Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535710 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #2760 on: October 25, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »
That's nice, I do have two dentists in the family so hopefully they can fix me up cheap or something when needed.

Also flying to Turkey is popular I think for dental work here.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2761 on: October 25, 2016, 07:08:15 AM »
That's nice, I do have two dentists in the family so hopefully they can fix me up cheap or something when needed.

Also flying to Turkey is popular I think for dental work here.

My first-world prejudice is showing, but the idea that you'd fly to the Middle East to have medical procedures performed seems pretty wrong to me.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2762 on: October 25, 2016, 07:21:21 AM »
No expert but I would expect the gap to be more on available medical technologies/treatments than formal education, provided you're in any moderately stable country.
ὕβρις

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2763 on: October 25, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »
There have to be decent dentists there if there's a well-known market for it. Middle class northern Euros could probably afford the more competent/upscale ones, should there be a concerning variance in quality.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Besides, dentistry doesn't strike me as one of the high arts of medicine. :doge
[close]
Eastern Europe is/was a poular destination for cheap medical care as well. Plastic surgery, too.

Sure hope Turkey doesn't regress so much to prove your prejudice right. :/

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2764 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
There have to be decent dentists there if there's a well-known market for it. Middle class northern Euros could probably afford the more competent/upscale ones, should there be a concerning variance in quality.

A polish guy wouldn't know the difference.
©@©™

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2765 on: October 25, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
Giving a formal toxicology lecture to a college class in 10 minutes.

Surprising less nervous than I thought I would be
dur

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2766 on: October 25, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »
Got a 235$ fine for riding the street car without a ticket.   I literally thought that the transfer tickets were good for 2 hours.  Bought a 110$ bottle of scotch to cry into.  FML

because its 99% confirmed that I'm doing an internship for 4 months
[close]

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2767 on: October 26, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »
My dad got a really worrying blood test and has to go in for a biopsy  :(
vin

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2768 on: October 26, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »
I have to have a liver biopsy on Friday- I have fatty liver and my liver has swelled in size because of it.  But it's not for a serious issue...I hope- they're checking for scarring. Basically was flat-out told my fat ass had to drop the weight or there's gonna be some real problems.  Losing the weight should cure me of all my woes.  I've had to cut out carbs and sugar.  Has been surprisingly easy. 

Also was confirmed that I have sleep apnea and I'm gonna have to get a mask.  Makes no sense to me since if this is from fatty liver...reducing my weight should be all that's needed.  But sure, whatever, will try it. 

I've already dropped some pounds, so off to a good start.  I lost 35+ pounds last year and gained back like 40 pounds this year...then started having all these problems.  Had a lot of stress from last shitty job, but not gonna blame anything but myself.  So it's back on the horse and will get my ass back in shape.  :punch
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:32:04 PM by bork pls »
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2769 on: October 26, 2016, 10:42:21 PM »
I took my car in yesterday to have a suspension thing fixed and have been using free lyft credit to get around. So since then:

First Lyft driver in the morning got rear-ended so I had to call another one. Didn't get late because I skipped a shower today. :doge

I planned to eat a vending machine sandwich at work since I had no car, but could not use my credit/debit cards for some reason and I don't really carry cash because Mint doesn't track that. Thankfully I had some UberEats credit...

I find out that 8 years ago when I opened my accounts, I for whatever reason answered as honestly as possible on my applications about my dual Iranian citizenship because I was afraid of not disclosing everything because yeah I'm dumb. Anyways, apparently the banks are required to double check that you're really, really allowed to be in this country if you have an Iranian/Syrian/Cuban etc citizenship so I have to scan my US passport and send it to them. I don't know why they didn't check 8 fuckin years ago.

The worst thing is that it caused the Mad Max Anthology I ordered to get cancelled and so now I have to reorder and wait longer. :(

I'm switching to a credit union.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2770 on: October 26, 2016, 10:54:36 PM »
Wow what a day man

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2771 on: October 27, 2016, 12:30:48 AM »
I have to have a liver biopsy on Friday- I have fatty liver and my liver has swelled in size because of it.  But it's not for a serious issue...I hope- they're checking for scarring. Basically was flat-out told my fat ass had to drop the weight or there's gonna be some real problems.  Losing the weight should cure me of all my woes.  I've had to cut out carbs and sugar.  Has been surprisingly easy. 

