Author Topic: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense  (Read 102633 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Holy Shit this Death Stranding trailer is beautiful nonsense
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »
Expanded:

(Image removed from quote.)

So, no hand-holding.  GOOD. 

Kojima isn’t the type to handhold.

When start up a Metal Gear Solid game, you get tons of codec conversations telling you how to do stuff.  It seems like this game may not even do something along those lines?

Most if not all that is optional.

You're also in smaller areas or "intro" stages.  I would describe the beginning of MGSV as "hand-holding."  It opens up pretty quickly though.  Will be interesting to see if this game is just like "here you go- have fun!" which is what I get from that interview snippet.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2019, 08:51:03 PM »
Lol at MGSV atmosphere. The world was so dull and boring that I forgot it actually had tree areas. And I wanted to forgot as most of the game is self indulgent helio rides and boring walks to the actual meat of the game. What immersion could be had from and open world lacking character and any motivation to explore it outside of the important mission areas. The fact that you could take the open world and make MGSV just like Hitman where you are just thrown into a big mission area where you can chose where to insert and go about your way says a lot. If you think V was one of the best open world games? Well I don’t think you actually like open world games

Rahxephon91

« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »
So is Hitman. So was MGS3. So was Ground Zeros.

None of those have a boring ass open world as filler to get to that stuff.

It is not a good open world game.

You're talking about the world. No one cares about that. It's just a standard MGS area but open.

What people praise is how you interact with the world. You can plot a point of entry and everything down to the last detail. In MGS3 and GZ you have options, but not the way you can handle it in MGSV. In classic MGS the typical line is between kill or don't kill, alert or no alert and that's it.

Meanwhile in MGSV.

Thank you for proving my point??

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »
Uh...?
:huh
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2019, 09:03:26 PM »
Finding whatever hill from which I can plan my route and observe the enemies best. Destroying some generator with a bazooka from the distance to create diversion. Dragging the next best enemy out of the chaos to get info. Building me a suit for the new terrain to sneak through to the target. Get caught but within my panic grab some random jeep for escape. Try to somehow reach my helicopter, playing Final Countdown in the distance, while behind me there's chaotic gunfire and Russian swearing and alarms going off. All based completely on my choices that are given no restrictions.

=

no atmosphere

ok :juicy you can get your atmosphere from 30 minute cutscenes of Kojima fetishizing excrements then.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:08:18 PM by Spieler1 »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2019, 09:11:04 PM »
I mean actually none of that is atmosphere. You’re describing gameplay.

And all of that could have been done in Hitman like levels. Where they could give you big and more focused levels and allow you to go about your missions anyway you want. Kind of building on Ground Zeros. Instead of having pointless empty land mass. The game doesn’t even feel like an open world game.

But yeah best open world game where most of the world is boring, you don’t want to waste your time in it, and is just tedious fat to chew through to get to the meet.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:17:20 PM by Rahxephon91 »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
gameplay doesn't contribute to the tone and mood of a game?  :doge  :brain

stop being dull mate
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2019, 09:21:36 PM »
Rahx, it's not that I even disagree with everything you're saying, but-

The game doesn’t even feel like an open world game.

What?
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2019, 09:23:13 PM »
Look MGS V is awesome, but it’s awful at the same time.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2019, 10:20:06 PM »
Playing it on PC with mods is the way God intended. No reflex mode and no loadouts. :aah
and john cena's theme playing from the helicopter

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2019, 10:27:07 PM »

:jeb :miyamoto

Himu

« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2019, 10:35:27 PM »
So is Hitman. So was MGS3. So was Ground Zeros.

None of those have a boring ass open world as filler to get to that stuff.

It is not a good open world game.

You're talking about the world. No one cares about that. It's just a standard MGS area but open.

What people praise is how you interact with the world. You can plot a point of entry and everything down to the last detail. In MGS3 and GZ you have options, but not the way you can handle it in MGSV. In classic MGS the typical line is between kill or don't kill, alert or no alert and that's it.

