Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 428796 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: Fightan Games Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
King still has the same wrestling outfit  :'(

Been playing a lot more Tekken. Online play is fucking brutal for Tekken Tag 2, learning the ropes against other opponents in a fighting game is always a brutal experience.

People are pretty damn scrubby online though. Most people spam combos and let the lag catch the opponent by surprise, people don't care about spacing or put any thought into the game. They run up to your face and mash until something hits. Mort often than not the game will stutter due to the connection and then they get their combo going.

My main is King and I use him solo, no tag team.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »
May have to change my main from Asuka to Xiao because this cleavage on Asuka will not stand.  :'(

mormapope

« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
Its very common for people to say something is scrubby while losing, but if someone depends on the online connection for their strats, and the strategy they're using is garbage outright, that would be my definition of someone being scrubby.

Once I learn how to maximize King's punishes and punish combos, that scrubby shit will be stomped out.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
You see a lot of scrub shit on USFIV ps4. It's hilarious seeing them thinking they're all that. Taunting and shit, and I fucking massacre them.

I used to be that person. :'(
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:02:56 PM by Mods Help »

mormapope

« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
Watching Juicebox vids, a lot of his rants about SF4 are spot on. US players depend on gimmicks way too much and don't learn how to prioritize fundamentals above all else. Japanese players are all about spacing and fundamentals.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »
That's because we aren't taught fundamentals. We have to learn it ourselves. And you won't ever learn it, if you don't seek it. Fighting games is a genre where it's really easy to get caught up in liking the smell of your own shit, limiting your progress as a player. To make matters worse, a lot of people only play online, so they only use strategies that work online.

What Juicebox vid you talking about? He hints at it in his footsies vid.

mormapope

« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »

OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »
May have to change my main from Asuka to Xiao because this cleavage on Asuka will not stand.  :'(

:dunno

Watching Juicebox vids, a lot of his rants about SF4 are spot on. US players depend on gimmicks way too much and don't learn how to prioritize fundamentals above all else. Japanese players are all about spacing and fundamentals.

This is me and has always been me, and I'm definitely not the only one who plays like this.  I think people who came from the 'old school' early 90s have all this shit down.  It's newer players who don't get it.  It's always amusing going up against someone who has memorized one or two impressive combos and literally has no idea what to do when he can't get close enough to get it started.   :doge
ど助平

Mods Help

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
A lot of players think these games are all about combos. :beli

Bebpo

« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »
Yo Bork, Undernight Rebirth on PS3 worth $10?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2015, 10:34:58 PM »
More pics of dopesick Bryan plz

Mods Help

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2015, 10:36:45 PM »
Uniel is an anime fighter with a less prominent air dash game. It's a more grounded game. Arc worked on the net play in combination with the team. Story mode is light affair compared to arc games. In terms of a healthy net ecosystem you're better off with BB or GG, but Uniel has its dedicated base and they probably meet up around Orange County if you check.

Bebpo

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2015, 10:39:34 PM »
Well I mainly just care about if it's fun to fuck around in Arcade mode for a handful of hours and play against local friends a few times to get $10 worth of entertainment out of it.  More grounded like KoF/SF?  I liked that Dengeki Bunko was more grounded and old-school SF style than BB/GG crazy air-dashing fast technical style.  My reflexes are too slow these days to get any good at that stuff.

Mods Help

« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
Yeah it's more grounded like SF. It's certainly worth 10 bucks.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2015, 11:16:58 PM »
Yo Bork, Undernight Rebirth on PS3 worth $10?

Wait for the PC version~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2015, 11:47:17 PM »
Well I mainly just care about if it's fun to fuck around in Arcade mode for a handful of hours and play against local friends a few times to get $10 worth of entertainment out of it.  More grounded like KoF/SF?  I liked that Dengeki Bunko was more grounded and old-school SF style than BB/GG crazy air-dashing fast technical style.  My reflexes are too slow these days to get any good at that stuff.

It's more complex than Dengeki Bunko and more "anime fighter" than KOF/SF, but for $10 and for local play, I think you'd get your money's worth, yeah.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
Perfect  :lol

ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2015, 03:13:19 AM »
Messed around with Undernight Rebirth.  Pretty cool.  Has one of the best Ryu character movesets I've seen in a fighter.  Main dude is pretty awesome.  The Chip-esque ninja character is pretty neat too.  Nice roster so far.

