Author Topic: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE  (Read 311201 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE
« Reply #1080 on: May 14, 2017, 01:03:33 PM »
The reddit is so awesome :rejoice

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6b3a1h/cig_we_complain_because_we_care/

It's still a huge sum, even by this industry's standrads. Especially when you consider that for now very little of it is going toward marketing.

not really, plenty of games have had much much larger budgets and smaller dreams.

As an aside, one thing that has always stuck out to me was Sandi's Twitter, or maybe its her Facebook, lists her as an Actress first. Besides the fact that she can't act, shouldn't she be our Marketing VP first?

I have swam through an ocean of shit because of this game and yet I still I am here hoping and praying it actually lives up to the dream.

Look, I've been a backer since kickstarter and I love the project. I also realize that Chris has great vision and terrible focus and Sandi has great greed and terrrible vision. It's just the way things are. These guys are fumbling around with too wide of a goal and some star players.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1081 on: May 14, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
That moment when they charge you $5 to upgrade your ship jpg :rash

$25 gets you a png. :rejoice
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: May 14, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »
plenty of games have had much much larger budgets

Grand Theft Auto V, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and maybe Destiny. That's it. And neither of those games had a production budget much higher than $140 million.
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1083 on: May 14, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »
plenty of games have had much much larger budgets

Grand Theft Auto V, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and maybe Destiny. That's it. And neither of those games had a production budget much higher than $140 million.

Do they have big schedule charts tho.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1085 on: May 16, 2017, 02:09:48 AM »
As a former Whale I agree with your sentiment... while most forgot the petty slights (because it didn't affect them directly) I remembered...
Take the vanduul Scythe... When it was first being sold CR stated it would be the "only insurable alien craft in the game"
This was later downgraded to only insurable vanduul craft in the game when the banu and Xi'an scout were coming out.
And then downgraded again to only insurable FULL vanduul craft in the game (the esperia replicas were a loop hole to break the previous statement without FULLY breaking it)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6b85vj/comment/dhksdmm

:rofl
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1086 on: May 16, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1087 on: May 16, 2017, 07:45:27 PM »
Need Kara to weigh in on whether this is a typical corporate tax loophole that basically ever company does, or whether this is immersion breaking.

Part of the reason the game will be in perpetual Alpha is because of tax reasons as well.
NO

nudemacusers

« Reply #1088 on: May 16, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
CIG backtracked on charging 5$ for the exchange token :

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6bitxf/new_5_ccu_fee_cancelled_0_ccus_will_expire/
good thing there is a clear execution plan for all this.  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1089 on: May 18, 2017, 04:05:58 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6bhlnv/can_someone_explain_to_me_why_you_care_when_s42/dhmse95/

Another food analogy for SC development.

Also who cares about release dates (or release altogether).
The ARG is all that matters.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1090 on: May 18, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
Also found on Something Awful this burger analogy for Bitcoin mining  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
look, it's simple. you have a Happy Burger brand fast food establishment, and sometimes kids come in and want their Happy Burger brand Happy Kiddy Burger, which according to the Happy Burger brand franchise operating instructions is supposed to be 4oz of usda utility grade hamburger lightly grilled and pressed into a poppy seed bun with two slices of mild pickle and a slice of tomato and a piece of iceberg lettuce and the name of the kid written on the top in half an ounce of Happy Burger brand special sauce about which the less said the better

so naturally what you do is, you post an ad saying, cooks wanted, please bring your own grill and meat and bun and pickle and tomato and lettuce, we'll supply the sauce

and you get an applicant, and you send him down to the Hall of Cooks, which is a featureless infinite plane that you keep in the unlit basement of your Happy Burger brand fast food establishment. and you tell him to just keep making burgers and handing them up, and if he hands up a burger that satisfies your standards, you'll pay him a bonus, which is $100,000, plus the price of the burger, which is $.50

