18, 2016, 10:06:24 AM »
I miss being a college kid when any type of weather delay: entire day cancelled.
:tocry

We had a terrible wind storm last year that forced us to cancel work due to lost electricity, but we had already worked half the day before it happened.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2102 on: April 18, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
I miss being a college kid when any type of weather delay: entire day cancelled.

We had a terrible wind storm last year that forced us to cancel work due to lost electricity, but we had already worked half the day before it happened.
They just sent out an alert saying all facilities are closed for the entire day because of flooding.  Nice for the people already here.  I live 53 miles away and every major highway is closed and I'll be god-fucking-damned if I try to go back road routes in flooding weather.  So I'm stuck at work.

Oh and I went to work out and there was no fucking hot water in the showers.  Fuck me.  What a day.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #2103 on: April 18, 2016, 10:27:39 AM »

They just sent out an alert saying all facilities are closed for the entire day because of flooding.  Nice for the people already here.  I live 53 miles away and every major highway is closed and I'll be god-fucking-damned if I try to go back road routes in flooding weather.  So I'm stuck at work.

Oh and I went to work out and there was no fucking hot water in the showers.  Fuck me.  What a day.

They should cover a hotel stay due to bad weather I'm assuming. Is there on nearby and if so you should book it now.
YMMV

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2104 on: April 18, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
Yeah.  Lots around since we are right near the airport.  But that ain't happening at my pay band in this market.

edit: #wagecuck

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2105 on: April 18, 2016, 10:32:14 AM »
Yeah.  Lots around since we are right near the airport.  But that ain't happening at my pay band in this market.

edit: #wagecuck

You sure there isn't a regulation that covers that? There is for snow events in Ohio, but we are pretty badass snow drivers so its rarely used.

Also make sure your bike is on the highest covered level of your parking garage just in case.
YMMV

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2106 on: April 18, 2016, 10:37:27 AM »
Not sure about the regulation but Texas isn't really a state that tends to cover the workers.  And yeah, I moved my bike up to the highest area.  Thanks bro.  I hope she actually starts.  I found a route home via Google Maps but it requires taking service roads and a small highway but I'm not sure I have confidence in that.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2107 on: April 18, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »
Not sure about the regulation but Texas isn't really a state that tends to cover the workers.  And yeah, I moved my bike up to the highest area.  Thanks bro.  I hope she actually starts.  I found a route home via Google Maps but it requires taking service roads and a small highway but I'm not sure I have confidence in that.

Uh

YMMV

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2108 on: April 18, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
That looks like the area around my MIL.  My family has been sending pictures. 

Does anyone remember that MJ video Speed Demon?  He has a Harley that turns into a jet ski.  I need that right now.

studyguy

« Reply #2109 on: April 18, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
Launched off of a minibowl and ended up just completely and utterly bailing out on my right side like an idiot. Like I turned my hip to powder.  :-\
Fuck I had my flask full of whiskey and I just downed the shit in hopes of easing the pain to come, sitting here at work now and half of my body is just like nah breh fuck you. Probably gonna schedule a doctor visit, for real this shit sucks. God damn.

I thought I had that jump ahdufd
 :stahp
pause

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2110 on: April 18, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »

Does anyone remember that MJ video Speed Demon?  He has a Harley that turns into a jet ski.  I need that right now.

at least you aren't this level of a jackass

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-annoyed-reporter-rescue-a-man-from-a-sinking-1771566501

Idiot
YMMV

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2111 on: April 18, 2016, 01:14:41 PM »
I was 40mins late to a final exam today.  The twist?  I was the one suppose to invigilating it. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2112 on: April 18, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »

at least you aren't this level of a jackass

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-annoyed-reporter-rescue-a-man-from-a-sinking-1771566501

Idiot
Goddamn. I don't understand people. I ended up making it home though. Whew. Time to nap

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2113 on: April 18, 2016, 02:25:02 PM »
I was 40mins late to a final exam today.  The twist?  I was the one suppose to invigilating it. 

Were you too busy invigilating yourself?
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2114 on: April 18, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »
Nah resting my eyes turned into a 2 hour nap.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2115 on: April 20, 2016, 12:52:06 PM »
Had an interview last week that went amazingly well.  Walked out feeling great-- totally vibed with the guy.