Mods Help

« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »
Really liking a lot of the characters in the beta. I see a  lot of potential characters to choose...now which one to focus on?!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2015, 06:17:29 PM »
dhalsim too much fun. matches are coming slow af tho

mormapope

« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2015, 08:34:33 AM »
What I realized is something sorta obvious with SF4, but it helped me immediately as Guile. Take as little risk as possible, and ignore the damage your opponent has done to you. SF4 online players depend on jump ins, with a complete lack of footsies. People's spacing abilities start and end at baiting a fireball and then jumping in.

Even with a life lead, many players make mistakes and bait out the same shit, even if you had a full bar of health. With Guile, his excellent defense makes players impatient, while his normals are great for punishing any mistake offensively.

All the chip damage in the world doesn't matter when you punish their eventual jump in, Guile has the best anti air normal in the game it feels like.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2015, 08:45:57 AM »
SF4 online players depend on jump ins, with a complete lack of footsies.

Well that's because online lag allows for jump-ins to have easier access to higher damage at times.

Online fighting game play.  :yuck :yuck :yuck

Mods Help

« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2015, 08:52:16 AM »
No, it's because most don't know how to play SF.

And Morma is right. I rarely fight players like that on steam btw. Steam has a lot of great players.

mormapope

« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »
Having played a lot on 360 and a decent amount on Steam at a friend's house, both communities have really good players and a ton of garbage ones. Wouldn't say one community is more skilled than the other, both communities are still quite big.

People depend on jump ins for SF4 because of lag and you not anti airing in time, combined with developing that as a terrible habit in general. They're doing it for a reason, they've gotten wins off of simple jump in combos.

You don't even need to be throwing out fireballs for them to commit to a read or guess. A lot of players work on a internal pattern and become impatient quickly. A lot of online players depend on jump ins, hard knockdown mixups, and raw focus attacks. All normals are good for are combos for a lot of people.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »
No, it's because most don't know how to play SF.

Because online play allows them to play dangerously and not have counter-attacks happen due to lag.

...Which is what I said?

People depend on jump ins for SF4 because of lag and you not anti airing in time, combined with developing that as a terrible habit in general.

Exactly.

Once again:

Online fighting game play. :yuck :yuck :yuck

Mods Help

« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »
It's a combination of both.

People abuse online tactics, but they also have no idea how to play the game and are playing the games with little tiny boxes of what they think the game "should" be (aka specials > normals). Fighting games are unique in that if you are unwilling to get better and address your faults, you won't ever get better. A lot of players get stuck using scrub tactics not just because of online but because they have no idea what they're doing, no inclination that what they're doing is wrong because they've gotten wins off of it, and they aren't willing to learn.

Blaming players like that just down to online play is hilariously naive consider many people think fighting games are about nothing but combos and that combos take precedence over fundamentals. Basically, your hypothesis makes no sense. If you really think flowchart ken exists because "online play sucks" I don't know what to say.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2015, 12:37:26 PM »
Hi guys it's uh been about 10 years, is Virtua Fighter 6 coming out?

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2015, 03:49:22 PM »
Do you really expect Sega to release something besides yet another bad Sonic game internationally? :point
Hi

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »
what if they put out vf5fs on steam tho?? :lawd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
Yes, it's being developed for Dreamcast 2.

...Stay tuned.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2015, 06:32:26 PM »
Yes, it's being developed for Dreamcast 2.

...Stay tuned.
9/9/19
BELIEVE
Hi

Mods Help

« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »
VF is dead. :(

Anyways, SFV beta is really fun. Hard though. Feels way slower than SFIV to me. Anyone else?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
Speaking of VF...

When SFV beta #3 went down for maintenance over the weekend, I played a bunch of Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition.  I got this on PS4 and Vita.  The PS4 version is literally a PS3 game on a PS4 disc-- you can tell it's just upscaled to 1080P and the sprites don't look all that great when compared to say, Nitroplus Blasterz, which actually has HD sprites (not sure if they're 720P or 1080P, but they look good on monitors).  That said, there's more way style in Dengeki and it actually has colorful, varied, and animated backgrounds unlike Nitro's static, dull, bland settings. 

This game is basically more of the same as the original.  You get four more characters and new assist characters, plus some new stages.  There's a fifth new character and her assist partner coming out this week as free DLC, IIRC.

