Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 940869 times)

Svejk

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #10740 on: September 20, 2021, 03:41:31 PM »
Personally, I've been on a love/hate relationship with the Switch and how Nintendo markets it.  I want to love so much, but it staggers me that they get away with their prices.  Some, to most their first party stuff is worth $60 when they release, sure.  But seeing this? This is absurd.  Excellent or no, this game is old now... This pricing bullshit is what prompted me to go physical on Switch.   But in LRG's case, releasing a physical game through them only, forces one like me to go digital; paying the eShop's ridiculous prices if I wanted to play an old port of a game on this dated platform.  Yeah, there's sales, but not on "Nintendo's greatest hits" or anything of the sorts.   I hate going physical but Nintendo left me no choice if I want to not spend release date MSRP for the entire lifecycle of the Switch.  At least the used market for the physical games appear to still hold value somehow.  :doge

My unbridled love for Zelda and Metroid though, I'm learning to bend over and take it and accept this is as Nintendo being Nintendo whether I like it or not.  :-\

Tasty

« Reply #10741 on: September 20, 2021, 04:21:23 PM »
Don't hate the player hate the game.  :ussrcry

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10742 on: September 21, 2021, 08:19:26 AM »
Personally, I've been on a love/hate relationship with the Switch and how Nintendo markets it.  I want to love so much, but it staggers me that they get away with their prices.  Some, to most their first party stuff is worth $60 when they release, sure.  But seeing this? This is absurd.  Excellent or no, this game is old now... This pricing bullshit is what prompted me to go physical on Switch.

OK, but that's not Limited Run Games- that's Nintendo.  And despite this, their games will still go on sale for cheaper prices, via other retailers, although not so frequently.

But in LRG's case, releasing a physical game through them only, forces one like me to go digital; paying the eShop's ridiculous prices if I wanted to play an old port of a game on this dated platform.  Yeah, there's sales, but not on "Nintendo's greatest hits" or anything of the sorts.

Again, two different things here- third party games go on sale all the time.  Put them on your eShop wishlist and you'll get notified of sales.

I hate going physical but Nintendo left me no choice if I want to not spend release date MSRP for the entire lifecycle of the Switch.  At least the used market for the physical games appear to still hold value somehow.  :doge

Not sure how this is any different than you plunking down full MSRP to pre-order Playstation games, on PSN, weeks or months before release.

:idont
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10743 on: September 21, 2021, 09:48:49 AM »
I hate going physical but Nintendo left me no choice if I want to not spend release date MSRP for the entire lifecycle of the Switch.  At least the used market for the physical games appear to still hold value somehow.  :doge

Not sure how this is any different than you plunking down full MSRP to pre-order Playstation games, on PSN, weeks or months before release.

That's the thing, I jumped on the Smitch train late in the game and missed out on older games; like Hyrule Warriors:DE for example...  And now if I wanted to get it and play it, it's $60 or more; digital or physical..  Like seriously, am I the only one that finds this to be the most arrogant and greedy of gaming retail??    To defend this or this in anyway is beyond me.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10744 on: September 21, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »

That's the thing, I jumped on the Smitch train late in the game and missed out on older games; like Hyrule Warriors:DE for example...  And now if I wanted to get it and play it, it's $60 or more; digital or physical..  Like seriously, am I the only one that finds this to be the most arrogant and greedy of gaming retail??    To defend this or this in anyway is beyond me.

Yup, that's another Nintendo-published game and nobody is defending the lack of price drops from them (digital, anyway- the demand for the physical copies is there and the price on HW actually went down a bit compared to some months ago- it's also $50 on Wal-Mart.com right now.).

Still a separate thing from LRG here. 
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10745 on: September 21, 2021, 10:56:30 AM »

Yup, that's another Nintendo-published game and nobody is defending the lack of price drops from them (digital, anyway- the demand for the physical copies is there and the price on HW actually went down a bit compared to some months ago- it's also $50 on Wal-Mart.com right now.).

