Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 944121 times)

Himu

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #900 on: January 13, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »
BOTW looks fantastic. Right when I feel like I'm done with zelda they pull me back in.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #901 on: January 13, 2017, 02:09:49 AM »
Also, yeah, this isn't a "portable" that Japan would use with that battery life and size.

They made it really clear to call it "a console you can take on the go" and totally backed off from calling it a portable.

This is mistaking things.

Nintendo obviously geared this unveiling towards the global market. The global market is not fond of handhelds; Japan is. Nintendo routinely advertises things completely differently in Japan. This system will be advertised as a portable in Japan, especially as the dockless version is revealed. In America and abroad, it will be treated like a console that you can play portably to appeal to a market that does not like handhelds. But the real goal is always Nintendo's bread and butter: Japan. It will be treated as a handheld there for sure.
Obviously,

So obviously that it was in Japan, done on Japanese time, did in Japanese, and also featured plenty of Japanese developed games from Japanese centric developers made with a focus for the Japanese market with one or two western developers(one from a series with some Japanese appeal). But yeah I guess when they finally make a direct geared for Japan it won't call it a home console unlike this Japanese conference.

Whos making up shit to suit their agenda?

Himu

« Reply #902 on: January 13, 2017, 02:12:31 AM »
You said the system only has 2.5 hour battery life. At least own up to it.

Port NSMBU to switch plz
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #903 on: January 13, 2017, 02:22:31 AM »
Nah, I'm waiting for MS High and Mighty to actually say something. I thought you were the adult here remember?

I said what they said. It has on the low end 2.5 hours and it's even worse, because they are being super vague with the battery life. It depends completely on the game. Even with my little experince with handhelds, it's never been that bad. With the PSP that was only true towards the end and only when you say unlocked the higher modes(see Birth By Sleep). This is already the status quo from the get go, open to current games dropping the system to it's lowest battery life and who knows what happens when later gen games come out or just using the systems other functions. This already sounds like a questionable handheld, which according to you(based on only your ass which for some reason is not a problem for you, but for me) this is what this will be pushed as in Japan. Even though this Japanese conference called it a home console.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #904 on: January 13, 2017, 02:26:50 AM »
Himurochan, I am in no way saying switch wont be fine for some people like you, just saying that it doesnt have mainstream appeal

Im sure it will be great for Nintendo fans etc buy I  dont see it breaking out of its niche

Himu

« Reply #905 on: January 13, 2017, 02:30:25 AM »
I think it'll have mainstream appeal. People on my fb who are total casuals and never talk about games are talking about the switch right now.

rah, i did say something. I disagree that the switch is a bad handheld. 2.5 to 6.5 hours of battery life has been the standard for handhelds going back to the original 3ds and again, on the high end switch does better than most previous nintendo handhelds the past 6 years.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #906 on: January 13, 2017, 02:32:41 AM »
Himu if the switch sells 50 million ill change my avatar to "Himu was right. I love big N and BBC" for a year

Himu

« Reply #907 on: January 13, 2017, 02:35:25 AM »
my problem is people treating this like a regular nintendo console when it's already garnering nintendo handheld like support (smtv for example). If it were just a regular console, I could see your points. But it isn't. Do you think capcom is going to suddenly stop making monster hunter games on nintendo handhelds? this thing is guaranteed to be a success and comparing it to wii u is silly.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #908 on: January 13, 2017, 02:37:34 AM »
So are we on for an avatar bet? Yours can be "Kosma was right, PS4 and vag all night!"

50 million, thats only half/third of what any playstation has done. Should be doable if it has mainstream appeal right?

Himu

« Reply #909 on: January 13, 2017, 02:41:10 AM »
So are we on for an avatar bet? Yours can be "Kosma was right, PS4 and vag all night!"

50 million, thats only half/third of what any playstation has done. Should be doable if it has mainstream appeal right?

40 million.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #910 on: January 13, 2017, 02:42:12 AM »
Eh because it's already coming off as Wii U 2.0?

