Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 534988 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #2700 on: October 03, 2016, 09:15:19 PM »
UPS intercepted the package and will be returning it to me.
:rejoice
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2701 on: October 04, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »

watched this

jesus

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2702 on: October 05, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
My iPhone 5S was getting long in the tooth, and had mysterious liquid damage under the screen.

Ordered a same-carrier "white-ROM" used iPhone 6; it arrived in pristine condition.

I've had it less than a week. About 30 minutes ago, I got up for a midnight piss, dropped the thing onto tile, and shattered its screen.

Then, after stewing over it for half an hour, I thought "I've seen people carrying around phones like this all the time, maybe it still will work." So I tried scrolling and ended up putting a glass sliver into my thumb and bleeding a bunch.

So mine was an iPhone 6 because it lasted 6 days.

Mother.

Fucker.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2703 on: October 05, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
After years of never damaging any of my phones, I hopped in a pool with my S6 Active and a hot tub with an iPhone 6 within a month of each other. I made sure to get a Lifeproof case for my 6S plus. Things get expensive really fast.
©ZH

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2704 on: October 05, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
Yeah I have a case that says its waterproof as well and phone insurance included in my home insurance.

https://www.puro.it/en/lander

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2705 on: October 05, 2016, 12:39:59 PM »
Yeah I have a case that says its waterproof as well and phone insurance included in my home insurance.

https://www.puro.it/en/lander

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #2706 on: October 05, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »
Never broke a phone until a years time ago. My Galaxy S4 had survived many things, I thought it wouldn't. Ended up dropping it out of my pocket from a very small distance from the ground, and it just shattered completely. Well. Bought some cheap Samsung phone, because I was not home and couldn't charge my card for more than like 200 euros a day, in a foreign country (would just have called my bank, but i really needed a phone, and time differences made it impossible). It broke after a few months, refused to charge.

Bought a LG G4. Really liked it. A few weeks back, it then just stopped working at night. Apparently a pretty common problem with its motherboard fucking up, that needs a repair. It even got me late to work, as I do my alarm clock on that.

Now hoping this fucking Galaxy Edge 7 won't burst into flames or something, like the Note 7.

Fuck phones.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2707 on: October 05, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »
My iPhone 5S was getting long in the tooth, and had mysterious liquid damage under the screen.

Ordered a same-carrier "white-ROM" used iPhone 6; it arrived in pristine condition.

I've had it less than a week. About 30 minutes ago, I got up for a midnight piss, dropped the thing onto tile, and shattered its screen.

Then, after stewing over it for half an hour, I thought "I've seen people carrying around phones like this all the time, maybe it still will work." So I tried scrolling and ended up putting a glass sliver into my thumb and bleeding a bunch.

Mother.

Fucker.

"I'll fake it! They'll never know!"

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2708 on: October 05, 2016, 08:51:38 PM »

Mother.

Fucker.
I dunno if this is still possible but when I worked for Apple I'd tell folks with shattered screens to get Applecare+ (physical damage warranty w/ 2 phone replacements a year) over the phone/webchat, because that just requires you to run an app that checks the internals. Once your phone passes that test you can then immediately take it to an Apple Store and get it replaced. Also the person you buy it from over the phone will get a commission. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2709 on: October 05, 2016, 10:46:01 PM »
Thanks! Though, I really try not to be a cheat, especially when the problem's my own damned fault. Back in the day, I had a Chinese VCR that broke on its 31st day of use; Fry's wouldn't do a return, so I bought the same model, went down to my car, put the broken one in the new box and returned it with the newer receipt. That's about as misbehaving as I've ever been, and I felt righteous about it.

On top of that, if I did get caught in any way shape or form, it'd be one more piece of "foreigners are cheats!" cropping up in the Japanese news.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2710 on: October 06, 2016, 02:18:39 AM »
Update: When I was in high school, I wasn't a strong swimmer and ended up doing a breast-stroke style without really watching where I was, and I came down face first on the concrete lip of the pool, breaking my front top two teeth in half. Two hours later, after a dentist visit, my teeth were fixed. In a way, other than the traumatic memory of shattering my front teeth, it was like it was never broken.

My phone was kind of like that today. I messed up (twice) last night, but took it in to a local karaoke/arcade which also does iPhone repairs, and found they'd fix it for about $100 (¥12,000). So now my 6 is fixed and I'm ordering a fucking cover for this fucking fucker before I do something else embarrassing and horrible.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:55:07 AM by chronovore »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2711 on: October 06, 2016, 06:39:28 AM »
order the one I have with discount code Kosma10

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2712 on: October 06, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »
Working with those university folks and seeing how they had lives and enjoyed what they did made me realize that while I could be considered "successful" I'm really not any happier for it. I'm working all the time, taking fire from all side, the stress doesn't stop, and I really don't have much time for hobbies anymore.  I'm pretty sure I need to get out of this job. I put in a few applications elsewhere but who knows.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2713 on: October 06, 2016, 08:03:02 PM »
order the one I have with discount code Kosma10
I've already ordered a Magpul cover, as it kept my 5S from harm for 2 years. Thanks, though!

