Author Topic: Dragon Ball Thread - RIP sensei  (Read 44399 times)

Himu

Re: Dragon Ball Super Thread - it only took twenty years
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2015, 02:08:40 AM »
For Shaka in case he's never seen the original DBZ opening which is top 5 tier because the Kai OP sucks balls.

The bumpers suck compared to the original too.

Another thing missing from Kai are character based themes. Piccolo, for instance, has lost his iconic :lawd theme:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:12:51 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2015, 02:14:01 AM »
Dragon Soul (Mignona) > Head Cha-La

:patel

Himu

« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2015, 02:15:45 AM »
No.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:39 AM »
:yeshrug Nostalgia is a bitch.

Himu

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2015, 02:37:50 AM »
Cha La Head Cha La op has much better animation, is more charming, and much more badass. I skip Kai's OP every time. Super's OP sucks too. As did the new Sailor Moon.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2015, 02:39:22 AM »
Sounds like you're just not giving it a chance.

Himu

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2015, 02:40:50 AM »
A large part of the reason I love Cha La is the animation. I don't like digital animation that looks like Super or Kai's op's. It always looks cheap and awful to me. Plus it has none of Cha La's charm. :yeshrug
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2015, 02:43:37 AM »
Cha La's scenes don't even make any sense. And they're decent animation in that 80's Toei way but meh.

And in any case, I was more talking about the songs themselves. The final "SPARKING" of Cha-La is total :trash. Bleh. Dragon Soul is hype all the way through.

Tasty

« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2015, 02:45:11 AM »
Also if you don't like the digital animation of Kai or Super's OPs, why the fuck are you watching Super. :lol

« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2015, 02:47:05 AM »
I like all of them. Even the new version of Chala made for Battle of the Gods.  :yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2015, 02:50:45 AM »
Also if you don't like the digital animation of Kai or Super's OPs, why the fuck are you watching Super. :lol

Super actually looks really good despite being digital. I don't dislike all digital, by the way. Super has the benefit of having painted backgrounds even if the characters are two tones and the overall tint is too clean. Toei could very well cheap out on it like they have with One Piece, so that worries me, so we'll see. Digital is fine; it's like any other medium. The problem is sacrificing artistic quality and merit and talent for cash by saving it with digital. Cheap digital looks like :trash

And I too like the Cha La Head Cha La on BoG.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2015, 08:24:06 AM »
Dragon Soul (Mignona) > Head Cha-La

:patel

No.

:yeshrug Nostalgia is a bitch.

No.

Cha La Head Cha La op has much better animation, is more charming, and much more badass. I skip Kai's OP every time. Super's OP sucks too. As did the new Sailor Moon.

Yes.

Anyway, my problem with this show isn't stuff I don't care that much about, like opening animations (I skip that shit after seeing it once), but the show's insanely-slow pacing, which is hilarious after they addressed pacing and filler issues with Kai.   :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38:43 AM »
Also what is up with King Kai's voice actor?  He always sounds so monotone.  The character will be yelling and he still voices him like he's totally calm.   :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »
King Kai's vo is in his 80's and sick.

I have no problem with DBS pacing so far. Give it time. If they haven't beaten Beerus by episode 20, then go ahead. :lol
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2015, 02:47:08 PM »
King Kai's vo is in his 80's and sick.

Time for a replacement.

I have no problem with DBS pacing so far. Give it time. If they haven't beaten Beerus by episode 20, then go ahead. :lol

Beaten Beerus?  They haven't even started fighting yet, lol.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »
It takes a while to get to the fight in BoG, and I don't see the fight lasting that long, so I'm not sure why you would expect them to fight, or for Super to follow the same formula of Z. DBZ is all fights pretty much all the time, for the most part. The first episode of DB Super has made it clear that this is not Z and has a more character oriented storytelling compared to it rather than focusing entirely on fighting. I'm fine with that.

The show is not called Dragon Ball Z. It is called Dragon Ball Super. Just because something is Dragon Ball related doesn't mean it has to be like Z, or Dragon Ball, for that matter.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »
It takes a while to get to the fight in BoG, and I don't see the fight lasting that long, so I'm not sure why you would expect them to fight, or for Super to follow the same formula of Z. DBZ is all fights pretty much all the time, for the most part. The first episode of DB Super has made it clear that this is not Z and has a more character oriented storytelling compared to it rather than focusing entirely on fighting. I'm fine with that.

The show is not called Dragon Ball Z. It is called Dragon Ball Super. Just because something is Dragon Ball related doesn't mean it has to be like Z, or Dragon Ball, for that matter.

LOL if you really think it's not going to end up just like DBZ.  Nothing about the first episode of Super made anything more clear other than the fact that they are going to take a movie storyline and it drag the fuck out.  Then they are going to take the next movie storyline and drag it the fuck out.  Then we will finally get something original.  Maybe.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2015, 03:17:38 PM »

That worked so well for GT :teehee

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2015, 03:32:05 PM »

:whew

...Which went right back to the DBZ formula after what...18 episodes?   :lol
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
Pretty much. :lol Though if you mix a formula with shit, and the shit constitutes more than 50% of the resulting fecal concoction... is it still fair to say it's the "DBZ formula"?

