Author Topic: Nier Automata  (Read 36166 times)

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
Re: Nier Automata
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2017, 09:56:14 PM »
Aw yiss, NieR is finally up for pre-order here on Steam, but then I realized I can't afford it because of the Switch. lol
Perhaps it's time to cancel my WoW subscription. Either way I'll play it sooner or later I hope, I'm just glad it's on PC!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »
Then cancel your switch, save you plenty of money
fat

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:31 PM »
Been considering selling it after I finish Zelda, but might change my mind later. ┐(´~`)┌

Beezy

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2017, 11:15:33 PM »
Gonna need a review of the PC version before I jump on it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2017, 11:27:03 PM »
I got Ending K, lol.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
ate a mackerel and died; thanks a lot, Jackass-san  :'(
[close]
©@©™

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
The 2.5D fight in the forest castle against
2A
[close]
was way harder than it needed to be since the characters blended into the scenery and I couldn't tell which one I was controlling. Ugh.
野球

Boredfrom

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
The 2.5D fight in the forest castle against
2A
[close]
was way harder than it needed to be since the characters blended into the scenery and I couldn't tell which one I was controlling. Ugh.

Adjust your brightness as it is not going to be any easier in later parts.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
I just finished the Forest Castle, game is so freaking good. Platinum Gods. :lawd
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 11:33:33 PM »
"I'll kick the shit out of thee!"

"Pisseth off!"
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
I just finished the Forest Castle, game is so freaking good. Platinum Gods. :lawd

Just an advice: you are close to the point of no return. Must sub quest are going to be locked for a while after this.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2017, 05:21:04 PM »

Just an advice: you are close to the point of no return. Must sub quest are going to be locked for a while after this.

Too late.  :lol

It's okay, I'm not really worried about 100%ing it right now. I'm just moving the main story along and knocking out the sub-quests that I come across and look fun. There are a few that I tried and ended up just giving up on, like Jackass's Challenge and Speed Star. So far I'm still super pleased with the way everything is going. I finished Route A this afternoon.

2B is such a good oneechan to 9S. :uguu
[close]
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
now I'm all like

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
I may have broken the game.  :'(

Mild Spoilers
In 9S's route, when 2B wakes up, the game plays back all the fiddling around in the option menus that you did as 2B at the first of the game. It's a cute scene, BUT...I got a text or something when I was playing that scene for the first and I left the game running and the system ended up going to sleep before I came back to it. Now that I'm replaying the scene as 9S, the menu is just going nuts, flipping through a single option repeatedly, endlessly. I've let it set for about 10 minutes so far and it's still stuck on this screen and it won't let me skip it. I feel like this says something about robots, AI, and folly of assigning meaning to our lives or something.  :doge
[close]

n/m, it finally worked itself out
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:39:15 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:10 PM »

I think I'm at the point of no return

just beat the factory with all the religious robots
[close]

Can you go back and do the quests you missed?
^_^

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2017, 07:37:31 PM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2017, 08:49:07 PM »

I think I'm at the point of no return

just beat the factory with all the religious robots
[close]

Can you go back and do the quests you missed?

No until Route B, and only some missions. Is until
Unlocking chapter select in Route c-e
[close]
that you can finish your sub quests at leisure.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 04:21:04 AM »
THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING GOOD OMG.

I shelved Zelda to play this that's how fucking good it is.

Dont forget Horizon and Nioh and Gravity Rush 2 dawg
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING GOOD OMG.

I shelved Zelda to play this that's how fucking good it is.

Dont forget Horizon and Nioh and Gravity Rush 2 dawg

Haven't played Horizon or Nioh yet, but I shelved GR2 after like chapter 19. Will get back to that one too :)

Have a week staycation coming up before I start my new job, and planning to catass a lot of these great games.
^_^

archie4208

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »
PC version runs at 900p when in fullscreen mode.

Cool.  Should've just got it on PS4.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »
Durante will fix it.

