Author Topic: Titanfall 2  (Read 90196 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Teaser for the Sequel to MP Game of the Generation
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »
yeah, i really liked when they added it, i love that type of mode anyway and it like refreshed the game for me, i'd love when a team stays together (rather than people bailing out) and finally cracks a wave of nuke and mortar titans after getting trounced the first two times

also it was horribly unbalanced in terms of xp it'd give out, you'd get like three or four levels a match even if you lost if you stayed through the whole thing especially if your turrets went mad :lol

i was hoping this time they'd be able to actually setup the maps for it as a proper variation rather than just insert it into the regular ones with just some minor adjustments

i suppose they might have felt the new mode was good enough for launch and maybe they do want to edit the maps for it, they did change up the modes a lot with the last game as time went on, and they have said no paying for mappacks this time

the new domination variation sounds cool where it rewards you for holding the point instead of just trading it back and forth like CoD

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2016, 06:27:04 PM »
Does the game have the standard mode from the original that wasn't in the beta? What's the name, Attrition?

benjipwns

« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2016, 06:37:02 PM »
Yeah, attrition and it's in.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2016, 06:57:04 PM »
yeah, i really liked when they added it, i love that type of mode anyway and it like refreshed the game for me, i'd love when a team stays together (rather than people bailing out) and finally cracks a wave of nuke and mortar titans after getting trounced the first two times

also it was horribly unbalanced in terms of xp it'd give out, you'd get like three or four levels a match even if you lost if you stayed through the whole thing especially if your turrets went mad :lol

i was hoping this time they'd be able to actually setup the maps for it as a proper variation rather than just insert it into the regular ones with just some minor adjustments

i suppose they might have felt the new mode was good enough for launch and maybe they do want to edit the maps for it, they did change up the modes a lot with the last game as time went on, and they have said no paying for mappacks this time

the new domination variation sounds cool where it rewards you for holding the point instead of just trading it back and forth like CoD

They haven't spoken on it much but it feels like their angle this time is more the hardcore pro kinda crowd. Thats why you see a heavy focus on LTS, CTF and Pilot vs Pilot. They're bet I think, is that all these hardcore youtubers is whats gonna give it legs.

Which may work givne how ppl seep to be down on IW. 

benjipwns

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »
It is kinda weird that EA is smashing its two games together like this, I guess to try and derail Call of Duty with them combined since just Battlefield didn't seem to do it?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »
Someone i forgot where said that for EA, it isn't about crushing CoD so to speak, but simply putting a dent, whittling it down, making a crack etc is the point. Less out right stomp and more "so long as that 1 out of 5 guy picks either game over CoD" kinda scenario

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Titanfall 2?
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2016, 09:16:49 AM »
This is gonna mega bomba right?

Anyone here played it?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: Titanfall 2?
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »
Continuing that hard-on of hate for the series eh.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
Hey I gave the original a try on PC for 30 minutes, but there wasnt anyone online

Stoney Mason

« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2016, 09:24:57 AM »
So just like Battlefront then.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2016, 09:25:28 AM »
Well I played Battlefront on PS4

Also Battlefront sold like 10 million

You think I would find Titanfall players online on Xbox in Europe?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2016, 09:30:38 AM »
I found plenty of players for titanfall one on xbox for a good long time. I'm sure the same will hold for the current consoles versions. PC versions of everything die unless its one of a few big franchises.

Although you were whining about nearly everything concerning the original game before it ever came out so I kinda doubt this is your actual concern.

Titanfall will never be one of the mega big shooter franchises most likely sales wise ala Battlefield or COD. Still a very enjoyable game.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2016, 09:39:44 AM »
I think it was more the marketing I was whining about which labeled it exactly as a the next big thing etc. when it was sent to die as a xbone exclusive.

Just wondering what the status is on the sequel as there seems zero buzz and Battlefield just came out etc.

