Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 50397 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998
« Reply #480 on: February 14, 2020, 04:19:57 AM »
>>491388650
>Tsuyoshi Kanda: One thing that sticks in my mind, really, is that… when I think back to my memories of Resident Evil 2, the plant monster that appears was really memorable for me. So there I was, I was thinking ‘oh, how are we going to handle this one…’ but then one day I looked at the planning documents of how we were rethinking the story and it was no longer in it.

>I was kind of like… “what’s happening here?!” [laughs] I talked to the team and they said well, it’s really hard to make a plant monster in a more realistic atmosphere. We just thought we’d skip it. I told them I needed us to make it work, and that led to a back-and-forth on how to do it for about a year – them saying it couldn’t be done and me as producer saying I wanted it in there. As for how it turned out in the end… we’ll leave it for you to see later! But that’s one of the things I really remember butting heads with the team on for quite a while.

>Hirabayashi: To make that convincing in any way was really tough. For a while, we were just thinking, ‘shall we just cut the alligator altogether? It’s too difficult’. But we knew there’d be a fan backlash, we knew we had to create one of these perfect fan-favourite moments, so… it’s a tough one, but it’s there.

Them attempting to just skip anything slightly difficult or "unrealistic" is peak soulless.

Clearly, there is an easy win here: Just make it a musical number and put in a Parappa-the-Rapper mechanic in, over this gem.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #481 on: February 14, 2020, 05:26:58 AM »
That "it's too difficult so let's cut it" reasoning, explains RE7's monster variety.  :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #482 on: February 14, 2020, 11:18:39 AM »
Picked this up recently, how's the difficulty for someone like me who sucks at 3d shooters and survival horror?
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: February 14, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »
Picked this up recently, how's the difficulty for someone like me who sucks at 3d shooters and survival horror?

You're probably not going to have too much of a problem until some of the Mr. X bits and maybe some stuff at the end.  Just try to get out of the mindset of needing to shoot absolutely everything and ammo shouldn't be a problem either- remember that you can try to walk around enemies too.

The hardest thing for me to get used to compared to the prior more action-based titles was not being able to easily stun and melee enemies to death. I missed that a lot.  :'(  Definitely prefer how things changed with RE4.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:07:19 PM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #484 on: February 14, 2020, 04:15:10 PM »
Went ahead and snagged the Deluxe Edition too.   Need some shorter games in my life.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #485 on: February 14, 2020, 05:23:18 PM »
Same.  I only rented the classic RE2 back in the day and never got real far into it, so this should be a treat.  I’m debating whether or not to play with the Mr.DMX mod my first time through.

Svejk

« Reply #486 on: February 17, 2020, 01:56:34 AM »
Fuck this game is good.  Still on Claire A, but I can't help but to think how truly awesome the RE Engine is.  Mad props for dishing out wonderful visuals with a pretty bombass frame rate even on base PS4.  I hope they use this engine for Dragon's Dogma 2. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #487 on: February 17, 2020, 05:53:43 AM »
Fuck this game is good.  Still on Claire A, but I can't help but to think how truly awesome the RE Engine is.  Mad props for dishing out wonderful visuals with a pretty bombass frame rate even on base PS4.  I hope they use this engine for Dragon's Dogma 2.
Tales from my ass here, but i think i remember the engine not being developed with open worlds in mind (they didn't even use it for MHW), but maybe they reworked it, or i just remember wrong.
I do love what it's brought to Resident Evil though!

Svejk

« Reply #488 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »
Tales from my ass here, but i think i remember the engine not being developed with open worlds in mind (they didn't even use it for MHW), but maybe they reworked it, or i just remember wrong.
I do love what it's brought to Resident Evil though!
No, you're right.  MT Framework has done wonders for MHW and DD1.. I'm sure it would still be used.  Itsuna made great use of the RE Engine in DMC5 though. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #489 on: February 17, 2020, 10:30:18 AM »
Besides, i think BBI demonstrated that Dragon's Dogma would work even with a less open map.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #490 on: February 17, 2020, 08:39:47 PM »
yeah this game is the fucking shit - I can only play like an hour or two at a time because I get too scared - lol. I'm playing on babby Normal Mode to learn the game and explore every nook and cranny, will be bumping up to hardcore for next run as I'm already swimming in shotty shells and finding the game too easy. It is nice to just kick back and enjoy the ride though. I like how all the story DLC is free with only cosmetic shit costing money - they way it should be

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #491 on: February 18, 2020, 06:34:04 PM »
Made it up to the sewers, why the hate? This section was always filler before the lab.

