Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 534886 times)

Freyj

Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #3060 on: June 01, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
My wife and I are at 4 blessed years without a family vacation. Sometimes they're okay, but inevitable we're playing babysitter for someone's kids or someone wants to change plans last minute or argue about what we're doing every 5 minutes.

Fuck it, see you all at Thanksgiving.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3061 on: June 01, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »
There's a new person on my team that I'm handing a school lead testing side project off to. He's an old timer in the industry and wants all the data tables to be reviewable "at a glance" without using a single drop down arrow.

Me: but you really shouldn't alphabetize all columns in 50x800 sheet so you can read it every time you need to look up something. It just won't be readable scanning line by line.

Him: That's how I prefer to do it. If Marty (CEO) asks me how everything is going, I want to be able to instantly point to it and say.

Me:...he won't ask. Sometimes upper management asks me for an update on how everything is going which is why its better to keep the data structured so functions can tell you...

Him: but it they do...

Me: um.....um.....okay look, your way of trying to find stuff will introduce a lot of time and human error to the processes that you're going to be doing everyday with telling individuals what their deadlines are every week. And it won't help if the Director or CEO does wanna know something because they only care if a single deadline is missed. Come on let's go back to making a pivot table and I can show you how to do this stuff instantly.

This went for 15 minutes. I'm gonna start taking on other projects so I don't become an excel babysitter. This is what happens when you just hire the person with the most seniority.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3062 on: June 01, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
hehehehe  Sounds like a normal day at my job.  "Mupepe, can you build me this report?"  "Sure!  Here you go."  "Great.  Now can you get rid of your useful summaries and destroy my eyes with data?"   :doge

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3063 on: June 01, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
Told my manager I could stay on PRN after residency ends this month to help out since we're short a position. Was thinking I could chill and work like 1-2 shifts a week

Now someone else is leaving, so I got scheduled for more hours than a full time employee.

So much for chilling
dur

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3064 on: June 02, 2017, 01:00:09 PM »
I'm awake at 2AM because a mosquito managed to bite each fucking hand three fucking times, and typing right now feels like it's engaging ALL THE FUCKING NERVES in them. The reason this is a struggle and not an inconvenience is it's not even summer here yet, the rainy season has barely begun, and these fucking things are already finding their way in my home with regularity.

I've got a 9AM meeting to go over a mess of technical details on my current project, followed by a bunch of finnicky editing, and I just want to fucking sleep, is that so much to fucking ask?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3065 on: June 02, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »

I've got a 9AM meeting to go over a mess of technical details on my current project, followed by a bunch of finnicky editing, and I just want to fucking sleep, is that so much to fucking ask?

You're complaining about a mild inconvenience in your ability to go to sleep in your comfortable bed in your home just cause a few homeless mosquito needed to get food to survive another day.  I mean, I don't know what time it is over in Japan, but think its time to check your privilege. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3066 on: June 02, 2017, 02:03:06 PM »
Angry Chrono is best Chrono.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3067 on: June 02, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Like the angry father that never beat me. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3068 on: June 04, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »

You're complaining about a mild inconvenience in your ability to go to sleep in your comfortable bed in your home just cause a few homeless mosquito needed to get food to survive another day.  I mean, I don't know what time it is over in Japan, but think its time to check your privilege.
Like the angry father that never beat me.

I'm going to come over there and make you eat cold poutine while I drink your whisky.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #3069 on: June 06, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »
One of my best friends died yesterday. It wasn't unexpected because he had all kinds of problems resulting from a genetic vein malformation that paralyzed him 10 years ago, but man it still hurts. At least he isn't in pain anymore.
vin

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3070 on: June 06, 2017, 03:05:47 PM »
sorry dude

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3071 on: June 06, 2017, 03:13:12 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Steve.
©ZH

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3072 on: June 06, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »
Sorry for your loss - I hope he's in peace now. What a terrible thing. :'(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3073 on: June 06, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »
I'm sorry Steve, that sucks!
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3074 on: June 08, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »
That's super rough, Steve. I'm sad for your loss.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3075 on: June 08, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
Sorry, Steve :(

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3076 on: June 08, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
Yikes Mupepe that sounds terrible.

One thing I can't tolerate is people being dicks to workers in the service industry, especially food/restaurant. Throwing a fit over $5 (not to mention having your math be wrong) is pathetic. That driver probably barely makes any money as is.
That's how I felt.  $5 is nothing.  It's not even worth getting worked up over on vacation.  My relaxation is worth more than that.  And then being wrong on top of that.  Great.  It was shameful.