Out of the new characters, Emilia from Hataraku Maou-sama seems to be the most popular.  She has a crazy-fast projectile and very good attacks all-around.  I also like the main dude from Heavy Object, who gets assist attacks from his buddy.  The other two new additions seemed pretty forgettable.  One is from that Railgun show and seems effective, but her design is so bland and so much like the other character already there.  Ditto for the final new character, whose series I forget.  He's just school student guy in white and is just sort of there.  The DLC character coming is from Sword Art Online and at least stands out, design-wise.

Like the original, I just played as Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles (you can zone like crazy with her rifle-lance thing and she also has some rushing attacks/grabs.  Fun as hell to use) and MUTHA FUCKIN' 2D SPRITE AKIRA FROM VIRTUA FIGHTER.  :pimp.  He remains a combo machine/beast.  Rush down fools and air combo the shit out of them.  Call out Pai to extend those combos even further.  :bow VF kicking ass even in 2D :bow2

Could have just been coincidence, but I found that the Vita version played smoother online against Japanese players than the wired PS4 version did. 
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2015, 12:29:18 AM »
more old man games  :delicious

and i've got one more on the way  :hyper

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2015, 02:54:42 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »
I played that in the arcades back in 2001, on my first trip to Japan.  Went to an arcade and thought I was gonna be PIMPMASTER, but just got PIMP-SLAPPED.  :lol  I could beat everyone I played locally up and down back in the States, when playing with friends, at work (game shop), and at the arcade.  Then I played this dude over there who used a V-Evil Ryu and just destroyed me with V-ism combos.  It wasn't even close.  :lol
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »
One you get good with Vism combos, shit is on with A3. I can pretty much only do one V-Charlie combo but it really isn't cool looking or anything  :(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »
One you get good with Vism combos, shit is on with A3. I can pretty much only do one V-Charlie combo but it really isn't cool looking or anything  :(

I was big on X-ism characters and A-Gief and A-Cammy at the time.  I only messed around with V-ism here and there.  I almost never use Shotos but I liked using V-shotos in that game.  Made them feel fresh again.  Ditto for the added normals they got.

:bow Alpha :bow2

I was so much more into the Alpha games than I ever was into III.
ど助平

Mods Help

« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
Alpha 3 was my fave SF at one point. Haven't played it in years. Wonder how I'd feel about it now.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »
Yeah Alpha>3 series without question imo. It's just so crazy...having full super at the start of the match was a "holy shit" moment for me.

:bow X-Dhalsim :bow2

Mods Help

« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2015, 03:13:06 PM »
Alpha 2 is amazing on fightcade. We all need to play some time

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »
Dammit I need to get on Fightcade
ど助平

Mods Help

« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2015, 06:04:58 PM »
Blaz Blue may be my fave fighter right now just by the virtue of telling you how to play each character rather than forcing you to tough it out and figure it out by beating up a training dummy over and over. Arc does what Capcomwon't.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »
I have a hard time with good players in BB.  It's hard for me to learn...I'll just get destroyed and can't pick up anything from it.  That QisTopTier dude on GAF in particular is a beast and used to steamroll me when I'd play him.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2015, 07:10:26 PM »
Dude is a good player but a shit teacher. Just how some folks are

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »

I wasn't asking him for advice...I'd just play and it was like "Round 1...FIGHT!  GET ANNIHILATED MATCH OVER"  :lol
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2015, 08:11:50 PM »

I wasn't asking him for advice...I'd just play and it was like "Round 1...FIGHT!  GET ANNIHILATED MATCH OVER"  :lol

Yeah, I've played him before and he tried to give me tips or whatever and just got annoyed because I wasn't a fast learner or whatever like him. So... well, whatever. People telling people to fight him are trolling.

Blaz Blue may be my fave fighter right now just by the virtue of telling you how to play each character rather than forcing you to tough it out and figure it out by beating up a training dummy over and over. Arc does what Capcomwon't.

Honestly, I find the tutorial to be bad due to lack of retention. Maybe it's just the way I played it (all in one clip) but video tutorials like:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj34EySs1IeZ8GpjKW8R2T6dzI6B3GSuH

Is better than Arc's. That's not to poo-poo on Arc's attempt. Just well... breaking it into sections and telling people to do that before moving on seems better than throwing them automatically into the next one. *shrug*

Mods Help

« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
Don't do it all at once.