Right.. going back to LRG, two of the small handful of games I wanted on this thing; Grandia HD Collection and Panzer Dragoon Remake, the only physical ones were through LRG... And at the time, both were over priced because of it..  that is changing now thankfully.  I bought PD for $6 digitally and Grandia HD is getting a regular retail which will hopefully not be scarce.  I can compromise when the price is right.   :D

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10746 on: September 21, 2021, 12:32:05 PM »
Finished The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. This actually contains both games, so this is a lot of Phoenix Wright to digest.

But man is it a slog. What uninteresting characters and cases. Nothing will ever beat the originals.
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10747 on: September 21, 2021, 09:11:29 PM »

Right.. going back to LRG, two of the small handful of games I wanted on this thing; Grandia HD Collection and Panzer Dragoon Remake, the only physical ones were through LRG... And at the time, both were over priced because of it..  that is changing now thankfully.  I bought PD for $6 digitally and Grandia HD is getting a regular retail which will hopefully not be scarce.  I can compromise when the price is right.   :D

But see without LRg, there would have been no physical copy. Grandia HD was out long before the LRG release and no publisher was interested in a physical release. Clearly, no company was interested in striking a deal for PD either. During their month-long window, they were priced at a fair $40, so it's not like LRG made them expensive. Hell, you could buy PD from Best Buy soon after. The problem is yeah if you miss the window you are out of luck.

But what you are getting now is an Asian release. , which happens often because it allows them to hit several markets where digital goods aren't as big of the market share or internet speeds aren't as developed. It's still not a US release which probably won't exist, because no publisher was interested beyond LRG.

So I don't see why LRG is bad.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10748 on: September 22, 2021, 07:19:54 AM »
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #10749 on: September 22, 2021, 08:44:59 AM »
But see without LRg, there would have been no physical copy. Grandia HD was out long before the LRG release and no publisher was interested in a physical release. Clearly, no company was interested in striking a deal for PD either. During their month-long window, they were priced at a fair $40, so it's not like LRG made them expensive. Hell, you could buy PD from Best Buy soon after. The problem is yeah if you miss the window you are out of luck.

But what you are getting now is an Asian release. , which happens often because it allows them to hit several markets where digital goods aren't as big of the market share or internet speeds aren't as developed. It's still not a US release which probably won't exist, because no publisher was interested beyond LRG.

Y'all are right... It shouldn't be LRG to be annoyed with, it's the scalpers and resellers that make them look bad from a late consumer point of view.  I think part of my gripe is that practically everything gets dumped on this thing; both physical and digital.. I find it hard to believe it was only LRG that thought that classics like Grandia 1&2 and PD should be on the shelf with all the million waifu ani-tiddy physical games too.  And since I decided to suck it up and actually go back to physical on this thing due to the ridiculous value the games seem to hold, I want to go all or nothing.  It's different than it was for me back in the PS3 era, where I was ok going and grabbing a used $5 dumpster bin game... I can never trust a used game again for reasons, so I had that going against me too.  And last, when I jumped on the Switch wagon, their digital games/eshop locked to a system thing pushed me to physical as well at the time.  Things seem to be coming around though...  And I can't get everything I want, so..  :yeshrug

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10750 on: September 22, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »

Y'all are right... It shouldn't be LRG to be annoyed with, it's the scalpers and resellers that make them look bad from a late consumer point of view.  I think part of my gripe is that practically everything gets dumped on this thing; both physical and digital.. I find it hard to believe it was only LRG that thought that classics like Grandia 1&2 and PD should be on the shelf with all the million waifu ani-tiddy physical games too.  And since I decided to suck it up and actually go back to physical on this thing due to the ridiculous value the games seem to hold, I want to go all or nothing.  It's different than it was for me back in the PS3 era, where I was ok going and grabbing a used $5 dumpster bin game... I can never trust a used game again for reasons, so I had that going against me too.  And last, when I jumped on the Switch wagon, their digital games/eshop locked to a system thing pushed me to physical as well at the time.  Things seem to be coming around though...  And I can't get everything I want, so..  :yeshrug

This is not limited (no pun intended) to the Switch and has been a thing for some years now.  Physical games are getting to be BIG BIDNESS and the same thing was happening with the Vita, and some PS4 stuff, before the Switch came along, never mind the insane prices retro stuff are starting to go for.  The Switch just exploded in popularity and overtook the rest, although trying to get some of the few new Vita releases can be a bloodbath.

