Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 49381 times)

Bebpo

Re: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2019, 01:40:30 AM »
Took a couple hits in the fire room and wasn’t carrying any health on me. Keep retrying on the crane part with one hit until I’m dead and 8 shotgun shells lol this is not fun. I should reload my previous save rather than keep trying this.

It would be fine if I wasn’t moving slow as molasses with a limp because of the red life gauge thing. But dodging in that small area with that limp seems impossible.

Bebpo

« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2019, 02:06:31 AM »
Ok, beat that crane fight. If you’re not cheesing it with flashbang stunlocks that fight is kind of ridiculously bullshit. I’d hit the button and he’d jump slash me during the animation and camp there where the crane won’t hit him and if it’s the red button and he’s camping there and I try to lure him back out he takes forever to do it and then I get hit by the crane myself. And when trying to run around him he does this spin move which keeps hitting me no matter what side of him I’m on.

Eventually after 30 mins and like 10 retries just stun locked him with flash grenades. Now I know where to use them all next run!

So I’m getting on the cable car and my ammo count is:

18 handgun bullets
11 shotgun bullets
25 mag bullets (haven’t used mag yet)
400 flame (haven’t used flame yet)
3 gunpowder
3 high grade yellow gunpowder
3 first aid sprays
One million blue herbs, do I need these at some point?

I’m thinking I should make some mag ammo and start using it at this point? I usually save magnum stuff for final bosses/boss areas.

Overall I liked the sewers with Leon outside the crane part which was crap. Went back to the mansion and finished cleaning up. Also I feel like you pretty much have to fight/kill everything? Those sewer monsters kinda blocked your way and there were tons and them and killing them ate up a lot of my shotgun ammo.

So you get this film roll in the sewers that shows 2 hidden spots. But the station map is all blue which means I have everything right? Wasn’t sure where that was or what it was about. Also even more lickers when going back :(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:15:06 AM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »
Bebpo, I promise you dont have to kill everything you see. You can run by practically everything in the game, even the sewer tunnel before the flamethrower.

You will get better at the game and be as elitist as me, youll see
fat

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
So you get this film roll in the sewers that shows 2 hidden spots. But the station map is all blue which means I have everything right? Wasn’t sure where that was or what it was about. Also even more lickers when going back :(

They're hidden items, they won't show up on the map. That's why the film roll literally says "hiding places."

Bebpo

« Reply #364 on: February 24, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
Bebpo, I promise you dont have to kill everything you see. You can run by practically everything in the game, even the sewer tunnel before the flamethrower.

You will get better at the game and be as elitist as me, youll see

Man, I'll take your word for it and I'll watch some speedruns when I'm done to see how people do it, but I just can't see how that's remotely possible with stuff like the sewer monsters where you're moving slow in the water and they are huge and like everything else in the game have insane grab range.

One of the things that I personally don't like about the game (not a flaw, just a personal preference) is I feel like the grab range for everything from zombies to sewer monsters to G bosses is insane in this game which makes running past enemies harder than any other RE game in the past. By the time I got out of the RPD I feel like I'd been bitten by 50% of the zombies in the precinct and I'm really not used to being bitten by normal zombies in RE games because they are slow and dumb and easy to get past! While they're not as fast as the crimson heads in REmake, I feel like the regular zombies in this game are closer to that than normal zombies. So many times I run by thinking I have clear space and then I get grabbed and lose 50% of my life.

Having played all the RE games since the original outside RE6 and the two Revelations games (tried both, couldn't get into them), I'm definitely finding that this is the hardest game in the series comparing them all to first runs on standard. Never died/reloaded the amount of times I have here. The difficulty reminds me of the days when Capcom made their games tougher for western releases and renamed hard as standard in the west. Feels like playing a hard mode on standard. It's doable, and especially looking back when you know what to do it's not bad, but not knowing what to do on the first run I'm having it pretty rough. RE7 was a cakewalk in comparison. Slow enemies + FPS aiming was so much easier.

They're hidden items, they won't show up on the map. That's why the film roll literally says "hiding places."

:'(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #365 on: February 24, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »
Just enjoy the game for now, learn what works and what doesn't. Apply it to your Claire B scenario and you'll notice you will play much better.
fat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2019, 07:34:54 PM »
Bebpo are you playing on standard or hardcore?
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »
So I beat it with Leon today. The labs section was fine. Not sure why the game suddenly gives me 100 handgun ammo at the final 2 bosses/area since by then you don't need the handgun anymore. Ammo count was pretty close for me in the end. Got the rocket launcher when had 4 MAG shots left, 0 shotgun, but did have a bunch of life. I did have about 400-500 in flame put away in the box though. The G fight wasn't bad for ammo with the mag, but the last fight felt like it took 20 mag shots to the head or something before the cutscene triggered.

Also I had all these blue herbs that I never used once?? What are blue herbs for? Is it only on hardcore?

It's weird, outside the dumb crane bit of cramped insta-deaths, I had like zero problems and enjoyed the game from the sewers until the ending and it was fun RE. But the RPD section was frustrating and hard as hell. Especially with Mr. X. Really disliked that mechanic and it made a bunch of parts a huge pain in the ass.

