Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5443355 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #33060 on: March 22, 2019, 10:35:38 PM »
Mueller’s report was just submitted to Barr.

How long will it take Roseanne to read it?

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #33061 on: March 22, 2019, 11:17:27 PM »
Turned on MSNBC to see how they were covering it. Lawrence O'Donnell was asking his guest to use his personal knowledge of Mueller to guess how many pages the report was. Turned off MSNBC.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #33062 on: March 23, 2019, 12:18:03 AM »
He predicts that the departure of Jews from the Democratic Party “is going to take time,” but that it will come, especially as Trump continues to be what Epshteyn calls "an unequivocal friend" to Israel, and while Democrats allow their own friendship with Israel to fray. Epshteyn adds that the loss will be not only of Jewish voters, but also of Jewish donors. "What kind of successful Jewish businessman," he wonders, "would give money to the party of Ilhan Omar?"

:doge

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-jews-caught-between-ilhan-omar-and-donald-trump-are-lost-in-a-wilderness-200030895.html

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33063 on: March 23, 2019, 02:06:08 AM »
The entire plan to win over Jewish voters is to use Muslims as a wedge. Also the basis of the most frequent "plan" to win over LGBTQ voters. Similar to how they'd win over black voters in the aughts by... using LGBTQ issues as a wedge.

Their entire playbook is just one big fractal based off the southern strategy.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
To be fair these are probably not real efforts so much as public arguments made for the benefit of white Christian conservative audiences, to reassure them that they're Not Racist and actually it's the Democrats who are exploiting these minority groups blah blah plantation mentality blah blah.
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33064 on: March 23, 2019, 02:19:40 AM »
The Jewish vote has held steady around 70% for the Dems since I can remember.

The actual shift I'm looking for is to see if Netanyahu does to Israel as an issue in American politics what the NRA has done with gun rights: ditching a bipartisan strategy and tying themselves to one side of the culture warz. I think they could have basically kept going with occupation and increasing settlements forever, and as long as they paid some lip service to the "peace process" there would have been no major backlash from the US, but Bibi couldn't bring himself to do even that.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33065 on: March 23, 2019, 04:20:33 AM »
This Ken Starr op-ed is not bad as a pertinent insight, regardless of what you may think of the man or the fact that himself and others linked to his special prosecution (Kavanaugh) all seem to have flipped opinions about that stuff ever since they finished their work.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/ken-starr-muellers-report-shouldnt-go-congress/585577/
ὕβρις

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #33066 on: March 23, 2019, 04:24:13 AM »
The dynamics of Israeli politicians are very interesting, in a nauseating sort of way. It's jarring how openly Arab Israelis are discussed as an existential threat to the survival of the state. It's like if Mitch McConnell started talking about the Great Replacement.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33067 on: March 23, 2019, 04:31:22 AM »
Mike Gravel is considering running again :american

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33068 on: March 23, 2019, 05:03:05 AM »
The dynamics of Israeli politicians are very interesting, in a nauseating sort of way. It's jarring how openly Arab Israelis are discussed as an existential threat to the survival of the state. It's like if Mitch McConnell started talking about the Great Replacement.

I imagine it's similar to what the discourse would have been in the US if the indigenous population hadn't been decimated. Which probably isn't a comparison most residents of either country would want to hear.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33069 on: March 23, 2019, 06:28:36 AM »
Maddow nearly cried on air so the GOP has started with their victory lap

:lol

According to Hannity Manafort, Flynn, Cohen and Stone had nothing to do with Trump or the campaign. LMAO  :rofl

Hannity: "Why wouldn't anyone think about the children tax dodgers  :'("
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:34:36 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33071 on: March 23, 2019, 10:47:18 AM »
I guess that Trump impeachment that was totally going to happen isn’t going to happen now.
©@©™

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #33073 on: March 23, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »
Isn’t it kinda weird how Trump hasn’t tweeted anything about the Mueller report? Even though he hasn’t read it, you’d expect him to be gloating about how he’s innocent and the report will prove that.

Tripon

« Reply #33074 on: March 23, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »
A Fox News reporter cited a major promoter of QAnon on-air Friday morning, exposing the network’s viewers to the pro-Trump conspiracy theory.

In a Fox & Friends First segment on Donald Trump’s new executive order on campus free speech, Fox reporter Carley Shimkus read a tweet from @QAnon76, a significant QAnon account on Twitter that has more than 160,000 followers.

Shimkus cited @QAnon76 as one of the Twitter users praising Trump’s new executive order, reading the tweet on-air as Fox put the Twitter handle on-screen.

“Do not for one second, underestimate the significance of this EO,” the tweet read. “Thank you POTUS for reestablishing and preserving FREE SPEECH rights for ALL students.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-and-friends-first-promotes-pro-trump-qanon-conspiracy-theorist?ref=home

:lol

How in the hell is this bleeding out into the mainstream?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33075 on: March 23, 2019, 11:54:27 AM »
Do not for one second, underestimate the significance of this like

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #33076 on: March 23, 2019, 12:39:23 PM »
Q ordered it done ;)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33077 on: March 23, 2019, 12:46:26 PM »
Isn’t it kinda weird how Trump hasn’t tweeted anything about the Mueller report? Even though he hasn’t read it, you’d expect him to be gloating about how he’s innocent and the report will prove that.

