Author Topic: FALLOUT 4  (Read 65884 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: FALLOUT 4
« Reply #300 on: November 14, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
Can't seem to mod my weapons for shit because I'm missing a bunch of parts (where the fuck are all the gawdammed scrws?!?!?!?!)

Pick up random junk like telephones, alarm clocks, and other mechanical gadgets.

Also, get Scavenger perk and then scrap all the useless guns you pick up off raiders.
dog

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #301 on: November 14, 2015, 12:28:12 PM »
I just came across suicide mole rats with frag mines strapped to their backs.  :lol
MMA

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »

This can also cause a glitch where you can get stuck after hacking a terminal. I don't think they will ever fix their engine so it doesn't just end up feeling like a hack piece.

I enjoy the game and Bethesda games in general but the term "eurojank" doesn't make much sense when you have Bethesda around.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #303 on: November 16, 2015, 01:44:46 AM »
i have been blessed enough to be single and unemployed this week so i've been doing nothing but getting stoned, listening to the new grimes and young thug on repeat, and playing this. all i wanted was fallout 3.5 and that's exactly what i got

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #304 on: November 16, 2015, 03:49:50 AM »
I'm enjoying this game, made it to level 9 somehow.

That said it is really disappointing what little to none progress Bethesda is making in between games. The dialogue is bad, so is the story, and technically the game is janky. Bad framerates (think swamp area in Witcher 3 or worse) indoors in places.

There is something compelling and addicting of course about exploring the wasteland, but underneath that addiction is a mediocre game so far.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: November 16, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
For me, the most welcome change is the way that urban environments are handled. In Fallout 3, DC was chopped up in to small sections. In New Vegas, Vegas was small and kinda disappointing overall. But in Fallout 4, you have wide open urban environments with tall skyscrapers and narrow streets. There are so many locations to find and the scale of it is just almost overwhelming. I love the feeling I get when I'm exploring around in Cambridge and outer Boston.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »
Oh man I havent been to Diamond City yet but that sounds great, will try to visit tonight

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
Oh man I havent been to Diamond City yet but that sounds great, will try to visit tonight

I haven't even gone there yet either! Really looking forward to that, but I'm not in any hurry to get there because I'm having fun just filling out the map right now.
dog

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2015, 01:33:07 PM »

Shits on the dialogue and story in Fallout 4, but hasn't even met
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nick Valentine
[close]
yet. :dead

I know filling out the map is rewarding, but get to Diamond City brehs.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
Midway (I assume) spoiler (a few main quests past diamond city for those who aren't there yet):

When you track Kellog to his hideout, and kill him.  Then exit the building to see the motherfucking Brotherhood of Steel giant-ass airship cruise into town, announcing their arrival to the Commonwealth and that shit is hereby about to go down.
[close]

:lawd

Get to that moment and tell me the story in this game sucks.
MMA

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
People complaining about story in games

:neogaf

I can count on one hand the number of games in the past ten years with anything resembling a "good" or complex story, and they're Fallout New Vegas and Witcher 3. Just ignore it, you turds.
yar

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »

I can count on one hand the number of games in the past ten years with anything resembling a "good" or complex story, and they're Fallout New Vegas and Witcher 3. Just ignore it, you turds.
I'm just in the habit of ignoring stories in video games. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #312 on: November 16, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »
Only thing I'm disappointed in is that the speech options are so basic.

"Hey, do this thing."
Yes
No
Maybe
Sarcastic

I wanna do more Jedi Mind Tricks Charisma checks.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #313 on: November 16, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »

^^^ Pretty much this. I only notice story in video games in one of two instances:

1) It is incredibly, amazingly bad and intrusive into the gameplay, even by video game standards (the "Metal Gear Solid 2" scneario)
2) It is shockingly, improbably not awful and intelligence insulting (the Witcher 3 scneario)

The first thing happens way, way more often than the 2nd, and far more frequently in eastern games than western ones, despite the lies people here tell themselves.
yar

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #314 on: November 16, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »

"Hey, do this thing."
Yes
No
Maybe
Sarcastic

Agreed.  Player dialogue options are lame as hell.
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #315 on: November 16, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »

"Hey, do this thing."
Yes
No
Maybe
Sarcastic

They're all yes anyways :fbm

^^^ Pretty much this. I only notice story in video games in one of two instances:

1) It is incredibly, amazingly bad and intrusive into the gameplay, even by video game standards (the "Metal Gear Solid 2" scneario)
2) It is shockingly, improbably not awful and intelligence insulting (the Witcher 3 scneario)

The first thing happens way, way more often than the 2nd, and far more frequently in eastern games than western ones, despite the lies people here tell themselves.
Yep.  I will add a #3 though...

