Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5446064 times)

agrajag

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #29760 on: January 18, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
to be fair the special counsel's statement is incredibly vague and it's not clear which part of the report they are denying

Boredfrom

« Reply #29761 on: January 18, 2019, 09:10:51 PM »
reporter known to make shit up just made some shit up. i'm simply flabbergasted.

site that is mainly know for "take this quiz to figure out which kind of sushi represents you" isn't a reliable news source. much amaze.

It’s why I hesitated to comment earlier given the Enron and Plame misfires, which includes playing loose with unreliable sources, but to be fair the guy has also done some work that has held up pretty remarkably. Including being one of the first reporters to break some initial stories about the Trump Moscow deal which ultimately were almost verbatim stuff laid out in Mueller indictments.

That does not make them competent journalists, though.

Boredfrom

« Reply #29762 on: January 18, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
 ???

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29763 on: January 18, 2019, 10:13:37 PM »
*edited to alter some wording to try and avoid suggesting Cohen had no plea at all, rather than needing to alter his plea to accommodate rather significant other cases of lying under oath*

I think a number of people from all sides of the Russia theories dispute, like marcy wheeler and some of her normal opponents, are appropriately pointing out a potential problem with the story being "the smocking gun" isn't really BuzzFeed or its reporters, it's that they've built a specific case against Cohen for specific actions, leaking stories like this and painting Cohen as a compulsive liar doesn't help their case and is actually what Trump's camp would prefer as it messes that whole thing up, and even more so messes up any attempt to use Cohen as a further credible witness. It doesn't help Cohen, sure, but nobody gives a fuck about him anymore.

It's entirely possible for every single aspect to be true, so that say BuzzFeed poorly reported on a story that Cohen told that's actually true. But even in that case, Mueller still wouldn't want it if the only piece of evidence available is Cohen yet again lying about something but it wasn't important enough to plea regarding.

This happens all the time in normal cases, down to drug dealers or small robberies, prosecutors don't want to give up a slam dunk to chase a whim in which their initial source would be a liar telling them something they want to hear not in the plea. (Again, I'm presuming that they don't have anything else currently to corroborate Cohen to illustrate why a prosecutor would avoid the case; not saying that there isn't any other evidence in this particular case. Still feel free to call me stupid, Mandark.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:25:50 PM by benjipwns »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #29764 on: January 18, 2019, 10:25:23 PM »
They've already said Cohen wasn't a source for the story.
___

benjipwns

« Reply #29765 on: January 18, 2019, 10:38:23 PM »
I assumed the officials learned the information about Trump telling Cohen to lie and meet with Putin from Cohen himself.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:48:38 PM by benjipwns »

Nola

« Reply #29766 on: January 19, 2019, 01:29:17 AM »
By every indication Mueller is not using Cohen as a primary, let alone singular witness to hinge any aspect of the case on. I mean keep in mind Cohen basically went to him, though Mueller did end up giving him a strong endorsement at his sentencing which suggests he was helpful in some notable capacity.

Now that this story is at least partially contested by the special counsel this may or may not be true, but it is something other reporting has said, which is that Cohen was/is merely an additional corroborative witness, the bulk of any particular aspect of this case is coming from other avenues. This story mentioned Cohen as merely being someone that could be an additional confirmation and filling out some details while the bulk of the info is likely to come from emails, texts, corporate eye witnesses, and other documents. Which still seems pretty plausible given the raid and the special counsel having already subpoenaed at least some people in the Trump organization....Whether Trump is as dead to rights on suborning perjury as the article suggested, before Cohen even came to the table, seems up in the air now.

benjipwns

« Reply #29767 on: January 19, 2019, 01:43:09 AM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #29768 on: January 19, 2019, 01:46:22 AM »
Ellis Henican is an American columnist at Newsday and AM New York as well as a political analyst on the Fox News Channel. He hosts a nationally syndicated weekend show on Talk Radio Network and is the voice of "Stormy" on the Cartoon Network series Sealab 2021.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:51:22 AM by shosta »
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #29769 on: January 19, 2019, 01:56:27 AM »
Henican also lent his voice to pundit Harper Ellis on Frisky Dingo
neat

benjipwns

« Reply #29770 on: January 19, 2019, 02:00:33 AM »
I liked him on the old version of Fox News Watch before it just became MRC on TV.