Meanwhile in MGSV.

Thank you for proving my point??

You didn't.

Classic Metal Gear missions end when the game is completed. In MGSV  you take on individual missions with completely different goals. You can do accomplish these goals any way you choose. This makes MGSV more freeform than previous MGS which takes a more plot focused approach.

This isn't to say previous Metal Gear games lacked different approaches. But nothing compared to MGSV, because you'd have a specific target, and would be left to your devices on how to solve it.

I don't see how this is hard to understand.

Expanded:

So, no hand-holding.  GOOD. 

Kojima isn’t the type to handhold.

When start up a Metal Gear Solid game, you get tons of codec conversations telling you how to do stuff.  It seems like this game may not even do something along those lines?

Most if not all that is optional.

You're also in smaller areas or "intro" stages.  I would describe the beginning of MGSV as "hand-holding."  It opens up pretty quickly though.  Will be interesting to see if this game is just like "here you go- have fun!" which is what I get from that interview snippet.

In MGS games the most you're told are controls. The game lets you solve the rest. Take the tanker mission in MGS2 or the first room in MGS1 or the first mission in MGS3. MGS? Handhold? In what world? It tells you the controls, but by no means tells you how to solve it. In MGS3 especially since there's no radar.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2019, 10:45:51 PM »
Cindi, you’re not telling me anything I don’t know. But nothing your telling me is tied to the game being an open world game. Everything your describing could easily exist and be better in a Hitman like MGS game. Hitman throws you in a big open levels and says figure out an approach to the goal. Ground Zeros did that. MGS3 has shades of this in a linear fashion. What your describing is what happens after you’ve walked and travels through the pointless shit and gotten to the area where the mission takes place. There’s where you decide what to do. And that’s why the actual open world shit of this game is pointless. And why the game would be better off not being open world. Because there’s no point to it. You load into a mission and then say “well gotta traverse this pointless stuff”. Why they thought mixing Peace Walker’s mission structure with open world I have no idea. Game would have been better if it was an actual good open world game. Didn’t have this menu based mission structure. Your thrown in the world, survive, procure weapons and progression stuff, traverse to missions in a linear fashion, and do side stuff as you want. An open world MGS3.

Himu

« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2019, 10:49:00 PM »
GZ wasn't like that though. In GZ it ends when you save the kid. In fact, GZ is a demo and plays just like MGSV.

:yeshrug

No idea why you keep bringing up Hitman. I haven't played the new ones though so I have no frame of reference for your comparison.

In any case, I loved MGSV and thought it was a step in the right direction after 4 which ruined everything I love about MGS gameplay. Rather than allowing players options you were forced into a certain playstyle from Acts 3 and on. Only Act 1 and 2 were good from an MGS gameplay standpoint. So MGSV was a nice return to form in the gameplay sense. Especially since I didn't particularly care for PW either. Loved GZ tho.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2019, 10:54:17 PM »
GZ is like that. It gives you a big base and asks you to figure out your way through it and how to escape it. The only thing it dosent do is allow you to chose an entry way point, which I would have an expanded version allow you to do. What it also dosent do is drop you off miles from the base and have you walk to the base in a boring non-descript open world. GZ is MGSV without the open world and it was better for it.

I mention Hitman because it’s what these bad open world games(AC1, MGSV) should have been. They only “shine” when you’re doing the missions. Hitman is about building a big open environment with many options around the main mission.

MGSV is “good” to me when your assaulting the bases or areas where the missions send you. Outside of that it’s crap.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:00:18 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »
GZ is like that. It gives you a big base and asks you to figure out your way through it and how to escape it.

This is the same as previous MGS though because it's one location.