3) I have to reload a save to pay attention to a story because it told me what I needed to do next and I was clueless

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #316 on: November 16, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
The story in Witcher 3 was pretty dumb, it just happened to be well integrated into the actual game (same with New Vegas).
vin

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
The story in Witcher 3 was pretty dumb, it just happened to be well integrated into the actual game (same with New Vegas).

Yeah, but for video game standards that's "good"
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #318 on: November 16, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »
Rather than talking about specifics which is basically a trap I think it mainly comes down to people being overly defensive or overly aggressive when it comes to talking about the games they are playing. (Not necessarily on the bore but sometimes it does filter over).

You can like Fallout 4 a lot and still think its flawed in a myriad of different ways. It's not a conversation in absolutes.

There are times when I'm playing Fallout 4 and its absolutely amazing. And there are other times where I'm like you lazy motherfuckers. I think that's the Bethesda way and those moments can often come back to back.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:34:15 PM by Stoney Mason »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #319 on: November 16, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
I'd agree, but I'm just way more forgiving I guess when I'm playing a big open world sandbox like this. I also think it might have something to do with the fact that I am, and have always been, just an end consumer in this industry while if I remember correctly you might have worked in it at some point, so some things that I am willing to forgive as "well, this is just the way things are" you probably see as "this could be fixed if they just put in the effort."

yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #320 on: November 16, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
I roughly share your opinion. I mean yeah, Fallout 4 is janky, but its not like there are 20 other games out there doing this. It's basically them and nobody else. I can bitch and carp at them but honestly who else is delivering these type of games (and if anybody says Dark Souls, fuck you!) and when it comes down to it, I'm having a lot of fun.

I think sometimes people overthink their fun. It's either fun or not. And because something is flawed doesn't also mean its not a super enjoyable game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: November 16, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »
I like that in Fallout 4 instead of constantly looking for cool guns and armor, I'm searching every shack and cabinet for telephones and hot plates.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #322 on: November 16, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »
I like that in Fallout 4 instead of constantly looking for cool guns and armor, I'm searching every shack and cabinet for telephones and hot plates.

lol I also like that.

I like that its about the scavenging and then you making the stuff rather than just finding the stuff. That's a more interesting way to do loot.

I make double runs on dungeons that I've looted because I can never carry enough material out on the first run. And I really like that. It makes the world feel like its full of useful stuff where as in Fallout 3 and New Vegas unmodded, I basically only looked for a few items that were worthwhile and that was mostly to sell them. I remember always gathering cartons of cigs in the other games just to sell them.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #323 on: November 16, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »

lol I also like that.

I like that its about the scavenging and then you making the stuff rather than just finding the stuff. That's a more interesting way to do loot.

I make double runs on dungeons that I've looted because I can never carry enough material out on the first run. And I really like that. It makes the world feel like its full of useful stuff where as in Fallout 3 and New Vegas unmodded, I basically only looked for a few items that were worthwhile and that was mostly to sell them. I remember always gathering cartons of cigs in the other games just to sell them.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas just made me feel like a hobo because I only did this kind of scavenging when I was absolutely broke.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »
I highly recommend crafting a decent pipe rifle. I've got one with good accuracy (put a scope on it) and upped the damage to 19. You get so much .38 ammo compared to everything else that it's really worth it to be able to use it in a decent gun.
yar

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #325 on: November 17, 2015, 03:29:54 AM »
Getting disappointed with Fallout 4s limited dialogue choices of 1) Yes 2) No 3) Maybe 4) Fuck Off. Not very much room to role play, except as a doormat or a curmudgeon

Everything else in the game is fine with me. It's just the dialogue feels so restrictive it's making me miss New Vegas.
itm

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #326 on: November 17, 2015, 03:55:08 AM »
Killed some synths last night, energy weapons seem to do more dmg? It would be cool if you can become a synth.