Working with those university folks and seeing how they had lives and enjoyed what they did made me realize that while I could be considered "successful" I'm really not any happier for it. I'm working all the time, taking fire from all side, the stress doesn't stop, and I really don't have much time for hobbies anymore.  I'm pretty sure I need to get out of this job. I put in a few applications elsewhere but who knows.
Do what my game dev friends have done: get university jobs teaching others how to do what you're doing. It's like a former prostitute becoming a madame (but with a bigger pay cut).

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2714 on: October 07, 2016, 05:05:42 AM »
My employer is still mostly uncooperative to communicate openly about a major administrative issue and I may have blacklisted myself by becoming a defacto "union leader". Which may not amount to much because the way things shape up is that work will never come back in a substantial manner in my department.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:16:07 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2715 on: October 07, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »
Update: When I was in high school, I wasn't a strong swimmer and ended up doing a breast-stroke style without really watching where I was, and I came down face first on the concrete lip of the pool, breaking my front top two teeth in half. Two hours later, after a dentist visit, my teeth were fixed. In a way, other than the traumatic memory of shattering my front teeth, it was like it was never broken.

My phone was kind of like that today. I messed up (twice) last night, but took it in to a local karaoke/arcade which also does iPhone repairs, and found they'd fix it for about $100 (¥12,000). So now my 6 is fixed and I'm ordering a fucking cover for this fucking fucker before I do something else embarrassing and horrible.

My Magpul cover arrived. My phone is protected.

Alcoholic Fish

« Reply #2716 on: October 11, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
Learned that the head of my department thinks I don't care about my job, despite vocal opinions to the contrary from the rest of upper management. Guess I'll put out some resumes.

Freyj

« Reply #2717 on: October 12, 2016, 12:54:05 AM »
Learned that the head of my department thinks I don't care about my job, despite vocal opinions to the contrary from the rest of upper management. Guess I'll put out some resumes.

I don't know how many times I've heard "does X just not care" from absentee management first or secondhand now, but it feels like some weird kind of shitty management club motto.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2718 on: October 16, 2016, 05:58:42 PM »
4~6 weeks ago, I got some kind of infection in my jaw, likely something WAY DEEP inside a root canal which had become irritated. Looked like my left half was storing stuff in it like a chipmunk. I took antibiotics, and it went away, but the dentist said that if it came back I'd need to see a different doctor as it might be sinus-related.

Wasn't sure if it was coming back yesterday; I had some mild pain in the same area, but it didn't seem to be swelling.

This morning, my left half of my face looks like a chipmunk.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2719 on: October 16, 2016, 06:06:15 PM »
Sorry to hear that, chrono. Hopefully they can figure out what needs to be done to get rid of it for good.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2720 on: October 16, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »
Sorry to hear that, chrono. Hopefully they can figure out what needs to be done to get rid of it for good.

Thanks.

I'm really, REALLY not looking forward to having someone digging around in my nasal passage or removing a crown to dig out the root canal stuffing to jam antibiotics up there. In Japan, it'll also be about 6 visits for the latter, or hospital surgery for the former. BLEARRRGH.

Tasty

« Reply #2721 on: October 17, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »

Woke up to these open tabs. :stahp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2722 on: October 17, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »
Apple products :donot
©@©™

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2723 on: October 17, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
I felt super nervous walking into a job I was unqualified for today and ready to look stoic and impressive on a skin deep level and then they tell me I accidentally came a day early.

"oh okie...thats all right hahah"

I think I'm gonna need some In-N-Out to get my chill back.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2724 on: October 17, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »
:dead
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2725 on: October 17, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
Is the first qualification knowing your days of the week? 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2726 on: October 17, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »
 :lol no HR forgot to update my desired start date. I initially told them in the interview that I wanted to delay the start date until after my nephew is born but later during the on boarding process told them Monday would be fine. To be fair, I was assuming that my nephew was due on October 15 when it was actually October 8th. No one there needs to know that.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2727 on: October 17, 2016, 08:03:28 PM »
Nami's kidney disease food is exactly 20 times as expensive as her current food.  :(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2728 on: October 17, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »
Sucks dude. My cat has a kidney disease that if untreated causes him to piss everywhere. His perscription food is hella expensive. I feel ya.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2729 on: October 18, 2016, 05:51:24 AM »
Went to dentist, took out pus from gums but it was insufficient. Removed crown with a skull vibrating coarse drill, and pulled out root stuffing material. Still insufficient discharge.

Went to otorhynolaryngolgist (ENT) and they did arcane things to my ears and nose. Confirmed it's the tooth.

They prescribed a suppository. Pretty sure they're coming at the problem from the wrong angle.