Now I started Claire B on standard thinking I got this and I just shut down the system in a rage quit after an hour or so because I'm struggling so.goddamn.hard on Claire B in the RPD. I've realized the zombies are the hardest enemy in the game for me in this remake. I keep getting stuck in narrow hallways with a couple of zombies and no ammo and I'm fucked. I'm having serious fucking ammo issues with Claire B since all the ammo drops are for the quickdraw pistol which sucks and takes 8,000 years to reload and burns through ammo super fast. I get gunpowder but it makes normal handgun ammo that the gun can't use?? Also Mr. X chasing you right from the very start so you have to do the entire RPD with him on your ass and a million zombies and no ammo and I keep getting grabbed and dying and fuck this shit I'm out.

I even thought I'd be clever this time around and use the boards on the windows frequently to lessen the zombies in the RPD but in Claire B they keep BREAKING THE THROUGH THE WINDOWS BEFORE I EVEN GET TO THEM so there's all these boards and nothing to board up -_-

Whatever, I'm giving up all pride and gonna restart Claire B on assisted because I just can't fucking handle this. If there was no Mr.X and I could take my time aiming at zombies and avoiding them, that's one thing. But I spend like 10 shots of ammo to take out their fucking leg and then I'm out of ammo and later on I end up coming back to the area and there's like 3 of them blocking my path crawling on the ground with Mr. X behind me. Arghhhhh.

Also going back to limited inventory with all these items to grab everywhere and no ammo box/save in the main hall sucks. Yeah, I can't deal with this. I'm bad at this game (got a B with Leon, 7:30 but real time probably like 11-12 hours and 65 saves) and I only enjoy it when I have a decent amount of ammo, a shotgun or better and can play at my own speed aka The Sewers/Lab.

Bebpo are you playing on standard or hardcore?

Standard. I am very bad at 3rd person shooting. I play menu based games and sword fighting games with i-frame dodge buttons.

Bebpo

« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
Ok, I'm googling around and reading that apparently Claire B is much harder than Leon A (and apparently Claire A is easier than Leon A). So I'm not just going crazy thinking I finally got the hang of things with Leon in A and Claire B should be much easier with the knowledge and skills I've gained... and then getting my ass kicked on Claire B.

Still gonna be lame and restart Claire B on assisted. I was up for an easier run than I just did on Leon A, but not in the mood for a harder run that continues the frustration.

Also I read that once you know where Mr. X triggers in Claire B, it's best to not trigger it until you've done everything else you can. I triggered it like 5 mins into entering the RPD and didn't even have the spade key/any keys :|

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
Lol, I tried to be nice and supportive but you arent helping
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2019, 08:49:47 PM »

Justin Beiber: Seriously, the game is not hard. WALK behind a zombie, and then haul ass/STOMPY STOMPY as you're passing by. They can't hit you. Shoot their legs, you can safely get past them outside of tight hallways. Or critical them in the head if they are absolutely in a room you're going to backtrack through to kill them completely.

You're making the game sound wayyyy harder than it is, espeically on Standard where you have checkpoints and unlimited free-saves to use to shave off time/get into a better game-state.

Bebpo

« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2019, 08:54:28 PM »
I don't even understand what I'm doing wrong. Like I said I've played all the REs and have never, ever had issues with them outside certain checkpoints. But this game plays so differently I'm just really terrible at dealing with zombies. Like RE1-Code Veronica I'm fine with the old school aiming and dodging controls, RE4/5 I'm fine because yeah it's 3d shooting but you just shoot them in the leg run up and kick them and the areas tend to be open and not super narrow hallways, RE7 you have a shotgun and it's an FPS and you point and shoot at the zombies moving slowly at you, again no problem. But here it's like 2-3 zombies per hallways, they move super fast, have large grab ranges, take half a clip of handgun or more to kill, take 4-5 shots just to take a leg off and then they're still a threat just easier to run by, and there's hardly any ammo and you have Mr. X chasing you so you are forced to speedrun everything. Yes, you can lose him but you also need to shoot at zombies and then he hears you and comes running.

For starters, what are you supposed to do about the 2 handguns Claire has? Because like I mentioned all the ammo locations are quickdraw ammo and all the gunpowder only makes 9mm ammo. Are you supposed to be carrying both and switching back and forth? The quickdraw just seems awful.

Justin Beiber: Seriously, the game is not hard. WALK behind a zombie, and then haul ass/STOMPY STOMPY as you're passing by. They can't hit you. Shoot their legs, you can safely get past them outside of tight hallways. Or critical them in the head if they are absolutely in a room you're going to backtrack through to kill them completely.

You're making the game sound wayyyy harder than it is, espeically on Standard where you have checkpoints and unlimited free-saves to use to shave off time/get into a better game-state.

Wait, are you saying you're supposed to be walking and not running when fighting zombies? I'm always running at 100% sprint unless I'm trying to hide from Mr. X or sneaking past a Licker. So zombies don't hear you if you walk?