now the cook can't see too good down there, and he keeps handing up burgers that are more like pickly meatballs with a swastika painted on the side in tomato sauce, but as long as the meat's cooked the health department won't shut you down, so you keep taking them and dutifully handing down briefcases of cash with a few quarters tossed in. and the cook's pretty happy, even after you summarily declare one day that you're only going to pay $50,000 per burger in the future

so the cook calls in a friend, and she sets up in the Hall of Cooks and starts handing up burgers, and now you're getting acceptable burgers faster than you can sell them. so you raise your standards a bit, and you insist that burgers have to be on a bun, and that cuts production back down to a manageable rate. but the cooks are still pretty happy, even after you cut the burger bonus again to $25,000

this goes on for a while, and now you've got a hundred cooks down there, and you've started demanding that they spell out the kid's name correctly, and that's not easy. so now they're not just making burgers to your increasingly exact specifications, they're racing each other to be the first to get the kid's name right. but you're still paying $5,000 a burger, and apparently the cooks are still happy, because more and more keep showing up

you get curious one day while you're squeezing into your franchise past the giant mountain of rotting discarded hamburgers, and you head down to the Hall of Cooks. the last time you came down here, there were only six cooks, and they were just standing around in a disorganized circle; but now they're organized into these large groups. in one of them, you find your first cook, and he shakes your hand. "remember when we'd just started out and i was lumping up store meat by hand and cooking it on that tiny old george foreman?", he laughs. "that was before figured out cookie cutters and rolling pins." he's standing at a huge professional-grade charbroiler with twenty-four different patties arranged on it; suddenly, in a single efficient flash of movement, he flips them all over. of course, the dull glow of the grill isn't enough in the utter blackness of the Hall, and most of the patties end up on the ground, which you suddenly realize is a lot spongier than it's supposed to be. also, doesn't the ceiling seem lower? you shake it off and head back upstairs to start taking orders, wondering when it'll be the right time to cut the bonus to $1,000

it's been another year. there are tens of thousands of cooks in your basement. you're rejecting burgers for sloppy handwriting. you're rejecting burgers for having too thick a slice of tomato. you're rejecting burgers for excessively clustered poppy seeds. seven months ago, the cooks started building floor-to-ceiling ovens with internal robotics custom-designed for making Happy Kiddy Burgers; now there are whole fields of them, each making ten thousand burgers a second. of course, it's still pitch-dark down there, and the cooks aren't exactly susan calvin, so almost all of those burgers get added straight to the end of the Great Greasy Mountains, but it's amazing how quick they come now. you overhear a few of the cooks talking excitedly about the orders they just placed for massive new ovens from Barbecue Labs. you don't know how any of them can afford this when the burger bonus is only $100

three months ago, you politely asked whether they could start making the adult Happy Burgers, too

for an entire day, all the burgers had your name written on top in poison
[close]
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1094 on: May 21, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »
CIG : If it's in the game, it's not in the game yet but you can have reddit discussions about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6chpxr/outside_discussion_on_female_character_model/
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #1095 on: May 22, 2017, 05:52:46 AM »
Problematic to the nth degree.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1096 on: May 22, 2017, 05:57:57 AM »
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1097 on: May 23, 2017, 02:29:59 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6by3m6/comment/dhqfasb

:lol

Discussions like that are why the terms Alpha and Beta, which once had real meaning and connotation and completely worthless in most software development now.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1098 on: May 24, 2017, 02:51:01 AM »
CIG sold a handful of ships with docking collars for ship top ship docking. Turns out they can't implement this mechanic and will maybe look into it "after release". As for docking to stationary objects, they have "long term plans".

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6cxkjk/ship_to_ship_docking_postponed_after_release/

[close]

"Misleading: Was never in pre-release scope."
Huh?
All those docking collars on all of the first ships and it's misleading?