Beezy

« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2016, 09:45:16 AM »
We have a Titanfall 2 thread, guys: http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=44115.0

Titanfall will never be one of the mega big shooter franchises most likely sales wise ala Battlefield or COD. Still a very enjoyable game.
I feel like it's too early to say this. It's only 2 games in.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2016, 10:37:34 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
 :teehee
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »
I found plenty of players for titanfall one on xbox for a good long time. I'm sure the same will hold for the current consoles versions. PC versions of everything die unless its one of a few big franchises.

Yeah, while Titanfall on Origin died ultra-fast there were a decent amount of people still playing on Xbone from what I read.  But it still tanked pretty quickly in general.

I'm not sure that releasing the sequel a week after Battlefield 1 was such a good idea, either.

Although you were whining about nearly everything concerning the original game before it ever came out so I kinda doubt this is your actual concern.

No reason for him to whine now- it's on Playstation.  :doge
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Titanfall 2
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:11 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2016, 12:35:09 PM »
 :gladbron
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »
Polygon also put up 30 mins of footage but it's kinda dull. They definitely play it like it's a slower CoD:

Beezy

« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
Polygon also gave it the lowest review score that it's gotten so far. Trash gamers confirmed.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »

Beezy

« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »
Dude's voice in that first stream is just... no.

Bebpo

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:27 AM »
duckroll's telling me to buy this for the single player campaign which he says is awesome so far.  But coming from Doom, I feel like there's no way this will feel as good in movement and combat, plus it looks kind of CoD-ish and I really dislike CoD.  But I do like mecha games and this has mechs.  Hmmmm....

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2016, 10:04:06 AM »
duckroll's telling me to buy this for the single player campaign which he says is awesome so far.  But coming from Doom, I feel like there's no way this will feel as good in movement and combat, plus it looks kind of CoD-ish and I really dislike CoD.  But I do like mecha games and this has mechs.  Hmmmm....

Beezy

« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »
Counting down the minutes until my work day is over...

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »
The achievements are pretty much all single player too. Reason enough for me to play it. Fuck multiplayer.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/titanfall-2/achievements/
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »
The achievements are pretty much all single player too. Reason enough for me to play it. Fuck multiplayer.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/titanfall-2/achievements/

play multiplayer

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
Double-dipped on this-

-The Origin code I got from GMG doesn't work.  :lol

-The PS4 copy I got is coming from Amazon's own shipping service, which has a horrible reputation.  Still no activity yet when I track it.

:dead
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »
Seriously this franchise seems doomed since it went Xbox exclusive but mow EA sent it to die between BF1 and COD

The general consensus seems to be that Titanfall 2 is very, very good. (We're still working on it, but the indications are very promising so far.) But as this CNBC report makes clear, making a good game does not necessarily guarantee commensurate riches. Electronic Arts' share price dropped by more than four percent today, following analyst predictions that Titanfall 2 sales will come in far below what was expected.

"We are downgrading EA shares ... because we believe that Titanfall 2 sales are going to be substantially disappointing, enough to offset [the] upside from Battlefield 1," Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz wrote in a note to clients. "We expect a correction in shares between now and early next year as we believe the stock is priced for upside to current Street consensus."

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1302939

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
I don't believe in sales. I believe in Titanfall 2.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
I feel like it's too early to say this. It's only 2 games in.

No it isn't. Just look at how lowkey this release is. I have no clue why EA bankrolled a second one outside of them giving Respawn a chance to hit Playstation after how poorly received (in terms of player retention) the first one was.

From what I've been hearing, pre-orders are pretty low for consoles and the PC player base seems low compared to the Console base (just like last time). So, I mean... unless they deep discount it like the first one for $7, I don't know how they'll get people on board despite word of mouth being "yeah, but it's okay!"

Bebpo

« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2016, 12:30:12 PM »
Mech curse continues  :(  When was the last time a game with mechs sold well.

benjipwns

« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »
No it isn't. Just look at how lowkey this release is. I have no clue why EA bankrolled a second one outside of them giving Respawn a chance to hit Playstation after how poorly received (in terms of player retention) the first one was.
EA had originally signed Respawn to a multi-game publishing deal, and they locked in the Titanfall franchise after the first one sold a million copies in the first three months.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
When I jumped onto the PC version, I couldn't even get into a Pilot Vs. Pilot match.  Not enough players.  :lol :(

PS4 is better but there's a still a lower number of people playing compared to other FPS games. 