It's too much. Concentrate on one character at a time.

But the point is, you have the character stuff. It flat out tells you what your best moves are and what your general gameplan should be for that character when you go to character strategies.

What you're arguing is the tutorial.

The character strategies are not divided into sections.

This is the character strategies section:

This is far and beyond any other fighter in terms of displaying information to the player. Could it be better? Yeah. But it's 999999999 x better than what other games are doing. This is essential because "what should I be doing with this character?" is the hardest part to break into when picking up a new fighter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:27:18 PM by Mods Help »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2016, 03:26:46 PM »
All this BB talk made me go boot up the game.  I had the J version and almost never touched it...the U.S. version of CPE is on sale for only $15 right now on PSN, so I bought that and went online.

Holy FUCK I forgot what a blast this game can be to play.  I actually beat the guy I went a bunch of rounds with.  Did not expect that.  A lot of the Litchi stuff came right back to me so I was able to manuever and set up stuff with the staff like I used to.  Forgot pretty much everything with Tager.  And I forgot how much I like Kokonoe.  Celica is fun too. 

The online population is even lower than I remember it being last time, though.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »
Almost no V combos carry over from SFA3 to SFA3 Upper. I got the nerfed version, shit  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2016, 09:25:08 PM »
 :neogaf

I've been messing around with ROMs on my new phone.  It's fun playing some good ol' Neo Geo fighters again.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »
On the plus side I have a shittier version of DJ and Balrog compared to SF2  :jawalrus

And Guile   :american

:brazilcry

edit: i am thinking of getting a cf card setup though. i can just play flashed games on the cards and i guess it's possible to run atomiswave games which means KOF XI, Neowave, Metal Slug 6, and SamSho 6
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:36:57 PM by nachobro »

Mods Help

« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »
Street fighter z ero 3

mormapope

« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »
Been taking a long break from SF4.

Really hunkered down on what fighters I'm enjoying right now, and ones that I'm not having fun with. Marvel 2 and Tekken are really fun right now, KoF and SNK stuff right now isn't. Been working on Third Strike and trying to find a character that clicks with me the most.

I like Urien and Akuma a lot.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2016, 10:52:24 PM »
I'd like to start back up on Guilty Gear, but nobody in Xrd ever really clicked with me.  It's weird. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2016, 10:57:25 PM »

:lol
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
I'd like to start back up on Guilty Gear, but nobody in Xrd ever really clicked with me.  It's weird.
same, never found anyone i felt like putting time into

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
I used to use Milia in previous games but for whatever reason just don't care that much about using her in Xrd.  I was using I-No but I'm really not big on her moveset.  I just like the character design.  And I'd love to use Potemkin -cuz I'm generally gonna use the smaller/faster females or the huge grappler guys- but he's just weird too.  So I'm hoping that I like changes in Revelator and/or new characters. 

In general I like BlazBlue way more than GG.  When BB first came out in arcades I actually liked it more than SF4.
ど助平

Mods Help

« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »
BlazBlue has a lot of characters and it took forever for me to click with the game's cast despite having it for a month. There's all of these characters and I had no idea who they are or who's who and it was and was overwhelming. So I read some of the manga and went from there. The fact that almost every character their own unique meter doesn't help things. At least at first. It's just so complicated, but in a good way, but also in a way that makes it feel like a barrier for newcomers.  That said, once I found characters that clicked, I really started to warm up to the game.

I vastly prefer GG's cast. It helps that I grew up with GG so its cast is something I'm more familiar with.

I really like the cast. I've been going through arcade with every character because I like them all so much. I haven't done that in a fighting game since....Guilty Gear XX. :P

I really like Arc's games and need to dedicate more to Blaz but my time and attention are on Xrd now.

mormapope

« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
Third time's the charm...

nah, fuck Third Strike. So much shit just bothers me while playing the game. Light attacks do around 5% of damage or less. The AI is all sorts of fucked up and dumb, combine that with a game that doesn't give a fuck about spacing or zoning at all and its no fun to play.

Half of the cast is useless, fireballs don't matter, emphasis on combos and using supers after a light attack poke. Third Strike is unique, endearing garbage that is overrated as fuck.

EDIT: Correction, light attacks doing 5% of damage is good or normal. I've seen health bars completely depleted, not a pixel left, and a light attack isn't enough to finish the other person off. What the fuck at that.
OH!