This was clearly in the pre-release scope. As the kickstarter states:

"Title: PIRATE: A digital copy of the finished game for your PC with your Drake Cutlass spaceship ready to fly + 2,000 Galactic Credits + Tractor Beam + Docking Collar + Exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta + Digital copy of game soundtrack + Digital copy of the map for the game universe + Digital 42-page Star Citizens manual (digital tier, no physical rewards)"

You don't get much more pre-release than the Kickstarter.

Its a good decision. Think about how this would work.

As Matt said in the post, cargo doesn't fit through, so that is out.

People would have to EVA through the tube anyway, or else ships in different orientations would be a nightmare. So moving ship-to-ship is no different with or without a docking collar. Its a matter of EVAing with a tube around you that has complicated animations and tech, vs just EVAing in space. Maybe there is an argument for Atmospherics, but Airlocks will have basic EVA suits on them that are stocked as normal ship supplies IIRC.

So what else would they be used for? You will be able to match speeds for moving ships, which takes care of pirating. Mag locks and grapples are going to be a thing. There isn't really a reason for them to put the extra work into specifically having docking collars.

Other than them already being on ships and people having planned on using them when they pledged?

I appreciate that they have to make tough calls, and I'm not a game developer at all. That said, I don't really see how EVA is a viable option for rescue. If you have a disabled ship with intact atmosphere, but injured crew, are you supposed to stuff this guy with a bleeding leg into a spacesuit? Will they maybe make a vacuum sealed stretcher?

They've described vacuum-sealed medical pods for search & rescue in-fiction before, so hopefully that'll get implemented. That would also probably solve some of the physics issues of having to drag around a floppy body.

They have air-tight medical bags nowadays, for maintaining quarantine on highly-infectious patients during transport. Shouldn't be hard to do 900 years in the future, even in hard vacuum.

I think it's only perceived as not okay to people who don't really understand the state of the game, and the fact that CIG is often talking about concepts. Expecting a concept - be it a ship, a game mechanic, or a piece of art - to make it into the game in the state it was concepted as (or at all) shows a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how development works.

As long as CIG stays true to the spirit of the game (which, admittedly, is a nebulous concept), they have few other obligations to backers when it comes to specific mechanics. There's no reasonable expectation that every idea they have will be implemented as planned, if at all.

Now, could CIG be better about communication this stuff? Absolutely. But that's a different discussion.
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #1099 on: May 24, 2017, 03:47:55 AM »
"Most cargo probably won't fit through docking collars"

Seems like good planning :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1100 on: May 24, 2017, 10:44:03 AM »
Who could have known that selling ships with hyper-precise features and attached gameplay mechanics well in advance of having any definitive design or a rough actual game outline would result in such issues !

Can't wait to hear news about the gameplay for the "science" and "farming" modules on that 850$ spaceship.

EDIT : Also another dev speaking of servers and netcode.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6cyil1/clive_sherman_explains_number_of_players_in_an/

Not a dev, but it really doesn't read as something that will be sorted or implemented soon.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:25:57 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1101 on: May 26, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »
It's okay they added more delays to the schedule today.
NO

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1102 on: May 26, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
None of this makes any sense. We're talking about basically some kind of tube that connects two ships? That's a major technical issue?

Well you see their network is like a series of tubes and...
___

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1103 on: May 27, 2017, 02:45:18 AM »
None of this makes any sense.

That's a good summation of Star Citizen.
As for the tube : CIG has been touting for a long time that they'll have "multiple localized physics grids" i.e. when you're floating in space you're in 0G and when you enter a space station, you switch to whatever gravity is there. Fans are speculating that's the hurdle for having two ships linked via a tubeway (since the dev said "you can't link two ships in movement or which have the capacity for movement").

I'm no game dev but I must say I'm a bit dumbfounded of those two things presented as major challenges. And by the way, I believe I read some other game did have the docking collar implemented (probably Hellion).

