Author Topic: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense  (Read 102643 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense
« Reply #840 on: December 03, 2019, 05:10:25 AM »
If you've played Amnesia: The Dark Descent you've basically played 95% of modern horror games. PT basically used that template but with obtuse puzzles cause he enjoys the idea of gamers coming together to solve stuff.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #841 on: December 03, 2019, 07:10:44 AM »
PT is like one of those bands that gets popular due to good timing and not actual talent or whatever and then the lead singer ODs and dies so we don't get to see them flame out.
I mean it genuinely has some good ideas and some great scares, for what it is.
It's just not this revolutionary achievement outside of its marketing exploits.
And it's a bit sad that a lot of zoomers will associate Silent Hill more with it and Kojima, than any of the original games, but that is Konami's fault for making them almost impossible to obtain and run in 2019.

That's fair I guess. I never got to play it and I never watched any video of it. Survival Horror games have always felt like someone took all those terrible PC point and click adventure games and decided what they needed were bad controls, inventory management, abusive save systems and zombies. I don't need Gabriel Knight with tank controls in my life.
PT isn't even a survival horror game, it's basically a rollercoaster ride type game, like Layers of Fear or whatever, where essentially you do nothing but look around, minimal interaction and usually can't even die.
It's set piece after set piece, some of them are cool, but then they tend to get boring and predictable, which is why PT mostly works (being, like, 30 minutes).

Survival Horror as a genre has more evolved into the likes of RE2 Remake, or even Evil Within or Last of Us.

kingv

« Reply #842 on: December 03, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »
PT stopped being scary when my friend and I sat there whispering Jareth into the microphone for 30 minutes trying to get the final event to trigger.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #843 on: December 03, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »
PT stopped being scary when my friend and I sat there whispering Jareth into the microphone for 30 minutes trying to get the final event to trigger.
Thankfully that's the very end of the demo.  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #844 on: December 04, 2019, 08:50:20 PM »
Death Stranding
:nope

Man Standing
:ohyeah

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1201840/MAN_STANDING/?fbclid=IwAR0lH40bzQXCdh-2KPBZrHdLOge_k-SwcngvzNlGLVFKvjxVyyIljTdOWNk

It may seem that the game borrows many mechanics from another game - we, of course, are talking about Hevy Reyn. But do not rush to judge! Hevy Reyn has a completely different story - there was a detective maniac (sorry for the spoiler!) And the main character was looking for his children. And there it was necessary to pass all kinds of tests and all that. But we do not have such tests, and there are no maniacs either! And we don’t have qte either. And we have a completely different setting - in Hevy Reyn it’s not a post apocalypse, but we have a post apocalypse (when the world is after the apocalypse!) !. Do you remember the moment in Hevy Reyn when you had to drive in an oncoming car to find your son (Sean)? So there you go! We do not have this moment either! Therefore, please do not say that this game is similar to Hevy Reyn - this is not at all!
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #845 on: December 04, 2019, 08:57:08 PM »
System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i9
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2080 TI
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 1 GB available space
Sound Card: Any
Additional Notes: *it is uncertain

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3600
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 64
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 1 GB available space
Sound Card: Any
Additional Notes: AMD Radeon Vega 64 is out of stock

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #846 on: December 05, 2019, 05:57:30 AM »
1GB storage? Revolutionary compression technology!
Oh i see, it just saves the game into the VRAM.

bluemax

« Reply #847 on: December 05, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »
PT is like one of those bands that gets popular due to good timing and not actual talent or whatever and then the lead singer ODs and dies so we don't get to see them flame out.
I mean it genuinely has some good ideas and some great scares, for what it is.
It's just not this revolutionary achievement outside of its marketing exploits.
And it's a bit sad that a lot of zoomers will associate Silent Hill more with it and Kojima, than any of the original games, but that is Konami's fault for making them almost impossible to obtain and run in 2019.