And this definitely isn't limited to just LRG releases.  I have a PS4 game from Strictly Limited Games, Gryphon Knight Epic, that had around 900-something copies released, that at one point was going for as high as $500.  And it's a shitty little game you can get digital for a couple of bucks.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:16:38 AM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10751 on: September 22, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »

This is not limited (no pun intended) to the Switch and has been a thing for some years now.  Physical games are getting to be BIG BIDNESS and the same thing was happening with the Vita, and some PS4 stuff, before the Switch came along, never mind the insane prices retro stuff are starting to go for.  The Switch just exploded in popularity and overtook the rest, although trying to get some of the few new Vita releases can be a bloodbath.

And this definitely isn't limited to just LRG releases.  I have a PS4 game from Strictly Limited Games, Gryphon Knight Epic, that had around 900-something copies released, that at one point was going for as high as $500.  And it's a shitty little game you can get digital for a couple of bucks.
:dead

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10753 on: September 22, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »
On my birthday

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
:O

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10754 on: September 22, 2021, 11:00:44 AM »
breath of the wild 2 for december confirmed ;)
(ice)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10755 on: September 22, 2021, 11:22:04 AM »
aka Game Garage Builder DX+: Build Your Own Breath of the Wild 2 Edition
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10756 on: September 22, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »
Bunch of NDA's expiring soon. Some surprising shit around the corner.  :doge

4:00 PM · Sep 22, 2021

:trumps

aka Game Garage Builder DX+: Build Your Own Breath of the Wild 2 Edition
Zelda maker is a thing, not sure how far along it is

That's an NDA shuttered on the ground but the joke is on the Nintendo Yakuza, I never sign anything  :playa

I remember walking towards NoE people at a 3DS event who generally have no clue what is going on mind you.
The 3DS was tanking at the time, so the dude in front of me asked: "Can you tell me more about your future software plans?"
"No, that is secret blah blah"

So I asked them point blank 6 months before it was announced: "So uh, why is Retro Studios being wasted on Mario Kart 3DS and not doing Metroid"
And they were shocked like : "... we don't comment on rumors and speculation" and stalked my LinkedIn for 3 months.

Most epic one though, persuading a NoE intern to take a screenshot of the Nintendo Direct folders :delicious
My finest moment after leaking ExciteBots to the world and convincing EA's board of directors that the Star Wars MMORPG had cost them $500 million.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:15:47 PM by Nintex »
🤴

james

« Reply #10757 on: September 22, 2021, 01:33:55 PM »
My copy of excitebots is still sealed and one day will pay for my retirement

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10758 on: September 22, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
©@©™

james

« Reply #10759 on: September 22, 2021, 02:39:47 PM »
It's probably pretty rare!

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/pc/wii-s-i-excitebots-i-sells-just-13-000-in-the-u-s-

Prices dont reflect it, yet.

What REALLY annoys me is that my sealed copy of Odama hasnt appreciated at all.

Fucking Odama. Brand new sealed with mic. Its got to be insanely rare.

Rare enough that no one knows they should bid it up

:existential

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10760 on: September 22, 2021, 02:43:56 PM »
Thanks, Odama!
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10761 on: September 22, 2021, 02:46:16 PM »
BTW, if you want prices to go up, you have to ally yourself with a collector cartel that will buy up all available copies online and then set the prices 100x higher, plus sell sealed copies to each other for millions of dollars to build excitement.
©@©™

james

« Reply #10762 on: September 22, 2021, 02:48:52 PM »
BTW, if you want prices to go up, you have to ally yourself with a collector cartel that will buy up all available copies online and then set the prices 100x higher, plus sell sealed copies to each other for millions of dollars to build excitement.

Lets get this business going

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10763 on: September 22, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
Best moment out of the current Retro craze is Naka realizing Sonic still ain't worth shit  :lol

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1440124673434390528
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #10764 on: September 22, 2021, 03:53:34 PM »
Best moment out of the current Retro craze is Naka realizing Sonic still ain't worth shit  :lol

:rofl

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10765 on: September 22, 2021, 03:57:03 PM »
Aren't those Wata ratings pretty much a scam?

james

« Reply #10766 on: September 22, 2021, 04:07:58 PM »
You couldnt pay me to buy a Sonic

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10767 on: September 22, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »
Aren't those Wata ratings pretty much a scam?