ROVER AND DRAGONFLY IN SHIPS
Players will be able to transport the Ursa Rover and the Dragonfly inside ships that are big enough to hold them
Work on this is delayed due to needing ship physics to be altered to allow for vehicles to be placed inside
ETA is 2nd June (was 31st May)

PHYSICS SERIALIZATION
This will fix a few long standing threading issues between the network and physics code which will improve separation of physics and netcode for better maintainability.
Delayed due to Network needing to fix bugs that were blocking other departments from continuing their feature work.
ETA is 2nd June (was 26th May)

My other remark is that the production report CIG gives us is getting more and more inconsistent week after week. Text is contradicting images on an increasing number of tasks, and the global schedule is itself drifting away from the 3.0.0 schedule on their common tasks. I'm doing my best to maintain consistency in my reports, but don't be surprised if there are a few dates jumps here and there. CIG, if you need any proofreading, I can help!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6dk9uk/300_and_global_progress_watch_update_20170526/

:doge

Also, probably no link to Star Citizen, but Andy Serkis's studio is going through financial troubles.

Hello everyone, my name is Brian Chambers and I’m the development Director of Frankfurt Office of Foundry 42. This past month the team welcomed a few new members, bringing us up to a total now 74 employee’s. (...) The game programming team in Frankfurt has grown over the past few months. The team is currently three people with one lead and two regulars.

https://relay.sc/transcript/around-the-verse-eclipsing-the-competition

Wait... What ?

Quote from: From Something Awful
Wouldn't it be hilarious, if come to find out all the 400 odd staff they have, is just CIG counting the entire staff of all the companies they're contracting work out to, not just the people that are actively working on the CIG contracts.

Quote from: Derek Smart on twitter
Also been shown the official internal schedule. OMG!! It looks NOTHING like the public one. It projects both games to 2021 <-- LOL!!

Hey, it's Derek Smart, but bluemax heard something like that from an ex-CIG employee so...
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1104 on: May 28, 2017, 12:50:40 AM »
I think it's only perceived as not okay to people who don't really understand the state of the game, and the fact that CIG is often talking about concepts. Expecting a concept - be it a ship, a game mechanic, or a piece of art - to make it into the game in the state it was concepted as (or at all) shows a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of how development works.

As long as CIG stays true to the spirit of the game (which, admittedly, is a nebulous concept), they have few other obligations to backers when it comes to specific mechanics.
With a little tweaking, this could be used as an all-purpose excuse for every kind of failure ever.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1105 on: May 28, 2017, 03:57:50 AM »
It's Sunday, art time !

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6dohj4/marines_last_stand/

Also "Hey they have to have income for banks" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMABmQvqfv0#t=2480s

Mischief at the "Derek Smart is a mean boy" reddit "archiving" all the bad things Derek says about Star Citizen :

https://twitter.com/AkiranBlade/status/868132705942118405
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:05:10 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #1106 on: May 28, 2017, 07:59:43 AM »
You mean a different picture?  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1107 on: May 28, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »

I've recently repeatedly made the bad decision to read responses at Quora.com — recently Star Citizen was offered as an answer to the question "What game has the best graphics?"

Realizing that I was dealing with a special form of crazy, I backed slowly away from the keyboard, avoiding engaging the responder.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1108 on: May 29, 2017, 04:29:00 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm pretty sure this is the same as the Master Chef Halo Space Helmet

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1109 on: May 29, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6dwd6g/comment/di5ws9f

I'm not trying to be shitty, and I can see that you're getting the whole 9 yards from this post, so just take this as info with no other intent on it except to inform...
The update we get on Fridays is their internal schedule, which are agressive goals for each department to finish a particular item by. Sometimes these finish early, more often they go past. But they are not deadlines, and they are not release dates by any means. This is meant to give us an idea of where they're at, and how close we're getting to the next big milestone.
The very fact that's its updated for us every Friday confirms that this schedule is always changing. People in CIG arent,getting in trouble when they dont make these goals because they are just that, goals. And aggressive ones at that.
Don't take all your responses too hard here. Most major gaming publications make,the exact same mistake you did, although, I feel that they make the mistake a lot less innocently, and even viciously at times... But for 4 years, whenever CR says a date, people instantly say that we are being promised said thing by that date, and that the moment it passes, CIG has lied or cheated us or whatever. Some of us here are just a little passionate about not twisting those hopeful goal dates, into concrete release dates.

