Author Topic: This US election, white people, and the aftermath  (Read 43477 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: This US election, white people, and the aftermath
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2016, 04:11:51 PM »
I agree Vom.

My problem is the emotion of hate. It is tiring and hurtful. How do I get past that emotion? It needs to go away.

Seek professional help. As in a therapist.

Tasty

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2016, 04:14:15 PM »
My conundrum is:

1. I'm a white person.
2. I care about racial inequality.
3. But at the same time, I'm out of my depth. I both admit and have been told that I can't relate to the black experience in America, because I can't.
4. I've also been told I can't be an "ally" because white liberals don't really care, and I don't want to act like I can speak for (or at) the black community.

So for now I basically have to be content with doing nothing for non-whites other than voting for Democrats and pro-black policies. Sucks but whatever.

I wouldn't see you as an "ally" or an enemy to be fair. Calling out racism is great, the only problem is if you decide you know what's best for another race or how they should be(a trap many white liberals fall into).

All you have to do is not treat anyone differently because of their race, a decent person is decent and an asshole is an asshole. And just understand that you won't understand fully. You already do that so you're good.

Sure, obviously, just wish I could do more.

My conundrum is:

1. I'm a white person.
2. I care about racial inequality.
3. But at the same time, I'm out of my depth. I both admit and have been told that I can't relate to the black experience in America, because I can't.
4. I've also been told I can't be an "ally" because white liberals don't really care, and I don't want to act like I can speak for (or at) the black community.

So for now I basically have to be content with doing nothing for non-whites other than voting for Democrats and pro-black policies. Sucks but whatever.

You are fine.

Thanks. :)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »
Its kind of lame my grandma story gets ignored, ad Im the only one here that has had family murdered over their ethnicity in here but whatever I'm white so it doesn't count I guess

Himu

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »
I just picked up medicine and haven't gotten the chance to respond asshole
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
Come on, guys, for real, I voted for Hillary today and somehow that's not good enough?!
dog

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2016, 04:48:41 PM »
When you dive deep into activism, the negative is usually the thing that gets amplified. I was hugely politically active in the 90's for gay rights and all the negativity ate away at my soul. I had to step back and take care of myself and my immediate circle of friends/family, and it helped a lot. I try to take every person and their opinion as individuals instead of as a group. If you find yourself being hateful of an entire group of people, especially based on the color of their skin, it's time to take a step back for your own health/well being. It's not good for you or anyone else.

Trurl

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2016, 04:55:05 PM »
Its kind of lame my grandma story gets ignored, ad Im the only one here that has had family murdered over their ethnicity in here but whatever I'm white so it doesn't count I guess
Also the fact that it didn't happen to you.   Not saying that I think it's good to hold a grudge against all white people, but there's a more delicate way to express that than invoking the Holocaust.   I've never known a Holocaust survivor but I'm sure that plenty of them hate the whole German people, others have found forgiveness and others fall anywhere in between.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »
Im not jewish gross

Himu

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
Look Himu, its a shit sandwich being a discriminated minority and it's not fair, but turning inwards won't win any fights and you have to be stronger then that.

My grandma was in fucking Auschwitz and her dad died in the camps but she doesn't hate Germans and if she can get over it then who the fuck am I to get notions

Your comparison would be apt if white people actively made steps to improving the lives of people they colonized and fucked without lube. Instead they create false platitudes that do nothing but make themselves feel better and take away their own involvement ("racism is over" "I'm color blind" "we live in a multicultural society" "I'm Canadian!") or they seek to alter history to make their acts not as bad (Texas history textbooks being altered to make it seem like the antebellum slavery was self inflicted and the slaves were well provided for and happy!).

Germany? After WWII Germany made it illegal to have a Nazi uniform or flag. America allowed confederate flags to still exist under the guise of "freedom" despite being a symbol of racism. Germany? Germany went into thorough attempts to educate a new generation so nazi-Ism is uniformly seen as a gross injustice and platform to partake in. America? we gloss over the harsh realities of the past that minorities faced (even the Irish!). Germany paid reparations to Jewish people while white Americans recoil at the mere thought despite it being justified.