Yelling over five bucks yet willing to let $1000 disappear for the boat reservations. Good on you for stepping up but shame on them for turning the boat around.

One of my best friends died yesterday. It wasn't unexpected because he had all kinds of problems resulting from a genetic vein malformation that paralyzed him 10 years ago, but man it still hurts. At least he isn't in pain anymore.

A friend of mine I loved so much that I always called my uncle was paralyzed after a drunken dive into a three foot pool. He died maybe 15 years ago but he was my best friend. He helped me through some difficult times and really dragged me out of some terrible personal situations. We had very candid conversations about the state of his life and he was ultimately happy because he had time to read, meditate, and contemplate, but mostly he was appreciative of his friends. You're a good guy for being his friend in the face of his adversity. I am very sorry you lost your friend.
rub

Bebpo

« Reply #3077 on: June 21, 2017, 01:48:19 AM »
Procedure today went well, in recovery. In so much pain. This is the second most pain I've been in, in decades. Tylenol is just kicking in so I can move, hopefully I'll be able to sleep and tomorrow the pain will be gone, but boys & girls if someone wants to inflate balloons in your little gut and throw a knife party DO NOT DO THIS  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Went to Mcdonalds across the street earlier and got a strawberry banana smoothie I'm sipping and if you've seen wolf of wall street where Leo's slumping try to get to his car, that was sorta me but less extreme since I could drive, but getting there and back was like a hike.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3078 on: June 21, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
 :'(

Does ice and videogames help?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3079 on: June 21, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
Feel better, Bebpo :(

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3080 on: June 21, 2017, 11:37:56 AM »
Get well soon! Eat all the ice cream you can.

Bebpo

« Reply #3081 on: June 21, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »
Thanks everyone! Feeling a lot better today, pain is like 1/4th from last night so it just feels like someone threw a bowling ball at hit me in the gut. At this rate the pain should be gone by tomorrow. Napping a lot today  :zzz

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3082 on: June 21, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »
If youd like me to call and sing to you just give me the word, good buddy.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3083 on: June 22, 2017, 03:58:35 AM »
That fucking heatwave.
ὕβρις

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3084 on: June 22, 2017, 08:26:31 AM »
Not helped by people who don't know to keep the fucking windows closed during the day. It's as if they think cold air spontaneously forms around an open window. :picard

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3085 on: June 22, 2017, 08:50:30 AM »
Air conditioning etiquette should be a formal class taught in highschool 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3086 on: June 22, 2017, 06:26:47 PM »
Air conditioning etiquette should be a formal class taught in highschool

I'd say go for it being added to Home Economics, along with an addition of the evils of credit cards, and the need to maintain zero debt on them.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3087 on: June 22, 2017, 07:56:37 PM »
This band is from my home province

lyrics are on point

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3088 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:19 PM »
That is my nightmare. Hope they turn up.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3089 on: June 30, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
I got your keys

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3090 on: July 03, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »
Had an eye appointment earlier today. I was in the waiting room with two other people: a cute college aged girl and a disheveled neckbeard. I'm pretty sure he was a wizard. The young chick was reading something on her kindle...

Wizard: Hi, I'm Will. What are you reading?
Girl: Oh hi. Harry Potter & The Cursed Child
Wizard: Oh, I heard it was shite [not shit, he literally said "shite"]
Girl: *nervous giggle* I kinda like it. But not as much as the other books
Wizard: Yea. Have you read Game Of Thrones?
Girl: No but my brother watches the show. I haven't seen it
Wizard: Have you read The Hunger Games?
Girl: I saw the movies but haven't read the books
Wizard: Cool. Yea. Have you read Outlander?
Girl: I don't know what that is *laughs*

I shit you not, he asked her about 4-5 more books before she was called into the back for her appointment. At that point he looked at me and said "I tried." I was pulling a MAF at the time, ie pretending to do shit on my phone, but I looked up and
 :idont

(Image removed from quote.)
I suppose he deserves some credit for actually talking to a girl, but still..

He clearly sensed the Grand Wizard.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3091 on: July 06, 2017, 07:46:34 PM »
I've been doing my PhD full time and working 2 days a week at a start up.  I'm exhausted. 