No, wait, what copy protection are they using? If it's Denuvo, then he might not be able to. :doge

Nevermind, I took a look at the community forums on Steam and it appears to only be upscaling from 900p when you pick fullscreen. In windowed, it renders at native resolutions. Use https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming if necessary.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:02:58 PM by Rufus »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2017, 01:23:55 PM »
I'll give this a try but I'll wait a little bit to see what kind of things need to get ironed out.
nat

archie4208

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »
Durante will fix it.

No, wait, what copy protection are they using? If it's Denuvo, then he might not be able to. :doge

Nevermind, I took a look at the community forums on Steam and it appears to only be upscaling from 900p when you pick fullscreen. In windowed, it renders at native resolutions. Use https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming if necessary.

I downloaded that program and it works fine now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2017, 04:25:56 AM »
Cant wait to get this, demo was really refreshing

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2017, 08:11:31 PM »
Cleared Route B. I'm ready for the real Dark Souls to start. :lawd
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2017, 02:22:04 AM »

Edit Read wrong, thought you finished Route A. Anyway, prepare for depression.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:27:04 AM by Boredfrom »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
Durante will fix it.

I downloaded that program and it works fine now.

Thanks for the heads up.

So the PC version is relatively ok? Just need it to run at 60fps and I'll be good.
nat

archie4208

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »
Depends on your card.  I have a 970 and had to turn AA off to get 60 FPS, and I still get periodic dips.

It's not a great port, but it's serviceable. 

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
i got:

i7 3770k
16GB RAM
GTX 1070

so hopefully it'll run ok?
nat

archie4208

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »
You'll be fine at 1080p.  I can't vouch for higher resolutions.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »

Edit Read wrong, thought you finished Route A. Anyway, prepare for depression.

I'm prepared. :fbm

Also, Nier Automata OST is GOTY.  :bow2
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2017, 06:11:42 PM »
The borderless fullscreen program does this weird thing with Nier where when I close the game, it leaves a black box in my screen that I can't close.

Is it confirmed that the game's internal buffer is at 900p when it runs @ Fullscreen 1080?
nat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »
Final Route(s) cleared. GOTY confirmed, arigato Based Yoko Taro. We shall become as gods. :rejoice

I bought the Platinum trophy. :shh
[close]
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:41 AM »
Is it confirmed that the game's internal buffer is at 900p when it runs @ Fullscreen 1080?
People noticed due to blurriness of the image and the Steam overlay looking strange. Dunno if anyone actually pixel counted.

Coax

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »

It's been found that while in exclusive fullscreen the internal resolution is still whatever you set it to in the settings but due to a mistake in the code the image displayed on the monitor is downscaled to the nearest stretched resolution then upscaled again to the native monitor resolution. It's wack but explained here:

What's going on here is that when switching to fullscreen, the game will ask Windows to switch to a mode with the given resolution that is also stretched... the programmer probably thought this exclusively referred to aspect ratio correction, but what happens instead is that if Windows can't find a stretched mode for that resolution (because it's your monitor's native resolution, and thus doesn't need to be stretched), it'll look for the closest mode that is - so the first supported resolution below your monitor's native res.

The game will still render at the selected res (hence screenshots coming out correctly), but it'll be downscaled and then upscaled again on your display (what happens on my system is that the game renders at 1080p, but the display resolution is 1680x1050 so it's downscaled to that, then my monitor or GPU upscales it to 1080p again).

Guy by the handle Kaldaien released a fix for this in a custom build of their Special K utility. Some have pointed out that Riva tuner needs to be disabled for it to not conflict with frame drops.

archie4208

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2017, 04:34:42 PM »
You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?
[close]

Then the game crashes.  :lol

9S has to keep it a secret.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »

Has some spoilers.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2017, 06:30:57 PM »
Should I be doing all these sidequests in my first playthrough?

I have 10% completed and probably another 10% active, but the game has tons of sidequests that open up by finishing sidequests on the other side of the town. I've spent well over an hour running around town from point A to point B. I know there's a fast-travel system at some point, but I don't know how long until I get it/if it's viable.

Should I just rush in for my first canon ending? Should I work towards getting all the sidequests and finding a fast travel system? Halp.