Only the JAMES gradings can be trusted.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10768 on: September 22, 2021, 05:38:16 PM »

Japan wants a new Fire Emblem
🤴

james

« Reply #10769 on: September 22, 2021, 05:47:09 PM »
Fuck Japan their opinions are wrong

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10770 on: September 22, 2021, 09:30:07 PM »
We have almost hit the point where the Switch Mini costs the same or less as a secondhand Vita; there are stacks and stacks of these things in Japanese secondhand game shops and they just hit a record low of $120. Come on boys we can get there

james

« Reply #10771 on: September 23, 2021, 12:35:49 AM »
Here were my predictions for E3:

Eternal Darkness 4K
An animal crossing that doesn't suck
Advance Wars
Sim City 4 2
Kirby Tilt and Tumble
Switch Pro for $199.99
Mario kart arcade games for free on Nintendo online
A Mario tennis that doesn't suck
Rush 2059
Crazy taxi 4k
Virtua Tennis 2k22
Super Pilotwings Pro

I was mostly right.

Lets get the rest of the boys!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10772 on: September 23, 2021, 04:12:10 AM »
These should be nearing completion and ready for an announcement soon:

- Kirby
- Xenoblade 3
- Fire Emblem

If I had to guess they drop Kirby at the tail end of this year or early next.
Nintendo's line-up is missing the kid friendly snack this holiday.

On the third party side we might finally get to see that rumored Resident Evil timed exclusive for Switch.

Lots of crazy rumours surrounding their online services but I'm not buying it. They'll probably announce new platforms for Nintendo Switch Online and call it a day.
🤴

« Reply #10773 on: September 23, 2021, 05:53:38 AM »

:rofl

I actually got one of these as an ad in my Facebook feed, they're awful scams.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10774 on: September 23, 2021, 11:51:22 AM »
Ok, sounds like just some poor management/design.

I have observed a number of scenarios in the last decade where the famous creator of a given franchise is “finally given free reign“ to pursue their best vision. It feels like inevitably these creators worked best within the constraints they originally had. Look at how many remakes and sequels have suffered from being late, incomplete, or just uninspired.

The best magic of video game creation happens when a team is operating together, firing on all cylinders, and looking to protect each other’s efforts — and this includes the person doing the scheduling. Game development is a huge machine with many moving parts, and having one “creative“ individual capable of throwing a monkey wrench into everyone else’s work is ALWAYS a bad idea.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10775 on: September 23, 2021, 12:06:54 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10776 on: September 23, 2021, 12:20:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Kirby: Discovery

A big rumor is that Metroid Prime or the whole trilogy are getting either an HD-re-release or a remake next year.  Which I think is up there with "SWITCH PRO IS HAPPENING!!!" but hey, maybe.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10777 on: September 23, 2021, 12:22:20 PM »
Wonder if it's a 3D platformer like Mario. The Kirby franchise needs a shake up after the 2.5D ones.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10778 on: September 23, 2021, 12:27:37 PM »
Wonder if it's a 3D platformer like Mario. The Kirby franchise needs a shake up after the 2.5D ones.

Based on that image, maybe it's a Kirby X Nier Automata crossover.  :P

Very much expecting it to be another 2.5D game.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10779 on: September 23, 2021, 12:32:15 PM »
Could also be a The Last of Us 2 crossover. Imagine the Abby sex scene but with Kirby. Now that'd be worth the 60 dollar price tag.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10780 on: September 23, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
Now you can play as Kirby in Fallout 4, only on the Switch Pro!
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10781 on: September 23, 2021, 01:02:23 PM »
what the kirb franchise really needs is some chozo lore tbh

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10782 on: September 23, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »
I still want my Kirby RPG spinoff. The devs flirted it with the Great Cave Offensive in Super Star a bit...
^_^

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10783 on: September 23, 2021, 04:49:00 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Kirby: Discovery

