Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 945355 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #3660 on: August 10, 2018, 10:31:10 PM »
:goldberg
spoiler (click to show/hide)
For real though you do post a lot about GPD-WIN and it was a good moment for some ribbing. Don't take everything so personally. ;)
[close]
spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. I do not.
2. You should take your own advice.
[close]

So...want to talk about Switch yet?  :doge
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3661 on: August 10, 2018, 10:36:19 PM »
Pretty much everyone I've played has been the total definition of scrub.  Then I just got a guy who transformed into Sonicfox and annihilated me.  Was a "put the controller down and watch cuz u dead" moment. :lol
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3662 on: August 11, 2018, 04:18:53 AM »
So apparently Metroid Prime 4 is building on Sylux from Hunters, who was my favorite character online in that game (seriously, he was ridic overpowered, and could drain your health in like two seconds in his "morph ball" form.) I had no idea he made appearances in Prime 3 and Federation Force. Actually, I had no idea he survived Hunters at all, but my recollection of the barebones plot is a bit fuzzy.

This is awesome and has gotten me really excited for Prime 4 now. :)

CG Mag: So for the story, will you be carrying over any of the story elements we saw in the previous Metroid Prime games into this one?

Tanabe: So the story around Basin and Dark Samus in my mind is already complete. The previous games completed those stories. But Are you familiar with the ending of Prime 3?

CG Mag: Yes.

Tanabe: Sylux is one of the hunters that was in Metroid Prime Hunters. So in Metroid Prime 3, there’s sort of hints where Sylux is sort of there. In a way to sort of create that potential for the story, between Samus and Sylux. I’d like to have that with a focus on the Federation Force as well.

CG Mag: So it is tying together a universe?

Tanabe: That is the focus of Federation Force. It works in a similar way to the Avengers where they had individual movies focus in on one hero and now this is the team up that brings it all together.

CG Mag: So kind of telling the stories of each hero.

Tanabe: So while we’re not carrying anything related to Dark Samus in the huge universe of Metroid Prime, I do have ideas on how to tie them with that universe of the previous games.

So Prime 4 is like The Avengers? :thinking

I understand trying to expand the series' appeal, it worked for me with Hunters, but isn't the core tenet of the series that it's pretty much just Samus alone in space? Hunters, Corruption, and Fed Force are trending in the direction of giving Samus a bunch of pals (most of whom died, sure) and I don't know what to think. :thinking

paprikastaude

« Reply #3663 on: August 11, 2018, 04:51:45 AM »
what is it with these delusional Metroid producers who want to push their crappy stories in a series which was once praised for doing away with all that. who didn't ask to see the tales of famous "sylux" :doge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #3664 on: August 11, 2018, 06:48:23 AM »
It's crazy how there's been endless indie/doujin devs who figured out what makes Metroid cool and have been able to put their own interesting spin on it while Nintendo keeps shitting the franchise itself up for the most part. :doge
Hi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3665 on: August 11, 2018, 07:22:38 AM »
Not sure if that interview is new. Would seem to relate to Federation Force.
Metroid Prime 4... oops what we meant was METROID PRIME 4: FEDERATION FORCE II also BLAST BALL HD just for you guys.

In any case they had the Star Wars 1313 devs on this so I expect it will be amazing regardless.
🤴

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #3666 on: August 11, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
Been playing Bayonetta in the Peach Costume  :whew

Tasty

« Reply #3667 on: August 11, 2018, 01:03:19 PM »
1. Sylux rules. :rejoice

2. The interview was for Federation Force shortly before it came out, but he reiterated Sylux' importance in a later interview too IIRC. :obama

3. Tanabe, who gave the interview, is credited as producer on every Metroid Prime game, including Pinball and Trilogy. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt? :idont

It's crazy how there's been endless indie/doujin devs who figured out what makes Metroid cool and have been able to put their own interesting spin on it while Nintendo keeps shitting the franchise itself up for the most part. :doge

Like, Samus Returns just came out and proved all the haters wrong. But OK. ::)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3668 on: August 11, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
Samus Returns had a nice balance in introducing new designs while staying the closest to the original Metroid Prime of all the games that came after it.
Out of all the Metroid Prime games the first one still has the best and most consistent art direction. The other games only have some areas that stand out.

