Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 428788 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Fightan Games Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »
I was all about Zappa, Anji, & Millia in XX series. Two out of the three aren't in Xrd and Millia feels different enough that I don't have the interest. That's okay though, I mainly liked GG for music/style at the time. Only animu game series I actually liked the play of is MB.

Mods Help

« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2016, 04:00:35 PM »
Turd Strike :aah

Third Strike is a 3d fighter in 2d fighter skin. At least, that's how it feels like. It completely betrays everything I like about Street Fighter. It's a good but, but I understand why it wasn't popular in the west until the Daigo parry and was even shunned by the tournament guys.

3S mega fans will always be the laughing stock of the SF fanbase. Always with the "what about 3S?!" schtick.

Garou is a much better reimagining of an iconic fighting franchise.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »
Third Strike is unique, endearing garbage that is overrated as fuck.
been saying that for years and folks always thought i was full of shit. really hoping that V doesn't turn into another 3

Mods Help

« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2016, 04:04:37 PM »
V won't be another 3 because of the existence of Dhalsim and Fang, whose play styles are completely incompatible with 3's barebones zoning. Say what you will about V, but at least it'll plays like a Street Fighter.  :jawalrus

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »
well that is true. probably not surprising that sim and fang are the most interesting characters to me right now.

really wanting to use gief and mika too but i'm unsure how to get in during matches, that was one thing i never got good at during the beta matches even though i had a blast with them in practice.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
i was gonna make a 3S joke about playthirdstrike.com/ being down but i guess it's back up now. so much for that

Mods Help

« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »
Tell a 3S fan that 3 killed the series for a decade and watch their reaction

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
From what I've seen and heard, the zoning game for shotos is pretty nerfed compared to SFIV. Tons of people have been bitching about the nerfs Ryu has gotten beta to beta, mainly having to do with viability as a character in general.

Good thing with SFV though is normals seem to do pretty good damage. Bad news is the range of normals has been described as stubby. I want to be positive about SFV, but at this point, with how each beta has been different than the last, its hard to get a definitive read on the game.

If it ends up being another SF3, not when it comes to design, but overall reaction, Capcom is sorta fucked for fighting games this gen. They fixed SF vs. Tekken pretty quickly, but people forgot about that game and people didn't forgive Capcom that quickly.
OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2016, 04:24:28 PM »
that's my number one complaint on V. stubby normals and small af grab ranges. but who knows what'll happen in the next month before it hits.

mormapope

« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
Would be a really fucked up history repeat if Street Fighter V ended up being bunk, but the newest Vs. game made by Capcom is viewed as a GOAT game that makes up for Street Fighter's shortcomings.

OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2016, 04:28:02 PM »
Most people have an issue with Ryu being boring more than anything. You can't even hit a  critical art on your opponent after ex tatu'ing them in the corner. :zzz A lot of characters have anti-fireball control but we should, if the game is good, find ways around that in the final release. The good thing is that there's no universal mechanic that allows everyone to evade fb's. Even Ryu's parry has a huge recovery window and can even whiff, unlike 3S.

From what I've seen and heard, the zoning game for shotos is pretty nerfed compared to SFIV. Tons of people have been bitching about the nerfs Ryu has gotten beta to beta, mainly having to do with viability as a character in general.

Good thing with SFV though is normals seem to do pretty good damage. Bad news is the range of normals has been described as stubby. I want to be positive about SFV, but at this point, with how each beta has been different than the last, its hard to get a definitive read on the game.

If it ends up being another SF3, not when it comes to design, but overall reaction, Capcom is sorta fucked for fighting games this gen. They fixed SF vs. Tekken pretty quickly, but people forgot about that game and people didn't forgive Capcom that quickly.

I hope they do a good job with it. I think they realize a lot is riding with it. It's kind of their star franchise right now. Besides RE of course.

mormapope

« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2016, 04:40:35 PM »
Capcom has been far more subdued this gen compared to the previous one.

Last gen we got new IPs immediately like Dead Rising and Lost Planet. DMC4 came out two years and a few months after the Xbox 360 launched. A ton of shit from 2008-2012 came out.

OH!

