Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535347 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #2940 on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
So, guess I'll be stuck in Saudi for now.

My family fucked up something fierce financially. Since they were my meal ticket out of here, there goes my chance of leaving anytime soon. Going to find a job, save some money, and try later this year if Trump doesn't enact some more bullshit.

Damn bro. :fbm
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2941 on: February 19, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »
Sorry akhi.

« Reply #2942 on: February 19, 2017, 11:37:57 PM »
I’ll start looking for work over there and we can hang out.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2943 on: February 21, 2017, 12:07:17 AM »
Manhug's my side action. Get your own boy-toy, you cad!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2944 on: February 21, 2017, 01:05:46 AM »
I've got romantic arabic whispers in store for bae, what do you have to offer?

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. Plus: I can cook.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2945 on: February 21, 2017, 05:56:05 AM »
So, guess I'll be stuck in Saudi for now.

My family fucked up something fierce financially. Since they were my meal ticket out of here, there goes my chance of leaving anytime soon. Going to find a job, save some money, and try later this year if Trump doesn't enact some more bullshit.

ouch! werent you already working to help your dad with some money?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2946 on: February 21, 2017, 07:53:25 PM »
I've got romantic arabic whispers in store for bae, what do you have to offer?

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. Plus: I can cook.

It's kind of sad cooking is considered a skill when all it really is is putting a pan on the stove and then putting stuff in the pan.

It's kind of sex is considered important when all it really is is putting a penis in a vagina and then thrusting back and forth.

Don't knock it until you give it a try.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2947 on: February 21, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
My grandma has been vascular dementia - which is what my grandpa already has. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2948 on: February 22, 2017, 02:16:29 AM »
 :(

bluemax

« Reply #2949 on: February 23, 2017, 12:55:03 AM »
Tried to help a friend get a job at the place I work (she was a good skills fit and we have been trying to fill the role for a year), then the company lost a project last week. Today they told her we are in a hiring freeze and two people have already been downsized. I feel like this is only the beginning.
NO

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2950 on: February 23, 2017, 07:36:44 AM »
Yeah we're doing a secret headcount reduction where I work.  Everyone knows it is going on but it's not "official" yet.  The plan is just to try to get some people to retire early.  Morale is almost at negative levels so my boss made a joke that if we offered early retirement, we might be too successful and lose too many people.  Although to counter our low morale, we're allowed to wear blue jeans throughout the week now.
🍆🍆

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2951 on: February 23, 2017, 07:41:16 AM »
They restructured how PTO is handled here - so now less people are taking it - and costs are now up

Not sure if cuts are coming in the department, but it's an easy assumption I wont have a job offer here after I finish this residency. guess its time to polish up that CV
dur

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2952 on: February 23, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »
I'm thankful that I'm now in a position at my job that I'm hard to replace.  :doge

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2953 on: February 23, 2017, 09:29:16 AM »
:gloomy Trump's America  :gloomy
©ZH

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2954 on: February 23, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »
Was planning on buying a motorcycle next week, now I have to do a business trip to Denver instead

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2955 on: February 23, 2017, 07:46:24 PM »
MOTHER FUCKING FUCK FUCKERS I just got scooped again on the idea I was working on for my PhD/Internship and they submitted their paper as a shitty 4 page workshop paper with no quantitative results.  Basically as a flag planting we did this idea first paper. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:58:32 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2956 on: February 23, 2017, 08:27:05 PM »
Man that's depressing

bluemax

« Reply #2957 on: February 23, 2017, 11:38:09 PM »
I guess another guy was let go yesterday and I didn't notice. Apparently it was not done in a particularly clean way.

I can think of two more people that I feel like are probably in danger, one because he is a contractor and the other because she's incredibly inexperienced and there's a group of people who were on her team (for the project that got cancelled) that have flat out said they won't be on a project with her again unless the company actually trains her (which given the track record for training seems unlikely). She's young and cheap and the company head really likes her but she's also a producer with no project, so that's bad.

I'm mildly worried for myself as I'm on a project that is in quasi maintenance mode and I dunno how much longer the publisher will want to keep it going given how it is performing.

