Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 49371 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
Mr. X was B game only, and he is handled much better there. He's stupid as fuck and annoying in this. Already over it
What's the main difference? Haven't had a chance to play yet.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2019, 01:19:40 PM »
The difference is he was scripted in the original. In this one, he makes his grand appearance after picking up the Club Key (Leon) and from there he constantly stalks the building.

Problem is he appears ALL THE TIME, and he CONSTANTLY chases you and you're like oh shit whoops just ran into some zombies or lickers.

To "avoid" him you have to basically stand still in a room and listen to his footsteps as he walks somewhere else, or just duck into a safe room (not the main hall, he actually will come into there). But it seems like he's -always- within perimeter of you, so you can't kill anything, make noises, all that shit because whoops there's mr. x coming down the hallway.

He's just stupid and annoying. Should have been scripted.
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2019, 01:36:41 PM »
I see, he's kinda like Jack in RE7 then (though at least in that game you didn't really have to deal with other enemies, at that point in the story).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »
I'm in the Sewers and he hasn't appeared again, though he does appear briefly in Ada's segment

The Alligator "fight" is pretty non-eventful, its mostly fanservice.

I'm just exploring and cleaning up items (The game tells you when a room has been cleaned) since I'm hoarding as much health and bullets I can.
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »
Damn you get so little ammo on hardcore

I just finished the G boss and only had one bullet left.

After that the dogs came also very little ammo to be found

Then I got a bit further but no fucking ink ribbon anywhere

ofcourse then I died  :maf
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2019, 02:59:44 PM »
But wasnt this game supposed to have adaptive difficulty?

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »
I see, he's kinda like Jack in RE7 then (though at least in that game you didn't really have to deal with other enemies, at that point in the story).

...Not really. Jack is scripted in certain segments and can follow you around only for like 5% of the game. Mr. X chases you as soon as you get around the rooftop helicopter until you go back underground. Which is like 20% or so of the game.

Jack in 7 is more like Nemesis in 3 in that he has certain "zones" that he'll appear/chase you through. Mr. X is sort of a beefed up version of them since he'll go through the whole police station (bar the clocktower puzzle area and S.T.A.R.S. office AFAIK) to chase you down.

Edit: I guess in a round-about way I'm saying "Yes, but..." when I don't really agree with that assessment since Jack and Nemesis are only in like 2-3 really tiny areas and stop their pursuits once you cross a certain "finish line" while Mr. X is bigger/one-whole-area.

Though honestly, my biggest problem with Mr. X is his teleportation. You can go through 10+ rooms and be quiet as a mouse, but as soon as you fire on one enemy, BAM he's right behind you.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
What a surprise, the Sewers boss fight is just as terrible
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
What a surprise, the Sewers boss fight is just as terrible

You haven't seen terrible until you reach the G adults. You can get past them in a certain segment where you need to get the three chess piece keys now. I mean you can... if you want to get hit/use defensive items, but it's a fucking chore. Especially if you're going no-heal.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »
I imagine the game is a lot more enjoyable if you do your first playthru on medium/normal like a normal person, instead of doing hardcore runs or ruled runs immediately on your first play thrus.  :-*

Just sayin. Its not too unbelievable that a game can be moderately challenging just from playing on default settings.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
Just watched Carcinogen's no damage run and his strat made the boss fight stupid easy.
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2019, 04:11:09 PM »
Just watched Carcinogen's no damage run and his strat made the boss fight stupid easy.

:leon Damn @ 2:15:00 mark he made the fight where I got slapped once (into caution) look easy-breezy.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:30:28 PM by thisismyusername »

paprikastaude

« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »
Finished Claire in 7 hours, Leon B hooked me again into another straight ninety minute session.