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3092 on: July 06, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »
Ha, the blessed years of the PhD. How I miss thee.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #3093 on: July 07, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
This band is from my home province

lyrics are on point

I just discovered these guys a month or so ago.  I don't usually go for "country" sounding bands, but i dig them.
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3094 on: July 07, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »
 Same, well I just discovered the Americana genera as a whole and really like it

Huff

« Reply #3095 on: July 07, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
Drive-by Truckers was/is a group I've always been a big fan of in Americana, although I don't listen to the genre all that much
dur

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3096 on: July 07, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »
Anxiety is killing me right now.  Just chickened out of going to a meeting I should be going to.  Fuck. 

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3097 on: July 07, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
Anxiety is a real bitch, especially in social situations.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #3098 on: July 07, 2017, 12:00:54 PM »
Anxiety is killing me right now.  Just chickened out of going to a meeting I should be going to.  Fuck.

I do this far too often

---

Girlfriend still having a rough time finding work and is massively depressed.  Which in turn makes me depressed.   :'(
püp

Huff

« Reply #3099 on: July 07, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
I on the otherhand went to a meeting at the hospital on an off day, where no one had reviewed the material/plan, argued over unimportant issues, decided on nothing, and re-scheduled the meeting in two weeks in a day I'll be on vacation (and I'm the lead person on this issue)

Duck it, going to get drunk at a pool
dur

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3100 on: July 07, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
I'm going to a meeting at 3pm but I don't know what it's about yet.  :doge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3101 on: July 07, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »
Dude that's a struggle? Over half my meetings I show up and say, "OK, what's this meeting about?"
que

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3102 on: July 08, 2017, 05:45:14 AM »
Little update for me since I'm drunk now.

Nothing much has changed in my life. Nothing has really improved.

I had a long and hard conversation with my mother. Basically my mother thinks I'm going to end up killing myself. I also at this point think it's inevitable.  I kind of think suicide is a forgone conclusion, it's kind of just a matter of when. It's just next time I probably won't be so public about it.

I stopped going to my therapist, I just felt like I wasn't getting anything out of it and I was wasting my money. I would talk, I guess she would listen. Is that all they do? I guess, I don't know what I wanted. It's like I wanted Prof X to read my mind and give me a run down on what my psychological problems were and what to do. Instead, because of the way I handle people I'm not super comfortable with I feel like I put my best fake genuine mask up. Telling people what they want to hear, but never telling them the super truth. I'm really good at that, so good I don't know how to not do it. Point being I felt like I could never say excactly what would help and I felt like I got nothing out of it.

At this point I don't know I don't know when I'm going to do it, but I know at some point I'm going to do it.  It was nice to feel the support of everyone, but in the end it just made me feel guilty. Did I do it for attention? No, but sometimes I feel like I did. I know some feel like I did. In the end I see how everyone has connections. Their own personal family, sexual and romantic partners, or whatever. People outside of thier mother who validate them. I don't and I don't see me ever achieving that because I myself dont like me. A real chicken and egg syndrome honestly.

In my arguments with my mother it comes down to, killing yourself will ruin people who love you. Yes, I know it will forever effect people especially my mother. But I feel thats a guilt trip. I'm not living for myself then, just so I don't hurt others. It sound bad when you type it out, but it's the truth. I love my nieces, but my life isn't about them.

Raist

« Reply #3103 on: July 08, 2017, 06:29:05 AM »
Dude that's a struggle? Over half my meetings I show up and say, "OK, what's this meeting about?"

I'll add the bosses' "hey so can we meet in like 2h?" type of deals.

Raist

« Reply #3104 on: July 08, 2017, 06:39:56 AM »
Little update for me since I'm drunk now.

Nothing much has changed in my life. Nothing has really improved.

I had a long and hard conversation with my mother. Basically my mother thinks I'm going to end up killing myself. I also at this point think it's inevitable.  I kind of think suicide is a forgone conclusion, it's kind of just a matter of when. It's just next time I probably won't be so public about it.

I stopped going to my therapist, I just felt like I wasn't getting anything out of it and I was wasting my money. I would talk, I guess she would listen. Is that all they do? I guess, I don't know what I wanted. It's like I wanted Prof X to read my mind and give me a run down on what my psychological problems were and what to do. Instead, because of the way I handle people I'm not super comfortable with I feel like I put my best fake genuine mask up. Telling people what they want to hear, but never telling them the super truth. I'm really good at that, so good I don't know how to not do it. Point being I felt like I could never say excactly what would help and I felt like I got nothing out of it.