Germany, as a culture and society, gives plenty of room to forgive because they have made sure that nothing like the holocaust will ever happen again. To black people, the holocaust is still happening and many white people refuse to accept it.

Our circumstances couldn't be further apart. Never mind that my grandpa, although he wasn't murdered, almost was, and by his own co workers. I have personally beaten up and called a niggerr. Have you? Has a German personally socked you in the gut and called you a filthy Jew? Because I have. While your family has had awful history on this, it is no longer a threat to your life, family, or livelihood. It is the definition of false equivalence. Since you're splitting hairs, my cousin is the daughter of a former slave and still alive. While it's nice your grandma doesn't hate Germany, she's got more than a few reasons why doesn't need to. White people tho? Oh, all lives matter. Why do they have their own month? Why do they have their own tv channel? Why do they always talk about race? Meanwhile white people took the lessons of WWII (blaming a foreign group as the root of all of our problems) and are literally believe they can build a wall to keep Mexicans out or get out of the Eu to keep Arabs out.

If white society as a whole admitted they have a problem and were willing to talk and discuss how to fix it, we wouldn't be talking about this.

But we are.

IYKYK

Tasty

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2016, 05:31:24 PM »
But a whole lot don't, too. I just explained to my parents the other day how our private prison industry is modern day de facto slavery, there's a huge group of white people who are ignorant to that kind of shit, willfully or not.

Himu

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
A lot of white society does though, Himuro. Maybe not to the lengths that you'd like or should be done, but quite a few at least understand it's still a problem that needs to be solved.

A lot of white society does what exactly? If it's not black people, it's some other minority. If it's not another minority they need to feel better than, it's the poor white people ("poor white trash" et al). Because that's their culture.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:45:09 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2016, 05:36:19 PM »
A lot of white society does though, Himuro. Maybe not to the lengths that you'd like or should be done, but quite a few at least understand it's still a problem that needs to be solved.

A lot of white society does what exactly? If it's not black people, it's some other minority. If it's another minority they need to feel better than, it's the poor ("poor white trash" et al). Because that's their culture.

Yah, no.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »
Americans are crazy, man.

Jesus.
WHY DON'T YOU COME DOWN HERE AND SAY THAT HUH?!?

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2016, 05:41:26 PM »

A lot of white society does what exactly? If it's not black people, it's some other minority. If it's another minority they need to feel better than, it's the poor ("poor white trash" et al). Because that's their culture.

Yah, no.

No, yeah. I wouldn't say it's entirely unique to white people, as Wrath has illustrated, but the western world's culture has its roots in exploitative capitalism, imperialism, etc.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »
I agree Vom.

My problem is the emotion of hate. It is tiring and hurtful. How do I get past that emotion? It needs to go away.

Seek professional help. As in a therapist.

This.
ど助平

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »
More importantly

If I didn't tag myself voting on facebook did I even vote?  :huh
dur

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2016, 05:51:22 PM »
Fuck that response. Seriously. It's like "whoa there, sure society created these pressures on you, gave you the genetic memories of oppression, but you can't talk about it in a public arena! That's for professionals to handle!" Nerve struck alert

Tasty

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
No, yeah. I wouldn't say it's entirely unique to white people, as Wrath has illustrated, but the western world's culture has its roots in exploitative capitalism, imperialism, etc.

For the record, China is just as exploitative and capitalistic as we are (these days.)

Human nature sucks sometimes.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2016, 05:53:09 PM »
Well, they gotta compete in a global market, right? Yeah humanity needs an overhaul

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »
Im happy to find out conquering other tribes is an exclusive past time of white people

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »
Literally no one said that

stufte

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »
Fuck that response. Seriously. It's like "whoa there, sure society created these pressures on you, gave you the genetic memories of oppression, but you can't talk about it in a public arena! That's for professionals to handle!" Nerve struck alert

genetic memories of oppression?? wtf is this, assassin's creed?