That is a shitty example. SMT was on the PS2 as well. It is not strictly a handheld series and it's not even clear that it's not coming to PS4. Just because Altus moved a series it's moved around before doesnt mean this is getting all of Nintendo's handheld support. Something like a Pokémon port would have.

It could easily be because of P5's console success and asset creation plus being an anniversary title that they decided to go console this time.

Himu

« Reply #911 on: January 13, 2017, 02:48:25 AM »

That is a shitty example. SMT was on the PS2 as well. It is not strictly a handheld series and it's not even clear that it's not coming to PS4. Just because Altus moved a series it's moved around before doesnt mean this is getting all of Nintendo's handheld support. Something like a Pokémon port would have.

It could easily be because of P5's console success and asset creation plus being an anniversary title that they decided to go console this time.

because non-persona SMT's don't sell and SMT proper has been relegated to handhelds for ten years? Has it been announced for PS4? No. They announced it for Switch. Keeping in line with SMT tradition going as far back as Strange Journey.

Ultimately though, the system is a hybrid. It's not a pure console and it's not a pure handheld. But treating solely as a console is absolutely foolish.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #912 on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:57 AM »
45 and we got a bet

Himu

« Reply #913 on: January 13, 2017, 02:54:21 AM »
Fine. I like eating puss though so :yeshrug anyways
IYKYK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #914 on: January 13, 2017, 02:54:49 AM »
itm

Rahxephon91

« Reply #915 on: January 13, 2017, 02:58:44 AM »

because non-persona SMT's don't sell and SMT proper has been relegated to handhelds for ten years? Has it been announced for PS4? No. They announced it for Switch. Keeping in line with SMT tradition going as far back as Strange Journey.

Ultimately though, the system is a hybrid. It's not a pure console and it's not a pure handheld. But treating solely as a console is absolutely foolish.
So non SMTs don't sell and they decided to go all big on the Switch Only? An unproven console? That makes a lot of sense.

Yeah that 8 year tradition for a series that been around for 20+ years. Really cements the series as strictly a handheld one.

How does this explain Dragon Quest which also has been on handheld only until recently also announcing a PS4/Switch specific version.

I don't know, other then that these series aren't bound by being just a handheld or console only series.

It wasn't announced as a Switch Exclusive at all. It will no doubt come to PS4.

Treating it as a console because thats really how it's being sold. It's games are console games.

Himu

« Reply #916 on: January 13, 2017, 03:04:39 AM »
You're going with false equivalences. First you say it's not aimed at Japan. But DQ11 is on Switch. Then you say it's an unproven console, when SMT games have been on Nintendo systems for two generations now. Why would they put it on an "unproven console?" I wonder! Yet they didn't announce it for ps4! Hmmm....Never mind that DQ is DQ. DQ can do whatever it wants!

The system is a hybrid. Again, console esque games on handhelds has been a thing for over ten years! It means absolutely nothing. Vita has actual ports of console games! You can buy a game on vita and play it on you ps4 if your have the game on ps4 as well. Going by your logic, Vita isn't a handheld either. Bomberman is a console game now? In this day and age it could certainly be marketed as a handheld game on a system that allows portability, because Bomberman suits that type of environment.

There's still plenty we don't know about the switch. We don't know all the games. And yet the current list confirms the rumors that the system will be a combination of both handheld and console divisions to be true.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #917 on: January 13, 2017, 03:10:35 AM »
Fine. I like eating puss though so :yeshrug anyways

Were on!

Bebpo

« Reply #918 on: January 13, 2017, 03:17:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/akirareiko/status/819804178532835328

900p? :kobeyuck

Wouldn't be surprised if most Switch games are 720p or 900p even in dock.  That Xenoblade 2 trailer looks a bit blurry even at the 720p feed and we know the tech isn't much stronger than a Wii U which certainly isn't strong enough for 1080p/30fps bells & whistle games.

But 720p/900p work better with cartoon shading art-styles (another reason why XB2 might look like it does), so /shrug.  Wii U games look great imo because of their art style.  Plus I'll probably play most of the Switch games as portables out of convenience. 