At this point I don't know I don't know when I'm going to do it, but I know at some point I'm going to do it.  It was nice to feel the support of everyone, but in the end it just made me feel guilty. Did I do it for attention? No, but sometimes I feel like I did. I know some feel like I did. In the end I see how everyone has connections. Their own personal family, sexual and romantic partners, or whatever. People outside of thier mother who validate them. I don't and I don't see me ever achieving that because I myself dont like me. A real chicken and egg syndrome honestly.

In my arguments with my mother it comes down to, killing yourself will ruin people who love you. Yes, I know it will forever effect people especially my mother. But I feel thats a guilt trip. I'm not living for myself then, just so I don't hurt others. It sound bad when you type it out, but it's the truth. I love my nieces, but my life isn't about them.

I've bolded the contradictions - not in a "gotcha" manner mind you, just pointing out stuff you might be oblivious to because of your current mindset.
You also seem to have at least one very good friend (with a difficult type of relation, but still).

As for therapists, yes, that's not really something you'll get out of them, even though it would seem to make sense. Been there done that. All that means is that it's just not for you, not that you're a helpless, lost cause.
Presumably CBT is a little bit more targeted, from what I've heard, because they identify the main issues in your thinking process and/or behaviour, and help you work on that. Maybe look into it. At the end of the day, you'll have people be there on the way, but it will mostly come down to you. And that doesn't mean that it's impossible and "too late" or whatever. Often things just click into place, for whatever reason and out of nowhere.

I don't know if you've been drinking on your own, but seriously try hard to avoid that. Causes more harm than good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3105 on: July 08, 2017, 07:20:04 AM »
+1 for "don't self medicate"

Also agreed that you've got connections to other humans, and you're always free to make whatever choice you want. Take everything one day at a time.

Maybe you don't trust that therapist; no reason you can't try another.

Hang in there, Rahx.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3106 on: July 08, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »

What's worse are the meetings that have no real purpose or direction.  So recently I've been rejecting those invitations, which causes some of them to get flustered.

I feel that these days most of the meetings I attend are "I'm too scared to make a decision so I need a dozen people on the call so that way if my decision is a bad one, the blame can be shared."

Fuck that, grow some balls and take a chance.
🍆🍆

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #3107 on: July 08, 2017, 11:47:28 AM »

I even do this when the meeting is clearly labeled, just to make sure everybody is mentally checked in.
brb

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3108 on: July 08, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
I was just continuing the post combo about meetings. Not a real struggle.  :doge

What's worse are the meetings that have no real purpose or direction.  So recently I've been rejecting those invitations, which causes some of them to get flustered.

I feel that these days most of the meetings I attend are "I'm too scared to make a decision so I need a dozen people on the call so that way if my decision is a bad one, the blame can be shared."

Those are the fucking worst.  >:(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3109 on: July 08, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »

Oh I was once like that. But I've accepted it's just never gong to stop. So I just take my laptop and I'll work on the tedious stuff or surf during the meetings and all that.  If someone asks me a question I tune back in, ask them to please repeat the question, give them an answer then check back out.
que

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3110 on: July 08, 2017, 11:06:07 PM »
My mother in law came to visit -- and drove her car into a ditch and somehow up over a boulder. Just spent the last couple hours jacking it up, taking off her tire, digging out the boulder (200lbs easy) and putting it all back together to get her out of my hair :lol just dripping in sweat and mud right now. Time to get high in the shower and hope she leaves by the time I'm out

Freyj

« Reply #3111 on: July 09, 2017, 12:46:20 AM »
I've yet to find a dev job that wasn't awful at onboarding and this new one isn't any exception to that rule.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3112 on: July 11, 2017, 03:15:11 AM »
Father in law got diagnosed with cancer.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3113 on: July 11, 2017, 03:30:00 AM »

Fuck. Best of luck with the treatment.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3114 on: July 11, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
thx

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3115 on: July 13, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »

Sad to hear that. Cancer is a fucker.

Oblivion

« Reply #3116 on: July 15, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
I completely borked an interview at a major game developer that I was trying to get into for literally over a decade.  :-\

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3117 on: July 15, 2017, 09:06:38 AM »
sucks dude

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3118 on: July 15, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »
Shit, sorry to hear that.

What went wrong?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3119 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »
Was if just nervous jitters or did something happen that made you look incompetent? A good interviewer should be able to look past jitters.