Like I'm not joking when I'm saying if you put me in a narrow hallway with 1 zombie facing me, I am literally unable to get past him without getting grabbed and losing half my life outside spending 12 bullets or more killing the zombie. Put 2 and unless I've got a grenade I might as well just go the other way if I don't have that kind of ammo to spend.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #372 on: February 24, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »
If you're not playing Hardcore, just play Easy with Aim Assist. You're not getting the platinum either way, so who cares, life is short bro. :idont
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
Wait, are you saying you're supposed to be walking and not running when fighting zombies? I'm always running at 100% sprint unless I'm trying to hide from Mr. X or sneaking past a Licker. So zombies don't hear you if you walk?

No, you can stomp around if you want if the area is big enough (library) and able to zip around them. But certain areas will want you to walk by them. If you slip behind their back, they will not grab you.

Play around a little bit since you have checkpoints (reload the checkpoint if need-be) and see what does/doesn't trigger the enemies. You'll find out that you can dodge a great majority of the rooms and save ammo for the bosses/ones you DO need to put down.

Bebpo

« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:53 PM »
I don't care about the aim assist, I'm just hoping on assisted the zombies take less shots to take down so I'm not always out of ammo. Decreasing their grab range would be nice too, but I doubt they'll do that.

No, you can stomp around if you want if the area is big enough (library) and able to zip around them. But certain areas will want you to walk by them. If you slip behind their back, they will not grab you.

Play around a little bit since you have checkpoints (reload the checkpoint if need-be) and see what does/doesn't trigger the enemies. You'll find out that you can dodge a great majority of the rooms and save ammo for the bosses/ones you DO need to put down.

I didn't notice that there were checkpoints outside bosses? It would always just restart me from my last save....

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2019, 09:04:43 PM »
On Easy, there's enough ammo to shoot every zombie in the game until it falls down.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2019, 10:05:00 PM »
I didn't notice that there were checkpoints outside bosses? It would always just restart me from my last save....

If you look at the top left, whenever a bubble sort of ripple effect shows up, that's an auto-save. I know there's one on coming back with the King/Queen plugs when you cross the threshold of the door out to the infamous G-adult area, for instance.

Play around with the zombies, you can zip by a good majority of them, especially if they're on the ground, you can rush past the entire zombie group in the Labs cafeteria to the ladder, for instance.

FatalT

« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2019, 10:42:49 PM »
I can’t wait for the next round of free DLC for this!

Bebpo

« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2019, 11:00:57 PM »
Ok, so I restarted on assisted and it was too easy. But doing a 2nd run now on the first part of Claire B it was just a lot easier because I knew exactly where I was going, what items to clean up, what doors to open, when to activate Mr. X and the best route to get from the battery to the 3rd medallion and back to the Lion statue. I got past the 3 medallions to the underground passage save point in about 35 mins.

Then decided maybe I can handle standard if I know where I'm going and what to do and don't have Mr. X on my ass. So I restarted for the 3rd time and it went much better, but still pretty challenging. I got to that same spot past the 3 medallions in 55 mins and got bitten about 3-4 times and slashed once by the dumb licker because he decided to wall jump for fun when I was sneaking past and clipped me and then went on full attack yay. So I used about 2-3 green herbs and 1 first aid spray and spent most of my quickdraw ammo. Also I was reading about the game's adjustable difficulty and that sorta makes sense that instead of giving you 10 ammo or 6 ammo, it'll give you like 3 ammo if you have a lot so you're always running around low on ammo with just enough to get by. I wonder if it adjusts the damage too. I got bit ONCE and was in orange and used a green herb and...I was still in orange after! That was weird. Was wondering if it was because I was doing good this run and it was making things harder.

But even though I only have 22 shots with my quickdraw, I cleared out the library which will help tons for later and also cleared out the stairwell/hallway by the dark room save point/box since I was doing a million runs up and down while grabbing inventory in this first part since the box/save is gone in the main hall. I have like 3-4 first aid sprays, 2-3 red herbs, and 6 gunpowder, 3-4 yellow gunpowder and a handful of acid rounds and both SMG and Grenade Launcher. So I think I did ok for this first bit this time around.

There were still a couple of zombies I could not figure out how to avoid and had to waste ammo and my knives (I'm out of knives right now) on. For instance on the 2nd floor going to the east wing to get the sceptor there's a zombie in that narrow hall and I tried to stagger and run past them but I got grabbed and had to kill them. Then when I came back out after grabbing the sceptor like 2 of the zombies roaming around the main hall had followed me up and were blocking my way in that narrow 2nd floor hall in the main hall and I was just stuck and had to waste a bunch of ammo and knife getting past them.

Anyhow, I'm gonna try to stick to standard, but if I'm having trouble I may drop down to assisted, figure out where I'm going and then do the run on standard. I figure the jail/underground dogs/lickers/mr.x bit coming up next is gonna be the hardest bit and once I get out of the RPD the rest will be fine like Leon A was. So just gotta make it through that next bit.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #379 on: February 25, 2019, 12:35:40 AM »
Playing on standard was a breeze man, don't know what to tell you

:yeshrug

I literally killed everything I came across (even those fucking asshole G adults in the sewers) and had plenty of ammo left over, man.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2019, 12:40:14 AM »
Hardcore kicked my ass until I decided to be a cheesy asshole and use the infinite ammo pistol I unlocked for S ranking standard, tho. Then I just used that to murder all zombies and saved the good ammo/weapons for harder targets/boss fights. I know you can just dodge everything or stagger them with a headshot and get by but where's the fun in that? This game is about killing zombie, everything in real life should be so straightforward. See a zombie, fucking kill it.
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2019, 12:59:17 AM »
S+ Hardcore gives you the Inf. Ammo RPG and Gat. Gun though. So you should at least suffer for those. :lol

You can thankfully use the infinite knife for getting the Mr. Raccoons. So that makes things a little easier... provided you don't lose it as a defense item. :doge (Then it's lost for that entire run).