Himu

« Reply #919 on: January 13, 2017, 03:18:01 AM »
"These are all console games"

But seriously, that SMTV trailer got me hyped af. SMT with an actual budget sweet baby jesus come to mama
IYKYK

Vertigo

« Reply #920 on: January 13, 2017, 03:21:50 AM »
I'll probably get one, but $400 CAD is ridiculous for most people.  :lol

Oblivion

« Reply #921 on: January 13, 2017, 03:25:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/akirareiko/status/819804178532835328

900p? :kobeyuck

Protip: never listen to game reps for anything.

But if this turned out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised cause lol Nintendo.

Bebpo

« Reply #922 on: January 13, 2017, 03:26:57 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

But seriously, that SMTV trailer got me hyped af. SMT with an actual budget sweet baby jesus come to mama

I wouldn't expect too much.  Probably about the same "budget" as SMT x FE got.  But with Unreal Engine 4 there should be some nice effects.  Does seem kinda weird that they made all these demons models for their Persona 5 engine only to switch to UE4, but then hopefully they can just export/import the models between engines.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #923 on: January 13, 2017, 03:27:16 AM »
You're going with false equivalences.
Um no, DragonQuest is the perfect example of why what you're saying has no point behind it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
First you say it's not aimed at Japan. But DQ11 is on Switch.
[close]
That's not what I said. You said this confrence wasn't aimd at Japan and thats why they called it a console. That was you talking out of your ass(again I guess only you are able to do that). I said why that doesn't make any sense. Highlighting very Japanese centric titles like DQXI should have disproven that this did'nt have a huge Japanese focus and with that they still called it a console. Which to me seems to indicate that it's a console first and foremost.

Then you say it's an unproven console, when SMT games have been on Nintendo systems for two generations now.
Because it is. It's not out and hasn't sold anything. How is that not unproven? SMT games where on Sony systems for two generations before as well, so what is your point? The series is not tied to Nintendo. Atlus is not tied to Nintendo. Them making a console SMT for the Nintendo Switch does not signfiy anything other then they are making a SMT game for the Switch. It doesn't prove that the Switch is all of a sudden going to get handheld games. Something like Pokemon Main entry which have only ever been handheld games would.

Why would they put it on an "unproven console?" I wonder! Yet they didn't announce it for ps4! Hmmm....Never mind that DQ is DQ. DQ can do whatever it wants!
Why would they announce it coming to PS4 at a Nintendo conference? How many times has a publisher announced a new multi platform game at a System specific conference? Oh wait all the time. And this time there was a clear separation from it being exclusive Switch stuff. You're treating SMT's announcment like it signifys something when all it probably does is signify that SMT is back on consoles and no doubt this will also be on PS4.

The system is a hybrid. Again, console esque games on handhelds has been a thing for over ten years! It means absolutely nothing. Vita has actual ports of console games! You can buy a game on vita and play it on you ps4 if your have the game on ps4 as well. Going by your logic, Vita isn't a handheld either.
Um this isn't my argument. You're argument is that this is something special because it's going to also be supported like a Nintendo a handheld. You're proof is an announcement of SMT. I don't care if it's a hybird. My argument was that regardless of whatever it is, they sure did'nt sell it like a hybird. They sold it like a console, a console that seems to have all the problems of the Wii U, complete with a Wii U esque line-up. SMT doesn't really take away from that.

But since you brought up the Vita. One of it's problems was having a lot of console ports. At least here anyway.

Bomberman is a console game now?
Um yes, thats the only way I know people play it. Also the last few main games have all been on consoles? The last handheld one was on the DSI

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #924 on: January 13, 2017, 03:27:39 AM »
$300 is $50 too high, especially with no games included, Odyssey looks hype but it's not until 'holiday'. Looks like a maybe eventually for me.
Hi

Rahxephon91

« Reply #925 on: January 13, 2017, 03:28:30 AM »

Um Xenoblade was.

Are you trying to argue that because there was a shitty as port of Xenoblade to the NEW 3DS and because SE(which also made an indie esque small jrpg on the PS4/Vita) that their followups being on the Switch proves that the Switch is a merging of handheld and console and thus shouldn't be treated as a console.