Also was confirmed that I have sleep apnea and I'm gonna have to get a mask.  Makes no sense to me since if this is from fatty liver...reducing my weight should be all that's needed.  But sure, whatever, will try it. 

I've already dropped some pounds, so off to a good start.  I lost 35+ pounds last year and gained back like 40 pounds this year...then started having all these problems.  Had a lot of stress from last shitty job, but not gonna blame anything but myself.  So it's back on the horse and will get my ass back in shape.  :punch

thats rough man.  Quick weight gain and weight loss fluctuating can really fuck with you
püp

Tasty

« Reply #2772 on: October 27, 2016, 01:00:54 AM »
bork foie gras :drool

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2773 on: October 27, 2016, 03:30:48 AM »
Going to my colleagues funeral today, really don't feel like going

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I'm always open to having friends for dinner.
« Reply #2774 on: October 27, 2016, 03:35:22 AM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2775 on: October 27, 2016, 09:18:29 AM »
My dad got a really worrying blood test and has to go in for a biopsy  :(
damn I hope everything is alright dude  :'(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2776 on: October 28, 2016, 02:46:28 PM »
My biopsy wasn't too bad.  Felt like getting punched really, really hard in my side afterwards.  :dizzy
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2777 on: October 28, 2016, 02:49:43 PM »
My biopsy wasn't too bad.  Felt like getting punched really, really hard in my side afterwards.  :dizzy

Hope the results are good.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #2778 on: October 28, 2016, 03:37:45 PM »
What first was taking too much/the wrong medication, turned out to be a tumor in the brain, to being multiple tumors both in the brain and various other places on my grandma. Meanwhile I am stuck in a job I hate (and have quit from January) in another country. Shit fucking sucks, all I want is to be at home right now. My moms phone calls about it are fucking heartbreaking, she is not prone to any alcohol abuse or anything of that sort, but I do not imagine she will take her eventual death well at all.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2779 on: October 28, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »
Fuck man.  :( Best through this.
ὕβρις

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2780 on: October 28, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »
Fuck, man. I'm sorry.  :(
Don't know what can be done in the internet but if you need anything...
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2781 on: October 28, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »
I'm sorry man. My only advice is to talk to them as much as you can and don't worry about crying.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2782 on: October 28, 2016, 06:20:26 PM »
Good god, that sounds horrible and traumatizing for everyone. Hang in there.   :'(

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2783 on: October 28, 2016, 11:27:30 PM »
hang in there

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #2784 on: November 16, 2016, 02:54:54 PM »
Well thanks lads. Luckily my boss has been great, and actually helped me quite a bit here, despite me hating the actual job and having already quit.

It wasn't my intention to kill the thread with super depressive post. Go ahead, complain about your PS4 pro not getting shipped in time.   :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2785 on: November 17, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »
So I have my Ph.D. qualifying exam in two weeks and both my supervisors thought my position paper was good.  However I got an email from my main supervisor, saying that one of my committee members (who my main supervisor said I should put on my committee to the disagreement of my other supervisor) says that my position paper is shit and that I wouldn't pass with it in the current state its in. 

I'm pretty fucking down right now.   

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2786 on: November 18, 2016, 09:03:15 AM »
My cousin died last night. Had flu symptoms and got a shot, he went unconscious and couldn't be revived. Details are super sketchy. He was 50.
rub

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2787 on: November 18, 2016, 09:15:44 AM »
Man. Im sorry. My condolences to you and your family.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2788 on: November 18, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
Sucks Zomg.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #2789 on: November 18, 2016, 02:51:02 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss :(

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2790 on: November 18, 2016, 02:57:44 PM »
Really weird. I handle death well but usually I'm prepared for it due to lasting illness. This one was like BONK dead.
rub

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2791 on: November 20, 2016, 08:45:36 PM »
Holy crap, that's terrifying. Was it a reaction to the shot, or the virus itself?

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2792 on: November 20, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »
We don't know yet. I don't want to ask around so close to the services this week.

It all sounds like a Facebook post.
rub

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2793 on: November 21, 2016, 04:05:32 AM »
I'm sad for your family's loss. That's way too young to go.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2794 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »
Meeting today with my displeased committee member.

