Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535040 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #2640 on: September 01, 2016, 08:25:10 AM »
It beats suffocating to death, even if it is in your sleep.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2641 on: September 01, 2016, 08:28:30 AM »
It beats suffocating to death, even if it is in your sleep.

Does that happen?  I was watching some older guy rant about people who don't use the masks, and he was just going off on people stating that it can lead to a stroke.  I can't believe there are people out there who won't wear those masks because they think it makes them look stupid.  Who gives a shit?  You only wear it when you're fucking sleeping.
ど助平

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2642 on: September 01, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »
There's no solid evidence that using the machine will do anything but help you sleep better and stay awake throughout the day
dur

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2643 on: September 01, 2016, 08:43:13 AM »
If sleep apnea ends up being the cause of your issues, I'm sure the doctor will explain everything in exhaustive detail. The long and short of it is: your airways are obstructed while you're in sleep paralysis. Long enough for your body to go into a panic trying to wake you up in time, which is why the affected wake up dead tired.

Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis didn't wear his when he died because he was spent from his wedding festivities. Last tweet was something like '12 hours sleep in 3 days. whatever, it's not like I'm going to die'. :-\

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2644 on: September 01, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »
Got to work this morning only to find that I left my keycard and key at home.
:neogaf

Hightailed it back home and got it.  Normally it takes me about 20 minutes to get to work.  The total trip back and forth was about 70 minutes.  :dizzy  But hey, I managed to only be about 45 minutes late.  That's way less time that it would be if I started later in the morning.

I have a cpap machine and man it's a pain in the ass.
I'll admit that without it I was falling asleep at the drop of a dime and dizzy all day, but with it I can actually wake up without feeling like I'm going to fall over right away. That being said, it's like I have a choice: sleep with the mask and be uncomfortable all night and feel like I don't get any sleep (though I  obviously do) and have energy for the day, or sleep comfortably without the mask but wake up exhausted. It sucks.

Ugh.  Doesn't sound that great.  Is it the mask?  I was looking at this stuff and see some people say that some types of masks are ridiculously uncomfortable and others are much better.  One highly recommended one is called the swift mask.

I tried something different last night and attempted to sleep on my side for as much as I could, and also angled the fan away from my face.  Have read that this can help some people.  I do actually feel a bit more rested this morning, although still definitely feeling the effects.
Well, it's not just the mask though a large part of it is, some masks only cover the nose which I think would be easier. I require one that covers the mouth and nose which is much more uncomfortable. But another part of it is the fact that there's something blowing a lot of air into your lungs. Sometimes you can wake up with sore ribs because of that. Also because you have this big amount of air blowing in your face you have to really strap on that mask tight, which makes it not just about the mask, but about the mask and straps at that point.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2645 on: September 02, 2016, 12:03:17 AM »
Don't most doctors also start with "LOSE WEIGHT" as a treatment for sleep apnea?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2646 on: September 02, 2016, 12:33:16 AM »
Don't most doctors also start with "LOSE WEIGHT" as a treatment for sleep apnea?
Yeah, but I'm only 5lbs overweight when I got the machine and even now I'm not much bigger. My doc was genuinely amazed when my sleep study results came back with severe sleep apnea he told me I was one of maybe five patients he had that weren't overweight and didn't smoke and had severe sleep apnea.

Yay me. :goty
que

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #2647 on: September 02, 2016, 01:44:04 AM »
I'm skinnier than a toothpick and have SA

it's definitely rare, doesn't help that I also have to wear a mouthguard for clenching

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2648 on: September 02, 2016, 02:51:12 AM »
so many mosquito bites

i guess that's what i get for spending time outside like those chumps i see outside the window all the time

spoiler (click to show/hide)
hope they enjoyed all the drugs in my blood
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2649 on: September 02, 2016, 02:54:10 AM »
There is a Chinese drawing form the middle ages where a son takes of his shirt so that he gets the musquito bites instead of his father.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2650 on: September 03, 2016, 02:50:45 AM »
My cousin's husband has sleep apnea and he's in great shape.
:idont
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2651 on: September 03, 2016, 05:41:07 AM »
Maybe not much of a consolation, but you're the not the only one there. I am not sure I have a really "close friend". The two potential ones for that have moved out south or in Central Asia. A lot of my social life is accointances I share with the Missus and in many respects I let her handle most of that.