I think the issue here is that you like the way MGS stews in a location. The area becomes iconic. You think snow when you think of MGS1, the tanker in MGS2, or the jungle in MGS3. It's a central, intimate locale that takes a character of its own. It feels lived in. Like the caves of Shadow Moses having wolves. Or the pin up girl posters in the lockers in the tanker. MGSV isn't like that. You prefer to bake in the scenery and locales. GZ is definitely more that kind of thing. MGSV isn't that kind of game unfortunately. None of its locales are terribly memorable.

I haven't played Hitman 1 or 2 but I'm looking forward to them because I love Blood Money and everything points to it being a return to form and evolution on the formula.

I would say your critique on MGSV is fair but I also think you're being too hard on it at the same time. But I won't begrudge you for that because it's clear you're only hard on it because you love MGS and you have certain expectations that come with that. I'm that way with FFXIII.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:10:54 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2019, 02:48:23 AM »

What?
Because it doesn't.

You tell me open world game, I think of Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead, Skyrim, or even something like Gravity Rush. I think of games that create this big "world". The good ones create a world you want to explore, have a feeling that you can go everywhere(not all the time though), and are an actual place. I put in GTA3 yesterday and still remember the streets and landmarks. I don't love Skyrim, but I felt like I was traversing an actual country and world. It was amazing to see the scale and craft that goes into these virtual cityscapes, nations, worlds. The promise of open worlds to me was games creating virtual places with things I want to see. Places that make me feel like I'm traveling through a place.

To be fair I don't like most open world games, because especially modern ones just seem like they just fill them with copy and paste mission design. They create the world and then go "oh whatever throw some enemies in it". My problem with modern games in general is they craft these big places to explore and then don't craft anything else beyond that.

I've liked games like Red Dead 2 and Mafia 2 because the world itself is just atmosphere if anything. But I realize espically in games like Mafia 2, this may not be a popular opinion.

But Metal Gear Solid V doesn't do anything like that. The open world feels dull and I don't want to be in it. Let me ask you, when choosing where to land you chose to land closet to the objective? Probably, because you just want to get to where the mission is. The in between is whatever, it's tedious. While fast travel is nice in games, I rarley use it. I don't think it was in Red Dead 2, but I did'nt mind traveling because the world itself wasn't boring and was immersive anyway. I would want to stay immersed in it. My favorite mission in Oblivion is when you and two other characters go on an epic horse ride. I want my open worlds to feel like places.

And you know MGSV could have done that. MGS3 is not open world. It's linear big zones connected, but it sure feels like a place. I sure feel like I'm progressing through an environment. People may dodge on Horizon's open world, but I loved it because it took it's time having you journey through the world. It wasn't just here's a big place, do whatever. It was more deliberate in how it handed out the world.

The idea of open world MGS to me should have been anything but PW influenced. Snake is thrown into an open world and it should have played out like Red Dead 2. Though obviously yknow with MGSV's gameplay. Where he has to progress and survive in this environment, like he does MGS3's jungle. Gain new weapons and skills, maybe have some Metriod like puzzles. It should have felt like the older MGS games, but on a bigger level. You're not just sneaking through a military base, a environmental plant, or a jungle. You're sneaking through a country.

Instead it's this weird menu mission based game that I ask why is it even open world. I select my mission and want to get as close to the mission area as possible. The open world to me is irrelevant. As bland as Koei Tecmo's attempts at open world environments. I mean yeah the game does kind of do what I wanted from Far Cry games. You know survey bases and figure out how I want to get to them. I don't like Ubisoft check list open world games, but you know when I was playing Blood Dragon which is basicly attack several basses the game, I also questioned what was the point of it being open world.

Either way the open world is'nt even my only problems with the game. I hate the story. How empty it is and how lame the plot twist is. I hate Peace Walker and it's influences. The lack of boss battles. Pretty much all of act 2 is just terrible. I just think the game is bad. But it plays well.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2019, 03:14:30 AM »

What the hell, this is literally pointless. From the creator of Metal Gear comes 'Guy trying to keep his balance while carrying a whole lot of shit in his backpack and also there's a baby in some weird liquid for some reason'. ???
Hi

Svejk

« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2019, 08:40:55 AM »
Kojima made SNATCHER, brehs....   SNATCHER....   :tocry    And that game had practically NO gameplay and was still stellar. 

