Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 7153 times)

Spieler1

Re: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2019, 03:46:35 PM »
lickers + mr. x = :stahp

thisismyusername

• https://goo.gl/SEuEBL Stay pressed, DNC.
« Reply #241 on: January 25, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
lickers + mr. x = :stahp

So I'm not the only one to know that pain. The asshole coming to punch you in the kidneys (into Danger status) while you're slow walking past the Lickers is :stahp

Thank god I spent $1k more on a pc than I really needed to 4 months ago, now I can see human entrails rendered in 4k at 60 fps the way God intended. (screenshots spoilered cause huge)

spoiler (click to show/hide)

LOL the only difference I see here from the "medium" settings is the county sheriff texture on that police car.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2019, 05:04:13 PM »
Thank god I spent $1k more on a pc than I really needed to 4 months ago, now I can see human entrails rendered in 4k at 60 fps the way God intended. (screenshots spoilered cause huge)

LOL the only difference I see here from the "medium" settings is the county sheriff texture on that police car.

:jeanluc
yar

MMaRsu

« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »
I streamed some of my first ever RE2 playthrough on hardcore mode

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/369656888

kingv

« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2019, 06:02:11 PM »
Probably there is even an assisted mode which is basically super easy

Iím a bignpussy with horror games.

As a result I really like the action RE games, but only those.

thisismyusername

« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »

:jeanluc

Dude, I'm serious: The Sheriff logo isn't on the cars on medium. :lol :lol :lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2019, 06:29:17 PM »
Zombies are tanks in this game, seems like there's no point in trying to kill them. No ammo? Two zombies? Reload run's over
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »
I'm able to run the game pretty much on max settings and 144hz.  No idea how it's running so well when even the options menu says this should be too much for my system.   :lol

The game supports 21:9, too. :drool  Cut scenes remain in 16:9 which is typical.

:beavis
:beavis
ど助平

Spieler1

« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
Zombies are tanks in this game, seems like there's no point in trying to kill them. No ammo? Two zombies? Reload run's over

It's RE, knife them when they are down  :nothot

Rufus

• chronic mediocrity
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »
Kneecap, stomp head. Or does that not work?
🍕🧀

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »

Lol, with my -consumable, limited- knife? Ya right bud.

I dont think footstomps are in this game either. Leon aint the big dicked hardass he is in 4 & 6 yet.

I restarted a few times and found some ammo I missed before. I got some gear now - got the Shotgun and such now.
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2019, 09:59:22 PM »
I'm able to run the game pretty much on max settings and 144hz.  No idea how it's running so well when even the options menu says this should be too much for my system.   :lol

The options is bugged. Just like it was in the demo. :lol

I finally reached the lab, while in "Caution." Will my no-heal, no-item box run be successful? Stay tuned, true believers.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2019, 11:54:53 PM »

Lol, with my -consumable, limited- knife? Ya right bud.

I dont think footstomps are in this game either. Leon aint the big dicked hardass he is in 4 & 6 yet.

I restarted a few times and found some ammo I missed before. I got some gear now - got the Shotgun and such now.

They're not, which crushed me.  :stahp

It's very inconsistent with how many shots (body part be damned) it takes to down a zombie. You could argue that it was always like that but you couldn't precisely aim in the original.

And Leon's VA sounds like a wimp.  :yuck

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2019, 12:37:48 AM »
So do enemies take more shots on Hardcore, or do they simply do more damage instead? Seems inconsistent, Birkin clonked me with the pipe an only brought me to Caution, but a dog biting my nuts puts me in Danger. Like, idk man seems weird.

I just made it out of the parking lot, heading to Irons' office.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:42:37 AM by demi »
fat

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2019, 02:40:56 AM »
So do enemies take more shots on Hardcore, or do they simply do more damage instead? Seems inconsistent, Birkin clonked me with the pipe an only brought me to Caution, but a dog biting my nuts puts me in Danger. Like, idk man seems weird.

Ive gotten hit enough to know itís 100% random. Sometimes youíll even not take damage in hardcore when he hits you head on.