The original concept for Metroid Prime 3 sounded way cooler than the game that we got and I would've loved to see Metroid Prime 1.5 that was never released.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #3669 on: August 11, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
Samus Returns had a nice balance in introducing new designs while staying the closest to the original Metroid Prime of all the games that came after it.
Out of all the Metroid Prime games the first one still has the best and most consistent art direction. The other games only have some areas that stand out.

The original concept for Metroid Prime 3 sounded way cooler than the game that we got and I would've loved to see Metroid Prime 1.5 that was never released.

Do you have more links to these or should I re-read MamaRobotnik's old GAF posts?

paprikastaude

« Reply #3670 on: August 11, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
Samus Returns was average. Twice as long as a normal Metroid, but the additional gametime wasn't used to do anything memorable. There's hardly any distinctive areas, so in the end it was just a giant blur without noteworthy atmosphere.

agrajag

« Reply #3671 on: August 11, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »
sylux is a dumb name

Tasty

« Reply #3672 on: August 11, 2018, 04:33:06 PM »
sylux is a dumb name

It reminds me of Cyrax, my favorite Mortal Kombat char ever.

Tasty

« Reply #3673 on: August 11, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »
But I feel like there's way more interesting stuff there than Sylux

What's the diff between Sylux and the scrapped Chozo hunter? Both want Samus dead, it's just Sylux seemingly worked for the Federation like her but grew to hate it (and its allies, including Samus obviously.)

and the federation being evil, which are the two Tanabe is really excited about :-\

Federation being evil/stupid is more of a Sakamoto thing, see also: Fusion and Other M.

As I said, it's not a deal breaker for me. Would prefer other so called narrative hooks is all I'm saying.

With Metroid Prime and Sakamoto-Metroid being different canons now (though I suppose it's more like MCU movies-TV... Prime can reference the Sakamoto stuff but it's unlikely to be reciprocated), it's hard to say for sure, but... the secret ending of Samus Returns hints at a Chozo civil war, which could lead to their reintroduction in a later game. Although if they were to be reintroduced, they'd probably be adversaries since the warrior clan seemingly took over.

Samus being on the run from the Federation (post-Other M), Sylux (post-Prime 3), and her adopted race (post-Samus Returns)? There's a lot of isolationist themes you can play with for that.

Going by this page though I'm already gearing up for a Prime 4 pre-release backlash only for haters to eat crow when it eventually comes out. :trumps

Tasty

« Reply #3674 on: August 11, 2018, 04:42:05 PM »
I will say that even at the time, and even as a non-Metroid player, it seemed like Retro was trying to Halo-fy Prime 3 with all the other characters and emphasis on up-front storytelling (as opposed to Prime 1/2's more lore-based storytelling.)

Don't know if I was right about that or not.

Trent Dole

« Reply #3675 on: August 11, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »
Yeaaaah, as the Prime games went on they seemed to get further away from what made Metroid appeal to me and thus I am suspicious of how well IV will turn out. Sure SR was good but it's a remake so can't be too sure how well that bodes for an MP. Gonna remain skeptical, if I'm wrong I get to play a cool game if I'm right I dodge disappointment and get to gloat on the internet. 8)
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #3676 on: August 11, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »
Yeaaaah, as the Prime games went on they seemed to get further away from what made Metroid appeal to me and thus I am suspicious of how well IV will turn out. Sure SR was good but it's a remake so can't be too sure how well that bodes for an MP. Gonna remain skeptical, if I'm wrong I get to play a cool game if I'm right I dodge disappointment and get to gloat on the internet. 8)

This is a good move haha. :lol

I think Prime 4 will be fine. If anything it'll probably have different problems and triumphs since it's by a new dev. I hope it's different from the OG trilogy and they don't retread old ground.

agrajag

« Reply #3677 on: August 11, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »
sylux is a dumb name

Yeah, if you mix Cyrax with sux, you get Sylux  :derp

Tasty

« Reply #3678 on: August 11, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »
sylux is a dumb name

Yeah, if you mix Cyrax with sux, you get Sylux  :derp

Lick my Nutsax :bolo

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3679 on: August 11, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »
Yep, Nintendo's idea of what a Bounty Hunter was, was very different from Retro's. Might've bee a translation issue. It was when Retro Studios discovered that Samus was no bounty hunter at all.
In MP3 she would've originally been free to fly to different planets and do missions in any order. I've seen some artwork of space flight gameplay.
The premise was kinda like the cancelled Prey 2 game.

