Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 944345 times)

Bebpo

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #12960 on: June 22, 2023, 09:25:19 PM »
There are dungeons, demi is half-joking. Some are better quality than others, but the main route is the traditional Zelda experience of pre-dungeon puzzling to unlock the dungeon and then a dungeon and dungeon boss. It's even more like traditional Zelda as it gives you an ability each dungeon that you use for it (to mixed extent).

The building is the core of the game. And it's a very good core. The amount of mileage they get out of like 2 mechanics is insane and shows how well thought out the core mechanics are. The building also completely differentiates it from BoTW.

There's also 2 new maps with the sky and depths, plus they remixed most of the land map. Either that or it's been enough years I just don't remember much of BoTW so it all feels remixed.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12961 on: June 22, 2023, 10:18:03 PM »
??? I'm 100% serious. You think ANYthing in TOTK is comparable to any previous Zelda? Those aren't dungeons

The SKY WORLD is like 5 small islands

The DARK WORLD is literally nothing

BTW Elden Ring overworld was dogshit too. Open World is shit for good level design. Creativity goes out the window
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #12962 on: June 22, 2023, 10:30:28 PM »
I don't want to fight you on this. So I'm just gonna say I disagree.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12963 on: June 22, 2023, 10:58:46 PM »
pussy
fat

Svejk

« Reply #12964 on: June 23, 2023, 06:09:29 PM »
Physical MGS Collection on Switch will contain no MGS games. Lmao
 :miyamoto

Bebpo

« Reply #12965 on: June 24, 2023, 11:01:13 PM »
I’m finishing up all the shrines and all my side quests and every little blip of land on the sky map and I see for the first time the game quest menu tells you how many total quests of each category there are.

I’m about to be like 75 of the smaller side quests done and it says it’s out of…139.  :o

120 hours and been around every town multiple times to check for quests and I’m still missing even finding half the side quests in the game.

So.much.content.

But I’m still having more fun exploring and finding stuff and doing stuff in this than any other game I could be otherwise playing like FF16, so yeah, one of the best games of all time for me.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12966 on: June 25, 2023, 01:42:49 PM »
Physical MGS Collection on Switch will contain no MGS games. Lmao
 :miyamoto

Konami gonna Konami

The Switch version comes in at 24.1GB all up… if you don’t count the bonus videos. Those will add a further 30GB into the mix, bringing the whole package up to 54GB

According to the official website for the Master Collection, 2.4GB of the collection is “front loaded onto cartridge”, while the rest will have to be downloaded.

:dead

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is all tentative right now and may change, however.  I just kinda doubt it.
[close]
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12967 on: June 25, 2023, 01:44:54 PM »
I really think TotK will probably ruin my ability to enjoy anymore Ubisoft games.

Ubisoft usually ruins my ability to enjoy any more Ubisoft games.

:heh
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12968 on: June 27, 2023, 01:44:38 AM »
new mario made me smile. I prefer it to what they're doing with 3D mario.

we are so back  :miyamoto

Himu

« Reply #12969 on: June 27, 2023, 03:43:38 AM »
The graphics for the Mario RPG graphics are insane. It's like Pre-rendered graphics come to life in a way you've always imagined them. Incredible.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #12970 on: June 27, 2023, 02:41:04 PM »
I mean it looks the same as the original game, only clear now instead of pixely.

Which is both impressive at how they captured the visuals of the original with modern graphics, and also kind of boring because it just looks exactly how the game looked in your memories.

I'll give it a play since I haven't played the original since launch year and I really liked it as a kid. But I definitely would've preferred a new visual take for the remake. From the trailer I feel like I could just load up the original and get the same experience without spending another $60+

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12971 on: June 27, 2023, 08:25:47 PM »
if it sells well we get a true sequel, or the team who made the remake get to make a new game with the engine  :rejoice

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12972 on: June 27, 2023, 09:40:54 PM »
I mean it looks the same as the original game, only clear now instead of pixely.

