Author Topic: Fighting Games Thread: GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2 GAROU 2  (Read 428753 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Fightan Games Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 23, 2016, 10:53:06 PM »
I'm switching to stick as well. Pad isn't for me unfortunately.

I got a stick in August and put about 2 hours into it. I haven't touched it since. :lol Problem for me is, the stick feels wayyy too small/uncomfortable to put my fingers under in a "monkey" grip.

Mods Help

« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2016, 11:12:57 PM »
I find stick more comfortable than pad. Just need to work on inputs when I get mine.

thisismyusername

« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2016, 06:54:44 PM »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #243 on: January 24, 2016, 08:54:41 PM »
I FUCKING DID IT
2000 PP ACHIEVED IN SF4
GOT 700PP IN ONE HOUR
TONY HAWK

2000pp isn't that much, but it has been a personal demon for years. Bouncing around 800 to 1300 pp constantly. I finally found a character where I can fall back on fundamentals and utilize the gimmicks correctly. I faced a lot of people in ranked that had a ton of points as their character but not much BP, hard to tell if it was purposeful point sandbagging. 1300-1800pp but 5000+ BP as their character.

Racking up so many wins in a hour, overcoming a long time struggle.

OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2016, 02:17:40 AM »
sfv commercial is fucking AMAZING.

mormapope

« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2016, 02:29:27 AM »
Feels like Capcom is trying to sell SFV to a specific audience this time. Very interesting seeing a fighting game marketed as something for competitive players that stick around for a long time after launch.

Also, a daily fuck you to madcatz for ridiculous stick prices.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2016, 02:32:18 AM »
the stick i'm aiming for is 200. it's not that bad. the hrap4 has shit buttons and people replace them often. It retails at 150, so by the time you're finish with buttons it's going to cost in the area of 180-190 anyways. So it's not that much cheaper.

The TE2 is a bother, just get the TES+

mormapope

« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2016, 02:34:21 AM »
I was incredibly lucky to get my Soul Calibur V TE stick for $70 or $80 back in 2013. Only problem is one of the top screws got loose and fell off somewhere. Definitely going to need to replace parts soon in the future.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2016, 02:37:33 AM »
I worry the sfv commercial may limit the audience by concentrating too much on competitive players but i'm so happy to see that commercial i don't really care

then again, it shows you can play on pad and any one can play and no one cares what you look like.

one of the most progressive and positive game commercials I've ever seen.

mormapope

« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2016, 11:19:58 AM »
SFV to have a cinematic, Mortal Kombat style story mode. The story mode will be a free update that gets released in June or summer 2016. Game will launch with "character stories", essentially arcade mode.

You'll play as multiple characters as well
 :lawd
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »
SFV to have a cinematic, Mortal Kombat style story mode. The story mode will be a free update that gets released in June or summer 2016.

WOW. So the game is coming in hot. I doubt they'll have offline (read: still connected to Capcom's servers but doing story mode stuff) means of getting fight-money as well for a while. Which may turn a bunch of casuals (like me) off given the whole micro-transaction stuff.

Mods Help

« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »
This game sounds legit amazing

mormapope

« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
SFV to have a cinematic, Mortal Kombat style story mode. The story mode will be a free update that gets released in June or summer 2016.

WOW. So the game is coming in hot. I doubt they'll have offline (read: still connected to Capcom's servers but doing story mode stuff) means of getting fight-money as well for a while. Which may turn a bunch of casuals (like me) off given the whole micro-transaction stuff.

The in game store will open in March, where you can spend in game points you earn or buy stuff outright. Some DLC characters will be in the story mode. I imagine fight money will be mainly earned by online stuff.

I'm sure you can still earn fight money offline/single player, but it might be based around a challenge list or daily stuff having to do with specific characters. Land 1000 fireballs as Ryu, use super 2000 times, ect.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »
Is there a press release for all of this new info

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »
ZZZztory mode

mormapope

OH!

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »

The in game store will open in March, where you can spend in game points you earn or buy stuff outright. Some DLC characters will be in the story mode. I imagine fight money will be mainly earned by online stuff.

I'm sure you can still earn fight money offline/single player, but it might be based around a challenge list or daily stuff having to do with specific characters. Land 1000 fireballs as Ryu, use super 2000 times, ect.