While MP1 was a success it didn't reach the mainstream audience. One of Nintendo's goals was to try and HALO it up, which is why the federation troopers played some part in the story in MP2.
They wanted to expand the universe.

After the MP3 bounty hunter thing was shot down Retro opted for a sequel with more or less the same tone as MP2 but more casual/mainstream appeal.

MP1.5 was much different. The entire game took place on a spaceship (that Samus would end up at after her escape from Tallon IV) where a rampant AI would be her antagonist.
Kinda like the original System Shock but with a Metroid twist. In the end the team didn't stick together so it slowly evolved into Metroid Prime 2 with a different focus.
🤴

Trent Dole

« Reply #3680 on: August 11, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »
1.5 sounds a bit like Fusion. Interesting to hear that the less intriguing to me direction came down from Nintendo, I always figured RS was responsible.
Hi

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3681 on: August 12, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
Halo is cancer and I hope Metroid Switch will have the "im alone on an alien world" feel

paprikastaude

« Reply #3682 on: August 12, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
You either get the intrigues of random spin-off guy who looks like an edgy Lego figure, or the adventure of Samus taking commands from AI Adam beyond his grave.

Tasty

« Reply #3683 on: August 12, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
You either get the intrigues of random spin-off guy who looks like an edgy Lego figure, or the adventure of Samus taking commands from AI Adam beyond his grave.

:dead

Tasty

« Reply #3684 on: August 13, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
Switch Mini leaked!

Lol JK.

Tasty

agrajag

« Reply #3686 on: August 15, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »
For a low low price of $59.99

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3687 on: August 15, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
Switch is saved
fat

Tasty

« Reply #3688 on: August 15, 2018, 05:52:47 PM »

Exclusive content :trumps

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3689 on: August 15, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »
I'd probably pick it up for $20, but $60 is a pass for me.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3690 on: August 15, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »
Not the same content not the same game.  :nintendo
Nintendo players will love to enter into the world of Diablo 3 for the first time with a familiar character they know and love from the Legend of Zelda. :nintendo
Yes it is Ganondorf. The King of Evil is playable in Diablo 3 exclusively on Nintendo Switch  :nintendo
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #3691 on: August 15, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »
I haven't played Diablo since the first game, so I'm temped to give it a shot, but that price is pretty steep for a six yeard old game. Also, my Switch ran out of storage space.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3692 on: August 15, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »

Thought you were joking, then checked the article.   :lol ::) :lol
ど助平

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #3693 on: August 15, 2018, 08:37:46 PM »

Exclusive content :trumps

Like Arkham Knight Armored Edition  :doge

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3694 on: August 16, 2018, 03:54:30 AM »
Would buy for 3rd time for 20.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3695 on: August 16, 2018, 07:41:40 AM »
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate demo is up on the eShop.  Gonna give it a try although it seems that World is the one to play over this by most accounts?

Would buy for 3rd time for 20.

$30-$40 is what I would have expected, not $60.  But whatever; it will drop in price quickly enough.
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3696 on: August 16, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »
Idk games on Nintendo never drop

paprikastaude

« Reply #3697 on: August 16, 2018, 08:26:25 AM »
wait I thought 60 was a joke :mueller

mostly just Mario and Zelda

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3698 on: August 16, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »

That's usually just Nintendo's own titles (and even then some of their Switch games have dropped $10-$15)- third party titles get discounted pretty quickly, to the point that I just wait for price drops unless the game is cheap enough that an Amazon pre-order discount makes it $23 or so.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #3699 on: August 16, 2018, 09:04:33 AM »
None of Bethesda Switch ports have price dropped yet and they haven't exactly been setting the charts on fire.

Fifstar

« Reply #3700 on: August 16, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
Yeah, the more interesting third party games on switch have barely dropped in price. Even some that can be had dirt cheap on other systems. I guess the cart tax is to blame there. I'm still waiting for Doom and Skyrim to drop in price...
Gulp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3701 on: August 16, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/poi-explorer-edition/151945

Poi: Explorer Edition has dropped to $15, FUD debunked.
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3702 on: August 16, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
None of Bethesda Switch ports have price dropped yet and they haven't exactly been setting the charts on fire.