Spoilers, I guess?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Giant gator sequence was always spectacle on rails fight even in 98. Always kinda sucked

Also Annette looks eerily like Greta Thunberg

[close]

Svejk

« Reply #492 on: February 18, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
I'm still on my first run; Claire A, and just finished the sparkplug/chesspiece door.  I could not put this game down over the weekend, but now have to wait till Friday to jump back in.  :(
I'm definitely having seconds thoughts on RE3 now and will have to get Day 1.  And I never played through RE3, so I'm pretty pumped.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #493 on: February 18, 2020, 08:55:41 PM »
I was sold on R3make after seeing Carlos's fucked up afro.

I recently played through RE3 on PSP - it good

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #494 on: February 19, 2020, 09:42:48 AM »
OG RE3 > OG RE2.
Though i'm probably the only person with this opinion.

Svejk

« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2020, 10:28:59 AM »
I hated the Nemesis change up in OG RE3 back then... My feeble teenage mind set was simply "You can't kill this fucker no matter how much you unload on him?!?!  Pbbtbtb.   Fuck this game."

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
JILL SANDWICH
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2020, 11:01:57 AM »
OG RE3 > OG RE2.
Though i'm probably the only person with this opinion.

Nah, I agree with you there.  It was like a more refined RE2 from a gameplay standpoint.

Although out of all the older survival horror-type games, I'd rather just go back and play the much more action-oriented Dino Crisis 2.  That game was so good.
:lawd
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »
I would be kinda surprised if they don't go this route with DC.   Seems like a lot of folks are wanting that to happen.  I know I would.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #498 on: February 19, 2020, 02:25:03 PM »
In terms of mechanics, Dino 1 was the peak of the (survival horror) genre.
Never managed to finish it , too tough for me to beat as a kid.  :'(
I'd jump on a remake with REngine graphics though.
HD dinos in dark corridors.  :lawd

Dino Crisis 2 was a completely different beast, but i loved that one as well, and that one i did finish, multiple times, the homoerotic vibes were off the charts, too.

paprikastaude

« Reply #499 on: February 19, 2020, 03:12:41 PM »
I caught up with Dino Crisis in preparation for Evil Within and the former was a significantly more tense and suspenseful experience :lol  And I don't even particularly find jungles or dinosaurs scary. Really speaks to its great survival horror game design.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #500 on: February 19, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »
I'm up to the lab - they've cut the marshalling yard (ie. train section) but that was a small area anyhow. Basement layout redesigned somewhat, ditto with sewers - similar size and vibes so wouldnt classify as cut content.

Seems like less weapons and enemies is the main "cut" thing

paprikastaude

« Reply #501 on: February 20, 2020, 09:07:00 PM »
Hard to call it cut content when everything is different/new except for the mere visual design of a bunch of lower police station rooms.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #502 on: February 21, 2020, 01:13:10 AM »
Yeah isnt NEST wonderfully designed? the way the areas intersect and the integration of the puzzles and technologies was very cool.

Anyhow beat Leon A on Normal with about 6:30 on the clock and about 50 stress saves lol. I was taking my time to hug all the walls, make all the rooms blue and just take in all the rooms and details. A really impressive reimagining of one of my favourite games is my take. Finding faults with the game is basically nitpicking - its a solid product thats easy to immediately recommend.

Next step: Claire B on hardcore (might use a guide to find the raccoon statues). Then I'll focus on smashing through for S ranks

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #503 on: February 21, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »
NEST is great, and better than the OG labs, but i find the Ivys lazily designed, at least from a visual standpoint.
However the real sore spot of this remake, aside from B scenario, is the sewers. They are fairly complex and interconnected, but kill the pace and have too many badly designed spots.
Also they both pale compared to the Police Station, so there's that.

paprikastaude

« Reply #504 on: February 21, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »
I liked them :trumps

edit: I meant the sewers. :doge The plant monsters are okay too. There's only so much you can do with... plants.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:16:54 PM by Spieler1 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #505 on: February 21, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »
I liked them :trumps
They are basically a less interesting reskin of the ones from RE4, though in that one you needed the special scope, which made them cooler.
They should've kept the more plant design, and have some tentacle type attack, or something.