You can't use the infinite pistol, otherwise S+ ranking Hardcore would be a pure piece of piss since you could just down every enemy you need to down really fast.

Bebpo

« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2019, 01:49:46 AM »
Infinite knife would make my life so much easier. Kinda wish I used a walkthrough to grab all those on first run. Then just kneecap/down a zombie and slash them to death on the ground.

Got past the first G fight, parking/licker kennel/chief's office and back to Mr. X again. Enjoying the differences in Claire's run in this part. Acid round shots are pretty fun. Had to use them to take out the 2 lickers in the kennels because one was blocking my path and wouldn't move and killing it alerted the other. Doing pretty good and everything's been very manageable, haven't touched my SMG yet, will pull it out when it seems useful. I feel like the first part of Claire B was the toughest just because you have so little inventory space and ammo and there's a lot of zombies in tight corridors and Mr. X. Or maybe I just have no problem with all parts of the game on standard where Mr. X isn't chasing you, but stress the fuck out when he is.

So of course, now he's back! I'll try to figure out the fastest path to get everything I need and get away from him. Guessing it's pretty simple and just running down the fire escape to the first floor, across the station to the clover/heart room, up to the library and then clock tower. Shouldn't be too bad but Claire's side might throw in some new enemies along the way, so who knows.

Playing on standard was a breeze man, don't know what to tell you

I literally killed everything I came across (even those fucking asshole G adults in the sewers) and had plenty of ammo left over, man.

zombies take a lot of handgun bullets.

Also I think a difference I've learned on my B run now is all that gunpowder? Yeah, not wasting it making handgun bullets. I make 12 handgun bullets and maybe that takes out 1 zombie, maybe 2 if I'm ridiculously lucky (I almost never get headshot criticals even though all I do is headshots), but make 3 acid rounds? That's 3 dead zombies or maybe more if you hit a group! So yeah, I'm not holding back saving my good weapons for bosses/big enemies (not like they're many big enemies) and trying to whittle down zombies with a pistol & knife. If I've got some rounds and it's iffy and I might take a hit or blow a ton of pistol ammo in a spot, time for grenade launcher.

I'd also like to start using hand grenades since I ended my Leon A run with like 7 of them left since I never, ever, use them for regular zombie packs but I hate carrying a bunch of stuff filling my inventory.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 01:57:17 AM by Bebpo »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »
Grenades for bosses. Helps a lot.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2019, 01:08:10 PM »
why would you ever use an acid round on a zombie : (
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #385 on: February 25, 2019, 01:35:24 PM »
why would you ever use an acid round on a zombie : (

Because it's fun  :omg

Why would you ever use a shotgun on a zombie? GL = Shotgun. Same deal. Sometimes it's just quicker to one shot them and move on if you've got the ammo.

kingv

« Reply #386 on: February 25, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
So if you take the leg off of a zombie, will it be legless even after you leave the area and come back, or will they reset to full strength?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #387 on: February 25, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
bebpo hire me. i will coach you to be good at videogames
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #388 on: February 25, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
I saw something that said the A/B routes were a lot more distinct in the original game and people are disappointed by the B routes in the remake. What'd they change that people don't like?

So if you take the leg off of a zombie, will it be legless even after you leave the area and come back, or will they reset to full strength?

They stay that way, but can still bite you without a leg.

thisismyusername

« Reply #389 on: February 25, 2019, 04:34:55 PM »
I saw something that said the A/B routes were a lot more distinct in the original game and people are disappointed by the B routes in the remake. What'd they change that people don't like?

-No Zapping system
-Mr. X is A/B routes now instead of B only
-Majority of A scenario is basically in the B scenario with the added "secret" final boss
-Lab section has been entirely cut (maintenance areas of the lab) so what you see in A is what you get in B.

Bebpo

« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
Hmmm, maybe I’ll replay the original one of these years. Playing this has got me in the mood to do another run on REmake and RE0. Just saw they announced switch ports for both so maybe then. Haven’t played 0 since it came out on GC. Played Remake again maybe 5 years back.  Haven’t played 3 or CV since their PS1 & DC releases.

Bebpo

« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2019, 11:07:48 PM »
Wow, this Sherry orphanage part is crap. Stuff like this still has me concerned that the teams making RE when left to making original material don’t know what they’re doing. Ada part was kinda bad, but this is even less fun.

thisismyusername

« Reply #392 on: February 26, 2019, 12:06:51 AM »

-No Zapping system
-Mr. X is A/B routes now instead of B only
-Majority of A scenario is basically in the B scenario with the added "secret" final boss
-Lab section has been entirely cut (maintenance areas of the lab) so what you see in A is what you get in B.

