Author Topic: Dragon Ball Thread - RIP sensei  (Read 44365 times)

Himu

Dragon Ball Thread - RIP sensei
« on: July 05, 2015, 03:17:12 AM »
:punch

NEW DORAGON BOORU

EXCITE

Watched the raw, and it was fantastic. It's so good to have DB back!

Found here:

http://animepill.com/dragon-ball-super-episode-1

I'm not going to be watching it subbed but I hear Barru or something will subbing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 03:02:33 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

PlayDat

Re: Dragon Ball Super Thread - it only took twenty years
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »
Can't decide if I should be excited about this or not.  I loved DBZ growing up.  Even watched the entire run of GT (which gets a lot better in the second half).  Still I'm pretty sure if I'd never heard of the show and just started watching Z today I'd probably hate it.  For as big of a fan as I was I have to admit it kinda garbage.  I'd still like to buy Kai on Blu Ray one of these days and I'll probably end up watching at least an episode or two of this new one.

dkdk

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
I shouldnt be this excited for a cartoon.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
are they going to leave namek

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »
Will wait for the Abridged version of this new series.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 12:10:49 PM »
Episode one was OK.  It's not like this was the first new Dragonball thing and it felt like another little OVA.  It looks like they are just taking the Battle Of The Gods movie storyline and turning it into a long, drawn-out TV show version, which is kind of a snoozer.  Hope I'm wrong on this and Beerus isn't the bad guy again.
ど助平

dkdk

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Its gonna get beyond beerus. Theres gonna be more gods and shit.

Himu

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:15:06 PM »
Episode one was OK.  It's not like this was the first new Dragonball thing and it felt like another little OVA.  It looks like they are just taking the Battle Of The Gods movie storyline and turning it into a long, drawn-out TV show version, which is kind of a snoozer.  Hope I'm wrong on this and Beerus isn't the bad guy again.

I liked it. It lacked fighting for the most part, but character interaction is one thing Dragon Ball has always been great at, and I thought it was a return of form. It truly feels like a continuation of the original Dragon Ball charm. Pretty much nothing happens, but that's enough for me, because it wasn't the Goku Show. It was also really cute and funny.  It seems like they're going to keep going with the tone set in Battle of Gods: an interesting mix of Dragonball's two frontiers: the more comedic approach of pre-Picollo Dragon Ball, and the serious action fest of Picollo Saga and up. I like that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:19:10 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »
Picollo doesn't approve of Gohan getting married. I hope Gohan puts down the caviar and the books, ditches the glasses, and starts training again.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Still I'm pretty sure if I'd never heard of the show and just started watching Z today I'd probably hate it.

If you have taste, naw, you wouldn't.

:bow

2:10 - 2:18

:whoo :rejoice
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:28:38 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 01:33:33 PM »
Dragon Ball Super (Japanese: ドラゴンボール超 Hepburn: Doragon Bōru Sūpā?) is an anime television series produced by Toei Animation that began airing on July 5, 2015.[2] It is the first Dragon Ball anime produced in 18 years and is set after the defeat of Majin Boo, when the Earth has become peaceful once again.

:gladbron

Himu

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »
It's subbed now. get in.

https://vimeo.com/132632442
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »
Wow, Goku defeats Majin Boo? Spoilers.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 02:21:53 PM »
Judging everyone in this thread SO HARD.

This would be like if a bunch of manchildren got all excited about new Looney Toons cartoons coming out, except of course for the fact that DB is utter shit compared to Looney Toons.
yar

Himu

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
I'd be excited as fuck for new Looney Tunes and if it were good.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »

Me too! Difference being, original Looney Tunes were actually GOOD. Can't make that claim with original DB.

:heyman
yar

Himu

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »

Me too! Difference being, original Looney Tunes were actually GOOD. Can't make that claim with original DB.

:heyman

But you just called the people in this thread who would be excited for new Looney Tunes man children. So are you admitting to a self inflicted L?

Any ways, Dragon Ball is a great show. What you're probably talking about is Dragon Ball Z, whose problem start early into the Namek saga. Pretty much all of DBZ's issues are ironed out in the DBZ Kai release. It's a fantastic edit and more in line with the manga in terms of pacing and general spirit.

As for the manga, pretty much the entirety of the Dragon Ball manga (the manga contains DB and DBZ all under the title Dragon Ball) is pretty great and a classic.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »
Gonna wait for Black History Month before starting my official DRAGON BALL Z FIRST WATCH thread/marathon.

Himu

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »
Gonna wait for Black History Month before starting my official DRAGON BALL Z FIRST WATCH thread/marathon.