That's fair I guess. I never got to play it and I never watched any video of it. Survival Horror games have always felt like someone took all those terrible PC point and click adventure games and decided what they needed were bad controls, inventory management, abusive save systems and zombies. I don't need Gabriel Knight with tank controls in my life.
PT isn't even a survival horror game, it's basically a rollercoaster ride type game, like Layers of Fear or whatever, where essentially you do nothing but look around, minimal interaction and usually can't even die.
It's set piece after set piece, some of them are cool, but then they tend to get boring and predictable, which is why PT mostly works (being, like, 30 minutes).

Survival Horror as a genre has more evolved into the likes of RE2 Remake, or even Evil Within or Last of Us.

So it's basically an early VR game but not in VR.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:33:15 PM by bluemax »
NO

kingv

« Reply #848 on: December 07, 2019, 11:36:38 AM »
Beat this last night, and it’s the most kojima-ass kojima story ever, but honestly, I liked it. It’s ridiculous, with some really awful dialogue in places, but it also has some beautiful scenes and interesting twists that are pretty decent fun if you haven’t spoiled them for yourself. I still have some questions though:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems sort of implied that bringing Sam back accelerated or started the death stranding. Like, Amelie made it worse by trying to prevent it. They said something about when Sam came back is when the death stranding started.... but there was also a void out before in New York, but it seems like only one.

- i didn’t quite get the significance of the mask... “it does more than hide my face? Uh, ok, what else does it do? Why does the gold one let Higgs control amelie?
- Amelie’s motivations don’t really make sense. I think if she was better written, she could have been a better character.
- how did Sam not notice Lou didn’t have a hang down? Who the fuck is Lou? I guess he’s just a random BB unit, and not otherwise important.
- I thought Sam might be a BB because there were clues about that (especially in the trailers) but didn’t think that he would be the Clifford Unger BB. That was good twist, and Mads was by far the best actor in this, so that part was pretty good.

Corny shit:
- the whole Lockne Maligne thing was lol. So kojima. Needed more gratuitous titty though for no reason.
- the line “I’m fra-JILE but I’m not that fra-zheel” is hilarious, and I will quote it a lot to my gaming friends. Also, “you’re damaged goods!”
- the part where dead man looks like he’s going to force himself on Sam in the shower.
[close]

At the end, I really enjoyed it and am glad I didn’t pass on it. I really appreciate that it has a 100% complete story with no sequel baiting. That is so unusual in video games nowadays that aren’t RPG’s.

I don’t think the story is as bad as some are saying, but the plotting and especially the dialogue is kind of bad. Imo the game could have been a lot better if they had a better writer tightening up the general idea of the game. The broad story arc and theme I think are fine and interesting, but a lot of element landed kind of flat because the execution was not great or the dialogue was weak.

Svejk

« Reply #849 on: December 07, 2019, 01:38:13 PM »
I just got to Chapter 6 last night.. Kinda relying on delivery bots more... Fuckit, I'll take B or C ranks... Want to stick with main quests mostly to see where this is heading.

kingv

« Reply #850 on: December 07, 2019, 03:34:05 PM »
I just got to Chapter 6 last night.. Kinda relying on delivery bots more... Fuckit, I'll take B or C ranks... Want to stick with main quests mostly to see where this is heading.

The delivery bots give you fuck all for the advancing of the connection meter. It seems like way way lower tot he point where I’m not really sure the bots are even worth using.

Svejk

« Reply #851 on: December 07, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
Yeah, they don't.. I should just let the side missions just sit there in case I decide to do then later... But I figure I won't, so just send them... And listen to them start singing. Lol

Svejk

« Reply #852 on: December 09, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »
Trucking along to Chapter 8.  Chapter 7 was some MGS combat goodness.. albeit shallow, still fun and action packed.  The change of pace has been welcome.  This game is good.

kingv

« Reply #853 on: December 09, 2019, 04:42:34 PM »
You’ll probably fly through the last couple of chapters. The game picks up a ton after chapter 3 and just keeps picking up pace.

