Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 945268 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #12780 on: May 12, 2023, 01:56:18 PM »
©@©™

Kevtones

« Reply #12781 on: May 12, 2023, 02:08:10 PM »
Tip: make at least 3-4 spicy pepper recipes before attempting to get to the third shrine.

Game is just really crazy. There’s so much freedom in your toolset. It’s so ambitious and ballsy and it nails the landing so damn well.
wrong

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12782 on: May 12, 2023, 02:09:44 PM »

We've come full circle
🤴

Kevtones

« Reply #12783 on: May 12, 2023, 02:19:05 PM »
Okay, Ascend is amazing and as satisfying as it gets.

FUCK this game is so good.
wrong

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12784 on: May 12, 2023, 02:42:53 PM »
Really impressed with how well Zelda runs and how polished everything is overall.
:leon
Nuts & Bolts vehicle building, same overworld, complex physics engine that runs on an outdated tablet and beats anything seen on 'next-gen' platforms.

Aonuma once again low key creating the best game of all time on hard mode during a pandemic.  :doge

I wonder how much energy they put on developing the Switch Pro version of the game that was shelved
:O

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #12785 on: May 12, 2023, 05:55:45 PM »
Did eurogamer bring back scores just to drop a troll 4/5 on Zelda? :judgement

There must be some dry dicks seething over that cos it equals an 80 on meta
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12786 on: May 12, 2023, 06:06:28 PM »
Played about 2 - 3 hours of the tutorial section with 1 shrine left to go. What a magical game.
The intro scene was absolutely fantastic, if this is a tease for what's to come in terms of story and cutscenes we're in for a treat.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Zelda is basically a The Legend of Zelda lore YouTuber herself lmao.
[close]

They weren't lying about the sound design, much improved.
The art direction so far is crazy good and the game looks sharper than BOTW did thanks to some sort of upscaling (I think DF figured out it was FSR).

Performance wise it runs much better than I expected but like in BOTW the tree transparancies and ability overlays can kill the framerate.
Building stuff controls surprisingly well. Some subtle yet effective QOL improvements compared to BOTW.

Once you get a hang of the mechanics your mind just starts racing about all the possibilities.
As soon as I can built planes I'm going to try and create a dive bomber.  :mods

Like Nuts & Bolts folks who aren't creative or have low IQ's are going to have a hard time though. In BOTW there was usually a solution that seemed like the one that made the most sense or what the developers intended. In the tutorial section this is already slowly disappearing. Plus it's mostly about creating disposable tools from your materials as opposed to collecting and preserving items even more so than in BOTW.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's a gacha machine that just dispenses the special items like fans and flame throwers and you can seemingly deploy those items whenever you want
[close]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:34:49 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12787 on: May 12, 2023, 07:01:04 PM »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12788 on: May 12, 2023, 08:29:33 PM »
Gotta say, the sky towers/map things are fucking cool.
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12789 on: May 12, 2023, 11:01:15 PM »
Having Jeff Gerstmann make it to to the second shrine and then give up after that, stumbling around with the controls and saying "oh Id wish theyd let me do this thing" when he didnt even have more than two different zonai capsules is fucking lmao

Guy is such a sourpuss
What

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12790 on: May 12, 2023, 11:43:04 PM »
Having Jeff Gerstmann make it to to the second shrine and then give up after that, stumbling around with the controls and saying "oh Id wish theyd let me do this thing" when he didnt even have more than two different zonai capsules is fucking lmao

Guy is such a sourpuss
wasn't he one of the dorks who couldn't figure out how to have fun playing wii sports?  :snoop

james

« Reply #12791 on: May 13, 2023, 12:43:03 AM »
4 hours into new fall guys season and i appreciate all the new levels but the critics were right, theyre soulless without the overarching theme and the random decorations

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12792 on: May 13, 2023, 03:30:57 AM »
Yoshi-P playing it on the Finsl Fantasy stream
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1656978987174993921
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #12793 on: May 13, 2023, 05:09:29 AM »