Work is work, I can understand why people put that in a bubble, regardless of how much they like the ambiance there (I kind of do that) : even if I like my colleagues I don't necessarily want to bring that stuff at home.
I'm not angsting over it, it's mostly a choice on my part. But it can get daunting at times.

It's a pretty common sentiment, as far as I can observe, found in people you would probably define as very talented or interesting. I'd say we tend to overstate how lonely and alienated from people we really are.

Same for the tabula rasa thing. Everyone gets an itch for that. In practice it's unreasonable to really reset but nothing prevents you from trying to reinvent youself within your current baggage, too.

Gonna preach on what I don't apply to myself (yet... ?) : maybe try some new hobbies or engagements at a club, association or organization.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:08:22 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2652 on: September 03, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »
Just wait until you get older, Shark, and suddenly the friends you have are never around because they have kids and their social lives with their child-less buddies are basically over.   :doge

At my previous job I didn't socialize with people outside work, but I'm open to it at my new one.  Although I often feel like I've had enough of co-workers after spending the day with them, y'know?
ど助平

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2653 on: September 03, 2016, 01:16:22 PM »
One way to find potential friends who have similar interests is to explore local scenes. If you like rap, going to a concert or record store is a good idea. Or if you're into comics, a comic shop.

Coworkers are such a mixed bag. Sometimes you get a cool one who wants to do stuff, but usually you gotta deal with annoying people or people you don't relate to.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2654 on: September 03, 2016, 01:50:08 PM »
wtf is a 'record store'

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2655 on: September 03, 2016, 04:32:34 PM »
Found this while in my attic inspecting the roof

Time to move!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2656 on: September 03, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »
Apparently it's a mud dauber wasp nest and not really a big deal.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2657 on: September 03, 2016, 04:44:06 PM »
Until you wake up in the middle of the night, smothering to death under an impenetrable layer of mud.
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2658 on: September 03, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Time to move!

I've never seen one get to that point :lol  They try to build them in the corners of my garage every few weeks.  I spray them with raid and then scrape it off and smash with my foot.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2659 on: September 03, 2016, 07:04:51 PM »
Until you wake up in the middle of the night, smothering to death under an impenetrable layer of mud.

Yo, Clayface is just a misunderstood soul. 

Tasty

« Reply #2660 on: September 03, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »

Yo, Clayface is just a misunderstood soul.

He's actually a hero at the moment.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2661 on: September 03, 2016, 09:15:53 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Time to move!

I've never seen one get to that point :lol  They try to build them in the corners of my garage every few weeks.  I spray them with raid and then scrape it off and smash with my foot.

Yeah I get em making paper nests in my eaves sometimes and nip that in the bud, I just don't get up in the attic very often

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2662 on: September 04, 2016, 01:53:44 PM »
Spent the entire weekend cleaning the apartment. So tired. Photographer coming tomorrow and open house next weekend. Place looks almost as mint as it can. Zero clutter etc.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2663 on: September 04, 2016, 10:09:13 PM »
Yeah, but I'm only 5lbs overweight when I got the machine and even now I'm not much bigger. My doc was genuinely amazed when my sleep study results came back with severe sleep apnea he told me I was one of maybe five patients he had that weren't overweight and didn't smoke and had severe sleep apnea.

Yay me. :goty

Well, actually, YEAH! YAY, YOU!

