Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 943879 times)

Himu

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #11880 on: September 28, 2022, 05:03:48 PM »
The graphics are the only great thing about WW. It is a Final Fantasy IX esque jump the shark entry whose main rise in becoming more popular on the internet has been its presentation and whimsical nature rather than anything of true substance.

ff9 had way more substance than the games immediately preceding and following, it had the full set of equipment you could mix and match instead of literally just weapon + accessory or worse

tons of passive and active abilities, and tying them directly to characters (rather than materia bundles you slot into generic people) meant making more tactical choices in how you comprise your party, and allowed the devs to design challenges within the storyline based on which characters they limited you to using

also let you have four party members instead of the three in 7, 8 and 10, which gives you a broader toolset to work with moment to moment

outside of the MMOs and ff12, it was the last ff game with substance to the tactics and mechanics

Hard disagree.

FFIX has insane load times and battle speed due to the four party set up. On original hardware is virtually unplayable. To make up for the fact they reduced the party to four to three members the other 3D FF games reduced the enemy count. FFIX despite having four character party didn't so the battles are actually *easier* overall than even VII and VIII which were already easy. Four character battles are not balanced in IX and just make the battles more sluggish.

The AP system is barebones and there's no choice in the gameplay. A franchise famed for customization in a game that claims to be return to its roots with almost zero choice. It's basically Final Fantasy IV with less interesting gameplay  and dungeon design. At least IV has Tower of Zot. IX has nest ideas like the accessory/weapon system but it never reaches its true potential. Early on you can get a weapon/armor that's weaker while learning new abilities so you have to choose but this rarely ever happens and the process of acquiring abilities is fairly linear.

Story-wise the game trips over itself to reference the entire series without saying anything remotely new. It is saved by Vivi (and arguably Steiner). Zidane stands as one of the worst main characters in the franchise. A muppet with a consent and sexual harassment problem. Freya, Quina, Amarant, Eiko are wasted.

Every Final Fantasy stood on its own until FFIX. FFIX, a game obsessed with identity, questions the franchises identity and what Final Fantasy really means. The post-FFX FF identity crisis of "what does FF mean?" starts with IX. Fitting as it was a game not made by the main FF team. Each FF looked forward to the future with its own vision. By focusing on identity and pushing as much nostalgia as possible, FFIX is mired in the past and offers practically nothing new to the franchise. Despite the fact that FFIX tries to skirt along with FF tradition and references it eschews the greatest FF tradition of all: forward thinking, experimental design, customization. It takes a franchise renown for pushing boundaries of the genre (a character that tries to kill herself in FFVI? The World of Ruin in VI is a revelation. FFVII stars a group of literal terrorists and you're arguably just as bad as the bad guys, FFIV's ATB was revolutionary, FFV's job system was perfection - nothing is perfect in IX;etc.) and instead coasts in relative safety with endless tropes.

It's a good game in part of its charm and whimsy but by far and beyond FF's jump the shark moment, with Final Fantasy X being FF's true swan song.

By the same token, Wind Waker is similar. A jump the shark moment that is whimsical, looks great but has none of the depth, none of the substance of previous games. A game steeped its own bullshit. Good looking bullshit, but BS none the less.

Thankfully BOTW and Link Between World's are a thing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 05:18:32 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11881 on: September 28, 2022, 06:46:36 PM »
ff9 running poorly due to overambition has no impact on whether the game has substance, interesting tactical choices, and a breadth of options that were missing in ff7 and 8

additionally at the time I played ff9 I had not played a fraction of games that came before it and it remains a favorite even without getting any of the references, which seems to be a common sentiment online too, I don't think it being referential has much to do with why it's beloved

its references generally don't amount to more than names, all the characters are wildly different from similarly named people in past games, like garland or cid. it fully tells its own new story. the tragedy of the black mages, the tragedy of burmecia and cleyra

I also don't see how you can claim that it's especially egregious when all the surrounding ffs do just as much referencing, things like ff7's stage play you can screw up at the gold saucer just like in ff6, numerous weapon and item and monster and attack names, etc etc

wind waker's biggest sin is gutting the number of dungeons, which I think is pretty well documented as development limitations/running out of time, but that's a massive step backward for the zelda franchise. there's no such issue with ff9, it gives you everything you could ever want from an ff game and more

right down to the music having the best set of leitmotifs out of any ff, including merging several character themes harmoniously which I'm not sure had ever been pulled off before
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #11882 on: September 28, 2022, 08:57:34 PM »
FFIX imo lacks options so much you can't even save your limit break for later. I'm not sure what options your referring to besides maybe Steiner and Vivi magic sword combos.