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »
I'd like to start back up on Guilty Gear, but nobody in Xrd ever really clicked with me.  It's weird.

Really? Not even the old XX characters that pretty much play nearly the same?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »
there's a whole extra goddamn roman cancel now. that's 33% more roman cancels!

mormapope

« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2016, 12:17:05 PM »
Played a M bison dude in endless recently on SF4. I was playing as Guile, dude kept getting the same combo in, I got frustrated, lost four in a row. He has 19,000 matches played compared to my 4000. Got really frustrated that I was losing in a matchup so much in my favor (Guile versus M Bison is usually doom for Bison).

I switch to Blanka, he switches to Gen. Dude has 3000 pp, and 8000 bp for both Bison and Gen.

In this new set, I win three in a row, lose one, win the last match. 

Why am I cursed to be good with Blanka, a character that's hated for the gimmicks he has
 :brazilcry

OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »
Start playing CVS2, dawg. Everyone good plays Blanka in that game.

mormapope

« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »
As a Blanka player though, I depend on his normals for poking and countering what the other person does. I rarely depend on the gimmicks alone for the majority of my wins. Blanka is one of the most fun characters to gain match momentum. You're allowed to turn your brain off and be extremely mobile.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »
Start playing CVS2, dawg. Everyone good plays Blanka in that game.

Wish it was backwards compatible with the 360. Might get the PS2 version soon, since I've only heard good things about CVS2.

Was hesitant due to only having a 360 arcade stick, but I realized recently I like playing on pad for everything but Street Fighter 4.
OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
Just emulate that shit on PC if you can. The PS2 Classic version on PS3 is really ass.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »
HRAP4 will be $99 at Fry's (in-store and online) tomorrow
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/684478060251328512

sign up for their email list to get the promo code: http://images.frys.com/art/email/010616_wed951lov/wed_web.html

Mods Help

« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2016, 04:16:14 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018AW408C?ie=UTF8&n=468642#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1452158065723

Going to be my first stick. Can't wait. Fucking back ordered though. Can't even pre order.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2016, 09:05:27 AM »
I'm just gonna stick with pads and get a Mad Catz Street Fighter V FightPad PRO.  I see those are back-ordered too.  I made sure to pre-order one as soon as they went up.  If worst comes to worst, I have a Hori FC4 and also that crappy PDP MKX pad for back-ups.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2016, 09:09:45 AM »
MadCatz only seems to do tiny waves of product now. Guess that's how it goes when you're about to go out of business.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »
MadCatz only seems to do tiny waves of product now. Guess that's how it goes when you're about to go out of business.

I hope they make it.  They used to make lots of crap but really turned things around starting in 2009 or so.

Guess they fucked up with Rock Band 4.
ど助平

Mods Help

« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
Will someone fill the void when Mad Catz goes under? Because I mean, I like their stuff and they've really turned it around and this will make the pad/stick segment of the hobby more of a monopoly. I mean, Hori's the next biggest in town.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
Will someone fill the void when Mad Catz goes under? Because I mean, I like their stuff and they've really turned it around and this will make the pad/stick segment of the hobby more of a monopoly. I mean, Hori's the next biggest in town.

It will be Razer

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Mods Help

« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2016, 02:41:10 PM »
 :kobeyuck

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »
As someone who owns a Razer and has had to get it fixed, Razer makes it pretty clear they give zero fucks about arcade sticks.  :lol

If MCZ goes under it's just gonna be Hori and PDP probably.

Mods Help

« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2016, 07:21:34 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2016, 10:14:15 PM »
blazblue iterates far too often by releasing full priced games for me to care about them anymore

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
Sadly. I was heavy into BB for the first two releases on 360 too. Only modern fighter I can for sure say I was at leat solid at and I played a rushdown character with low health.

mormapope

« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »
lowtiergod had his account suspended on twitch due to making constant threats, he then created another account, which got suspended also. If you try to evade suspension, the suspension time is lengthened exponentially.  :lol
OH!