Svejk

« Reply #854 on: December 09, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »
Looking forward to it  :)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #855 on: December 10, 2019, 05:58:24 AM »

Svejk

« Reply #856 on: December 13, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »
Been trying to figure out how to change Sam's suit color for the longest time... Gave up and decided to look it up...  You have to beat the game before you can do that..   
Really??  Good or not, I'm not planning on playing through this again, Kojima.   :foodcourt

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #857 on: December 13, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »
What

kingv

« Reply #858 on: December 13, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »
Been trying to figure out how to change Sam's suit color for the longest time... Gave up and decided to look it up...  You have to beat the game before you can do that..   
Really??  Good or not, I'm not planning on playing through this again, Kojima.   :foodcourt

After you beat the game you can just keep playing, like if you want to close out sub quests or complete roads or whatever while stunting on em in head to toe pink.

Svejk

« Reply #859 on: December 16, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
Finished Chapter 11 last night.  Can't believe how the pacing in the game has ramped up.  Really starting to get those good ol' Kojima vibes...

And boss battle after boss battle... Shits kinda crazy.
 :rejoice 

bluemax

NO

Svejk

« Reply #861 on: December 24, 2019, 09:04:46 AM »
Got to "Episode 15" at 4:45am.  Looks like Monster Energy contract ran up, cuz now the drank is Porter brew.  Not sure if that was part of the latest update or if that's an endgame change.
So I technically beat it, but there's still some epilogue it seems? 

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #862 on: December 24, 2019, 09:29:24 AM »
It becomes porter brew after one of the missions.

kingv

« Reply #863 on: December 24, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »
The epilogue is just basically like... new game plus, sort of. You can just continue to play the game and deliver packages, but there is no more story in chapter 15 afaik.

Svejk

« Reply #864 on: December 24, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »
Ah, ok so..
"the Inauguration mission" is basically a free mode so to speak?  There's no real ending to said mission?
Just curious for trophy purposes.
[close]

thetylerrob

« Reply #865 on: December 24, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »
I’ll have the soundtrack in my playlists for awhile. It’s still a really great game if you can enjoy the gameplay and story. I don’t think most will be comfortable talking about it in a goty conversation.

Svejk

« Reply #866 on: December 24, 2019, 07:03:56 PM »
Overall I thought it was a pretty good, unique experience.  I enjoyed my time with it all the way to the end; flaws, missteps and all.. However, it's certainly a game of have no interest in going back to.  I'm done with it.  It's certainly no Grandmasterpiece like Snatcher or MGS1, but still a good Kojima title imo.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #867 on: December 25, 2019, 04:50:19 AM »
The point where people said it was supposed to get more enjoyable actively ruined most of the fun I had with the game. Should've leaned way harder on that traversing is a struggle shit.

Once you get the powerlegs any semblance of challenge goes out of the window. Just holding the two trigger buttons while pressing forward already ruined most of the challenge before you even got to that point.

Papers, Please did the "turning mundane thing into videogame concept" a lot better.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #868 on: December 25, 2019, 05:08:58 AM »
I think the names alone make the game good  :delicious

Samantha America Strand  :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Kojima must’ve hit himself in the head with a hammer before coming up with them  :duh
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

kingv

« Reply #870 on: December 25, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
The point where people said it was supposed to get more enjoyable actively ruined most of the fun I had with the game. Should've leaned way harder on that traversing is a struggle shit.

Once you get the powerlegs any semblance of challenge goes out of the window. Just holding the two trigger buttons while pressing forward already ruined most of the challenge before you even got to that point.

Papers, Please did the "turning mundane thing into videogame concept" a lot better.

I kind of agree with that, though if you haven’t gotten to the really snowy parts, traversing there is notably harder.

But overall, I felt like the most compelling gameplay was just straight up traversing and building/finding stuff to make it easier to traverse. Any time you are forced into interacting with BTs or mules kind of just ends up sucking

Ultimately, I feel like kojima was scared the game without the conflict from enemies would be too boring so he shoehorned in some combat scenarios. I wish he had the confidence to just go full out into the logistics thing, it was unique

Svejk

« Reply #871 on: December 25, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
One of the big things I liked about it was that it felt like it had proper closure... No need for a follow up.  (Please don't, Kojima). It left me satisfied enough that I look equally forward to his next project, assuming it's another new IP.  Which based off his recent tweets, seems to be the case.

kingv

« Reply #872 on: December 25, 2019, 12:13:21 PM »
Yeah, I like that too. First kojima game in a long time (maybe ever) that has a complete story.