That is a huge stretch and no doubt Xenoblade is a primarily console game.

I'm not sure what your point is here. I'm the one who said these series can freely move around, not you.

Look they called it a home console and it's been sold as the with console titles.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:32:43 AM by Rahxephon91 »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #926 on: January 13, 2017, 03:30:36 AM »
REGION FREE? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Ok, I'm sold just because it's the first Nintendo system in forever that I don't have to spend $600+ to own both US & JPN versions just to play import rpgs. 

Xenoblade 2 is cool, and SMT is always good.  Looking forward to it.

Yeah, region-free is a nice return-to-form. Also, neither of the other consoles have it. I'm recalling that everything up to N64 was region-free, and the handhelds were always region free, until 3DS and the digital purchases on DSi.

My kids were not super amused at me buying a US Wii and leaving them unable to play locally purchased Japanese games. :lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #927 on: January 13, 2017, 03:35:27 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/13/shin-megami-tensei-switch-made-unreal-engine-4-3ds-smt-project-works/

Yeah calling it "HD Project" and and having another 3DS SMT game sure make it sound like this isn't supposed to be seen as a home console game...

HD Project hmm sounds like something that Japanese developers typicaly use to denote a console game and look at that it's not called "Switch Project".

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #928 on: January 13, 2017, 03:35:48 AM »
i'll get one for ~200$ in a year and a half

I am a little shocked by the enthusiasm for this here. Outside of Mario and Zelda I do not understand the appeal of this thing at all

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #929 on: January 13, 2017, 03:42:24 AM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #930 on: January 13, 2017, 04:24:29 AM »
Wait you have to use an app on your fuckin phone to voice chat? lmao. Nintendo basically saying "just call your friends" at this point

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #931 on: January 13, 2017, 04:50:16 AM »
So everyone keeps telling me "ALL internal Nintendo devs are consolidating work onto Switch" but to me that sounds insane. They own the market for VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE TOYS FOR CHILDREN WITH GOOD BATTERY LIFE AND FANTASTIC CHILDREN'S GAMES priced at $99-$150.  The Switch is not that and unless it gets a mega hardware refresh where it's smooshed down into a clamshell....no, just no. I still see Switch <> handheld for a long long time, and I doubt there will be a unified platform for Nintendo  :miyamoto

Beezy

« Reply #932 on: January 13, 2017, 04:59:21 AM »
THAT ZELDA TRAILER :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Switch was alright too. I wish it was $250, but I'll still get it at some point anyway.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #933 on: January 13, 2017, 05:10:38 AM »
Wait you have to use an app on your fuckin phone to voice chat? lmao. Nintendo basically saying "just call your friends" at this point

joke? or is for real?

Bebpo

« Reply #934 on: January 13, 2017, 05:12:59 AM »
amazon preorders are up. got mine and zelda!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LTHP2ZK/

zelda regular: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS6MO77/
zelda ce: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N224U9S/

Yup, Nintendo fans are crazy as always.  Sold out already.

Since I don't care about Zelda, I'll pick one up when they finally become 1-click online ordering available.

archie4208

« Reply #935 on: January 13, 2017, 05:43:36 AM »
Just preordered Zelda :lawd

On Wii U :lawd

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #936 on: January 13, 2017, 06:14:44 AM »
Holding out till the end of the year to see if there's any good cuts on Black Friday and how the online will shape up. Zelda may be GOTY but I ain't paying €300+ for just that for a few months.

That Software line up is already fucking monstrous though. By Holiday it should be a well worthy purchase. And I'd imagine there's more to come by E3.

And then in the next few years, No More Heroes 3 :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The translator just giving up when Suda just kept going on :neogaf
[close]

El Babua

« Reply #937 on: January 13, 2017, 06:19:37 AM »
I'll prob buy it when Mario comes out.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #938 on: January 13, 2017, 07:12:08 AM »
amazon preorders are up. got mine and zelda!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LTHP2ZK/

zelda regular: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS6MO77/
zelda ce: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N224U9S/

Yup, Nintendo fans are crazy as always.  Sold out already.