CIG is in an odd position. They have to deliver their alpha patches with an abnormally high degree of polish (...) It's fun to call ourselves investors, and the quotation "backers" as if we are secretly using the wrong word. The reason we are indeed backers, and not investors, is that we have no legal stake in the company, and have no legal power, or say in the direction the company goes, nor its product. We are fortunate that CIG chooses to listen to us; and it is also arguably to their benefit that they do, they are still under no obligation to do so. So call yourself an investor all you want, you're still a backer.

:delicious

Star Citizen : Redefining release dates since 2014.
ὕβρις

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1110 on: May 29, 2017, 06:26:49 PM »

I've recently repeatedly made the bad decision to read responses at Quora.com — recently Star Citizen was offered as an answer to the question "What game has the best graphics?"

Realizing that I was dealing with a special form of crazy, I backed slowly away from the keyboard, avoiding engaging the responder.

I've noticed that Quora also seems to have a lot of pro-Chinese Communist Party posters for some reason; coincidence?
QED

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1111 on: May 31, 2017, 06:22:42 PM »
Dreams:hack

Hacking in this game must be deeper than a minigame but not so deep that you have to be skilled at an IRL programming language to do it.

Just a couple notches shy of that would be the best !

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6efjha/hacking_in_this_game_must_be_deeper_than_a/

I think the perfect balance of this is the game "Hacknet." If you haven't played it and are interested in the hacking mechanic in SC, just get it - it's a good game.

I think an easy to use yet hard to master system would be great for all of the mini games.

Also hopefully, all minigames should be good if possible. In my opinion.

Yeahn a 'connect the circuit's game or 'navigate the maze' game would be shitty. But an original, simple scripting language that everyone would have to learn would be legit.

In a lot of senses this is what CIG has been doing all along. Lot at what they have in mind (can't stress that enough) for game elements like Mining, healing, E-War and repair and maintenance. They plan on creating deep systems for their respective mechanics.

In my opinion while I think maybe they could pull it off for one or two mechanics, I very much doubt they'll be able to do this for all of the ones they said they would do.

Why not?

I think SC's development is going to take many years before everything is complete (although it will be more than playable long before then). If everything goes to plan then money won't be an issue, nor time. This isn't a game with a traditional publisher dictating a deadline, which often leaves devs wishing that they could include a certain mechanic but just couldn't fit it in, why would they not be able to include deep mechanics like these?

They still have an infinite amount of time to work on this once they get to the minimum viable product. Which is what they are considering their release candidate(I think). What's stopping them from doubling down on every mechanic at that point? Nothing.

If all goes well this will likely be the next EVE online, a game that runs for more than a decade, they'll have an infinite amount of time to continually improve upon this game.

maybe CIG could contract Zachtronics to do some of the advanced minigame design.

I could totally see players developing "hacks" in an ingame lab for later use in live situations.

As much as I love Hacknet, I would like the SC hacking to have the capability for even deeper and more detailed hacking mechanics since I got the hang of Hacknet really quickly. This allows more experienced people to make a real profession out of E-war and still have a Hacknet level easy version for newcomers.

:snob

That would be interesting, you would probably see secretive groups of players acting like the NSA, hacking into ships and bases and just learning random things about other player groups that could be used against them. Would be cool if you can hack in and listen to player comms and listen, even hack into an organisations mail system.

I was hoping they would actually implement a proper virtual network, with end nodes (like doors, coms, lights and such), firewall, routers etc. The deeper into the ship systems you want the more hardware you have to get through.

The defender could have traps, detecting and trying to cut off the attacker.