Svejk

« Reply #506 on: February 22, 2020, 01:43:22 PM »
Finally finished Claire A last night and started Leon A.  Changed the music up to the OG.  It's certainly nostalgic.  I hope to go through Leon's portion in half the time.  Game is awesome.

Svejk

« Reply #507 on: February 23, 2020, 04:36:05 AM »
Made it to the sewers of Leon A.  So far, this run seems much harder than Claire's A run.. that "prison break" stressed me the eff out.  Not as surplused as I was with Claire.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #508 on: February 23, 2020, 08:29:40 PM »
I'm playing Claire B on Hardcore - hardcore is no joke! Im enjoying it quite a lot now that I am comfortable being challenged by the games systems.

I'm liking this game more and more with more play - the way the zombies and their damage persist is like, wow. For instance I thought I had fragged a couple of zomboids with a grenade, and when I came back one of them was still alive, just very maimed by shrapnel. Dude was still shambling at me, so pulled out the six-shooter and one final round to the head dropped him for good. Such cool attention to detail.

I'm gonna look at beating all 4 scenarios legit, then try and get some infinite ammo shit going for the S ranks/other achievements. Better look up how to get the infinite bazooka lol

Rman

« Reply #509 on: February 23, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »
Made it to the sewers of Leon A.  So far, this run seems much harder than Claire's A run.. that "prison break" stressed me the eff out.  Not as surplused as I was with Claire.
Leon A? Why not Leon B?

But yeah, Leon is the more "technical" character.  Claire is more balls to wall action with her grenade launcher and such.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #510 on: February 23, 2020, 09:45:18 PM »
Hmm so it seems the infinite Minigun and Bazooka require S+ ranks which sound like no joke - no more than 3 saves on Hardcore :/ Anyone here take on the challenge?

Rman

« Reply #511 on: February 23, 2020, 10:34:01 PM »
Hmm so it seems the infinite Minigun and Bazooka require S+ ranks which sound like no joke - no more than 3 saves on Hardcore :/ Anyone here take on the challenge?

When the original came on out in PS1 as a kid, sure. Today? LOL.

Ihad tons of fun with this game, though. Did both scenarios for both characters. Well worth my time.  But I can't see myself going for S ranks.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:55:01 PM by Rman »

Svejk

« Reply #512 on: February 23, 2020, 10:51:28 PM »
Leon A? Why not Leon B?

But yeah, Leon is the more "technical" character.  Claire is more balls to wall action with her grenade launcher and such.
I'm now realizing I'm referencing it wrong. I should be calling it my 1st and 2nd run. :-[  My plan was to start with Claire -> Leon -> Leon 2nd run -> Claire 2nd run. 

But tbh.. as much as I'm enjoying the gameplay, I'll be done after that.  I got too much other shit to get to.  Capcom did a bang up job on this Remake.

Edit: Exactly!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #513 on: February 24, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »

I think I did the minigun but not the bazooka. Shit was not easy.
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #514 on: February 24, 2020, 01:13:41 PM »
Just do the 4 runs (2 of which in Hardcore) and then dick around with cheat engine.

Although replaying the station is always a pleasure for me.

Svejk

« Reply #515 on: February 24, 2020, 03:12:07 PM »
At NEST with Leon now.  The Ada segment kinda sucked.  Her animations seemed off to me too... a bit stiff.. but anywho.... now gotta wait till friday to get back to it.  :-\ 

paprikastaude

« Reply #516 on: February 24, 2020, 03:27:16 PM »
Ada is weird. She was still down to earth in the original, yet in the down to earth remake she's the only thing still in the vein of over the top RE (which she never was before RE4).   :brain
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:20:14 PM by Spieler1 »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #517 on: February 24, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »
Ada is weird. She was still down to earth in the original, yet in the remake she's the only thing still in the vein of over the top RE (which she never was before RE4).   :brain

Yeah I didn't really like what they changed about her - I guess they tried to make things a bit more obvious? In the original she was a friendly, caring, yet mysterious woman. Now shes brash and purports to be an FBI agent etc etc.

