Author Topic: This US election, white people, and the aftermath  (Read 43471 times)

fizzel

Re: This US election, white people, and the aftermath
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »
France is next.

Bebpo

« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
Ah more like fuck Americans.  Also black turn out seems to be low.

Which is crazy considering the alternative is letting the KKK candidate win.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
And crazy because Hilary has done a lot for black communities. 

Himu

« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »

In a lot of the states so far, voter suppression is a thing. Especially the carolinas.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2016, 10:45:13 PM »
France is next.

Things are shaping up for a second round between the conservatives and the far right, and worse possibly Sarkozy - Le Pen. Probably not great either way, even with a less horrible candidate than Sarkozy.

Cannot rule out, if things continue that way, that France may have a Frexit moment too.

A Trump victory would embolden the far right in Europe and I would expect some possible massive breaks in the alliance and defence setup, if only because US leadership will suffer.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »
France is next.

It's true though.  Just as the world was starting to become more social progressive, we're hitting a time where everyone's getting scared and regressing.  I blame the rise of visible terrorism, the falling world economy post 2008 (thanks USA) and I seriously blame the goddamn internet.  The internet has enabled the uneducated to join meme machine bandwagons and reiterate lies and deteriorated actual truth in the world.  The fact a huge online side of trump supporters are reddit/gamergate types (aka enabled white manchildren) is disgusting.  The spread of available knowledge with the internet should have lead to a more progressive world.  Instead we have reddit. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2016, 10:51:22 PM »

In a lot of the states so far, voter suppression is a thing. Especially the carolinas.

NC GOP sent out a release crowing about how black early voting was down and white early voting was up. :comeon
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2016, 10:58:20 PM »
The worst part of this isn't even the presidency.  I can live with 4 shitty years of Trump as long as he doesn't launch any nukes and start WW3 (even though he's gonna end up repealing Obamacare and get rid of pre-existing condition lockouts which will effect me directly and could possibly kill me),

But the Supreme Court picks are going to swing the SC red for decades and totally fuck the USA.  Worst thing is Obama should've gotten his replacement locked in.  It was bullshit that they stalled it.

I know it's retrospect and all at this point, but the pure antagonizing hate towards Obama for 8 years from the right should've been a flag that the right are pissed and gonna come out in droves one of these days.  For a follow up to Obama, Dems really should've played it straight with a normal white guy and let the hate on the right simmer down for a period before trying to run a woman or minority sadly.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2016, 10:58:50 PM »
Darkest timeline confirmed

Whitest timeline?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2016, 11:01:11 PM »
dog

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2016, 11:16:03 PM »
firmly on the fuck cacs train now

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2016, 11:22:55 PM »
One thing I've noticed from lots of white people on both sides of the aisle is they find it very hard to accept that black people can hate white people for treating them like human garbage for years while simultaneously finding the fact that lots of white people hate black people because of the color of their skin not too difficult.

I wonder why that is  :doge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2016, 11:43:05 PM »
Germany? After WWII Germany made it illegal to have a Nazi uniform or flag. America allowed confederate flags to still exist under the guise of "freedom" despite being a symbol of racism. Germany? Germany went into thorough attempts to educate a new generation so nazi-Ism is uniformly seen as a gross injustice and platform to partake in. America? we gloss over the harsh realities of the past that minorities faced (even the Irish!). Germany paid reparations to Jewish people while white Americans recoil at the mere thought despite it being justified.

Please don't airbrush the utter failure of the FRG to engage in meaningful Denazification.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2016, 11:46:54 PM »
lol you done fucked up, wtf losers

Himu

« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
Welp
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2016, 11:58:41 PM »
I seriously cant believe it

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2016, 12:00:39 AM »
nm you were completely right

Yulwei

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2016, 12:19:04 AM »
dog

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2016, 12:24:14 AM »
France is next.

It's true though.  Just as the world was starting to become more social progressive, we're hitting a time where everyone's getting scared and regressing.  I blame the rise of visible terrorism, the falling world economy post 2008 (thanks USA) and I seriously blame the goddamn internet.  The internet has enabled the uneducated to join meme machine bandwagons and reiterate lies and deteriorated actual truth in the world.  The fact a huge online side of trump supporters are reddit/gamergate types (aka enabled white manchildren) is disgusting.  The spread of available knowledge with the internet should have lead to a more progressive world.  Instead we have reddit.

Fuck it, I'll take it further than that. Since we can have everything in a single click on the Internet, what's considered news these days has turned to bite sized clickbait shit, including broadcast TV. TV news has to keep up with all the eyeballs of the Internet, so the lowest common denominator of information along with a 3 second factoid completely devoid of research passes for news.

Not that network news' pursuit of ratings is anything new, but it just seems more brazen.
rub

Himu

« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2016, 12:40:30 AM »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2016, 12:43:19 AM »
We're gonna be alright.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »
Wypipo have spoken. All the waffling i've been doing over the last 16 months about leaving here forever is over, i guess. They just don't want people like me here.

