Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 944705 times)

Svejk

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #10320 on: June 06, 2021, 04:31:36 PM »
You know what? Nintendo's games are actually way, way cheaper here than in the US and versus PlayStation and Xbox games.
See, this blows my mind actually... I had no idea.  If it were the same here, things would be different...
I love Nintendo 1st party shit... Just think the Switch is overly hyped and priced for what it is.  I've dumped hundreds of $ on this thing and have yet to be impressed in any way.  Just got it mainly for a soon-to-be BOTW2/Zelda machine... And Metroid Prime 4, if that ever see the light of day on it.

You also have said (elsewhere) that you've barely spent any time playing it.

:bolo
Because there's nothing of interest on it other than Mario Odyssey??  :idont  Anything else on there, I already have or can get elsewhere at a cheaper price.  :doge  (I'm sure people can say the same thing vs. getting games on PS5.. depending on the game)
Believe me... I really want to be on the same hype train as everyone else for Switch, but it just doesn't appeal to my lifestyle... at all.  Once the Zelda Anniversary fires up, my tune will probably change some, but until then, if prices don't quit being hyper inflated on it, I don't want to invest in it much.... 

That being said, where's the stand-alone/dock-only Switch for about half the price??  Sony did one for PSP...  Having a external HDD sized Switch console with a Pro controller (with an actual headphone jack) would have been an insta-Day 1 purchase...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10321 on: June 06, 2021, 04:34:51 PM »
You know what? Nintendo's games are actually way, way cheaper here than in the US and versus PlayStation and Xbox games.
See, this blows my mind actually... I had no idea.  If it were the same here, things would be different...
I love Nintendo 1st party shit... Just think the Switch is overly hyped and priced for what it is.  I've dumped hundreds of $ on this thing and have yet to be impressed in any way.  Just got it mainly for a soon-to-be BOTW2/Zelda machine... And Metroid Prime 4, if that ever see the light of day on it.

You also have said (elsewhere) that you've barely spent any time playing it.

:bolo
Because there's nothing of interest on it other than Mario Odyssey??  :idont  Anything else on there, I already have or can get elsewhere at a cheaper price.  :doge  (I'm sure people can say the same thing vs. getting games on PS5.. depending on the game)
Believe me... I really want to be on the same hype train as everyone else for Switch, but it just doesn't appeal to my lifestyle... at all.  Once the Zelda Anniversary fires up, my tune will probably change some, but until then, if prices don't quit being hyper inflated on it, I don't want to invest in it much.... 

That being said, where's the stand-alone/dock-only Switch for about half the price??  Sony did one for PSP...  Having a external HDD sized Switch console with a Pro controller (with an actual headphone jack) would have been an insta-Day 1 purchase...

You haven't even played much of Mario Odyssey, no?  :doge 

If you want portable dock and don't want to pay Nintendo prices, get this: https://www.genkithings.com/products/covert-dock

Don't know how good this is, but here's a controller with a headphone jack.  https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Switch-Controller-Headphone-Jack/dp/B08FHXRL8L
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10322 on: June 06, 2021, 06:39:11 PM »
I think he meant non-portable tv-only switch.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10323 on: June 06, 2021, 07:15:08 PM »

Yeah, see that now.  I think a cheap box like that would be cool, but maybe they think it would be a failure following the Vita TV.
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10324 on: June 06, 2021, 07:45:22 PM »
Why exactly does Nintendo need to release a Switch Pro?

Sales are strong, hardware and software-wise, a Switch successor is likely going to be out in 2023 or 2024, making it a short run for the Pro, and Nintendo has given up on being technologically competitive for 20 years now.

So why?
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #10325 on: June 06, 2021, 08:13:34 PM »

Sales are strong, hardware and software-wise, a Switch successor is likely going to be out in 2023 or 2024, making it a short run for the Pro, and Nintendo has given up on being technologically competitive for 20 years now.

So why?

They don't need to, but Nintendo has a history of market refreshes to boost sales further and Switch 2 is still years away. As long as it's fully BC with existing Switch titles it can bring in some double dipping sales and stay more competitive with Sony & MS as in 3rd party games developed for PS5/XSX in 2022 are gonna have a hard time having a Switch version but might be able to release on Switch Pro.

