Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 944089 times)

Himu

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #3900 on: August 22, 2018, 11:57:15 PM »
Lmao those robotech graphics on n64? Lmao
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #3901 on: August 23, 2018, 12:00:28 AM »
I just realized summer 2005 was half my fucking lifetime ago

The fuck :snoop

If that's the case then you are still a baby in my eyes if that makes you feel better.  :-*

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3902 on: August 23, 2018, 12:02:48 AM »
it seemed like a year or more where everyone in the industry was saying "Wii U CPU is too underpowered and two of the cores are cache light, that's why even Blops doesn't look as good" or whatever...and they'd just respond GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU LAZY DEVS...also IT DOES OUT OF ORDER PROCESSING

then they found out that there was another processor hidden on the die that nobody could identify so even though it was too dinky to be anything, it was obviously the secret sauce, and then it turned out to be a simple ARM chip to handle stuff like the clock and waking the console from sleep

Himu

« Reply #3903 on: August 23, 2018, 12:03:39 AM »
Any word on Nintendo putting Wii U Mario games on switch or should I just get a Wii U and mod tf out of it? Can I mod Wii U and out Wii VC games on it?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #3904 on: August 23, 2018, 12:08:36 AM »
I just realized summer 2005 was half my fucking lifetime ago

The fuck :snoop

If that's the case then you are still a baby in my eyes if that makes you feel better.  :-*

It's just a weird feeling. Like, if I was a newborn then, I'd be the same age now. Hard to explain. :thinking

Would I be making the same shitty Nintendo defenses, just with a different system?

Would I have bothered to learn JavaScript in the age where Geocities and Freewebs got replaced by social media? (Said in a different way: would I have any future career prospects at all?)

Would I even have as strong an attachment to Nintendo, or would I be the classic 13-year old Xbox Live squeaky voice F@GSL4Y3R?

Makes you think.

Tasty

« Reply #3905 on: August 23, 2018, 12:10:45 AM »
Any word on Nintendo putting Wii U Mario games on switch or should I just get a Wii U and mod tf out of it? Can I mod Wii U and out Wii VC games on it?

1. Not sure, you're taking a gamble on the ever-unpredictable Nintendo. But DK made it over so who knows.

2. Yes. All Wii hacks work on Wii U, and Wii U has a bunch of hacks of its own.

benjipwns

« Reply #3906 on: August 23, 2018, 12:10:56 AM »
the actual greatest special fellow fight in my mind was the DC vs. PS2 one, that lasted for decades due to the whole last stand of Sega factor...and there's that one guy, he was on GAF, Beyond3D, everywhere, who continued to insist the DC had all these secret features that the PS2 couldn't replicate and that Sega's only mistake was not putting two of every chip inside the console like they did on some Naomi arcade boards even though this would have made it cost like $600

and the ONLY reason you never saw any of these features in games, was because developers hate Sega and Nintendo and refuse to do real work on their consoles, Nintendo got roped in because after the Dreamcast died they shifted over to it and the major SECRET FEATURE was BUMP MAPPING, when only the Xbox could legitimately do bump mapping on hardware as we'd think of it as a shader operation, the PS2 could essentially fake it with its fillrate, and the DC and GCN could theoretically do the same through other methods but nobody would do it because it was a waste of limited memory and passes

then of course High Voltage obviously did it in The Conduit and it looked awful

Tasty

« Reply #3907 on: August 23, 2018, 12:13:43 AM »
Deep down inside, every Nintard clamors for a super powerful Nintendo system that competes graphically with the latest Sony or Microsoft system.

This really is the truth and the core of this whole comitragedy. We want what we can never have, and we know it.

But man, when Nintendo was trying, they were the fucking king of the world.