Oh right:

-Claire/Leon sewers are nearly the same. Whereas in the original Chief Iron's entrance, and the Kennel(? IIRC?) entrance for Leon go "North/South" for each character. Thereby in the B-scenarios, you see the "other direction" for the characters.

Which reminds me:

-Underground parking area/underground of the station had a few areas cut out that included the Doberman/Dogs in them. (One of which had an easter-egg of "shooting the camera" if you aimed a certain way)

Wow, this Sherry orphanage part is crap. Stuff like this still has me concerned that the teams making RE when left to making original material don’t know what they’re doing. Ada part was kinda bad, but this is even less fun.

Ada's part is able to be done relatively quick, but I had Sherry's glitch out (not able to get the key) on Hardcore, which pissed me off since if you're trying to S+ rank Hardcore for the infinite Rocket Launcher/Gatling Gun, you only have 3 saves. So if you don't save before that part (and why would you generally, since you'd want to save in the sewers) it can completely waste like 45 mins of run-time.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2019, 12:26:46 AM »
The sherry part is trial and error, just learn it once and youre done.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2019, 02:50:52 AM »
It's not hard, it's just not fun and not RE gameplay and why interrupt RE gameplay with stealth hiding mini-game ehh. But yeah at least it was short. ADA's section was not so fun and longer.

Bebpo

« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2019, 03:14:19 AM »
Played all night from Mr. X's second appearance with Claire B until the credits. Was 5:57 hour clear time vs. the 7:30 on Leon. Could've shaved an hour off but I did some backtracking to grab every item, including going back from the sewers to the mansion to clear up when Mr. X isn't around. But real world time was much closer to 6-7 hours whereas Leon was like probably 10-12 hours because of all the dying and losing progress. Was pretty fun and felt like I did alright. By the final boss item box/save I had so.much.ammo and life compared to Leon A. I had like 10 health sprays/red+green herbs, hadn't used the Spark Shot yet so had 14 shots of that, hadn't used magnum yet, so had like 14 shots of that, had 200+ SMG, and like 12 acid/flame rounds and 50-60 handgun bullets. I didn't remember about the mini-gun so I didn't need half that. Also had like 4 grenades and a couple flash grenades. The last 3 bosses were all pretty cake thanks to all the hoarding.

But I got a C rank in Claire B vs. a B rank in Leon A? Even though I beat it in less time and with fewer saves? Weird. I guess the ratings are stricter on the B runs?

I liked the B run and the changes to it. Wish there was a bit more different in the RPD and Lab. Claire's sewers seemed easier for some reason except the one walkway where you use the maintenance key on the two doors and there's like 4-5 fast fucking zombies that gang fuck you if you don't kill them.

I think part of adjusting to Claire's run is that she has very different weapons and figuring out what works best on what is key. Like at the plant part I was in a dilemma because with Leon it was easy, just use flamethrower on plant guys, but with no flamethrower and limited flame rounds that I was hoarding for the final bosses (since flame seems stronger than acid) was like do I waste flame rounds on plant guys or not.

If I played it again, I'd definitely use more of my non-pistol ammo on enemies. I'd use flame rounds on the plant guys, I'd probably use my spark shot on the big guys in the sewers that are left after you grab it since it's not like you need the spark shot for anything, maybe use the magnum shots on a couple of the licker spots.

I was able to sneak past the majority of the lickers and that was helpful this time around. I found them less of a threat than zombies because of being able to walk around them. BUT this doesn't work when there are zombies in the room. So like because I cleared out the hallway by the dark room at the start, when I went back to develop the hiding places film and grab the last security hip pouch I could just walk past the 2 lickers in the area no problem. But in the Plant wing by the server room I had to kill the 2 lickers because if I walked the fast ass zombies in that room would grab me and I couldn't avoid them. And for some reason, like the guy under the platform in the spark shot room, it doesn't let me kill zombies that wake up for certain events before the event is triggered, otherwise I'd kill the zombies by the server room and then just walk past the lickers.

Anyhow, I still hate Mr. X. I just play very, very badly when he is chasing me because I end up with a zombie blocking my path and he's behind me and I'm afraid to shoot the zombie and alert Mr. X to catch up to me or Mr. X is right behind me and I don't have time to shoot a zombie a bunch. In retrospect these parts would be good to use SMG or acid round to take out the zombie in your face with Mr. X behind you, but I do tend to hoard my ammo. I am fine with Mr. X in empty hallways and areas because yeah he's slow and easy to kite, it's just dealing with normal enemies I haven't killed yet while having him on my ass is the kind of not fun challenging for me. But yeah, almost all my deaths and hard parts I have in the game are when Mr. X is around. When he's not, I can take my time getting around the RPD and be strategic about what to kill, how to kill it, and how to avoid enemies. At least I know how to get around Mr. X most of the time now. Like with the library I cleared it out before he showed, then when I was ready to move the bookshelves I lead him to the fire escape rooftop and threw a flash grenade and than ran really fast to the library on the other side and was quiet and moved the shelves and grabbed the items on the 3rd floor before the clock tower.

Oh and Claire's box/save room in the chief's room is pretty helpful for some spots like after you grab the clock tower piece just going across the 3rd floor and down the stairs and your done, much easier than the whole jail stuff from Leon's run.