I'd sell my left nut to only be five pounds overweight, but selling my left nut only saves me 2 lbs.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2664 on: September 07, 2016, 09:04:46 AM »
Just got a result that makes an entire project unpublishable.  That's like 4 months and a lot of stress washed down the drain.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2665 on: September 07, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »
Fuck and my supervisor still wants to try to publish it.  Acadamia :piss2

Drinking this at 2:30PM while watching scrubs cause I'm sad

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2666 on: September 07, 2016, 11:30:43 PM »
Fucking United Airlines left me stranded in Houston. I've worked on their data systems so I know they knew I was on the ground and on the way to the last flight out and all they had to do was wait 5 minutes. I know they knew. They just didn't care. But that's not the struggle. I got put up in a hole in the wall motel. But that's also not the struggle. The struggle is that Lucy is on HBO and I've decided to watch it. :brazilcry
que

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2667 on: September 08, 2016, 01:54:12 AM »
"Airline companies only use 10% of their brain to care..."
ὕβρις

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2668 on: September 08, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »
Fucking United Airlines left me stranded in Houston. I've worked on their data systems so I know they knew I was on the ground and on the way to the last flight out and all they had to do was wait 5 minutes. I know they knew. They just didn't care. But that's not the struggle. I got put up in a hole in the wall motel. But that's also not the struggle. The struggle is that Lucy is on HBO and I've decided to watch it. :brazilcry
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.  I would have gone to visit you.  IAH?  I'm literally right across the highway

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2669 on: September 08, 2016, 08:22:36 AM »
Fuuuuck! I wish I had known. Sadly, I'm leaving in like 20 minutes  :'(

Next time United strands me in Houston though we'll totally get drinks. It happens more often than you'd think and I'd like.
que

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2670 on: September 08, 2016, 08:26:27 AM »
I was in Houston airport 15 years ago. Shook. Thoughts and prayers to you.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2671 on: September 10, 2016, 12:50:56 AM »
Goddamn it I am truly depressed today.  Some days it just not worth it to leave bed. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2672 on: September 16, 2016, 07:51:22 AM »
Been sitting on the same stretch of road for over an hour now- a truck crashed into a bridge overpass and complely shut down this part of the highway.  :-\
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2673 on: September 16, 2016, 09:11:45 AM »
Normally I get to work in 20 minutes or less and usually arrive around 6:38 AM.  Today I got to work at 8:20 AM.  The overpass that they had to check was off on another road and had no effect on where I was going, so why they felt the need to close down the other lane that doesn't use it is beyond me.
:dead
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2674 on: September 25, 2016, 12:33:05 AM »
Decided to cook a 5kg turkey at 9PM.  It's now 12:30 and I want to go to bed but its still half frozen  :(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2675 on: September 25, 2016, 01:03:23 AM »
Decided to cook a 5kg turkey at 9PM.  It's now 12:30 and I want to go to bed but its still half frozen  :(
:confused
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2676 on: September 25, 2016, 01:05:33 AM »
I wanted turkey.  I'm a hungry man. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2677 on: September 25, 2016, 01:09:08 AM »
My GFs father passed away on Wednesday night. He was 73 and was diagnosed with lung cancer (non smoker) 2 months ago where they said he would have about 3-6 months. So the past few days have been really tough. I've never felt so useless in my life.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2678 on: September 25, 2016, 02:44:27 AM »
3am and the turkey is still cooking.

Also sorry about your GF's father. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2679 on: September 25, 2016, 03:07:45 AM »
That's a rough spot. Best of luck to get through.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2680 on: September 25, 2016, 03:55:41 AM »
As I told somewhere, my employer has failed to comply with some regulation in time (and were unaware of it until we realized that). Long story short, that might jeopardize my status & benefits for all of 2017 and the answer to our queries to fix this situation have been abysmally incompetent, to the point we're wondering if they're not just acting in bad faith (it also happens that there's a drought of work and rumors of some of it being sent overseas). Me and a few dozens of other chaps will probably have to lawyer up.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2681 on: September 25, 2016, 08:11:07 PM »
As I told somewhere, my employer has failed to comply with some regulation in time (and were unaware of it until we realized that). Long story short, that might jeopardize my status & benefits for all of 2017 and the answer to our queries to fix this situation have been abysmally incompetent, to the point we're wondering if they're not just acting in bad faith (it also happens that there's a drought of work and rumors of some of it being sent overseas). Me and a few dozens of other chaps will probably have to lawyer up.
Ugh. Good luck with that.