I just realised the most egregious piece of cut content - the BUTT NAKED LAB ZOMBIES

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #518 on: February 24, 2020, 07:20:31 PM »
Just do the 4 runs (2 of which in Hardcore) and then dick around with cheat engine.

Although replaying the station is always a pleasure for me.

Hmm I'll look up this cheat system....

I need to prove to myself I still got gaming chopz so I'm gonna try and do S+ legit (maybe with the infinite knife?)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #519 on: February 24, 2020, 10:10:30 PM »

I think I did the minigun but not the bazooka. Shit was not easy.

I can see Mr X and the boss fights being the biggest pains in the ass. Lickers are tough too - never really figured out how to fight them other then just tank with some herbs and a big gun

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #520 on: February 26, 2020, 08:39:08 AM »
Those fuckers in the sewers are the worst for me.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #521 on: February 26, 2020, 04:07:15 PM »

You can avoid like 95% of all enemies in this game, it's just learning their patterns and not fucking up.
yar

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #522 on: February 26, 2020, 04:15:56 PM »
Flash grenades are best used on lickers, it's not worth fighting them or using shotgun ammo on them.
OH!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #523 on: February 26, 2020, 05:17:57 PM »

You can avoid like 95% of all enemies in this game, it's just learning their patterns and not fucking up.
I see even in speedruns, they just unload on those bitches, when they're one after the other in that one sewer gauntlet.
They're just annoying as fuck with their OP grab.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #524 on: February 26, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »
This guy shows how to best avoid those G mutant sewer assholes.

yar

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #525 on: February 26, 2020, 10:54:49 PM »
yeah some good tech in that video - I think I'll just unload on 'em with MAGNUM FORCE personally

Svejk

« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2020, 11:25:01 PM »
I'm now reading that if you play Leon 1st run, it unlocks Claire 2nd run, and that's the way/order they should be played?! So I've been playing it all wrong??  :mindblown
I'll be honest though.. I'm having pseudo second thoughts on the 2nd runs.. I thought they change up scenes/locales more so, not just shuffle item locations and enemy placement (and the true ending).. We'll see how I feel after finishing Leon. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:02:22 AM by Svejk »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #527 on: February 27, 2020, 08:46:50 AM »
I'm now reading that if you play Leon 1st run, it unlocks Claire 2nd run, and that's the way/order they should be played?! So I've been playing it all wrong??  :mindblown
I'll be honest though.. I'm having pseudo second thoughts on the 2nd runs.. I thought they change up scenes/locales more so, not just shuffle item locations and enemy placement (and the true ending).. We'll see how I feel after finishing Leon.
? It's all the same who you start with.
You're supposed to play whichever character you want first, and then the other character's B run.

Svejk

« Reply #528 on: February 27, 2020, 09:31:58 AM »
You're supposed to play whichever character you want first, and then the other character's B run.
Cripes.  I've been doing it "wrong" then.   ::)  After I finished Claire A, I started Leon A....  I assumed the 2nd run unlocked from Claire A would be Claire's B and so forth...  :doge   :brain

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #529 on: February 27, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »
Cripes.  I've been doing it "wrong" then.   ::)  After I finished Claire A, I started Leon A....  I assumed the 2nd run unlocked from Claire A would be Claire's B and so forth...  :doge   :brain
You're not the only one.
Some game journalist did the same thing and went with it on the review.  ;)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #530 on: February 27, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
yeah its confusing but theres essentially 2 "versions" of the story - events differ ever so slightly in each one iirc.

So scenario 1 is Leon A -> Claire B
And scenario 2 is Claire A -> Leon B

In each of these you'll encounter the other character ion the B scenario when you saw em in the A scenario. This setup was probably more pronounced in the original game, where Mr X ONLY appears in the B runs, and the B character kills him later. So yeah in the original the B runs really felt like a lot more content given Mr X put a big ass twist on the game

Himu

« Reply #531 on: March 03, 2020, 09:57:56 PM »
I got the demo to this and it's everything I look for in a remake. Incredible.
IYKYK