This is an absolutely amazing game, but Mr.X in hardcore is pretty much impossible. Spent an entire hour getting through a section even having been really good at the game.

He gets up in seconds and eats up pretty much all of your ammo, dumping you back entire sections if you get combo locked on a wall. :-\

That said, that bit is just a drop compared to all the amazing stuff so far, and like it might be better than REmake.

FatalT

« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2019, 04:36:06 AM »
I finished it as Leon on Standard, started Claireís Second Run, saw the game is going to throw Mr. X at you in the first 30-45 minutes, then noped out. Instead I started a new game Claire run and made it to the sewers. I also found all the Raccoon Toys so I unlocked the infinite use combat knife which should make every run a whole lot easier. KNIFE ALL THE THINGS!

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #256 on: January 26, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
Zombies are bullet sponges but they're also appropriately stupid- if one sees you from a higher floor you can get them to fall over a landing or railing trying to mindlessly get at you which is kinda hilarious to watch.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2019, 11:13:35 AM »

Ive gotten hit enough to know itís 100% random. Sometimes youíll even not take damage in hardcore when he hits you head on.

This is an absolutely amazing game, but Mr.X in hardcore is pretty much impossible. Spent an entire hour getting through a section even having been really good at the game.

He gets up in seconds and eats up pretty much all of your ammo, dumping you back entire sections if you get combo locked on a wall. :-\

That said, that bit is just a drop compared to all the amazing stuff so far, and like it might be better than REmake.

Why are you even trying to fight him?  RUN!! :). Putting bullets into him just makes him stop for like 30 seconds to a minute on normal.  If it's even less time on hardcore...nope!

There's rumblings that he is kind of unfair in this remake since if you run far away the game will just teleport him to your location.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:18:12 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
I finished it as Leon on Standard, started Claireís Second Run, saw the game is going to throw Mr. X at you in the first 30-45 minutes, then noped out. Instead I started a new game Claire run and made it to the sewers. I also found all the Raccoon Toys so I unlocked the infinite use combat knife which should make every run a whole lot easier. KNIFE ALL THE THINGS!

Unbreakable knife?  Holy shit, am going to backtrack and get as many of those statues as I can on the first run.  Looks like it's only three I'm missing as Leon.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2019, 11:20:00 AM »
It has been probably 15 years or more since I played through RE2- in the original, did Mr. X also come out in the A games?  I thought he was the B games only?
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
Mr. X was B game only, and he is handled much better there. He's stupid as fuck and annoying in this. Already over it
fat

Don Rumata

« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
Mr. X was B game only, and he is handled much better there. He's stupid as fuck and annoying in this. Already over it
What's the main difference? Haven't had a chance to play yet.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2019, 01:19:40 PM »
The difference is he was scripted in the original. In this one, he makes his grand appearance after picking up the Club Key (Leon) and from there he constantly stalks the building.

Problem is he appears ALL THE TIME, and he CONSTANTLY chases you and you're like oh shit whoops just ran into some zombies or lickers.

To "avoid" him you have to basically stand still in a room and listen to his footsteps as he walks somewhere else, or just duck into a safe room (not the main hall, he actually will come into there). But it seems like he's -always- within perimeter of you, so you can't kill anything, make noises, all that shit because whoops there's mr. x coming down the hallway.

He's just stupid and annoying. Should have been scripted.
fat

Don Rumata

« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2019, 01:36:41 PM »
I see, he's kinda like Jack in RE7 then (though at least in that game you didn't really have to deal with other enemies, at that point in the story).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »
I'm in the Sewers and he hasn't appeared again, though he does appear briefly in Ada's segment

The Alligator "fight" is pretty non-eventful, its mostly fanservice.

I'm just exploring and cleaning up items (The game tells you when a room has been cleaned) since I'm hoarding as much health and bullets I can.
fat

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »

Why are you even trying to fight him?  RUN!! :). Putting bullets into him just makes him stop for like 30 seconds to a minute on normal.  If it's even less time on hardcore...nope!