I go back in a week to arrange a hospital surgery.

Ffffffuuuuuu....

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2730 on: October 18, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »
that sucks dude

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2731 on: October 18, 2016, 11:35:21 AM »
Yikes I hope you won't suffer too much between now and surgery.  :(
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2732 on: October 18, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
I also hope you suffer to just the right amount between now and surgery. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2733 on: October 18, 2016, 06:22:28 PM »
I also hope you suffer to just the right amount between now and surgery.
:-*
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:tauntaun
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2734 on: October 18, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »
I walked Nami with a bit of clam chowder in my beard.  I live in a pretty gay neighborhood too.  :( 

Tasty

« Reply #2735 on: October 18, 2016, 08:21:18 PM »
I walked Nami with a bit of clam chowder in my beard.  I live in a pretty gay neighborhood too.  :(

You're a disgrace.

Beezy

« Reply #2736 on: October 18, 2016, 09:27:35 PM »
Ordered a GTX 1070 that was "delivered" today by Fedex. Tracking said the dumb fucks left in front of the door. I called my parents who were home all day and asked if they heard the doorbell or if anything was delivered. Nope and nope. So I guess someone snatched my shit. I filed a claim with newegg as soon as I got home about 3 hrs ago, but I'm still fucking frustrated at the Fedex delivery guy.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2737 on: October 18, 2016, 10:00:19 PM »
ya that sucks

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2738 on: October 19, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »
Had to take two part time jobs as a Jeni's scooper and a barista at a local coffee/record shop  :(

Still can't find a product/project management job in my field
püp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2739 on: October 19, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »
Yeah but you can put icecream in coffee and that's pretty rad

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2740 on: October 19, 2016, 05:12:34 PM »
Barista is gender neutral? It's not baristo?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2741 on: October 19, 2016, 05:20:06 PM »
Ordered a GTX 1070 that was "delivered" today by Fedex. Tracking said the dumb fucks left in front of the door. I called my parents who were home all day and asked if they heard the doorbell or if anything was delivered. Nope and nope. So I guess someone snatched my shit. I filed a claim with newegg as soon as I got home about 3 hrs ago, but I'm still fucking frustrated at the Fedex delivery guy.

Damn thats dumb

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2742 on: October 19, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »

gender neutral
püp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2743 on: October 19, 2016, 06:28:10 PM »

baristir
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2744 on: October 19, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »
I don't know who to believe. I'm going to keep calling them barkeep

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2745 on: October 19, 2016, 07:23:35 PM »
Barysta
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2746 on: October 19, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2747 on: October 20, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »
Just found out MIL has breast cancer

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2748 on: October 20, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »
oh man that sucks. I'm sorry cats.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2749 on: October 20, 2016, 06:59:08 PM »
Shit. Sorry, cats.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2750 on: October 20, 2016, 07:01:34 PM »
sorry dude.  Hopefully everything ends up OK.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2751 on: October 20, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »
Sorry, dude.  :(

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2752 on: October 20, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »
Yeah, thanks guys, I feel just awful for my wife, she's already lost her dad to cancer and had to be the one in her family keeping it together :/

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2753 on: October 20, 2016, 11:21:45 PM »
It's going to be tough and you'll hate not knowing how to help but there is nothing you can do but be there for her. The small bit of good news is that it's a very survivable form of cancer.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2754 on: October 24, 2016, 05:55:09 AM »
My colleague died, 33, 2 kids (1 and 3).

Was expecting this as she was battling cancer for a year now, but still shocked as you don't really expect it somehow, even if you are expecting it.

Stop putting off living the life you want ya'll.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:23:34 AM by Premium Lager »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2755 on: October 24, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »

I'm sorry Lager. Those kids, so young. :tocry
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2756 on: October 24, 2016, 10:40:14 PM »
Lager, good advice on living the life you want right now.

Update on my mouf: Saw ENT and dentist for follow-up this morning. They're now saying they might not do surgery, since the infection largely calmed down. They've stuffed more antibiotics directly into my empty root channels and capped it for another week. Of course, this has happened before, so I worry that it will just happen again. Boo.  :-\

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2757 on: October 25, 2016, 04:51:51 AM »
Do you have insurance for this? I think dental is the only insurance I don't have and I know it will bite me in the ass.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2758 on: October 25, 2016, 06:15:03 AM »
Do you have insurance for this? I think dental is the only insurance I don't have and I know it will bite me in the ass.
Same. I've got pretty healthy dentition though, so finger's crossed. :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2759 on: October 25, 2016, 06:57:02 AM »

Dental's covered by the same national insurance that regular health insurance covers. It doesn't cover ceramic crowns, so I'll have glittering silver teeth like Jaws from James Bond. Actually, I grind my teeth badly, so I've shattered the ceramic crowns for which I paid a vast sum to appease Los Angelino vanity. I'm past that now.