Anyhow, unlike my dozens of frustrating deaths on Leon A, once I got past the first hour on Claire B I only had one or two deaths the rest of the game and they were all from cheap shots insta-killing me like after you administer the plant-killer and pick up the Id and you run back in and a new plant guy is right there and jumps you if you don't know that, didn't have any sub-weapons on me so instant death. Also bits like in the room with the spark shot, there was no way to kill the fat zombie under the ledge and everytime I tried jumping down it goes straight into a cutscene of him biting me from the back which isn't good when running around on orange usually! Instant-died :(  Zombie hiding like right behind doors so when you exit you get instant-grabbed always irritates me even if it's pretty rare.

But yeah, now that I know what to do, where to go, what weapons to use, I feel like doing another run on either Leon or Claire would be pretty chill at this point. Is there any reason to do a Claire A/Leon B run now? I'm gonna try the 4th Survivor and DLC scenarios next (probably on easy since I hear they're hard af), but might do another A/B run since it should go quick and smooth now that I know what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:48:51 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #396 on: February 26, 2019, 03:34:23 AM »
Hmmm, 4th survivor wasn't bad. First try got to the door in 11 mins and was lost in the sewers a bit early on. Can definitely do this.

*edit* I'm an idiot. I thought the end was the main door in the main hall and it was blocked because I didn't make it under 10 mins which I thought was required. Didn't realize there's more rooms to go lol.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #397 on: February 26, 2019, 10:31:38 AM »
As you play the game repeatedly (I've done like 6 or 7 run throughs of it now) you start to figure out which zombies will get up and what triggers it. Some it could just be getting near them, some get up when you go into a nearby room, etc. Those lab zombies in the basement with the two lickers don't get up until you get to where the lickers are unless you start shooting their prone "corpses;" take a combat knife and walk up to them and slash away. You won't waste any ammo and you clear them out for future headaches. Slashing with combat knives will gradually eat away at their effectiveness but way less than stabbing someone with them. At this point I know and kill a lot of zombies just by knife unless I'm specifically trying for an S ranking just cause fuck it, why waste ammo.

Basically: play like you're actually in the game. You're walking into an uncertain situation and you just left "corpses" behind you when you KNOW that sometimes they play possum and get up at the worst possible time. Wouldn't it make more sense to take them on on your terms than when it's a hassle?
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »
Yeah, I do all that already. But some I start knifing when they’re prone and nothing happens but then when the trigger happens they still get up. Just feels a little cheap but I guess they don’t want you to abuse it all the time.

Bebpo

« Reply #399 on: February 27, 2019, 12:11:59 AM »
Did all the Ghost Survivor scenarios on easy/training. Pretty fun. I like the arcade gameplay system with the drops and item choices. I thought the shopkeeper guy's was the hardest because a couple spots where plant guys block your path and I had no grenades or GL or Flamethrower and they took a ton of ammo to kill with standard guns/shotguns. The horde mode one at the end was ok, but not really my thing. Was expecting Mr. X or some boss to show up by the end since I got 2 shots of the rocket launcher.

Learned a lot of dodging zombies from those scenarios since there are SO MANY ZOMBIES (like with the girl where all of them pour out of the bus at the start). Was helpful.

Started a Claire A run on hardcore, actually did really well and for some reason I was getting a lot more headshot criticals when I had to shoot the zombies. Used the same strategy I did in Claire B of clearing out the hallway/stairwell by the dark room and the library which gives me pretty useful safe routes.

So here I was thinking Hardcore wasn't so bad. Since the item spots are the same and the enemy spots are all the same (no added enemies it seems?), if you know where to go, it's the same as standard but less forgiving and more bullets to kill enemies I guess (like I said, zombies I shot were going down easier than on Claire B standard for me). If I had an unlimited knife I could save even more ammo by downing enemies with the pistol and knifing them to death.

But then I got to the G1 fight and wtf. I was fine running around surviving. But I went into it with like 4 rounds of flame grenades, 1 grenade, and about 32 pistol shots and I used all of them on him and he did not die :X I then ran around picking up the ammo and hit him with another grenade and shot him a bunch more with pistol shots and he was still alive and I was out of ammo and I tried to knife him and died. So uh, I guess the bosses have A LOT more health in hardcore? I mean there's only like 3 bosses in the game (4 on route B) since the Crane fight doesn't need to use ammo, but I guess you're supposed to save all your ammo and bring it out for the fights? I still had a few more flame rounds in the box if I wanted to bring everything I have at this point, but that still sucks to have to use like everything just to beat the boss.

Anyhow, I think I'm gonna take a break for a bit. Maybe do a Claire A/Leon B run through on standard trying to get unlimited knife to bring into hardcore. I was thinking how not only would that be useful for slashing downed enemies until their dead, but as an infinite defense against front grabs that sure sounds helpful. I'd love to try to go for S rank on standard, but I have no idea how to beat the game in 3:30 since on my Claire B route I was hauling ass and I can't see myself shaving more than an hour off my 5:57 time. Would have to watch some speedrun vids to figure out how to do a 3:30 run.

Pretty good game. Looking forward to RE3 remake.