Also, like Dante, I think it’s his most coherent story since probably MGS1. Best thing kojima could do (for us) at this point is just continue to make one off games. His name is enough to carry a new up. Even if some are just ok and not great, plenty of people will check them out.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #873 on: December 25, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »
I feel like coherent is the wrong term for a story so simple that it can be described in like four sentences being told across multiple movies worth of cutscenes. :lol

kingv

« Reply #874 on: December 25, 2019, 05:37:29 PM »
I still couldn’t tell you all the moving parts in any of the metal gear solid games.

The la li lu le lo, philosophers legacy, etc. it’s all just so convoluted and basically just nonsense.

At least I can explain the plot to Death stranding. Mgs4 or even MGS5, I can’t.

I didn’t find the plot to Death Stranding bad, it’s just the scripting is crappy and the acting. It has bad dialogue over explains itself, and most of the acting is corny. But it’s no worse than any other kojima game and probably better than most of them.

paprikastaude

« Reply #875 on: December 26, 2019, 11:01:59 PM »
damn I don't even play online but this game is fun whenever it has the mercy to shut the fuck up. also feels a little more handholdey than MGS5 in that regard.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 02:58:56 PM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

« Reply #876 on: December 27, 2019, 04:31:19 PM »
I never thought traversing land just to deliver packages would be fun, but it is in this game.  Some missions, and the preparation for them alone, really make you feel like you're about to go an expedition.  Building roads that you get to haul ass on feels like such an accomplishment.  I don't play online either, but I love how it utilized the online function.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #877 on: December 29, 2019, 04:51:10 AM »
I’m only on chapter 3 but does the game stop restricting you giving likes  :drool

Let me give like to my hearts content Kojima :stahp
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #878 on: December 29, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
I want to say as your ranking goes up, you like window/meter gets longer.  Not 100% on that.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #879 on: December 29, 2019, 04:40:38 PM »
Turns out I was trying to like when there’s a load of signs in one area and it was getting confused/not registering
(ice)

kingv

« Reply #880 on: December 29, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
Was playing with my buddy last night and 1) you can bolo BTs 2) you can piss on them to escape.

Svejk

« Reply #881 on: December 29, 2019, 06:16:31 PM »
Was playing with my buddy last night and 1) you can bolo BTs 2) you can piss on them to escape.
I didn't know about the bolo gun working on BT's, but I'd full-on R. Kelly them all the time.

paprikastaude

« Reply #882 on: December 29, 2019, 08:01:25 PM »
tfw you get over some waterfall in the midst of nowhere with only 1 ladder :rejoice

kingv

« Reply #883 on: December 29, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »
I didn't know about the bolo gun working on BT's, but I'd full-on R. Kelly them all the time.

(Image removed from quote.)

At the end of the game the move for me was to run through bt areas with blood grenades and throw them at your feet. Never thought about whipping out my strand and making em a beach.

Bebpo

« Reply #884 on: December 30, 2019, 12:43:01 AM »
Got back to this today after a couple week break to play Control, The Messenger and finish 13 Sentinels. Did Ch.6?

Spent all day making zip line routes from every station to another across the entire snow mountain and then one down the back mountain to the weather station (which I'll link to the main road I rebuilt between South and North knott). My greatest accomplishment was taking the zipline route down from the Mountaineer to the base of the mountain at the base of the river where there's a private room on my game with vehicles to transfer to across the flat swampland. Since I had all the zip routes setup I did a lot of the standard orders as I was going between them and got a lot of stars and neat gear and files.

Was super satisfying and fun. That and the WHITEOUT part going to the spiritualist were fucking amazing. I couldn't see shit and somehow ended up on top of a ridge and my terrain tracker showed like a 100 foot drop down I had to go past. So I threw down and anchor and started going down and then my floating carrier carrying the fucking rocks just DROPS and snaps off and lands on some cliff mid-way down the cliff. So I have to make my way over to this tiny ledge it's on and and switch to power suit and grab it all on my back including the carrier and then anchor down and re-deploy. EMERGENT GAMEPLAY.