I'm not confident this is going to have a solid launch with how they are planning out the content and everything seems to be added "Later on" and the stability issues of the beta. I just canned my pre-order and will probably pick it up after evo now. 

thisismyusername

« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »

I'm not confident this is going to have a solid launch with how they are planning out the content and everything seems to be added "Later on" and the stability issues of the beta. I just canned my pre-order and will probably pick it up after evo now.

That's been my plan: Maybe cancel in the next few weeks because I mostly pre-ordered to get into the beta. Plus the only pre-order "bonus" on Steam is the Chun-Li outfit. You don't get all the outfits. I was burned by RE0's pre-order fiasco about the retail/digital "collection" on Steam as well so I'm a bit miffed at Capcom at the moment. The fight-money stuff certainly doesn't help. I don't care about online-fights. Everytime I do them, I'm reminded why I don't get into fighters: The online modes are terrible and lag-filled/"lag-tactics" to where I can't adjust to 5Frame or more delay and I feel like my execution is coming out slopping/unclean.

I know Ono said they're looking into ways to allow people to earn Fight Money through three daily challenges similar to Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers F2P release and others like Hearthstone. But if it's just "go do online matches" I'm going to be pissed because I've been solid turned off COLD on Online in fighters.

mormapope

« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2016, 12:27:10 PM »
Eh, online definitely promotes shitty tactics or behavior, but its on you to punish those tactics and behaviors. Online mode is still the best way to constantly learn match ups, test your fundamentals, and apply training mode strategies.

If you're new to a game or type of fighter, yeah, scrubby shit that you don't have the knowledge of punishing will suck. But learning any fighting game outright is really hard.

Plus, you have to be ready for scrubby tactics in offline play as well. If you can't handle someone doing something dumb, you're gonna lose when you run into that type of person.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »
Case in point, the dude playing Rufus gets really flustered, and he loses due to overthinking how to punish shit and losing focus mentally because of scatterbrained play. Adaptation and improvisation are more more important than execution in matches like these.

OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »
Dealing with scrubby tactics makes you a better player. Just deal with it and play the game.

Online shouldn't be your main way of playing the game anyways. Online is practice; offline is the real test. Barely anyone uses footsies online or have an understanding of the neutral game.

mormapope

« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
One thing that does suck is when lag gets so bad that the game is unplayable. Unplayable means something different depending on the person. For me unplayable is when there's constant or consistent stuttering and inputs get dropped constantly. That rarely happens, but when it does, it feels like your time was robbed from you.

Smug, someone that mainly played online as Dudley and then started to go to tournies, has won some events or gotten in the top 10 numerous times. 
OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2016, 12:37:41 PM »
One thing that does suck is when lag gets so bad that the game is unplayable. Unplayable means something different depending on the person. For me unplayable is when there's constant or consistent stuttering and inputs get dropped constantly. That rarely happens, but when it does, it feels like your time was robbed from you.
95% of my beta matches have been like this. I have zero faith in the netcode for this game.

mormapope

« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
95% of my beta matches have been like this. I have zero faith in the netcode for this game.

:(
OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2016, 12:44:29 PM »
It's not all bad news. There is a very active scene here and we'll go 110% on SFV but just frustrating trying to get any matches in between weeklies and events. Perhaps the beta test was really that and all will be working well but I'm not terribly confident.

Mods Help

« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »
I had better connection V beta than IV on ps4

Sorry about that

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Maybe it's a PC port issue or a crossplay issue? That'd be a real bummer cause PC was so good for 4

Mods Help

« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »
My cross play results have been fantastic. Only issues so far are against people really far away or who I'm assuming use wifi. I had good matches with people in Brazil.

thisismyusername

« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2016, 04:37:54 PM »
Look, I get online is "practice" and "scrub/online tactics" are going to be a fact of life there. I get that. I truly do. But my point is: That mode isn't for me. I straight-up do not like online modes in fighters because 5Frame or more delays throws my execution or reactions completely off. I feel like I'm not actually playing an "arcade perfect" match. I feel like I'm wading in molasses and one-hand-tied-behind-my-back versus the other person. If you can deal with that, more power to you. But I expect better from online.

I'd say that's 95% of the time for me in fighting games. I've given up on the genre having "competent" netcode.

mormapope

« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »
Not to be a nosy rosie, but how well do you do in local matches for fighting games you play or have played regularly in the past?

For something like SF4, with its 40+ characters, I would be total dog shit if I didn't play online to learn how my character's tools work against a different character's with a human behind the wheel. Training mode is great for testing scenarios and specials/priority, but it isn't the same as a live test.
OH!