Guy is such a sourpuss

He’s still mad about Zelda fans burning down his house and tattooing ”8.8 TOO LOW” on his back. Get over it already, Jeff.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12794 on: May 13, 2023, 05:39:12 AM »

Guy is such a sourpuss

Like Nuts & Bolts folks who aren't creative or have low IQ's are going to have a hard time

:hesright
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12795 on: May 13, 2023, 08:16:40 AM »
This game is beautifully frustrating. I have made very little progress because everywhere I go when I'm doing the story missions I keep getting sidetracked because there's so many things to do. Fucking great game.

Edit: BotW was similar, but the level of things to do in this version of Hyrule has been increased exponentially.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 08:21:32 AM by Potato »
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12796 on: May 13, 2023, 09:41:48 AM »
What

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12797 on: May 13, 2023, 09:54:14 AM »
While the construction and weapon fusing abilities got all the attention, Ascend is the secret MVP ability of this game.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12798 on: May 13, 2023, 11:11:42 AM »
Ascend is so good  :lawd I read in an interview that it was a 'cheat' Aonuma asked for during debugging to get in and out of caves and they turned it into an ability.

Made it to the surface now. The scope and detail of this game is just insane. BOTW already had a dense overworld but this takes it up a notch. Things that would be quests in other games apparently don't even register towards completion in this game. I thought the materials would be sparse like the metal objects in BOTW, but the overworld is just littered with stuff. I can't wait to see what the Zora, Gerudo etc. areas have turned into.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12799 on: May 13, 2023, 11:56:42 AM »
Hyrule from BotW is recognisable, but it is functionally a different map entirely. Imagine thinking this was going to just be "a big DLC".
Spud

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12800 on: May 13, 2023, 05:35:50 PM »
The tutorial area is worse than Kingdom Hearts 2. Like bruh can I get to the game already
fat

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12801 on: May 13, 2023, 06:00:46 PM »
The tutorial area is worse than Kingdom Hearts 2. Like bruh can I get to the game already
Gotta agree. It overstayed its welcome
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12802 on: May 13, 2023, 06:12:25 PM »
The area was interesting overall but for the tutorial section it would've been nice if part of it was optional for returning players.

New and old things are kind of blended together, so you don't know if the Construct is going to teach you how to cook or how the new batteries work.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12804 on: May 13, 2023, 11:43:48 PM »
Them rockets!!!

Anyway, one boss down. Probably did it too early. Now to unlock the map and do some sidequests.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12805 on: May 14, 2023, 03:46:57 AM »

I liked this guy on tutorial island.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12806 on: May 14, 2023, 05:08:57 AM »
I didn't know he was hiding there but I figured out a bit too late you could move those floating blocks with Ultrahand. Early on I figured they needed to be activated first or something.
The time I could've saved not building staircases out of logs  :lol
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #12807 on: May 14, 2023, 09:50:59 AM »
Why does such a fantastic game get gimped with such rancid controllers with no button mapping? 

On the other hand, it's staggering what they've pulled off here.  Was about to attempt to descend a chasm, but got sidetracked multiple times. Crazy how flat botw feels now. Lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12808 on: May 14, 2023, 11:01:12 AM »
Swapping the jump button makes the game much more enjoyable otherwise I don't have much trouble with the controls. Although I would like to have 'favorite' items to pull out as opposed to scrolling down the entire list everytime to find bomb flowers.
Admittedly it's more guided than BOTW was in the beginning. It's best to follow directions until the main quests opens up and you get all the basics like the sailcloth, camera, horses etc. but once you do, just incredible.