1) Threatens that if I go a head with the exam as planned, even if all my other committee members like it, he says I will probably fail
2) Says my position paper lacks synthesis.  However all the specific points that he says I have missed, I can point out exactly in the paper where I address those issues.  He can also not express what is missing, however whatever it is, I need to rewrite a new paper to include it. 
3) He agrees that I have followed that specific criteria for this paper as give by the department however he doesn't like those criteria so I should just follow what he wants
4) He admits that this is not his area of expertise - which I think is the main issue in all this.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2795 on: November 22, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »
Have you considered murder
dur

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2796 on: November 22, 2016, 02:54:42 PM »
This is an example email of his btw

I sent:

X would it be possible for you to email me some very specific examples of the content issues?   That way I can have time to consider the problems and improve my position paper before we meet.

He replies:

The purpose of the meeting is not to receive minor corrections (which it needs a ton of) but to discuss how to reconceive the paper, thereby obviating the need for many of the present minor corrections.
[close]

Its not that I think all of his advice is wrong, if fact I think my paper is pretty shitty, however the ideas are certainly there and I only have a vague idea of what he expects me to change. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2797 on: November 22, 2016, 03:03:54 PM »

No but I have started discussing the option of removing him from my committee with my supervisors.  However now I kind of just want to do it with him on it just to know that I can meet the challenge.  However I very much regret putting him on it in the first place. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2798 on: November 22, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
Any chance he might be gay?  You could just try to seduce him.

Tasty

« Reply #2799 on: November 22, 2016, 06:11:58 PM »
Royally fucked up a project at work this last week and boss basically told me I should look for a new job. :fbm

Eh it's been four years, was about time anyways. :yeshrug

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2800 on: November 22, 2016, 07:44:27 PM »
Meeting today with my displeased committee member.

1) Threatens that if I go a head with the exam as planned, even if all my other committee members like it, he says I will probably fail
2) Says my position paper lacks synthesis.  However all the specific points that he says I have missed, I can point out exactly in the paper where I address those issues.  He can also not express what is missing, however whatever it is, I need to rewrite a new paper to include it. 
3) He agrees that I have followed that specific criteria for this paper as give by the department however he doesn't like those criteria so I should just follow what he wants
4) He admits that this is not his area of expertise - which I think is the main issue in all this.

The other advisors were OK with it, but this clown is not. It's not his area of expertise, he can't pin down what is troubling him, and his own grammar is unsound.

If you submit as-is, is there any disadvantage, such as not being able to resubmit for a year?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2801 on: November 22, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
If I fail, I could get kicked out of my PhD program.  Its something that only happens once.  If I fail its either I get kicked out or I get a conditional pass where my committee can set a task for me that needs to be completed in the time they dictate, so basically he can still fuck me over if this happens. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:59:46 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2802 on: November 22, 2016, 11:18:53 PM »
Can you set a meeting with all of your advisors at once so they could hear his criticisms and call him out on them?
WDW

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2803 on: November 22, 2016, 11:36:56 PM »
Catholic funerals are really long
rub

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2804 on: November 22, 2016, 11:39:04 PM »

No but I have started discussing the option of removing him from my committee with my supervisors.  However now I kind of just want to do it with him on it just to know that I can meet the challenge.  However I very much regret putting him on it in the first place.

Seriously just try to get him removed. You've already proven your principles in getting this far and finishing, don't bend over backwards for this. Just my opinion.
rub

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2805 on: November 23, 2016, 12:17:30 AM »
Probably the guy is just testing you to see if you can do that extra push against all reason which is necessary in any sort of research or he could be a sociopath that gets off on taking years of your youth away from you.

I'd ask around is what I'm saying.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2806 on: November 23, 2016, 07:47:58 AM »
He probably hasn't even read it.  Make some minor changes and tell him you spent "x amount of time" doing a massive rework and watch him say "wow!  big improvement!"