My GFs father passed away on Wednesday night. He was 73 and was diagnosed with lung cancer (non smoker) 2 months ago where they said he would have about 3-6 months. So the past few days have been really tough. I've never felt so useless in my life.
Sorry to hear that, brawndo. Cancer is horrible, but lung cancer for a non-smoker -- just, man, what can you say? I'm sorry for your GF's family, and your feelings of uselessness. I'm sure just being available is helpful to her.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #2682 on: September 26, 2016, 10:37:47 AM »
Second time posting itt @ a Planned Parenthood.

Yulwei

« Reply #2683 on: September 28, 2016, 09:44:48 PM »
Working 12 hour days is not fun. fuck the money

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2684 on: September 29, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »
I was TAing this morning and some guy who was clearly mentally ill followed one of the female students from the streets into the class room.  I had to get security. 

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #2685 on: September 29, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Working 12 hour days is not fun. fuck the money

I can not even imagine that. 8 hours a day is killing me at this shit job, even if it also pays well.

Bebpo

« Reply #2686 on: September 29, 2016, 03:16:29 PM »
How do you guys take your mind off one shitty piece of work to focus on other work?  I'm dealing with a guy whose a 1%er Wall Street and he literally calls the people under him peons and says he doesn't give a shit about anyone besides himself.  Dude is a huge pain the ass to deal with and even insults me.  Very frustrating, hard to focus on other stuff cause so annoyed by this guy.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #2687 on: September 29, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »
The guy probably made his career fucking over everyone in his path. Get in the mentality that he's in your path waiting to be fucked, not that you're in his path waiting to get fucked. He insults you, you insult him back.

And when the time comes to bill him, you bend him over your desk and savagely  :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun until you blow your load.

In my line of work, they just shoot people for being assholes. The ones at the top are all nice guys. D. Howard Marks is Mr. Nice for a reason. Robert Platshorn is the nicest retiree I ever met.
UK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2688 on: September 29, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
7 hours straight of meetings. Now I have to actually do my job.
que

nudemacusers

« Reply #2689 on: September 29, 2016, 07:07:27 PM »
was going to hit up kiki de montparnasse, for some veblen goods of the boudoir variety, but it appears they have gone kaput a few months ago.

http://ny.racked.com/2016/4/15/11438168/kiki-de-montparnasse-closed-tribeca

heartbreaking. and now i have nowhere to buy my lambskin paddle.  :'(
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2690 on: September 29, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »
How do you guys take your mind off one shitty piece of work to focus on other work?  I'm dealing with a guy whose a 1%er Wall Street and he literally calls the people under him peons and says he doesn't give a shit about anyone besides himself.  Dude is a huge pain the ass to deal with and even insults me.  Very frustrating, hard to focus on other stuff cause so annoyed by this guy.

Are you working with him, or for him?

If he's a client, fuck him in billing until it's worth it for you to deal with his bullshit. If it's not worth dealing with his bullshit, fire him as a client.

If you're collaborating on something, let him know you're in a partnership and he'd better well fucking carry his own weight, or he can finish the project himself.

Better than either of these though is following Viktor Frankl's advice if possible: You don't always get to choose your situation, but you can choose your reaction to the situation. In truth, this entitled shit's opinion doesn't count for anything.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2691 on: September 29, 2016, 10:50:05 PM »
Yeah, like Chrono said, if it's a client charge him through the roof. 1) you'll get to look forward to the paycheck 2) It will discourage him from doing business with you again so if he comes back and wants more work you can charge him through the roof again. If he asks why it's so much when compared to the competition you can be honest and say, "It's a pain to deal with you, so I'm charging you more. If you were willing to be more amenable while working together, we could discuss the price." You'd be surprised how many times this actually works.