This is a good point, and it was written ok.

Maybe what I was trying to say is that the exposition in Falllout 4 isnt so good.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #327 on: November 17, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
Switching the Shadow distance from High to Medium took the game from locked 30fps to locked 60fps lmao
nat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #328 on: November 17, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »
I've got everything set to high and the lowest my fps has dipped is to 55 a couple times.
yar

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #329 on: November 17, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »
I highly recommend crafting a decent pipe rifle. I've got one with good accuracy (put a scope on it) and upped the damage to 19. You get so much .38 ammo compared to everything else that it's really worth it to be able to use it in a decent gun.

Yeah, I have an auto pipe rifle modded to the max.  It's my go-to weapon for standard-to-lower-level enemies.

Now, a lot of people are saying the story sucks. For me, here's the thing: I am General of the Minutemen. I'm the most valuable agent in the Brotherhood of Steel. I have five active settlements all trading with each other, generating levels of commerce not seen in the wasteland for a century. I have a walled fortress in Sanctuary with artillery turrets, as well as a castle on the sea. I'm in the process of building a floating city.

I had only really spent time building up Sanctuary when it comes to settlements.

But I had also held off on the Minutemen quest where you take back
Castle
[close]
until last night.   

So now
I am obsessed with building it up as well.  I've already walled off all the damaged gaps in the walls, so that there's only two gated ways in or out of the fortress.  I think I am going to invest the effort into making it my main "home base" even over Sanctuary.
[close]
MMA

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #330 on: November 17, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »
Sanctuary got attacked for the first time in my game... wasn't there but showed up and a bunch of shit was broken, needing repair and burning precious gears  :maf

THEN, after I fixed everything another wave of these fuckers showed up and busted up another machine gun turret. After that I walled off the important parts of the town and built two more machine gun turrets at the main entry choke point. Fuck a bunch of assholes showing up and wrecking my generators and shit.
yar

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #331 on: November 17, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
I have like 50 hours logged and I can count on one hand the amount of times my settlements have been attacked :/

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: November 17, 2015, 09:58:41 PM »
33 hours and only one settlement got attacked, it was just a few raider mooks with pistols, too.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #333 on: November 17, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »
My places have been attacked less than a half dozen times but thank goodness. That shit would get annoying if I had to constantly babysit against raider attacks when I'm trying to do quests.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #334 on: November 17, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »
35 hours in, level 29.

Sanctuary has only been attacked once, early on, by two piddly-ass Raiders who were barely worth my time.

On the other hand, settlements that I don't give a crap about and haven't developed (I prob have over a dozen on paper) are constantly being attacked, by raiders and Gunners.

However, (BoS and Minutemen talk):
My artillery cannon at Castle shot down a BoS vertibird that flew too close.  Which is...awkward as both the General of the Minutemen, AND a knight in the BoS.....
[close]
MMA

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #335 on: November 18, 2015, 01:08:48 AM »
I need to build a gaming PC.
Same. There's a Fry's near me too. C'mon Black Friday deals.
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #336 on: November 18, 2015, 01:19:08 AM »
I read somewhere that if your settlement's defense is higher than it's food/water, then it won't get attacked. Or maybe it just won't get attacked very often.
©@©™

Mods Help

« Reply #337 on: November 18, 2015, 01:44:07 AM »
The "lol stories in games" would be a pretty good argument if the Fallout franchise hadn't been previously known for its well written stories.

Saying "the story is bad, but that's expected" isn't really any argument at all. Given Fallout's previous penchant for witty writing and stories, I'm not exactly sure why settling is seen as a good thing? You can say that it's expected because it's Bethesda. But when your entire premise is "lol people playing games for stories" in a series that traditionally had been well written, I find that pretty silly. Plus, as an RPG (is the game even an rpg anymore? You can't role play between Insane Person and Girl/Boy Scout, also no skills) there's kind of an expectation for there to be a good story in there somewhere.

