Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 945168 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #10680 on: August 20, 2021, 04:10:29 AM »
oh damn, an actual decent pokemon game. the last gen before they started ruining the series for more "structured character development"

black and white were some bullshit and it sounds like they've only gotten worse

Black and White were the last truly great ones IMO, lol. A lot of creativity and artistic merit in that gen.

We should have realized things were going to go off the rails though, when they did Black 2 and White 2 instead of Gray. Train was already falling off the tracks back then...

No Pokemon Z, Pokemon Stars, or Pokemon Gun either. The signs were all there...

true, I have heard this a few times. it didn't vibe with me, but I don't exactly remember why. sold the game pretty quick
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10681 on: August 20, 2021, 04:15:26 AM »
Oh man I hope we get out of Lockdown 2: Electric Boogaloo before the 27th. Mighty Ape ain't shipping games under current restrictions. I neeeeeed NMH3
What sort of messed up lockdown are you Kiwis under if you can't even shop online?

Only "essential" shit is allowed to be shipped. Food, booze and WFH office gear. We don't fuck around with Covid

weirdly some game/xbox controllers are allowed and others not, found this out coz I was looking up that new series x aqua shift controller. v gray. but yah, being one of the only places an elimination strat is feasible everyone except actual essential workers are in iso all the time. short and sharp  :rejoice
◕‿◕

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10682 on: August 23, 2021, 04:59:36 AM »

Music for the items shop.

I watched some vtuber play the first hour of the game and people are gonna be so lost without playing Travis Strikes Again.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It explains why bad girl is back. It tells you about Utopinia Corporation run by Damon Riccitiello. The sushi shop itself is from that game. The Switch controller on Travis hand is part of the Death Drive game console, which was introduced in Let It Die and expanded in Travis Strikes Again. The main antagonist from Travis Strikes Again, Dr Juvenile, now lives in his Death Drive Switch controller. The tutorial guy, Master Gida, is an old gaming magazine writer that shows up in Travis Strikes Again.
[close]
and that was like the first 40 minutes of the game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10683 on: August 23, 2021, 12:40:04 PM »
Nobody cares about No More Heroes lore, we just want a good game
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #10684 on: August 23, 2021, 02:24:44 PM »
Now that Double Fine did the impossible and made a good game again, I wonder if Suda51 can make miracles too. Should know in a few days. Even as a NMH1/2 fan, I'll probably skip this if the reviews are closer to Travis Strikes Again. Hoping it's actually good.

Svejk

« Reply #10685 on: August 24, 2021, 07:13:24 AM »
Getting closer!   :phil

Tasty

« Reply #10686 on: August 24, 2021, 09:54:48 AM »
Getting closer!   :phil

:thinking Wait I thought the Fed were on her ass about blowing the shit out of their stuff at the end of Fusion?

Or is this just a double-cross, and the EMMI attacking her are what they're supposed to do?

:thinking Hoping Sakamoto didn't forget the plot of the last game.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10687 on: August 24, 2021, 09:57:23 AM »
Nobody cares about Metroid lore, we just want a good game
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10688 on: August 24, 2021, 10:38:42 AM »
 ::)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10689 on: August 25, 2021, 04:56:02 AM »
Don't think I've ever read a more accurate statement on thebore
Spud

paprikastaude

« Reply #10690 on: August 25, 2021, 05:30:18 AM »
:thinking Wait I thought the Fed were on her ass about blowing the shit out of their stuff at the end of Fusion?

Can't wait until some nerd has to explain that this aktschually wasn't in the original Japanese script or something :cat

Bebpo

« Reply #10691 on: August 27, 2021, 12:35:35 AM »
Aaaand, No More Heroes III reviews are all over the place, but overall about a point lower than NHM 1 & 2 which both have low/mid 80s metacritic and this will be around mid 70s.

Then again I kinda ignore all the no-name fan sites that give every game 9s/10s or 4s/5s.

Easy Allies 9/10
IGN Japan (why is this even listed on Metacritic, Japanese gaming review scores are trash) 9/10
EGM 8/10
Destructoid 8/10
Game Informer 7.8/10
Silconera 7/10
IGN 6/10
Jeuxvideo 6/10
Gamespot 4/10

Sounds like at least a skip day 1 and pick up on-sale and after people have had some time with it to grow to love/hate it it like Deadly Premonitions II.

Tasty

« Reply #10692 on: August 27, 2021, 01:08:21 AM »

Tbh even the spinoff stuff is kinda interesting.