With that said. Holy fucking shit this game is the GOAT fellas.
I was floating across Hyrule, a lightning storm started. I dived into a tree stump which turned out to be much deeper than I thought, I tripped on the vines, fell into the water, killed the enemies, mined the stuff. Used Ascend to get back out in 2 seconds.
Everything just works so well, from the combat, to the exploration to building contraptions and all the abilities. How the hell is this even possible. There was stuff I was sure I couldn't do that actually worked. A piece of a castle crumbled and fell all the way down into a massive pit. I did recall to restore it and then used ultra hand to grab it so I could fix a roof and ascend into it.

Also I did notice some big graphical improvements over BOTW. Specifically the draw distance, particles and textures.
And how fun is it to see what all the NPC's you saved in BOTW have been up to.  :lawd
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12809 on: May 14, 2023, 11:31:13 AM »
I have no issue with the controls (but im playing on a DS4), Im just  ??? at journalists on stream who cant figure out the controls 8 hours in
What

Svejk

« Reply #12810 on: May 14, 2023, 11:47:14 AM »
I have no issue with the controls (but im playing on a DS4), Im just  ??? at journalists on stream who cant figure out the controls 8 hours in
The 8-bitDo adapter does support the DS4 motion controls!  :rejoice Bless that shit up! 

Swapping the jump button makes the game much more enjoyable otherwise I don't have much trouble with the controls. Although I would like to have 'favorite' items to pull out as opposed to scrolling down the entire list everytime to find bomb flowers.
Admittedly it's more guided than BOTW was in the beginning. It's best to follow directions until the main quests opens up and you get all the basics like the sailcloth, camera, horses etc. but once you do, just incredible.

With that said. Holy fucking shit this game is the GOAT fellas.
I was floating across Hyrule, a lightning storm started. I dived into a tree stump which turned out to be much deeper than I thought, I tripped on the vines, fell into the water, killed the enemies, mined the stuff. Used Ascend to get back out in 2 seconds.
Everything just works so well, from the combat, to the exploration to building contraptions and all the abilities. How the hell is this even possible. There was stuff I was sure I couldn't do that actually worked. A piece of a castle crumbled and fell all the way down into a massive pit. I did recall to restore it and then used ultra hand to grab it so I could fix a roof and ascend into it.

Also I did notice some big graphical improvements over BOTW. Specifically the draw distance, particles and textures.
And how fun is it to see what all the NPC's you saved in BOTW have been up to.  :lawd
Pressing Y (?) with the quick item menu up toggles the list.  I've used the 'most used' toggle quite often now after discovering that.

I've only done 3 shrines in the surface, but they've been sooo much better and fun than botw shrines (so far).  These mechanics are fun as shit.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12811 on: May 14, 2023, 11:50:24 AM »
Theres still some niggles like not being able to eat from the quick inventory menu
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12812 on: May 14, 2023, 01:06:35 PM »
Pressing Y (?) with the quick item menu up toggles the list.  I've used the 'most used' toggle quite often now after discovering that.
Yep it's a minor thing but early on in the game there aren't many things that are most used yet so that is sort of useless :idont
If I could favorite things that would be helpful.

Also how great is shield skateboarding  :rejoice
🤴

thetylerrob

« Reply #12813 on: May 14, 2023, 02:49:07 PM »
Holding R1, Dpad Up = Throw an item.
Holding Dpad Up, R1 != Throw an item.

That's the most MGS3 tier control quirk I've noticed. Why does the order need to be that specific? Fuckin unplayable.
And yeah the sorting sucks, needs more categories and a favorite function.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12814 on: May 14, 2023, 03:20:55 PM »
The controls are awkward, but I havent played BOTW since release on WiiU so maybe they're unchanged. B to run with X to jump is so ???????
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12815 on: May 14, 2023, 04:15:21 PM »
Yep it's a minor thing but early on in the game there aren't many things that are most used yet so that is sort of useless :idont
If I could favorite things that would be helpful.