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2016, 04:57:23 PM »
Low Tier Fraud  :lol

Viscant calling him "the black DSP" :sabu

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apologized for that remark by saying "I apologize. To Phil"

:dead
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2016, 05:06:39 PM »

Fun fact: friend of mine was the one who got LTG to ragequit his own stream after losing to my friend's hugo. New Mexico FGC making moves!  :lol

mormapope

« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2016, 05:22:20 PM »
From this point on, I'm going to main T.Hawk in SF4. He does a lot of damage with his specials, has great mobility, and his down fierce command punch in the air snuffs out all sorts of ground shit while also being a excellent mixup tool.

He also fits the motto of being fun to play even if you lose.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »
Work on your footsies with Hawk. Most Hawks rely on Condor Dive and gimmicks rather than core fundamental SF play.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »
Work on your footsies with Hawk. Most Hawks rely on Condor Dive and gimmicks rather than core fundamental SF play.
literally the story of thawk since ssf2, its a valid gameplan at this point :lol

mormapope

« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
That's one of the reasons I love him as a character, his normals are great at poking and he isn't a combo centric character. His fierce command normal in the air is a nasty mixup tool. If someone doesn't block the overhead, I get a easy combo and a lot of easy damage out if it. If they block it, I can command grab them, and the cycle repeats.

He's built around poking and snuffing out all movement or actions. He's a grappler that can control zoning and spacing from a distance.

The condor dive is a great mindfuck tool, both when it comes to punishing shit and completely changing the spacing of the fight. Moving around a player/character and not hitting them on purpose puts people on edge.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »
Condor Dive would be great for mind fucking. Do a neutral jump pretending to dive and they whiff or block, you go in and throw :lol

mormapope

« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2016, 05:41:07 PM »
There is a huge fear factor with it, which is why I do what you described. I'll neutral jump or do empty jumps with no intention of doing the dive, and then do something else entirely, or eventually dive in after enough time  :lol
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2016, 05:46:26 PM »
Mind games are the best thing about fighting games. Successfully fucking with the opponent's head, is the BEST. I love the conditioning element in the long game. My favorite is going in and using a long range normal after an fb for pressure and then when I see they're straight up turtling when I come into their space, I walk right up to them without a fireball or anything and just throw them. :lol

Fucking love it. Mental conditioning is the best.

mormapope

« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
Turns out I have the most fun and play at my best as Tony Hawk himself. Fell in love with grapplers at the end of SFIV's life, wish I stuck with grapplers sooner.

First match was pretty much a warm up. Both matches ended up playing out similarly, a lot of give or take with damage with the first rounds. Second rounds I had complete momentum and put the other player on tilt.

Definitely going to main Zangief, Birdie, or R. Mika for SFV.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »
Turns out I have the most fun and play at my best as Tony Hawk himself. Fell in love with grapplers at the end of SFIV's life, wish I stuck with grapplers sooner.

think of it this way. SFIV didn't have much time for you to get warmed up with anyways. think of it as a practice run for sfv to see what your preferences are.

I prefer footsies based character with great normals and zoners, which usually means charge characters like chun or fast characters like cammy or hybrids like nash. learning that info in valuable in prepping for sfv.

mormapope

« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
Very true.

It also comes down to finding a playstyle that ends up being fun, even if the outcome of a match isn't in your favor. I'll never want to dedicate a lot of time with combos. I'll always value good pokes, and high damage that gets rewarded due to patience and/or risk. T. Hawk has very simple combos and mixups but the damage is incredibly high. I found out I value those attributes the most. 

Finding a groove with how command grabs work and when you should use them made also me appreciate grapple characters a lot more.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »
It also means less time wasting when sfv drops. I love the beta for the fact I already have an idea who I'm gonna be playing by picking characters who use the aforementioned styles. I also fucking LOVE how they're giving the characters even more of their uniqueness this time. Feels inspired by MOBAs. Feels like SFV is all about the characters and not fucking OS systems like IV.

I want to learn Chun, Cammy Nash, Dhalsim, Ryu, Birdie, and Fang. I have no idea what people mean when they say SFV has boring characters so far because I'm interested in SO MANY.

Dat long range pokin', zonin', action. :lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »
I have no idea what people mean when they say SFV has boring characters so far because I'm interested in SO MANY.

