Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535053 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #2340 on: June 17, 2016, 12:11:33 AM »
Jeeze, man. Who hurt you?   :badass

All this macho shit comes off as if you're trying to cover up some deep seated emotional pain.  :doge

Nah, those were called spankings.

That's why my generation owns houses and shit. While yours posts dating failures and cat pics.
YMMV

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2341 on: June 17, 2016, 12:28:25 AM »
Drunk AIA is best AIA.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2342 on: June 17, 2016, 12:34:13 AM »
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if people like AIA took acid or smoked DMT. :hitler

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2343 on: June 17, 2016, 09:51:40 AM »
Ah darn... Just got news that my Grandpa passed away today in his sleep. 88 years in this world.

And apparently his last words were, "I'm going to go on a long journey" before he went to sleep. 

Also, an interesting tidbit: I was named after him and my birthday is tomorrow. I'm not one to get all woo-woo but synchronicities like that fascinate me.

Anyways, RIP.  :(

RIP, my condolences.

And in an odd (kind of) coincidence, my grandfather also died in his sleep last year...on my birthday.
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2344 on: June 17, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
Sorry, Pallando :(

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2345 on: June 17, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
I've been making extra payments on my motorcycle ever since I got it.  I never did the math or created an amortization schedule (sorry, Kara) to figure out how those extra payments affected the balance.  So today I decide to take a look at a few invoices and I have no idea what the fuck the lender is doing.  The amount paid and the amount due stay consistent but the amounts applied to interest and payments is completely inconsistent.  It fluctuates - up and down - by different amounts every month.  There is no fucking pattern.  So then I also can't recreate the math between my original amortization schedule, the principal they say is remaining and the difference between them. 

I spent my entire lunch trying to figure out.  And if that wasn't enough of a struggle I'm going to have to call and I'm sure I'll get someone who will not be able to accurately explain how they apply these payments.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2346 on: June 17, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »
If I had to venture a guess, it sounds like they're using the extra amount paid to pay you ahead, which means that instead of applying the excess payment to your principal it's applied to your next amount due instead.

I can understand not wanting to recalculate an amortization schedule every time a borrower overpays, but it's a scuzzy way of maximizing interest when it's chronically done.

Tasty

« Reply #2347 on: June 17, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »
Made a bet at work that I'd go two weeks without drinking. I took it mostly cause I wanted to see if I can.

If I can't...

Gonna be rough getting through our company softball games.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #2348 on: June 17, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
I just did 40 days and 40 nights without drinking. Before that I was downing a fifth or more of high-end liquor a day, for months.

I did take up smoking Swisher Sweet Special Editions and White Owl Very Berry cigars with tobacco still in them during that time. Tobacco is worse than heroin, kids.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:08:24 PM by T234 »
UK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2349 on: June 17, 2016, 05:03:52 PM »
If I had to venture a guess, it sounds like they're using the extra amount paid to pay you ahead, which means that instead of applying the excess payment to your principal it's applied to your next amount due instead.

I can understand not wanting to recalculate an amortization schedule every time a borrower overpays, but it's a scuzzy way of maximizing interest when it's chronically done.
I think that is what they're doing, but all things consistent shouldn't the interest amount still be consistently decreasing with each payment posted?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2350 on: June 17, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »
I just ate like a pound of spicy lamb curry and followed it up with like a quart of coffee :(. I have to see John Carpenter in a few hours, but I foresee potential frequent bathroom visits and bowel evacuations.
serge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2351 on: June 17, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »
I just did 40 days and 40 nights without drinking. Before that I was downing a fifth or more of high-end liquor a day, for months.

I did take up smoking Swisher Sweet Special Editions and White Owl Very Berry cigars with tobacco still in them during that time. Tobacco is worse than heroin, kids.

literally the first time i've ever seen someone say they've smoked swishers or white owls that aren't blunts

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2352 on: June 17, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
I used to smoke backwoods occasionally :lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2353 on: June 17, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »
Made some baked chickpeas for a snack, with red pepper seasoning. Was chilling watching tv and ended up scratching my junk with the hand I was eating chickpeas with.

Now my dick is on fire
 :brazilcry

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2354 on: June 17, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »
Correlation does not equal causation and you are dating a chick who works at the dollar store...

bluemax

« Reply #2355 on: June 17, 2016, 11:11:28 PM »
So yesterday while the intern was out, one of our other programmers was finally assigned to help me on the project. When I was asked what he would need I said a Windows based PC (XBO and PS4 dev tools don't exist for macOS). The only quasi free machine was the one the intern has been using. So the dude swapped off his Mac and setup the Windows machine. This morning at standup the intern says "I have a critical issue, I have a mac now and I don't know how to use one so I need a PC ASAP."