Also how great is shield skateboarding  :rejoice

Breh what about minecart shield grinding those rails
What

Svejk

« Reply #12816 on: May 15, 2023, 10:55:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/angelmendoza___/status/1657387230061551621

:crazy

Nintendo painted themselves into a corner by not making this multiplayer/PvP now. 

https://twitter.com/BootlegPhoenix/status/1658089197033623553
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 11:00:06 AM by Svejk »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12817 on: May 15, 2023, 11:03:45 AM »
I've seen an actual working mech, made by a Japanese gamer of course  :lol

Nintendo painted themselves into a corner by not making this multiplayer/PvP now. 
Wouldn't surprise me if they made a multiplayer expansion/spin-off for Switch 2.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #12818 on: May 15, 2023, 12:03:21 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me if they made a multiplayer expansion/spin-off for Switch 2.
Yeah it seems like that's the direction they want to take it; make Zelda into their own GTA Online essentially... Create your own Hylian using the Mii creator engine basically.. ugh.. I see it all too clearly now.   :exxy

RIP, classic Zelda.  Feels like they should've used Metroid as the more experimental IP than Zelda, but whatever. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 12:07:43 PM by Svejk »

james

« Reply #12819 on: May 15, 2023, 01:13:56 PM »
Why does such a fantastic game get gimped with such rancid controllers with no button mapping? 

I like how in the ad with the 40 year old commuter, he is constantly looking down at the controller because the buttons are shit

I never recovered from playing BOTW and Splatoon on Wii U and them having different jump buttons

Also no one has noticed, but the fucks at Nintendo have now gone another full month with zero virtual console releases.

james

« Reply #12820 on: May 15, 2023, 01:14:47 PM »

We are well overdue for another Four Swords adventure.

Whats Capcom up to.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12821 on: May 15, 2023, 02:39:51 PM »

Yeah it seems like that's the direction they want to take it; make Zelda into their own GTA Online essentially... Create your own Hylian using the Mii creator engine basically.. ugh.. I see it all too clearly now.   :exxy

RIP, classic Zelda.  Feels like they should've used Metroid as the more experimental IP than Zelda, but whatever.
Nintendo themselves now make the distinction 'Classic Zelda' and 'New Zelda'. They will certainly keep making classic Zelda as well as modern Zelda.
Now that TOTK is released they'll probably split the team again to make multiple games.

We are well overdue for another Four Swords adventure.

Whats Capcom up to.
Nintendo hired the guy that made Seasons/Ages and Minish Cap at Capcom and he's been the director of Zelda games since Skyward Sword.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12823 on: May 15, 2023, 05:15:05 PM »
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #12824 on: May 15, 2023, 07:53:41 PM »
The fire temple is a momentum killer, how do you make mine carts that dull? Doesn’t help that the Goron companion is so fucking annoying.

This game is having an OOT effect on the industry

https://twitter.com/CoreyBrotherson/status/1658214354389442571

https://twitter.com/alisontheperson/status/1658186209053769733

lol, those are all Sony developers or walking sim devs. Of course they’re impressed by a game that isn’t completely on rails. 

Kevtones

« Reply #12825 on: May 16, 2023, 01:05:17 AM »
Fuck being really sick since Friday or so. Zelda time got got :(
wrong

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12826 on: May 16, 2023, 07:48:21 AM »
Being an adult happened here too. Just got back from the cremation service of my uncle. He was 83 and luckily in the end passed away quickly without much suffering but I'm just not feeling well.  :-\
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #12827 on: May 16, 2023, 08:49:00 AM »
Damn.. sorry to hear that. Hope you all feel better.

Haven't played since Saturday night and won't get back on it till Friday evening.  That's been my gaming life the past 10 years.  :doge
It's a miracle I manage to complete what I do with what allotted time. 

That being said, the loading in TOTK still sucks, but I guess it is what it is on ancient hardware.  It could be worse.  :trumps Not like it's Witcher 3 on PS4 bad.

NekoFever

« Reply #12828 on: May 16, 2023, 08:50:14 AM »
This game is having an OOT effect on the industry

https://twitter.com/CoreyBrotherson/status/1658214354389442571

https://twitter.com/alisontheperson/status/1658186209053769733

I thought what a nightmare it must have been to implement the Ascend ability without breaking anything, but the game hasn't even started when you get that.

