Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5502877 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: US Politics Thread |OT| #nytsucks
« Reply #49440 on: January 20, 2020, 11:31:18 PM »
is this forum finally going to have the great Modern Meme Theory debate? is it ready for that?

"Is Chartalism A Success" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #49441 on: January 20, 2020, 11:37:52 PM »
I just meant running a current account deficit  :doge
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #49442 on: January 20, 2020, 11:38:11 PM »
If Bernard is not president by year end none of you will be sad.

You'll all be dead. I guarantee it.
:trumps

Himu

« Reply #49443 on: January 21, 2020, 12:30:22 AM »
Tomorrow the big day. Reading up on all prior impeachment trials tonight.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #49444 on: January 21, 2020, 12:36:21 AM »
Also McConnell is playing a dangerous game. The polling of the populace right now looks similar to the same numbers the American citizens had when Nixon's impeachment investigation was going on. It's why he resigned at the behest of the Senate. But the Senate aren't pressuring Trump to resign and they won't put him on guilty either. They want to keep their jobs and this could result in a massive blue wave - bigger than 2018.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #49445 on: January 21, 2020, 12:40:08 AM »
The main concern right now is if Trump being exonerated makes him think he's king who can do whatever he wants and just goes all out from now till the election. This could very well be putting the constitution down the toilet.

I'm never voting for a Republican ever again after this and as much as I disagree/dislike the Democrats on many issues (their cock sucking of Biden and "moderates" for one, their war tendencies that are just as hawkish as the GOP for two) they really are the better of the two parties.

I'm so far away from the gun issue it's not even on my mind anymore. America is at stake.

My one concern with Sanders is that this is the guy who ran a campaign so incompetent that he lost to the candidate who lost to the worst candidate in history. How do you fuck things up that badly? He'd need to do substantially better in the general.

quick refresher

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/fact-check-did-the-dnc-illegally-steal-the-2016-primary-from-bernie-sanders
This portion of the DNC charter—article five, section four—states:

In the conduct and management of the affairs and procedures of the Democratic National Committee, particularly as they apply to the preparation and conduct of the Presidential nomination process, the Chairperson shall exercise impartiality and evenhandedness as between the Presidential candidates and campaigns.
“These governing documents,” the complaint argues, “expressly obligate the DNC to maintain a neutral posture with respect to candidates seeking the party’s nomination for President during the nominating process.”

According to Newsweek, in response to the lawsuit the DNC contended that “the organization's neutrality among Democratic campaigns during the primaries was merely a 'political promise,' and therefore it had no legal obligations to remain impartial throughout the process.”

And the court seems to have agreed with the DNC: The lawsuit was dismissed in late August.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774
Individuals who had maxed out their $2,700 contribution limit to the campaign could write an additional check for $353,400 to the Hillary Victory Fund—that figure represented $10,000 to each of the 32 states’ parties who were part of the Victory Fund agreement—$320,000—and $33,400 to the DNC. The money would be deposited in the states first, and transferred to the DNC shortly after that. Money in the battleground states usually stayed in that state, but all the other states funneled that money directly to the DNC, which quickly transferred the money to Brooklyn.

“Wait,” I said. “That victory fund was supposed to be for whoever was the nominee, and the state party races. You’re telling me that Hillary has been controlling it since before she got the nomination?”

You're quoting Washington Examiner (they're like New York Post meets National Review) and the Donna Brazile book.

Washington Examiner is basically a right wing outlet that makes think they're on the ball because they have "Washington" in their name.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #49446 on: January 21, 2020, 12:41:56 AM »
This could very well be putting the constitution down the toilet.
I have some bad news.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #49447 on: January 21, 2020, 12:43:34 AM »
This could very well be putting the constitution down the toilet.
I have some bad news.

I'm very concerned, especially since Trump's base is violent. Thankfully I have a gun.  :doge
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #49448 on: January 21, 2020, 12:46:31 AM »
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #49449 on: January 21, 2020, 12:56:03 AM »
Thankfully I have a gun.  :doge
I have even worse news.