Himu

« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »

GT sucked not because of what I said, but because the characterization and everything about it was shit. Super doesn't have that problem at all yet.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
WATCH ARSLAN FUCK THE DRAGONBALLS MAKE HIM HUMBLE
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »

GT sucked not because of what I said, but because the characterization and everything about it was shit. Super doesn't have that problem at all yet.

Super, so far (I have not watched yesterday's episode yet), has been nothing but the kind of 'filler' stuff people complained about in the Z anime episodes.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2015, 03:58:31 PM »
DBZ actually had good filler beyond Garlic Jr crap. Driving test stuff, Gohan's dinosaur, Pikkon, I've always liked that stuff. :yeshrug
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
People always remember the good filler but forget about the bad. Fake Namek... *shudders*

Also it's easy to have fond memories of filler out of context but when you're waiting ages for new DBZ eps and it finally gets rolling and then there's filler, no matter how good it is you'll still want to tear your hair out and shout "GET ON WITH IT!"

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »
DBZ actually had good filler beyond Garlic Jr crap. Driving test stuff, Gohan's dinosaur, Pikkon, I've always liked that stuff. :yeshrug

Sure, some of that stuff was fun.  I don't need a new series to start with that, though.  One episode was enough...not 3-4 of them.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »
People always remember the good filler but forget about the bad. Fake Namek... *shudders*

Also it's easy to have fond memories of filler out of context but when you're waiting ages for new DBZ eps and it finally gets rolling and then there's filler, no matter how good it is you'll still want to tear your hair out and shout "GET ON WITH IT!"

My favorite bad filler was from GT- right in the middle of the "Great Monkey Baby" arc, where Baby possessed Vegeta, enslaved the entire world and turned the population against Goku, and made Vegeta's body turn into a giant golden super-saiyan ape...Goku is sent to some weird dimension where he has to play a comical human board game before escaping.  This lasted 2-3 episodes and was just like WTF WHY IS THIS HERE before returning back to the story. 
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »
I thought the Goku driving stuff was funny. Bummed that it was removed from Kai

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »
And LOL, there was no episode this week.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »

Fake Namek sucked, but it's also an exception. DBZ didn't have that much filler.

Also what you described didn't really happen with me except for the Garlic Jr episodes, which as said, were awful. Garlic Jr Saga happened in between Freeza and Android, which is why it was so fucking awful. It is the lone exception in the series. Also, fake Namek lasts only one episode. The rest of DBZ's filler is pretty fun.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »

Sure, some of that stuff was fun.  I don't need a new series to start with that, though.  One episode was enough...not 3-4 of them.

3 or 4 of them seems like a stretch. Episode 3 didn't have any filler at all and Beerus will likely be there next episode.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2015, 04:30:12 PM »

3 or 4 of them seems like a stretch. Episode 3 didn't have any filler at all and Beerus will likely be there next episode.

:what
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »

Fake Namek sucked, but it's also an exception. DBZ didn't have that much filler.

Also what you described didn't really happen with me except for the Garlic Jr episodes, which as said, were awful. Garlic Jr Saga happened in between Freeza and Android, which is why it was so fucking awful. It is the lone exception in the series. Also, fake Namek lasts only one episode. The rest of DBZ's filler is pretty fun.

Fake Namek plus the invisible spaceship were five and a half straight episodes. :lol

And I don't know how you can say "DBZ didn't have that much filler" when Kai cut 194 episodes into 100. :lol

Vegeta and Nappa's stop on Arlia? Filler.

Princess Snake? Filler.

Hell/HFIL? Filler.

Bulma has like two episodes of hijinks on Namek. Filler.

And I haven't even gotten past Freeza yet. None of this was "good" filler either, just fucking annoying with weak writing, plodding pace, and shoddy Toei animation.

But please, keep defending those three half-decent episodes of filler. ::)

Himu

« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »

:what

1. They established who is Beerus via the Supreme Kai
2. They established that Beerus' premonition was correct and that the remaining Saiyan's are on Earth, and that the Saiyan that killed Freeza is on King Kai's planet.
3. They established Vegeta training.
4. Everyone else is at Bulma's birthday event.
5. Beerus is heading towards Goku RIGHT NOW.

None of this is filler. ???

All of this pertains to the story. Filler is dragging out story with non-story related details, all of this is relevant to the story. The only reason you deem it filler is because it's a retelling of Battle of Gods and you've already seen that. So it's not new content to you. If you have a problem with retelling the movies, you should probably wait till the show is on episode 40 or 50 or something and then watch because you won't be happy watching it at all as it is now.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »

Fake Namek plus the invisible spaceship were five and a half straight episodes. :lol

And I don't know how you can say "DBZ didn't have that much filler" when Kai cut 194 episodes into 100. :lol

Vegeta and Nappa's stop on Arlia? Filler.

Princess Snake? Filler.

Hell/HFIL? Filler.

Bulma has like two episodes of hijinks on Namek. Filler.