Himu

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2016, 05:57:14 PM »
Go back to the gaf thread plz
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2016, 05:57:30 PM »
As a white person, I'm constantly baffled by the hoops my fellow pale pals jump through to put blinders on to the majority culture of oppression and exploitation anytime someone labels it white

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »

genetic memories of oppression?? wtf is this, assassin's creed?

http://bfy.tw/8eLx

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2016, 05:58:57 PM »
strange its almost like its distinguished mentally-challenged racism making assumptions based on skin colour

stufte

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »
Go back to the gaf thread plz

why? did you just want your OP validated for you? Do you want us to all tell you it's ok to be racist? Like I said in my previous post in here, you seriously need to take a step back.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »
You realize you look like a petulant child when you refuse to further discuss  or acknowledge exploitation and oppression because someone in a round about way grouped you in with the oppressors? Boo hoo not all whites, okay fine, some whites aren't actively, willingly causing oppression -- but it still exists.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2016, 06:03:46 PM »
yo if black people want to stop getting harassed by cops maybe they should stop committing crimes like Fast and Furious, targeting people with the IRS, letting Iran get nuclear weapons, using the military too much, covering up Benghazi and Clinton e-mails, ruining health insurance with big government, deporting millions, murder droning Americans without trial, not reaching peace with Iran, murder droning foreigners just because, cutting the military to the bone, putting their feet on the people's desk, restricting the second amendment, importing illegals, NSA spying, Solyndra, etc.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »

It doesn't sound too unreasonable to suggest that in response specifically to being eaten alive by a negative emotion you are not able to control.
I don't think anyone is saying that opinions & grievances at systemic racial issues can be adressed by medecine.
ὕβρις

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
Fair enough, like I said, it just strikes a nerve to me as it is a common occurrence in American culture for people's issues to be dismissed as clinical problems to be solved on a couch or with a bottle of pills

Himu

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »

It doesn't sound too unreasonable to suggest that in response specifically to being eaten alive by a negative emotion you are not able to control.
I don't think anyone is saying that opinions & grievances at systemic racial issues can be adressed by medecine.

I certainly agree. I don't think it's good. It's why I made the thread. But it is a strong emotion that I can't help.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2016, 06:12:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm catching your wave. I'm just at the point where I feel if there's anyone who should be able to take a generalization on the chin and move past it to see the valid pain, criticisms, etc it's uncle whitey

Himu

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »
Great article that fully encompasses my views.

http://racebaitr.com/2015/10/09/why-i-dont-talk-to-white-people/
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2016, 06:14:07 PM »
lol I'm sorry but I giggled at the URL (gonna go read it now)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »
Himuro, it seems you are becoming a radical. Usually this happens because of other issues but it manifests itself like this as you feel helpless to attend those.

Not saying these aren't real issues but usually there are other things that would make someone become radical.

Talking to a professional might help.

Im saying this as a guy that only vaguely has seen you post over the years, but you've never been this extreme.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2016, 06:17:28 PM »
You dont become number 1 world dominators by ignoring insults

but you guys wouldnt know

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2016, 06:17:54 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:umad
[close]

stufte

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm catching your wave. I'm just at the point where I feel if there's anyone who should be able to take a generalization on the chin and move past it to see the valid pain, criticisms, etc it's uncle whitey

I agree. Sorry white boreans, but I do kinda laugh at you when you get angry at being blanketed most of the time. Seems to be the easiest shit to brush off and ignored to me.

I won't hate y'all for it though, as much as it might bother you I see it as ignorance.

I'm just keen on being treated with the same respect that is being asked of me. I think that a mutual respect goes a long way, and if people want to be lazy and make blanket statements about the entirety of a race that I am a part of, then it does piss me off a bit. I'm an individual. I'm of Irish descent (and 1 drop rule and all that, I'm also a dash of Togo descent as well). Me being annoyed doesn't mean I'm ignoring anything either.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
Meh Nvm I didn't read everything and I'm not about to (this was a response to stufte at first)

Himu

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2016, 06:31:54 PM »
Himuro, it seems you are becoming a radical. Usually this happens because of other issues but it manifests itself like this as you feel helpless to attend those.