There's a reason SNES gen is looked back upon so fondly.

benjipwns

« Reply #3908 on: August 23, 2018, 12:14:53 AM »
would I be the classic 13-year old Xbox Live squeaky voice F@GSL4Y3R?
This is one of the greatest classic Xbox Live videos to ever exist and I don't think it ever can truly be topped:

Tasty

« Reply #3909 on: August 23, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »
it seemed like a year or more where everyone in the industry was saying "Wii U CPU is too underpowered and two of the cores are cache light, that's why even Blops doesn't look as good" or whatever...and they'd just respond GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU LAZY DEVS...also IT DOES OUT OF ORDER PROCESSING

then they found out that there was another processor hidden on the die that nobody could identify so even though it was too dinky to be anything, it was obviously the secret sauce, and then it turned out to be a simple ARM chip to handle stuff like the clock and waking the console from sleep

That plus "the CPU is 30% better than PS360 guys!!"

<one year later Xbox One and PS4 come out>

"Well shit."

Tasty

« Reply #3910 on: August 23, 2018, 12:16:02 AM »
would I be the classic 13-year old Xbox Live squeaky voice F@GSL4Y3R?
This is one of the greatest classic Xbox Live videos to ever exist and I don't think it ever can truly be topped:

A classic, forever.

benjipwns

« Reply #3911 on: August 23, 2018, 12:22:18 AM »
Lazy8s was the DC guy who seemed to be everywhere.

Look at this thread started in 2014 about PS2 vs. DC, 120 pages: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26634-PS2-vs-Dreamcast-Graphics

That one's special because guess who appears in it. Not Lazy8s but A BLACK FALCON, who proceeds to write his standard 20,000 word posts while also flipping out and just insulting people like he never did on GAF to where they ban him from the thread or something.

Tasty

« Reply #3912 on: August 23, 2018, 12:25:12 AM »
>Mentioning non-GAF/RE forums like we know wtf you're talking about

benjipwns

« Reply #3913 on: August 23, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »
Lazy8s and A Black Falcon were both on GAF for a long time. Lazy eventually saned up and stopped fighting the DC fight and ranting about THE IMAGE QUALITY. IIRC, he became a PC gamer. :lol

benjipwns

Tasty

« Reply #3915 on: August 23, 2018, 12:45:47 AM »
Welp, everyone else logged off. It's just you and me and talking about Nintendo, benji.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Send nudes. :phil
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #3916 on: August 23, 2018, 12:53:14 AM »
The Wii is the only console I've bought since the first Xbox.

Tasty

« Reply #3917 on: August 23, 2018, 01:19:15 AM »
That actually doesn't look too bad tbh.

Himu

« Reply #3918 on: August 23, 2018, 01:31:38 AM »
Ps2 how was real. I’ve srill got that massive EGM on it. I should take pics of the ps2 section because it was a total “Dreamcast what?” moment. I was a complete and utter Sony stan. No fucks given.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3919 on: August 23, 2018, 01:37:12 AM »
I remember when EGM did a big writeup on Sonic Adventure and they were like "they scanned actual rocks for textures" and that was a big moment, like holy shit they scanned actual rocks!

benjipwns

« Reply #3920 on: August 23, 2018, 01:39:11 AM »
I remember when EGM did a big writeup on Sonic Adventure and they were like "they scanned actual rocks for textures" and that was a big moment, like holy shit they scanned actual rocks!

GAMES ARE BACK

benjipwns

« Reply #3921 on: August 23, 2018, 01:40:04 AM »
since it was a few posts up from that...that gamefan exclusive on PROJECT REALITY, STILL AN EXCLUSIVE TO THIS DAY:

agrajag

« Reply #3922 on: August 23, 2018, 01:42:54 AM »
since it was a few posts up from that...that gamefan exclusive on PROJECT REALITY, STILL AN EXCLUSIVE TO THIS DAY:
(Image removed from quote.)

hahaha wtf is this

agrajag

« Reply #3923 on: August 23, 2018, 01:47:23 AM »
the craziest thing about Nintendo trying to use Killer Instinct as a showcase for the Ultra 64/Project Reality whatever hardware was that KI was essentially a 2D game with pre-rendered sprites and the impressive thing about it was the high quality art assets and canned animations as well as FMV, all of which took up much storage space, an area in which N64 was particularly crippled.  :doge

I have to say, going to the arcades as a kid at that time and not understanding or caring about polygons, KI looked a lot more impressive to me than Tekken or Virtua Fighter 2.

benjipwns

« Reply #3924 on: August 23, 2018, 01:49:57 AM »
Even better, Killer Instinct used a hard drive to store and access everything.

agrajag

« Reply #3925 on: August 23, 2018, 01:50:50 AM »
Even better, Killer Instinct used a hard drive to store and access everything.

as was the norm for arcade hardware

Himu

« Reply #3926 on: August 23, 2018, 01:51:33 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen as much hype for a console as I did with the PS2. And somehow it lived up to it.