I guess the characters have higher utility because they're not passports for creating your own roles but that's about it for me. I never saw much advantage in having a party outside of Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, Steiner because it hits all areas.

FFIX has similarly paltry dungeons like FFVII's. FFVIII took VII's and had actual good dungeons (Sea Lab, Ragnarok, Lunatic Pandora, Ultimecia's Castle, the tomb where you get Brothers;etc. FFIX has no such thing.

FFVII's play isn't much of a reference. It's not just references but reusing entire storylines from making Zidane a boy with a tail that forgets his mission to destroy the planet (straight rip off of Dragon Ball) to the use of clones (FFVII technically because they're not clones but puppets but the English translation has them as clones). This is a problem because modern FF is steeped with references when FF used to be self contained. FFXIV full on Magitek. That was once an FFVI exclusive thing. FFXII has Espers as well as Magicicite, also that's exclusively FFVI at one point. A franchise that had self contained worlds with endless creativity is now a reference factory and it all started with some jump the shark game called FFIX.

I don't think FFIX rates very highly for me. Of the first ten Final Fantasy games I rate it the lowest. It promises a return to its roots but doesn't eclipse the best the series has to offer in terms of gameplay (I, III, V, VI, Tactics, VIII, X international), but doesn't even sniff at the best the franchise has to offer story-wise at that point either (IV, VI, Tactics, VII, X). It kind of excels at nothing. It's just a good game. The first average FF.

Despite my FF fanhood I've only managed to beat it only twice. I've beaten I-VIII, X, XII, and Tactics multiple times across multiple systems. I thought it was great when it came out. I was obsessed with it and find it a really fun game. That's all it really needs to be. But damn does it have issues that later plague the franchise.

What sucks most is that before reveal the GIA had those pics of FFIX with possible job system and the final game had none of that. Shame. What makes FFIX's mediocrity stand out even more is the competition. It's not even the best Square RPG of that year. Chrono Cross, Front Mission 3, and Vagrant Story savage it. That's without mentioning outside the company. I remember back in the day at release it was the first time I ever recall more people talking about a non square RPG than the latest FF in Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II which came out around the same time. Even its main competition, Legend of Dragoon, was a much better and memorable game that does unique things (that battle system :whew).

Psx era Square is typified by the experimental. Xenogears, FFVII, FFVIII, Chrono Cross, SaGa Frontier, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story...hell even Eirghez was different. I had never played a fighting game with such interesting environmental gameplay. And then there's Final Fantasy IX. The most conservative, boring game in the developers catalogue on that system. Definitely a jump the shark moment. Thank God FFX saved us a year later.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:03:10 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11883 on: October 01, 2022, 12:52:06 PM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #11884 on: October 01, 2022, 01:22:04 PM »
:larry possibly the perfect size for my hands :aah (and pocketability)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11886 on: October 02, 2022, 02:19:31 PM »
Just play it on your Vita and/or Steam Deck instead.  ;)
©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11887 on: October 02, 2022, 02:28:55 PM »
Can't wait for Castlevania 64 on Switch.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #11888 on: October 02, 2022, 04:14:42 PM »
RIP Switch Pro Controller - September 2017 to December 2020

The left stick drifted so bad that I could not run a straight line in Mario 64 or Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity.

Got a new pro controller ordered but it was getting very bad towards the end. I’m not someone who abuses controllers too.

RIP Second Switch Pro Controller - December 2020 to October 2022

Fortunately I have a couple spares on hand. The left stick drift rears its ugly head again. I’m not going to bother fixing it this time, the last time was a waste as it got me maybe a few weeks extension at most.
🍆🍆

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #11889 on: October 02, 2022, 06:07:10 PM »
Its October where is the Switch pro that was confirmed to be announced in September

The left stick drifted so bad that I could not run a straight line in Mario 64 or Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity.