Not saying these aren't real issues but usually there are other things that would make someone become radical.

Talking to a professional might help.

Im saying this as a guy that only vaguely has seen you post over the years, but you've never been this extreme.

Maybe I am becoming a radical. But to say I'm turning into a radical without justified phenomena or experience doesn't make much sense to me.
IYKYK

stufte

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »

I agree. Sorry white boreans, but I do kinda laugh at you when you get angry at being blanketed most of the time. Seems to be the easiest shit to brush off and ignored to me.

I won't hate y'all for it though, as much as it might bother you I see it as ignorance.

I'm just keen on being treated with the same respect that is being asked of me. I think that a mutual respect goes a long way, and if people want to be lazy and make blanket statements about the entirety of a race that I am a part of, then it does piss me off a bit. I'm an individual. I'm of Irish descent (and 1 drop rule and all that, I'm also a dash of Togo descent as well). Me being annoyed doesn't mean I'm ignoring anything either.

Dude, we're cool. You know that. I think we've had this discussion before. Hell, I'm defending white people in this very thread. Just saying that I won't lie about the fact that it's hard for me to relate to it since I've been treated with much worse and learned to brush it off.

I won't treat you awfully just because you're white, though. You'll be treated exactly like everybody else. I do get why it bothers you and others, though. Won't fully write it off, just saying that I find it comical personally.

And Himu, you know you're my gal. It really sucks that you feel that way and I hope you find the peace you crave.

Oh I know, it was just a general response to the sentiment.   :respect

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2016, 06:53:37 PM »

Anger / hate is a very common manifestations of depression.
It's not a coincidence that the 2nd question any medical professional would ask you is "do you have any thoughts about harming others" right after "do you have suicidal thoughts".

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2016, 06:56:43 PM »
I believe it was nudemacuser that once said “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2016, 07:18:06 PM »
I can't really find fault with you disliking or avoiding white people because there really are a lot of racist white people, including The Good Ones. Racism and privileged ignorance go deep.

I do think you're creating a sort of monolithic view of whiteness for yourself. Whiteness and white culture is as confused and contradictory as any identity we force upon a group of people. For example looking down on the poors of your own ethnic group isn't a reflection of some unique aspect of whiteness as it is a class dynamic that's repeated in basically every society. Not to get too ethnic studies here but whiteness is an arbitrary construct designed to maintain a power structure, not an essentialist identity (:expert).

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2016, 07:19:23 PM »
nudemacuser wisely said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

I got chills.
He got another one in before the snip? :whew

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
:drudge KEY RACE ALERT :drudge........it's nothing
que

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
Sidenote but I'm glad you're back here to some degree Himu. The rare poster than can drop in on a board after being gone for months and spawn a triple page banger in a few hours. Salute

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2016, 08:49:16 PM »
*checks kosma posts in thread*

yup, white people
pcp

nudemacusers

« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2016, 08:50:24 PM »
nudemacuser wisely said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

I got chills.
Four? Don't put this devilry on me before I lop my nuts off  >:(
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2016, 09:54:04 PM »
*watching election results coming in*

yeah, fuck white people
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »
Just line me up against the wall now, brehs. I'm ready to go. :goty
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2016, 09:58:33 PM »
bury me with my Final Fantasy figures and take me to weeaboo heaven Rumbler
pcp

Himu

« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
*watching election results coming in*

yeah, fuck white people

Yup.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
This is your true face, cacs. Revel in the fake smiles.
IYKYK

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »
FUCKING CACS

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
Ah more like fuck Americans.  Also black turn out seems to be low.

nudemacusers

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2016, 10:31:31 PM »
At least my gated community will protect me  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2016, 10:34:33 PM »
who you gated in with?