*edit* - Looking it up, I'd probably want to use a guide for Mr. Raccoons on assisted to get the infinite knife (might take a full A/B run, not sure which ones I'm missing) -> try to do standard S rank with infinite knife -> try to do a hardcore run with infinite ammo & infinite knife. Also looking it up it seems my problem on G1 fight on hardcore is you really have to try to land all your shots in the eye or you're fucked. I'm not good at hitting the eye when he's moving so a lot of my shots just hit him in the general shoulder around the eye unfortunately.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 12:23:56 AM by Bebpo »

thisismyusername

« Reply #400 on: February 27, 2019, 12:26:03 AM »
Did all the Ghost Survivor scenarios on easy/training. Pretty fun. I like the arcade gameplay system with the drops and item choices. I thought the shopkeeper guy's was the hardest because a couple spots where plant guys block your path and I had no grenades or GL or Flamethrower and they took a ton of ammo to kill with standard guns/shotguns. The horde mode one at the end was ok, but not really my thing. Was expecting Mr. X or some boss to show up by the end since I got 2 shots of the rocket launcher.

You shoot them 5-6 times...

In the bulbs and they die!

PatrickStar.jpg

*edit* - Looking it up, I'd probably want to use a guide for Mr. Raccoons on assisted to get the infinite knife (might take a full A/B run, not sure which ones I'm missing) -> try to do standard S rank with infinite knife -> try to do a hardcore run with infinite ammo & infinite knife. Also looking it up it seems my problem on G1 fight on hardcore is you really have to try to land all your shots in the eye or you're fucked. I'm not good at hitting the eye when he's moving so a lot of my shots just hit him in the general shoulder around the eye unfortunately.

You don't even need to do the pistol. Infinite Knife him to death on PC, or on PS4 knife him like 14 times, flash-bang. Knife him 16 times, run the fuck away if you don't have another flash-bang, otherwise flash-bang again. Knife like 15 more times and he's dead, if that's not enough, run the fuck away, grab the grenade (or two if you got the one before the fight) and grenade him 1-2 times, he dies.

Bebpo

« Reply #401 on: February 27, 2019, 12:46:06 AM »
Of course I’m hitting them in the bulbs. That’s a lot of shots though.

How do you even knife G1 without getting grabbed? I keep my distance in that fight because if I ever get close I get grabbed?

Bebpo

« Reply #402 on: February 27, 2019, 12:49:23 AM »
Also on hardcore after you get the bolt cutters and have to run through that west hallway again on A route to get to the battery, any tips for the like 6 zombies that are now in your way in the narrow hallway? I threw a flash and ran past the initial bunch but still get double grabbed and into red before getting to the door. Was the only tough part pre-G1 fight. I mean I have a ton of health items so one grab was fine. I think that’s the only damage I’ve taken so far on this hardcore run.

thisismyusername

« Reply #403 on: February 27, 2019, 01:16:15 AM »

How do you even knife G1 without getting grabbed? I keep my distance in that fight because if I ever get close I get grabbed?

PS4:

PC:

Knife damage is tied to framerate (you'd think the Japanese would get with Delta time), thereby on PC you can make it INSANELY busted by cranking everything to low and having a frame-rate of 200+ to stunlock or damn near instantly kill enemies with it. The above PS4 strategy will work on both platforms as a "normal" way of doing it.

Also on hardcore after you get the bolt cutters and have to run through that west hallway again on A route to get to the battery, any tips for the like 6 zombies that are now in your way in the narrow hallway? I threw a flash and ran past the initial bunch but still get double grabbed and into red before getting to the door. Was the only tough part pre-G1 fight. I mean I have a ton of health items so one grab was fine. I think that’s the only damage I’ve taken so far on this hardcore run.

You can ignore the fuse and just run back to where the bolt-cutters was/go back upstairs. You might face 1-2 flaming helicopter zombies, but if you're quick enough they won't even be in the hallway/a hazard until you're long gone.

Bebpo

« Reply #404 on: February 27, 2019, 01:54:48 AM »

PS4:

PC:

Knife damage is tied to framerate (you'd think the Japanese would get with Delta time), thereby on PC you can make it INSANELY busted by cranking everything to low and having a frame-rate of 200+ to stunlock or damn near instantly kill enemies with it. The above PS4 strategy will work on both platforms as a "normal" way of doing it.

Damn, yeah I might try that knife strategy with flash grenades on my hardcore save. I'm playing on PS4 fwiw.

You can ignore the fuse and just run back to where the bolt-cutters was/go back upstairs. You might face 1-2 flaming helicopter zombies, but if you're quick enough they won't even be in the hallway/a hazard until you're long gone.

Nah, I'm talking about a different hallway. The very first hallway you go from the main hall at the start of the game, long hallway with like nothing and you go through double doors into an office (where you climb up and out the window) which has a chain door. After you get the bolt cutter there's only one way back to that room because you can't go back in the window from the other side. The only way is running the long hallway again to the double doors but this time there's like 6 zombies blocking the way. I mean you only have to pass them once to get into the room and grab the battery for the detonator, so no need to kill them but there's a loooot of zombies. Maybe if you have some boards you can backtrack there before you trigger them spawning (since I think they all come from the windows?) by blocking a couple windows ahead of time? Idk. I still gotta watch a speedrun on the game to see how the pros are doing all these sections.