Svejk

« Reply #12829 on: May 16, 2023, 09:32:14 AM »
Ascend feels like god mode so far.  It's fun, but it's taken some challenge away.  You can use it on moblin camp platforms with ease, even on the new stone talos ones... What was the point of adding those in the game now?  :lol  This game is feeling like the Saints Row 4 coming from SR3. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12830 on: May 16, 2023, 10:06:31 AM »
Just had a hard time with a Talos, didn't think about using Ascend but did return his own rocks with Recall.  :thinking

Recall is technically the most insane thing I've ever seen in a videogame. With Ascend there's sort of the trick with the animation for deeper surfaces but recall just instantly triggers on anything in sight, no matter the distance, size or how it was manipulated.
If an object can move in the game and is not an enemy or NPC, you can recall it. Absolutely bonkers. Especially because you can combine it with Ultra Hand and Ascend too. Seriously, how is it even possible to track the random path, collision, trajectory etc. of pretty much every item in the game and pause or rewind an animation at any time during an animation without it bugging out.

People comparing this to Nuts & Bolts really don't get it. In Nuts & Bolts 90% of the challenges was racing and 10% was taking an object from A to B. In Tears of the Kingdom, I've scanned a piece of the map by entering a tower on the surface, dropped down on a sky island with a skydiving challenge. Beat a shrine with balloons and finally jumped down from the sky island into a chasm 'dark world' in the span of like 5 - 10 minutes.

Also, the music is much much better in this game compared to BOTW. Especially in all the story beats and the shrines. Overall they weren't kidding about the improved sound design giving a better sense of distance.
The Video Game Awards are just going to be a straight sweep in every category that applies.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12831 on: May 16, 2023, 01:32:05 PM »
Being an adult happened here too. Just got back from the cremation service of my uncle. He was 83 and luckily in the end passed away quickly without much suffering but I'm just not feeling well.  :-\

Damn man that sucks, sorry for your loss man :(

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12832 on: May 16, 2023, 04:19:25 PM »
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #12833 on: May 16, 2023, 07:20:10 PM »
Too scared to play this incase it exposes me as a low IQ brainlet :stahp
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12834 on: May 16, 2023, 08:01:00 PM »
The best part about it is that you don't even need to do any of these complex things to completely enjoy the game. You can just play it like BotW and it will absolutely be a great game.
Spud

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #12835 on: May 17, 2023, 06:17:05 AM »
Any% WR is already at 1.5h. Half of it is the tutorial island :dead

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12836 on: May 17, 2023, 06:37:09 AM »
The main roads are more populated with NPCs and safer to travel than in BOTW so far. In BOTW it didn't seem possible that the traveling merchants or treasure hunters would survive their trips at all.

There's also more quests and activities that involve exploration of the world and lore or building in TOTK as opposed to just slaying big monsters like in BOTW.
🤴

Fifstar

« Reply #12837 on: May 17, 2023, 09:06:44 AM »
Zelda sold more than 10 million copies in the first three days.
Gulp

Svejk

« Reply #12838 on: May 17, 2023, 09:22:37 AM »
Had a shitty work week last week, and this week is turning out the same so far..  and all I can think about is the weekend to play TOTK.
My God, I'm turning into Salary Man..  :existential

I blame Nintendo for spreading propaganda!  :bolo

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12839 on: May 17, 2023, 10:01:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1658819692553809921

"... and I see it out there, I see commentary, that if you just build great games everything would turn around" - Phil Spencer

Elden Ring sold 20 million since launch, God of War did 10 million in 3 months, Hogwarts Legacy did 12 million in 2 weeks and is now at 15 million. BOTW stands at 30 million after 6 years.

TOTK did 10 million in 3 days.

Fastest selling Nintendo game in the United States, ever.

🤴