I also like that his Wikipedia page lists Red Eye as a show he was famous for appearing on, but he only seems to have ever been on one episode.

Where this apparently happened since it's on his flickr under "what.":

Occam

« Reply #29771 on: January 19, 2019, 02:18:28 AM »
What if, in a shyamalanian plot twist it turns out Mueller actually is a typical modern Republican (and all that entails) after all?

Wouldn't that be a hilarious season finale?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:30:08 AM by Occam »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29773 on: January 19, 2019, 05:59:53 AM »
What if, in a shyamalanian plot twist it turns out Mueller actually is a typical modern Republican (and all that entails) after all?

Wouldn't that be a hilarious season finale?
What people are asking for is a government agency that costs over $50 billion a year to come out and say:
"In 2016 we were outsmarted by Roger Stone, Paul Manafort and a bunch of grifters we were actively monitoring at that time."
Which is never going to happen.

That ship sailed when Papadopoulous got away with like 2 weeks in the can and Manafort was nailed for financial crimes.
Plus when Mueller told the judge to keep in mind the cooperation that Flynn offered during the investigation.

Trump might still get in trouble based on what was uncovered but it seems unlikely they'll go with the "RUSSIANS!!!" angle and/or use Cohen as their witness.
The worst scenario for Trump is that Mueller concludes that the entire campaign was engineered to defraud the citizens of the United States and scam foreign entities by offering positions, influence and power to the highest bidder because they never intended to win. And it was all done because he told them to.

As opposed to, while Trump flew around the country his questionable group of friends 'volunteered' to help out the smoke and mirrors campaign by enriching themselves and it blew up in their face when he won.
The family had no idea what those people were up to or didn't have a clue what was going on or the impliciations of what they were doing because they were busy keeping dad from tweeting.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #29774 on: January 19, 2019, 06:13:55 AM »
I don't think the revelation of a The Producers like scam would be the worst case scenario for Trump.

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29776 on: January 19, 2019, 06:26:32 AM »
Someone call Buzzfeed. A very reliable source send me the draft of Muellers conclusions regarding the investigation into the Trump campaign.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
To: Mr. Barr

Hereby I share with you my findings regarding the special investigation into the 2016 Presidential Campaign of DONALD J. TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT and affiliates.

In conclusion it is our understanding that had Ms. Clinton visited Wisconson, Michigan and Ohio more often she would now be the President instead of Donald J. Trump.
We furthermore conclude that years of bad reality TV programming has damaged the average American mind to a level that they can no longer accurately participate in Democracy.

We recommend:
- To arrest Hillary Clinton for bringing this catastrophy upon us before she decides to run again in 2020 and history repeats itself
- To ban all reality TV, social-media and outlaw 24/7 news broadcasts
- To apologize to Vladmir V. Putin the Russian head of state
- To remove the current President of the United States DONALD J. TRUMP from the White House before people get hurt (note: a trail of hamburgers might work)
- To abolish congress and outlaw democracy and appoint JEB BUSH as SUPREME CHANCELLOR OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Sincerely,

ROBERT S MUELLER III - SPECIAL COUNSEL

P.S. Bernie would have won
[close]

It comes from the same reliable information brokers that provided me with:
- The first screenshots of Excite Bots
- A fully leaked Nintendo Direct folder list on a photograph taken at one of the Nintendo of Europe offices
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #29777 on: January 19, 2019, 06:34:31 AM »
wow, Robert Mueller can't even spell Wisconsin right

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29778 on: January 19, 2019, 06:48:57 AM »
Did anyone bother to spell check the Steele dossier?  :shh
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #29780 on: January 19, 2019, 08:54:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1086483485668319233

AOC dropping vintage memes on them

BikeJesus

« Reply #29781 on: January 19, 2019, 09:57:12 AM »
Gamer memes? Yikes. I always knew she was a Nazi.

