Author Topic: Nier Automata  (Read 36176 times)

Wrath2X

Nier Automata
« on: December 23, 2016, 02:39:17 PM »
So awesome.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:09:04 AM by Dosukebe »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: So how awesome is the Nier Automata demo?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »
Incoming fans of Nier who never actually played Nier
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »
It was pretty good. Reminds me a lot of Drakengard 3 [not coincidentally, it's got the same director], but with much improved combat [Drakengard 3's combat was kinda stiff]. I'm definitely hyped even more for it now, fortunately it comes out a bout a month before Persona 5.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 03:04:03 PM »
It was cool.  Felt Nier, felt Platinum MGR.  Cutscenes are cool, lots of mecha whooo, music got good by the end.  Definitely sold me on playing it Day 1.

That being said I don't really get the uber praise.  The grunt combat was borderline dull and the shooting was simple and could get old real fast.  This doesn't feel like Bayonetta Platinum but MGR and I'm one of the few people who think MGR was average and fairly shallow (but fun!)

I really do like the fast dashing through the stage though, feels slick.  Also game looks great on PS4 Pro.

I do like that the game is creative like the first Nier with it's camera angels like turning into a top down twin stick shooter or having panzer dragon/s&p type flying bullet dodging.

Tbh that the combat is fairly shallow and will probably be very repetitive actually just makes it feel more like Nier and I think it works because if you have a lot of lows in the middle then it makes the cool shit highs seem way better.  Whereas Bayo is like high high higher high etc...

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »
yeah if it ain't Kamiya I'm not gonna expect an amazing dynamic combo system. that said it plays very smoothly, which is a massive improvement from the first game. i felt like the original had a lot of cool ideas but clunky implementation; this one doesn't seem like it'll have that problem at all. and as long as it doesn't have you running back and forth across the same maps we'll be set!
pcp

Beezy

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 04:24:34 PM »
Not sure why Bebpo is expecting action game quality gameplay from an action rpg.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
Incoming fans of Nier who never actually played Nier

:rofl

So true.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 05:23:44 PM »
IVE ALWAYS BEEN A FAN
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 05:24:46 PM »
nier 1 was okay
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 06:36:16 PM »
Always been down with Nier too, ever since I first drifted while riding the Boar...
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »
Not sure why Bebpo is expecting action game quality gameplay from an action rpg.

Because the demo wasn't an action rpg?  I mean if this has a big open world like Nier that you run across and do quests and stuff it's one thing.  If it's structured with a bunch of "stages" like this demo then there is zero difference between this and MGR so why can't it play as a super HQ character action game?  I'm actually going to be a little bummed if it is stage-based because my I really liked the field stuff with boar riding in the first game.

I mean the action was solid, and similar to a character action game.  It just wasn't anything amazing but maybe that's because you're low level.  Plus hopefully you get other weapons like Nier 1, wasn't too big on the feel of the light/heavy attacks with the sword.  Heavy is just too slow for my style and light is a bit slow too for a standard action sword slash. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 07:15:16 PM »
It better be an action RPG like the original Nier which was one of my top five games last gen.
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 07:22:06 PM »
Everything I've read suggests that that's the direction they're going with it.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »
I haven't seen any trailers or anything though, just going off the demo.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »
Well Nier 1 was garbage, but this well this actually seems like a cool game based on the demo.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 09:05:29 PM »
I haven't seen any trailers or anything though, just going off the demo.

Watch some of this video:

It shows off the open-world, RPG aspects [and also warthog-riding].
dog

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 03:53:34 AM »
Well Nier 1 was garbage
Why can't I dislike posts?  Demi pls

Vertigo

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
It's pretty good fun. I've found myself replaying the demo as it controls so well.

The side and top down stuff though is very hit and miss

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 01:17:21 PM »
The switching perspectives is going to be real lame. Why I hated it in the first game because when they did it, it wasn't fun. The still had a reason. They changed into a RE style game because that part was trying to go for a haunted mansion horror feel. It changed into a text novel because they needed to drop lots of info. They changed into a sidescroller to show enviroments smartly and cheaply. This just does it to do it or so the demo implies.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 07:17:57 PM »
I thought it was fucking amazing

I was like

What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 11:39:12 PM »
I like the demo, but my initial impressions are that this is not as good as I was hoping it would be. The game feels kind of stiff and almost dumbed-down compared to Bayonetta 2. Not a fan of the changing, fixed camera angle sections either. I get that they're going for a different game play feel (it's almost shooter like at times), but I'm not sure if it works that well. The 2D sections are fine but the top down sections felt confusing at times.

But this is still on the must-buy list.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 11:53:54 PM »
Help me enjoy the first nier's gameplay

I just can't

I love the story but the gameplay Jesus Christ I'm sorry. Help
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 11:57:35 PM »
i don't like it either but the game is short and easy. just grab an op sword and bop stuff till the credits roll.
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 12:15:26 AM »
What was so good about the first Nier? I'll never understand how it got the praise it did.

Himu

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 12:40:42 AM »
i don't like it either but the game is short and easy. just grab an op sword and bop stuff till the credits roll.