Dude. It's fucking 2016 and you're a god damn computer science major. It's not that hard. (And yes I called him out on this in stand up in front of everyone)

The funny thing is, the other intern, who is doing design, has a PC that ostensibly we could've given to either of these programmers but whatever. I really just want the intern off the project and now that I have an actual competent, real programmer on it I hope it gets easier to dump the intern.

Oh this reminds me, I got a notice from the government that I owe a bunch of money and I'm pretty sure it is related to my previous employer skipping paying payroll taxes for awhile because they had no money. I should probably figure out what I'm supposed to do about that.
NO

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2356 on: June 18, 2016, 12:13:18 AM »
Could he not figure out how to launch the bootcamp utility?

bluemax

« Reply #2357 on: June 19, 2016, 01:04:19 AM »

Knowing him he'd probably blow the computer up.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2358 on: June 19, 2016, 05:13:43 AM »

Knowing him he'd probably blow the computer up.

"You're an intern. Your very existence PRECLUDES the possibility that any issue you're having is 'critical.'"

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2359 on: June 19, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »
Went to bar with people I don't really know.  Thought I'd be all cool and order a beer without looking at the menu cause I've had a beer or two before.  Order a 'blackhaven' instead of a 'belhaven'.  Embarassingly look at the menu to confirm its a belhaven I want.  Welp my life is over. 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This memory will haunt me for all my life.
[close]

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2360 on: June 19, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
One time I was at a beer bar sitting next to (chaperoning) some extremely drunk and quite attractive female friends and I tried to order whatever looked like the stupidest, least impressive looking beer because I was honestly trying not to look like I wanted to have sex with them. The beer was called "something murderous clown" I think.

The waitress comes back and is like "are you shoor you want that, it's $30 and sometimes people order it by accident".

:o :-\:doge

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2361 on: June 19, 2016, 01:01:57 PM »
undercooked a salmon steak

ate it

then googled if its safe

Tasty

« Reply #2362 on: June 19, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »
undercooked a salmon steak

ate it

then googled if its safe

Should have worn a condom, m8

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2363 on: June 19, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
Step up to high ABV drinks so you black out before you can hit toxic the next day level. :aah

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2364 on: June 20, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:53:31 PM by CatsCatsCats »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2365 on: June 20, 2016, 02:58:37 PM »
I know ur secretd cats

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2366 on: June 20, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »
I tried to mack it with this drunk slut at this party and then karate chopped him in the windpipe for leading me on.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2367 on: June 20, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »
Fuck y'all

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2368 on: June 20, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
 :mindblown

Drunken monkey style chop

Bebpo

« Reply #2369 on: June 20, 2016, 10:31:45 PM »
Work has been just so fucking stressful lately dealing with complete asshats left and right.  I used to be such a nice friendly attorney, but now I'm just done putting up with people's shit and tell them how it is.  I'm cursing like  800% more than normal atm.  I'm just completely done being nice to people who are not nice back.  If you're a courteous person, whether a client or an opposing attorney, I'll treat you with respect and be a friendly good dude to you.  Hell, I'll even discount my bills and help you out for free later on if you need some stuff.  One client was the nicest food stand owner guy and he paid me like <$2,000 for like $5,000 of work and I told him it's cool, he didn't need to pay the rest and we wouldn't bill him anymore.  I appreciated the <$2,000 that he still did pay even though I know it was tough for him and his business, but he was a really great decent human being.  Otoh, sometimes (a lot of the times) I deal with people that are just total demanding assholes, and they get a goddamn drill sergeant daddy telling them how it is and the world isn't going to stop rotating just for them.  I don't care if you're a multi-million dollar corporation, if you're acting like an idiot or asshole and fucking everything up for everyone else involved then you get no favors from me.

Gonna take a vacation soon. 

Also this is probably what happens when I have to stop drinking beer for half a year since I've been sick for most of 2016 due to my weak immune system.  Also no sex either for the last month or so since I've been single again.  At least I'm back to exercising, exercising & watching comedy seems like a good way to destress.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2370 on: June 20, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »
BTW, Bebs cursing 800% normal means now he says "fuck" once a week.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2371 on: June 20, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
Bebs with an edge is probably a great balance for you tbh

Kara

« Reply #2372 on: June 20, 2016, 11:32:37 PM »
There are worse things in life than living quid pro quo, but make that decision because you want to make it Bebps, not because circumstance is pushing you into it.