Got a new pro controller ordered but it was getting very bad towards the end. I’m not someone who abuses controllers too.

Fortunately I have a couple spares on hand. The left stick drift rears its ugly head again. I’m not going to bother fixing it this time, the last time was a waste as it got me maybe a few weeks extension at most.

Just use the electric spray thing. My 2017 joycons still work fine, just need a spray every few months
:O

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #11890 on: October 02, 2022, 06:44:58 PM »

I sent all my joy cons to Nintendo to be repaired more than a year ago and they are still going fine.

I never bothered with a pro controller. Went with the 8bitdo Pro2. Have three of them and they are great. My kids treat them like shit too.
Spud

Svejk

« Reply #11891 on: October 04, 2022, 11:23:45 AM »
New Nindento Direct in 2 days!  :gladbron

spoiler (click to show/hide)
For the Mario Movie!  :neogaf :goty :nope :miyamoto

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1577297501408968706
Love how they specified that no game info will be present.  :lol
[close]

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #11892 on: October 04, 2022, 12:45:37 PM »
Does Mario fuck in this movie? :mario
Margs

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #11893 on: October 04, 2022, 01:39:06 PM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 09:39:16 PM by team filler »

Svejk

« Reply #11894 on: October 04, 2022, 08:43:42 PM »
As long as Pratt does his iconic "YAHOOOOOOO!!" and "MAMA MIA!!"
Then blows a rope on Bowser's face and says, "SO LONG, GAY BOWSER!!"
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #11895 on: October 04, 2022, 09:18:57 PM »
As long as Pratt does his iconic "YAHOOOOOOO!!" and "MAMA MIA!!"

Then blows a rope on Bowser's face and says, "SO LONG, GAY BOWSER!!"

james

« Reply #11896 on: October 04, 2022, 11:02:54 PM »
Got an early screener from my uncle who works at Nintendo.

Cant say much, but Chris Pratt was a bad casting choice. Also, the toad voices get really grating, although at one point thats played up for comedy (Luigi yells at them to shut up). Theres a few too many current pop reference jokes that will be stale quickly. The pot-shot at Musk was funny though.

Also theyre still debating if Yoshi should be animated with dong or not. It might be edited out of the final cut.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11897 on: October 04, 2022, 11:08:15 PM »

Cant say much, but Chris Pratt was a bad casting choice. Also, the toad voices get really grating, although at one point thats played up for comedy (Luigi yells at them to shut up). Theres a few too many current pop reference jokes that will be stale quickly. The pot-shot at Musk was funny though.

Also theyre still debating if Yoshi should be animated with dong or not. It might be edited out of the final cut.

ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #11898 on: October 05, 2022, 07:39:57 AM »

#SonicHumanFaceGate all over again.   :existential

There's actually a viral pic going around of a potential leak of how Mario looks.  If legit, it's borderline person wearing a mascot suit.    :lol  :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #11899 on: October 05, 2022, 11:02:45 AM »
#ReleaseTheButtholeCut
©@©™

james

« Reply #11900 on: October 05, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »

There's actually a viral pic going around of a potential leak of how Mario looks.  If legit, it's borderline person wearing a mascot suit.    :lol  :doge

Dont get too excited, Yoshis dong is more like a cat dong and not a horse dong.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #11901 on: October 05, 2022, 11:46:00 AM »

Dont get too excited, Yoshis dong is more like a cat dong and not a horse dong.

Life is suffering  :stahp
Margs

james

« Reply #11902 on: October 05, 2022, 12:16:03 PM »
You guys ever see a horse piss? its impossible not to stare in awe

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11903 on: October 05, 2022, 03:00:54 PM »
wait where do the eggs come from then
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11904 on: October 05, 2022, 03:01:57 PM »
Uncle

james

« Reply #11905 on: October 05, 2022, 05:07:32 PM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 05:18:53 PM by james »

Tasty

« Reply #11906 on: October 05, 2022, 05:13:47 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Side note: no one's commented on Mario literally donkey-punching Yoshi to manipulate his sexy tongue.