How
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 12:43:55 AM »
What was so good about the first Nier? I'll never understand how it got the praise it did.
You say this as if it got universal praise. Some people liked it. Some people didn't. Understanding why we liked it won't change your opinion of it.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 12:52:23 AM »

How

um i don't fuckin remember. i tried to do all the sidequests so I'm sure I got a good weapon from one of those
pcp

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »
I don't think I want to play a sequel to a 68 metacritic game.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »

I just can't

Spears rule supreme.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 11:05:55 AM »
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 01:37:52 PM »

:fbm :fbm :fbm
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 01:51:26 PM »
lmao

(bfg edition was really good though)
pcp

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 05:14:15 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

:fbm :fbm :fbm

Maaaan, that doesn't count. It's a port!

The original is an 87.
 :patel

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »

I just can't

Yeah, me too. I wanted to like it, could NOT get into it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nier Automata
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »
For anyone not wanting to wait another two weeks, the Asian-region versions of the game run in full English.  I caved and downloaded the Japanese version last night, but can't say much about the game since I only got to play the portion that becomes available after 10 GB has downloaded...which is the same as the demo.  Gotta start over today.

The Hong Kong store has the game for about $51, BTW.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:14:36 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
It has been confirmed that the game has at least four different 'routes' to play through with additional/different story, enemies, areas, and different endings.  You also play as other characters in these routes. 

...Can't wait to see the game get pissed on by reviewers who claim it's too short without realizing this.  :doge
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »
However, YouTuber TheSeraphim17 managed to put together a short video showcasing how gamers can remove 2B’s skirt and play her in nothing but the leotard thong.

During the actual game, when you’re running around on Earth, you’ll need to activate the self-destruct sequence.

This is done by pressing and holding down the L3 and R3 buttons on the left and right analog sticks, as indicated in the image below.

In the game, proceed to activate 2B’s self destruct sequence. A timer will count down until she blows herself up.

Once she falls down and presumably dies, her lower skirt will blow off.

Proceed to quickly heal up 2B so that you don’t die.

Once 2B is healed she’ll get back up and will be in the body-suit thong leotard, giving you a full view of her voluptuous backside.

Apparently this works for the male 9S droid too.
 :takei
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 03:13:35 PM »
The game is pretty awesome so far, BTW. Great combination of an action RPG with SHMUP mechanics and a little bit of Bayonetta thrown in.  I love how you start off going down to Earth in your transforming ship/mech and do a bit of shoot-em-up action before touching down.

And the soundtrack is stellar.
:delicious
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
The game is pretty awesome so far, BTW. Great combination of an action RPG with SHMUP mechanics and a little bit of Bayonetta thrown in.  I love how you start off going down to Earth in your transforming ship/mech and do a bit of shoot-em-up action before touching down.

And the soundtrack is stellar.
:delicious

Damn cant wait to play this, the demo was amazing

also name change?
What

archie4208

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 05:39:10 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/24/nier-automata-players-upset-discovering-trash-item-called-nin64/

brb preordering.

An item called "Bone-EX" would have been even better considering how Platinum got fucked over by MS.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/24/nier-automata-players-upset-discovering-trash-item-called-nin64/

brb preordering.
Nonetheless, a lot of players in Japan saw it as a rather tasteless comment to call the old Nintendo hardware “trash” as described in the info and began demanding Square Enix to change it. Producer Yosuke Saito followed up with the tweet to address the issue, saying that they will “change the name of an item you’ve all pointed out” as well as some bug fixes in the next patch.
:doge

Fuck entitled fans consumers.

Fuck Japanese devs for avoiding controversy, particularly when it's manufactured.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
I've put ten-plus hours into the game now.  Really enjoying it and the atmosphere and soundtrack are just amazing.  The pacing is pretty good, so far, and the game doesn't really do any hand-holding, which is much-appreciated.  I think I'm getting close to finishing the game now, or should I say, I'm getting close to finishing the first part of the game since it's more like three campaigns in one.

The story and atmosphere are the big things here.   It becomes pretty obvious what is going on fairly quickly in, but the game is written well enough that it stays pretty engaging.  The plot is that at some point centuries in the past, aliens came to earth.  Rather than invade directly, they sent out robots to work for them.  In turn, humans fled to the moon and had androids fight for them.  So this is one big proxy war between machines.  Initially things appear to be pretty straightforward, with your side, androids, going down to the earth and destroying mindless robot drones, but you quickly find that there are robots with full intelligence and consciousness. 

Major story spoiler:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The android/robot war is completely pointless.  Aliens and humans are long dead and the war is just continuing on to give the machines a sense of 'purpose'. 
[close]

You play as Android 2B with 9S as your companion the first time around, then play as 9S the second time with some bits of new story (and different game play), and then you play as another character after this with a lot of new story and areas to explore. 