I'd quote a pithy Epictetus maxim at this juncture but quoting pithy things is dreadfully off personal brand.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2373 on: June 21, 2016, 12:13:55 AM »
You'll get the respect of assholes when you can dress them down with eloquence, especially if they know it's unusual for your personality.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2374 on: June 21, 2016, 01:15:42 AM »
Last night wife decides to get all sexy sexy, puts on her sexy music playlist and we start having at it. We're getting all hot and heavy and then suddenly this song comes up

Wife looks at me and laughs at her joke. Nothing kills an erection faster than the memory of that Mannequin movie. :brazilcry

We spent the next 20 minutes laughing.
Get trolled by your wife brehs.
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2375 on: June 21, 2016, 02:37:31 AM »
24 hours of ball pain. I respect her skills. :umad

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2376 on: June 21, 2016, 03:27:30 AM »
Apparently our company had VIP season tickets for Arsenal for ages, but they got cancelled due to lack of interest and cost.

Only found out after they got cancelled and I talked to my boss' boss.

smh could have been to so many games with great seats and beer

:piss working in a satellite office not knowing shit :piss2

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2377 on: June 21, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
Got a Balcony for the Cavs parade tomorrow. That's the good news

Have to share it with someone in my field I absolutely can't stand. That's the struggle.

YMMV

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2378 on: June 21, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
My company picked up a big client that has 20 something sites spread across the greater NYC area. They hired a team of 6 to manage the account and go onsite when needed. Unsurprisingly they aren't able to handle the workload. Now they started leaning on the engineers that have holes in their schedule and since my schedule is not fully booked up, I'm being roped up into this bullshit.

Now they're going to turn me into a fucking errand boy for this clueless account manager who has already given me inaccurate information on several occasions and sent me out into the field with my dick in my hand.
nat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2379 on: June 21, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »
Got a Balcony for the Cavs parade tomorrow. That's the good news

Have to share it with someone in my field I absolutely can't stand. That's the struggle.

Get married brehs

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2380 on: June 21, 2016, 12:51:11 PM »
:dead

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2381 on: June 21, 2016, 01:09:39 PM »
:dead :dead
YMMV

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2382 on: June 21, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
Had family visit.  They asked me about church street. i.e. the gay part of town.  And they asked in a way that was basically, 'we would be understanding if you knew a lot about church street'.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #2383 on: June 21, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »
should've mentioned liberty village so they'd think you were just a metrosexual

Tasty

« Reply #2384 on: June 21, 2016, 02:51:43 PM »
Had family visit.  They asked me about church street. i.e. the gay part of town.  And they asked in a way that was basically, 'we would be understanding if you knew a lot about church street'.

Bebpo

« Reply #2385 on: June 22, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »
My gmail account got hacked from Afrika and sent all 650+ office contacts on my list a spam link.  We secured the problem, and are notifying everyone by phone one at a time since gmail banned my sending privileges after I tried to send a mass e-mail notifying people of the hack and to not open the spam email.

What is an alternative to gmail for secure work?  I'm going to get a new email service since gmail is being very difficult to work with on this.

Tasty

« Reply #2386 on: June 22, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »
You didn't have two-factor authentication enabled?

Bebpo

« Reply #2387 on: June 22, 2016, 04:07:31 PM »
I didn't think gmail had 2-factor.  I looked all through settings when I was doing 2-factor on various devices a few years ago.  I looked again after the hack today and I still couldn't find any 2-factor option under security for standard gmail.  fuck, so they do have 2-factor?  Why is everything so hidden in gmail.

Tasty

« Reply #2388 on: June 22, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »
It's on your Google account.

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Gmail was the banner product when two-factor auth was launched in 2011: https://gmail.googleblog.com/2011/02/advanced-sign-in-security-for-your.html

Tasty

« Reply #2389 on: June 22, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »
Anyways, sucks that happened bebps. I don't know what else I'd use if I couldn't use Gmail/Inbox.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2390 on: June 22, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
I got notices from Microsoft and Netflix that my Gmail was breached a week ago.  I changed my password of course and I subscribed to two step verification.
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #2391 on: June 22, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »
The worst thing is I tracked down where they got my info from.  It was a compromised from another company we work with 7 days ago.  They never gave me any notice :|  So I'm going out of my way now to try to e-mail (from a new account) / call every single one of these 650+ people to let them know.  I don't know if this is the proper procedure for small businesses, since I get spam e-mail from people all the time and no one ever contacts me after to let me know, but idk it seems like I should do as much as I can to mitigate this spam send out. 