Fucking bring all that you got, Kojima!!  :mods :mouf    :gamer

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »
I'm gonna mock and clown this game but I'll still pick it up whenever it hits PC. :lol Much like MGSV got a couple fixes over time I expect the same in the PS4 release period to perfect it and I'll do my best to avoid spoilers before jumping in on PC.

Himu

« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
 Lol at Kojima haters.

Play MGS in European extreme and kiss my ass. Bye.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2019, 09:05:31 AM »
I like:

Snatcher
Policenauts (Snatcher is better)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3

And unless I'm forgetting something, that's about it for me when it comes to Hideo games.  Just could not get into the other MGS games unless we're counting non-Hideo MGS- I liked Ghost Babel.

Death Stranding just does not appeal to me.  I was all over PT/Silent Hills and it sucks that it will never see the light of day.  #Fuckonami.

What?
Because it doesn't.

You tell me open world game, I think of Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead, Skyrim, or even something like Gravity Rush. I think of games that create this big "world". The good ones create a world you want to explore, have a feeling that you can go everywhere(not all the time though), and are an actual place. I put in GTA3 yesterday and still remember the streets and landmarks. I don't love Skyrim, but I felt like I was traversing an actual country and world. It was amazing to see the scale and craft that goes into these virtual cityscapes, nations, worlds. The promise of open worlds to me was games creating virtual places with things I want to see. Places that make me feel like I'm traveling through a place.

To be fair I don't like most open world games, because especially modern ones just seem like they just fill them with copy and paste mission design. They create the world and then go "oh whatever throw some enemies in it". My problem with modern games in general is they craft these big places to explore and then don't craft anything else beyond that.

I've liked games like Red Dead 2 and Mafia 2 because the world itself is just atmosphere if anything. But I realize espically in games like Mafia 2, this may not be a popular opinion.

But Metal Gear Solid V doesn't do anything like that. The open world feels dull and I don't want to be in it. Let me ask you, when choosing where to land you chose to land closet to the objective? Probably, because you just want to get to where the mission is. The in between is whatever, it's tedious. While fast travel is nice in games, I rarley use it. I don't think it was in Red Dead 2, but I did'nt mind traveling because the world itself wasn't boring and was immersive anyway. I would want to stay immersed in it. My favorite mission in Oblivion is when you and two other characters go on an epic horse ride. I want my open worlds to feel like places.

And you know MGSV could have done that. MGS3 is not open world. It's linear big zones connected, but it sure feels like a place. I sure feel like I'm progressing through an environment. People may dodge on Horizon's open world, but I loved it because it took it's time having you journey through the world. It wasn't just here's a big place, do whatever. It was more deliberate in how it handed out the world.

The idea of open world MGS to me should have been anything but PW influenced. Snake is thrown into an open world and it should have played out like Red Dead 2. Though obviously yknow with MGSV's gameplay. Where he has to progress and survive in this environment, like he does MGS3's jungle. Gain new weapons and skills, maybe have some Metriod like puzzles. It should have felt like the older MGS games, but on a bigger level. You're not just sneaking through a military base, a environmental plant, or a jungle. You're sneaking through a country.

Instead it's this weird menu mission based game that I ask why is it even open world. I select my mission and want to get as close to the mission area as possible. The open world to me is irrelevant. As bland as Koei Tecmo's attempts at open world environments. I mean yeah the game does kind of do what I wanted from Far Cry games. You know survey bases and figure out how I want to get to them. I don't like Ubisoft check list open world games, but you know when I was playing Blood Dragon which is basicly attack several basses the game, I also questioned what was the point of it being open world.