The game is awesome and shits all over this year's CoD though, unsurprisingly.  Too bad it's probably gonna bomb.  I'll likely be playing this a lot more on PS4 since it seems like PC is almost DOA right out of the gate.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2016, 04:53:20 PM »
I'll likely be playing this a lot more on PS4 since it seems like PC is almost DOA right out of the gate.

Lack of server browser, no beta (unlike last time), and general not fixing things PC gamers complained about last time doomed their Titan.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2016, 06:23:34 PM »
I will just say the middle level(the one after Ash) of the single player is pretty fucking amazing. I don't want to spoil any of it.

Beezy

« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2016, 08:13:32 PM »
I will just say the middle level(the one after Ash) of the single player is pretty fucking amazing. I don't want to spoil any of it.
I just passed that point and came here to say the same thing. Even collecting the helmets on that level was fun. The campaign so far is really great.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »
Ok the single player was easily one of the best of the year. Honestly almost up there with Doom. Amazingly paced, fantastic set pieces, and honestly very solid gameplay that doesn't feel like it's holding your hand.

I mean I feel like it's been such a long time since I've played a single player campaign that feels like it's confident and so in control. Here is a game that after it's laid out its foundations actually throws cool little senerios and knows how to correctly ramp up the action. Here's a game that knows how to actually be a game. While I wish the boss characters were a bit more involved, they still touch that Metal Gear Solid esque thing that I love Boss characters for. They have some actual cool designs and presence. Not as much as say Metal Gear Rising, but they tried. And that's what this game feels like. It feels like a game deigned by people who actually gave a damn. Who wanted to craft something you'd care about. From the awesome set pieces such as fighting around a a moving ship fleet to having a cool sidekick. And yes the game avoided being in your face with the whole Robot becomes more human thing. It's actually rather subdued honestly.

You know what? This game was just great.

Bebpo

« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2016, 11:50:37 PM »
Played the first two stages of the campaign and one map of attrition MP.  Was ok.  Had more fun in the one attrition map than the first two levels.  First level was alright, gorgeous and some nice platforming, but mostly a tutorial stage.  Second sewers level was a bit boring hallways and the only interesting room was the one you had to hold out against waves in and were totally outnumbered so you had to keep moving.  I dunno, probably shouldn't have picked this up.  It feels like a good quality Call of Duty with wallrunning, slides and double jumps and a bit of Crysis with the camo ability.  I really don't like CoD or any kind of aim down the sites warfare FPS games.  I enjoyed DOOM a ton because it felt so different, fresh and polished for an FPS.  While Doom doesn't have wallrunning, coming straight from finishing Doom earlier this week to Titanfall, Doom feels way better in smooth fast movement and combat feedback and balance is much more satisfying there.  TF2 is good, but as a not military FPS person, I'm not loving it.  I tried TF2 and World of FF today and after playing an hour or so of each I'd rather play more World of FF than TF2, but then rpgs are my bread n' butter.  Doom worked in a way that it was an FPS for not-fps fans, but not getting that feeling here.  I'll keep playing the TF2 campaign but may end up spending more time playing MP since I found attrition more exciting than the first two stages.

One nice thing about TF2 is it runs really great.  Have everything maxed and haven't dropped from 60fps at all at 1080p.  Also the art direction is top-notch.

Bebpo

« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2016, 02:15:27 AM »
Beat the 2nd boss and yeah, while I like some of the mech parts (like the 2nd boss fight or when you fight a group of titans; fighting non-titan enemies in a mech is pretty boring) because you can switch between your setups and there's some interesting stuff like the Scorch flame AoE strategies, the combat just does nothing for me on-foot.  It's perfectly good, but I'm just not into aiming down the sights with an assault rifle taking out a shooting gallery of bad guy army dudes anymore and while the platforming is kinda fun, it just makes me remember Mirror's Edge has a sequel I still haven't played and I should be playing that instead for better wallrunning and platforming. 