Svejk

« Reply #11907 on: October 06, 2022, 07:58:11 AM »

Side note: no one's commented on Mario literally donkey-punching Yoshi to manipulate his sexy tongue.
Now is that Yoshi's tongue, or is that Mario extending through Yoshi?  :thinking

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11908 on: October 06, 2022, 01:21:58 PM »

Another positive review of these things.  Better buttons :lawd
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11909 on: October 06, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »
Nier Automata is pretty impressive on Switch- runs at a higher resolution docked than the PS4 version did and runs really nicely.  It is 30 FPS and missing some detail, however.  Definitely one of the better ports out there.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11910 on: October 06, 2022, 01:44:19 PM »
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #11911 on: October 06, 2022, 04:15:13 PM »
Yeah.. Pratt's voice for Mario does not fit.  :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #11912 on: October 06, 2022, 05:00:26 PM »
What a miscast.

Im sure the movie will do great, but I dont need to see a talking mario with Chris Pratt.

Jesus Ryan Reynolds would have been better
What

Svejk

« Reply #11913 on: October 06, 2022, 05:27:27 PM »
What a miscast.

Im sure the movie will do great, but I dont need to see a talking mario with Chris Pratt.

Jesus Ryan Reynolds would have been better
Hell, Jack Black doing his Nacho Libre voice would've fit better.  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11914 on: October 06, 2022, 06:11:19 PM »
Yeah.. Pratt's voice for Mario does not fit.  :lol

Yeah, seems off.  But it doesn't matter.  This is for the kids
(and ResetEra)
[close]
, not us.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11915 on: October 06, 2022, 06:19:23 PM »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11916 on: October 06, 2022, 06:28:13 PM »
They did very little to edit the voice, it's basically just Chris Pratt.
Jack Black is a good fit for Bowser as expected.

CG looks stellar, the Mario model looks better in motion than it does in stills.
So far not seeing anything special beyond the IP but not bad for a first trailer.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #11917 on: October 06, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »
Thank goodness they went full CG and not live action like Sawnik did.  :yuck

Tasty

« Reply #11918 on: October 06, 2022, 08:16:18 PM »

Now is that Yoshi's tongue, or is that Mario extending through Yoshi?  :thinking

:nsfw https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/330027 :nsfw

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11919 on: October 06, 2022, 09:48:17 PM »

:bow :bow2
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #11920 on: October 06, 2022, 09:55:01 PM »
©@©™

james

james

« Reply #11922 on: October 07, 2022, 04:06:35 PM »
If I didnt own a Switch, this alone would get me to buy one

Svejk

« Reply #11923 on: October 07, 2022, 04:44:17 PM »
PilotWings music  :lawd

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #11924 on: October 07, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »
Rodin?????
What

james

« Reply #11925 on: October 13, 2022, 12:28:38 AM »
I can finally shoot missiles at nyc again

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11926 on: October 13, 2022, 02:20:11 PM »
Got the Hori Split Pad Compact (the Japanese name says "Grip Controller Fit").  Pretty nice!  They feel better than the Split Pad Pro, IMO, although it's definitely going to boil down to preference and hand size.  The buttons and sticks feel a bit better to me.  Despite the name, these are still a fair bit larger than the Joy Cons, though.  Larger than I expected- just not as large as the Pro version.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11927 on: October 13, 2022, 03:36:32 PM »

Bayonetta goes multiverse- more than one of her (and Jeanne too?) shown.

Did the original character from the first two games get killed off right in the beginning?  :o
[close]

:thinking

The trailer ends with what appears to be either a separate mode or a level with 2.5D game play and some stealth elements (?) where you play as Jeanne.  Hype!
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #11928 on: October 13, 2022, 04:09:27 PM »

First game had time travel shenanigans (never played it).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11929 on: October 13, 2022, 05:14:17 PM »

First game had time travel shenanigans (never played it).

Yes- so does the second game.  Both are really like one big story and time loop!
:bow Bayo :bow2
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #11930 on: October 13, 2022, 11:25:29 PM »
I keep forgetting about this game, but I'll most likely drop everything else that I'm playing once my copy is delivered.