Start with Dragon Ball.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
OG dragon ball :zzz

Goku kills Piccolo by diving, fist first, right through his stomach. It is without a doubt, the most gully moment in the franchise.

Esch's opinions on Dragonball :zzz
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »

Goku kills Piccolo by diving, fist first, right through his stomach. It is without a doubt, the most gully moment in the franchise.

(Image removed from quote.)

Didn't this happen like 130 episodes in?

Original DB can be a slog. Then again, so can non-Kai DBZ. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

spoiler (click to show/hide)
DBZ defined my childhood. :lawd
[close]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:32:34 PM by Tasty Meat »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 05:29:57 PM »
nerding over which bits of DBZ are good and/or bad like the whole thing isn't trough-slurry funneled from toriyama's ass straight into your wide-eyed faces.  :heh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 05:31:29 PM »
The best thing to do is not to watch the "drag-on" ball anime episodes and read the manga instead.  Start from the beginning.  It will go much faster this way and will be a lot more enjoyable.

And yeah, the last couple of story arcs in Dragoball are very Z-like.  Z is a time skip and the introduction of the saiyans and all that stuff, but there was a previous time skip in Dragonball with a more matured Goku and the same kinds of brutal fights.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »

[close]

As said above, Dragon Ball manga is the superior form of both. The anime of both are pretty much :trash and the only redeeming aspect is Kai.

Also, I love how power gets stronger and stronger in scale in the original Dragon Ball. Going from going small bout, traditional  martial arts fights to being able to move faster than the eye can see, to being able to FLY. The way the decks get stacked higher and higher in Dragonball is something that DBZ never sees nor realizes. At the beginning of Z, they can fly, so it's not really a big deal. In DB, when you see Tien and Chaotzu and those dudes are levitating, and eventually they all learn to fly, it's one of the :lawd moments and really is very similar to Journey to the West's power gains. Monkey goes from just learning some basic magic like being able to do a normal hand combat fight, to learning magic, to learning how to trapeze on clouds, to being able to transform into anything including 500 foot Gods with six arms. :lawd The scale of power that gets crazier and crazier is a hallmark of that type of story, it's completely lacking in Z.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »
No super saiyans it sucks. Just keeping it 100 :yeshrug

Super Saiyan sucks.

It completely renders everyone else pointless despite always being useful in the past.

It has no weakness at all.

It looks more ridiculous as time goes on and goes far beyond the Ashura inspired design of SSJ1.

EVERYONE becomes Super Saiyan eventually and it litters the cast with Saiyans, making it out to be literally no big deal at all.

Kaio-ken >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Super Saiyan. It looks cooler, it creates a far more tense storyline (Goku going x4 in order to fuck Vegeta up while he charges the Galick Gun is :bow. Save the world versus make your body immobile? Tough call, and makes for more interesting storytelling and stakes.

Super Saiyan ain't shit. :heh
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »

[close]

As said above, Dragon Ball manga is the superior form of both. The anime of both are pretty much :trash and the only redeeming aspect is Kai.

Also, I love how power gets stronger and stronger in scale in the original Dragon Ball. Going from going small bout, traditional  martial arts fights to being able to move faster than the eye can see, to being able to FLY. The way the decks get stacked higher and higher in Dragonball is something that DBZ never sees nor realizes. At the beginning of Z, they can fly, so it's not really a big deal. In DB, when you see Tien and Chaotzu and those dudes are levitating, and eventually they all learn to fly, it's one of the :lawd moments and really is very similar to Journey to the West's power gains. Monkey goes from just learning some basic magic like being able to do a normal hand combat fight, to learning magic, to learning how to trapeze on clouds, to being able to transform into anything including 500 foot Gods with six arms. :lawd The scale of power that gets crazier and crazier is a hallmark of that type of story, it's completely lacking in Z.

If we're going with the manga, there is no "Z." It's all one continuous series. So these complaints knocking Z aren't even valid. :expert

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »
but we have a anime thread plz
Boo

Himu

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
The best thing to do is not to watch the "drag-on" ball anime episodes and read the manga instead.

:bow

Better art

Better pacing

Can read on the go

Never drags

You can't beat it. :yeshrug

[close]

If we're going with the manga, there is no "Z." It's all one continuous series. So these complaints knocking Z aren't even valid. :expert

I know. But in the US the manga was released as DB and DBZ separately and it eases the conversation without being a total weeb.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
You don't get the amazing Faulconer score tho :rejoice

That's right my friend, let me ask you... does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

:lawd :bow :lawd :bow

Himu

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
Falconer score sucks and has always been shit.
IYKYK

Hock

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »

idgaf I'm a total manchild for DB

Tasty

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 06:37:32 PM »
DBZ purists ::)

I can enjoy DBZ in all its incarnations. Options and not being an anal retentive douche-weeb. :rejoice

Falconer score sucks and has always been shit.