Right?
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #3927 on: August 23, 2018, 01:57:59 AM »
as was the norm for arcade hardware
i think the norm was using ROM, hard drives would have been prohibitively expensive

Himu

« Reply #3928 on: August 23, 2018, 02:06:25 AM »
:lol sonic adventure
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #3929 on: August 23, 2018, 02:06:39 AM »
As a dirty Ninthing I remember a couple dreams I had where I got a GameCube the summer before it released. The disappointment when I awoke was real. :lol

Luigi's Mansion was the perfect launch game too. I'd always loved Luigi more than Mario and had been into "weird/creepy" stuff like Unsolved Mysteries. Combining the two in a launch game for the system I was hyped as fuck for? Ace. And of course... Melee.

Christmas 2001 is probably still my fave one, since both my sister and I got GameCubes. The next year we were both hype AF for Animal Crossing and we'd play an "analogue" version of it with Lego together. :lol :lol

Tasty

« Reply #3930 on: August 23, 2018, 02:09:17 AM »
Note: Although both my sisters are filthy Ninthings such as myself, the one I've brought up today was my younger sister who made an appearance at Bore-con earlier this month. :)

benjipwns

« Reply #3931 on: August 23, 2018, 02:18:22 AM »
:lol sonic adventure
not everything can be FFVII

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3932 on: August 23, 2018, 07:58:00 AM »
GAMES ARE BACK

:lol Was this from 1998 or 1999?  If it's when Sonic Adventure came out for the Japanese DC in '98, I can kind of understand the insane hype for it.  It was pretty impressive considering that there wasn't much else worth bothering with on the DC apart from the then already two-year old VF3 port at the time.  Then we got a trickle of games before the U.S. launch and easily the most impressive game was Soul Calibur, which was one of the first, if not the first home games to completely surpass the arcade version. 

I'm rambling, but basically if they put up that review for the U.S. Dreamcast launch...lol.

Looks like a Jaguar game.  Maybe they drew that after drinking some more of that acid-laced coffee they had.  :doge
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #3933 on: August 23, 2018, 08:23:33 AM »
GAMES ARE BACK

:lol Was this from 1998 or 1999?  If it's when Sonic Adventure came out for the Japanese DC in '98, I can kind of understand the insane hype for it.  It was pretty impressive considering that there wasn't much else worth bothering with on the DC apart from the then already two-year old VF3 port at the time.  Then we got a trickle of games before the U.S. launch and easily the most impressive game was Soul Calibur, which was one of the first, if not the first home games to completely surpass the arcade version. 

I'm rambling, but basically if they put up that review for the U.S. Dreamcast launch...lol.

Like one of those reviewers mentioned, I too bought the JP Sonic Adventure before I even got that imported DC.  :lol  Having it and Power Stone, I was in gaming ecstasy!  :dsp

Tasty

agrajag

« Reply #3935 on: August 23, 2018, 11:17:45 AM »
Their PR speak is so confusing.

They just had an indies showcase a couple of days ago, now it's Nindies..

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3936 on: August 23, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »
Their PR speak is so confusing.

They just had an indies showcase a couple of days ago, now it's Nindies..

just wait for the tindies showcase :mouf
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #3937 on: August 23, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »
I'm waiting for the tendies showcase

:delicious

benjipwns

« Reply #3938 on: August 23, 2018, 12:41:39 PM »
Benji, now's your cue for those dumb Sonic CD reviews.
well, okay, if you insist, just one more because it's the best one:

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3939 on: August 23, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
Anybody getting Little Dragon's Cafe tomorrow?