:cmonson
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12973 on: June 27, 2023, 10:23:01 PM »
I agree, very indie and uninspired look. Star Ocean 2 is great though

I hope Shimomura does some banger tunes tho
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12974 on: June 29, 2023, 05:02:07 PM »
The graphics for the Mario RPG graphics are insane. It's like Pre-rendered graphics come to life in a way you've always imagined them. Incredible.

Nintendo simply operates at a different level

https://twitter.com/FantasyAnime/status/1674276337421369345
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #12975 on: June 29, 2023, 08:00:19 PM »
I agree, very indie and uninspired look. Star Ocean 2 is great though

I hope Shimomura does some banger tunes tho

Yeah, so... I don't think SO2 HD looks that good either. But at least SO2 HD trying to look different. I just am not very impressed by its HD 2D look compared to like DQ3 HD or Octopath or even Live a Live. Looks kind of budget to me.

But maybe it's just my Star Ocean hating bias talking. Though playing FF16 makes me want to play SO6 instead...for a more gameplay rpg.

Seeing SO2 HD though, I wish they'd do that for a game I care more about (I don't care about SO2 outside of Ashton who is cool). Like if they did Xenogears remake like this I'd be hyped. Or Chrono Trigger or something.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12976 on: June 30, 2023, 04:44:28 PM »
Picked up the hot new Not-Danganronpa today, Master Detective Archives: Rain Code. :rejoice :uguu
©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #12977 on: July 04, 2023, 12:24:09 PM »
At the end of Zelda botw2. Went so far off on my own, main and side quests start and end. NPCs go “oh, you’ve already completed it?” Trying to get as much as I can out of it, within reason. None of the korok or well or gem hunting. If the six years between the games proves anything for me, it’s that nothing else comes close to what they’re doing with these games. Pretty much why I’m fine with it being more botw. There’s no real alternative.

I think they know it. They read criticisms of the first and didn’t give a damn. Admirable to double down like that.

Svejk

« Reply #12978 on: July 11, 2023, 10:21:15 AM »
Played some more TOTK…

This new formula has high jacked the Zelda IP.  This formula would fit so much better with Super Mario and its universe.  He’s a plumber, right?  Handy with tools.  How is that not more fitting for this building/crafting type formula? Mario Maker already winced in that direction and was successful.  On top of that, who wouldn’t want an open world/hub 3D Mario with said tools/abilities? Odyssey kinda reaches there, but could be more grand in scope, other than using enemy’s abilities. It’s still neat, but could be so much more with this ‘new Zelda formula’ instead.  Just imagine building such a contraption, or pipework, to reach other parts of certain levels for stars, or whatever, hidden areas, or even using the goombas (or any other creative enemies) fusing them to said contraptions, on top of the 2p-4p coop like 3D World. Holy shit it would be incredible…  It’s baffling that they only keep Mario to his jumpman ways, but that’s it.  They just change the platforms and switch out hats for abilities.. (Mario becoming someone/thing else, not him being a constructive character.)  Zelda should have stayed in its high fantasy ways with magic, swords and sorcery and dungeon crawling; puzzle solving with adventure, not making goofy contraptions that fail half the time.  That would be a million times more acceptable (and fun) for the Mario universe. 

Sheeeyit… even Metroid would’ve made more sense as well… Arm Cannon that had a grapple ability even back in the SNES days…  using it to create platforms to reach new areas like the freeze beam did over 30 years ago… And not that I’ve played much of the series, but Pikmin would’ve been an even MORE fitting. … seriously..  why, oh why, did they use Zelda for this ‘new’ formula??  jfk  You done fucked up, Nintendo.  You’re good… but you’re still missing the mark by far. 