Bebpo

« Reply #11931 on: October 13, 2022, 11:34:09 PM »
I just wonder if it'll be a good game. Was very mixed on Bayo 2. But Bayo 2 wasn't Kamiya and I think this one is?

If it's good I'll get on it pretty quick.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11932 on: October 17, 2022, 07:34:19 AM »
I just wonder if it'll be a good game. Was very mixed on Bayo 2. But Bayo 2 wasn't Kamiya and I think this one is?

If it's good I'll get on it pretty quick.

No, but this game has a different director and producer than Bayonetta 2 did.  Kamiya is listed as "Executive Director" for Bayo 3.
ど助平

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #11933 on: October 19, 2022, 08:31:58 PM »
Mario XCOM sequel
Persona 5 Royale with Cheese
Bayonetta 3

All in the span of two weeks

:rejoice

Will probably get the physical copy of Automata at some point too.
OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #11934 on: October 20, 2022, 05:21:37 AM »
I wanna get p5 for switch but its free on Gamepass  :-[
What

Bebpo

« Reply #11935 on: October 25, 2022, 01:05:24 PM »
Bayo3 reviews are good, lotta 8.5s and 9s, will give it a play.

Although I'm gonna lol at Destructoid's review where they say it's worse than Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 and still give it a 10  ::)
For me Bayonetta 1 is like a 9.5 and Bayonetta 2 is like an 8 (maybe it's a 9 if you skip all cutscenes).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11936 on: October 25, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »
Bayo3 reviews are good, lotta 8.5s and 9s, will give it a play.

Nintendo Life gave Bayo 3 a 10 out of 10.  :o

But I don't need reviews for this (unless the game was complete shit) anyway. 

Although I'm gonna lol at Destructoid's review where they say it's worse than Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 and still give it a 10  ::)

:mindblown  :judgement :mindblown

For me Bayonetta 1 is like a 9.5 and Bayonetta 2 is like an 8 (maybe it's a 9 if you skip all cutscenes).

For me the first game is a 10 and the second is 8.5 or 9.  I'm hoping that the 3 is back up there with 1.  It certainly seems insane enough.
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11937 on: October 25, 2022, 02:43:29 PM »
it sounds like bayo 3 is gonna be a social media clusterfuck and people are big mad already

I have like third hand information on this so it could be all wrong but major spoilers maybe? for what the clusterfuck is?

think twice if you want to play it blind
bayo has been some form of queer/empowered-leaning representation from the beginning and it sounds like she ends up...hetero
[close]
[close]
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11938 on: October 25, 2022, 02:52:27 PM »
it sounds like bayo 3 is gonna be a social media clusterfuck and people are big mad already

I have like third hand information on this so it could be all wrong but major spoilers maybe? for what the clusterfuck is?

think twice if you want to play it blind
bayo has been some form of queer/empowered-leaning representation from the beginning and it sounds like she ends up...hetero
[close]
[close]

No.  Well...kinda?

The big piece of info, which I think is kinda obvious, from the ending is that:

Potential actual spoiler
Possibly bullshit but makes a lot of sense
Viola is Luka and Bayonetta's kid. 

Bayonetta hooks up with Luka at the end of the game.  However, this is not the same Bayonetta as the main character and is one from another universe.
[close]
[close]

There's also some speculation that the big-bad
is a male version of Bayonetta
[close]
, but this hasn't been confirmed.

I'm also not sure if this is confirmed or not yet, but IIRC it's pretty much a certainty that in Bayonetta 3 you are playing as a grown-up Cereza.  While that is Bayonetta, it's the version of her that was pulled into the present as a little girl and then sent back in time after the events of the first game, so this technically may be another character.

:dizzy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 03:23:56 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11939 on: October 25, 2022, 03:21:53 PM »
Supposedly Bayonetta 3 is like "Bayonetta Smash Ultimate"

Where tons of old enemies, summons, and weapons from the first two games all end up becoming available to use and/or fight against.
[close]

Pretty crazy shit if true.
ど助平