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3940 on: August 23, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
It's made by the Harvest Moon guy, but apparently it's pretty light on the micromanagement, focusing more on the story and characters aspect of running a cafe and raising a dragon.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #3941 on: August 23, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »
That does sound quaint and charming. Maybe!

archie4208

« Reply #3942 on: August 23, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
I just learned there's a data transfer tool for Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

I can start at G rank without having to grind another 100 hours.  :lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3943 on: August 23, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »
Benji, now's your cue for those dumb Sonic CD reviews.
well, okay, if you insist, just one more because it's the best one:

Right up there with "the shadows aren't blue!"

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/blueshadows.html

spoiler (click to show/hide)
They were blue- they didn't realize that changing the music type changes the shadows.  And WHO GIVES A FUCK
[close]

What's up with those score breakdowns, too?  How did they get 100 when not everything was a 10?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:03:27 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3944 on: August 23, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »
That site is a goldmine for dumb old game journo reviews/quotes.

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/blueshadows1.html

"This is the wave of the future!"

-first line of the review of Sherlock Holmes 1 by Steve Harris: Publisher, Editor-In-Chief EGM

"I really hate these types of games - they bore me to tears, and once you finish them, there is hardly any reason to play them again!"

-first line of the review of Sherlock Holmes 2 by Steve Harris: Publisher, Editor-In-Chief EGM

Things really haven't changed all that much.
:neogaf
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #3945 on: August 23, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »
I only trust sushi X

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3946 on: August 23, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »
Holy wow, what a trip down memory lane itt.

The Wii rumor fuckery was insane. I was right in the middle of it with a dude named 'MozLaPunk' figuring out just how much bullshit we could peddle until we started to believe in our own hype.
I remember photo shopping fake boxes, console mock-ups, the entire thing. we quickly learned that for a rumor to stick you had to combine it with something that was actually plausible.

Fun times.

Then the Wii U happened and to my surprise much of the same people started to peddle the same exact bullshit. I do remember this story about this girl banging a Nintendo employee or something to get inside information and screenshots and such.
I don't think it was Emily Rogers but that could've actually been her big break.

and also

SURFER GIRL  :doge
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #3947 on: August 23, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »
SURFERGIRL :dead

That was such a trip.

Tasty

« Reply #3948 on: August 23, 2018, 04:16:51 PM »
Also I totally forgot about Travis Strikes Again or whatever. :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #3949 on: August 23, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
What's up with some of these 2d indie game file sizes on switch? I grabbed Hollow Knight and it's 5gb+ and checked my files to make room and wtf Night in the Woods is 6.4gb! 2d stuff should be like <2gb or even <1gb on Switch if possible.

But this was the tipping point that convinced me to get a MicroSD card, especially with the XB2 Expansion coming as DLC which will probably be big. Just ordered a 128gb card for $30. Hopefully that'll last me for the Switch lifetime. I still buy all my retail games physical.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3950 on: August 23, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »
Can't believe you went this long without a micro SD card!

BTW, don't forget that the XB2 expansion will also be getting a physical release.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #3951 on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »
Can't believe you went this long without a micro SD card!

BTW, don't forget that the XB2 expansion will also be getting a physical release.

I play like 2-3 Switch games a year? Aka, normal pace for a Nintendo system for me. So I've managed with the default storage.

As for XB2 expansion, I bought the season pass at launch for all the quest packs and characters along the way which includes Torna expansion so I'll be downloading it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3952 on: August 23, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »
 :badass
ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #3953 on: August 24, 2018, 03:17:55 AM »

New gameplay from Deamon X Machina. Art style looks really cool. Not quite sure about the gameplay, seems like the player is just constantly strafing and lock on shooting.
Gulp

Himu

« Reply #3954 on: August 24, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3955 on: August 24, 2018, 05:07:47 PM »
i want a new n64. but I'm worried the games are expensive af now
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3956 on: August 24, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
They are, if you want the staples expect to pay upwards of $30
fat

Tasty

« Reply #3957 on: August 24, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
Just wait for the N64 Classic. 8)

Himu

« Reply #3958 on: August 24, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Looked at the prices of some of the games I'd want and they're not too bad. What's the best way to play n64 on an hd lcd tho
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3959 on: August 24, 2018, 05:10:42 PM »
Just wait for the N64 Classic. 8)

I want to but they haven't announced it
IYKYK