I'd like to see a player be able to swipe "code" from lower level hacking experience which can be used to do more complex things or do things faster. Further each componant manufacturer would have its own code base. So if you own an Origin product and practice hacking it, you might be able to hack Origin products a bit easier.

:doge

:ahnuld2
[close]
ὕβρις

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1112 on: May 31, 2017, 06:58:24 PM »
One more game layer is definitely what this project needs.

Just ask Introversion Software for permission to integrate Uplink. EZ PZ.

nudemacusers

« Reply #1113 on: May 31, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »
If the ships do not have fully functional and realistic HVAC / plumbing I'm canceling my preorder.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1114 on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
If the ships do not have fully functional and realistic HVAC / plumbing I'm canceling my preorder.

Also force you to deal with constipation/IBS. Pooping in this game must be deeper than a minigame but not so deep that you have to be skilled at IRL pooping to do it.
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #1115 on: May 31, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
"This allows more experienced people to make a real profession out of E-war"

Good lord.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #1116 on: June 01, 2017, 02:32:02 AM »
That would be interesting, you would probably see secretive groups of players acting like the NSA, hacking into ships and bases and just learning random things about other player groups that could be used against them. Would be cool if you can hack in and listen to player comms and listen, even hack into an organisations mail system.

I feel like this mechanic would become completely OP unless there were some really good countermeasures that regular players could use.

This made me realize something, these hardcore SC fans want it to be like Eve Online but bigger.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:54:53 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1118 on: June 01, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »
On a tangent : Shroud of the Avatar, the crowdfunded (over 10m) game by R.Garriott, seems to be in a dire situation. They're having another round of "crowd investments" with some concerning info :

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6elvda/after_rereading_everything_in_seedinvest_im_about/?st=J3EGEW1D&sh=5b8560a8

But as for Star Citizen, it's really punching above its weight class
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:31:05 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1119 on: June 04, 2017, 04:03:13 AM »
ὕβρις

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1120 on: June 06, 2017, 03:51:19 AM »
The box thread is the best case against game crowdfunding ever

bluemax

« Reply #1121 on: June 06, 2017, 11:52:53 PM »
Remember that this was originally a space sim. And now 6+ years later we are having mega threads about carrying boxes.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1122 on: June 07, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »
Is he carrying a box ?

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/872165265336815616

3.0 is still being mocapped as we speak? Really?
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6fp8f2/30_is_still_being_mocapped_as_we_speak_really/

Of course they are still doing mocap. It's something that can be added on the fly once it's been processed, and it doesn't take weeks.
It takes days. CiG has a very efficient process for importing mocap data.

Do they now ? I don't think there's any evidence of that...

What?
You think they mo-cap SC in advance?
Only SQ42 had mo-cap in advance, since they had a script.
SC does not since it is a MMO and they are JUST creating NPCs and stories.
Their mini mo-cap studio in the US is basically a prototype where they are rapidly prototyping around it, to deliver NPCs and stories on the fly.

No game dev, but would have thought those do get a modicum of scripting before hand...

You know they have 7 weeks till the deadline right? they are likely just doing pickups anyway, it says "wrapping up". Also I'm sure they have tools to speed up processing of sequences, they did do a shitload of R&D.

Estimate. Not deadline. Can still be coming later , weeks or months even.
ὕβρις

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1123 on: June 07, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
This is still a thing huh. :lol
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1124 on: June 07, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »

They added another $5 million in the past two months [if the funding tracker is accurate].
dog

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1125 on: June 07, 2017, 03:18:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6ett18/atv_item_20_new_box_carrying_animations/

The problem is they are mocaping empty boxes.

I threw my back out just looking at these. LIFT WITH THE KNEES, JESUS

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1126 on: June 07, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »

They added another $5 million in the past two months [if the funding tracker is accurate].

They can milk this thing 2 years still, at least. Probably more, a goon joked that Chris Roberts would be making daily phone calls to the last 40 or so whales to keep open the office where they would nominally still be working on the game. It's hard to tell if there ever will be a real breaking point. I mean some of the backers (the "reasonable" ones) have accepted the game would release in 2020-2021 at the earliest and the mantra "I want them to take all the time they need for it to be perfect" is readily accepted.