Since I don't care about Zelda, I'll pick one up when they finally become 1-click online ordering available.

Gamestop.com has pre-orders up.  I just got one with no problems.

EDIT: Target has them too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:34:10 AM by bork pls »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #939 on: January 13, 2017, 07:39:01 AM »
Japan launch line-up:

1-2-Switch
Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
I Am Setsuna
Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit
Puyo Puyo Tetris S
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII with Power Up Kit
Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together!
Super Bomberman R
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Tempted to get Dragon Quest Heroes I&II and Puyo Puyo Tetris, even though I already own both on other platforms.  LOL, this system.

BlazBlue also got announced, but no one knows if it's a port or a new game yet.  I'm gonna guess port. 

Ultra SFII thankfully has an option for the original sprites AND backgrounds.  That might actually spark interest in the FGC.
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #940 on: January 13, 2017, 07:50:39 AM »
Ultra SFII thankfully has an option for the original sprites AND backgrounds.  That might actually spark interest in the FGC.

:lol Not when it doesn't have other fighters yet, it won't.

It's gonna die on the vine like Tatsu vs Capcom.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #941 on: January 13, 2017, 07:54:54 AM »
Looks like Best Buy still has pre-orders, too.  Ninty either has a shitload of consoles ready or a lot of people are gonna be on waiting lists...
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #942 on: January 13, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »

???

I'm talking about this game specifically, not the console.

If this port has good added features and/or a perfect version of ST is available on it, people will play it.  We already know arcade sticks are coming, too.
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #943 on: January 13, 2017, 07:58:30 AM »
My birthday now is forever tainted by this POS :maf

Nothing really jumps out to me as a must buy, especially with a $299 price tag, which is what I figured the price point would be.  Mario seems like it would be good as does Zelda but these two games don't warrant paying $410 (system + two games) for.
🍆🍆

Beezy

« Reply #944 on: January 13, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
Zelda's Wii U release date on Amazon is March 31st. Nintendo, you fucking assholes...

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #945 on: January 13, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »

???

I'm talking about this game specifically, not the console.

If this port has good added features and/or a perfect version of ST is available on it, people will play it.  We already know arcade sticks are coming, too.

The FGC is not going to buy a console for one game, especially if they're already paying monthly to play other fighters on another console. :comeon Increasingly, they aren't going to pay $300 + $40 for a sloppy-seconds port of something they already own on a last-gen console. :comeon :comeon

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was the sole-fighter on Wii, and look at how that turned out. People are going with SSF4 3DS port as a counter-point, but that sells (mostly because of FreEshop, IMO) due to portable and other titles on the system to get to where once you're disappointed with how the system mangles the controls for it, you have other things to back-up. But I highly doubt the FGC is playing that super-deep to practice. Especially when Ultra is the "tournament standard" and SF5 is out.

I'm sure there are some die-hard SF2 fans that'll blind-buy it, but I can't see the rest of the community biting. In fact, I feel like most of the community will wait and see while you and a few others hem-and-haw about the balance changes and then declare it "worst. port. evar." like SF2 ports generally go.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #946 on: January 13, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
I'm eating crow! $299.99!

...and what the fuck do you think you're doing with a different avatar and tag? You are my virtual bitch for at least another month, Tasty. Back to windows and pussy lover for you.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #947 on: January 13, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
I hate you nintendo

When? When will you learn? Fucking rubes.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #948 on: January 13, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
The FGC is not going to buy a console for one game, especially if they're already paying monthly to play other fighters on another console. :comeon Increasingly, they aren't going to pay $300 + $40 for a sloppy-seconds port of something they already own on a last-gen console. :comeon :comeon

You're not following me here. 

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was the sole-fighter on Wii, and look at how that turned out.

Featured in major tournaments for a year or two until its "sequel," Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, came out?  :doge

I'm sure there are some die-hard SF2 fans that'll blind-buy it, but I can't see the rest of the community biting. In fact, I feel like most of the community will wait and see while you and a few others hem-and-haw about the balance changes and then declare it "worst. port. evar." like SF2 ports generally go.