I kinda love how Samus Returns tied the main series back to Prime via Ridley. Pretty cool.

Really wonder where Prime 4 is gonna go.

Tasty

« Reply #10693 on: August 27, 2021, 01:58:33 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10695 on: August 27, 2021, 09:09:56 AM »

:lawd
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #10696 on: August 27, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
That poster is wicked fucking cool. :lawd

Svejk

« Reply #10697 on: August 27, 2021, 10:39:44 AM »
Her suit design is a relief of awesome.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10698 on: August 27, 2021, 03:02:27 PM »
Aaaand, No More Heroes III reviews are all over the place, but overall about a point lower than NHM 1 & 2 which both have low/mid 80s metacritic and this will be around mid 70s.

Sounds like at least a skip day 1 and pick up on-sale and after people have had some time with it to grow to love/hate it it like Deadly Premonitions II.

Having put in 6 to 7 hours so far it's absolutely a wait for sale kinda game. A shame, as it was the only game I was excited for this year.

Storywise it seems to be picking up now at around the halfway point. (Just beat boss 5 of 10.) The combat honestly feels like the weakest in the series yet. The game also desperately needs that Switch Pro... Open world gameplay is better than shown at the E3, but nowhere near good.

Bebpo

« Reply #10699 on: August 27, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »

Having put in 6 to 7 hours so far it's absolutely a wait for sale kinda game. A shame, as it was the only game I was excited for this year.

Storywise it seems to be picking up now at around the halfway point. (Just beat boss 5 of 10.) The combat honestly feels like the weakest in the series yet. The game also desperately needs that Switch Pro... Open world gameplay is better than shown at the E3, but nowhere near good.

Damn, yeah that's a bummer. Hopefully the back half is stronger. Some of these games, especially Japanese games, cram all the good stuff for the end.

paprikastaude

« Reply #10700 on: August 27, 2021, 04:44:34 PM »

:goty2

I learned not to get my hopes up for Nintendo exclusives since WiiU, but sometimes I still let my guard down. Sucks.

Already adjusted my expecations for Metroid by replaying that milquetoast 3DS game.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 04:54:56 PM by Spieler1 »

Tasty

« Reply #10701 on: August 27, 2021, 04:47:20 PM »
People were expecting a Suda game to not automatically be "wait for a sale" tier? Let's be honest.

paprikastaude

« Reply #10702 on: August 27, 2021, 04:53:21 PM »
The scores are way lower than for even the recent ports of 1 and 2.

Bebpo

« Reply #10703 on: August 27, 2021, 05:00:53 PM »
People were expecting a Suda game to not automatically be "wait for a sale" tier? Let's be honest.

Well NMH1/2, Silver Case, Killer 7 are all worth the money.

3 was a big question mark since Suda's been away from the directing chair and having a budget for a long, long time and Travis Strikes Back was not very well received but was a budget game that played differently.

Honestly reading user impressions some people are really enjoying it, but it's definitely all over the place. I used to like Suda51 and Grasshopper games a lot but their flair wore off on me as their gameplay never really improved and kinda got worse instead. I feel the same way about Swervy, I like Deadly Premonition 1 and D4 is cool sorta, but I still can't bring myself to play The Missing because it looks boring or DPII because it looks bad.

I like No More Heroes 1/2 enough and the reviews for 3 aren't exactly damning, so I'll give it a play at some point. But yeah, can wait for a sale and after the holiday rush of must-play releases. Guessing it can't/won't be ported because of Nintendo shenanigans? So best we can hope for in terms of the performance stuff is a fully BC Switch 2 (because by the time Switch "Pro" comes out, it will just be Switch 2) if that happens. Or I guess emulators, since they already seem to be running games better than Switch natively.

paprikastaude

« Reply #10704 on: August 27, 2021, 05:08:45 PM »
That NMH spinoff became multiplat, but probably sold less than ten copies, so Marvelous surely isn't agog for more ports. But who knows.

Tasty

« Reply #10705 on: August 27, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »

Well NMH1/2, Silver Case, Killer 7 are all worth the money.

Ehhh even back in the day NMH1 was in this debate too. Pretty janky, empty overworld, lots of minigames but not much other content (than boss fights.) Went on sale pretty damn early too IIRC.

If you prefer content and polish over art-house craziness I'm not sure any Suda game meets the bar, even to someone who would otherwise be interested in his games. I mean Katamari's a fun series, but I'm not sure I'd fork over $50+ for an entry (and Bamco knows that.)