There's rumblings that he is kind of unfair in this remake since if you run far away the game will just teleport him to your location.
Yeah, I was in Claire A and they have him follow you for a long while while they make you run through the mansion cleaning up weapons/items and doing puzzles all around.

The thing is that if you give him the slip he actually teleports to your location, also his tracking is completely broken. I was on a corner of the fourth floor and I heard his music playing, and then he comes busting out the waiting room and into the lobby to stare at me, and then entered another door, teleported up a few floors ,and started chasing me.

Also, Iím trying not to use first aid sprays, so Iím a bit more fucked than usual  :doge
ó-
The orphanage scene was really damn great, I think Iím done with Mr.X for now.

MMaRsu

« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »
Damn you get so little ammo on hardcore

I just finished the G boss and only had one bullet left.

After that the dogs came also very little ammo to be found

Then I got a bit further but no fucking ink ribbon anywhere

ofcourse then I died  :maf

Don Rumata

« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2019, 02:59:44 PM »
But wasnt this game supposed to have adaptive difficulty?

thisismyusername

« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »
I see, he's kinda like Jack in RE7 then (though at least in that game you didn't really have to deal with other enemies, at that point in the story).

...Not really. Jack is scripted in certain segments and can follow you around only for like 5% of the game. Mr. X chases you as soon as you get around the rooftop helicopter until you go back underground. Which is like 20% or so of the game.

Jack in 7 is more like Nemesis in 3 in that he has certain "zones" that he'll appear/chase you through. Mr. X is sort of a beefed up version of them since he'll go through the whole police station (bar the clocktower puzzle area and S.T.A.R.S. office AFAIK) to chase you down.

Edit: I guess in a round-about way I'm saying "Yes, but..." when I don't really agree with that assessment since Jack and Nemesis are only in like 2-3 really tiny areas and stop their pursuits once you cross a certain "finish line" while Mr. X is bigger/one-whole-area.

Though honestly, my biggest problem with Mr. X is his teleportation. You can go through 10+ rooms and be quiet as a mouse, but as soon as you fire on one enemy, BAM he's right behind you.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
What a surprise, the Sewers boss fight is just as terrible
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
What a surprise, the Sewers boss fight is just as terrible

You haven't seen terrible until you reach the G adults. You can get past them in a certain segment where you need to get the three chess piece keys now. I mean you can... if you want to get hit/use defensive items, but it's a fucking chore. Especially if you're going no-heal.

mormapope

• Do what you can.
« Reply #271 on: January 26, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »
I imagine the game is a lot more enjoyable if you do your first playthru on medium/normal like a normal person, instead of doing hardcore runs or ruled runs immediately on your first play thrus.  :-*

Just sayin. Its not too unbelievable that a game can be moderately challenging just from playing on default settings.
Faith

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
Just watched Carcinogen's no damage run and his strat made the boss fight stupid easy.
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #273 on: January 26, 2019, 04:11:09 PM »
Just watched Carcinogen's no damage run and his strat made the boss fight stupid easy.

:leon Damn @ 2:15:00 mark he made the fight where I got slapped once (into caution) look easy-breezy.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:30:28 PM by thisismyusername »

Spieler1

« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »
Finished Claire in 7 hours, Leon B hooked me again into another straight ninety minute session.

Everything is very good and an evolution of what they started with Revelations 2 and then 7. Except the sound design. What a nonsensical decision to make it so lowkey to the point of the first two hours of the A campaign being practically silent. I get that this is supposed to be more "grounded" and less videogamey, but even 7 still had things like a consistent save room theme...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
The difference is he was scripted in the original. In this one, he makes his grand appearance after picking up the Club Key (Leon) and from there he constantly stalks the building.

Problem is he appears ALL THE TIME, and he CONSTANTLY chases you and you're like oh shit whoops just ran into some zombies or lickers.

To "avoid" him you have to basically stand still in a room and listen to his footsteps as he walks somewhere else, or just duck into a safe room (not the main hall, he actually will come into there). But it seems like he's -always- within perimeter of you, so you can't kill anything, make noises, all that shit because whoops there's mr. x coming down the hallway.