And I haven't even gotten past Freeza yet. None of this was "good" filler either, just fucking annoying with weak writing, plodding pace, and shoddy Toei animation.

But please, keep defending those three half-decent episodes of filler. ::)

Hmmm, you're right. I haven't seen the original Z in ten years. :obama So my head is definitely iffy on the details. The fake Namek thing was 5 eps? I thought it was 1. :lol
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2015, 04:44:24 PM »
There were basically two "fake Nameks" and it was goddamn torture. Whenever I attempted to get through my orange brick sets that's always where I'd just tap out. :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2015, 04:58:57 PM »

2. They established that Beerus' premonition was correct and that the remaining Saiyan's are on Earth, and that the Saiyan that killed Freeza is on King Kai's planet.

All of this pertains to the story. Filler is dragging out story with non-story related details, all of this is relevant to the story. The only reason you deem it filler is because it's a retelling of Battle of Gods and you've already seen that. So it's not new content to you. If you have a problem with retelling the movies, you should probably wait till the show is on episode 40 or 50 or something and then watch because you won't be happy watching it at all as it is now.

All of that is filler,or stuff from previous eps Himu.  :lol. They could have easily have condensed the first three episodes into two, if not one show.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »

There were basically two "fake Nameks" and it was goddamn torture. Whenever I attempted to get through my orange brick sets that's always where I'd just tap out. :lol

There were two!?  Don't remember that.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2015, 05:04:43 PM »

There were two!?  Don't remember that.

http://www.dragonballencyclopedia.com/qdb/Mirror_Spaceship

I lump them together but I guess it's a misnomer to say it was another fake Namek.

Himu

« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2015, 05:18:42 PM »

All of that is filler,or stuff from previous eps Himu.  :lol. They could have easily have condensed the first three episodes into two, if not one show.

None of that is filler. They could have condensed it, but that doesn't make it filler. Dragged out maybe. But filler? No.
IYKYK

dkdk

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »
folks are ODing on calling everything filler these days.

Beezy

« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:44 PM »
Is there a site where I can watch the original Dragonball or do I have to go the other route? I only remember reading the early parts of the manga when I was younger.

Himu

« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:42 PM »
Is there a site where I can watch the original Dragonball or do I have to go the other route? I only remember reading the early parts of the manga when I was younger.

hulu
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #162 on: July 27, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
Thanks. Skimming through the "Yamcha got killed by a Saibaman -_-" thread at gaf and it has me wanting to get into all things Dragonball again.

Himu

« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2015, 09:09:20 PM »
link to saibaman thread :lol
IYKYK

Beezy

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »
Bulma is such a great character.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »

:rofl
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »

CAT LOVES FOOD

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAHHHHH

:piss original Funi dub :piss2

:rofl
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2015, 10:31:43 PM »
Anyone else kinda get turned on by the sucking sound cell makes when he is draining piccolo? 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2015, 11:32:13 PM »
Vegeta is such a bitch.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:57 AM »

None of that is filler. They could have condensed it, but that doesn't make it filler. Dragged out maybe. But filler? No.

Dragged out...exactly...otherwise known as filler.   :P
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »
Krillin is so lonely he'd risk the word because a machine kissed him.   SMH

Tasty

« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »

Yeah, but to be fair... 18 is bangin'.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »
Vegeta is super lame.  He's like 'Ok I'm sick of getting my ass kicked, therefor I'm going to go kick some ass.' and then 2 episodes later, 'O I got my ass kicked.  I'm so frustrated, therefor I'm going to go kick some ass.'

Himu

« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »

I truly feel that Toriyama is awful at romance. I mean, the obvious match ups for the characters are:

Goku - Bulma. Chichi doesn't work out and having the strongest dude in the world have a wife like her makes no sense and isn't really entertaining. Bulma doesn't care about Vegeta's training at all because she accepts him for who she is while Chichi never really does.

On the other hand, Krillin with Chichi makes perfect sense. Krillin is a pushover when it comes to stuff like that so him not being able to practice martial arts because he needs to be a family man makes perfect sense.

Vegeta can hook up with Android. She doesn't give a fuck is he's training all day, and she kicked his ass so she'd have his respect as a warrior.

Vegeta is super lame.  He's like 'Ok I'm sick of getting my ass kicked, therefor I'm going to go kick some ass.' and then 2 episodes later, 'O I got my ass kicked.  I'm so frustrated, therefor I'm going to go kick some ass.'

I think Toriyama realized that he made Vegeta TOO AWESOME so he tried to make him LESS AWESOME during that arc.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2015, 03:25:24 PM »
I like Bulma getting knocked up and being independent.  Also at one point she realizes she missed her chance with goku.  I really like her character just because its so unique for a kids show.

Tasty

« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »
Bulma is the real protagonist of DB/DBZ.

Goku never fucking changes. Bulma? So much character growth. :aah

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »
Vegeta's perfect match was Nappa. :uguu
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
Pretty sure Vegeta is a power bottom and Nappa is just a bottom.  Bulma is a good carefree top for Vegeta.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »
What I want to know is, if Nappa became a super saiyajin, would his mustache get all spiky?
ど助平