Bebpo

« Reply #2392 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
Alright, I think I've got calls or e-mails out to most of my contacts making them aware of the spam and apologizing.  Also changed all my passwords that coincided with my e-mail password.  Also went and strengthened like all my passwords, got two-step activated on every account I own that offers it.  Been working from a new e-mail since I still can't send anything until my ban runs up on my main e-mail because of the mass e-mail I tried to send giving people notice not to open the spam e-mail.  Hopefully after the 24 hours runs up tomorrow morning I'll get my main account back :|  Since I changed the password and got 2-step up on it, I think it's probably safe to go back to using it rather than burn it all down and start a whole new e-mail account.

Beezy

« Reply #2393 on: June 22, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »
I got your spam emails and the apology one on my old email address. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2394 on: June 22, 2016, 10:26:29 PM »
Last night wife decides to get all sexy sexy, puts on her sexy music playlist and we start having at it. We're getting all hot and heavy and then suddenly this song comes up

Wife looks at me and laughs at her joke. Nothing kills an erection faster than the memory of that Mannequin movie. :brazilcry

We spent the next 20 minutes laughing.
Get trolled by your wife brehs.

I dunno, Jefferson Starship is a full-effect boner-killer, but Mannequin-era Kim Catrall can induce boners in catatonic patients. It sounds dangerously close to some form of "erection speedball."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2395 on: June 22, 2016, 10:31:03 PM »
Alright, I think I've got calls or e-mails out to most of my contacts making them aware of the spam and apologizing.  Also changed all my passwords that coincided with my e-mail password.  Also went and strengthened like all my passwords, got two-step activated on every account I own that offers it.  Been working from a new e-mail since I still can't send anything until my ban runs up on my main e-mail because of the mass e-mail I tried to send giving people notice not to open the spam e-mail.  Hopefully after the 24 hours runs up tomorrow morning I'll get my main account back :|  Since I changed the password and got 2-step up on it, I think it's probably safe to go back to using it rather than burn it all down and start a whole new e-mail account.

Good on you for getting two-factor on everything that offers it.

My gmail nearly got hacked earlier this year, but my two-factor was in place, so it was a non-starter. Made all the two-factor bullshit worth it. I've got it on my Gmail, Apple, and Amazon accounts now. Twitter had some fuckery that didn't like my Japanese number for some reason, but I've got it everywhere I can now, too.

I want my goddamned credit union to run two-factor now.

bluemax

« Reply #2396 on: June 22, 2016, 10:54:32 PM »
You'll get the respect of assholes when you can dress them down with eloquence, especially if they know it's unusual for your personality.

"But all rest assured, sometimes just a word
Is the most satisfying sound"
NO

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2397 on: June 25, 2016, 02:47:55 PM »
Went to see a play last night, it was quite good. It was at the Detroit Repertory Theatre which is the state's oldest theater. It's a rather intimate theater, less than 200 seats and very good acoustics. Anyway within about 15 minutes of the play starting I kept noticing a low murmur coming from somewhere in the crowd. It was coming from my far left, some dude was talking on his phone or something for long periods of time (like 5-10 minutes). Low enough for me not to know what he was saying, but high enough to be distracting as fuck.
 :foxx

After the intermission more people started having quiet conversations, or adlibbing the play :beli

I was sitting next to the most white people in the crowd, one to my immediate left and three to my immediate right. They kept looking around at all the black people talking and looking frustrated af while I pretended I didn't hear shit.

The murmuring and convos died down thankfully, to be replaced by some gasps and disapproving sighs from the old ass people who came on a church bus to see the play. I guess they didn't expect there to be adult language and some "gay stuff" in the play
:heh

But seriously tho, you've got to be quite a dick to go to a play and talk. Or leave your phone on and interrupt everyone with ringtones.  SMH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2398 on: June 25, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
I once saw a movie with black people in the crowd.  Only time I've consider segregation to be a intellectually valid idea. 

That movie?  Second time I saw civil war.   :doge
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2399 on: June 25, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
I once saw a movie with black people in the crowd.  Only time I've consider segregation to be a intellectually valid idea. 

That movie?  Second time I saw civil war.   :doge
[close]

You were probably rooting for the South to win. :beli
©@©™