Himu

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »
I don't see how this makes me a purist at all. I started watching DBZ in 97 with the Ocean dub. I was a massive fan before it even hit Cartoon Network. I bought the tapes. It was a huge event when Funimation continued the Namek saga from where Ocean left off and I remember hating the music and voices which were drastically different. I have always hated that soundtrack and it's not because " :expert Japanese version is better  :expert"
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »
OK, then do you agree the Ocean dub sucked balls then?

Himu

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »
Ocean dub sucked balls, but the Funimation dub sucked even harder. Back then, Funimation were 4Kids :trash status.

How far they've come since then is north short of incredible. I only watch Kai in English.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 06:48:53 PM »
Kai English is great. :rejoice

And the Yamamoto score was actually far better than Kikuchi's. Shame he plagiarized half of it.  :'(

Himu

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
Kai's score is fantastic and wonderful mix of JP DBZ ost orchestration and ENG Funi Falconer ost contemporary styles.

I never liked how they'd be talking a normal chat in the Funi dub, and some fucking awful siren wailing techno rock would start blaring and it's just a normal talk. Falconer blows.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 06:54:54 PM »
Looney Tunes is rarely good and would seem to me the origin of the obnoxious "put adult jokes in entertainment for children because you interact with your children by sharing media consumption" writing style run so expertly into the ground by Pixar in the last however many years.

Also all the LOL RACISM.

Tasty

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 06:56:44 PM »
Kai's score is fantastic and wonderful mix of JP DBZ ost orchestration and ENG Funi Falconer ost contemporary styles.

I never liked how they'd be talking a normal chat in the Funi dub, and some fucking awful siren wailing techno rock would start blaring and it's just a normal talk. Falconer blows.

It gave the scenes gravitas :lawd

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »
©@©™

dkdk

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 09:17:08 PM »
toriyama on what this series will be

"“Dragon Ball Super” is a complete continuation of the Majin Buu story arc. It’s got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the “Battle of Gods” arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the “Revival of ‘F'” arc where Freeza comes back to life, and then, I’ve written a strange new story where they finally depart from this universe. They’re fighting against their neighbors, Universe 6!
They’ll yell at me if I give away too many spoilers, so I’ll keep the rest a secret, but they’re chasing after giant Super Dragon Balls; I think things will unfold in a bright and simple way, that will be really fun and exciting!

Since it’s another universe, loads of new characters will turn up. I’ll do my best to draw the tons of character designs necessary, so I’m looking forward to this too.

You know, it suddenly occurs to me that somewhere along the line the Dragon Ball anime has become quite a huge story. Since I’m the guy who drew the thing, it’s a bit weird for me to say this, but when I first started out I never dreamed it would have a universe as a setting (laughs). Don’t worry though, it’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always. Please be sure to watch Dragon Ball Super on TV!"

PlayDat

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
In DB, when you see Tien and Chaotzu and those dudes are levitating, and eventually they all learn to fly, it's one of the :lawd moments and really is very similar to Journey to the West's power gains. Monkey goes from just learning some basic magic like being able to do a normal hand combat fight, to learning magic, to learning how to trapeze on clouds, to being able to transform into anything including 500 foot Gods with six arms. :lawd The scale of power that gets crazier and crazier is a hallmark of that type of story, it's completely lacking in Z.

Making me long for a new Enslaved.  There's a revival I can get behind with little hesitation.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 11:22:35 PM »

"“Dragon Ball Super” is a complete continuation of the Majin Buu story arc. It’s got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the “Battle of Gods” arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the “Revival of ‘F'” arc where Freeza comes back to life, and then, I’ve written a strange new story where they finally depart from this universe. They’re fighting against their neighbors, Universe 6!
They’ll yell at me if I give away too many spoilers, so I’ll keep the rest a secret, but they’re chasing after giant Super Dragon Balls; I think things will unfold in a bright and simple way, that will be really fun and exciting!

Since it’s another universe, loads of new characters will turn up. I’ll do my best to draw the tons of character designs necessary, so I’m looking forward to this too.

You know, it suddenly occurs to me that somewhere along the line the Dragon Ball anime has become quite a huge story. Since I’m the guy who drew the thing, it’s a bit weird for me to say this, but when I first started out I never dreamed it would have a universe as a setting (laughs). Don’t worry though, it’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always. Please be sure to watch Dragon Ball Super on TV!"