He's just stupid and annoying. Should have been scripted.

My enjoyment level went down quite a bit after he started showing up.  Got pretty frustrated after making a run past a bunch of enemies and getting the final part of the station done at that point, only to get killed by him and it put me way back to a point where I had to do it all over again.   :-\
ど助平

The Sceneman

• I need to get huge, I need to stay huge.
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
But he has a new hat!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »
Beat Leon (A) Hardcore

Super Tyrant was fucking annoying with his insta-kill. Had to quickly whip out the Magnum and pop one to stagger him long enough to hit the buzzer / Rocket Launcher.

Claire B next boys
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #278 on: January 27, 2019, 12:32:38 AM »
Clare A is actually pretty different from Leon B where-as before only like the Chief's office/helicopter area was different.

Sadly, you can't go into the jail. :( And you only get three of the card-themed keys for either character (AFAIK, I couldn't find the Club key as Claire).

Sherry's segment is fucking awful. I long for the day of running through the sewers and doing box pushing puzzles than having that "hide from Irons" segment again. :yuck

I miss the Chief's infamous "...And to think that Taxidermy used to be my hobby... *voice change* BUT NOT NO LONGER! *lower voice/sad* Please, I'd really like to be alone now..." lines for his introduction to Claire. But moving the body to the orphanage (along with files to explain why the orphanage was abandoned for Sherry's segment to even be possible) is an alright change. Better than the throwaway Kendo (who you pass over/near). Though oddly the infamous start of Scenario A is mostly Claire's segment now, so I guess the Claire A/Leon B canon run after all.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: January 27, 2019, 04:07:30 AM »
Finished it with Leon on normal in around 6:43 IIRC.  Felt really short.  Mr. X brought down the game for a me a lot.  He's not unavoidable, but just super, super annoying with the way he works here versus original RE2 and Nemesis in RE3. 

Doing Claire B now and just finished the Sherry part, which was short and stupid.

I think this is a solid game and a good RE, but I definitely don't like it as much as the more action-oriented titles.  RE4 is still the champ and the best direction the series went in, IMO.  I like RE5 and Revelations 1 more than this, too.

But I'm looking forward to that upcoming free DLC "ghost survivor" mode which could end up making it really awesome for me again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:13:15 AM by bork »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2019, 06:18:55 AM »
Daddy Irons :aah
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »
Claire B done.  Mr. X didn't seem quite as annoying in her game.  Hunk and Tofu runs done too.  Guess that's it for now. 
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #282 on: January 27, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
Claire B Hardcore finished.

Final Boss of true ending (G-4?) was pretty dumb, but I got worried after the actual final boss cause I had zero bullets save some handgun.

Will do a normal achievement cleanup run then try Hunk
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »
Finished Hunk, tried Tofu and almost did it, but no achievement for it so who cares PEACE

Going to do an achievement cleanup run
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #284 on: January 27, 2019, 06:27:42 PM »
Also just installed RE2 on my Vita, god bless this marvelous device
fat

Freyj

« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »
jfc this game is gorgeous on PC

babyface Leon  :heartbeat

kingv

« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2019, 10:45:58 PM »
Reading this makes me think this one might not be for me.

Iíll wait patiently for more action RE.

mormapope

• Do what you can.
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »
Got thru the Mr X section on medium difficulty with Leon.... with little to no issues with his encounter design? I got hit by him once, avoided any enemies I encountered as well. If Mr X found me, Id loop around in some way to get where I needed to go. I even followed right behind him and stealthily watched him leave the area.

Faith

thisismyusername

« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2019, 11:36:37 PM »
Iíll wait patiently for more action RE.