Time to #amerexit.
Will you be needing a personal accountant/butler?

Dennis

« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2016, 02:02:22 AM »
The "fuck white people" mentality turned out white people in droves to vote for Trump so good job I guess.

It is a cancerous mindset and now America has cancer.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:36 AM »
I read this post/thread this morning and I had this :smug smarmy reply I was gonna post but now? Let the hate flow freely tbh
QED

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2016, 02:14:49 AM »
Also, fuck 2017 thru 2020
QED

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2016, 02:33:01 AM »
The "fuck white people" mentality turned out white people in droves to vote for Trump so good job I guess.

Just to show how ludicrous 2016 has been, Dennis thinks he can argue words hurt and no one will call him out on his bullshit.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2016, 02:43:26 AM »
Can I get a "fuck America," people?
serge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2016, 02:55:29 AM »

Brexit 2.0

helios

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2016, 04:44:48 AM »
Darkest timeline confirmed

Whitest timeline?

This is the Whitest timeline now.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2016, 04:50:54 AM »
More like White Supremacist timeline.
Hi

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2016, 06:56:18 AM »

Man, I hate this 4KDennis gimmick

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2016, 07:08:53 AM »
Germany? After WWII Germany made it illegal to have a Nazi uniform or flag. America allowed confederate flags to still exist under the guise of "freedom" despite being a symbol of racism. Germany? Germany went into thorough attempts to educate a new generation so nazi-Ism is uniformly seen as a gross injustice and platform to partake in. America? we gloss over the harsh realities of the past that minorities faced (even the Irish!). Germany paid reparations to Jewish people while white Americans recoil at the mere thought despite it being justified.

Please don't airbrush the utter failure of the FRG to engage in meaningful Denazification.
I was too tired to "actually" this yesterday. Good to know you're here to pick up the slack. :heart

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »
I'm not one to pass on the opportunity to kick down le Boche and while all of what you say is true (on top of the fact that "denazification" was first engaged at the behest of the foreign occupying powers, in the same half assed manner to my understanding as it was not practical to break Germany beyond a certain point) I don't think one can deny that the WW2 aftermath did force some European self-reflection on those matters and led to a strong backlash against some casual racism that was a fact of life (mostly antisemitism, colonization didn't die overnight even if ultimately it was brought down by the same apparent "revealed" contradictions), though it unfortunately seems that this pushback is  relying on how strong the memories of shame and trauma are, and those will fade out with time.

All that to say that I don't think the point QoI made was without merit : there's definitely an American specificity to how institutionalized racism played out compared to Europe. Even if it was only Europeans affecting to not be as blatant about it in their mainland and their core expressed values.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:21:55 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2016, 07:34:09 AM »
FUCKING CACS

Is this in response to Trump winning or you getting rejected by every white girl?

Neither, he was just restating his goal.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2016, 07:37:26 AM »
We're gonna be alright.

I saw a post in the politics thread, showing the five stages of grief. It dawned on me that as we are moving forward as a species, a portion of us, those who fear change, are also in grief for their changing lifestyle. Trump's election is the embodiment of their anger at disenfranchisement. Though I think this is horrible for us as a nation, and as a species, I also think it's a temporary setback.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »
Can you let me know too?  I'd like a cabinet position. 

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2016, 11:14:35 AM »
Wypipo have spoken. All the waffling i've been doing over the last 16 months about leaving here forever is over, i guess. They just don't want people like me here.

Time to #amerexit.
Will you be needing a personal accountant/butler?

Be Benson brehs  :doge

Kara

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
I'm not one to pass on the opportunity to kick down le Boche and while all of what you say is true (on top of the fact that "denazification" was first engaged at the behest of the foreign occupying powers, in the same half assed manner to my understanding as it was not practical to break Germany beyond a certain point) I don't think one can deny that the WW2 aftermath did force some European self-reflection on those matters and led to a strong backlash against some casual racism that was a fact of life (mostly antisemitism, colonization didn't die overnight even if ultimately it was brought down by the same apparent "revealed" contradictions), though it unfortunately seems that this pushback is  relying on how strong the memories of shame and trauma are, and those will fade out with time.

All that to say that I don't think the point QoI made was without merit : there's definitely an American specificity to how institutionalized racism played out compared to Europe. Even if it was only Europeans affecting to not be as blatant about it in their mainland and their core expressed values.

In America racist symbols are generally allowed de jure.

In Germany some racist symbols aren't allowed. In Germany you also have the NSU-Morde going unsolved for far too long (and the BfV destroying evidence it had on the neo-Nazis responsible for those murders after the neo-Nazi element came to light), the approximately equal surveillance of Die Linke and neo-Nazi political parties, or the V-Mann program making it difficult if not impossible to meaningfully shut down neo-Nazi political parties.