Also the graphics in this snow mountain are fucking insane. Zipping around it just looks nuts and the whiteout holy shit. Now that I played through Control I can say while that has great art, I really think Death Stranding has the best art/gfx of anything this year. Then when I got to the WWII part it was like how the fuck did they push out these visuals. Just blows me away and feels like a 1000 person dev team, 5 year game like Rockstar would make in the visual fidelity of it all. Kojima's team are incredible artists.

And I thought the gun play was pretty satisfying in the WWII bit. Ran out of assault rifles and switched to shotgun right when these guys rushed me and took them all out in a pretty satisfying way.

[close]

Anyhow still absolutely loving this. Gonna hold off figuring out my top10 list until I clear this in the next week or two. Feel like it'll probably be my GoTY. Just feels like such a huge epic adventure with so many great moments. Even building roads is really satisfying, especially when you get a lot of use out of them and other people do as well.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:58:14 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #885 on: January 01, 2020, 05:21:42 PM »
So I got to the first point in the game yesterday where I found something I dislike about it (besides the chasm area which was kinda annoying when my bike wouldn't make the jump and I'd fall and crash and baby would cry), I was continuing to expand my zip line network with each new station I got to in ch.7 and I ran out of chiral network bandwith because those ziplines eat up 500 each and if you need 3 between spots that's like 1,500. So I had to start grinding standard orders to get stars up (which I'd largely ignored until this point and only done standard orders if I was on my way somewhere anyhow and could carry the extra stuff) and that got kinda boring/draining fast, especially with a well built zipline network because you're just hitting X for 3 mins gliding across ziplines to get to your location. And then you get a star up and they give you an extra like 250 bandwith which doesn't help much.

Basically got a little burnt out when I stopped progressing/exploring and started grinding. As long as I was ignoring the grind stuff and just moving forward I love the adventure so I need to get back to that which is my plan for today. Most of my early settlements are still under 3 stars because I never did standard orders which might be why I'm hitting the cap. I've got about 24,000 bandwith total at this point.

Anyhow duckroll gave me a tip for standard orders to look at the estimated likes and only do the ones that give large likes w/premium delivery because that will up the stars up the fastest. I never looked at the estimated likes so some of the orders I'd do would give like 1/8th of a star which would feel like a grind.

I did finish connecting my mountain zipline network to distro center south of lake knott on the main road so between zips and cars I can move basically anything up to 300 weight easily and within a few minutes.

In retrospect though I think the game would be better served if the chiral bandwith cap wasn't connected to stars. Leave the gear upgrades and database files and cosmetic items for upping stars. Those are fun and satisfying rewards for doing them. But all optional. Whereas the chiral cap is sorta necessary for progression and when tied creates a bit of a grind there which the main story progression would be better off without. Death Stranding works best when the gameplay is about what you want to do. Do you want to connect these areas? Do you want to make this run? You should never be forced to do anything outside the main missions which take you to new areas/challenges. This is just a minor gripe though. I got a little burned out yesterday but excited to play today on the holiday and get back to progression.

Svejk

« Reply #886 on: January 01, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
Up until Chapter 4, I did practically every side order possible... Once to Chapter 5 or so, I kind of b-lined a decent bit... Just wanted to see where it was all going.  Besides getting better gear, half the time I'd eventually find better gear and/or get some from the share lockers... Most my lvl 3 gear was taken, not earned. :betty. Thanks everyone!  I donated what I could as well.  :D

Bebpo

« Reply #887 on: January 01, 2020, 05:44:37 PM »
Yeah I've been rocking a speed skeleton lvl.3 for a while I found and I can only make a lvl.1. I hope it never breaks  :lol

paprikastaude

« Reply #888 on: January 01, 2020, 08:22:35 PM »
That story though :neogaf Just let me climb your vistas.