Everything is very good and an evolution of what they started with Revelations 2 and then 7. Except the sound design. What a nonsensical decision to make it so lowkey to the point of the first two hours of the A campaign being practically silent. I get that this is supposed to be more "grounded" and less videogamey, but even 7 still had things like a consistent save room theme...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
The difference is he was scripted in the original. In this one, he makes his grand appearance after picking up the Club Key (Leon) and from there he constantly stalks the building.

Problem is he appears ALL THE TIME, and he CONSTANTLY chases you and you're like oh shit whoops just ran into some zombies or lickers.

To "avoid" him you have to basically stand still in a room and listen to his footsteps as he walks somewhere else, or just duck into a safe room (not the main hall, he actually will come into there). But it seems like he's -always- within perimeter of you, so you can't kill anything, make noises, all that shit because whoops there's mr. x coming down the hallway.

He's just stupid and annoying. Should have been scripted.

My enjoyment level went down quite a bit after he started showing up.  Got pretty frustrated after making a run past a bunch of enemies and getting the final part of the station done at that point, only to get killed by him and it put me way back to a point where I had to do it all over again.   :-\
ど助平

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
But he has a new hat!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »
Beat Leon (A) Hardcore

Super Tyrant was fucking annoying with his insta-kill. Had to quickly whip out the Magnum and pop one to stagger him long enough to hit the buzzer / Rocket Launcher.

Claire B next boys
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2019, 12:32:38 AM »
Clare A is actually pretty different from Leon B where-as before only like the Chief's office/helicopter area was different.

Sadly, you can't go into the jail. :( And you only get three of the card-themed keys for either character (AFAIK, I couldn't find the Club key as Claire).

Sherry's segment is fucking awful. I long for the day of running through the sewers and doing box pushing puzzles than having that "hide from Irons" segment again. :yuck

I miss the Chief's infamous "...And to think that Taxidermy used to be my hobby... *voice change* BUT NOT NO LONGER! *lower voice/sad* Please, I'd really like to be alone now..." lines for his introduction to Claire. But moving the body to the orphanage (along with files to explain why the orphanage was abandoned for Sherry's segment to even be possible) is an alright change. Better than the throwaway Kendo (who you pass over/near). Though oddly the infamous start of Scenario A is mostly Claire's segment now, so I guess the Claire A/Leon B canon run after all.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2019, 04:07:30 AM »
Finished it with Leon on normal in around 6:43 IIRC.  Felt really short.  Mr. X brought down the game for a me a lot.  He's not unavoidable, but just super, super annoying with the way he works here versus original RE2 and Nemesis in RE3. 

Doing Claire B now and just finished the Sherry part, which was short and stupid.

I think this is a solid game and a good RE, but I definitely don't like it as much as the more action-oriented titles.  RE4 is still the champ and the best direction the series went in, IMO.  I like RE5 and Revelations 1 more than this, too.

But I'm looking forward to that upcoming free DLC "ghost survivor" mode which could end up making it really awesome for me again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:13:15 AM by bork »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2019, 06:18:55 AM »
Daddy Irons :aah
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »
Claire B done.  Mr. X didn't seem quite as annoying in her game.  Hunk and Tofu runs done too.  Guess that's it for now. 
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
Claire B Hardcore finished.

Final Boss of true ending (G-4?) was pretty dumb, but I got worried after the actual final boss cause I had zero bullets save some handgun.

Will do a normal achievement cleanup run then try Hunk
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »
Finished Hunk, tried Tofu and almost did it, but no achievement for it so who cares PEACE

Going to do an achievement cleanup run
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2019, 06:27:42 PM »
Also just installed RE2 on my Vita, god bless this marvelous device
fat

Freyj

« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »
jfc this game is gorgeous on PC

babyface Leon  :heartbeat

kingv

« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2019, 10:45:58 PM »
Reading this makes me think this one might not be for me.

I’ll wait patiently for more action RE.

mormapope

« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »
Got thru the Mr X section on medium difficulty with Leon.... with little to no issues with his encounter design? I got hit by him once, avoided any enemies I encountered as well. If Mr X found me, Id loop around in some way to get where I needed to go. I even followed right behind him and stealthily watched him leave the area.

OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2019, 11:36:37 PM »
I’ll wait patiently for more action RE.

Plz2BWaitingForever, kthxbi.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2019, 12:06:47 AM »
Got thru the Mr X section on medium difficulty with Leon.... with little to no issues with his encounter design? I got hit by him once, avoided any enemies I encountered as well. If Mr X found me, Id loop around in some way to get where I needed to go. I even followed right behind him and stealthily watched him leave the area.

i know how to deal with mr. x on hardcore bud. he's still stupid.
fat

mormapope

« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2019, 12:24:02 AM »

i know how to deal with mr. x on hardcore bud. he's still stupid.

Only stupid people find him stupid. He's the definition of "oh shit, guess Ill just go around him."

Instead of getting to a room in 45 seconds, it'll take three minutes if he's chasing you. That's like....a very minor inconvenience.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2019, 12:39:10 AM »
Cranked out a sub-3 hour S+ run (S+ is if you don't use any bonus weapons -and- only use 3 saves) for Claire A.

Was pretty simple, might crank out a S rank for Leon as well later this week.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/demi/screenshot/11386074
fat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2019, 01:50:52 AM »
I only had issues with Mr X once

spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the jail after you finally get the parking garage card, all the jail cells open up releasing a fuckton of zombies AND Mr X shows up, wtf man
[close]
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »
Yup, Mr. X can literally teleport to your location on a whim. Leave him in the Library, run to the OTHER SIDE of the building, not even 5 minutes later you hear *thump thump thump* like the fuck is that
fat

mormapope

« Reply #272 on: January 28, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
If Mr. X isn't a formidable, annoying, unfair, terrifying foe, what purpose would he serve in this game? Back on the PS1, they probably wanted to have Mr. X as he is in the remake, but there was no way of achieving that with PS1 hardware. Hence, in the original RE2, he's a scripted monster that doesn't pose a huge threat to the player.

If something is going to be criticized, the balancing of hardcore mode in general is the issue. I was curious and started a Leon run on hardcore. You have to have crystal clear strategies and efficiency to get past every enemy encounter in the game. It's not hard mode, it's some European Extreme or Veteran shit.

So yeah, on normal difficulty, where you can botch shit and survive, or experiment with encounters, Mr. X is a really cool element of the game. On hardcore, where you're playing the game as close to perfect as possible, he is a huge roadblock and adds an element of randomness to your run.

OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2019, 10:12:09 AM »
I think Mr. X in general is a good idea, he just needs some slight re-working.

I havent even brought up the stupid fucking john wick zombie grabs that goes on yet. That zombie you think you can zip behind? SIKE grabbed from behind sorry can't use defense item oops
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
The downtime of stunning X should be longer, but he's only in like 1 out of 7 hours anyway, maybe 2 in B-game. Was a fun enough diversion.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2019, 02:48:16 PM »
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2019, 08:24:57 PM »
S+ on Leon B Standard

Only three achievements left - no-item, no-box, and 14000 steps. Gonna stop here though, wait for the free DLC
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »
No item box is pretty easy. I don't think I ran into item box problems with Leon A if you do no health for a while. But the last boss is pretty fucking brutal (it's fast) if you don't keep flash bangs around to spam those for like 2 minutes or so.

I wouldn't recommend a no-heal run with that, personally though.
--
B scenario seems pretty rushed from the opening so far. Kinda a "why did they bother" feeling right now.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »
S+ on Leon B Standard

Only three achievements left - no-item, no-box, and 14000 steps. Gonna stop here though, wait for the free DLC

Easy-ish achievement list then? I beat Evil Within on AKUMA mode, RE2 hardcore sounds do-able. Gonna pick this game up soon
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:59:47 PM by The Sceneman »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »
oh damn, Mayor's Daughter tho :lawd