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2807 on: November 23, 2016, 11:58:09 AM »
 :drudge Warning: Long livejournal post incoming. :drudge

So, as you know, I have an autistic son and there's an non-profit that really helped us when we first got the diagnosis and I'm forever greatful and in their debt for it. I try to help them out in whatever meager way I can. I donate to them, donated a car to them, help them in their fundraising and such and from time to time I do little informal sessions with some of their autistic teens about how to be good at conversations in both professional and personal settings (think what I do with Pallo, except these kids listen). So yesterday I'm sitting at my office and I get a call on my cell from a number I don't know. I pick up and a lady introduces herself and says that she is a client of this non-profit org just like I was and that she had heard from people there that I was the best conversationalist they knew. I laughed and said that just meant that they didn't know very many people. The lady takes a very serious tone and asked, "But are you good?" I was a bit like "WTF?" and told her about how there was a time when I was young that I couldn't converse very well with anyone and I made it a life goal to be able to talk to anyone, anytime about anything. Whether I was good or not was subjective, but I had been working on the goal for over thirty years so I at least try.

The lady then starts to cry. Again I'm like "WTF?" She tells me that her son was born with a terminal illness and given about 3-4 years to live. He's almost 3 and it's obvious with the state of his health that his time is almost at an end and that with thanksgiving and the holidays coming up she knew that all her conversations with her friends and family would be about her son and his imminent death and even when they didn't discuss it she knew her friends and family just looked at her with pity. She said she loved her friends and family for their concern but after nearly 3 years of this she just longed for a normal conversation. Not a conversation with someone trying to distract her, or tell her it's going to be OK (which it wasn't) or someone that was taking pity on her. She had been going to meetups and late night chatrooms to try and get that but she said either the conversations were awkward and stilted or once they found out they were like "You poor thing!" and the whole conversation was derailed. She said she just wanted to feel like a normal adult having a normal conversation and when she brought this up to another client in the non-profit they told her that I had helped her daughter learn about conversing better and suggested she call me because "Puppy could get a pizza to tell him its life story". So she called and she asked if I could do that for her. I told her that I believed that good conversation is born in the space between the thoughts of your inner dialogue and that inner dialogue is driven by your circumstances and it was impossible to be going through something as monumental as she was and have it not creep in at some point, it was inevitable. that was probably why her attempts at other conversations had not worked. She said that at least I was honest but could we try, like right now. I told her to give me a sec and cancelled my meetings.

We talked about everything. She was a cheerleader. Married a bad boy (dumb choice), who left her once her son got the diagnosis. She has an older son that is 5. He doesn't really understand whats going on and she doesn't get much time with him. She's worried about how they will reconnect after her younger son passes. Because her husband left her, she had to move back in with her parents, which worked out because they're closer to the medical facilities. She took up knitting to help her relieve the nervous anxiety she has because of all this. Even though she tries to be as bubbly as she was when she was a cheerleader, she's put on weight and let her looks go because of her situation. She's tried to get the weight off, but she knows she'll never get back to that size. She hasn't had anything like romance in several years (her husband was already on his way out when she got pregnant). She tried some dating sites just to see what was out there, but the guys interested in her weren't attractive to her. She admitted that she had coasted by on her looks when it came to dating, she was hot and young and she didn't have to try very hard to get a date, all she had to do was say she was available. Now she's not hot and she's older and has kids and she doesn't know how to navigate that. Not that she could now anyway, but its obvious she wants to have a sense of normalcy back in her life. We talked about Star wars, boobies, Harry Potter, sex, religion, holiday traditions, and yes her dying son did come up from time to time, what it was like when she found out, what the therapy was like, how she felt that she and his therapists had put all this time and effort to teach him skills he was realistically never going to use and how she didn't know if she was greatful she had done that or if she regretted it and only did it because no one knew what else to do.  After about an hour and a half she said she had to go get her son ready for an appointment and thanked me for the first normal conversation she's had in memory. I told her she had my cell number and that she could call me anytime. She thanked me for the offer but with the events that were to come in the next few days and weeks it seemed unrealistic that she would call, but she would keep it in mind and then she hung up.

