Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 9771 times)

Bebpo

Re: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998
« Reply #480 on: March 11, 2019, 06:08:33 PM »
Now there's a mod that just removes Mr. X completely from the game.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/this-mod-completely-removes-mr-x-from-resident-evil-2-remake/?fbclid=IwAR0ebqNebM_vwBWT6Hmb0F-8buHs_K0CwtoUr4PblHkLbOdHcO8D4U3W91E

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/87

Would probably make things kind of dull.

Because RE1/RE4 and all the RE games where you are constantly chased are dull.
Also because the Sewers/Lab section of RE2 are dull....

It's a fine mechanic, I could live without it and would absolutely not enjoy an RE3 remake where a Mr. X type Nemesis followed you constantly the entire game while you're trying to solve puzzles and fight zombies, but whatever, more options for people.

My favorite section in RE2 Remake is the Lab because everything I love about RE, going at my own pace and solving puzzles and fighting different enemy types that require different strategies.

Don Rumata

« Reply #481 on: March 11, 2019, 07:17:37 PM »
I think Mr.X adds to the game to be honest, by the times he comes out, you have explored most of the station, and need something to twist it on its head a bit.
I'd much rather have a mod that removes those fucking G-Adults from the game.

Thing is, Mr X is fought in a setting where you can usually plan ahead, and have multiple ways to go around and avoid him, so it is mostly fair (except the teleporting bullshit, and a couple of areas, like the third floor).
G-Adults spawn in the middle of a tight corridor and you're basically forced to either kill them or take a hit and hope they don't double grab you.
I watched a no damage run to see how the pros did it, an even the guy got grabbed and used grenades/knives to go past; but the sewers aren't nearly as circular as the Police station from what i've played, and there's no way to avoid them, or kite them away from your objective.

EDIT: I agree with you though, that a R3make with a Nemesis that follows you constantly would be shit.
That mechanic is fun in small doses.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #482 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »
Now there's a mod that just removes Mr. X completely from the game.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/this-mod-completely-removes-mr-x-from-resident-evil-2-remake/?fbclid=IwAR0ebqNebM_vwBWT6Hmb0F-8buHs_K0CwtoUr4PblHkLbOdHcO8D4U3W91E

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/87

Would probably make things kind of dull.

Because RE1/RE4 and all the RE games where you are constantly chased are dull.
Also because the Sewers/Lab section of RE2 are dull....

It's a fine mechanic, I could live without it and would absolutely not enjoy an RE3 remake where a Mr. X type Nemesis followed you constantly the entire game while you're trying to solve puzzles and fight zombies, but whatever, more options for people.

My favorite section in RE2 Remake is the Lab because everything I love about RE, going at my own pace and solving puzzles and fighting different enemy types that require different strategies.

Mr. X being there isn't the problem-  Mr. X being so relentless and for so long is.  He was scripted in RE2 and is not in the remake.  If there was a mod that changed things up to be more like that, it would better than just removing him outright.

You're forgetting about enemies like the the chainsaw guys in RE4.  Same deal- they're scripted and when they popped up in action sequences, it made for a lot of tension...in a good way.  And didn't the RE1 remake have a crimson head zombie who could keep chasing you in one game mode?
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #483 on: March 11, 2019, 08:08:43 PM »
Mr X is fine. The only time he's a problem is if you don't kill shit and have to dodge zombos and lickers in addition to him. By the time he shows up in the A scenario you should be able to get away from him pretty easily if you just take a minute or two and figure out his patterns and the rules he operates under.

The B scenario is dicier because you can go to the STARS office almost right away and what triggers him is apparently picking up the battery off Wesker's desk (haven't tested it so don't know for sure). So if all you've done so far is clear out a couple rooms in the east wing of the station and then you've got Mr X chasing your ass, it's gonna suck.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #484 on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »
I agree with Don Rumata that Mr. X mechanic is fun in small doses, just like Chainsaw guy in small doses. Etc...especially on replays where you know where these small doses are and how to strategize around them.

Mr X is fine. The only time he's a problem is if you don't kill shit and have to dodge zombos and lickers in addition to him. By the time he shows up in the A scenario you should be able to get away from him pretty easily if you just take a minute or two and figure out his patterns and the rules he operates under.

The B scenario is dicier because you can go to the STARS office almost right away and what triggers him is apparently picking up the battery off Wesker's desk (haven't tested it so don't know for sure). So if all you've done so far is clear out a couple rooms in the east wing of the station and then you've got Mr X chasing your ass, it's gonna suck.

Yeah, that's what happened to me in my first attempt at B scenario and why I got really frustrated. Once you learn it's the stars room that triggers him and you save that for last it's no big deal.

Don Rumata

« Reply #485 on: March 11, 2019, 08:54:11 PM »
Yeah me too, got to the STARS room right away, and was like "welp, that was quick".
From then on it was a bit of a Benny Hill skit, in the RPD building.

thisismyusername

• https://goo.gl/SEuEBL Stay pressed, DNC.

remy

« Reply #487 on: March 11, 2019, 11:44:46 PM »
I also agree that the chasing is fun... in small doses. If they do Nemesis surely they'd have some sections where you can just take him out and take a fucking break from him, like in the OG or just not have it chase you in certain areas.

Mr X was fine because he only shows up after you already know where pretty much everything is.

I also agree the latter half could have been fun if there were more differences in the lab/more of the lab in general, but oh well! The game was so damn good I was willing to give it a pass on that.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #488 on: March 12, 2019, 02:09:27 AM »
Fuck I did'nt know Mr X could make a hole from the press room to the hall way where the Observation room is. Gave me a heartattack.

BikeJesus

« Reply #489 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:03 AM »
Finished up Leon B. I went out of my way to clean up a couple achievements and it cost me some time. Going to to start Hardcore play-throughs.

Don Rumata

« Reply #490 on: March 17, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
Tried the extra modes.
These things are not for me, tbh, i never enjoyed the mercenary mode, because i never found the RE gameplay all that fun in short bursts, but more in the long run management, and so this isn't different.

I was hoping to get some story details from the extra stories, but it's basically Bayonetta-style stills, and show little to nothing, and then the classic gauntlet of A to B.
It's not bad or anything, it just doesn't offer anything that i was looking for.  :yeshrug

Spieler1

« Reply #491 on: March 17, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
I already bailed out of Hunk, the game clearly wasn't made for action :idont

Don Rumata

« Reply #492 on: March 17, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
I already bailed out of Hunk, the game clearly wasn't made for action :idont
Kind of the same vibe, yeah.

I finished the Mayor's daughter and the other Umbrella guy's runs, i died near the end of Kendo's and died in the Police Station with Hunk.

I only tried each once (twice with Hunk) but i didn't really feel a desire to go back, because the story pay off is zero, and it just illustrate my frustration with the game's combat mechanics (mostly: every attack is just a grab movie animation).

I know there's people out there doing these runs perfectly, so i'm not even trying to diss the depth of the gameplay, but i just don't think it's that fun, as i said, in short bursts. It pays off in the long run, with a slower pace and the risk/reward of deciding which path to take in the map.
Having to just go through a tight corridor filled with grabby enemies isn't that fun.
Besides, shooting the legs seems by far the best option in just about any situation (that, and tossing a grenade in particularly filled up rooms).

I do enjoy the Pale Heads though, a cool idea that should've been in the main game, maybe instead of those shitty Ivys.
Poison zombies instead should've remained a discarded .psd file in some concept artist's portfolio.

Another things is... is just the two areas (police station and sewers), and already in the main game i was feeling a bit of lack in variety, having to do them even more times with extra characters just isn't that compelling.
Free content tho, so whatever.