The sense of reward is practically insulting in this game.. Just like BOTW.  I rarely go fight encampments or anything because.. why?  You use up resources just to replace the resources you just used.  (Hell, Zelda 2 used xp and made you want to engage in fights.  And the battles are more intense that, if you get hit, your xp gets taken away on top of your health.  It’s a brutally engaging encounter/fighting scenario and is quite brilliant.. doing what Dark Souls hasn’t even thought of yet.)   When it comes to weapons, this just feels cheap.  It's a reflection of planned obsolescence, and frankly, is a poor approach, IMO.  In other games, and IRL, there's no greater feeling than holding a weapon and depending on it as your trusty sword/gun, whatever... Something you feel as an extension of you.. You can rely on protecting you... that's proven it's worth on the battlefield or helped you survive in the wilderness..   Yeah, that sense does not exist in BOTW 1 or 2. Everything you wield is cheap... even the Master Sword.   In regards to the fuse ability, more than half the time when fusing weapons, they come out looking goofy AF.  It's the same feeling like watching TMNT2: Secret of the Ooze;  Like a 5 year old came up with the fight scenes and is afraid of using weapons.  Guess that shouldn't be a surprise being a Nintendo 1st party game.

Overall, this new Zelda is too much a far cry of what I loved about a Zelda game.  Yeah, I’m getting old AF now, but there’s not really much left here that stokes those Zelda vibes of old.  There’s fun to be had, but it’s a huge shame it’s at the expense of overtaking the Zelda IP of all Nintendo IPs in which it would’ve worked so much better on..

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12979 on: July 11, 2023, 10:25:26 AM »
My Zelda Collectors Edition Strategy Guide arrived  :rejoice
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12980 on: July 11, 2023, 05:11:31 PM »
In TOTK I'm in the Fire Temple now. Haven't had much time to play as of late but this is a great section.

This game is actually more traditional than BOTW because it relies more on objectives, NPC's and quests and less on just 'roaming around' and stumbling across things.
After all the world is no longer entirely hostile and empty.

However this means that to 'feel' progress you need to stick to quests and the story more. The only part that feels undercooked to me (mosly because of the hardware limitations I guess) is the Sky Islands.
There aren't that many and they aren't that interesting. They mostly have a few chests, some hidden enemies, a skydiving minigame or a shrine. They feel more like the hidden 'bonus areas' of this game than actually part of the world.

🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12981 on: July 16, 2023, 10:57:24 AM »
Aonuma and friends literally named the missing drummer Beetz.

How do they get away with this.  :doge
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12982 on: July 16, 2023, 03:41:51 PM »
Finally had time to play some more Tears of the Kingdom.
Beat the Fire temple, which was decent and had a classic Zelda-style boss. 

Having a ton of fun exploring the Hyrule Field / Nebula region. I remember that outside the castle this was a weak area in Breath of the Wild. Outside of a couple references there wasn't a whole lot to do as it was pretty much the starting area to guide you to either the Rito mountains or Zora's domain.

In TOTK this area has a ton of content(TM). I entered an abandoned village, goddamn gloom hands show up. Noticed a well, jumped down, landed right on a Talus. 
Beat the Talus, found a shrine. Beat the shrine, got back to the surface. Entered the Skyview tower, went to a Sky Island with a crystal puzzle and had to built a motherfucking aeroplane to carry a Crystal from island A to B.
This game is sooo good :lawd
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12983 on: July 17, 2023, 01:59:43 PM »
Picked up the hot new Not-Danganronpa today, Master Detective Archives: Rain Code. :rejoice :uguu

Game is pretty sweet. The cases feel slightly more grounded so far than the ones in Danganronpa, although it's still hella anime of course. I like the vibe they're going for, anime noir. A violent, corrupt city where it always rains. It's got pretty solid production value for one of these types of games. It has a fully 3D over world with about a dozen locations that you can visit between cases and do sidequests. Nothing too amazing, mostly just fetch quests where you talk to a couple of people and solve their problems, but it's a nice break between the main cases and you get to meet up with NPCs from previous cases. The way the cases are laid out isn't much different than Danganronpa, you start with an investigation stage where you examine the crime scene and then interrogate suspects and witnesses. Then the MC retreats to his mind palace, and you assemble all the evidence in a series of minigames similar to the non-stop debates from DR. I finished Chapter 2 last night, I think there's 5 chapters (plus a prologue) so I may be close to halfway through. The cases are all pretty meaty, I think I've put around 12-15 hours into it.
©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #12984 on: July 18, 2023, 04:12:14 PM »
Since finishing TOTK two ish weeks ago, I haven’t had the drive to start something else. Still want to be playing it. But felt I needed to step away for my own good. Genuinely upsetting to see the hours played for it in the Switch UI. BOTW playtime was already embarrassing.