"Die-hard SF2 fans" are exactly who I'm talking about.  :lol

Why are you lumping me in with those guys?  :lol  I liked HD Remix and was glad to see a re-balanced version of the game.  It was disappointing seeing the FGC reject it.
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #949 on: January 13, 2017, 08:36:19 AM »
Man, I wonder if I'll ever buy a Nintendo console again

Maybe SNES classic

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #950 on: January 13, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Zelda's Wii U release date on Amazon is March 31st. Nintendo, you fucking assholes...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/819772453207449600
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #951 on: January 13, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »
Man, I wonder if I'll ever buy a Nintendo console again

Maybe SNES classic

Nintendo working hard to save you money
:rejoice
ど助平

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #952 on: January 13, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »
Fucking shit, Wii u's are 300 bucks on Amazon. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. This thing should not cost more than 150.

And you guys seriously think they're gonna launch Switch for less than $299.

:neogaf

If Nintendo is going to combine their two hardware businesses (home console and portable) I can see them charging more than $300. 

I can also see them charging $99 for an additional TV dock and $79 optional controllers.

....huh.
rub

Tasty

« Reply #953 on: January 13, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »
Lol was gonna switch (:teehee) my avatar/tag over today anyways so thanks to whoever did it for me.

Laziness :rejoice

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #954 on: January 13, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »
Lol was gonna switch (:teehee) my avatar/tag over today anyways so thanks to whoever did it for me.

I was gonna make your tag "Human Snorenado's Bitch" or "Street Fighter V Enthusiast," but he wanted Pussy Lover.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #955 on: January 13, 2017, 08:56:41 AM »
REGION FREE? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Ok, I'm sold just because it's the first Nintendo system in forever that I don't have to spend $600+ to own both US & JPN versions just to play import rpgs. 

Yeah, region-free is a nice return-to-form. Also, neither of the other consoles have it. I'm recalling that everything up to N64 was region-free, and the handhelds were always region free, until 3DS and the digital purchases on DSi.

My kids were not super amused at me buying a US Wii and leaving them unable to play locally purchased Japanese games. :lol

NES/FC, SNES/SFC, and N64 were all region restricted (cartridge shapes for the former two and a lockout chip in the latter.)

The only region-free Nintendo systems are as follows:

- Game Boy
- Virtual Boy
- Game Boy Color
- Game Boy Advance
- Nintendo DS
- Nintendo Switch

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #956 on: January 13, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
I will now say nice things about this turd:

It looks better than Wii U, and I'll probably get one for Zelda and Mario Odyssey alone. But not until Mario launches later this year. No reason to.

That said, this thing will be a failure. Not a Wii U level failure, but a failure.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #957 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »

I was gonna make your tag "Human Snorenado's Bitch" or "Street Fighter V Enthusiast," but he wanted Pussy Lover.  :doge

It's really not as bad as it could have been. Already went 16 days with this without caring lol.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #958 on: January 13, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »

NES/FC, SNES/SFC, and N64 were all region restricted (cartridge shapes for the former two and a lockout chip in the latter.)

The only region-free Nintendo systems are as follows:

- Game Boy
- Virtual Boy
- Game Boy Color
- Game Boy Advance
- Nintendo DS
- Nintendo Switch

SNES is region-free.  You just rip out the dumb tabs on the side of the system and Japanese carts fit right in.  N64 also had something similar.  We used to charge people to "mod" their N64s back in my game shop days so they could play imports during those months when the system had literally nothing new.  :doge

The actual region-locking started with the Game Cube and continued with the Wii and Wii U. 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #959 on: January 13, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
That's still region locking, though. However stupidly easy it was to bypass. Also to use PAL carts you need a hardware mod.

While physical modification of the cases (either console or cartridges) is needed to play games from the different regions, in order to play games of different TV systems, a hardware modification is also needed. Regional-locks could be bypassed using special unlicensed cartridge adapters such as Game Genie.

The NES also had the 10NES chip for locking between NTSC and two PAL regions.