It's the hallway where on B route there's a licker from the start.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #405 on: February 27, 2019, 09:55:34 AM »
Before you trigger the helicopter you can board up all those windows.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #406 on: February 27, 2019, 10:02:19 AM »
Going from "man those gosh darn dogs" to "just gonna knife birkin lol" such a change of pace, bebpo you are a yung god
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #407 on: February 27, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »
So my memory of the original’s pretty hazy, but wasn’t this the game where they nuke the city after the train escapes? Are retconning that?

Going from "man those gosh darn dogs" to "just gonna knife birkin lol" such a change of pace, bebpo you are a yung god

:lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #408 on: February 27, 2019, 02:00:21 PM »
The nuke doesn't happen until RE3
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #409 on: February 27, 2019, 04:20:19 PM »
Oh, ok. Yeah it's been a while.

thisismyusername

« Reply #410 on: February 27, 2019, 04:56:18 PM »
So my memory of the original’s pretty hazy, but wasn’t this the game where they nuke the city after the train escapes? Are retconning that?

:lol

Biohazard 3 (Uptown, Downtown, Clocktower till Nemesis infects Jill)->Biohazard 2 (ClaireA/LeonB) and Carlos' segment -> Biohazard 3 (Jill cured of NEmesis-T virus, Water Treatment Plant, escape)

Now if you're going to throw in Outbreak, it gets muddy since certain scenarios are early in the outbreak (read: Before September 28th/Jill's escape) but not totally out of the realm of a week or so.

Bebpo

« Reply #411 on: March 02, 2019, 02:46:49 AM »
How does the G4 fight even work? Are there attacks you dodge or is it just kill him before he reaches you? I unloaded everything I had and killed him before he reached me but I didn't see any attacks or anything.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #412 on: March 03, 2019, 12:10:30 AM »
Man this game with surround sound is amazing. Just excellent sound design. I picked up the PS4 version after playing the xbox version, but also picked up a 5.1 audio system and wow. It’s rewlly added to the game.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #413 on: March 03, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »
The sound design is really great, I played my first several playthroughs on a good pair of headphones and loved it.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

BikeJesus

« Reply #415 on: March 07, 2019, 04:41:02 AM »
Whew

Made a little cheat sheet with puzzle solutions, locker/safe combos, and key item locations. Feels good.

My Leon A was over 10 hours, Claire B was around 6, and this was my third play-through.

Bebpo

« Reply #416 on: March 07, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
Impressive. Where did you use your saves?

I want to try to attempt this at some point.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #417 on: March 07, 2019, 08:41:56 AM »
Generally the best time to use your saves are after or before each Birkin fight, unless you feel comfortable going further in.

first save: when you reach the sewers safe room (or before the boss)

second save: when you reach the labs (or before the boss)

third save: before final boss (tyrant/g4)

This let's you re-do the section if you feel you can do it faster / learn the route
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:50:17 AM by demi »
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #418 on: March 07, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
Generally the best time to use your saves are after or before each Birkin fight, unless you feel comfortable going further in.

first save: when you reach the sewers safe room (or before the boss)

second save: when you reach the labs (or before the boss)

third save: before final boss (tyrant/g4)

This let's you re-do the section if you feel you can do it faster / learn the route

When you say sewers safe room do you mean where the chess pieces are? Or do you mean before the G1 fight?

Also I'd assume there's general time checkpoint guidelines for doing a 3:30 run? Like you should be out of the RPD and into the sewers by X. You should be at the lab by Y. etc... I also assume to save time you don't want to backtrack to the RPD from the sewers shortcut and get the weapon upgrades?

Actualllllly I just realized that on standard you have auto-save at bosses/insta-kill sections like Crocodile. That's helpful in case you die (I hate the last bite of the crocodile because the camera, would suck to lose an hour or two because of an insta-kill thing like that.

Oh and Bike Jesus, did you use the infinite knife for your run?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #419 on: March 07, 2019, 01:41:30 PM »
Decided to finally try the game, a month after the purchase at this point... and i finished Claire A in one sitting, playing all night without realizing it.
I noticed when the birds started chirping as i was making my way through the Nest, wtf.

Took me forever too, i used to clear A scenario in like 3 or 4 hours, but this took me 9 hours, lol (i did explore a lot though).

The only real complaint i have is the boring music, and i would've liked a bit more variety in environments, i know this is based off of RE2, but RE1 remake added some cool stuff and since here they even cut a couple of rooms, it felt a bit more cramped... or maybe it's just my memory.

Anyway, fucking ace, everything else, i loved it.

This is legit the first time in a videogame, where zombies were proper spoopy (even in Last of Us they were more funny than scary).
Great job Capcom, i hope RE8 is based on this template, instead of 7's (which was alright, i guess, but nothing compared to this).

And that gore/dismemberment tech  :whoo

EDIT: Also, how THE FUCK are you supposed to conserve ammo, when riddling those zombies with lead is so satisfying? I need infinite ammo.

EDIT2: Oh and the minigun is a lame weapon, i want the flamehtrower back!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:53:49 PM by Don Rumata »