A big rumor is that Metroid Prime or the whole trilogy are getting either an HD-re-release or a remake next year.  Which I think is up there with "SWITCH PRO IS HAPPENING!!!" but hey, maybe.
Wasn't that rumour from Emily Rogers? Fuck all chance of that happening then...unless, like the fabled stopped clock, she's right for a change.
Spud

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10784 on: September 23, 2021, 05:06:13 PM »
Today's my mom's bday, so that means today's Direct needs a Mother 3 announcement.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10785 on: September 23, 2021, 05:13:21 PM »
These should be nearing completion and ready for an announcement soon:

- Kirby
- Xenoblade 3
- Fire Emblem

If I had to guess they drop Kirby at the tail end of this year or early next.
Nintendo's line-up is missing the kid friendly snack this holiday.

On the third party side we might finally get to see that rumored Resident Evil timed exclusive for Switch.

Lots of crazy rumours surrounding their online services but I'm not buying it. They'll probably announce new platforms for Nintendo Switch Online and call it a day.

:trumps

I don't know why they keep making this up.
Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii was perhaps the worst selling game in the entire series.
I was honestly surprised when they announced Metroid Prime 4.
Metroid Prime was the best selling in the series and didn't make it to 3 million.

Can't be more than a few thousand people that completed Metroid Prime, 2 and 3 when they originally released.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10786 on: September 23, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »
N64 + Sega DLC lol
fat

« Reply #10787 on: September 23, 2021, 06:28:54 PM »
That online expansion pack might be worth an extra dollar a month. Though even that feels like a rip off.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10788 on: September 23, 2021, 06:32:35 PM »
That online expansion pack might be worth an extra dollar a month. Though even that feels like a rip off.

The games they listed are wack besides a few, and it wont be updated, if SNES/NES is anything to go by
fat

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #10789 on: September 23, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »
lol I can't believe I wasted my time watching that :paul
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10790 on: September 23, 2021, 06:40:54 PM »
YASSS QUEEENNN
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10791 on: September 23, 2021, 06:41:40 PM »
Nintendies: "100% confirm Metroid Prime Trilogy and GameBoy games for Switch"

Nintendo:

8 SEGA mega drive roms  :heh

Donkey Kong = Seth Rogen :heh

🤴

« Reply #10792 on: September 23, 2021, 06:43:56 PM »
I wonder if feedback about her character being sexualized finally made them cover up Bayonetta's ass?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #10793 on: September 23, 2021, 06:44:25 PM »
final fantasy kart looked like straight up shovelware :neogaf
(ice)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10794 on: September 23, 2021, 06:44:33 PM »
Card Game= BATEN KAITOS? Oh... some side project by the Nier guy. Still cool

Kirby Last Of Us = cute

Paid ROM DLC (or: how does Nintendo keep getting away with it?)

Low Budget Mobile Actraiser = sadface

Project Triangle = cool cool, will be on gamepass in a year like Octopath and BD2
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10795 on: September 23, 2021, 06:44:53 PM »
Bayonetta looked like ass and not like the good kind.
I know Nintendo is notoriously bad at image quality in game trailers so I hope it's that  :doge
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10796 on: September 23, 2021, 06:45:29 PM »
Meh, I enjoyed that.
Spud

« Reply #10797 on: September 23, 2021, 06:47:46 PM »

The games they listed are wack besides a few, and it wont be updated, if SNES/NES is anything to go by
I might sign up in 10 years when they finally decide to add gamecube games. F-Zero having online is the only interesting thing about this and knowing how Nintendo games play online I have my doubts if it'll be functional.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10798 on: September 23, 2021, 06:51:08 PM »
 :)

Bebpo

« Reply #10799 on: September 23, 2021, 06:55:06 PM »
Actraiser HD is cool, but that ugly 2.5d PSP style does the side-scrolling section no favors. New music remix/arrangements sound great. Miiiiiight try it. I have nostalgia for the original.

Chocobo GP looks like a basic mobile clone of Mario Kart 8, which is too bad because playing as FF characters and FF remix songs and tracks is neat. Wish the kart racing looked more interesting.

Bayonetta 3 looks yikes. Definitely seems to show why the game's been absent show after show. Wonder what kind of dev problems went on behind the scenes. Will play it whenever it comes out, but not looking great.

Rise expansion next year is expected. Will jump back for it.