They mean they're going to bitch and whine and call the game stupid/broken/unbalanced/whatever and keep on playing it like crazy anyway.

You know, business as usual.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2016, 06:25:12 PM »
"I can't jab into 10+ hit combo, game is trash"

or more like

"Pro-FG player said I can't jab into 10+ hit combo, game is trash"

mormapope

« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2016, 06:31:53 PM »
"I can't jab into 10+ hit combo, game is trash"

or more like

To add to this:

"I can't convert two or three light jabs I mashed out into a combo that scores me a hard knockdown."

"I can't counter heavy or medium jump in kicks with a level 2/3 focus attack."

"My boring and long as fuck block strings don't exist anymore! I have to use normals to bait out attacks now?!"

While the range of attacks or normals in SFV is a worrisome thing, the vast majority of players online for SFIV rarely use normals for pokes or for damage. 
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2016, 06:51:45 PM »

This.  So much this.  :lol

Fitst time I heard this was in 1999.  "I don't play Marvel.  It's..broken." 
"What do you mean?"  "I read on rec.games.arcade that thre's this Strider/Doom assist trap that stops everything."  "But nobody HERE would even be able to do it."   "Doesn't matter.  It's broken."

Rinse and repeat for every other fighting game except for SF2.  He still liked SF2.  Dude literally gave up playing because games were "broken" and he would never be as good as the "pros" across the country.
:dead

ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2016, 12:58:07 AM »
Speaking of which on community:

Right now the FGC is trying to grow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/422orf/a_user_posts_to_rstreetfighter_looking_to_find/

Mmmhmmm. :gurl :comeon I mean it's good the toxic players are finally getting downvoted and talked down on, but that's part of the front-facing the "FGC" has and the perception issue most people will have with it. SF casualizing alone isn't going to help blow the genre up.

Mods Help

« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2016, 01:04:16 AM »
I've never seen anyone LGBT cast out of the FGC since joining. In fact, most people are supportive in my experience. I know many trans people accepted, from Ricki, from people who KNOW Ricki, to many other trans and gay folks in the FGC. I don't think a couple of bad apples, who were down voted, speaks of the community or that we are trying to be more inclusive.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2016, 02:14:46 AM »
if anything fgc is more open than other gaming scenes from what i've seen

Mods Help

« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2016, 03:25:55 PM »

add super puzzle fighter to evo 2016

Mods Help

« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2016, 06:22:23 PM »
birdie looks fucking amazing.

His zoning is crazy. Love his mix of long range and rush down. And Filipino Champ's Dhalsim is exactly how you revitalize and recreate a character.

I'm loving the variety of SFV characters so far. God, I can't wait.

"If Birdie was in Titanic, Jack would still be alive." :lol
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:30:10 PM by Mods Help »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2016, 06:37:02 PM »
Thread inspired me to start playing SFIV again and it took like a week for me to completely give up using the 360 pad. I thought I could manage since my bff is pretty good at fighters and has been using the 360 pad for years with no complaints, but I can't get moves off consistently with it. Copped a cheap stick on amazon today, hoping that helps

Mods Help

« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »
Thread inspired me to start playing SFIV again and it took like a week for me to completely give up using the 360 pad. I thought I could manage since my bff is pretty good at fighters and has been using the 360 pad for years with no complaints, but I can't get moves off consistently with it. Copped a cheap stick on amazon today, hoping that helps

What stick you get?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PHMFU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
Not expecting much for the cost, but I'm not ready to throw the required money for a proper setup. Almost 80% of the reviews are over 4 stars though so hopefully it's not complete trash

Mods Help

« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2016, 08:19:55 PM »
I'm switching to stick as well. Pad isn't for me unfortunately.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »
Did ANYONE else here ever get into Tobal? I know the game is my personal dead horse to beat, but I love that feeling when I'm not alone.
:uguu

The first one was great, the second one was, at the time, perfect. I'm bummed that whatever stunts they did to get 60FPS out of it has made it somewhat ugly when running on PS3 or PS4.

Mods Help

« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »
i've never really been heavy into it but it's good. never played 2.