Enjoy the silence. Because I have a feeling that when he'll tweet it's gonna be like a dam breaking.
ὕβρις

Tripon

« Reply #33078 on: March 23, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »
Trump is at Mar-A-Lago right now, he's probably just partying it up. Wait until the Sunday shows start talking about it, and he'll tweet 50 times in a day again.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #33080 on: March 23, 2019, 07:06:25 PM »

Enjoy the silence. Because I have a feeling that when he'll tweet it's gonna be like a dam breaking.

I have fully refundable tickets for flights leaving the US every hour from now until Wednesday.

When the civil war starts, I will be sipping on champagne on a flight to a safe location
:O

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33083 on: March 23, 2019, 11:29:42 PM »

i'll pass
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33084 on: March 24, 2019, 01:22:12 AM »

nothingburger  :delicious

if they investigated israeli collusion, whole trump family would be in jail by now  :trumps

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33085 on: March 24, 2019, 04:25:25 AM »
I admit it. This is a cute picture.

每天生气

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #33086 on: March 24, 2019, 05:20:57 AM »
Dude spent the day golfing with Kid Rock. :doge
Hi

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33088 on: March 24, 2019, 09:18:43 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/ken-starr-muellers-report-shouldnt-go-congress/585577/

I posted it too. I think it's informative and there's something to consider on the matter of the confidentiality of such a report. Steele didn't think it was very pertinent for his dossier to be made public and I can see the rationale (though I guess the Mueller report is probably more factual and drier than a compilation of intelligence gossips). It's hard to escape the media circus effect nowadays despite the very impressive discipline and retenue exhibited by Mueller and his team. I don't think it would be unreasonable to argue that the Departement of Justice only provide a solid lengthy summary to the public.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

kingv

« Reply #33090 on: March 24, 2019, 11:15:39 AM »

I posted it too. I think it's informative and there's something to consider on the matter of the confidentiality of such a report. Steele didn't think it was very pertinent for his dossier to be made public and I can see the rationale (though I guess the Mueller report is probably more factual and drier than a compilation of intelligence gossips). It's hard to escape the media circus effect nowadays despite the very impressive discipline and retenue exhibited by Mueller and his team. I don't think it would be unreasonable to argue that the Departement of Justice only provide a solid lengthy summary to the public.

Only if you accept that the DOJ would operate in good faith.

« Reply #33091 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
So after 3 years of hype, if Mueller clears Trump what are the optics gonna be going into election season? Will the media and voters suddenly start thinking the economy has actually been pretty good under Trump, his distinguished mentally-challenged foreign policy hasn't actually cost them and actually has had some gains like whatever the new NAFTA is and tearing up JCPOA while Iran maintains it?

Already starting to get worried he is gonna get reelected.

kingv

« Reply #33092 on: March 24, 2019, 01:23:51 PM »
In all honesty, I think the Mueller report barely moves the needle no matter what it actually says.

The idea of Trump being “exonerated” is foreign to me. There is plenty in the public record that is damning enough to at least suggest the idea that he was acting inappropriately with respect to Russia (and other countries) whether or not he technically committed a crime.

If the full report is not released, the argument will just shift to “what are they hiding?”

If the full report is released, I find it nigh impossible that there are not a number of details in it that paint an unflattering portrait of Trump and those in his campaign, and the argument will just shift to that.

In my view the report will likely actually contain very little new information as we largely know the broad strokes of the big picture. Trump was trying to develop Trump Tower Moscow during the election, and had a potential payout of millions of dollars stemming from that. Trump was trying to curry favor with Putin during the election possibly because of that. His campaign was willing to accept a meeting with Russian officials ostensibly to gather dirt on Hillary Clinton and in that meeting discussed lifting sanctions on Russia. His campaign manager was giving briefings to people connected to Russian intelligence about the campaign, including sharing polling data. Presumably  Russian intelligence was using that information to enhance their disinformation campaign.

I think there’s arguments to be had about whether those are crimes, should be crimes, and/or whether Mueller is too cautious in choosing to prosecute. But I don’t think the report will actually contradict any of those facts. They are all basically from the Mueller indictments themselves.

james

« Reply #33093 on: March 24, 2019, 02:01:46 PM »
Hillary investigation found her innocent of all charges.

Didn't help her

Tripon

« Reply #33094 on: March 24, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »

When will America be great again? And what made America great?

BisMarckie

« Reply #33096 on: March 24, 2019, 03:52:21 PM »

When will America be great again? And what made America great?

Who gives a shit. Where can I get this shirt?

kingv

« Reply #33097 on: March 24, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/repjerrynadler/status/1109902268743196674

Narrator: Eric Garland, breathes a sigh of relief, bumps an adderall and prepares for some game theory.