Exactly, id pickup wolfenstein or skyrim at 20 maaaaybe but they are all almost full price still

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3703 on: August 16, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/poi-explorer-edition/151945

Poi: Explorer Edition has dropped to $15, FUD debunked.

Link doesnt open in the EU

Ban plz

Tasty

« Reply #3704 on: August 16, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »
No one cares about Europe.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3705 on: August 16, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »

OK, so Bethesda is pulling a Nintendo with their shit I guess.  I paid the Switch tax for Doom, but balked at the Skyrim price.  Fuck outta here with that shit.  :lol :maf
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3706 on: August 16, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
Rumors popping up now that New Super Mario Bros. U with the New Super Luigi U levels will be released as "New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe" by the end of the year.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Diablow me
« Reply #3708 on: August 16, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
"Hey manbabies kids, what's the one Blizzard game you want to see on Switch?!?!?!!??"

"OVERWATCH!  OVERWATCH!  OVERWATCH!"

"Well kids, fuck you!  Here's Diablo for sixty bucks!!"

\
 :joker

"Nintendo is celebrating the year of 2012, so we're proud to offer our fans Diablo III and New Super Mario Bros. U for their original prices.  We know you'll enjoy playing these games that everyone else played six years ago, now with a $20 fee to play online."

\
 :nintendo
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:51:25 PM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3709 on: August 16, 2018, 12:55:30 PM »
*$20/year

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3710 on: August 16, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
Word on the street is Namco/Bandai will announce Ridge Racer 8 at GamesCom possibly as a Switch exclusive.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #3711 on: August 16, 2018, 01:00:01 PM »
Word on the street is Namco/Bandai will announce Ridge Racer 8 at GamesCom possibly as a Switch exclusive.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3712 on: August 16, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »
Oh and Call of Doody but that might've been scrapped somewhere during development due to a lack of resources.

Diablo
RR
COD
NSMBUD with Online

Would make sense, after all they need some sort of online games to sell their new online subscriptions.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3713 on: August 16, 2018, 01:04:46 PM »
Oh and Call of Doody but that might've been scrapped somewhere during development due to a lack of resources.

Diablo
RR
COD
NSMBUD with Online

Would make sense, after all they need some sort of online games to sell their new online subscriptions.

Dude, you can play Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES online with the sub.  SMB3!!!!!  :smug
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3714 on: August 16, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »

Diablo
RR
COD
NSMBUD with Online

Dude, you can play Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES online with the sub.  SMB3!!!!!  :smug
I was actually somewhat surprised they took one of their 'classics' and not just NES Tennis as their online flagship.  :doge
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #3715 on: August 16, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »
How come WoW never got a console version?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3716 on: August 16, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »

Diablo
RR
COD
NSMBUD with Online

I was actually somewhat surprised they took one of their 'classics' and not just NES Tennis as their online flagship.  :doge

I need a video of Regie showing it off on a Switch, Kaz Hirari style- "You guys remember this one?  It's Super Mario Bros. 3!  Suuuuuuuuuuuper Mario 3!"
:heh

How come WoW never got a console version?

Blizzard was smart before the Activision thing.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #3717 on: August 16, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »
?

Trent Dole

Re: Diablow me
« Reply #3718 on: August 16, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »
"Hey manbabies kids, what's the one Blizzard game you want to see on Switch?!?!?!!??"

"OVERWATCH!  OVERWATCH!  OVERWATCH!"

"Well kids, fuck you!  Here's Diablo for sixty bucks!!"

\
 :joker

"Nintendo is celebrating the year of 2012, so we're proud to offer our fans Diablo III and New Super Mario Bros. U for their original prices.  We know you'll enjoy playing these games that everyone else played six years ago, now with a $20 fee to play online."

\
 :nintendo
2013 was the year of Luigi and now 2018 is the year of 2012, Nintendo blesses us yet again! :rejoice
Hi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3719 on: August 16, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
Also there's an unknown project: "Project Mephisto" nominated at GamesCom for PS4, which is likely Diablo IV.
(which is not coming to Switch)

:doge :neogaf
🤴