Luckily I've been searching for awhile so I don't think I'd be out of a job for too long.
NO

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #2958 on: February 23, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »
That sounds pretty scary and tough. Good thing you're already looking for new jobs, because you should run away before they can kick you.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2959 on: February 24, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »
Best of luck, blue

bluemax

« Reply #2960 on: March 02, 2017, 11:41:25 PM »
Got turned down from a place I interview for :( Sucks cause last time I interviewed there I got halfway through the in person, this time I didn't get past the recruiter.

I've been pretty depressed lately and this didn't help, and I am not doing a great job of compartmentalizing, I've been kinda shitty at work lately which, now is not a great time for. Glad the weekend is coming.
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2961 on: March 02, 2017, 11:45:38 PM »
I wish I had a company, I'd hire all the boreans out there and we'd all chill and make gay subtext jokes until the company went bankrupt.
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2962 on: March 03, 2017, 12:15:40 AM »
I wish I had a company, I'd hire all the boreans out there and we'd all chill and make gay subtext jokes until the company went bankrupt.

So exactly what every tech bubble startup did. :lawd
©@©™

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2963 on: March 03, 2017, 12:16:51 AM »
Now that I think about it, who pays for this site exactly?

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #2964 on: March 03, 2017, 07:15:05 AM »
Now that I think about it, who pays for this site exactly?
If you're trying to figure out whose dick you should suck, the answer is: All of them.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2965 on: March 03, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
If you're trying to figure out whose dick you should suck, the answer is: All of them.
Newsfeed pls
que

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #2966 on: March 04, 2017, 03:57:25 AM »
Speaking of newsfeed, "I honestly thought this was a black people neogaf spin off" were exactly my thoughts until I found the self-posting thread.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2967 on: March 04, 2017, 10:44:34 AM »
Got turned down from a place I interview for :( Sucks cause last time I interviewed there I got halfway through the in person, this time I didn't get past the recruiter.

I've been pretty depressed lately and this didn't help, and I am not doing a great job of compartmentalizing, I've been kinda shitty at work lately which, now is not a great time for. Glad the weekend is coming.

Hang in there, brojan.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2968 on: March 04, 2017, 01:19:18 PM »
Have been on a ton of in person and phone interviews, and I keep getting rejected. Nearly every one is giving me a grueling technical test, and although I feel I do "okay" (and they always tend to ask questions about things that I am totally unprepared for or stuff that I haven't done since college days), they want the best of the best. It's extremely disheartening and makes me feel I'm not cut out to be a coder. Like I've been doing it for 10 years but still feel like I don't know anything.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2969 on: March 04, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »
Speaking as an interviewer for engineering positions (not software though), the quality of resumes has significantly increased.  The job market for STEM is extremely competitive these days.  Then there's also the dumbass Tim Ferriss-style mentalities where STEM majors peak at 25.  After you turn 25, you are automatically considered to be too rigid and perpetually behind the times to be considered valuable.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2970 on: March 04, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »
Speaking of newsfeed, "I honestly thought this was a black people neogaf spin off" were exactly my thoughts until I found the self-posting thread.

Aren't they all self posting threads?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2971 on: March 06, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »

They probably meant "selfie," you brick-throwing, glass-house-inhabiting rascal.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2972 on: March 06, 2017, 11:07:01 PM »
I only ever post other people in that thread

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #2973 on: March 07, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »

They probably meant "selfie," you brick-throwing, glass-house-inhabiting rascal.
chrono pls, my proper pronoun is Blueberry Pancake.

Bebpo

« Reply #2974 on: March 10, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »
*edit* Feeling more ok about things now.  Zelda is a good stress reliever.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:00:50 AM by Bebpo »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2975 on: March 11, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/03/10/snyder-third-of-state-lost-power-in-unprecedented-wind-storm/

I lost my power on Wednesday and got it back this evening (Saturday). The wind was insane on Wednesday and even knocked a 36 foot tree down at my dad's job. A big ass tree was knocked into the street not far from my house as well.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2976 on: March 15, 2017, 02:31:22 PM »
Fuck this snow.  :bolo
©ZH

bluemax

« Reply #2977 on: March 31, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »
Got laid off.
NO

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2978 on: March 31, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »
Got laid off.