Ah, I see you're in the "america is over" camp.

Oh well, at least I have Dark Souls, which tells me to keep fighting no matter what and to never, ever give up lest I go hollow. :doge
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #49450 on: January 21, 2020, 01:04:02 AM »
Tomorrow the big day. Reading up on all prior impeachment trials tonight.
If you want to for some reason, the open parts of the Senate trial during the Clinton Impeachment are available on C-SPAN in a bunch of parts:
https://www.c-span.org/search/?sdate=01%2F01%2F1999&edate=12%2F31%2F1999&congressSelect=&yearSelect=&searchtype=Videos&sort=Least+Recent+Airing&text=0&all%5B%5D=clinton&all%5B%5D=impeachment&sponsorid%5B%5D=187&formatid%5B%5D=51

If you click on a video and it's like 15 minutes long it's just some procedural bullshit and maybe a couple questions, the actual trial stuff is all an hour or two long at minimum. I'm sure there's a ten hour compilation version on YouTube somewhere but I couldn't find it in the first page of results so I gave up and went to C-SPAN since I knew it was there.

I did find this, here's the President of the United States talking to Chris Matthews back then:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

shosta

« Reply #49451 on: January 21, 2020, 01:11:47 AM »
Oh no, I'm not an end-times person. My first point was that constitutional boundaries have been functionally derelict for some time. The executive branch wages war without congress, Trump appropriates funds without congress, the majority of laws and regulations now are repealed at whim by the executive branch... and the Senate blocks every effort by the House to end the madness.

My second point was that guns are bad and won't keep you safe. Please sell your guns.
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #49452 on: January 21, 2020, 01:12:34 AM »
Stephanie Kelton? She's fine. Literally 100% of her time is just spent explaining that the debt doesn't matter and that given the US's trade situation the government should run a deficit.

My understanding of the National Income Accounting Identity is that given the US's trade situation, we HAVE to run a deficit because of our status as a net exporter.

(G-T) = (S-I) - (X-M) or Fiscal Deficit = Net Savings - Net Exports

rearranged you can say: Net Exports + Fiscal Deficit = Net Savings

If you are a net importer, then X-M is a negative number, so in order to have a private sector that is not forever going into ever-increasing private debt, you actually have to run a Fiscal Deficit or crash your economy until your citizenry does not have enough excess cash to afford imports and/or significantly reduce private investment to rebalance the equation.

I actually think the MMT people are wrong in terms of the fundamentals, but their policy prescriptions are basically right for where we are right now. They are basically like right for the wrong reason.... but I'm also not an economist, so

Himu

« Reply #49453 on: January 21, 2020, 01:20:51 AM »
Oh no, I'm not an end-times person. My first point was that constitutional boundaries have been functionally derelict for some time. The executive branch wages war without congress, Trump appropriates funds without congress, the majority of laws and regulations now are repealed at whim by the executive branch... and the Senate blocks every effort by the House to end the madness.

My second point was that guns are bad and won't keep you safe. Please sell your guns.

The constitutions power has become more thin for a while now but if Trump is seen as innocent by the senate it will be well and truly dead.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #49454 on: January 21, 2020, 01:22:21 AM »
If you are a net importer, then X-M is a negative number, so in order to have a private sector that is not forever going into ever-increasing private debt, you actually have to run a Fiscal Deficit or crash your economy until your citizenry does not have enough excess cash to afford imports and/or significantly reduce private investment to rebalance the equation.
pulling out the infamous graph:

tfw the clinton budget surplus caused the 2001 recession :fbm
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #49456 on: January 21, 2020, 01:30:27 AM »
The constitutions power has become more thin for a while now but if Trump is seen as innocent by the senate it will be well and truly dead.
George Walker Bush (43rd, 2001-2009)

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #49458 on: January 21, 2020, 01:39:50 AM »
*fill Baptist Church

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #49459 on: January 21, 2020, 01:43:23 AM »
(((person who believes in the development and protection of a Jewish nation)))

benjipwns

« Reply #49460 on: January 21, 2020, 02:01:11 AM »