I think another reason why I like the mech parts better is you keep getting new cool weapons.  This is the reason why I like Insomniac games, getting neat non-traditional weapons to play around with.  But on-foot segments so far have just been assault rifle/shotgun/smg/sniper rifle zzzzzzzzzzz with the only cool stuff the grenade weapons (flaming shuriken was cool).  If they start introducing some crazy sci-fi weapons to play with on the on-foot segments I'll probably get into them more.  Otherwise will just push through the on-foot parts to enjoy the mech parts.

Bebpo

« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2016, 03:19:50 AM »
Was talking to duckroll and he asked me what difficulty I was on.  I said normal cause that's what the game recommended to me at the intro plus I usually play games on normal and he said this is one of those games were normal is brain dead easy, especially on-foot and hard is more fun because you need to play smarter instead of just brainless shooting gallery.  So will try doing the rest on hard and see if I get more out of it.

Beezy

« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »
Yeah, I've been playing on hard and it feels like how normal does for most games. On my 2nd play through I'll play it on the hardest difficulty (forgot what its called) and collect all the pilot helmets I missed.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2016, 10:07:14 PM »

Tremendous game. Bless up.

Bebpo

« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2016, 01:57:20 AM »
Wasn't really feeling the time travel stage too much.  Was interesting, but felt kinda jank and the mechanic's been done before in other games.  Only rooms I liked were the ones where there was combat on both sides and you're weaker because you don't have cloak, but stronger because of the time travel.  The elevator room was fun.

Anyhow, the stage after with the satellite dish and the beam switch weapon was great.  My favorite level in the game so far.  Lots of great mirror's edge-ish platforming, really long and varied stage, and a few good combat bits.  Boss was pretty tough on hard, would kill my titan in like 4 with his rifle that just did insane damage.  Ended up running back and making some space and hiding behind a rock and setting him on fire.  Been pretty much using the flame + gas combo on every boss so far since if you trap them in the flames it can instantly kill them or at least get them close.

Bebpo

« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2016, 03:55:19 AM »
Man, the MP's really fun.  Hope this has some legs and the community isn't gone in a month or two.  Already takes a minute or two to find a game in some modes.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2016, 07:55:45 AM »
Man, the MP's really fun.  Hope this has some legs and the community isn't gone in a month or two.  Already takes a minute or two to find a game in some modes.

What are you playing it on?  If it's PC, it will probably be pretty dead soon.
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
Well game sold like a third of the original if UK numbers are anything to go by...

PC version sold 7 times less in fact.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2016, 09:39:06 AM »
1 day vs 1 week

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2016, 10:06:05 AM »
This game looks really good. Played one MP game and my whole team got trounced, but it was still fun. Will play more.
©ZH

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
1 day vs 1 week

Is it? Didn't see that in the thread

Still usually this spells doom already

thisismyusername

« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2016, 11:03:24 AM »
1 day vs 1 week

What difference would a few extra days make? It was still releasing between Battlefield and Call of Duty, and had Titanfall 1's issues (dying playerbase) to work past.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2016, 11:37:10 AM »
I think 7x the amount of time to buy it might make some difference but maybe not

thisismyusername

« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »
I think 7x the amount of time to buy it might make some difference but maybe not

Wouldn't have done anything. I mean if you want to wait until Friday-Friday to see that the reception is mostly lukewarm, be my guest. But I highly doubt a full week would've set the world on fire. I know pretty much no one that is going "you know, that Titanfall 2 is totally worth buying day one!" Outside of like... Toku. :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »

Wouldn't have done anything. I mean if you want to wait until Friday-Friday to see that the reception is mostly lukewarm, be my guest. But I highly doubt a full week would've set the world on fire. I know pretty much no one that is going "you know, that Titanfall 2 is totally worth buying day one!" Outside of like... Toku. :doge

I didn't say this was a stealth blockbuster, I said the data he was using was not comparable

Beezy

« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2016, 10:50:24 PM »
Changed my control scheme to bumper jumper (pilot only). I am now a parkour god.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:05:00 AM by Beezy »

Bebpo

« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2016, 01:22:43 AM »
Omg the Mechwarrior stage is so good.  I'd totally buy a mech only campaign.  Was epic. 
On the next stage on the ship now and it's alright.  I'm just way more into the mech stuff than the on-foot stuff.  I want a campaign of nothing but mech battlefields & boss fights :p

Also this game really makes me want to play Mirror's Edge 2.  It's almost time for Black Friday.  Hopefully Origin will put it on sale.