Didn't you just get hired?
rub

bluemax

« Reply #2979 on: March 31, 2017, 03:43:20 PM »
NO

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2980 on: March 31, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »
That sucks dude. They just laid you off with no warning?

bluemax

« Reply #2981 on: March 31, 2017, 11:33:40 PM »
That sucks dude. They just laid you off with no warning?

Pretty much yeah but I had a feeling this was going to happen.

We were doing two projects for the same publisher, one was basically in live ops/maintenance mode and the other was due for release in a month or so. I was on the maintenance project, mostly doing performance optimizations and trying to improve loading etc. The other project was coming along well but the publisher was being really difficult for reasons I don't know. Last week on Thursday everyone on that project was told they were being temporarily re-assigned to our one remaining project that is being paid for, while I would remain on the maintenance project. We were supposed to find out the status of the held project this Wednesday.

On Tuesday we sent off a build with my performance improvements to the publisher, but they had been sort of ghosting us for almost a week now and the metrics numbers for the previous release weren't really looking that promising, and since no one else at the studio was invested in the project I knew it wasn't long for the world. I come in Wednesday morning and the boss pulls me into his office and tells me that they're probably gonna close the project and he spoke with big wigs at the publisher and they just didn't feel it was worth the cost. I was told since the remaining paid project was now overstaffed and there was no programming work on the doomed to fail internal passion project that I should just take the rest of the day off. Stupidly I left a few things at my desk even though in the back of my head I knew I was done.

I emailed my boss that night asking if I should come in the next day, he emailed back and said he'd call me the next morning, which he never did. Then he emailed me late in the day and told me to call him this morning. I called in, was told that because the company had had 3 things cancelled or shut down in the past 2 months they were going to have to do some layoffs because none of the stuff they are negotiating is close enough to signing. I am being paid for the next week and I still have access to slack and my company email on the off chance things change, and I was told they would bring me back if they find something before I find something and that was about it.

As far as I know, so far I'm the only one let go.

And of course I checked my work email and see that the publisher for the project I was on has a bunch of questions about what I did. Fat chance that I'm answering.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2982 on: April 01, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »
That's a lame ass way for your boss to let you go. Amateur hour.

Bebpo

« Reply #2983 on: April 03, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
I hate my job these days/weeks.  There's just too much work to do and no possible way to do it all and a lot of it's because other people cause it.  Just feels like a crushing weight and makes me want to just collapse.

Like today I had my schedule all planned out, would get 80% of items across 10 different cases that I needed to do done by 7pm or so, then grab some food and then spend another 2 hours or so doing end of the month administrative billing review that I get 12 hours from when it's first printed until I have to turn it in.  Finished at 9pm, time to relax, fine.  But then total bullshit situation comes up, and emergency working all day and night on it, so now I'm behind on all the items I needed to get done across the 10 cases and I have no idea when to fit my billing review in besides like 10 or 11 at night.  And then tomorrow is totally impacted because I'll be catching up on all the time sensitive items I didn't get done today (and all the people waiting for phone calls that never came and then they get pissed I'm not getting back to them), which puts off the 6 hour+ project I was gonna do until wednesday and it's just a fucking mess.  Also like 5 potential clients called today expect calls right back and that's like $10,000 right there if I make the calls but I've got no time to get back to them and by tomorrow they might have found a different lawyer.

It's actually just a single case fucking my life up right now.  If it wasn't for this one horribly bad case, I'd be able to manage it all with 50-60 hour weeks.  But one bad litigation case can just create insane amounts of emergencies and workload that sidetrack everything else in your career.  More fun when you're not even getting paid for it because the client is stiffing you and threatening to baselessly sue you at the same time and you still have to do tons of work for them and protect them from the other side that's also fucking you over at every moment possible.  The legal system is slow and it takes a while to get out of a case.  Just gotta make it to the end of the month when hopefully the judge will let me out of this case.  Already like $20,000 in the hole :\  Cost of the doing business.

/work rant done

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2984 on: April 04, 2017, 01:27:04 AM »
Sorry to hear that Bluemax.