Bebpo

« Reply #889 on: January 02, 2020, 02:59:44 AM »
so I spent NY day off playing all day. Got like 8-9 hours in  :doge
and made 0 progress  :wtf
not sure how I feel about that  :doge

Basically, rebuilt all the roads in the entire map now that I had a lot of mats everywhere (loading up trucks with mats) from being pretty far in and I ran dozens of standard missions everywhere while doing that. Got a bunch of places to 5 stars, and the optional novelist son area that helped me finish the roads over there. Brought my bandwith cap up to something between 27,000-28,000 and the roads let me get rid of a bunch of ziplines I didn't need because of the roads and so I'm down to ~20k usage giving me like 7,000 overhead now. Even spent 2 ziplines going north from Spiritualist to the station by the incinerator because there were 2 online zips in that direction anyhow and it's a shortcut, but could clear them and have 8,000 free if needed.

I have an addictive personality with games and with DS it really easy to just keep going and doing runs and building out the roads and ziplines so you have perfect routes to everywhere, which is kinda dangerous for game time  :doge
but it also feels like kinda a waste of time for a bunch of busywork doing that stuff afterwards.

At this point since I have a ton of chiral bandwith overhead I think I'm good to get back and finish up the story. But I also kinda want to finish this map with perfect road or zip routes to every single station  :thinking

The only stations I don't have easy connections to are 1) Timefall Farm, and 2) Junk Dealer & Chiral Artist. I don't think there's auto-pavers for either of those areas? So I'm guessing if just put up ziplines from south knott to Timefall Farm across the river (seems closer than going from Weather Station ziplines) and same with Junker Dealer/Chiral with a zipline from south knott to junk dealer and then from junk dealer to chiral artist, that would finish it every place connected so far. And probably only take me about 6 ziplines or less which is 3,000 bandwith so I'm good for that (plus I'd get more from bringing those 3 up from 2 stars a bit).

then there's still the whole 1st map, but given how addictive & time consuming connecting this main map out is I'm not gonna touch that until I finish the story so I don't end up spending dozens of hours on it.

Bebpo

« Reply #890 on: January 02, 2020, 06:52:15 AM »
lol, played a few more hours before sleep and yeah zip route to timefall farms (this was kinda a pain to set up with the mule camp right where I needed to set up a zip line), zip route to chiral artist -> junk dealer -> film director -> elder with a cut back to south distro before elder and a junction one stop to collector. Everyone is now connected and feels good! This is the kind of game where you gotta set your own goals and I really wanted to connect everyone so far. At around 27k / 29k bandwith so cutting it close but shouldn't have to build much more. All the missions seem pretty doable with this setup.

But man, I unlocked the timefall farms pizza mission with the hand carried champagne and fuck thattttttt. I already thought up a strategy in my head (one thing that's cool about this game is I'll be somewhere and think up a new strategy for moving things), but still seems like it'll be a pain in the butt and take at least like 20 mins on foot.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #891 on: January 02, 2020, 07:11:20 AM »
When do you start unlocking the cool cool shit, I’m on chapter 3 and have only just got a shitty motorbike  :fbm
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #892 on: January 02, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »
Near the end of Chapter 3, is when you get the truck, iirc.  Loading that thing up is great.

Then you'll have this playing in your head as you go...

paprikastaude

« Reply #893 on: January 03, 2020, 11:12:14 PM »
These final chapters are taking a nosedive into awfulness. This is clearly not gameplay made for bossfights. Or backtracking the entire map, half of it without items but with tons of enemies :snore
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:21:30 PM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

« Reply #894 on: January 04, 2020, 01:25:37 PM »
I'm glad the final chapters didn't drag on longer than they needed to imo.  I was ready to wrap it up and didn't seem as long as the MGS4 ending.