Either way the open world is'nt even my only problems with the game. I hate the story. How empty it is and how lame the plot twist is. I hate Peace Walker and it's influences. The lack of boss battles. Pretty much all of act 2 is just terrible. I just think the game is bad. But it plays well.

I'm not a fan of the game either- the game play is good and I didn't like much else about it.  Dropped it pretty quickly- reminds me of MGS2 in that I enjoyed the beginning (Tanker/Ground Zeroes) and then lost interest when it got to the game proper.  But I don't agree that doesn't feel like an open-world game at all.  Dull?  OK.  Still open-world.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:22:04 AM by bork »
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2019, 12:10:19 PM »
Ok? The bigger point is that it fails as an open world. Sure it’s an open world game in the sense that oh boy the made a big land mass of whatever.

Nier 2 is technically open world too. Not going to stop me from saying it was crap and hardly felt like one. V’s open world likewise feels irrelevant.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:20:12 PM by Rahxephon91 »

paprikastaude

« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
lol most GTA games can only dream of having the amount of legit interactivity and useful mission alternatives of MGSV.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
Yeah you’re right. MGSV’s gameplay is great and offers lots of interactivity and mission alternatives......

...in a boring ass open world game that didn’t need to be one and could instead not wasted its time with that and just made something like Hitman.

Pretty much all GTA games have a more memorable and realized open world then MGSV can even dream of.

MGSV’s open world is as interesting as a Koei Tecmo creation.

Let’s land the Hellio out of the way, at the furthest point away from the mission area because I like being in and traversing this open world...said no one while playing MGSV.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:55:53 PM by Rahxephon91 »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »
they start you far away in order to let you take any number of routes around the objective/base you are heading to. hitman doesn't start you next to the target, you still have to make your way there.

other than that there's no requirement to be in the open world. if you want it to be like hitman just call a chopper as soon as you complete the objective and then you're good to go.

Himu

« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2019, 01:21:08 PM »
GTA has lacked multiple ways to carry out mission objective since at least San Andreas.

During IV pre-release they hyped up Hitman-esque ways to take out enemies but there was only really one way to proceed. Compared to III for instance, where you're tasked with assassinating Salvatore and you had so many ways to accomplish it, the series has actually regressed in terms of mission freedom. Using GTA as an example of mission freedom against MGSV won't work well.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »
If I go by that atmosphere argument, GTA needs to be open world much less. I can get the same thematical backdrops in linear shooters and driving games, except with real level design and more focused atmosphere, without GTA's janky controls and lame icon-based story progression. I can't get the gameplay experience of MGSV out of any linear stealth game, which makes the open world way more essential than most titles. Others simply spread linear missions over a random map through icons (while cutting well crafted level design). The open world in MGSV however is the game. And doing whatever you want is among the core of the atmosphere. I actually feel like I'm a legend spy in enemy territory and I can do whatever I want on a mission. In GTA I can't do anything freely except amok runs and deciding which icon/linear mission to choose first.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »
Of course Hitman doesn’t drop you right next to the targer. That would be dumb. No it drops you into a level crafted around the target and then asks you to figure out the rest.

MGSV drops you off in pointless land mass that you don’t give a shit about that you have to trudge through to get to the mission area. Which then after that you will get close to the mission area and do your actual planning. But first you had to do awesome busy work of traveling through a bland open world. Why even have this?

The fact that your telling me that I don’t have to spend my time in the open world and can just ignore it, in an open world game is pretty damning.

I did do that, that’s why I think the game is a shitty open works game.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »
or is it the most open possible? :rollsafe

spoiler (click to show/hide)
nah it's mostly empty but i had fun fucking around with dudes in the mini encampments and such
[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #210 on: September 19, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »
GTA has lacked multiple ways to carry out mission objective since at least San Andreas.