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
MK on CW, a match made in heaven. It's like the media version of a common law marriage in a trailer park

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »
Mortal Kombat X: Machinima’s Chasing the Cup follows Razer’s Carl “Perfect 13gend” White

Fixed.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Actually it's 16-0 now :sabu
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #273 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:16 PM »
Not to be a nosy rosie, but how well do you do in local matches for fighting games you play or have played regularly in the past?

I don't do locals either. Mostly because there is no locals around me and the ones that are quite a drive away. That said, I'm shit at fighting games and I don't expect to improve. Playing online with lag and 2 second execution delays aren't going to fix that or my completely rational hate toward fighting game online netcode, bro.

Mods Help

« Reply #274 on: January 25, 2016, 06:28:17 PM »

I don't do locals either. Mostly because there is no locals around me and the ones that are quite a drive away. That said, I'm shit at fighting games and I don't expect to improve. Playing online with lag and 2 second execution delays aren't going to fix that or my completely rational hate toward fighting game online netcode, bro.

Do you play over wifi or ethernet? Because if it's wifi, the issue is probably you.

thisismyusername

« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
Ethernet, always.

mormapope

« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2016, 11:07:37 PM »

If you don't think you'll get better or put the time in to get better, why are you stressing over lag and how that affects your execution or performance, why wouldn't you argue that lag makes it harder to have fun instead?

:confused

Worrying about execution or skill only matters if you're considering competing at all or want to get good in general.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2016, 11:16:30 PM »

If you don't think you'll get better or put the time in to get better, why are you stressing over lag and how that affects your execution or performance, why wouldn't you argue that lag makes it harder to have fun instead?

:confused

Worrying about execution or skill only matters if you're considering competing at all or want to get good in general.

You're misunderstanding. I care about not feeling like I have one hand tied behind my back while fighting with the other that has had half of it chopped off. That's what playing online feels like. It doesn't matter about "improvement," it doesn't matter about execution (okay it does for online). It matters that I don't feel like I'm gimped because the online purposely gimps me. Get it? I want as close to the experience I get playing offline/arcade/versus mode. But I don't get that in online due to online lag/frame-delay.

That's why I have given up on online in fighters. None of them will reach that level of "near perfect" status for me.

To put it another way, I can play a match offline and feel like I'm hitting my execution every time or missing my execution everytime. With online, I have no clue if I'm actually hitting my execution perfect or not given the frame-delay and general "lag" of the network mode. Sure, people can adjust. But I'm one that it really bothers to the point of not wanting to touch the online mode. That's the issue.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:22:32 PM by thisismyusername »

mormapope

« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2016, 11:24:45 PM »
Hopefully, one day, you can join the rest of us in this gimp eat gimp world

OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #279 on: January 25, 2016, 11:27:31 PM »
Hopefully, one day, you can join the rest of us in this gimp eat gimp world

http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/13350631.jpg

:lol Some people are 60FPS or bust (OH GOD MY EYES @ 30FPS) for me, it's not feeling like I'm purposely lagging in online play. :doge

Mods Help

« Reply #280 on: January 26, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »
you have to see this yun one of my playing partners fought

mormapope

« Reply #281 on: January 26, 2016, 03:35:19 PM »
That seems like a terrible match up for Makoto, as she doesn't have any reversals or counters against Yun, or in general. Makoto is a great offensive character, but has terrible defensive options and reversals.

The Yun player is good and knew that Makoto wouldn't be able to answer back against his aggression. That wakeup ultra was a really bad read or guess though. You can see that fake out special from Yun finish. The Yun player wouldn't be the type to do unsafe stuff on wakeup.

Have no idea why the Makoto player got hit at the start of the second round. Or why they would do a wake up grab after the hard knockdown.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:42:19 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
probably nerves. getting perfected can do that.

mormapope

« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »
Makoto having really weak defensive options also makes adaptation a lot more challenging. Yun is so fast and has so many movement advantages that every risk you take is more dire versus other characters.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
I saw that mentioned on twitter along with the fact that beginner tournaments are a very common thing in Japan. Good way of expanding the player base and bringing more peeps into tourneys.
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »
lol evo :trash

Mods Help

« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »
THE KING IS DEAD. THE KING IS DEAD. LONG LIVE THE KING!

rip sf4

thisismyusername

« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
lol evo :trash

Anyone could've called 5/9 of the slots. The only surprise is Tekken 7 releasing before Evo (otherwise why would it be there?) and Pokemon x Tekken being there. Well, okay, SF4 not being there anymore either. I figured that was a shoe-in in regards to it being 1) Capcom and 2) some people would still play it, but I guess Capcom wants SF5 to shine with the casuals the only watch Evo (IE: Me).