Svejk

« Reply #10326 on: June 06, 2021, 10:57:51 PM »

Yeah, see that now.  I think a cheap box like that would be cool, but maybe they think it would be a failure following the Vita TV.
My Bad,.. yeah, the Vita, not PSP.
But yeah... That would suit alot of people still I would think..

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10327 on: June 07, 2021, 04:12:09 AM »

So why?
So what happened with the Wii doesn't repeat itself.

PS5 and XB Series whatever are new and will soak up a lot of mindshare in the market. A Switch Pro allows for a fresh new coat of paint, keeping some of that mindshare for the Switch and paving the way for Switch 2.

Hell, it may even be Switch 2 for all we know, using the XB Series approach of keeping all first party games compatible with both generations until they can drop support for Switch 1.
Spud

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #10328 on: June 07, 2021, 04:35:10 AM »

So why?
so I can play MH rise 60 fps

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10329 on: June 07, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »

So why?
So what happened with the Wii doesn't repeat itself.

PS5 and XB Series whatever are new and will soak up a lot of mindshare in the market. A Switch Pro allows for a fresh new coat of paint, keeping some of that mindshare for the Switch and paving the way for Switch 2.

Hell, it may even be Switch 2 for all we know, using the XB Series approach of keeping all first party games compatible with both generations until they can drop support for Switch 1.

This is the correct answer. The Switch is by all accounts easy to port shit to, and in most cases can juuuuuuust get by with downgrades for PS4/Xbone era software.

As new releases increasingly become optimized for the PS5 and Xsex, porting it to Switch won't be possible as is.

Plus, the real answer is ninthings will just buy it, so.
yar

Svejk

« Reply #10330 on: June 07, 2021, 11:39:17 AM »
Plus, the real answer is ninthings will just buy it, so.
The most trillest answer possible.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10331 on: June 07, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »
I think the Switch Pro is more of an upgrade than people expect it to be.
Even if Nintendo wants to skimp out then there's still Nvidia who is going to end production of the 16nm Maxwell based "Mariko" chip used in the Switch this year.
They probably have enough stockpiled for the Switch Lite but launching another configuration would be tricky.
At some point Nintendo used a Realtek part but that might've just been for early devkits considering everyone reports the SOC will be supplied by Nvidia again.

The alternatives are:
- Pascal based Tegra X2 (which is probably going to be phased out soon too, so not a good pick)
- Volta based Xavier (RTX20XX series)
- Ampere based Orin (RTX 30XX series)
- Lovelace Ada based GPU (RTX 40XX series)

The most likely candidate is an Ampere based SOC. Which would translate to 2 - 2.5 TFLOPS.
That would put the Switch Pro somewhere in the middle of the PS4 (1.32 TFLOPS) and PS4 Pro (4.2 TFLOPS) and with some DLSS magic added do 1080p -> 4k upscaling quite well in most games.
Lovelace Ada is also an option but I have my doubts that is the route they will take.

The Orin is quite similar to where the Switch landed when it released (between Xbox 360 and Xbox One).

I think Nintendo wants to keep their options open so to speak in case they need to deliver new hardware earlier and not call it Switch II or something like that but instead 'New' Switch Super / + / Pro ...
With that said this would be a proper upgrade and not just some overclocking of the same hardware. The Switch Lite will keep that $199 spot, the Switch Pro will come in at $399.
It would open the route to games like Call of Duty Warzone, GTAV, Assassins Creed Valhalla and Tekken 7 that require just a bit more grunt than the Switch can offer for a decent experience.
First party wise it would give Nintendo the option to not make games like Bayonetta 3, BOTW2 and Metroid Prime 4 look like late gen Xbox 360 titles.
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10332 on: June 07, 2021, 04:14:00 PM »
It's gonna be a couple 2060's stapled together (one in dock, one in system)
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10333 on: June 07, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »
🤴

« Reply #10334 on: June 08, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »
I find all the Nintendo fanboys who previously were all "who cares about graphics? It's the games!" with the Wii and WiiU now clamoring for 4k graphics pretty hilarious.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10335 on: June 08, 2021, 03:44:00 PM »
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nintendo-switch-pro-to-support-720p-120-fps-in-portable-mode-1440p-30-fps-in-docked-mode-rumor/amp/

According to the latest rumors coming out of Taiwan, the Nintendo Switch Pro will run at a resolution of 720p 120 FPS in portable mode, with docked mode optimized for 1440p 30 FPS. The GPU will be based on NVIDIA’s latest graphics architecture (Ampere or the upcoming Lovelace?), fabbed on TSMC’s 7nm class node with the chipset potentially leveraging a Samsung node.