Nola

« Reply #29782 on: January 19, 2019, 10:47:28 AM »

That does not make them competent journalists, though.

No, it makes Jason the sort of journalist you don’t jump at trusting before everyone else gets a shot at corroborating imo. He’s clearly sloppy at times and will run with stories others don’t feel confident in doing so...clearly sometimes for good reason. He’s also done a lot of reporting that has been downright great, so be cautious, but not dismissive seems wise.

And to be clear, we also don’t exactly know what the Special Counsel is contesting? Some deviation in the details or the entire arc?

And as a side note, we also already know that Trump has suborned perjury on several occasions. Most notably directing his son in written documents to lie to congress. Which Marcy Wheeer was pointing out again last night.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29783 on: January 19, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »
Suborned is a silly lil word

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29785 on: January 19, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
lol

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #29786 on: January 19, 2019, 01:42:00 PM »
good fucking luck with that one
püp

kingv

« Reply #29787 on: January 19, 2019, 02:27:20 PM »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29790 on: January 19, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »
Breaking: People harassed by Trump youth, this is like the Nazi's all over again

Wow, yikes dawg

*looks up video*

https://twitter.com/sahluwal/status/1086641618776580096

:comeon
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29791 on: January 19, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
oh, you're gonna defend this?

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #29792 on: January 19, 2019, 07:58:59 PM »
Can't think of a better marriage of ideology and audience than Trumpism and well off little shits.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29793 on: January 19, 2019, 07:59:12 PM »
oh, you're gonna defend this?
No. The guy should've hit smug face with his stick.

But a couple of annoying teens does not equal a Nazi rally.
🤴

shosta

« Reply #29794 on: January 19, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »
who said it was a nazi rally
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29795 on: January 19, 2019, 08:01:45 PM »
nazis? the tweet says "harassed & bothered" ya dumb bitch

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29796 on: January 19, 2019, 08:03:06 PM »
who said it was a nazi rally

nintex did

he wrote nazis in his post, immediately forgot cause he's got the brain of a goldfish, then saw the word on his screen and got defensive

shosta

« Reply #29797 on: January 19, 2019, 08:04:39 PM »
nintex, february strikers died so you could have internet and this is how you honor their memory, smgdh
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:15:27 PM by Nintex »
🤴

shosta

« Reply #29799 on: January 19, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=nazi%20youth&src=typd
well it's not inaccurate to say that a bunch of kids in Trump paraphernalia shaming the out-group over nativism is similar to the nazi youth movement. I see exactly one post calling it a "rally".
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29800 on: January 19, 2019, 08:18:02 PM »
hahahaha dutch boy couldn't even find a blue check on twitter who got out over their skis and called them nazis

Himu

« Reply #29801 on: January 19, 2019, 08:20:06 PM »
Yes, I too like to defend teenagers that yell at Native American vets to "go home". Fuck off.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29802 on: January 19, 2019, 08:22:00 PM »
white kids using trump's nativist rhetoric against an actual native is fucking peak cac

a veteran at that!

shosta

« Reply #29803 on: January 19, 2019, 08:23:39 PM »
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29804 on: January 19, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »
Sigh I'm not defending that asshole.

I'm just saying that all the "hot takes" about Nazi's, entire generations of youth being lost and of course the wall to wall coverage of that idiot and friends are dumb.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #29805 on: January 19, 2019, 08:33:21 PM »

I'm just saying that all the "hot takes" about Nazi's, entire generations of youth being lost and of course the wall to wall coverage of that idiot and friends are dumb.