:dobbs

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #49461 on: January 21, 2020, 07:49:21 AM »
A new SARS is rapidly spreading across Asia

Mr. Trump, time to ban all asians
:O

Trurl

« Reply #49462 on: January 21, 2020, 09:55:24 AM »
I remember reading a take on Hamilton that said it was the perfect musical for the Obama years because it mostly accepted Revolution-era power structures just with an elite that happened to be diverse.  I'm thinking that might explain the rift between Bernie, the Squad (and sorta Warren) against things like the NYT and the Obama camp.  It's a choice between wanting progress to mean CEOs being as diverse as America with a bit of help directed at the little guy, vs. seeing the economic power structure of the US as fundamentally unjust no matter how diverse the top might become.

Occam

« Reply #49463 on: January 21, 2020, 10:12:27 AM »
Hillary Clinton on Bernie Sanders: ‘Nobody Likes Him’
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/us/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders.html

That's rich, coming from her. Why can't she just shut up and be a private citizen?

"Mrs. Clinton also dodged a question about whether she’d endorse and campaign for Mr. Sanders if he were to win the Democratic nomination."
What a nice way of her to thank Sanders for his endorsement in 2016.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #49464 on: January 21, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
How awful that Hillary Clinton would attack minority politician Bernie Sanders on MLK Day of all days.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #49465 on: January 21, 2020, 10:44:44 AM »
Hillary is trash.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #49466 on: January 21, 2020, 10:57:52 AM »
:umad

piss off back to little st james with your pedo rapist husband, loser

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #49467 on: January 21, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
just stating facts about slave owning racist hillary clinton

:yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #49468 on: January 21, 2020, 11:11:48 AM »
:umad

piss off back to little st james with your pedo rapist husband, loser

i like how u do that umad emote and then u sound even more mad than hillary :sabu

Hillary is rich.
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #49469 on: January 21, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
Holy shit, she actually equated the Bernie/Warren armageddon with trump garbage:

Clinton said Sanders' conduct was part of a pattern.
"Then this argument about whether or not or when he did or didn't say that a woman couldn't be elected, it's part of a pattern," she told the THR. "If it were a one-off, you might say, 'OK, fine.' But he said I was unqualified. I had a lot more experience than he did, and got a lot more done than he had, but that was his attack on me.

She continued, "I just think people need to pay attention because we want, hopefully, to elect a president who's going to try to bring us together, and not either turn a blind eye, or actually reward the kind of insulting, attacking, demeaning, degrading behavior that we've seen from this current administration."

she really is abuelita that noone should listen to.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #49470 on: January 21, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »
Senate was supposed start at 1230, got delayed to 1.

:thinking

Himu

« Reply #49471 on: January 21, 2020, 12:45:11 PM »
I'm listening to the impeachment on NPR and hate hearing McConnell's voice so fucking much.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #49472 on: January 21, 2020, 01:00:49 PM »
I'm listening to the impeachment on NPR and hate hearing McConnell's voice so fucking much.

The only Americans in history who were worse than McConnell all lived in the 1860s.

Aside from like, child molesters, McConnell is the one person who makes me hope there's a hell.

Even if I end up there myself.
[close]

Nah, there were plenty of shitty Americans from 1870 - 1970's. McConnell is cut from the same cloth.
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #49474 on: January 21, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »
That's fair.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #49475 on: January 21, 2020, 01:20:08 PM »
It's on
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #49476 on: January 21, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »
msnbc is terrible, they were talking to some dude instead of showing chief roberts.

FStop7

« Reply #49477 on: January 21, 2020, 01:34:11 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/21/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-documentary/index.html

Clinton says 'nobody likes' Sanders and won't commit to backing him if he's the Democratic nominee

"He was in Congress for years. He had one senator support him. Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him, he got nothing done," Clinton says in the film, according to The Hollywood Reporter. "He was a career politician. It's all just baloney and I feel so bad that people got sucked into it."