You can have low expectations for game stories, but acting like it's not a legitimate complaint that the story sucks is kind of delusional and overly defensive.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #338 on: November 18, 2015, 02:11:47 AM »
Expecting Black Isle/Obsidian to produce a good story (for a video game) is a perfectly legitimate expectation to have.

Expecting it of Bethesda...

:comeon

Just because it says "Fallout" on the box doesn't mean there's not a world of difference between the efforts of the two developers. I enjoy Bethesda games for the worlds they let me explore; I enjoy Obsidian games for their stories. Expecting the one you don't normally get from Bethesda is a dumb expectation to have.
yar

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #339 on: November 18, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
I read somewhere that if your settlement's defense is higher than it's food/water, then it won't get attacked. Or maybe it just won't get attacked very often.

Well, that's dumb.   I don't want deter Raiders with my phalanx of heavy machine gun turrets, I want to draw them in and
 cut them to pieces.  :maf
MMA

Mods Help

« Reply #340 on: November 18, 2015, 10:41:26 AM »
Expecting Black Isle/Obsidian to produce a good story (for a video game) is a perfectly legitimate expectation to have.

Expecting it of Bethesda...

:comeon

Just because it says "Fallout" on the box doesn't mean there's not a world of difference between the efforts of the two developers. I enjoy Bethesda games for the worlds they let me explore; I enjoy Obsidian games for their stories. Expecting the one you don't normally get from Bethesda is a dumb expectation to have.

I think you misunderstand.

I have not bought the game for a reason. The aforementioned problems - dialogue system, bad story, limited role playing - were obvious from the initial reveal. You would have to have been completely blind to the hype to not see it.

I'm fully aware, and have kept my expectations in check. I don't find an 100 hour long rpg without a story worth seeing and limited role playing to be worth playing. I'm fine with that.

I never said anyone should expect Bethesda to make a good story.

I basically said, there's no reasonable reason why Bethesda games shouldn't be improving in this area. And there's also no reasonable reason why they should get a pass because "lol its Bethesda" when they release the biggest game of the year. You can have realistic expectations ("Beth can't write") while also holding yourself to a higher standard. I don't see why wanting a higher standard is necessarily wrong either. If Beth isn't really improving their formula, then...:gurl

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #341 on: November 18, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »
Spend 500 words telling people who don't give a fuck why you didn't buy a game, brehs  :doge
YMMV

Mods Help

« Reply #342 on: November 18, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
Writing out 500 words would be too much for you I take it?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #343 on: November 18, 2015, 11:20:52 AM »
The overall execution of the story in Bethesda games tends to be poor but I don't really care. Or more precisely it doesn't ruin the package for me.  The immersion factor is high. It's very easy to place myself in the world and context of the world and feel like I'm a part of it. That's what matters in this specific case for me rather than specific story beats. Would it be better if the story and characterization was better. Yes?

But that's also not examining the other side of the coin and saying whether there are other story games out there that offer this much freedom and also pull me in with their characters and story. For some it was New Vegas. But for me that was definitely not the case. Mass Effect offers a more compelling story and universe but not nearly the freedom. The only game (for me) that offered the complete package was Witcher 3. So I'm not going to overly crap on Fallout 4 when for me only one game out there can really compete with it and offered the complete package that suits my taste. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #344 on: November 18, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »
^^^ Pretty much this. I also knew there were going to be narrative deficiencies going in, and didn't care. Bethesda games scratch an itch that no one else's shit does these days.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #345 on: November 18, 2015, 01:05:27 PM »
For me, Bethesda RPGs have always been more about the immersion into the world and the joy of exploration and discovery. Fallout 4 tries to be somewhat more narrative and character focused this time around, but it doesn't really work out. On the other hand, that really doesn't hurt at all the parts of their games that I've loved since I first played Morrowind nearly 15 years ago. In fact, despite the story and limited player character dialog options, the immersion and exploration are actually a lot better this time around, thanks to an insane amount of locations to explore, the increased emphasis on collecting junk for weapon/armor modding, and the best urban environments in any Bethesda RPG so far.

