Author Topic: This US election, white people, and the aftermath  (Read 14966 times)

Esch

• burnt chocolate / dirty cake
Re: This US election, white people, and the aftermath
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
Wypipo have spoken. All the waffling i've been doing over the last 16 months about leaving here forever is over, i guess. They just don't want people like me here.

Time to #amerexit.
Will you be needing a personal accountant/butler?

When i become a plutocrat off the success of my app and run for president after sexually assaulting a few women i'll let you know.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »
Can you let me know too?  I'd like a cabinet position. 
NtGay

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2016, 11:14:35 AM »
Wypipo have spoken. All the waffling i've been doing over the last 16 months about leaving here forever is over, i guess. They just don't want people like me here.

Time to #amerexit.
Will you be needing a personal accountant/butler?

Be Benson brehs  :doge

Kara

• Creature — Fish Octopus Crab
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
I'm not one to pass on the opportunity to kick down le Boche and while all of what you say is true (on top of the fact that "denazification" was first engaged at the behest of the foreign occupying powers, in the same half assed manner to my understanding as it was not practical to break Germany beyond a certain point) I don't think one can deny that the WW2 aftermath did force some European self-reflection on those matters and led to a strong backlash against some casual racism that was a fact of life (mostly antisemitism, colonization didn't die overnight even if ultimately it was brought down by the same apparent "revealed" contradictions), though it unfortunately seems that this pushback is  relying on how strong the memories of shame and trauma are, and those will fade out with time.

All that to say that I don't think the point QoI made was without merit : there's definitely an American specificity to how institutionalized racism played out compared to Europe. Even if it was only Europeans affecting to not be as blatant about it in their mainland and their core expressed values.

In America racist symbols are generally allowed de jure.

In Germany some racist symbols aren't allowed. In Germany you also have the NSU-Morde going unsolved for far too long (and the BfV destroying evidence it had on the neo-Nazis responsible for those murders after the neo-Nazi element came to light), the approximately equal surveillance of Die Linke and neo-Nazi political parties, or the V-Mann program making it difficult if not impossible to meaningfully shut down neo-Nazi political parties.

Americans have, continue to, and possibly always will, engage in denial about their history of racism (in both the public and quasi-public spheres) which is infuriating to anyone possessing a shred of familiarity with the history of those things.

Europeans (not just Germans) pay lip service to their crimes of the 20th Century after their continent was ethnically cleansed of the group that they tortured, repressed, and murdered for centuries. I commend them for closing the barn door after it had been left open overnight. For a week.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
Now seems like a good time to read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.
©@©™

benjipwns

• I suggest you educate yourself on this matter.
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
Now seems like a good time to read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.
It's got the same ending.
salad

Cindi Mayweather

• Like the smallest pebble that sinks to the depths of the water, I make waves
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »
I'm at the stage of anger.
幻想水滸伝

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
I looked at the district map for Texas last night. It was blue on the west side of the peninsula, and each of the four major cities. The cities just looked... surrounded.

I know you want to head for California, but maybe you could consider Canada? From what my friends tell me, black people are treated there the way we pretend they're treated in the USA.

It's hard to advise for abdication, but Texas looks like shithead central to me today. I hope you can live the life you deserve.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
I always recommend New Mexico too. Nice folks in a blue state plus excellent tacos and green chile!

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
I refuse to let go of my ambitions despite this election. California is still the goal. Canada has gatekeepers for the animation industry as they are one of the best creators for the field and are very protective of it and since I'm doing an alternative route to get into the industry Canada isn't the answer. In the past, I would have loved to look into looking abroad but I've settled that I want to stay and fight instead while achieving my career goals.
幻想水滸伝

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2016, 09:29:03 PM »
Oklahoma voted for Trump 65-29. :goty
dog

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »
I always recommend New Mexico too. Nice folks in a blue state plus excellent tacos and green chile!

I might consider this. There is an atelier in classical painting and drawing in Santa Fe. They seem legit as well. I'm not sure what contacts they have with the industry tho.
幻想水滸伝

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2016, 09:55:44 PM »
I looked at the district map for Texas last night. It was blue on the west side of the peninsula, and each of the four major cities. The cities just looked... surrounded.

Texas cities are really diverse, for sure: Houston is less than 50% white, San Antonio is more than 60% hispanic, Dallas is less than 50% white, Austin his a larger white population but is really liberal, El Paso is more than 80% hispanic. Houston and Dallas both have large Muslims communities. Recently, there's been a huge expansion of Asian businesses in north Dallas, from my own experience.

Once you're out of the cities, though, it's definitely CAC Town, though.
dog

Dufus

• Like Me Baby One More Time

mormapope

• Do what you can.
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
Faith

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2016, 08:46:20 AM »
Hi

« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2016, 09:43:10 AM »

Norman, stop pretending to be Democrats.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »

In 2012, it went 67-33 for Romney. Damn you, Gary Johnson!
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
I might consider this. There is an atelier in classical painting and drawing in Santa Fe. They seem legit as well. I'm not sure what contacts they have with the industry tho.
Santa Fe is a great city for artists of all kinds. I'm about an hour south in Albuquerque but if you ever feel like checking out the state you're welcome here :)

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
From the gaf thread where Fistful admits he had a blind spot on the rust belt and concentrated too much on social issues and Trump's awfulness:

It was a blind spot for me too. I've never really been to the rust belt. I've been to the country plenty of times - I'm from Texas so of course - but it's hard for me to reconcile it because that way of life is so foreign to me. I don't know anyone in the country and all the people I know from the country don't live in the country because there's better opportunities in the city. I have lived in a bubble and didn't recognize that the fact people have to move to cities is partly part of the problem. You shouldn't have to have your way of life die out because of the absence of the very political policy that promises to assist all of us. It's a hard pill to swallow...but I get it now. David Wong was right. Thisismyusername was right too. Dems and Republicans fucked up. When you see someone like Trump willing to topple over both establishments and your way of life is crumbling and you can't find a fucking job, you're gonna want to cry out for help. I know that for all my criticisms of Hillary and even Obama, I've been willing to look away because they will help *me* but I've unfortunately lived life without the self awareness that people may have legitimate grievance. More than anything, we need someone to help out rural and middle America and not on empty promises and not in a manner that affects the environment in a negative way (i.e. bringing back coal).

I've said on here and on gaf that white people are racist, but it's ultimately an amalgamation of my fear, of my hurt, of my pain. It could have been potentially harmful and destructive and I just didn't give a shit.

So in that way, I can see where they're coming from. I know personally that when you're in pain, you go swinging no matter where it lands and no matter who it hurts. It's a very human quality. I have had so much anger the past few years since Ferguson that I have not aired pubicly until it ballooned into what it is now. After the election I let it out in a reasonable, not angry way to people I know in real life, and my fear and distrust of white people and I've gotten support from all manners of people and backgrounds. It has forced me to reconsider my position and realize that my words were not skillful and caused nothing but harm.

I am locking this thread because it was harmful and contains some of the harshest emotions I have ever felt. It shouldn't have been made in the first place and I apologize.
幻想水滸伝