During IV pre-release they hyped up Hitman-esque ways to take out enemies but there was only really one way to proceed. Compared to III for instance, where you're tasked with assassinating Salvatore and you had so many ways to accomplish it, the series has actually regressed in terms of mission freedom. Using GTA as an example of mission freedom against MGSV won't work well.
uh I wasn’t using GTA as an example of mission freedom. It’s gotten more and more limited since 3. With Red Dead 2 being one of the most limiting games out there by Rockstar.

I was using it as an example of an actual crafted virtual world that dosent bore me as a place. That I don’t ask why I’m here.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:04:29 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2019, 05:52:04 PM »
*drops tank on Rahx' head*

*drags corpse to bathroom*

*is spotted by the KGB*

*calls in airstrike*

*detonates carefully placed C4 to bring down guard towers*

"LIKE A REBEL YELLLLLL"

BRING THE LEGEND BACK TO LIFE
🤴

eleuin

• perennial loser

Himu

« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2019, 12:00:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/Neo_Bomberman/status/1174851445453012992

I mean, Kojima has made great woman characters before? Sniper Wolf, Naomi, Mei Ling, The Boss are all good characters. He has just regressed somehow.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2019, 05:42:56 AM »
The reality is he wrote some good male characters and some good female characters, and then some shit male and female characters, but that won't get you any likes/retweets.  :doge

The only difference is that his sexualization of female characters is generally less comedic than his sexualization of male ones.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2019, 05:54:12 AM »
Loitering The Game

:lol
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »
The reality is he wrote some good male characters and some good female characters, and then some shit male and female characters, but that won't get you any likes/retweets.  :doge

The only difference is that his sexualization of female characters is generally less comedic than his sexualization of male ones.

I mean, that's true generally. Even without any sort of intent, naked men are generally seen as funnier than women.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2019, 01:17:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1175577723554734081
This minute long trailer makes it looks like an actual game, but the TGS stuff made it kind of not.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2019, 01:28:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1175577723554734081
This minute long trailer makes it looks like an actual game, but the TGS stuff made it kind of not.

You mean the trailer with no gameplay?
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2019, 12:00:47 AM »

I mean, Kojima has made great woman characters before? Sniper Wolf, Naomi, Mei Ling, The Boss are all good characters. He has just regressed somehow.

"Most Kojima hates women" writers will argue that those characters are also not particularly good from a non male perspective.
NO

kingv

« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
It’s fucking Kojima, so I can almost guarantee that that all of the trailers but the 40 minute gameplay thing are some kind of swerve.

Himu

« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2019, 02:55:02 AM »

"Most Kojima hates women" writers will argue that those characters are also not particularly good from a non male perspective.

They're about as good as the rest of male cast so a complaint like that makes no sense.
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2019, 09:01:49 AM »
The special edition PS4 is up for preorder on Amazon if anyone cares. For some reason I thought the controller had a little baby in it but it's just the motor.  :'(

kingv

« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2019, 09:09:56 AM »
I thought about the special edition, but what the hell Am I going to do with a fake baby in a jar? The hand from 5 was actually pretty cool though.

Also, I know one of my friends will buy it so I will be able to check out the collectible

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
I thought about the special edition, but what the hell Am I going to do with a fake baby in a jar? The hand from 5 was actually pretty cool though.

Also, I know one of my friends will buy it so I will be able to check out the collectible
Fake?!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #227 on: October 02, 2019, 01:38:24 AM »
NGL, I experience weird jealousy how this guy gets treated like an auteur for turning in games with incoherent stories and iffy controls.

bluemax

« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2019, 01:57:28 AM »
I wonder if people will still fellate him for making the most expensive walking simulator of all time.

Who am I kidding...
NO

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #229 on: October 02, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »
NGL, I experience weird jealousy how this guy gets treated like an auteur for turning in games with incoherent stories and iffy controls.
Stories aside, MGS 1, 2 and 3 are pretty genius from a design perspective, and certainly unique, not to mention influential.
Above that though, the guy certainly knows how to hustle and build his ("KOJIMA") brand, which is really what sets him apart from other talented guys like Michel Ancel or whoever else.
Hidetaka Miyazaki could've learned a thing or two from him in that regard, even though the fans did some of the work for him.