Plz2BWaitingForever, kthxbi.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2019, 12:06:47 AM »
Got thru the Mr X section on medium difficulty with Leon.... with little to no issues with his encounter design? I got hit by him once, avoided any enemies I encountered as well. If Mr X found me, Id loop around in some way to get where I needed to go. I even followed right behind him and stealthily watched him leave the area.

i know how to deal with mr. x on hardcore bud. he's still stupid.
fat

mormapope

• Do what you can.
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2019, 12:24:02 AM »

Only stupid people find him stupid. He's the definition of "oh shit, guess Ill just go around him."

Instead of getting to a room in 45 seconds, it'll take three minutes if he's chasing you. That's like....a very minor inconvenience.
Faith

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2019, 12:39:10 AM »
Cranked out a sub-3 hour S+ run (S+ is if you don't use any bonus weapons -and- only use 3 saves) for Claire A.

Was pretty simple, might crank out a S rank for Leon as well later this week.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/demi/screenshot/11386074
fat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2019, 01:50:52 AM »
I only had issues with Mr X once

In the jail after you finally get the parking garage card, all the jail cells open up releasing a fuckton of zombies AND Mr X shows up, wtf man
yar

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2019, 02:30:46 AM »

Only stupid people find him stupid. He's the definition of "oh shit, guess Ill just go around him."

Instead of getting to a room in 45 seconds, it'll take three minutes if he's chasing you. That's like....a very minor inconvenience.
I watched a stream and Mr. Xís speed, shots to down, time staying down, and tracking are significantly different in Hardcore than on normal.

Iíd say Iím  really good at games, this one included, and this dude pounded my ass as he 1) can teleport 2) is in a half-sprint (where you canít gain any speed on him) until you get him to whiff an attack or spaz over zombies/lickers.

Out of curiosity I checked /v/ and this is definitely the case for most people in hardcore.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »
Yup, Mr. X can literally teleport to your location on a whim. Leave him in the Library, run to the OTHER SIDE of the building, not even 5 minutes later you hear *thump thump thump* like the fuck is that
fat

mormapope

• Do what you can.
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
If Mr. X isn't a formidable, annoying, unfair, terrifying foe, what purpose would he serve in this game? Back on the PS1, they probably wanted to have Mr. X as he is in the remake, but there was no way of achieving that with PS1 hardware. Hence, in the original RE2, he's a scripted monster that doesn't pose a huge threat to the player.

If something is going to be criticized, the balancing of hardcore mode in general is the issue. I was curious and started a Leon run on hardcore. You have to have crystal clear strategies and efficiency to get past every enemy encounter in the game. It's not hard mode, it's some European Extreme or Veteran shit.

So yeah, on normal difficulty, where you can botch shit and survive, or experiment with encounters, Mr. X is a really cool element of the game. On hardcore, where you're playing the game as close to perfect as possible, he is a huge roadblock and adds an element of randomness to your run.

Faith

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2019, 10:12:09 AM »
I think Mr. X in general is a good idea, he just needs some slight re-working.

I havent even brought up the stupid fucking john wick zombie grabs that goes on yet. That zombie you think you can zip behind? SIKE grabbed from behind sorry can't use defense item oops
fat

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
I think Mr. X in general is a good idea, he just needs some slight re-working.

I havent even brought up the stupid fucking john wick zombie grabs that goes on yet. That zombie you think you can zip behind? SIKE grabbed from behind sorry can't use defense item oops
Pretty much.

I actually love Mr. X, it's just that the specific way he does his shit in this game on a certain difficulty is an entirely different kind of bullshit.

I was more disappointed because it forced my hand with ammo/herbs, but luckily the later sections don't have anything like that.

I actually finished my first run this morning at 11 hours for Claire A Hardcore No First Aid, and I ended up really loving the whole game.

It's funny, because I actually thought all the bosses and levels afterwards were totally fair (and overall easier) because they have a good set of rules to them.

I mean it is what it is, I just picked it because it said for RE fans who want a classic experience :idont

I started up Leon B where I could bring it back down to "Normal", just because Mr.X isn't hard or fun, just annoying as fuck.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Spieler1

« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
The downtime of stunning X should be longer, but he's only in like 1 out of 7 hours anyway, maybe 2 in B-game. Was a fun enough diversion.