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2019, 10:28:57 PM »
I'm actually trying no-item, no-box, and 14000 on an Assisted Leon A run. Up to the Alligator so far (I also learned you can actually die here, my first time lmao)
fat

mormapope

« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »
I'm actually trying no-item, no-box, and 14000 on an Assisted Leon A run. Up to the Alligator so far (I also learned you can actually die here, my first time lmao)

On assisted, I imagine under an hour for a run would be possible. Saw a video where was someone got S rank with Leon A on standard in 1:12.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
Would the regen health on Assisted negate the run? :thinking I mean, if you're not getting hit it wouldn't factor in. But I figure the mode would automatically make that trigger a "no-heal invalid" but let me know if that's possible, I'd let someone on my Facebook feed know about that method.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2019, 11:46:25 PM »
So far my record still says zero. About to fight Super Tyrant @ 12400 steps.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2019, 12:02:38 AM »
1000/1000 Resident Evil 2

https://i.imgur.com/aDfwHf0.jpg
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2019, 12:16:08 AM »
Nice, gonna have to let that person know. Standard no-health-used wasn't too bad, but the last bosses were a complete bitch to deal with.

paprikastaude

« Reply #288 on: January 29, 2019, 02:15:58 AM »
Leon B, 2 hours faster, a tiny fraction of prior saves = worse ranking :confused

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #289 on: January 29, 2019, 03:02:24 AM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2019, 05:39:36 AM »
:rage 4th survivor :rage can't git gut
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:44:03 AM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »
1000/1000 Resident Evil 2

https://i.imgur.com/aDfwHf0.jpg

Fun and challenging 1k?

Yup, pretty easy 1k. You can cut down the number of playthroughs required because I missed a bunch of stuff the first time. But I wanted to enjoy the game first, then go for achievements.
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2019, 06:35:59 PM »
Damn, cant wait to play! RE2 was one of the defining gaming experiences of my childhood so I'm looking forward to seeing the similarities and changes. I've hocked a lot of my Nintendo collection but kept a copy of REmake to play through before I pick this up. I had better get started on that actually...

thisismyusername

« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2019, 10:03:02 PM »
>>448799480 (X GONNA GIVE IT TO YA)
>Shoot his fedora off
>GOES RAGE MODE
>BITCH! THAT WAS A 500 DOLLARS WORTH FEDORA!!
>Moves much faster than usually

I’m going to let it sit, but this is probably up there with REmake as one of the better games of all time.

Everything’s so tight, there’s a lot of unnecessary detail that adds to the experience, they remix a lot of stuff and play off your past expectations, and everything just feels really amazing.

I dunno. On one hand: I respect what the team has done with the game. But on the other: I think I vastly prefer the original release over this one. Certain things (Sherry and Ada's segments, changing the outside area, etc.) just trigger the purism in me. I know the first one's remake changed things up as well, but for the most part the mansion was nearly 1:1 (IIRC, been a while since I've compared) and the new things they added (Lisa Trevor) could be mostly ignored.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2019, 10:13:27 PM »

yar

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2019, 03:52:02 AM »

It's like he's carrying around a Bluetooth speaker lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:20 AM »
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »
When you reach the final boss of the B-scenario with nothing but a minigun as the only thing with rounds left. :whew

Final Boss spoiler
What's funny is you just sit in the back and then fire like 50 minigun rounds right into the eyeball as it gets closer and closer, then you stab it in a cutscene and it's over.
[close]

Got small-carbon footprint and S+ rank for like 1-2 saves within a 2:30:00 completion time. Now to do Leon S+ rank. Not abusing the Samurai Edge infinite ammo as apparently that turns off S-ranks. :/

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2019, 11:28:54 PM »
It turns off s+ but you should still be able to s rank
fat

mormapope

« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »

First run I've completed after practicing the first half of the game a fuck ton. Picked up way too much pistol ammo, had just enough shotgun and flamethrower ammo to beat Tyrant.

Got small carbon footprint as well.
OH!