They called me back in for another interview this week.  This time it was three people and I was being 'grilled' with technical questions that were somewhat difficult to answer, due to nerves and not knowing what their resources/policies are.  :gloomy  Am hoping that things went better than I expected, though-- the interview was supposed to be 30 minutes long and it did go over by a good 10-15 minutes, which I think is a good sign. 

I just have bad luck in general with this stuff, though.  Sometimes I wonder if I jinx myself by posting about it.  :doge  Interviews are definitely a weak point for me. 

But then at my own job, the last interview I had -for another promotion- was perhaps the best one I ever had.  I aced it and walked out feeling like I'd kicked all kinds of ass.  And I did, too-- I was told they were completely blown away. 

I didn't get the position.  Why? I changed my nick name in the inter-office chat room. Something literally everyone did.  And suddenly this was a "security violation" and no one is allowed to do it anymore.  This is harmless shit that has gone on ever since I started working here in 2010. 
:dead

Can't help but feel like this was an excuse.  :-\  So now they're about to make all people in my position switch to four day, 10 hour workdays.  That's not that bad...except they want me to work a late schedule.  Am not looking forward to this and this is what prompted me to finally start seeing about moving on.   Actually the interview I just had came from a former co-worker recommending me.  He asked if I was interested on the same day they told me I wasn't getting promoted.  Took that as a sign to go for it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:56:31 PM by funky action »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2116 on: April 20, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
Changing nicknames all the time coming back to bite ya'll in the ass irl.
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2117 on: April 20, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
Best of luck. Bad schedules can really screw with your well-being.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2118 on: April 20, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »

:lol
©ZH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2119 on: April 20, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »

One of my friends who also knows me on boards said the same thing.  :lol

Best of luck. Bad schedules can really screw with your well-being.

Well...it may not happen.  I was speaking with my boss today and she flat-out said that I'm too valuable for daytime stuff to be stuck with a late schedule and she's gonna re-evaluate the schedule plans.  And of course, what I wanted to say back was "THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU PROMOTE ME?!?"  :doge
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2120 on: April 20, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
Well then go back there and ask them that. Or at least after the new place gives you an offer (hopefully) then walk in there all high and mighty. But you have to pressure them.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2121 on: April 20, 2016, 08:40:21 PM »
I'm on a 4 day, 10 hour schedule. It's pretty chill. Today's my first day of 3 days off. It's 8:40 PM and I haven't even changed out of the clothes I slept in yet.
WDW

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2122 on: April 20, 2016, 10:58:48 PM »
Well then go back there and ask them that. Or at least after the new place gives you an offer (hopefully) then walk in there all high and mighty. But you have to pressure them.

I tried to, but was pretty much told "NO, THIS WAS A BIG DEAL AND A POTENTIAL SECURITY VIOLATION ( :doge)" and glossed over real quick.  At the time, my boss was sitting with her equivalent from our other office, however, and I think that had something to do with her response.  Let me also note that my boss, while a very nice lady and generally likeable person, is still pretty new and knows very little about our software.  She did not understand the chat program at all and when I tried to explain how it would be impossible for someone to say, change their nickname to hers and tell someone else that they were fired (her example), this went nowhere. 

I'm not angry at her.  I believe that she really likes me and even feels bad about what happened...hence her telling me that she wants to re-evaluate the schedules more than once.  To be honest, I didn't even care about the pay raise that would have come from this promotion.  It's very small and I've been at this company for so long that I'm about to hit the highest salary level that they pay anyway.  I wanted it for the M-F schedule, morning to afternoon schedule.  Basically the hours I had before I got into the whole manager thing.

I actually wonder if what really happened was just them looking at scheduling and staffing and deciding to keep me where I was because I'm more flexible than others are.  Ditto for her telling me about the schedules being re-evaluated.  She flat-out told me that they didn't promote more people because nobody was qualified.  I can believe this.  But I can also believe that they just didn't want to pay anyone more and told her to use the people she has. 

There's nothing to keep me there at this point.  If I get an offer, I'm taking it.  But if I'm stuck there for a while longer...it's nice to know that I may end up with a better schedule or will get to keep what I have now. 

I'm on a 4 day, 10 hour schedule. It's pretty chill. Today's my first day of 3 days off. It's 8:40 PM and I haven't even changed out of the clothes I slept in yet.