Bebpo

« Reply #2985 on: April 04, 2017, 02:21:09 AM »
That sucks bluemax.  But you'll get a better job where bosses don't pull shit like that.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2986 on: April 05, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »
The wife and I have not been able to conceive in almost 8 years of marriage. We had mostly given up, made our peace with it and always figured we would adopt when the time was right. Last week she had some irregular bleeding, took a pregnancy test (3 actually) and yay she was pregnant. She goes to the doctor and they don't find anything, assume she miscarried and took some blood. She had to go back in today because her hcg levels were still higher so it indicated she was still pregnant. The embryo had implanted in a fallopian tube instead of her uterus. They had to give her a shot to terminate the pregnancy.

On one hand we are happy that we know conception is possible, but man... Just a rollercoaster. We almost had our baby and just yeah. Just venting here since I didn't tell anyone IRL yet and don't think I will.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2987 on: April 05, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »
Jeez man, what a wave of emotions to ride -- here's some love :-*

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2988 on: April 05, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »
The wife and I have not been able to conceive in almost 8 years of marriage. We had mostly given up, made our peace with it and always figured we would adopt when the time was right. Last week she had some irregular bleeding, took a pregnancy test (3 actually) and yay she was pregnant. She goes to the doctor and they don't find anything, assume she miscarried and took some blood. She had to go back in today because her hcg levels were still higher so it indicated she was still pregnant. The embryo had implanted in a fallopian tube instead of her uterus. They had to give her a shot to terminate the pregnancy.

On one hand we are happy that we know conception is possible, but man... Just a rollercoaster. We almost had our baby and just yeah. Just venting here since I didn't tell anyone IRL yet and don't think I will.
Man, that sucks Mups. For what it's worth, I have a friend who tried for like 12 years to have kids to no avail then suddenly within 4 years she popped out 3 kids. (of course they're all heavily autistic and her life seems like a living hell having 3 severely autistic kids all under 5, but that's beside the point).
que

Beezy

« Reply #2989 on: April 05, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »
8 years of creampies... :noah

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2990 on: April 05, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
You're going to have a wonderful kid. Just remember this time, how this peacefulness feels before you had that child, keeping you up at 2AM.

I SAID REMEMBER THIS TIME OF PEACE YOU FOOL.
rub

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2991 on: April 06, 2017, 01:48:48 AM »
Fucks sake mups :( Glad you can see the silver lining. Hang in there.

Kara

« Reply #2992 on: April 06, 2017, 01:58:58 AM »
Sorry Mupepe, that's a real roller coaster.

@Bebpo: I hear ya, do any of the other lawyers at your firm notice that you're in a bit too deep at the moment?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2993 on: April 06, 2017, 05:22:29 AM »

Oh, man. I put my head in my hands while reading that. Super rough for both of you. It says a lot that you're both able to find hope in the fact that there was conception.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #2994 on: April 06, 2017, 07:31:40 AM »
Best of luck to you and your wife, hang in there, and before you know it you're on track again.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2995 on: April 06, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »
Thanks for the support guys.  The wife and I talked it out last night and yeah, just the worst thing is knowing that it finally happened and the little one just needed to move a couple of inches to the left and they'd be our little miracle baby (to us anyhow). It does give us hope though and the experience tells us for sure we definitely want it whereas before it was a "if it happens, it happens" type deal. My mom was told she couldn't have children, they adopted my sister and before the paperwork was finalized she was pregnant with my brother. 3 months after he was born she got pregnant with me. So yep, staying hopeful.  Thanks again, everyone.

bluemax

« Reply #2996 on: April 06, 2017, 02:46:29 PM »
If it makes you feel better, my older sister has PCOS and was told by her doctors she would never have a child. Then one day her and her boyfriend discovered, oops! she was pregnant.

Two years ago my sister wanted to have another child, and had multiple miscarriages before giving birth to a healthy baby girl this past year.

Reproduction is weird shit.
NO

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2997 on: April 06, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks, blue.  That's what my wife also has so yeah, that does make me feel better.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2998 on: April 06, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »
Kinda related but kinda not, my cousin and his wife's first child was born several months premature and nearly died. He's had a lot of issues since then and isn't likely to ever be "normal." After talking it over with their doctor, they decided it just wasn't safe for her to get pregnant again, so instead they got her best friend to be a surrogate. She carried their child to term and everything went smoothly. Crazy stuff.
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2999 on: April 07, 2017, 01:20:10 AM »
Thanks, blue.  That's what my wife also has so yeah, that does make me feel better.
That's what my friend with the 3 kids under 5 has as well.
que