:dunno
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10336 on: June 08, 2021, 03:58:43 PM »
I find all the Nintendo fanboys who previously were all "who cares about graphics? It's the games!" with the Wii and WiiU now clamoring for 4k graphics pretty hilarious.
If there's one thing you can guarantee, it's that fanboys of any description are fucking idiots.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10337 on: June 08, 2021, 04:06:53 PM »
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nintendo-switch-pro-to-support-720p-120-fps-in-portable-mode-1440p-30-fps-in-docked-mode-rumor/amp/

According to the latest rumors coming out of Taiwan, the Nintendo Switch Pro will run at a resolution of 720p 120 FPS in portable mode, with docked mode optimized for 1440p 30 FPS. The GPU will be based on NVIDIA’s latest graphics architecture (Ampere or the upcoming Lovelace?), fabbed on TSMC’s 7nm class node with the chipset potentially leveraging a Samsung node.

:dunno

The most likely candidate is an Ampere based SOC. Which would translate to 2 - 2.5 TFLOPS.
That would put the Switch Pro somewhere in the middle of the PS4 (1.32 TFLOPS) and PS4 Pro (4.2 TFLOPS) and with some DLSS magic added do 1080p -> 4k upscaling quite well in most games.
Lovelace Ada is also an option but I have my doubts that is the route they will take.
:trumps

1440p makes sense sans DLSS. I hear there's some challenges and it might not be ready for launch.
In that case 1440p would suffice. Samsung node also checks out. Would circumvent the shortages at TSMC.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10338 on: June 08, 2021, 04:32:45 PM »
120hz for the portable display?  Even at 720p that seems unlikely to me.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10339 on: June 08, 2021, 04:51:21 PM »
120hz for the portable display?  Even at 720p that seems unlikely to me.

lol basically any fucking new phone can do that
yar

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10340 on: June 08, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
But Nintendo…

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10341 on: June 08, 2021, 05:09:42 PM »
yar

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #10342 on: June 10, 2021, 11:15:41 PM »
Haha 1440 and they're supposedly going to charge $400 for it.
Hi

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10343 on: June 11, 2021, 12:25:42 AM »
I'd rather wait for a full Switch 2 then an enhanced version.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10345 on: June 12, 2021, 02:24:18 PM »
New Mario and Rabbids

:rejoice

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10346 on: June 12, 2021, 03:29:40 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if a new Mario/Rabbids game is better or worse than KIRBY AIR RIDE 2 but it sure looks like the Switch Pro is a no show
yar

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10347 on: June 12, 2021, 04:56:34 PM »
I think the Pro is fully tied in with Zelda BOTW 2

Which means we're about to get a "please understand, coronavirus, stress, 2022" statement for the game and theyre not going to kill Switch sales by announcing the Pro that wont come until March 2022. 
:O

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10348 on: June 12, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »

Imma need a Switch for this
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10349 on: June 12, 2021, 05:05:40 PM »
Mario and Rabbids was awesome and so was Kirby Air Ride, so…

:idont

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10350 on: June 12, 2021, 05:08:28 PM »

🤴

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #10351 on: June 13, 2021, 08:02:23 AM »
Everyone's convinced that's running on the Switch Pro but it doesn't look any better than the first game...  ??? ??? ???

therealdeal

« Reply #10352 on: June 13, 2021, 09:49:09 AM »
damn i thought there was really a kirbys air ride 2, you jokers got me

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10353 on: June 13, 2021, 10:09:50 AM »

Imma need a Switch for this

The King's Knight followup I never knew I wanted...
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10354 on: June 13, 2021, 12:53:39 PM »

"Nintendo Switch Pro? How about a free poster" :success
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10355 on: June 13, 2021, 01:12:18 PM »
fuck the switch pro gimme that shit now :hyper
(ice)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10356 on: June 14, 2021, 05:04:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