« Reply #895 on: January 04, 2020, 06:02:43 PM »
so I spent NY day off playing all day. Got like 8-9 hours in  :doge
and made 0 progress  :wtf
not sure how I feel about that  :doge

Basically, rebuilt all the roads in the entire map now that I had a lot of mats everywhere (loading up trucks with mats) from being pretty far in and I ran dozens of standard missions everywhere while doing that. Got a bunch of places to 5 stars, and the optional novelist son area that helped me finish the roads over there. Brought my bandwith cap up to something between 27,000-28,000 and the roads let me get rid of a bunch of ziplines I didn't need because of the roads and so I'm down to ~20k usage giving me like 7,000 overhead now. Even spent 2 ziplines going north from Spiritualist to the station by the incinerator because there were 2 online zips in that direction anyhow and it's a shortcut, but could clear them and have 8,000 free if needed.

I have an addictive personality with games and with DS it really easy to just keep going and doing runs and building out the roads and ziplines so you have perfect routes to everywhere, which is kinda dangerous for game time  :doge
but it also feels like kinda a waste of time for a bunch of busywork doing that stuff afterwards.

At this point since I have a ton of chiral bandwith overhead I think I'm good to get back and finish up the story. But I also kinda want to finish this map with perfect road or zip routes to every single station  :thinking

The only stations I don't have easy connections to are 1) Timefall Farm, and 2) Junk Dealer & Chiral Artist. I don't think there's auto-pavers for either of those areas? So I'm guessing if just put up ziplines from south knott to Timefall Farm across the river (seems closer than going from Weather Station ziplines) and same with Junker Dealer/Chiral with a zipline from south knott to junk dealer and then from junk dealer to chiral artist, that would finish it every place connected so far. And probably only take me about 6 ziplines or less which is 3,000 bandwith so I'm good for that (plus I'd get more from bringing those 3 up from 2 stars a bit).

then there's still the whole 1st map, but given how addictive & time consuming connecting this main map out is I'm not gonna touch that until I finish the story so I don't end up spending dozens of hours on it.

Junk dealer will get you speed skeleton upgrades, and chiral artist is worth bringing stuff too once in a while for the boots she gives you as a bonus reward.

Bebpo

« Reply #896 on: January 04, 2020, 07:29:16 PM »
At hour 35 and at the end of Ch.7 I decided to take a side detour and build all the roads/zip line connections, get all the optional stations connected to the network and get every station to join the UCA. In doing this I ended up gettling about 75% of them to 5 stars along the way. Finally got my last station to join the UCA just now and gametime is ~61 hours. So that was a 26 hour detour.

Now that everyone's connected, time to get back to the adventure and finish the story. Then can decide whether to finish out 5 stars on the last handful I don't have 5 stars yet for completion. Some of the side missions were pretty good and by 60 hours in and 35,000+ bandwith I had ziplines crossing everywhere with shortcuts all over. Didn't need to build any other structures besides ziplines since everyone else builds those, so spent all my bandwith on ziplines.

So far the "adventure/campaign" up to the end of ch.7 is a 10/10 experience for me.
Whereas the "side stuff" gameplay of getting everyone connected and on the UCA and to 5 stars UBI-game completion stuff that seems about 30-50 hours of content was about an 8/10 experience to me. It was fun, sorta and had some cool experiences, but had a lot of repetition and dragging bits. I'd read forums while hitting X across long zipline chains.

Hopefully the last few chapters will be 10/10 like the first 7, but will see soon! My recommendation to my past self would be to not bother with the standard missions and getting everyone connected and just stick to the campaign which is well paced.

paprikastaude

« Reply #897 on: January 04, 2020, 07:44:03 PM »
Even through the end I didn't get the basics of the story, because I thought the president was Sam's mother (and because I skipped through most non-major story bits). Only now I read up that she was only the adoptive mother, which makes everything much clearer.  :lol 

Bebpo

« Reply #898 on: January 05, 2020, 03:55:31 AM »
Whoops, guess I was at the end of ch.8, not ch.7 this whole time. Got to ch.9, good stuff. Maybe finish this up tomorrow!

Svejk

« Reply #899 on: January 05, 2020, 05:08:33 AM »
Granted, I agree with Spieler that the gameplay isn't geared for boss fights, but I still had fun fighting them.  It was a nice change up from just delivering shit.  A necessary change of pace, imo.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:44:47 AM by Svejk »