This reads like an Onion interview.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 11:28:09 PM »

Excited to see them go to different universes. :lawd I'm hoping bthe rebelling of BoG and RoF goes really short.

In DB, when you see Tien and Chaotzu and those dudes are levitating, and eventually they all learn to fly, it's one of the :lawd moments and really is very similar to Journey to the West's power gains. Monkey goes from just learning some basic magic like being able to do a normal hand combat fight, to learning magic, to learning how to trapeze on clouds, to being able to transform into anything including 500 foot Gods with six arms. :lawd The scale of power that gets crazier and crazier is a hallmark of that type of story, it's completely lacking in Z.

Making me long for a new Enslaved.  There's a revival I can get behind with little hesitation.

Read the original book. Best novel ever. :bow
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:32:23 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 11:43:43 PM »
Universe 6 is parallel to Earth 2.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »
Is... is Toriyama literally ripping off the fan comic Dragon Ball Multiverse here?

Himu

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 12:59:21 AM »
What's that? I wouldn't say so. Wasn't Majin Buu the strongest person in the galaxy? pretty sure, it's a natural continuation of the formula. If Goku is the strongest in the galaxy or universe, surely, the next step is to fight people of other universes? I mean, this is shounen 101, in a formula Toriyama pretty much created. It's only natural that a fan would also have the crew fighting people of other universes if they've taken on the strongest of this universe. Even GT had them going in space. This is...obvious.
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 01:05:08 AM »
The episode was aight. I think a lot of enjoyment for it is based on whether the viewer is a fan or not. If it was the intro to a new anime, I'd have dumped it to the bushes straight away.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »

:lol

Himu

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
If it's like the original Dragon Ball, there won't BE power levels.

Another point for early Dragon Ball. :smug It has no power levels, and the only way characters get better is through raw skill (Tienshenhan, Goku, Krillen), experience, and working really hard. In DB, Tien is Goku's biggest rival in terms of skill and competition. Goku and Krillen fight it out and Krillen can hang. There were no power levels, it was just hard work and swag.

The God form could actually save the series in this regard. There's nothing stopping the humans from having a God form, or Namekian in Piccolo's case. Since only people who have God like power can only sense God energy level, this pretty much gives the sign that everyone else may be gaining that power too, just to compete with minions.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:33:04 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 01:12:13 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2015, 10:25:05 PM »
Been watching dragonball for the first time.  Holy shit Goku just punched through King Piccolo and then celebrated by 69ing Yajirobe.  I think Olive Garden would have been the more family friendly choice. 

[close]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:29:11 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

dkdk

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
Vegeta on family vacation remind me of every dad I saw when I worked at the beach.

Himu

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »

:dead
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:08:31 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
It's stupid as fuck but at least it's explained: the tail is a genetic weak link and he and Trunks weren't born with tails. It makes sense and follows the basic contuiity of the series: Gohan is for practical purposes, stronger than Goku and Vegeta because he's mixed with human blood. It's revealed at the beginning of the show that Saiyan blood and Human blood mix well and make for stronger warriors. Vegeta and Nappa literally come to Earth because they want to mate with human women to bear them children as warriors. Goten, being born without a tail, has stronger fight potential than Gohan. That doesn't make the way he easily achieves it okay, and it's a large point as to why I said on the previous page that Super Saiyan is a :trash ability/power up, but in the scope of the story, it makes sense.
IYKYK

dkdk

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »
Goten going Super Saiyan is straight jokes. I love it. Toriyama was trolling by that point.

Plus it makes sense that him and Trunks would be able to do it sooner.

Himu

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »
I just cannot get over this warrior prince dude going to a amusement park and shopping with his family at the clothing store :dead

Vegeta is easily the best character on this show. :lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
Vegeta is the best DBZ character. :obama No question. But on Super he's something else. :lol
IYKYK

dkdk

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »
it's honestly ridiculous to me how hard toriyama shits on his greatest creation to big up Goku and Gohan. it's like he realized he fucked up when he made Vegeta as dope as he is and been trying to undo it for decades.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:44:30 PM by dkdk »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »
My question is how much footage of Piccolo, Tien and Krillin standing on the sidelines looking frustrated at their complete irrelevance are we going to get?

DBZ probably gave us a couple dozen hours of Piccolo, Tien and Krillin looking frustrated on the sidelines. Now that the power gap between them and the Saiyans is even more dramatic, can Super top this?
Yamcha doesn't even get a mention. :heh