I probably wouldn't be so opposed to it if I worked from the early morning to say, 6:00 PM or so.  But the proposed schedule for me was 1:00 PM to 11:30 PM, which I honestly just despise.
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2123 on: April 20, 2016, 11:04:31 PM »
Sounds like you got the runaround.  In my experience, if they really want you, they will do whatever it takes to get you in the position.
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2124 on: May 02, 2016, 12:31:15 PM »
Didn't get the position.  :gloomy  Was told "We really liked you and want to keep in touch", but who knows if that really means anything.

Actually what concerns me more right now is that the bitch-manager who harassed me a few months ago is rumored to be in line for a promotion to a supervisory role.
:dead

The guy who told me this said he'd be quitting on the spot if true.   :lol  The one good thing I can say about this is that I'd probably get her spot as a manager if it happens, but I sure as hell would not want her as a "boss."  However, the guy who had that role before was told not to interact with managers and staff after the new boss came along, so if that happened with her, I guess I'd be fine with it.

I still feel like I gotta get the hell out of there though.  The big problem now is that I've used up a ton of PTO and don't really have anything left to try to go on more interviews.  Might have to give it a rest for a few months until I get more.   :-\
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2125 on: May 05, 2016, 10:21:47 AM »
I'm sorry, Esch :(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2126 on: May 05, 2016, 10:22:30 AM »
Sorry dude, hope you and your dad are OK.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2127 on: May 05, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
that sucks. I'm sorry man. :(
que

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2128 on: May 05, 2016, 10:58:39 AM »
Sorry to hear that Esch.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2129 on: May 05, 2016, 11:51:01 AM »
My condolences Esch.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2130 on: May 05, 2016, 01:20:03 PM »
My condolences. 
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2131 on: May 05, 2016, 07:18:42 PM »
Sad for you, Esch.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2132 on: May 08, 2016, 01:12:31 AM »
sorry esch

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2133 on: May 10, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
Our 9 years old cat just died a couple hours ago. Cardiac arrest. Not totally unexpected, the condition was suspected and not curable (maybe slowed down) but not confirmed yet. It was sudden and thankfully short.

We're gonna miss the sweet fat fucker  :fbm
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2134 on: May 10, 2016, 12:14:40 PM »
Sorry dude

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2135 on: May 10, 2016, 12:20:59 PM »
Sorry VK.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2136 on: May 11, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »
I just tripped a blind person.  In my defense, he shouldn't have tried to wack me with a stick. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2137 on: May 11, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »
Took half the day off work today to take my car to the shop. Yesterday evening my brakes went completely out. I was in a CVS parking lot when it happened. Managed to drive around pretty well without bakes and then drove to the repair place today. Driving without brakes is a lot easier than I expected.
 :jawalrus

I've been chilling at a library that's close-ish to the repair shop waiting for them to finish. I'm the youngest person here. Lots of old people here reading books or taking computer classes. Amazing that a lot of kids today will probably never visit a public library
:snoop

Kara

« Reply #2138 on: May 11, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
The library in the city I grew up in was big with kids, but it was near a few schools and across the street from a police station.

White folks can really master plan. :whew

bluemax

« Reply #2139 on: May 12, 2016, 01:17:26 AM »
Got invited to friend's birthday party at beach this weekend.

Girl I hooked up with and never called or texted cause I decided I didn't see relationship potential is going.

Never had to deal with this before, think I might just skip because I'm lame.
NO

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #2140 on: May 12, 2016, 02:32:17 AM »
Just go and act like she doesn't exist. Problem solved.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2141 on: May 12, 2016, 07:38:19 AM »
My dad - who has been living unemployed with my brother and his wife for the last 5+ years - just dropped a bomb on the family last night via Facebook messages that he's moving to Ohio on Friday with some woman he knew when he was younger.

Proceeded to have my phone blowing up by everyone. Sister is livid, mom is indifferent like she always is, brother isn't sure what to think. Really hard to process it since it's all so sudden.
nat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2142 on: May 12, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »
Be glad he's out of your brother's hair.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:14:15 AM by Rufus »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2143 on: May 13, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »
True - though my brother and his wife just started fostering some children so the view is that he's basically cutting and running when things got difficult. Something my sister spent a good amount of time yelling about when we talked about it.