Massive story spoiler:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I haven't even gotten this far but found out that what's really going on with 2B and 9S is that 2B pretty much knows all this already.  Her job is to watch 9S, who during the course of the game finds out about the android/robot war, and then kill him/wipe his memory over and over again.
[close]

The action is good, although I kind of wish this was a pure level-based action game instead of an 'open-world' style action-RPG.  There's a lot of unnecessary running back and forth for a good while until you finally get to a point where fast travel is possible.  They should have had this available from the start-- The save points you use to travel between have to be found and liberated from robots guarding them anyway.  You can equip various chips that enhance your abilities, but if you don't want to bother with this, you can also have the game auto-equip them for you and keep things more action-oriented.  The game play is mainly fully-3D hack and slash/shooting, but there's also some SHMUP-style sections and 2.5D platforming/action areas as well.

I'm pretty engrossed in the game right now and it's making me want to go back and check out the original Nier and Drakengard 3 when I'm done with it, although next up is going to be Zelda.  Speaking of those other two games, there are a few Nier characters who pop up and there's also a certain type of flower you can spot here and there that appears to be the same as the one Zero wears in Drakengard 3, in what I assume is a nod to that game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:27:44 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

archie4208

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 03:05:40 PM »
Anyone getting it on PC?  Thinking about it, but the system requirements (a 980 is recommended for a game that looks like that  :dizzy) scare me into thinking it's a shoddy port.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 03:36:39 PM »
Too many good games this month, how am I supposed to play Zelda, Horizon, and this?
©@©™

Lucretius

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »
My copy shipped from Square Enix's store last week. Looking forward to this. I didn't play any of the Drakengard games or the first Nier, so I looked up some YouTube story recaps. I wish I hadn't now. This lore seems more convoluted than the Metal Gear multiverse. Luckily it sounds like they made Automata pretty stand alone story-wise.
lip

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 04:31:49 PM »
Too many good games this month, how am I supposed to play Zelda, Horizon, and this?

Seriously.  I skipped out on Horizon and will not try it until I'm done with Nier and Zelda.  And I still have Yakuza 0... :dizzy

Luckily it sounds like they made Automata pretty stand alone story-wise.

Seems to be the case, unless it gets full-blown insane later on, where I haven't made it to yet.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »
My copy shipped from Square Enix's store last week. Looking forward to this. I didn't play any of the Drakengard games or the first Nier, so I looked up some YouTube story recaps. I wish I hadn't now. This lore seems more convoluted than the Metal Gear multiverse. Luckily it sounds like they made Automata pretty stand alone story-wise.

Uh, I've never played Drakengard and Nier was just fine. I think you're just too worried about the "overall" lore when they might as well be vague connections.
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2017, 11:31:17 PM »
Honestly they are all pretty stand alone. The connections between the Drakengard and Nier games is more like background stuff that really won't effect what you get from the story as you experience it.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
Just watch this video...

...and realize that the lore of Drakengard/Nier doesn't make a damn bit of sense anyway, so don't worry about it.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
There are some characters from the first Nier in Nier Automata, but I'm still not far enough in to be able to say how much they really matter to the previous game's story. 

But it doesn't seem like you need to have played Nier to understand things at the end from what I've read.
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 08:49:45 PM »
Ordered the collector's edition from the SE online store and it shipped to me all banged up, the inside of the box was torn.

The FFXV collector's edition was fine when I ordered it off there.

Fuck... hopefully I can get a refund or a new one.
^_^

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2017, 09:02:14 PM »
Edit: Nvm, I'm dumb!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2017, 11:15:17 PM »
Wow starting off with an Ikuruga reference.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:45 PM »
THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING GOOD OMG.

I shelved Zelda to play this that's how fucking good it is.
^_^

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
Super stoked for the March 17th Steam release since I won't be able to play it console.

Had a scare they wouldn't release it on Steam in my country, but that was recently debunked! Would love to get a switch port though, but uh, doesn't seem too likely?

archie4208

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2017, 10:16:38 PM »
I grabbed the PC version too.  Hope it isn't a shit port!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
I grabbed the PC version too.  Hope it isn't a shit port!

Squenix ports have generally been at least alright, as have the PC versions of Platinum's games, so I wouldn't expect there to be any major issues.
dog

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2017, 04:40:43 AM »
Still can't preorder NieR here, and they've region locked the Steam NieR page, so that page doesn't work for me (it shows up in Google search though). I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm guessing there's a reason why Japan can't preorder it yet, and why they seem to be releasing it separately on Steam. Have this happened before, aside from Biohazard/RE?

http://support.jp.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=13421&la=0&kid=76161&ret=faqtop&c=4&sc=0
Square's FAQ specifically says Windows Steam version, and has the same release date as the one on Steam. I was hoping to grab some preorder bonuses, but that doesn't seem like it's happening. :'(

At this point I'll be happy if I get to play it at all!

If they censor 2B's crotch in the JPN release, I will rage.

Boredfrom

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2017, 04:51:45 AM »
This is my first Taro game that I finish with all the routes but man, it feels like torture porn with the shit that happens in route C-D.

The game is strangely uplifting while being depressing as fuck, even in the end.

Soma is still the better depressing existential tale about robots in video games