Wait until you get fast travel before you spend a lot of time on side quests. You'll get it pretty soon. After that you can do how ever many side quests you feel like. Completed side quests carry over to other playthroughs so it's never a waste to do them early (although a few of them are difficult if you're underleveled; if you see LV 60 enemies when you're LV 25, just peace out for now).
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2017, 07:34:33 PM »
Also there are some side quests that you can only do on your first playthrough and some that only open up on later playthroughs, but eventually you'll unlock Chapter Select so you can go back then for any early ones you missed if you want to.
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
With that I might be able to run it without upgrading my gpu. :aah
Hi

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
From the little bit I've played, only about 3-4 hours so far, it seems the game doesn't really come into it's own until you get the ability to fast travel around the different access points. Makes side quests much easier since the open world isn't really very interesting.
nat

Boredfrom

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
From the little bit I've played, only about 3-4 hours so far, it seems the game doesn't really come into it's own until you get the ability to fast travel around the different access points. Makes side quests much easier since the open world isn't really very interesting.

The world is very small to begin with, fast travel improves the game a lot but is not exactly difficult to get one place to another outside dungeons.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »
So I am enjoying this game but I have a few issues so far:

-I don't like the open world, even if it's small. It's kinda pointless and doesn't really add that much. I kinda would prefer if this was linear. Though maybe that's just because I'm playing Zelda and I don't really wanna have another world to run around in

-I'm about 5 hours in, I just did a pretty BIG boss sequence and it doesn't feel like that much is happening, weirdly. I can't tell if I'm just super early on before shit pops off.

-I'm hoping for more enemy variety as it continues. The tinker-toy robots are getting a little dull to fight.

These aren't huge issues, but I kinda want it to get a little crazier and weirder and more over the top and it's just sort of settling just below the level I'm wanting. Having fun though overall.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »
Also I JUST learned about the mechanic where you slot in chips which add buffs and certain gameplay tweaks like running speed, health regen, etc. I didn't even know it was a thing until I stumbled on the menu option.
nat

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »
Also I JUST learned about the mechanic where you slot in chips which add buffs and certain gameplay tweaks like running speed, health regen, etc. I didn't even know it was a thing until I stumbled on the menu option.

The game does a terrible job explaining chips.

This is why manuals are worth the 5 cents it costs to make them, publishers.
野球

FatalT

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
I really enjoyed the demo for this and am probably going to pick it up once I get my tax return. I surprisingly didn't suck at the combat and the little robot buddy that shoots helps a lot.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
Bonus: There's an achievement for doing it. :fbm

Killing 10 non-hostile machines, that is.
[close]
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »
Am I fucked?

I finished the mission at the abandoned factory with the suicide cult. Then Eve freaked out. So I saved the Resistance camp and then Pascal. Now I have to fight Eve in the city ruins pit area. But I have no healing items and I'm underleveled. 
[close]

When I die it loads me right back at the fight. Is there no way to back out of this and buy supplies? Because that really sucks. I didn't expect the game to throw me into a mission that I'm under-leveled for and not let me back out of it...I had to load back to my last save which is right after I finished the mission at the factory. I have to fight a bit to get back but:

Pascal's village is closed
The thing with the Resistance camp.

nat

Boredfrom

« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
Am I fucked?

I finished the mission at the abandoned factory with the suicide cult. Then Eve freaked out. So I saved the Resistance camp and then Pascal. Now I have to fight Eve in the city ruins pit area. But I have no healing items and I'm underleveled. 
[close]

When I die it loads me right back at the fight. Is there no way to back out of this and buy supplies? Because that really sucks. I didn't expect the game to throw me into a mission that I'm under-leveled for and not let me back out of it...I had to load back to my last save which is right after I finished the mission at the factory. I have to fight a bit to get back but:

Pascal's village is closed
The thing with the Resistance camp.