Can’t wait to relapse in six years with the next one.

james

« Reply #12985 on: July 18, 2023, 08:51:11 PM »
Since finishing TOTK two ish weeks ago, I haven’t had the drive to start something else. Still want to be playing it. But felt I needed to step away for my own good. Genuinely upsetting to see the hours played for it in the Switch UI. BOTW playtime was already embarrassing.

Can’t wait to relapse in six years with the next one.

If you want another platformer, I suggest mario kart

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12986 on: July 19, 2023, 03:45:08 PM »
Me: "I can probably skip Pikmin 4"

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1681652402338897923

Damn, Pikmin 4 got hands 
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #12987 on: July 19, 2023, 04:00:03 PM »
I mean, 87 MC Pikmin is still probably skippable. But you do you.

james

« Reply #12988 on: July 19, 2023, 04:17:04 PM »
Jeff Gertsman back at Gamespot?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12989 on: July 25, 2023, 12:06:21 AM »
my uncle who works for nintendo says something zelda being announced before end of year  :thinking

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12990 on: July 25, 2023, 10:53:40 AM »
Release Twilight Princess on the Switch, you cowards.
©@©™

Svejk

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12992 on: September 07, 2023, 12:27:30 PM »
Still gonna treat it as rumor, but the Switch 2 was shown behind closed doors at Gamescom, running Zelda ToTK at a higher framerate/resolution via DLSS.

Going to be very happy if this has a backwards compatilbilty function that lets games upscale and run smoother like this. :drool
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #12993 on: September 07, 2023, 02:18:47 PM »
I will LMAO if it's not BC.  They wouldn't do that though, would they?

Fifstar

« Reply #12994 on: September 07, 2023, 03:50:43 PM »
BC but at same old performance, 70€ for the glowed up version.
Gulp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12995 on: September 07, 2023, 03:57:38 PM »
It is backwards compatible as Nintendo already explained they wanted to keep NSO going and everything but there's a question on how backwards compatibility is going to work and if it'll be available at launch.

- 100% backwards compatible: Switch cartridge slot and perhaps even the original chip included for 1:1 backwards compatibility
- Digital only BC: no 'legacy' cartridge slot to save some $$$
- Limited "enhanced" BC: a selection of games 'patched' to be backwards compatible

Nintendo said they wanted a smooth transition from Switch 1 -> Switch 2, so my guess is that the first Switch 2 model will have a second slot if necessary(like the Nintendo DS did) and everything else required.
But that in time they start to phase out physical BC and go with digital BC only.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #12996 on: September 07, 2023, 11:57:39 PM »
I've already been burned by Nintendo when they didn't carry over my digital library from Wii & Wii-U to Switch; I will not follow them to the next system unless it's 100% backwards compatible.  Between all my games purchases across consoles and PC's in the last decade, I have enough to last me my entire life, and improved hardware means nothing to me if it's not "improved enough" to play games from the previous system, both physical and digitally.

Svejk

« Reply #12997 on: September 08, 2023, 09:16:32 AM »
Unless MP4 or a Zelda Classic Remake launch with it, will no doubt be in no hurry to get whatever they churn out.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It'll be outdated already anyway.  :dice
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12998 on: September 08, 2023, 03:26:42 PM »
Rumor has it the upcoming September Nintendo Direct will include a new Donkey Kong(the open world game?) and F-Zero game (possibly the GX remaster?) for Switch.

I wonder if the Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War remake finally surfaces too.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12999 on: September 12, 2023, 11:58:51 PM »

Gungrave G.O.R.E first launched for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam on November 22, 2022. It is also available via Xbox Game Pass.