If you work for or with them Make it clear to him that you expect better. Pull him aside if you need to.  If he insults you nip it in the bud in public by being like "I stand up for you and deliver. I don't deserve to be treated like that." If he's always doing it in a joking but not insulting way head it off by admitting it. "Puppy, you're worthless.", "Yes, yet here I am." Kinda stuff. If they find you don't care they stop. My CEO is sorta like this, one of the sales guys lets it get under his skin so the CEO just keeps digging and digging in deeper because he gets a reaction but from he I'm just like "Haha! That's funny. :comeon" and the boss gives up because he doesn't get a reaction.

I'll be honest I've had this approach work with some people and other times I just had to accept it wasn't going to work at all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:55:24 PM by I'm a Puppy! »
que

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2692 on: September 30, 2016, 07:04:42 AM »
Just remember he probably has escorts insert stuff into his urethra. He enjoys pain and/or enjoys hurting other people. So as Puppy said you should hurt him in his wallet and also be dismissive of him to some degree. Return the favor.

You'll either become his favorite lawyer (which can open doors) or he'll move on.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2693 on: September 30, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
I can't find a fucking job.

I just sat through an hour and a half long interview where at the end they just told me that they weren't hiring for a project/product management position and told me to continue looking for work.

WHY INTERVIEW ME THEN YOU FUCKS
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2694 on: September 30, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »
The vet just called.  They think Nami has mild kidney disease :(  As long as she stays at the level she is at it is manageable though. 

nudemacusers

« Reply #2695 on: September 30, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »
The vet just called.  They think Nami has mild kidney disease :(  As long as she stays at the level she is at it is manageable though.
sorry to hear that. hope all is well.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2696 on: September 30, 2016, 10:07:09 PM »
BrandNew check your PMs

Arvie, that sucks dude.  :-\
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2697 on: October 01, 2016, 12:25:48 PM »
So I posted in the triumph thread about finishing the final presentation for the biggest deal of my career so far. Well, the deal was so huge we had to split it up. I took the 20% that made up 80% of the revenue and the rest of the team took the 80% that made up 20% of the revenue. One big part of the proposal was this utility that we were including in the proposal. Welp, turns out there's a utility out there that will do a lot of the same stuff...for free. WTF? This fucking huge deal we've worked on for months and you didn't bother to check if there was something that did your section of the proposal for free?  :mindblown
Yeah, it doesn't do the important part that the client needs which in turn makes that free utility worthless, but the fact that our competitor said, "LOL, why they talking about it, this does it for free." And now we have to react makes us look stupid when we claim to be experts in this shit and apparently we didn't know, instead of us saying, "Oh, btw, there's this thing that does it for free. But here's why it wont work for you." Our only hope is that we can pull off the whole , "Oh that? It doesn't do this thing which is the most important part, so why would waste your time with it?" and in turn make the competitor look dumb for even suggesting it. It's not that my colleagues here are incompetent, far from it. It's just that they're doing like 20 things at once and so nothing gets deep attention you can be pretty sure our competitors are focused on this and this alone.  But honestly, if i was client I'd toss both out.  Our competitor for suggesting something that obviously will not work, and us for suggesting something so costly and not knowing there's a free alternative. :picard

Well at least if we lose it I can be like "Yeah, not my fault."
que

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2698 on: October 01, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
I love being on the other side of the table on these things.
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2699 on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:29 PM »
Last week, I sold some games on eBay to fund my purchase of a new PC.  I had five packages total.  Packed everything myself and triple-checked to make sure the right items were in the right boxes.  Put labels on them so I could remember what was what.

Took these to a UPS store and sent them out.  The lady there asked me what the value of a box was and I said under 100.  I then realized that she thought I meant for everything.  When I told her this wasn't correct, she got all pissy with me and complained that she would have to start all over again.  Whatever.

Today I get a note from someone that I was supposed to have sent $400 worth of items to that he received the box with $40 worth of items.  That (hopefully) means that just two people's stuff was switched.  The other guy is on GAF and I hope he does the honest thing and sends the package back.

This also means that the fucking bitch at UPS got the labels messed up when she re-did everything.  :-\
ど助平