And the jank hurts the "must buy at full price" perception too.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10706 on: August 28, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
Well, finished the game at the 15 hour mark. Second half was definitely way better than the first half. Game starts picking up around the time you get to Velvet Chair Girl.

The biggest thing that hurt the game for me is that the bosses don't get their own dedicated levels. The enemy combat is entirely relegated to the K-entertainment styled side missions from the first game. You get transported to a small arena, kill some dudes, get out. There's 3 gems on the screen you have to fill and to fill them you gotta beat 3 of these side missions. When you're done with those, you pay off the ATM and go straight to the boss arena. Nothing in between.

paprikastaude

« Reply #10707 on: August 28, 2021, 10:50:10 AM »
The biggest thing that hurt the game for me is that the bosses don't get their own dedicated levels. The enemy combat is entirely relegated to the K-entertainment styled side missions from the first game. You get transported to a small arena, kill some dudes, get out. There's 3 gems on the screen you have to fill and to fill them you gotta beat 3 of these side missions. When you're done with those, you pay off the ATM and go straight to the boss arena. Nothing in between.

Yeah I read this yesterday :mindblown

Bebpo

« Reply #10708 on: August 28, 2021, 12:33:47 PM »
Sounds like a budget thing  :-\

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10709 on: August 31, 2021, 03:59:23 AM »
Suda51 mentioned in the IGN Japan stream yesterday that they only had the rights to the No More Heroes IP for 5 years. The IP is owned by Marvelous. So it might have been time constraints more than anything.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10710 on: August 31, 2021, 01:29:14 PM »
Game looked like shit and everyone was like "Duh, it's shit on purpose cuz Suda 51, CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY DAY ONE PURCHASE GOTY!" Where y'all at now?  :sabu
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #10711 on: August 31, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »
Suda51 mentioned in the IGN Japan stream yesterday that they only had the rights to the No More Heroes IP for 5 years. The IP is owned by Marvelous. So it might have been time constraints more than anything.

As in they are on year 5 already?

Still feels like a budget thing. The game doesn't exactly scream good budget from what I've seen. Like Psychonauts 2 feels like Double Fine finally has/had a decent budget and was able to do what they wanted. NMH3 footage does not seem like that for Suda51/Grasshopper.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10712 on: August 31, 2021, 04:15:19 PM »
They must be pretty close to the limit since Travis Strikes Again was revealed in 2017 and released in 2019.

Game looked like shit and everyone was like "Duh, it's shit on purpose cuz Suda 51, CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY DAY ONE PURCHASE GOTY!" Where y'all at now?  :sabu

I think I was the only one really hyped and I did indeed buy it day one.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10713 on: August 31, 2021, 04:26:33 PM »
Still feels like a budget thing. The game doesn't exactly scream good budget from what I've seen. Like Psychonauts 2 feels like Double Fine finally has/had a decent budget and was able to do what they wanted. NMH3 footage does not seem like that for Suda51/Grasshopper.

They had both time and budget. If they kept to their time schedule the game should've been released in 2018. The game had been in development since the 2016 Fig campaign. They had an investment by Starbreeze after the campaign. Then Microsoft added them to their development portfolio in 2019.

Bebpo

« Reply #10714 on: August 31, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
Ok, sounds like just some poor management/design.

Svejk

« Reply #10715 on: September 10, 2021, 08:06:26 PM »
Mo Dread  :hyper

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10716 on: September 10, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »
METROID DREDD imo
dog

Beezy

« Reply #10717 on: September 12, 2021, 12:14:07 PM »

SMTV and Dread makes for a great fall Switch lineup imo

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #10718 on: September 13, 2021, 07:22:00 AM »
Switch price officially lowered in Europe
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10719 on: September 13, 2021, 07:32:02 AM »
PiXEL will release a Switch version of 2019-released PC retro kung-fu action game Enryuu Seiken Xiao-Mei (Fire Dragon Fist Master Xiao-Mei) via Nintendo eShop in 2021 in Japan, the company announced.

The Switch version will include new elements not featured in the PC version. The game is described as an homage to the 16-bit era, created with legendary ex-Namco composer Norio Nakagata (Zombie Nation, Genpei Touma Den, Thunder Ceptor, etc.).

For the Switch version, Hirofumi Murasaki (Aah! Harimanada, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Clockwork Knight, etc.) is in charge of the sound effects to further enhance the game’s FM sound style.