What we can do while traveling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6fu778/what_we_can_do_while_traveling/

We could play board games with the other players on the ship. (kind of how table top simulator works) Could you imagen playing space gwent on your way to Mars? Or a game of chess on the table in the constolation?

(...)

If they really wanted to exceed expectations (more then they have) imagen being able to browse​ the internet from an in game console, then we could browse Reddit from mars. Or watch game of thrones on the way to crusader. Just imagen what that could mean for gameplay having a full browser ingame.

Read a book. It is what i did when I was trying to load into AC 0.8.

I just don't get you people. You are dreaming about features like wiping your ass on the toilet, pulling up your pants, scratching your ass and smelling the finger... come on! They can't even do the core gameplay ffs.

If the worst comes to pass and Starcitizen ends up just being a dream, at least we dreamed hard. Even if it was on the toilet.

Account hacked, email and passwords changed, everything melted. It's been over two weeks and no response from customer support

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6fa75j/account_hacked_email_and_passwords_changed/?sort=confidence

They are swamped with requests, Id expect 3 weeks before you hear back from them.

2 weeks is about average for CS response. especially since we just had a sale end and a holiday last week.
also it's the weekend.they don't work weekends.

Yeah that's our customer support since Chelsea left, unfortunately. None of my questions have been answered recently, at all.

You have spent an extra 300. Then you would be concierge and get faster service.
I am 50% joking, and sadly probably 50% correct.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6fj9op/getting_through_middevelopment_hell/dilcr64/

We live in the era of instant gratification.

The following video explains the issue that can easily be applied to the expectations some have of CIG but which isn't met in a timely manner. Yes, it is taking long but the soft reboot shows they are in a much better place than they were. I think it is best to see 2015 as the real start of the project.

The game is 4 years late lol
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1127 on: June 07, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
Damn Milenials expecting everything to just be handed to them right now, good things take time. *sells wedding ring to buy a new spaceship*
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #1128 on: June 07, 2017, 11:42:05 PM »
"If the worst comes to pass and Starcitizen ends up just being a dream, at least we dreamed hard. Even if it was on the toilet."

Star Citizen in a nutshell.

The funny thing would be funding drying up and them having to reduce scope to just a Space Sim.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1129 on: June 08, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
Serious question: Why aren't these people playing EVE Online or Elite Dangerous?

Is Chris Roberts some kind of charismatic cult figure?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1130 on: June 08, 2017, 05:38:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/872883939102388224

Quote from: glossed on somethingawful
gif of david lynch calling lawyers at universal.
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1131 on: June 08, 2017, 06:13:20 PM »
Now space worms won't be in TWO games!

bluemax

« Reply #1132 on: June 08, 2017, 11:50:02 PM »
Serious question: Why aren't these people playing EVE Online or Elite Dangerous?

Is Chris Roberts some kind of charismatic cult figure?

Because they want a game that is both those games in one game + every other major game + stuff no sane developer would attempt.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1134 on: June 10, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »
The overlap is greater than one might think. EVE is sort of the stop gap game design solution to accommodate a massive multiplayer space game with massive space battles, giant ships and a real economy. "Space games" regardless of genre, appeal to their own crowd.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1136 on: June 17, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »
Money's gotten so tight at RSI that fans are having to donate food, rip.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1137 on: June 17, 2017, 06:58:24 PM »
Joking aside, they've released some concept of flying crab thing ("Fauna WIP"). The latest featurette has a dude going extensively into "serialized variables". It apparently sounded like a cry for help and more network engineers.

Also the SCHEDULE is claiming this week that the next update will reach advanced testers in a week or so.
Proof in the pudding soon ?
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1138 on: June 18, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #1139 on: June 19, 2017, 04:57:17 AM »
When did they switch to the FIFA engine?