After it was over I just sat at my desk sobbing for god knows how long. thank god my office has a door. I can't even imagine the horror this woman is living through, watching your child slowly die, knowing you can't do much, knowing they wont get a chance at a full life, watching them and yourself and your other kid waste away emotionally while this is going on and doing that all on your own? I can't get that conversation out of my head. And I feel like such an asshole. Conversation to me is always a bit of a game. I take out little snippets of humor or stories or lessons and mentally catalog them for future use. It's almost like the FF fanfare could go off after I'm done with a conversation. And here was someone just so starved for any of it. I feel like I've been gorging myself on every scrap of food I can find and then just ran into a kid that hasn't had anything to eat in weeks. My whole approach to conversation is in upheaval. On one hand, I don't think I could have had that conversation without viewing conversation the way I do. On the other, I'm obviously a very, very selfish man when it comes to conversations (even if people don't pick up on it) and I'm not proud of that. The whole thing haunts me and I can't get it out of my head and I can't really talk about this with my wife yet. She's the better part of me and will insist we go out and find this lady and do something for her, which is exactly what she doesn't want. She was very clear about that. I guess this is my best attempt to get the thoughts out of my head.

Just hug your kiddles a little tighter boreans. :brazilcry
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2808 on: November 23, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »
You're a good person, Puppy. :tocry
dog

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2809 on: November 23, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »
God I don't even know what say to that. I don't know how you're supposed to feel. Someone just basically asked you to make them feel like a real person. What a sad situation for her, and how... noble? Brave? Human? It's hard to find the words to describe you right now.

You know, I am going to try to relate this to a time of my life and see if it is close. My brother had non Hodgkins Lymphoma, he was 19, I was 17 and still in high school. He was popular in high school and everyone asked about him when they talked to me. For 18 months I wasn't me, I was a conduit to find out how Michael was. I felt like I lost a large piece of my identity.I wasn't Joe, I was cancer-suffering Michael's brother. People felt like they were being compassionate (they were) or they really wanted to check on my brother, but no one asked about me or wanted to talk to me about me. Of course I felt selfish because who wouldn't - my brother might be dying and was going through tremendous pain. At some point though you feel like you're not a person anymore, you're just a method for other people to find out info or share an emotion you've had enough of.

But the poor woman you talked to had it so much worse, I think. Especially because of the actions of her husband. Yuk.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:06:44 PM by zomgee »
rub

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2810 on: November 23, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »
I was going to post but then I read puppys post and Im just going to go to bed and feel blessed with my little family

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2811 on: November 23, 2016, 08:20:09 PM »
I'm glad you were able to make that time for her.  You claim to be selfish in conversation, but your introspection shows otherwise. You're a good guy.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2812 on: November 24, 2016, 09:37:18 AM »
Yeah next to puppy this is nothing but I called the builders that are doing the bathroom in our new house and the. bathroom wont be done till sunday or monday... were moving tomorrow though  :doge

Well be sleeping at the inlaws then or my wifes brothers for a night since they have to turn the heating off so the tiles will glue correctly.

Also apparently the glass on the ventilation in the kitchen spontaneously exlpoded. And of course the kitchen doesnt have a backsplash since we removed the old one but cant put new tiles in till the new kitchen tabletop arrives 😅 and if you are wondering the new tabletop hasnt been ordered yet

Wife and me packed everything in the last 3 days while baby was at daycare during the day and we are wrecked!

movers coming between 7/8 tomorrow

ps: pray for my Sony tv guys I stupidly threw out the box so its moving without it, this is one of those mega low latency sets that dont get made anymore

thank god this is our forever home cause i never want to move again
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:42:31 AM by Premium Lager »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2813 on: November 24, 2016, 10:16:58 AM »
If there is one thing I know about moving that never works out, it's timing. Too many potentials!

Sorry dude.
rub

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2814 on: November 26, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
buy a home brehs

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2815 on: November 26, 2016, 11:50:32 AM »
buy a home brehs

Yuppppp home repairs are a way of life 😓

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2816 on: November 26, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »
staying at inlaws one bedroom appartment until we can move in

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2817 on: November 26, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
workers took out a laminate tile from the floor in the hall and now its missing

like, no one knows what type of tiles this is so it's impossible to buy a replacement

im don't know what to say even, but unless they fix it Im not going to pay for their tiling work in the bathroom

bluemax

« Reply #2818 on: November 30, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »
Publisher making thinly veiled threats to cancel our game because their QA is shit :(
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2819 on: December 01, 2016, 01:20:16 AM »
Publisher making thinly veiled threats to cancel our game because their QA is shit :(
That's the absolute best!

Hope your guys' contract about QA coverage is solid. Sorry they're being dicks.