I was thinking about this in comparison to R*, because in some interview the Houser brothers mentioned they didn't want their name to feature front and center, as they really wanted to build the "Rockstar" brand above all.
It's really the opposite approach to someone who literally called the company with his own name.

Theoretically, you could buy Rockstar from them and lose 0 brand value in the public eye, but you can't buy Kojima Productions from Kojima, without rendering it pointless.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2019, 07:07:49 PM »
chvrches being involved gives me very little confidence and even though it's based on conjecture, kojima seems to be unfocused. time is only so limited and the last time he was splitting it between overseeing his own studio and all the pressers and shit lead to easily his worst game and this go around he's whoring it up with a bunch of celebrities so the odds are strong with this game being shit. i hope i'm wrong, i really do.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #231 on: October 02, 2019, 07:41:09 PM »
that chvrches tweet is so gross
◕‿◕

kingv

« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2019, 07:57:27 PM »
Isn’t the game already gold?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2019, 08:08:46 PM »
chvrches being involved gives me very little confidence and even though it's based on conjecture, kojima seems to be unfocused. time is only so limited and the last time he was splitting it between overseeing his own studio and all the pressers and shit lead to easily his worst game and this go around he's whoring it up with a bunch of celebrities so the odds are strong with this game being shit. i hope i'm wrong, i really do.
MGSV was already an incoherent mess, despite the great core gameplay.
Although this time he doesn't have the "Fuck Konami" shield on his side.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2019, 08:23:30 PM »
I have that chvrches shirt  8)

kingv

« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
There’s a lot of things I liked about MGS V gameplay, but yeah, the story was mostly a kiss.

Opening scene was good.

Volgin was good

Bosses were mostly good.

Part where you kill all your troops was good.

Kiefer was dumb as was revolver ocelot new voice.

But for some reason the part in that game that sticks with me the most is like what I remember as a 20 minute codec conversation about hamburgers.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »
Literally the only gameplay I've seen so far is some clunky movement and triple a ladder mechanics. Oh, and having to sing your baby to sleep. The rest of it is cinematic dazzle.
每天生气

Chooky

« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2019, 08:39:25 PM »
this game is gonna have as much gameplay as snatcher

i'll still pick it up at some point tho

bluemax

« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2019, 12:35:38 AM »

This is what a lot of game directors do after a certain point on the game. They don't write code or script missions or regress bugs or fix textures or tighten up animations etc etc. So they either do press stuff or they "play test" the game and yell at the people who do all the actual work. The dev team is probably working on the Day 1 patch that actually finishes the game. There's almost nothing productive for someone like Kojima to do at this stage.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #239 on: October 03, 2019, 12:41:34 AM »
Stories aside, MGS 1, 2 and 3 are pretty genius from a design perspective, and certainly unique, not to mention influential.
Above that though, the guy certainly knows how to hustle and build his ("KOJIMA") brand, which is really what sets him apart from other talented guys like Michel Ancel or whoever else.
Hidetaka Miyazaki could've learned a thing or two from him in that regard, even though the fans did some of the work for him.

I was thinking about this in comparison to R*, because in some interview the Houser brothers mentioned they didn't want their name to feature front and center, as they really wanted to build the "Rockstar" brand above all.
It's really the opposite approach to someone who literally called the company with his own name.

Theoretically, you could buy Rockstar from them and lose 0 brand value in the public eye, but you can't buy Kojima Productions from Kojima, without rendering it pointless.

It's OK with me that people like stuff that I don't like. It's just weird that the overseas Otaku contingent is full-on "KOJIMA-SAMA" when it's clear this guy would rather be directing movies, from the amount of cutscenes he puts in his games, and the damned controls are just bad. FWIW, I also hated Resident Evil/Biohazard's remote-control-car scheme, and that game has had no trouble getting on without my support.