"Nintendo Switch Pro? How about a free poster" :success
:whoo

therealdeal

« Reply #10357 on: June 15, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »
if they don’t announce kirby’s air ride 2 today, you all will rue the day

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10358 on: June 15, 2021, 12:26:22 PM »
SMT V looks so fucking good.. def buying a Switch for that
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10359 on: June 15, 2021, 03:42:23 PM »

Final game in the story arc  :thinking
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10360 on: June 15, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »

Bowser
:dead
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10361 on: June 15, 2021, 04:20:39 PM »
Luigi x Pikachu :uguu
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:17:56 PM by Nintex »
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10363 on: June 16, 2021, 12:01:39 AM »

No More Heroes III gameplay:

ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10364 on: June 16, 2021, 07:42:05 AM »
Samus' suit is a good improvement over Fusion's.  I really like it.  Granted, it (Fusion) was limited to design by the GBA graphics, but even the hand drawn segments were  :yuck.  Still, I did like the reasoning for it and the story of Fusion was unique. Would love to play it again on Switch....  :doge     I see so many nods to Strider 2014 in Dread.  From the wall crawl, the swipe hit combo/countering, to her sprinting through corridors with the camera panning out.  All good things, just hard not to notice.
I thought people were joking though that it was $60...  Nope.   :doge  Will maybe wait for reviews first.  Yikes.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10365 on: June 16, 2021, 08:14:16 AM »
I'll happily pay the money for the first new 2D Metroid since fusion.

What worries me most is that I hope the game isn't entirely based on outrunning those big robots and there's a twist like Zero Suit Samus in Metroid Zero Mission.
If it's just 'outrun the robot until you find the special item to destroy it' it would really limit the exploration and gameplay and make the whole thing quite repetitive.

I also find it hard to believe that is what 'wasn't possible technically' a decade ago. Since it's basically the same concept as the SA-X :doge
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #10366 on: June 16, 2021, 09:03:20 AM »
Is Mercury Steam doing this one too?   I never got a chance to play Samus Returns on 3DS, so not sure how good of a classic Metroid they pulled off.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #10367 on: June 16, 2021, 09:32:19 AM »
Mercury Steam is doing it with a ton of N oversight, yes.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10368 on: June 16, 2021, 10:15:29 AM »
Advance Wars will have 4P online versus.  There's also a 4P co-op mode, but unsure if that's local only. 

So it won't be a pile of mercury steam which is why I'm interested!
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10369 on: June 16, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »
I liked Samus Returns a lot, and felt it paired great with AM2R as a remake without feeling too similar to one another.

Svejk

« Reply #10370 on: June 16, 2021, 11:31:54 AM »
I liked Samus Returns a lot, and felt it paired great with AM2R as a remake without feeling too similar to one another.

They need to port it to the Switch, since it initially sold like ass due to being released after Switch launched.  :karen

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10371 on: June 16, 2021, 11:37:33 AM »
for full price :miyamoto
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #10372 on: June 16, 2021, 11:47:46 AM »
for full price :miyamoto
I'd be ok with this actually... it's $20 cheaper than Dread.  :yeshrug   lol who am I kidding, they'll bump it to $60 too.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10373 on: June 16, 2021, 01:47:40 PM »
Samus Returns was pretty fun and quite challenging (the Dreadnought boss fight in particular was NASTY), just wasn't really a fan of the melee counter or the muddy artstyle of that one.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10374 on: June 16, 2021, 06:36:19 PM »

With games like NEO: TWEWY, Dread and No More Heroes 3 coincidentally leaving development hell in 2021 Nintendo's line-up is quite bonkers this year.
Like some sort of 4chan leak that has sprung to life.  :doge
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10375 on: June 16, 2021, 10:27:12 PM »
It's been a surprisingly good few years actually. I can't remember the last time I had to be selective about which games I bought on a Nintendo console.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10376 on: June 17, 2021, 03:18:33 AM »
Advance Wars will have 4P online versus.  There's also a 4P co-op mode, but unsure if that's local only. 

So it won't be a pile of mercury steam which is why I'm interested!

https://awbw.amarriner.com/

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10377 on: June 17, 2021, 01:31:51 PM »
Just pre-ordered the Metroid Dread Special Edition :hyper
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10378 on: June 17, 2021, 04:56:12 PM »
Special editions are for chumps.