The coverage is fine. Calling it a Nazi rally is a bit much and I think desensitizes people to actual Nazi's, however the people at the rally are dumb fuck asshole cacs that deserve to be mocked and disgraced in a civil manner. Which is exactly what's happening. They made their plot. Yes there's hyperbole, but that's just the sjw leftist tent who should always be ignored anyways because they belong in an institution. But many are rightfully criticizing them that aren't insane people who think is in any shape or form an indictment on an generation of youth or that they're even Nazi's. The extreme left that you see at ResetEra or something aren't an indication of anything, will never be relevant, and should be safely ignored. The rest of us will stick our noses out at and dismiss this cruel act of bigotry for what it is and nothing beyond that besides a wide, sweeping denial of Trumpism.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #29806 on: January 19, 2019, 08:35:08 PM »
shaming is an important tool for society to correct errant behavior. you might be familiar with this!
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29807 on: January 19, 2019, 08:36:13 PM »

nah, you're obviously defending them

the whole point of your post was to lie about the reaction so you could make it seem like a moral panic and paint the white kids as the real victims

in fact you're still doing that

agrajag

shosta

« Reply #29809 on: January 19, 2019, 08:38:59 PM »
I'm thinking of making a nintex markov chain. I did one for etiolate but way too many of the generated posts were about mandark and curly. And wakanda.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29810 on: January 19, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
On a serious note, Adam Serwer's response is clearer and more succinct than I could be:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1086687391044300800

benjipwns

« Reply #29811 on: January 19, 2019, 08:44:52 PM »
"When I was there singing, I heard them saying 'Build that wall, build that wall,'" Phillips said, as he wiped away tears in a video posted on Instagram. "This is indigenous lands. We're not supposed to have walls here. We never did."
Nathan, that's not going to send the message you want unfortunately.

benjipwns

« Reply #29812 on: January 19, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
when your anti-abortion march turns into an anti-immigrant event against native americans :goty2
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:50:04 PM by benjipwns »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #29813 on: January 19, 2019, 08:49:15 PM »
"When I was there singing, I heard them saying 'Build that wall, build that wall,'" Phillips said, as he wiped away tears in a video posted on Instagram. "This is indigenous lands. We're not supposed to have walls here. We never did."
Nathan, that's not going to send the message you want unfortunately.

???

edit: nvm I'm dumb although his quote still speaks to me tbh

benjipwns

« Reply #29814 on: January 19, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »
Just to clarify for anyone else who reads it too quickly, there's pretty much a meme among the immigration restrictionists in which they talk about the European settlers as a wave of "uncontrolled immigration" like we're supposedly currently experiencing. Ignoring of course that the population of all people living within the area of the current United States did not crack 50 million until the 1880s.

In any case, they point to the Native Americans/First Nations lack of immigration controls and processing system as proof of the danger of what will happen to the people who currently live here.

Tripon

benjipwns

« Reply #29816 on: January 19, 2019, 10:08:07 PM »
around the school?

Tripon

« Reply #29817 on: January 19, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
around the school?

Build the Wall so that attendance of students at the school (It's South Gate, which if I had to take a guess may be 90% Hispanic after the white flight in the 70s and 80s), plummets and all the teachers lose their jobs.

It's not supposed to make sense.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29818 on: January 19, 2019, 10:29:23 PM »
It's kind of wild we have a president whose catchphrases (or apparel, or sometimes just his name) are used regularly by racist assholes to convey "fuck you, darkies!" and everyone on both sides of the interaction understands perfectly what's being said.

benjipwns

« Reply #29819 on: January 19, 2019, 10:36:28 PM »
It's kind of wild we have a president whose catchphrases (or apparel, or sometimes just his name) are used regularly by racist assholes to convey "fuck you, darkies!" and everyone on both sides of the interaction understands perfectly what's being said.
wow, just straight up with a hot take calling the President a Nazi Rally