That plus, my dad being in Ohio basically means I'll rarely - if ever - get to see him. Less so than I would now being in NYC. I at least intended to drive back home once or twice in the summer and see everyone. With him in Ohio, I have to dedicate time to only seeing my dad instead of seeing everyone else. And to expect him to get on a train or drive himself back? I know him, he's not going to happen.

It's a shitty situation all around.
nat

Kara

« Reply #2144 on: May 13, 2016, 11:10:24 PM »
I hit a dog with my bike tonight (technically I guess I just kicked it at ~25 km per hour since I managed to swerve at the last second and just connect with my foot while clipped in instead of chewing it to bits in my bladed spokes or my crankset).

This is the kind of fucking bullshit Arvie does, not me. :stahp

Fucking kill me.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2145 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:05 PM »
I hit a dog with my bike tonight (technically I guess I just kicked it at ~25 km per hour since I managed to swerve at the last second and just connect with my foot while clipped in instead of chewing it to bits in my bladed spokes or my crankset).

This is the kind of fucking bullshit Arvie does, not me. :stahp

Fucking kill me.

Is it dead?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2146 on: May 13, 2016, 11:37:44 PM »
ah I'd never hurt an animal - not even by accident.  You're on your own with this one puppy murder. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2147 on: May 13, 2016, 11:46:49 PM »
Yeah, Arvie might kidnap and gut a hooker, but a dog? He's not a monster

Kara

« Reply #2148 on: May 14, 2016, 12:42:24 AM »
It's fine and its owner didn't want my information so I'm going to assume it died of internal bleeding later tonight for the rest of my life. :doge

« Reply #2149 on: May 14, 2016, 01:02:42 AM »
ah I'd never hurt an animal - not even by accident.  You're on your own with this one puppy murder. 

Your dog, who is soaking up all your disabling anxiety like a sponge, might disagree.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2150 on: May 14, 2016, 02:17:37 AM »
You can't even kill a dog kara.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2151 on: May 14, 2016, 02:23:49 AM »
Our 9 years old cat just died a couple hours ago. Cardiac arrest. Not totally unexpected, the condition was suspected and not curable (maybe slowed down) but not confirmed yet. It was sudden and thankfully short.

We're gonna miss the sweet fat fucker  :fbm

Sorry to hear that. Losing pets is harder than losing certain relatives.

Kara

« Reply #2152 on: May 14, 2016, 02:44:43 AM »
You can't even kill a dog kara.

I killed that dog and I'm a monster. :bolo

Ugh... I fucking hate failing. Like not at being a human being I accept that, but fucking shit like this.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #2153 on: May 14, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »
Everything you touch turns to shit.  :ufup
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Am I helping?  :-[
[close]

Kara

« Reply #2154 on: May 14, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »
Thank you, I'm glad someone here at least cares enough about me to give it to me straight.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2155 on: May 14, 2016, 04:35:28 PM »
I can't give it to you straight, mine curves to the left. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2156 on: May 14, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
Laundry room sink clogged to shit. Spent a couple hours trying to unclog it manually before deciding to get some Drano lol. Not we wait....

If this doesn't work fuck...I don't want to have to use one of those snake things :brazilcry

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2157 on: May 14, 2016, 07:30:41 PM »
Fixed it :lawd

The Drano did half the job. I finished it by creating my own snake by combining electrical wire and a wire hanger. Stuck that shit into the pipe, snaked around for 10-15 minutes, then put everything back together. Drain is working now
:rejoice

better learn how to do basic DIY house shit brehs
 :ufup

Tasty

« Reply #2158 on: May 14, 2016, 09:26:49 PM »
Thank you, I'm glad someone here at least cares enough about me to give it to me straight.

I'll give it to you, but it won't be straight. :cody

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2159 on: May 14, 2016, 11:15:27 PM »
Fixed it :lawd

The Drano did half the job. I finished it by creating my own snake by combining electrical wire and a wire hanger. Stuck that shit into the pipe, snaked around for 10-15 minutes, then put everything back together. Drain is working now
:rejoice

better learn how to do basic DIY house shit brehs
 :ufup
A wire hanger is my go to for a clogged drain. Put a slight hook at the end and I've never needed anything else.