I guess with MK being there for 3-4 years now that'd be another No Duh pick, but I honestly haven't heard noise for that in years. KI still getting a slot is bizzare each year. Is there that many players for it? I'd assume MS is paying for the slot, but :yeshrug Not all up on that.

mormapope

« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2016, 11:53:37 PM »
Keeping MVC3 but getting rid of SF4  :trash
There being two smash games but no SF4  :trash
Pokken? For real?  :trash

OH!

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2016, 11:56:33 PM »
two amerikusoge fighters and a bunch of nintendo swill? :doge

Revelator will only shine brighter given the company :jawalrus

mormapope

« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
Instead of Virtua Fighter 5 FS or Dead or Alive 5 getting represented in the past, the 3D fighter that gets a chance to shine is fucking Pokken. Yeah, suck Nintendo's dick when Nintendo has shown they give negative shits about their games being part of competitive communities.

There were so many other games that deserved that slot. 2D anime fighters, 3D fighters. I'd rather see Sonic Fighters than Pokken.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2016, 12:02:09 AM »
Keeping MVC3 but getting rid of SF4  :trash
There being two smash games but no SF4  :trash
Pokken? For real?  :trash

Melee is the one fans want, but not the one Nintendo says they deserve. So to appease the Nintendo overlords, Mr. Wizard pretty much HAS to include both of them instead of just Melee. I don't like it either, but thems the facts.

Same with Marvel vs SF4. Either of them was a toss-up (though I honestly figured they'd both get in since Evo is Capcom Country with Mr. Wizard's known Capcom/non-Animu bias) but it makes sense 4 is thrown out since Capcom would rather pimp that and some people (like KBR) still play Marvel despite that dying more/faster than SF4.

I'm honestly surprised GG is back. I figured Arc would push BB. But I forget if the---no, yeah. The newest Guilty Gear revision on consoles DOES come out right before Evo (or at least next month? April-May?) so makes sense since the West doesn't give two shits about Blazblue given numerous things Arc does with it.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2016, 12:26:36 AM »
I actually think the games are fine. I'd have SF and Tekken if I was going, which is all I care to play anyway. The hotel and venue situation is a mess though. i think evo is getting to big for me heh

Mods Help

« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2016, 01:06:33 AM »
I don't think there's any problem with no SFIV.

Right now, SFV is really the only big game Capcom has in their arsenal, and it's only ONE console this time. They need it to be a success. That means telling SFIV to fuck off to make everyone know what's in and what's now out.

Can't blame em.

mormapope

« Reply #295 on: January 27, 2016, 01:27:19 AM »
While I was pissed at that, I'm more pissed that one Smash game can't be chosen and that Pokken is taking up a slot. Reception and player base right now for it in Japan is mixed.

If representation and pushing something new on a global stage is the game, there are and have been way better candidates for doing that.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #296 on: January 27, 2016, 01:29:13 AM »
Pokken doesn't deserve this. Smash does because it's got viewers and brings in money. BB should have Pokken's spot if my theory on Capcom being involved forcing SFV only is true.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #297 on: January 27, 2016, 01:32:35 AM »
Pokken is at CEO too. I assume NoA is either paying for it or asking nicely while they provide all the Smash 4 setups for free. That's the way it is now though.

thisismyusername

« Reply #298 on: January 27, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »
Pokken is at CEO too. I assume NoA is either paying for it or asking nicely while they provide all the Smash 4 setups for free. That's the way it is now though.

That's what I'm thinking. It's a Nintendo push to get it into viewers faces to try to get people to buy a Wii U for it. Unfortunately for Nintendo, outside of Smash: Most people that watch Evo are Playstation/X-box country (mostly Playstation given how KI did :doge ). I seriously doubt it being there will get people to go "OMG I NEED TO GO OUT NOW AND GET ME A WII U!"

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #299 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »

The amount of people gonna realise that KI is basically GG's American cousin in March when it releases on PC :whew

The amount of free wins from people still having no idea what to do for me to finally push over into gold rank :rejoice