Bebpo

« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2016, 03:25:42 AM »
Finished the campaign.  Was really short.  Like, probably the shortest FPS campaign I've ever played.  Like even though it's 4-5 hours, a lot of the game is just walking/running around.  I mean I turned out the difficulty to hard from Ash-boss onwards but then there's only like 4-5 FPS rooms in the entire second half of the game.  The last stage has no FPS since it's all auto-aim is just a little platforming and boss fight, the second to last stage has like one FPS area where you take out the AA gunners and then one FPS room with a team, the stage before that is all mech, the stage before that on the satellite dish is pretty much all platforming and dodging with a mech boss, the time warp stage before is mostly narrative/exploration and there's only like 2 rooms where you have to fight (elevator and final room before getting back to BT).  I couldn't really tell if I liked the FPS segments on hard any better since there just weren't many of them.

Mech stuff was great, absolute best moment of the game was the beginning of the mech stage where you drop down and run with a team of mechs in giant MECH WAR.  Really enjoyed the mechs stuff although some of the boss fights were really tough for me on hard because of all the cooldowns (I'm used to at least being able to dodge/dash continuously without cooldown).  The final boss was pretty easy but the flying boss before that took me about 40 tries and I was ready to throw the game out the window.  Now that was a boss I should've actually used keyboard & mouse for so I could aim at the moving guy, using a dual shock 4 I had to stick to auto-lock on weapons because I couldn't aim fast enough to hit the guy and most of the auto-lock stuff just didn't do enough damage while he'd keep wrecking me.  Eventually I got a tip from someone to use TONE and put down a shield and shoot through to lock on and do the lock-on for big damage, which got me through it.

The movement and platforming was ok.  Coming from Doom tbh TF2 feels sluggish and floaty to me and the platforming was so easy it was just kind of a press A to win thing that was cute, but didn't require much thought or effort between the mech or FPS or story.  I really enjoy the wall running, but when you're not sliding or wall running the standard on-foot moving is really slow when you're not moving straight forward.  Like I didn't realize until pretty far in that if you side/circle strafe at all it instantly drops you down to walk speed even when not shooting.  Coming from Doom where I was always side-strafing I'd rotate left or right around enemies a lot on instinct and I'd move slow as molasses.  Also being in a super suit the physics are super floaty which as a personal taste thing I didn't like.  I think I enjoyed the titan parts the best because in a titan you actually feel like you have weight and I love the A button bulky heavy dashes.  On foot you're flying around with like paper weight and it just feels so much worse than something like Mirror's Edge where you're wall running but actually have weight to it.  Eh, just didn't click.

I definitely enjoyed the campaign, which is a positive since I don't usually like FPS campaigns.  It was like an 8/10 experience.  Good and fun, but super short & don't really get the hype at all.  Especially when I just finished Doom 2016 a few days before and that was easily like 9.5/10 near-perfect campaign for me.  I'm glad I dig the MP in TF2 and will be playing it a bunch, otherwise if all I played was the campaign I'd probably regret buying it at full price rather than like $20.

Bebpo

« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2016, 03:53:53 AM »
Thinking about it, another thing that's cool about the game is the boss fights.  Like some are better than others, but just having real boss fights (and a ton of them) in a western AAA game is impressive.  I know Deus Ex HR supposedly has boss fights but they're supposed to be terrible though, and usually boss fights in western AAA games are pretty bad, so it was really cool to have solid ones here.  I loved the zoom in and show the pilot with the background blurred out presentation at the start of each.  Very cool.  The game is also pretty replayable since the levels are short and fast.  I might run through the campaign one more time.  At least the first few stages on hard to complete my hard run.