So, it really just comes down to what you want out of the game. For me, I'm perfectly fine largely ignoring the story and just going off on my own to see what I can find.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #346 on: November 18, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »
Im selling it tonight, think that after giving up on Oblivion and Skyrim this is the last Bethesda rpg I play.

Liked Fallout 3 back in the day and thats it.

Dont feel like putting in 40 more hours into a game im not 100% sold on. Too little playtime for that

Def see what others like about it though

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #347 on: November 18, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »
Bethesda RPGs are great for one, long as fuck playthrough where you do every quest and become an unstoppable force that can do everything. Elder Scrolls a lot less stronger regarding this due to having to find a specific aspect of combat fun, the combat in Fallout 3/4 is way better than combat in Oblivion and Skyrim.

New Vegas isn't like that at all. Its really fun to create a new character, role play as whoever you want to in the game and in your head, fuck around with the faction and reputation systems. New Vegas is about using your own imagination to supplement the immersion, whereas Bethesda provides the immersion but leaves little to no room for imagination. 

I have more fun going for a 100%, do everything playthrough in Bethesda's form of Fallout. Whereas I have a lot more fun role playing and fucking around with stuff, not trying to do everything, in games like New Vegas. 
OH!

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #348 on: November 18, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
Went with this over Battlefront; despite liking multiplayer games, that game is lacking in content.

Game is dope. I only played a little bit of FO3, but this one is so much better in terms of shooting and how guns feel.

Upped the weight limit with the console command because I'd rather not deal with that micromanaging.

Piper is a feisty bish, but my advances failed cuz I'm a drug addict and my charisma is impaired.

Story and dialogue seems serviceable enough for me, but I haven't played many RPGs period, let alone the classic ones.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2015, 04:21:31 PM »

Also I'm not getting the criticism that the story sucks. Does it fall apart at the end or something? It's been fine so far, good even.

Lager was bitching about the story before even bothering to get to Diamond City.  He's full of it.

Better than New Vegas' bullshit.

No.
MMA

Mods Help

« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2015, 05:47:12 PM »
For me, Bethesda RPGs have always been more about the immersion into the world and the joy of exploration and discovery. Fallout 4 tries to be somewhat more narrative and character focused this time around, but it doesn't really work out. On the other hand, that really doesn't hurt at all the parts of their games that I've loved since I first played Morrowind nearly 15 years ago. In fact, despite the story and limited player character dialog options, the immersion and exploration are actually a lot better this time around, thanks to an insane amount of locations to explore, the increased emphasis on collecting junk for weapon/armor modding, and the best urban environments in any Bethesda RPG so far.

So, it really just comes down to what you want out of the game. For me, I'm perfectly fine largely ignoring the story and just going off on my own to see what I can find.

I can understand this.

After so many games of theirs I'm not sure I can find their titles immersive anymore, especially given their knack for making entire game worlds that exist purely for your character to flex their savior complex. I can get the appeal, but simply not for me. Thankfully there's alternatives like Divinity: OS.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2015, 06:02:07 PM »
I just came across suicide mole rats with frag mines strapped to their backs.  :lol
Ah, that old gambit:

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2015, 08:15:59 PM »
babies suck compared to loot anyway
pcp

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2015, 08:49:35 PM »

Well, that's dumb.   I don't want deter Raiders with my phalanx of heavy machine gun turrets, I want to draw them in and
 cut them to pieces.  :maf

Draw them in? Into a trap? I think there's a word for that.

Hampsterdam
[close]

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
Tried this game.

Bioware would have done a better job. This is not a compliment to bioware either.

I mean no offense to all of you who like it but they literally took the soul of this series and boiled it.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2015, 11:43:35 PM »
That's a good thing, though- that boiled soul can be scrapped for leather and used in armor mods.
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #356 on: November 20, 2015, 01:34:59 AM »
Lol

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #357 on: November 20, 2015, 12:39:53 PM »
Patch next week apparently: PC master race gets to eat first, dirtpeople second as God intended

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/19/9764504/fallout-4-patches-pc-ps4-xbox-one
yar

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #358 on: November 20, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »
I need a noodle bot companion mod asap

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #359 on: November 20, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
Ughhhh I should just buy a fucking gaming rig and get it over with