Americans have, continue to, and possibly always will, engage in denial about their history of racism (in both the public and quasi-public spheres) which is infuriating to anyone possessing a shred of familiarity with the history of those things.

Europeans (not just Germans) pay lip service to their crimes of the 20th Century after their continent was ethnically cleansed of the group that they tortured, repressed, and murdered for centuries. I commend them for closing the barn door after it had been left open overnight. For a week.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
Now seems like a good time to read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
Now seems like a good time to read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.
It's got the same ending.

Himu

« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »
I'm at the stage of anger.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
I looked at the district map for Texas last night. It was blue on the west side of the peninsula, and each of the four major cities. The cities just looked... surrounded.

I know you want to head for California, but maybe you could consider Canada? From what my friends tell me, black people are treated there the way we pretend they're treated in the USA.

It's hard to advise for abdication, but Texas looks like shithead central to me today. I hope you can live the life you deserve.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
I always recommend New Mexico too. Nice folks in a blue state plus excellent tacos and green chile!

Himu

« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
I refuse to let go of my ambitions despite this election. California is still the goal. Canada has gatekeepers for the animation industry as they are one of the best creators for the field and are very protective of it and since I'm doing an alternative route to get into the industry Canada isn't the answer. In the past, I would have loved to look into looking abroad but I've settled that I want to stay and fight instead while achieving my career goals.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2016, 09:29:03 PM »
Oklahoma voted for Trump 65-29. :goty
dog

Himu

« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »
I always recommend New Mexico too. Nice folks in a blue state plus excellent tacos and green chile!

I might consider this. There is an atelier in classical painting and drawing in Santa Fe. They seem legit as well. I'm not sure what contacts they have with the industry tho.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2016, 09:55:44 PM »
I looked at the district map for Texas last night. It was blue on the west side of the peninsula, and each of the four major cities. The cities just looked... surrounded.

Texas cities are really diverse, for sure: Houston is less than 50% white, San Antonio is more than 60% hispanic, Dallas is less than 50% white, Austin his a larger white population but is really liberal, El Paso is more than 80% hispanic. Houston and Dallas both have large Muslims communities. Recently, there's been a huge expansion of Asian businesses in north Dallas, from my own experience.

Once you're out of the cities, though, it's definitely CAC Town, though.
dog

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
OH!

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2016, 08:46:20 AM »
Hi

« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2016, 09:43:10 AM »

Norman, stop pretending to be Democrats.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »

In 2012, it went 67-33 for Romney. Damn you, Gary Johnson!
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
I might consider this. There is an atelier in classical painting and drawing in Santa Fe. They seem legit as well. I'm not sure what contacts they have with the industry tho.
Santa Fe is a great city for artists of all kinds. I'm about an hour south in Albuquerque but if you ever feel like checking out the state you're welcome here :)

Himu

« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
From the gaf thread where Fistful admits he had a blind spot on the rust belt and concentrated too much on social issues and Trump's awfulness:

It was a blind spot for me too. I've never really been to the rust belt. I've been to the country plenty of times - I'm from Texas so of course - but it's hard for me to reconcile it because that way of life is so foreign to me. I don't know anyone in the country and all the people I know from the country don't live in the country because there's better opportunities in the city. I have lived in a bubble and didn't recognize that the fact people have to move to cities is partly part of the problem. You shouldn't have to have your way of life die out because of the absence of the very political policy that promises to assist all of us. It's a hard pill to swallow...but I get it now. David Wong was right. Thisismyusername was right too. Dems and Republicans fucked up. When you see someone like Trump willing to topple over both establishments and your way of life is crumbling and you can't find a fucking job, you're gonna want to cry out for help. I know that for all my criticisms of Hillary and even Obama, I've been willing to look away because they will help *me* but I've unfortunately lived life without the self awareness that people may have legitimate grievance. More than anything, we need someone to help out rural and middle America and not on empty promises and not in a manner that affects the environment in a negative way (i.e. bringing back coal).

I've said on here and on gaf that white people are racist, but it's ultimately an amalgamation of my fear, of my hurt, of my pain. It could have been potentially harmful and destructive and I just didn't give a shit.

So in that way, I can see where they're coming from. I know personally that when you're in pain, you go swinging no matter where it lands and no matter who it hurts. It's a very human quality. I have had so much anger the past few years since Ferguson that I have not aired pubicly until it ballooned into what it is now. After the election I let it out in a reasonable, not angry way to people I know in real life, and my fear and distrust of white people and I've gotten support from all manners of people and backgrounds. It has forced me to reconsider my position and realize that my words were not skillful and caused nothing but harm.

I am locking this thread because it was harmful and contains some of the harshest emotions I have ever felt. It shouldn't have been made in the first place and I apologize.
IYKYK