Here's the PC version- looks like a Kung-Fu/Spartan-X clone:

ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10720 on: September 13, 2021, 01:01:56 PM »
Amazon France had it at 269 even.

Those are steep price cuts for Nintendo standards
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10721 on: September 13, 2021, 01:15:59 PM »
Amazon France had it at 269 even.

Those are steep price cuts for Nintendo standards

Clear out that old stock to make room for the higher-priced OLED model.
:itagaki
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10722 on: September 13, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10723 on: September 13, 2021, 02:28:44 PM »
 :noah

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #10724 on: September 14, 2021, 08:16:36 PM »
Nintendo switch finally reaching feature parity with the Vita.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1437930124490457088

Tasty

« Reply #10725 on: September 14, 2021, 08:47:42 PM »
Holy shit. :lol

Folders next? :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10726 on: September 17, 2021, 10:38:09 PM »
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #10727 on: September 18, 2021, 04:14:04 AM »
Hopefully more shit moves away from LRG.

Svejk

« Reply #10728 on: September 18, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »
Hopefully more shit moves away from LRG.
:respect

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10729 on: September 20, 2021, 03:01:02 AM »
Have no problems with LRG. Probably wouldn’t have as many niche releases if they weren’t successful.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10730 on: September 20, 2021, 07:17:16 AM »
Have no problems with LRG. Probably wouldn’t have as many niche releases if they weren’t successful.

Yup.  They have good customer service, too. 
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10731 on: September 20, 2021, 07:33:34 AM »
Deliberate scarcity is bullshit though.  These aren't swords of gold made for a king or a 100 year old aged wine barreled in a rare wood...  These a fucking digital video games encased in the cheapest of Chinese plastics.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10732 on: September 20, 2021, 08:24:56 AM »
But they aren't scarce. They are available digitally. Also, LRG doesn't keep a publisher or developer from making a deal to release through other channels. Most of their main releases are given an open pre-order with a decently large window. The very premise of the thing is that they are giving small games that normally wouldn't get a physical release and the niche audience for these things a chance to own them. By that premise, it shouldn't include large print runs.

LRG has problems no doubt(shipping speed, how they handle multiple game series, prices, and so on) but I don't know I'm usually able to get the games I want from them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:55:24 AM by Rahxephon91 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10733 on: September 20, 2021, 08:34:08 AM »
Deliberate scarcity is bullshit though.  These aren't swords of gold made for a king or a 100 year old aged wine barreled in a rare wood...  These a fucking digital video games encased in the cheapest of Chinese plastics.

OK, so buy digital then.  Which is what you were championing before you got a Switch. 
:bolo
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10734 on: September 20, 2021, 09:18:31 AM »

OK, so buy digital then.  Which is what you were championing before you got a Switch. 
:bolo
It's Nintendo's fault. They still make 5 year old digital games $60.  :doge

paprikastaude

« Reply #10735 on: September 20, 2021, 12:41:18 PM »
More importantly, they are grabbing games that apparently aren't even in the need for an "emergency" limited physical edition anyway? Like Ys Origins. Before that I was all stressed about getting Streets of Rage 4 physical, but that thing was and still is all over retail stores now (not the complete edition, the original one that was supposedly "limited"). Recently I've seen No More Heroes 1 & 2 on Switch coming up on Playasia. Now Grandia.

:camby
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:47:09 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10736 on: September 20, 2021, 12:45:23 PM »
More importantly, why are you huffing and puffing over games that had open preorders for at least 2 to 3 months. These games werent gone in a day

fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #10737 on: September 20, 2021, 01:18:35 PM »
They aren't a good shop. You only deal with the downsides for the premise that they supposedly are the only publisher of a physical version. So I'd prefer transparency when games will also be available at other places, which are usually cheaper, quicker and have projectable release dates. SoR4 was much easier to get elsewhere and I wouldn't be surprised if you'd get the NMH bundle from PlayAsia faster than the recent LRG version (if that one's even produced yet). tbh LRG shouldn't get such projects :idont

Tasty

« Reply #10738 on: September 20, 2021, 02:43:54 PM »

Aren't all these games available digitally?

If you're clinging to physical at this point you're basically a collector in all but name.

Tasty

« Reply #10739 on: September 20, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
It's Nintendo's fault. They still make 5 year old digital games $60.  :doge

Because they're worth it :trumps

Edit- Misread, ignore previous version of this post.