Tripon

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #33099 on: March 24, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »
I struggle to see Trump losing in 2020.
püp

james

« Reply #33100 on: March 24, 2019, 04:23:51 PM »
We investigated ourselves and found no wrong doing

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33101 on: March 24, 2019, 04:32:36 PM »
I must have asked 5 times on Resetera what crime they think the meeting with Russia entailed, or really any of the "known" things and never got an answer.

This investigation is going to reveal a ton of shit, already has, but the Russia stuff wasn't going to get Trump and company directly in trouble.  The left focusing on that was a huge mistake, as the public will in fact sudenly think Trump is fully vindicated despite being a criminal.

Not a US citizen or a lawyer but wasn't the gist of it that accepting documents that were obviously the results of a crime for the benefit of your campaign possibly criminal ? That's why so much of it centered around the timeline of the hacks by "Guccifer" and whether Stone and others had advance knowledge of it.

They also indicted 12 Russians for election interference, I would imagine coordinating with those obviously illegal efforts would count as some form of conspiracy.

But yeah obviously I don't disagree that the discourse on Russia has gone way too far. It was already hysteria even at the height of the Komintern, facts were never going to live up to that frenzy.
ὕβρις

james

« Reply #33102 on: March 24, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
Once again its all about the economy.

If you love your country, you better hope for an economic crash this fall.

The more homeless republicans, the better. For the greater good.

james

« Reply #33103 on: March 24, 2019, 04:52:31 PM »
James literally spouting RE talking points

No you have it reversed, they get their talking points from me.

I have a newsletter that goes out every day at 7am, you should subscribe. We had a special 4:30pm edition today for obvious reason.

james

« Reply #33104 on: March 24, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »
i am dum
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:33:32 PM by Great Rumbler »

agrajag

« Reply #33105 on: March 24, 2019, 04:59:08 PM »
pretty shitty even by your standards.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #33106 on: March 24, 2019, 05:01:27 PM »
Wow another Parkland student committed suicide right before the report came out. How did they get the news in advance?

Eat shit
püp

james

« Reply #33107 on: March 24, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »
pretty shitty even by your standards.

Sorry I was channeling the Benji energy in the room.

Wasnt there some thread or news about how some old dude was sad he was dying before the Mueller report?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33108 on: March 24, 2019, 05:14:39 PM »
Just to add on the previous post, Dems kinda distanced themselves from that Russian angle or at least didn't want to campaign solely on it. It was really more of a diffuse thing and it's hard to pin responsibility for it, it gained a lot of traction because of the glamour and allure. And the fact there's some evidence for it obviously. It's hard to believe there's nothing there, honestly.
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #33109 on: March 24, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
Just to add on the previous post, Dems kinda distanced themselves from that Russian angle or at least didn't want to campaign solely on it. It was really more of a diffuse thing and it's hard to pin responsibility for it, it gained a lot of traction because of the glamour and allure. And the fact there's some evidence for it obviously. It's hard to believe there's nothing there, honestly.

Pelosi distances herself from impeachment talk a while ago and was catching a lot of heat from the #resistance crowd.

benjipwns

« Reply #33110 on: March 24, 2019, 05:27:40 PM »
that dummy Tom Steyer is still threatening to use whatever it costs to primary Dems who don't support impeachment now, even though the problem can just be solved in a superior way (no Senate trial, no Pence) by beating Trump in the same election cycle :doge

Tripon

james

« Reply #33112 on: March 24, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »
Why is the NYT going with "Mueller Finds No Trump-Russia Conspiracy but Stops Short of Exonerating President on Obstruction" instead of "Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia" as their headline?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33113 on: March 24, 2019, 05:48:09 PM »

Pelosi distances herself from impeachment talk a while ago and was catching a lot of heat from the #resistance crowd.

I didn't like how she worded it ("not worth it") but I guess it was unimpeachable politics wise that the Senate would never act on it unless Trump passes some farcical level of obvious criminality. I'm not sure the party really made it a tip of the spear argument (certainly by the midterms). I think some activists were a little too eager to finally turn the table on the GOP's monopoly on "patriotism".
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #33114 on: March 24, 2019, 05:49:16 PM »
I struggle to see Trump losing in 2020.

He remains a deeply divisive and unpopular President.

I don’t see this report changing that at all. I bet he sees a temporary bump in polling but with 90 days it will look about like it does today.

I think the outcome of the Russia investigation was very important for Trumps electability in 2017... but now it just there is so much other shit that Russia is just one of many elements to why people don’t like him.

Tripon

james

« Reply #33116 on: March 24, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
I dont know guys, Trump goes against everything I stand for, but I sure love voting for a winner. How can I not vote for him now? I think the winning will rub off on me. Some kind of trickle down rub off.

kingv

« Reply #33118 on: March 24, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »
If you think about it, the idea that Trump bumbled into the appearance of a wide-ranging criminal conspiracy, and then continually reinforced that belief for two years through a pattern of needless lying, incompetence, bad judgment, and poor impulse control is actually Peak Trump.

benjipwns