My advice

1 Look what chips do you have and if you have an auto heal without item. (I have some that heals  X% of you HP you if you kill or just damage enemies)

2 Search for items or chests in the open area and try to avoid entering the village (there is also a moment during the Final fight when you can try to avoid triggering the end game event). Enemies also drop health items once in a blue moon

3 Try to see if the other shops are open (the desert settlement and, if you did the sidequest, the forest settlement)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »
You should still be able to fast travel to the Bunker and restock from the computer in your room.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
You should still be able to fast travel to the Bunker and restock from the computer in your room.

I forgot that. That is probably the best course of action.

FatalT

« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »
One thing I do miss from this game is MGR combat. That's the best CA combat out there imo.

It wouldn't fit in this game, especially since it focuses so much on crowd control, but I'd like to see it again from Platinum.

I just played Metal Gear Rising on PC and made it to the final boss (dammit he's still a pain in the ass) but I did get NieR: Automata vibes from it. Granted I've only played the demo but I felt it. I FELT IT IN MY LOINS! I also appreciated how I could do back to earlier chapters to get more BP to level up my sword, life, battery, sub-weapons, and so on. From what I'm hearing NieR: Automata is like that as well where it's more of an action-RPG than a straight action game because I can't git gud for nothin. That's mostly why I'm staying away from Nioh.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2017, 10:15:24 PM »
This game gets wayyyy better in the second playthrough.
nat

Boredfrom

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2017, 03:42:13 AM »

Just a tip before you finish Route B, not spoiler but some new consumable  items will become available before the final battle of Route B. You will need some of them but for Route C as will make some stuff less painful. Though you would only needed in two or three fights (if you are in normal difficult, I suppose)

FatalT

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »
One thing I do miss from this game is MGR combat. That's the best CA combat out there imo.

It wouldn't fit in this game, especially since it focuses so much on crowd control, but I'd like to see it again from Platinum.

I just played Metal Gear Rising on PC and made it to the final boss (dammit he's still a pain in the ass) but I did get NieR: Automata vibes from it. Granted I've only played the demo but I felt it. I FELT IT IN MY LOINS! I also appreciated how I could do back to earlier chapters to get more BP to level up my sword, life, battery, sub-weapons, and so on. From what I'm hearing NieR: Automata is like that as well where it's more of an action-RPG than a straight action game because I can't git gud for nothin. That's mostly why I'm staying away from Nioh.
Nier is less combo execution based and more crowd control + focuses on the RPG (levels/stats) side for dmg. The combat is streamlined, but there's still a lot of tech. You can be really good at the game and beat high-level enemies, but it'll take a while... and you won't be able to speed it up unless you up your stats through leveling/upgrading/chips.

I liked how satisfying it was to pull off combos/instakill with zandatsu/the fighting style/fighting human enemies etc. in Rising.

Nier feels really good, but it just doesn't hit that perfect mark. Like, I used to pick up MGR every couple months after the PC release just to play a level because the gameplay felt so damn great. I don't do that with any SP games at all.

All the other parts of Automata are the top of its class though.

Gotcha. The insta-kills on humans and just becoming an insanely over-powered monster from grinding a bit is such a fun time with Metal Gear. I enjoyed the gameplay from the demo of NieR and everything I've read about the story is amazing but damn.

I was wanting to get this but didn't realize Persona 5 comes out next week so I'll hold off until after finishing that and just play some random backlog games until then. Still definitely want to pick this up though.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »

Just a tip before you finish Route B, not spoiler but some new consumable  items will become available before the final battle of Route B. You will need some of them but for Route C as will make some stuff less painful. Though you would only needed in two or three fights (if you are in normal difficult, I suppose)

So they show up before the final battle? I'm ok if you just spoil it for me.
nat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »

So they show up before the final battle? I'm ok if you just spoil it for me.

There are Cure items that remove status effects that you can buy and/or find before the end of Route B, but there are no status ailments until the beginning of Route C (and it only happens one time, at least on Normal, maybe more on higher levels, I dunno)[/spoiler{
[close]
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
Ok guys, once I'm done with Zelda (who knows when that will be as I'm just enjoying the hell out of it) and then Doom this or Nioh is next on the list. But, should I play Nier to enjoy this one further? Initial feedback was "Nah" but the more I hear that you'll enjoy this more if you had done the first one.
que