HOES MAD

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #49478 on: January 21, 2020, 01:35:41 PM »
Dennis Hastert is in prison because he tried to commit fraud to cover up that he's a serial child molester. Politicians are a reflection of the society, people can elect the angels and outright devil's to represent them.

shosta

« Reply #49479 on: January 21, 2020, 01:39:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1219669797241225216

I don't think Will's going to survive Bernie losing the primary.
每天生气

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #49480 on: January 21, 2020, 01:40:12 PM »
If Denny was still in office, he would be "a very good man and any allegations against him are just partisan smears."
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #49481 on: January 21, 2020, 01:47:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/mialberti/status/1219650670451707904

:violin Roll with dogs and you're gonna get fleas.
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #49482 on: January 21, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »
Clinton opens her mouth and a deadly virus appears, makes you think  :thinking
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #49483 on: January 21, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »
Wonder if Hillary is waiting to announce her running until after trump's conviction.

Kara

« Reply #49484 on: January 21, 2020, 01:58:57 PM »
Dennis Hastert is in prison because he tried to commit fraud to cover up that he's a serial child molester. Politicians are a reflection of the society, people can elect the angels and outright devil's to represent them.

For a long time I wondered why that just wasn't a story, especially one used as a cudgel against the Republican Party. Then 2019 happened and I was like, "Oh, that explains that!"

Anyway big ups to Assy McGee for voting for a guy that jails journalists that expose him. Guess you're more of a Venezuela guy than you thought!

Himu

« Reply #49485 on: January 21, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »
Clinton opens her mouth and a deadly virus appears, makes you think  :thinking

IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #49486 on: January 21, 2020, 02:06:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1219645443149369344

tfw you get back to work for your first meeting on monday with a hangover and the client won't shut up
🤴

FStop7

« Reply #49487 on: January 21, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #49488 on: January 21, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »
one second after the first accusation everyone seemed to come right out and say it was an "open secret". seems like everyone knew but pretended not to have any idea cause he had money. now it's "how could anyone know?".

weird.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #49489 on: January 21, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »
If anything Hillary Clinton deserves a second shot  :like
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #49490 on: January 21, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
that's "hillary clinton, national treasure" to you, dutchie :wag

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #49491 on: January 21, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »
seems like another lie by noted terf, racist, and slaveowner hillary clinton (national treasure) to me.

Himu

« Reply #49492 on: January 21, 2020, 02:23:58 PM »
holy fuck sekulow

"what happened in the past happened in the past"

IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #49493 on: January 21, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »
Hilary obviously had no idea about the depravities of her extremely close associates.

She just knew about the Rwandan children chained at the bottom of that pizza place :rodney
[close]
Margs

kingv

« Reply #49494 on: January 21, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »
Holy shit, she actually equated the Bernie/Warren armageddon with trump garbage:

Clinton said Sanders' conduct was part of a pattern.
"Then this argument about whether or not or when he did or didn't say that a woman couldn't be elected, it's part of a pattern," she told the THR. "If it were a one-off, you might say, 'OK, fine.' But he said I was unqualified. I had a lot more experience than he did, and got a lot more done than he had, but that was his attack on me.

She continued, "I just think people need to pay attention because we want, hopefully, to elect a president who's going to try to bring us together, and not either turn a blind eye, or actually reward the kind of insulting, attacking, demeaning, degrading behavior that we've seen from this current administration."

she really is abuelita that noone should listen to.

She’s so incredibly petty and sad.

Bernie campaigned more for her in the rust belt than she did for herself.

Himu

« Reply #49495 on: January 21, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
WHAT IS GOING ON

The White House counsel is making me go crazy
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #49496 on: January 21, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »
That Clinton quote makes me imagine a school lunchroom, where Bernie walks in every day holding his tray and every table he walks to they say the seat is saved for someone else. After being rejected numerous times he slumps down next to the table way in the dark corner where Ted Cruz sits.

Himu

« Reply #49497 on: January 21, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
A subpoena is a threat?!

lmao
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #49498 on: January 21, 2020, 02:39:21 PM »
I AM BEING GASLIT
IYKYK

Himu