The Switch version will ship with more than 100 gameplay improvements, but details were not announced.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #13000 on: September 13, 2023, 10:49:18 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13001 on: September 13, 2023, 04:43:05 PM »
40 minutes that's a decent length for a Direct.

I'm hoping to see those rumored games finally surface:
- Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War Remake
- Donkey Kong
- F-Zero

Wild cards
- Metroid Prime 4
- Xenoblade Chronicles X: Definitive Edition
🤴

james

« Reply #13002 on: September 14, 2023, 10:42:17 AM »
I was getting worried but they managed to fit in a farming sim thank god

Wargroove 2 lets gooooooooooooooo

Polident Hive

« Reply #13003 on: September 14, 2023, 10:44:38 AM »

So, Switch U for sure next year.

james

« Reply #13004 on: September 14, 2023, 11:23:06 AM »
Just realized they didnt show the next batch of N64 games

Stupid fucks

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13005 on: September 14, 2023, 12:32:58 PM »
F-Zero ended up being a battle royal
:dead

Still cool but I don't think that's what anyone was waiting for.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13006 on: September 14, 2023, 12:42:16 PM »
Miyamoto saw his shadow, that means 6 more years of no Switch 2.
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #13007 on: September 14, 2023, 01:20:55 PM »
Anyone know if Contra is exclusive or coming to other consoles?  That was the highlight for me.  Tomb Raider Trilogy is confirmed for other consoles/PC, so that's good.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13008 on: September 14, 2023, 01:33:29 PM »
It's coming to other consoles.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13009 on: September 14, 2023, 01:53:26 PM »
Anyone know if Contra is exclusive or coming to other consoles?  That was the highlight for me.  Tomb Raider Trilogy is confirmed for other consoles/PC, so that's good.

I'm not sure if I want to go back and play the old Tomb Raider games without some 'modern' QOL enhancements (TR3 save system).  You'd also think they'd remember that they already remade the first game- why not include that too?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13010 on: September 14, 2023, 09:06:32 PM »
Welp, it's got those QOL enhancements after all!  Interested now.
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #13011 on: September 15, 2023, 12:29:02 PM »
I’ll be getting the TTYD remake of course. Bug Fables was a barely competent clone of it.
🍆🍆

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13012 on: September 15, 2023, 11:40:42 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13013 on: September 16, 2023, 09:00:12 AM »
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #13014 on: September 16, 2023, 08:49:13 PM »
Played some F-Zero99... Yep.. it's F-Zero99.  Neat, but nothing too exciting. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13015 on: September 17, 2023, 11:08:40 AM »
F-Zero 99 is the shit :cruise

So far I'm finishing around rank 40 in regular races.
Almost made it to a top 10 finish before exploding.

I also like how they used all the art from the comics/manual in the UI and such.

Nintendo has such an incredible eye for detail :uguu
🤴

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #13016 on: September 30, 2023, 08:22:15 AM »
I own 57 Switch games and not one of them was published by Nintendo.

If you were to tell me that in the Gamecube days, I'd tell ya to lay off the freebase.
UK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13017 on: October 18, 2023, 06:41:47 PM »
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 96
Metroid Prime Remastered - 94
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 93
Xenoblade 3: Future Redeemed - 92
Pikmin 4 - 87
Advance Wars 1 + 2 - 82
Bayonetta Origins - 81
Fire Emblem Engage - 80

We need a 95 game to complete the set, Mario RPG maybe?
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #13018 on: October 18, 2023, 08:24:18 PM »
Mario Wonder.

Starts off nice, but voice acting? Talking plants? Fuck off.

Then I choose Luigi as a character, he doesn't have the little wobbly airtime?

Then I choose Peach as a character, she doesn't have the glide?

Game suck 5-10
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13019 on: October 19, 2023, 09:33:20 AM »
 :dunno

Anyway, can't wait to play some Wonder today and wash the mediocre taste of Sonic out of my mouth.
ど助平